Baroness

- Brian Blickle / guitar
- Summer Welch / bass,vocals
- Allen Blickle / drums

CD Hyperrealist (2003)

Thanks to TheProgtologist for the addition

BARONESS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BARONESS First Music

First & SecondFirst & Second
Hyperrealist
Vinyl$34.99

More places to buy BARONESS music online Buy BARONESS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BARONESS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BARONESS First ratings distribution

BARONESS First reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars "First" is the debut release by US sludge metal act Baroness. Baroness was founded by former members of punk/metal act Johnny Welfare and the Paychecks in 2003. Released in 2003, "First" is an EP with a total playing time of 16:57 minutes. There are 3 tracks on the EP and it was released through Hyperrealist Records. The band was signed to Relapse Records for their 2007 debut album "Red Album" but released both "First" and "Second (2005)" (their second EP release) on a single CD through Hyperrealist Records in 2008. It´s note worthy that lead vocalist/guitarist John Baizley is responsible for the cover artwork (as well as the cover artwork on many other rock and metal releases by other artists).

The music on "First" is both sludgy, heavy and melodic. The vocals by frontman John Baizley are harsh. I´d say bands like Isis (early) and Mastodon have influenced Baroness greatly. Especially the latter mentioned band. The music is generally of a decent quality but the tracks are generally not that remarkable or catchy for that matter. Pretty solid but also pretty standard for the genre.

The musicianship are solid and the sound production is decent. There´s little to put a finger on but then again nothing here are above average in quality for the genre. So while "First" is a relatively enjoyable debut release by Baroness it´s obvious that the band still needed a bit more time to create an identity and to write some stronger compositions to make their presence count on the sludge metal scene. A 3 star (60%) rating is warranted.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#208816) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 26, 2009

Review by memowakeman
2 stars "First" as you can imagine is actually the first production of Baroness, a 17-minute EP released in 2003, in which they show what the band's sound would be about. I have recently gotten more into it, due to a couple of interesting live videos I watched, that is why I was interested and wanted to know more about them.

"Towerfalls" is the opener and longest track here. In this track the vocals are heavy, almost death vocals, the music is fast and powerful but in moments a bit easier and more interesting to my ears. I prefer much more the light (if there is one) side of Baroness. I like the short interlude after four minutes, and how the music restarts again.

"Coeur" is a shorter track, with great guitars and a drummer that I really like, his works is excellent always. The vocals are again growling ones, which are not my preferred. "Rise" is by far my favorite track here, with a cool introduction with repetitive notes that makes me feel hypnotized, the sound is not death metal, now it is sludge, it does have the sound I like of Baroness. The guitar and bass work is excellent, and I like how the song is progressing little by little, increasing the sound and velocity until two minutes later the growl vocals appear. The instrumental parts are great here, what a pity I don't really love the ones with voice.

Well, one song I like, two I don't, that is why I will give it only two stars, because this is for Baroness fans.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#840088) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 18, 2012

Post a review of BARONESS "First"