THE GREAT RED SPOT

Buy SILENCE KIT Music
Studio Album, released in 2007

1. Apple (13:07)
2. Venus (8:30)
3. The Great Red Spot (23:23)
4. Aurora Borealis (10:04)

Total time: 55:04

Sergey Bogatov/ bass
Evgeniy Frankevich/ guitars
Sergey Ledovskiy/drums

(c) & (p) 2007 FIGURESTATIC

Thanks to prog-jester for the addition

SILENCE KIT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SILENCE KIT The Great Red Spot Music

More places to buy SILENCE KIT music online Buy SILENCE KIT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SILENCE KIT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SILENCE KIT The Great Red Spot ratings distribution

SILENCE KIT The Great Red Spot reviews

Review by Prog-jester
4 stars SILENCE KIT truly deserve a place here – I’ve just checked Sergey’s (bass player) Top-10 and found “Relayer” and “Thick as a Brick” there ;)

This album? It’s a grower.

Definitely it is. I had some other tracks by SILENCE KIT downloaded from their MySpace or FreeMusic pages, but when you’re listening to the whole album, it’s quite another thing. Besides “The Great Red Spot” is less ambient and more metal than SK’s previous efforts. I won’t speak much about band’s bio, it has been already written by yours faithfully, I’d better get down to music. From the very catchy “Apple” intro you’re diving into SK’s world, where Post-Rock has memorable melodies, unconventional arrangements and fresh sound. No, this is not your another MONO or MOGWAI thing, this is a RUSSIAN band, hence you must look deeper! Eargasmic “Apple” coda drives to “Venus”, mellow, almost invisible track, which flows into the eponymous 23-min long journey. SK’s most unique hook is that they play Post-Rock clichés in reverse – it’s when trips are built from climaxes to mild fade-out instead of typical structures heard from hundreds of bands. “Aurora Borealis” just confirms this rule (but don’t think that they’ve just replaced one cliché with another!!!), and there’s also a relatively short bonus that follows after it.

So, if you’re tired of endless faceless GYBE or SIGUR ROS clones, SILENCE KIT is definitely a band to check out (really don’t mind !!! (c) JT). Not your usual kind of Post-Rock – while pretty conservative in a good way at the same time. Highly recommended!!!

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#140789) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 27, 2007

Review by el böthy
2 stars While Post rock is not normally my choice when it comes to listen to some good music, I do enjoy it from time to time. First of all I must say I am no expert by any means, but I do think I know enough to rate an album of the genre.

Silence Kit is, for me, the russian combination of Godspeed and Mogwai and, as far as combinations go, this isn´t very thrilling. All I hear I feel I have heard before (maybe not, probably not), there is nothing exciting about this bands music. Disonant guitars that creat textures on which the changes and tempos slowly evolve are, of coure, the main course, as it is with 90% of the Post bands anyways, but here, although we do enjoy part of the ride, the rest comes out a bit bland, with no substance and nothing to make me want to listen carefully. And the fact that all songs are very, very long is, on the contrary to most prog, not a good thing, for, as usual, Post rock takes like forever to build up (which by the way is one of the elements I like the most about the genre), but here they not only take forever, they never seem to get anywhere.

I must say that although there are some good Post bands, most of them (for me at least) are like these, uninteresting and trying to make the same stuff others are doing without realizing the genre in itself is quite restricted.

Send comments to el böthy (BETA) | Report this review (#172106) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 24, 2008

4 stars To my shame, I discovered this great Russian post-rock band only a few months ago. I saw them live this month and am going to their concert soon once again. The band consists of 5 extremely talented young guys, who play post-rock their own way. They play it dirty; they play it sincere and make t ... (read more)

Report this review (#164138) | Posted by Paper Champion | Monday, March 17, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SILENCE KIT "The Great Red Spot"