INTELLIGENT DESIGN

Shaolin Death Squad

Shaolin Death Squad Intelligent Design album cover

Buy SHAOLIN DEATH SQUAD Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. A Terrible Way To Use A Sword (4:54)
2. Catasthropic Obedience (5:24)
3. Choreographer Of Fate (8:03)
4. Radio Feeler (3:15)
5. The Face Insecurity Killed (5:37)
6. Escape The Absynthe (5:44)
7. Fall, Rise, Laugh, Fall (5:30)
8. A Story Lives Forever (4:27)
9. The First Half Of Yesterday (7:41)

Search SHAOLIN DEATH SQUAD Intelligent Design lyrics

- White Dragon / bass
- Red Dragon / guitar, vocals

CD Independent (2006)

Thanks to The T for the addition

SHAOLIN DEATH SQUAD MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SHAOLIN DEATH SQUAD Intelligent Design Music

Intelligent DesignIntelligent Design
CD Baby 2006
Five Deadly VenomsFive Deadly Venoms
CD Baby 2010
Shaolin Death SquadShaolin Death Squad
SDS Music 2004

More places to buy SHAOLIN DEATH SQUAD music online Buy SHAOLIN DEATH SQUAD & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SHAOLIN DEATH SQUAD DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SHAOLIN DEATH SQUAD Intelligent Design ratings distribution

SHAOLIN DEATH SQUAD Intelligent Design reviews

Review by The T
5 stars Another case of an unknown masterpiece.

SHAOLIN DEATH SQUAD, an American group nobody knows about, has delivered in a grandiose way with their 2006 album Intelligent Design, a brilliant album full of great musicianship, innovation, creativity, and entertainment.

We can call this music progressive-metal, but not your typical DT-style prog-metal. We hear some elements of traditional bands, but mostly we hear an eclectic mixture of all kind of different influences, which combine to create a distinct, unique sound. We hear avant-garde elements, we hear some tech- metal touches here and there, we can detect musical passages that sound like DIABLO SWING ORCHESTRA but also moments when we're reminded of ARCTURUS. There's some thrash metal in here, too, with many fast riffs and pounding rhythms. Some alternative rock has managed to infiltrate the music as well. As you can see, a complete blend of many colors in the metal spectrum. But the influences we could say are the most important in SDS's sound are definitely two: PAIN OF SALVATION, but even more, FAITH NO MORE. Yes, SDS's sounds owes a lot to both Gildenlow's outfit and to Patton's deceased group.

A very important element in SDS's music is the quality of the musicians and specially of their singer. All the instrumentalists are more than capable, showing their skills but never falling for the easy show-off. But it's "The White Swan" who steals the show. Here we have a vocalist capable of switching styles with ease and tremendous creativity. He can go from a melodic, clean voice to a black-metal styled, high- pitched growling in a matter of seconds, in both cases managing to deliver a very compelling vocal performance. Again, his main influences are the same as in the overall sound of the band: Gildenlow, but mostly, Patton. It's his way of phrasing the words, the rhythms, and sometimes also the tone that remind us of that great singer of FAITH NO MORE and MR BUNGLE fame. "The White Swan" doesn't stop here though; he can also sound a little grungy (we can detect a hint of ALICE IN CHAINS in one of the songs) and, in the last track, he evokes Jonathan Davis, of much-maligned nu-metal band KORN. Yes, the guy has quite a range of possibilities in his voice.

The music goes from the burlesque to the violent, from the atmospheric to the grotesque, from the cold mountains of China to the exaggerated joke of a circus; there's anger and insanity, there's laughter and even some light; we travel from the traditional to the modern, from progressive-metal to thrash metal to space-rock to avant-garde.

An unquestionable 5-star rating, if there ever has been one. One of the best cds of 2006, a year when many lost gems like this album or DIABLO SWING ORCHESTRA got buried underneath a pile of over- hyped records. It's a shame that this disc has been self-released. Let's hope SHAOLIN DEATH SQUAD is allowed to give us their talents in a second effort in the future, with a label that can guarantee that more people will be exposed to great music like this.

Send comments to The T (BETA) | Report this review (#158680) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Review by b_olariu
3 stars 3.5 realy

Shaolin Death Squad is an unknown band from USA has one album since now from 2006 named Intelligent design. Hmm to tell you the truth I didn't know what to expect from this album, I've red all the positiv reviews here and there and after all I went to take some spins. This band has influnces from many genres and many bands , and it's hard to qualify thier work in one single genre. They are a progressive metal band but with a touch of Zappa, Mr. Bungle, some death metal bands, some Faith No More, Pain of Salvation, a varied album with a lot to offer. The musicianship is excellent, some truly amazing moments on opening track A Terrible Way To Use A Sword , Catasthropic Obedience and Choreographer Of Fate, the rest are ok. The musicians realy know how to use the instruments and create something worth investigated. Realy strange album to my taste, I'm not a big fan of this kind of music, It's not my every day music but I enjoy the album in my own view. I find it good, with some very nice moments, but is not something close to a masterpiece for me, not even if I'm listning 100 times. Definetly a band to check out in the future because they know bussines and realy can offer something diffrent in this genre. Still very unknown band and for sure needs a wider recognition.3-3.5 a good album for sure, but nothing close to an essential listning.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#248049) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 04, 2009

5 stars Intelligent Design is an excellent album, no doubt about it. Shaolin Death Squad has been around for a few years now, and I am very sad to say I've just recently discovered them. So what can you expect from their music? It seems to me that the music on this album draws a lot of influence from band ... (read more)

Report this review (#284472) | Posted by AgentSpork | Tuesday, June 01, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, well, well, what have we here? Admittedly, I found out about this band from another friend, but ProgArchives was the one who inspired me to buy it, after I read all the reviews. I'm proud to announce that I was more than just pleasantly suprised, I incredibly impressed. Shaolin Deat ... (read more)

Report this review (#160363) | Posted by Drakk | Thursday, January 31, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars So, I was browsing through progarchives for some new progressive metal to listen to. I came across this one with an interesting band name and some seemingly beautiful artwork to boot. As I was floored by the first track's title, I knew I atleast had to listen to this one. And come on, a ninja at t ... (read more)

Report this review (#146099) | Posted by Wayler | Saturday, October 20, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SHAOLIN DEATH SQUAD "Intelligent Design"