MANFAUNA

- Sara Hubrich / violin, viola
- Leo Smee / bass
- David Smith / drums, percussion

Southern Records, Latitudes series

Thanks to avestin for the addition

MIASMA AND THE CAROUSEL OF HEADLESS HORSES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MIASMA AND THE CAROUSEL OF HEADLESS HORSES Manfauna Music

More places to buy MIASMA AND THE CAROUSEL OF HEADLESS HORSES music online Buy MIASMA AND THE CAROUSEL OF HEADLESS HORSES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MIASMA AND THE CAROUSEL OF HEADLESS HORSES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MIASMA AND THE CAROUSEL OF HEADLESS HORSES Manfauna ratings distribution

MIASMA AND THE CAROUSEL OF HEADLESS HORSES Manfauna reviews

Review by Finnforest
4 stars City boy takes a vacation to the country way out in the middle of nowhere. He decides to take a walk alone after dark to get some air and think. The moon is bright with an occasional wind blowing. He walks a bit too far lost in thought before realizing he can no longer recognize the surroundings noticed earlier in the day. He stops and turns around but can't see off the road anymore because the moon has been covered by clouds and some fog has kicked up. Some strange noises make the skin crawl. If you can imagine the feelings in such a moment you might have an idea what kind of experience the music of "Manfauna" will produce. I can't claim to have any insight into the minds of these musicians intent, I only know what their music invokes in my own mind and the helpless feeling of being lost in the dark is one, whether actual or emotional.

While being lost is not pleasant the music of Manfauna certainly is pleasing for as we know the dark can be very divine. Part 1 "Manticore" begins with a sinister combination of the strings of Sara Hubrich and the Bassoon of Chloe Herington with minimal percussion. After a bit enter full drums, guitar, bass and organ which work themselves into a bit of a frenzy. Quite hard hitting and aggressive for much of the piece. The drumming approaches Keith Moon fury in places (a compliment) and the tension gets crazy by the finale. Part 2 "Taus" is the flip side, the feel of resignation after the panic has left the body. Soft Eno-esque soundscape is augmented occasionally by percussion, drowning bass lines and strange psychedelic territories. Part 3 "Garp Gadriel" is my favorite with the delightful piano and violin (or viola, I can't tell) absolutely masterful in musical storytelling. Lovely! Half way through the track the band comes barging in and they simply take this to their greatest heights before dropping off to the piano/violin, and then back with the band. Oh my I'm in love here people. Dark, divine, demonic, holy. All of it..at once. Bravo! My only complaint is the brevity, I want more dammit.

Manfauna is every bit the success of its accomplished predecessor Perils and in fact I like it better. Not long ago I criticized the popular group Alamaailman Vasarat for taking a certain sound and making it gimmicky by overriding it without enough compositional thought. While Miasma has a different sound than AV they are a good example of what I was suggesting to AV. This doesn't get tiring because it goes places well beyond any structured confines of song definition or rhythmic repetition, in my mind much more adventurous than AV for just that reason. And yet given the previous sentence they still produce songs that are musical rather than dissonant clutter, proving melody need not be a casualty of adventure. In my mind, one of the paths toward musical artistic success. This limited edition of 1000 comes with delightful packaging artwork, simple drawings on cardboard that perfectly capture the lifeblood of this music. Very exciting, magical, alive music making and my compliments to Miasma. 4 1/2 stars.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#152553) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 24, 2007

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Review originally posted at www.therocktologist.com

This is an EP released in 2007 from this cool avant-garde band from England which so far have only one studio album, which I have to say, I've not listened yet. Anyway, they are an instrumental quintet whose music belongs to the dark, RIO side of progressive rock with some Zeuhl touches.

"Manfauna" is the name of this EP that features only three songs, and make together a total time of 21 minutes.

It opens with "Manticore" which happens to be the longest composition reaching almost ten minutes. The names of Thinking Plague or Guapo came to my mind immediately due to the dark nuances, the wonderful use of violin and that delicate and essential piano sound. I love how this song is progressing, how it offers different passages that create a dark atmosphere, an ambient of tension and nervousness. The bass produces powerful lines while drums are always in a heavy manner. The reminiscence of King Crimson is also undeniable, most evident with the violin that reminds me of the Larks Tongues? era. What a great opener track!

"Taus" starts softly with a dark organ, later new elements are being added little by little, the atmosphere is dark and sinister, a bass sounds and puts a dramatic touch, while drums and synth produce more nuances and textures. These five minutes could perfectly work for a terror film scene. And the EP finishes with "Garp Gadriel" which starts with a piano that later is joined by a wonderful violin. I love how they manage to create a beautiful but tense sound at the same time. Here the music has a more classical tendency at least in the first two minutes; later it changes, becomes powerful with the introduction of bass and drums, and now the sound is closer to zeuhl and progressive rock. This is an amazing track!

I am happy with this EP, and now I am eager to listen to their full-length album, which I believe is as good (or better) as this.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#748485) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 04, 2012

Post a review of MIASMA AND THE CAROUSEL OF HEADLESS HORSES "Manfauna"