MARK HOLLIS

Mark Hollis

Mark Hollis Mark Hollis album cover

Buy MARK HOLLIS Music
Studio Album, released in 1998

1. Colour Of Spring (3:52)
2. Watershed (5:45)
3. Inside Looking Out (6:21)
4. Gift (4:22)
5. Life (1895-1915) (8:10)
6. Westward Bound (4:18)

- Mark Feltham / harmonica
- Chris Laurence / bass
- Henry Lowther / trumpet

UME Imports

Thanks to memowakeman for the addition
and to Snow Dog for the last updates

MARK HOLLIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MARK HOLLIS Mark Hollis Music

Polydor 2006
Ba Da Bing 2011
Vinyl$22.03
Import · Remastered
Blueprint UK 2000
MARK HOLLIS S/t CD 8 Track GERMAN Polydor 1998 USD $11.45 Buy It Now 8h 39m
Talk Talk Mark Hollis live concert Manchester 4th May 1986 A4 size poster print USD $23.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Talk Talk Mark Hollis live concert Leeds 30th of April 1986 A4 size poster print USD $23.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Talk Talk Mark Hollis live concert Edinburgh 2nd May 1986 A4 size poster print USD $23.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Talk Talk Mark Hollis live concert London 7th of May 1986 A4 size poster print USD $23.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Talk Talk Mark Hollis live concert Newcastle 3rd May 1986 A4 size poster print USD $23.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Talk Talk Mark Hollis live concert Birmingham 6th May 1986 A4 size poster print USD $23.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Talk Talk Laughing Stock CD 1999 Pond Life Mark Hollis PLVP002CD Polydor SIGNED USD $7.79 [0 bids]
Mark Hollis DEBUT SOLO ALBUM Talk Talk 1998 NEW SEALED CD USD $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Talk Talk Spirit Of Eden Orig LP BRAZILIAN PRESS Parlophone Mark Hollis 'O'Rang USD $70.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis CD USD $13.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Natural History: The Very Best of Talk Talk Mark Hollis USD $9.97 Buy It Now 5 days
MARK HOLLIS - MARK HOLLIS CD 8 TRACKS ALTERNATIVE ROCK & POP NEW+ USD $14.96 Buy It Now 6 days
TALK TALK - Asides Besides (A-Sides, B-Sides) - 2xCD Mark Hollis USD $18.71 Buy It Now 6 days
TALK TALK - It's My Life - CD Mark Hollis USD $9.35 Buy It Now 6 days
TALK TALK - The Collection - CD Mark Hollis USD $9.35 Buy It Now 6 days
Mark Hollis (2006, CD New) USD $9.25 Buy It Now 6 days
Mark Hollis, 0731453768826, Mark Hollis USD $12.13 Buy It Now 6 days
Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis [CD New] USD $8.63 Buy It Now 7 days
Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis (CD 1998) 24HR POST USD $12.62 Buy It Now 7 days
Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $14.74 Buy It Now 7 days
MARK HOLLIS s/t CD EX TALK TALK FULL LENGTH SOLO beautiful album USD $5.99 Buy It Now 7 days
5376882 - Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis USD $10.60 Buy It Now 8 days
Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis NEW CD USD $7.66 Buy It Now 9 days
Mark Hollis Self Titled Talk Talk It's My Life Folk Jazz Ambient Baroque Pop CD USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis (NEW CD) USD $10.52 Buy It Now 11 days
Mark Hollis, 0731453768826, Mark Hollis USD $14.08 Buy It Now 11 days
MARK HOLLIS NEW CD USD $10.98 Buy It Now 12 days
TALK TALK It's My Life '84 EMI promo Mark Hollis w sticker FACTORY SEALED USD $50.00 Buy It Now 13 days
MARK HOLLIS - Original 1st Pressing LP, heavy vinyl 2003 - talk talk USD $220.00 Buy It Now 13 days
MARK HOLLIS**MARK HOLLIS**CD USD $16.95 Buy It Now 13 days
MARK HOLLIS BY HOLLIS,MARK (CD) USD $16.65 Buy It Now 14 days
Talk Talk Mark Hollis live concert Nottingham 29 April 1986 A4 size poster print USD $23.39 Buy It Now 16 days
Talk Talk COLOUR OF SPRING 180g Mark Hollis COLOR New Sealed Vinyl LP + DVD USD $29.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Mark Hollis by Mark Hollis *New CD* USD $5.67 Buy It Now 21 days
TALK TALK rare IT'S MY LIFE GERMANY IMPORT CD 1984 9 tracks MARK HOLLIS USD $16.99 Buy It Now 25 days
TALK TALK Spirit Of Eden RARE OUT OF PRINT SACD SUPER AUDIO DISC Mark Hollis USD $299.99 Buy It Now 25 days
Mark Hollis Audio CD USD $13.62 Buy It Now 25 days
MARK HOLLIS (TALK TALK) original Vinyl LP Same (2003) USD $299.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Mark Hollis (CD Used Very Good) USD $6.63 Buy It Now 28 days
TALK TALK Collection: Best Of CD w/OBI RARE OOP HTF SEALED Mark Hollis USD $29.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Mark Hollis 0731453768826, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H USD $15.64 Buy It Now 28 days

More places to buy MARK HOLLIS music online Buy MARK HOLLIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MARK HOLLIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MARK HOLLIS Mark Hollis ratings distribution

MARK HOLLIS Mark Hollis reviews

Review by Prog-jester
5 stars What a coincedence. I've just listened to this album...again.

Heaven bless you in your calm, Mark Hollis. God knows what you're doing away from your music now, but I hope you're fine. You've become one of the biggest inspirations for me, both musically and lyrically. You've got a wonderful voice, Mark. From the earliest poppish TALK TALK records you had that magic ability to carry emotons with these sudden accentos and whispers. Fortunately time done nothing to your voice, and on this album it is even better - overwhelming, deep, intimate, matured, unfolding any spectre of what a human being is able to feel and beyond. Wait, Mark, there's a lot of nice music too. Recorded live with no overdubs, isn't it? As a clever one said, this is music where silence is as much important as the music itself. Very true. I won't stuck to hits there, OK? Yes, "Watershed" and "The Colour of Spring" are kinda stand-out tracks, but this is probable because they are the closest ones to what people call "a song", he-he. Others float half-asleep through ambient waters of acoustic guitars, horns and piano chords, with frequent vocal flashes, like lazy heart's beats. Mark, have you heard how they're calling your stuff? "Indie", "dream-pop", "adult jazz", "the least mainstream record from a former mainstream icon"...OK, I'll stop here. Have they heard about MUSIC? Genreless, ageless, fashionless, trendless, bombastless...OK, I stop here again. Can I recommend it? I should I guess judging from 5-star rating! But wait this is definitely a matter of taste. A Prog-Metal fan would hardly endure 45 minutes of sheer minimalism...wait, what did I tell you about these crappy tags? OK, I stopped here finally. A Masterpiece.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Talk (Talk) among yourselves

At time of writing, this looks like being Mark Hollis's only solo album. It took him some seven years after winding up Talk Talk to deliver this release in 1998, and he has since retired from the music scene once again.

Here the absence of long time music partner Tim Friese-Greene does not alter the fact that this is effectively a final Talk Talk album. This self titled release (reportedly originally to be named Mountains of the Moon) is a natural successor to the last album to bear the band name, retaining much of the inaccessible and minimalist qualities which defined Talk Talk's twilight years.

The opening track, The colour of spring did not actually appear on the Talk Talk album of that name. It is a sparse piano and vocal piece which allows Hollis the space to demonstrate the power and emotion of his voice. Even when a more defined rhythm is established on the harmonica based Watershed, the atmosphere remains reflective and moody.

And that pretty much describes the album as a whole. Hollis uses a variety of carefully selected sounds to support his unique vocal style, while always retaining the same dark moods. There is no standout track as such, simply because the tracks on the album blend seamlessly to form a whole. It may sound one- dimensional, and it is hard to deny that is what it is. The question really is, does that dimension work for you?

In cold technical terms, the song-writing here is rudimentary, both lyrically and in terms of melodies. Hollis relies entirely on his ability to paint sonic landscapes, while conveying emotion in immense quantities. For some, this will be an album to savour and revere, for others it will be a trudge through a barren void. For me, it sits somewhere in-between. In the right mood, I can sit back and let the sounds simply wash over me. On other occasions, I find myself yearning for something more substantial.

Review by UMUR
3 stars Mark Hollis sole album from 1998 is a must for fans of the last two Talk Talk albums. The album continues the style that Talk Talk set on Laughing Stock. The music is more quiet than Talk Talk though. The approach to the music is very subtle and minimalistic. As mentioned in one of the other reviews of this album silence is a very important player in these songs.

The music is not very accessible and only the first two songs Colour of Spring and Watershed have what I would call hooks. If you listen very carefully there are some memorable lines in some of the other songs though. Mark Hollis vocals are very subtle and emotional. He sings with a vulnerability seldom heard more true in music. I have always been a fan of Mark Hollis vocal style. The music is mostly made up of piano, subdued drumming and percussion, fretless bass, quit guitar playing and occasional winds of all sorts and then lots of silence.

The musicianship is really great here and as the album is recorded live in the studio, it becomes even more impressive. There are no fast runs or scale noodling here, only very controlled emotional playing from all. Mark Hollis is of course center of everything here and his strong voice is very beautiful.

The production is very impressive too, as every little sound is clearly heard.

This is a unigue album even though Mark Hollis distinct voice will surely remind you of Talk Talk and this album is mostly for fans of that band. I must say that personally I prefer Talk Talkīs albums to this one, as Iīm having a hard time listening to this subtle music for the whole lenght of the album. The subtility gets a bit annoying IMO even though itīs mostly a beautiful feature in Mark Hollis music. This is the kind of album where you have to listen yourself though. Itīs so unique that even though you might feel like me and think this is a good album and not an excellent one, it will surely be an experience for life to listen to. I seldom do myself, but when I do itīs always an enjoyable ride. The mood has to be right though. Iīll rate this album 3 stars, because I think itīs good but not really my prefered taste. This is for now the only solo album from Mark Hollis and I think he retired from the music business after this. Mark Hollis had a hard time with the exposure as a pop artist and in an interview I saw in Danish televisison at the time of the release of this album he told the interviewer that he used hours searching for silence and that he lived a very simple withdrawn life. It tells a bit about the man and his music. His philosophy seems to be that one note played right can say more than ten.

Review by Chris S
3 stars Many fans of Talk Talk especially their last two albums, Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock often consider this to be the final TT album only it is a Mark Hollis solo album. And they would be right apart from the namesake change. There is a small difference however as where Spirit Of Eden and Laughing Stock ( to a lesser degree) exhibit such an incredible mix of ambient, minimalist progressive landscapes within a solid structural framework, Mark Hollis's debut solo somehow just does not hold as much water. Sure the frail, chilling and sombre vocals are evident again and minimalism but the songs do not hold up quite as solidly. They tend to lose their way at times and therefore ones attention kind get lost in the overall sounds. Don't get me wrong this is not a bad album but more for fans only. Highlights would be ' Inside Looking Out', the sad ' Life' and ' New Jerusalem'. The album is depressing in nature and this could depict Hollis's state of prescence in 1998 or leading up to it's release, but depressing does not mean bad either. Seldom have there been such radical shifts in artistic direction than Mark Hollis's but for any who admire the bands last two releases then this would be a must.

2 stars A one dimensional album that, if you're in the right frame of mind you may find beautiful and peaceful. If you're not you'll find it a pile of boring kack. A logical successor to 1991's 'Laughing Stock' Lp by 'Talk Talk', this one is much quieter and basically far too frail and weak. There's ... (read more)

Report this review (#810283) | Posted by Dobermensch | Saturday, August 25, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is music, this is silence. It is so ephemeral that it is barely there, barely perceptible. But still, it is what countless others have failed to reach with all the distorted guitars in the world(yes, I mean you, metal bands) - evoke feelings and emotions. The music just flows, has no structu ... (read more)

Report this review (#200850) | Posted by VelBG | Tuesday, January 27, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A last - or lost - Talk Talk album? It is a record I strongly recommend to the fans of the late period Talk Talk. Of course, it is somewhat of a given, taking into account that it is a Mark Hollis album. But even after a seven years hiatus, it has the same qualities of Laughing Stock and Spiri ... (read more)

Report this review (#161020) | Posted by Karbo | Wednesday, February 06, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MARK HOLLIS "Mark Hollis"