GEISTERSTADT

- Christof Rath / drums
- Michael Melchers / guitar
- Andreas Schmittfull / guitar

CD (2007)

Thanks to TheProgtologist for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

OMEGA MASSIF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy OMEGA MASSIF Geisterstadt Music

Vinyl$25.49
Kalt [Vinyl]Kalt [Vinyl]
PID 2010
Vinyl$22.99

More places to buy OMEGA MASSIF music online Buy OMEGA MASSIF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for OMEGA MASSIF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

OMEGA MASSIF Geisterstadt ratings distribution

OMEGA MASSIF Geisterstadt reviews

Review by chamberry
4 stars The name says it all.

MASSIVE is the best description I can give to Omega Massif's music. Actually, that's the word I mostly use when talking about Doom Metal bands with their colossal riffs and earthshaking feedbacks. Omega Massif aren't too far away from this description and the only thing different is that they added emotions to it which makes the music a bit more appealing for a wider metal audience (although not wide enough when compared to other bands...).

The album starts off with the loudest bang I've heard in this year's Post-Metal bands (metaphorically speaking, of course) with the opener "In Der Mine" which is easily my choice for the best opener in any metal or related album that I've heard in 2007. In Der Mine may start slow (like all of the songs on the album), but after the 1:50 mark you'll be treated with pummeling riffs and thundering drums that will make you beg for mercy while you head bang to it until your brain falls of your head! Omega Massif then keeps up the energy showing their Shoegazer influences which end up sounding like a climax of some sort only to end up just as it began. This song pretty much sums up what Omega Massif are all about and most of the songs on the album will have, more or less, that same massive sense without repeating the same formula twice. Special mentions goes to "Nebelwand" which is only surpassed by In Der Mine.

The music is instrumental so people who aren't fan of the growling vocals that these bands often use will find the music very enjoyable. Being a Doom Metal fan also helps when listening to the album since the band is closely linked to the genre although it's not a requirement for one to enjoy the band's music. The music is mostly raw and dominant while at the same time being atmospheric. The only downer in the music is that many people will be put-off because of their minimalist nature. Another thing is that the album didn't sounded "complete" to me either by the abrupt ending or because there's something missing in their music that I can't put my finger on. Still I think this is a marvelous effort specially for a debut and fans of Post-Metal would be very pleased with Omega Massif's Geisterstadt

4 stars flat.

Send comments to chamberry (BETA) | Report this review (#149111) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 05, 2007

Review by Dim
4 stars Amazing band! Easily one of my favirote instrumental albums out there! Easily distinguished Post metal, with the typical sludgy guitars, and primal drumming, for some reason though, this band has something more. I thinks it's the trippy lead lines they share with Tides, but Omega Massif have an edge over them, they are more controlled, and hold a more mysterious sound. Instrumental Doom metal at it's best IMO, creating an eerie atmosphere that keeps you locked in, and dosent let go. The only down side to the album is that the last two songs, arent at the level that first five or so are.

In der mine, Loud, soft, brilliant, and it's not even the best song! Starts with a heavy riff, with the whole band revolving around it. This lasts for about half the song, then the trippy lead line comes in, leading the song to step down a notch, letting the music ebb anf flow to the next song. This is not how the whole album goes, unlike most post metal bands, every song is it's own, no song really sounds the same. Omega Massif's song structures almost remind me of some GY!BE songs, starting out fast, then drop to a single riff, in which the entire song starts to build. Sometimes though, the song will just burst out in power chords out of nowhere with almost no warning, and sometimes the climax just dosent come, the song just builds then suddenly drops, making the album something different to appreciate then your average post metal instrumental group. The best songs on the album are Nebwuland, and Unter Null. Both amazing songs, that after progression let loose some of the most awesome trippy lead lines to ever hit post meal, the best of these are unter Nulls, where the whole band just stops, and theres just this haunting guitar, soflty lulling you with this almost creepy riff, and I love it. Sadly though the last two songs are without the tripp lead lines, and Exodus is just a non-stop power chord closer, with the intention of closing the album with a band, but dosent fit the mood of the album at all.

Really, it's almost impossible for me to explain the intensity of the album through words, you really do have to be listening to it to get it. With me, Omega Massif clicked instantly, but I have had my share of post metal, and I'm used to the sound. For the newbies out there, I dont recomend this one for a first Post metal album, I gurentee you it will be hard to swallow! I really do want to give this album five stars, but that would be completely unfair to the albums with good songs all around, so 4 stars.

Send comments to Dim (BETA) | Report this review (#152337) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 22, 2007

Review by Prog-jester
5 stars Astonishing!

This is one of the heaviest records I ever heard! Filled with head-crushing riffs and amazing atmosphere, OM's 'Geisterstadt' ('City of Ghosts') is by far one of the best instrumental Post-Metal albums. Instrumental is defyning word here, because Post-Metal vocals usually put me off and steal at least a star from each rating. But OM are INSTRUMENTAL, they need no screamers to create such a MASSIVE sound, and this wall of doom is going to crush you down! The most positive thing about OM (if there's any, he-he!) that this heaviness dosn't put you off (like some extreme bands do). You feel like you need more and more of this stuff! Seriously, I can't get enough of them recently...need more OMEGA MASSIF! Extremely recommended!

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#165155) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 27, 2008

Review by UMUR
3 stars Omega Massifs debut album Geisterstadt, is a pretty heavy affair. Omega Massif plays Post Metal/ Doom metal in the vein of Neurosis and Isis. They are very heavy like Neurosis and have the melodic style of Isis. Im an old doom metal fanatic and Ive listened to my share of extremely heavy doom laden bands in my time. Bands like Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Cathedral ( the british band), Anathema, Amorphis, Cemetary, Tiamat etc..etc..were some of my favorite artists in the beginning of the nineties. I grew a bit tired of the slow doom metal style though. Ive since learned that bands like Neurosis, Isis, Pelican, Minsk, Ahab and now Omega Massif have taken up that old doom metal style and mixed it with post metal/ hardcore. Im a bit ambivalent towards this style, as I feel it often gets too repetitive and as a consequence of that boring. But on the other hand there are great emotions in play on most albums in this style and that is something Im always searching for in music.

Geisterstadt is in my ears a very typical album in the genre. Slowly building songs that peaks in climaxes, very heavy sections of almost monumental strenght, and more quit moments that slowly builds to the climaxes. There are no vocals on the album which I think is a pity. I think vocals would have given Omega Massif the last push in a positive direction. The album starts with the heavy riffing of In Der Mine and never really lets go. Its doomy, melodic at times and very heavy all the way through.

The musicians are very competent, and I love some of the things they cook up. Especially in the climaxes which are pretty symphonic sometimes. Bass, Guitar and drums are the main ingredients here. I think I hear a keyboard sometimes in the background, but it could be the guitar that makes sounds.

The production is very good, so there is nothing to complain about there.

I must say I enjoyed Geisterstadt a lot, but it never really rose above the average listening pleasure for me, so its a good 3 star album. I guess the confinements of the genre are pretty strict, and therefore I miss a bit more innovative thinking to be honest. But again enjoyable and recommendable to fans of the genre it is.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#166170) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Post a review of OMEGA MASSIF "Geisterstadt"