MEET THE FLOWER KINGS @ LIVE RECORDING 2003

progressive rock music

Buy THE FLOWER KINGS Music
Live, released in 2003

CD 1 (75:47)
1. The Truth Will Set You Free (31:20)
2. Garden Of Dreams Pt 1 (27:07)
3. Garden Of Dreams Pt 2 (17:20)

CD 2 (77:06)
1. Humanizzimo (23:10)
2. Circus Brimstone (11:18)
3. Silent Inferno (16:13)
4. Stardust We Are (26:25)

Total time 152:53

- Tomas Bodin / keyboards
- Jonas Reingold / bass, bass pedals
- Zoltan Csörsz / drums
- Hasse Bruniusson / percussion, voices

Live performance, recorded at the Stadsteater, Upsalla, Sweden on 10th February, 2003
Line-up/Musicians. Also released on DVD, and in a limited box set containing 2 DVDs and 2 CDs (included in ProgArchives.com under DVD)

2CD Inside Out IOMCD 142 (2003)

ArtWork: Jan Ternald

Thanks to Angelo for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

THE FLOWER KINGS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE FLOWER KINGS Meet The Flower Kings @ Live Recording 2003 Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
The Banks Of EdenThe Banks Of Eden
Century Media 2012
Unfold the FutureUnfold the Future
Imports 2010
The Road Back Home: The Best Of (2CD)The Road Back Home: The Best Of (2CD)
Inside Out Music 2012

More places to buy THE FLOWER KINGS music online Buy THE FLOWER KINGS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

THE FLOWER KINGS Meet The Flower Kings @ Live Recording 2003 ratings distribution

THE FLOWER KINGS Meet The Flower Kings @ Live Recording 2003 reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars With the shortest track clocking at over eleven minutes, be ready for extremely long pieces of music from TFK. One of their all- time best is the opener of this double CD set (combined with two DVD's for the special edition). This review takes only the audio part into consideration.

"The Truth Will Set You Free" is one of my three favourite TFK song so far. I have discovered this live version first and I have been in love with it since the very first time I have been listening to it. And since then, I have given it an impressive number of spins. When TFK meets Yes has always been a pleasure for my ears. Extremely beautiful vocal harmonies, superb guitar work rom Roine, complex rhythms and great drumming. Those are the ingredients for this true prog epic. I am not a devoted TFK maniac but when I like them, I really do so, no compromise really.

The next song has been split into two parts and the whole has been shortened by almost fifteen minutes. I must say that this treatment plus the fact that some boring passages seem to have been cut off the original and are replaced by interesting improv, I can only be pleased witht this rendition of "Garden Of Dreams". It still clocks at over forty-four minutes but it is far much better in this version than in its original form.

TFK goes on with "Humanizzimo". A song featured on Roine's solo album "The Flower Kings" released in 1994. It is a 100% Flower Kings song. Another epic (over twenty-three minutes in this format). It was also love at first sight. Almost the same atmosphere as for "Truth". Catchy melodies, nice keys and guitar. Sometimes spacey, sometimes improv (but not too much).

"Circus Brimstone" was featured on the album "Stardust We Are". It is the "shortest" piece of music you'll find on this album. Clocking at a mere eleven minutes ! The long intro seems pure improvisation and is definitely KC oriented. Almost the whole track will remain in these territories. Of course, besides Yes, the other major source of inspiration for TFK is KC, so it is only normal to have a song which fully reminds us this band. The last four minutes though are pure symphony mixed with a very powerful finale. A good track again.

"Silent Inferno" comes from the "Unfold The Future" sessions (this tour is supporting this album so no wonder here). It was one of the best song of the studio album and is more than welcome on this live work. A bit more extended here (about two additional minutes), this version is very pleasant. Another truely TFK song dominated by the Yes influence (which is how I prefer them by far). The guitar work is extremely well performed and this number is a highlight of this live set. Just behind "The Truth...".

The long "Stardust..." could not really convinced me while I was reviewing the studio album. I have the same feeling about this live version. A bit too long to be interesting during its whole lenght, this is still a pleasant composition.

TFK have made an excellent choice of tracks for this recording. This double album is an excellent alternative to their studio work which is often a bit too "short" (in quality, not in lenght of course). It is my favourite TFK live album so far. Four stars.

Review by Chris S
3 stars Not bad......this being my first introduction to The Flower Kings. It is a strongly delivered live album ( CD version ), great cover and I was impressed also by the length of tracks especially as a live presentation.I do find they are highly gifted musicians especially Stolt, Gildenlow and Bodin, yet something inside me tells after repeated listens that their is an underlying hint of Yes and Genesis and even possibly Pink Floyd in parts. It is not necessarily a bad thing for bands to be heavily influenced by these great groups but in essence I do feel the musical composition therefore slips up as there is no doubt a '' Been there, worn the T- Shirt" type feel to the album.

It is very complex in parts which gives an even greater proggy feel to their music. Roine Stolts vocals are not totally strong but he does carry it off overall. ' Garden of Dreams part 1 ' for me is the high point on this album but ' part 2 'is also good as is the opener ' The Truth Will Set You Free'. I have not got the DVD version so I cannot speak for the visuals and other tracks. Again a good album but that is as far as it goes.

Review by darkshade
COLLABORATOR Jazz Rock/Fusion Team
5 stars The Flower Kings play some of their best epics that they had written up to this point (2003), and I must say, this record blew me away the first time I heard it, and still blows me away. I would argue that most of the material here is superior to their studio counterparts, as the energy level on some tracks is much higher, and there is a level of spontaneity, along with some jamming and improvisation. Not to mention the best TFK rhythm section of Jonas Reingold on bass and Zoltan Czorsz on drums playing the older material like Garden of Dreams, Humanizzimo, and Stardust We Are.

While it is necessary to hear the studio versions first so that you can tell what changes were made on these live versions (such as Garden of Dreams being edited down, but with added jams), if this is your first Flower Kings venture, you can't really go wrong. The band is known for the highest quality epics, some of their strongest material is held within these monster pieces of music. It's also nice to have Daniel Gildenlow as a member of the band here, as his voice adds nice color to the already colorful music. Having 3 lead vocalists in the band was a very great thing and it's unfortunate Daniel left.

Anyway, any TFK fan will look at this track list scream for joy. This should be an auto-buy for any TFK fan, or fans of symphonic prog of the highest order. The sound quality is perfect, and at times I feel like I'm listening to a studio album. Not every live album is worthy of 5 stars, most aren't; but this is an essential Flower Kings album, live or studio. You won't be disappointed.

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars This is a CD rendition of their excellent first DVD, Meet The Flower Kings, released in 2003. I was always impressed by the images of the band playing their epics, some of them exceeding the 30 minute, and still they played with such ease and confidence you think they are actually mimicking to a CD. Not the case, of course, but very impressive. The DVD was always on my top ten videos of all time in my collection.

The CD on the other side, impressed me less,of course. It does have its merits and although Garden Of Dreams has some fourteen minutes less than the original studio version (and it still leaves 46 minutes of music!) , this live rendition of the suite is actually slightly stronger and better than the one we have on Flower Power. I never really liked the chaotic and - at least most of it - pointless avant guard noodling of Circus Brimstone. Like the video, I wish they had included a couple of "shorter" songs instead or chose another epic in its place. They had plenty of them! I loved their version of Humanizzimo: this track actually came from Roine Stolt solo album The Flower King (which, for several people - me included - is really TFK´s first CD).

I must say I enjoy this CD because for a live recording, they had the good idea of playing some of their strongest (and longest) compositions in full (The Truth Will Set You Free and Stardust We Are) and I doubt if they ever will do that in future concerts. And it´s a great pleasure to listen to those long epics all played together in the same album (save for Circus Brimstone, but nothing is perfect). The flower Kings is definitely the most important symphonic prog band to appear since the 70´s heyday. I love you, guys!

Review by Quinino
COLLABORATOR Errors & Omissions Team
5 stars My ALL-TIME Greatest #15

Now what do we have here? Oh yes, a double live in the old style!

But this is just the outer physical form, don't be deluded, because when you get in you'll find yourself taken on a wondrous musical journey that will leave you a different person thereafter. That happened to me, anyway, and this was when my profound admiration for this band did begin.

Global Appraisal

Throughout more than 2 and a half hours the FK perform 6 epic tracks, taken from 3 past studio albums and even one from Roine solo album of 1994, and recorded here sequentially on a single date. These long songs, by their own merit already magnificent and grandiose, acquire in this sequential listening an extra dimension that I can only classify as majestic: supreme rulers of the domains.

The richness and diversity of the compositions and arrangements is simply astonishing and were captured here like glued together by the strong collective personality of a band caught on a precise moment in time and space.

This resulting feeling of unity and continuity happens to create the illusion that you are listening to a single gigantic theme of two and a half hours - simply overwhelming, I tell you.

Goodies

The band, but this everybody already knows and is not a matter of opinion it's an established fact, this particular band is for a great deal responsible of bringing the Symphonic Prog of old to the 21st cent.

This fellow Reingold is a pleasure to listen to; I tend to value very highly the role of bassists in any band, like to say they glue together the otherwise disparate parts. No doubt that's what happens here, a center piece of the whole sound, neatly very "classical" and refined, a true class act.

Roine Stolt - here, in Transatlantic, wherever - exceptional guitar playing and composing (all tracks on this one, 2 with Bodin)

5 stars I honestly can't say much that already hasn't been said here. The number of five-star reviews and generally glowing outlook that many seem to have toward this album is, in my mind, totally justified. Simply put, this is an absolutely fantastic document. I own basically everything this band ha ... (read more)

Report this review (#1537631) | Posted by Mr. Gone | Wednesday, March 9, 2016 | Review Permanlink

5 stars You ask me if this music is quality or quantity; I say both! The Flower Kings often plays long songs and here on this live record they play some of their best lengthy ones. I don't think this is a record for anyone and you won't appreciate it anytime, and especielly not the whole at one occati ... (read more)

Report this review (#1092282) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Thursday, December 19, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars One of the best live albums that I know. The tracks selection es excellent, sound is awesome and the perfomance of every band member is fresh and with great lucidity, clarity. No need to detail every track; but I want emphasise the brightness of The truth will set you free, great song in which the ... (read more)

Report this review (#927273) | Posted by sinslice | Saturday, March 9, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This live album features some of The Flower King's best material live. Although some of the band members where sick from or recovering from the flu during the recording, the playing and singing is excellent. However, it is not a full live performance as they recorded the album in several takes over ... (read more)

Report this review (#440531) | Posted by Garden of Dreams | Friday, April 29, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The first time I heard The Flower Kings was when I brought the album Stardust We Are...as you can understand...son after that I brought all the albums and I followed them every since. I must say that I do not apreciate everything they make.....and all albums hasd some extremely good pieces and s ... (read more)

Report this review (#201783) | Posted by Daniel1974nl | Thursday, February 5, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE FLOWER KINGS "Meet The Flower Kings @ Live Recording 2003"