REQUIEM - FORTISSIMO

- Rowan London / vocals, piano, keyboard
- Samantha Escarbe / guitar
- Grayh / bass, vocals
- Luke Faz / drums

CD The End Records (2008)

Thanks to avestin for the addition

VIRGIN BLACK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VIRGIN BLACK Requiem - Fortissimo Music

Sombre RomanticSombre Romantic
The End Records 2002
Elegant...and DyingElegant...and Dying
The End Records 2003
Requiem: Mezzo Forte by Virgin Black (2007) Audio CDRequiem: Mezzo Forte by Virgin Black (2007) Audio CD
The End Records
Requiem: Fortissimo by Virgin Black (2008) Audio CDRequiem: Fortissimo by Virgin Black (2008) Audio CD
The End Records
ANATOMY / LONG VOYAGE BACK - 2002 SPLIT 7" - AUSSIE NAZXUL VIRGIN BLACK ASTRIAAL US $9.31 Buy It Now 1 day
VIRGIN BLACK - SOMBRE ROMANTIC [4028466102904] - NEW CD US $12.41 Buy It Now 1 day
VIRGIN BLACK-REQUIEM-MEZZO FORTE-CD-novembre-gothic US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Elegant and Dying by Virgin Black (CD, Jun-2003, The End) US $7.01 Buy It Now 2 days
Virgin Black Requiem: Mezzo Forte (CD, 2007, Massacre Records) US $7.50 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - TRINITY 1ST PRESS CD paradise lost virgin black anathema doom US $9.99 [0 bids]
SAVIOUR MACHINE-S/T CD CHRISTian Gothic Metal Deliverance Virgin Black Awakening US $37.77 Buy It Now 7 days
VIRGIN BLACK - ELEGANT & DYING NEW CD US $24.31 Buy It Now 8 days
KAT'EIKONA Greek CHRISTian Goth+ Saviour Machine Virgin Black Awakening Amos DAS US $25.77 Buy It Now 8 days
Virgin Black-Requiem Fortissimo CD (Brand New-Sealed)* US $13.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Virgin Black - Elegentand Dying [CD New] US $12.26 Buy It Now 9 days
Requiem: Mezzo Forte by Virgin Black (CD, Apr-2007, The End) SEALED BRAND NEW US $10.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Elegant and Dying Virgin Black CD US $10.47 Buy It Now 9 days
Virgin Black - Requiem Mezzo Forte CD US $27.74 Buy It Now 9 days
Virgin Black - Elegentand Dying CD US $23.74 Buy It Now 9 days
CHRISTian Gothic GreekBand KAT'EIKONA ala Saviour Machine Virgin Black Awakening US $24.77 Buy It Now 10 days
Virgin Black - Requiem: Mezzo Forte (CD, Oct-2007, Locomotive Records (USA)) US $6.64 Buy It Now 10 days
BENT SHAPES**FEELS WEIRD (VIRGIN BLACK VINYL EDITION/DOWNLOAD)**VINYL US $22.95 Buy It Now 11 days
Virgin Black - Sombre Romantic (Music CD) US $23.46 Buy It Now 11 days
BODY PARTS**FIRE DREAM (VIRGIN BLACK VINYL EDITION/WITH DOWNLOAD)**VINYL US $22.50 Buy It Now 11 days
COCKTAILS**COCKTAILS (7 INCH/LIMITED/VIRGIN BLACK/DOWNLOAD)**VINYL US $10.65 Buy It Now 11 days
VIRGIN BLACK - ELEGANT AND DYING [4028466103895] - NEW CD US $10.48 Buy It Now 11 days
VIRGIN BLACK - Elegant... And Dying - Christian Music CCM Rock Metal CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Virgin Black - Requiem Mezzo Forte (Music CD) US $31.00 Buy It Now 12 days
VIRGIN BLACK - ELEGANT AND DYING [654436003724] - NEW CD US $11.28 Buy It Now 12 days
Black Banjo Sonsters Of North Carolina & Virgin - Black Banjo Songsters [CD New] US $16.92 Buy It Now 12 days
Black Banjo Sonsters Of North Carolina Virgin Black Banjo Songsters Of North Car US $19.69 Buy It Now 13 days
Virgin Black - Requiem-Fortissimo CD US $15.12 Buy It Now 13 days
Virgin Black - Requiem-Mezzo Forte CD US $15.12 Buy It Now 13 days
Elegant and Dying by Virgin Black (CD, Sep-2003, Massacre Records) US $13.90 Buy It Now 13 days
VIRGIN BLACK - SOMBRE ROMANTIC [654436002321] - NEW CD US $10.63 Buy It Now 15 days
VIRGIN BLACK - REQUIEM: MEZZO FORTE [654436008125] - NEW CD US $11.11 Buy It Now 15 days
Requiem-Fortissimo - Virgin Black (2008, CD New) US $8.08 Buy It Now 15 days
VIRGIN BLACK - REQUIEM: FORTISSIMO NEW CD US $17.41 Buy It Now 15 days
Falling On Deaf Ears: Australian Metal Compilation, No. 4 CD Virgin Black etc US $5.60 Buy It Now 15 days
Requiem: Fortissimo Virgin Black CD US $9.60 Buy It Now 16 days
Virgin Black - Requiem-Fortissimo [CD New] US $12.59 Buy It Now 16 days
Requiem: Mezzo Forte by Virgin Black (CD, Apr-2007, The End) US $8.04 Buy It Now 17 days
Requiem: Fortissimo * by Virgin Black (CD, Feb-2008, The End) US $8.19 Buy It Now 17 days
Virgin Black Elegant And Dying CD new US $6.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Virgin Black - Requiem Mezzo Forte [CD New] US $27.73 Buy It Now 20 days
VIRGIN BLACK - SOMBRE ROMANTIC - MASSCD290 US $15.81 Buy It Now 22 days
VIRGIN BLACK - ELEGANT...AND DYING - MASSCD389 US $15.83 Buy It Now 22 days
Virgin Black-Requiem-Mezzo Forte (2CD Set-Autographed)* US $24.99 Buy It Now 22 days
Requiem-Mezzo Forte - Virgin Black (2007, CD New) US $7.52 Buy It Now 22 days
VIRGIN BLACK - REQUIEM: MEZZO FORTE (UK) (UK) (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $33.88 Buy It Now 23 days
VIRGIN BLACK - REQUIEM: MEZZO FORTE NEW CD US $17.41 Buy It Now 23 days
Requiem: Mezzo Forte Virgin Black CD US $11.13 Buy It Now 23 days
VIRGIN BLACK - REQUIEM: FORTISSIMO * - NEW CD US $9.61 Buy It Now 23 days
Virgin Black - Requiem-Mezzo Forte [CD New] US $10.98 Buy It Now 25 days
VIRGIN BLACK - REQUIEM: MEZZO FORTE [654436008125] CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Virgin Black - Requiem (Mezzo Forte) (CD 2007) US $8.35 Buy It Now 28 days

More places to buy VIRGIN BLACK music online Buy VIRGIN BLACK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VIRGIN BLACK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VIRGIN BLACK Requiem - Fortissimo ratings distribution

VIRGIN BLACK Requiem - Fortissimo reviews

Review by avestin
3 stars Reviewed for Sonic Frontiers at http://www.sonicfrontiers.net/php/review-150.html and kindly approved for re-posting in PA

Virgin Black is still Black but no longer Virgin.

A promising first few seconds in this album made my heart rush. It starts with a bang, but then it recedes to Doom/Death metal realms. Early My Dying Bride comes to mind as a reference point (and all other imitators and practitioners of this style). But alas, Virgin Black have shed away here all that makes them special and have released a bland doom/death metal album at times bordering on the Funeral Doom style. A band I admire and love every release of theirs have released an album I don't like and which is a disappointment to me. The album has a few of the orchestra,operatic vocals and choir background vocals left but nothing of the special traits that made Virgin Black noticeable and distinguishable from other bands. Had I not known this is a Virgin Black album, I could be fooled to believe it is by some other Doom metal band. I understand that this was supposed to be their heaviest album of the trilogy but not only this is not what I was expecting (so lets leave my disappointment aside), this goes quite a long way from the Virgin Black style and sound. There are the familiar riffs and recognizable patterns (like in the beginning of In Winter's Ash) but other than that, I can't find much of the band I love and look up to.

It's not all bad or bland, but it is mostly not thrilling or has the quality I find in previous VB albums. One track that is quite good and does give me hope they have not abandoned their roots is Silent which does manage to combine their "usual" characteristics with the more brutal and heavy aspect of this album (with a glance at a musical line from the Mezzo Forte album). God In Dust is another decent track However with the other five tracks, there is the issue of not giving each track enough identity and differentiating them from the others, aside from the absence of the VB style. But all in all, there is too much of a "samey" feel in this album as I feel as if the music is repeated and rehashed.

Bottom line - I'm disappointed with this release and can't recommend to other Virgin Black fans like me. I can recommend it to folks into Doom/Death/Funeral Doom Metal and even then, it's not that good or impressive an album, but not a bad one in itself. Most of what makes Virgin Black unique is absent here. The bleakness is still here, but the magic is gone. I hope that the third and last installment in this Requiem trilogy will not disappoint me like this. The 3 stars is more to say that it's an ok release in itself, but as far as Virgin Black standards, this is a step down.

Send comments to avestin (BETA) | Report this review (#157021) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 29, 2007

Review by Conor Fynes
2 stars 'Requiem Fortissimo' - Virgin Black (3/10)

While it might not be the most inspiring word-of-mouth introduction for a band to hear your friend tell you to give 'one of the worst albums he has ever listened to' a try, but as always, music is a very subjective experience and I like to treat it as such. While there are aspects of music that appeal to a majority of people, there will always be pieces of music that some may hate, and others love depending on their outlook and ear.

'Requiem Fortissimo' may well be one of those albums that could be perceived as a total masterpiece by one with an ear attuned enough to doom metal to appreciate it. While I have dabbled in the realm of doom before (from the likes of early Anathema and Katatonia to Shades Of Despair and Draconian) I've been able to see real beauty in some of the music the genre spits out, but above anything, its a real hit-or-miss deal. If something doesn't work, it really won't work. 'Requiem' definately had alot of thought put into it, but in the end; a few shortcomings in the work truly mar what might have been a landmark doom record.

When I speak of the 'thought' and effort put into the making of it, its important to know that the band went as far as to enlist the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra (generally perceived to be Austrailia's flagship philharmonic) and choral sections to add to the sound. While this does certainly make 'Requiem' a much more worthy venture than other albums I've listened to, the rest of the mix hurts the orchestration alot. The guitar riffs are generally unimaginative save for a few precious arrangements, and the growl vocals are truly atrocious. While there are a few soprano operatic sections, and parts where the orchestra has room to breathe, these sections frankly aren't worth going through all of the monotonous guitar drone and grunting to get to them.

While it might be a suitable backdrop for a wintery, frostbitten evening, this depressing and dissapointing opus from Virgin Black will not appeal to many outside of the doom metal circle. I for one, can find stuff to appreciate here, and it's certainly not the worst album I've ever heard, but I would much rather delve into a more fulfilling record then this; as there are plenty out there that trump over this one.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#263855) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Post a review of VIRGIN BLACK "Requiem - Fortissimo"