EN AVANT DOUTE...

Lazuli

Lazuli En avant doute... album cover

Buy LAZULI Music
Studio Album, released in 2007

1. En Avant Doute (3:02)
2. Laisse Courir (5:11)
3. Le Repas De L'ogre (5:07)
4. Capitain Coeur De Miel (part 2) (5:03)
5. La Valse à Cent Ans (4:20)
6. Film D'aurore (4:26)
7. Ouest Terne (3:32)
8. L'arbre (4:18)
9. Cassiopée (6:36)

Tracks on bonus DVD
DVD included with live videos:
1. L'impasse

Gédéric Byar : Guitar
Dominique Leonetti : Vocals, Guitar
Yohan Siméon : Percussions, Métalophone
Frédéric Juan : Marimba, Vibes, Percussions

Musea Records 2007 (CD + DVD)

Thanks to Ricochet for the addition
and to Kobaia for the last updates

LAZULI MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy LAZULI En avant doute... Music

Tant Que L'Herbe Est GrasseTant Que L'Herbe Est Grasse
L'Abeille Rôde
4603 Battements4603 Battements
L'Abeille Rôde
Sue Witty - Lapis Lazuli [CD New] US $17.00 Buy It Now 23h 14m
Lazuli Blue - Groove Me Rite / Infinite Domain - Test Pressing 12" - Nu Groove US $27.07 Buy It Now 2 days
Azouras Lazuli - Tintomara La Tournerose LP DUTCH PRESS Philips 6519 003 US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Lazuli Quazar - Active 8 Audio CD Styles, CD Album, Main Albums Lazuli Quazar N US $5.16 Buy It Now 2 days
Lapis Lazuli - Alien NEW CD US $16.23 Buy It Now 3 days
Prince Charming - Lapis Lazuli [CD New] US $12.98 Buy It Now 4 days
LAPIS LAZULI - 7" 33 - SPIDERBABY - PUNK GARAGE ROCK US $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
BEACH HOUSE Bloom w Lazuli, Other People & Myth CD VICTORIA LEGRAND DAGGERHEARTS US $19.99 Buy It Now 6 days
LAPIS LAZULI - LOSS MADE FOREVER NEW CD US $23.21 Buy It Now 11 days
Lazuli,Lapis - Loss Made Forever [CD New] US $16.98 Buy It Now 11 days
Unknown Artist Oversouled - Lapis Lazuli CD US $5.97 Buy It Now 12 days
Lazuli Lapis - Loss Made Forever CD US $20.32 Buy It Now 12 days
1994 cassette ~ LAPIS LAZULI ~ Superkool Records SPK 001 US $8.99 Buy It Now 13 days
ABED AZRIE-Lapis Lazuli-SYRIA/Gilgamesh/SUFI/Mythology US $10.29 Buy It Now 13 days
Lapis Lazuli - Witty,Sue New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $25.03 Buy It Now 13 days
SAM RIVERS QUARTET, Lazuli (Darryll Thompson, Grant, McCraven) CD US $31.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Loss Made Forever - Lazuli,Lapis New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $24.69 Buy It Now 14 days
Abed Azrie : Lapis Lazuli CD (2005) US $20.07 Buy It Now 18 days
PRINCE CHARMING - LAPIS LAZULI NEW CD US $16.72 Buy It Now 22 days
LAPIS LAZULI - JUSTIFIED LOSS NEW CD US $20.69 Buy It Now 23 days
Lazuli,Lapis - Justified Loss [CD New] US $14.98 Buy It Now 23 days
BEACH HOUSE - LAZULI 7", BLUE VINYL, RECORD STORE DAY 2012, NMINT RARE, OOP Rsd US $30.00 Buy It Now 25 days
LAPIS LAZULI - LOST NEW CD US $20.69 Buy It Now 26 days
Justified Loss - Lazuli,Lapis New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $22.43 Buy It Now 26 days
Lapis Lazuli - Lost [CD New] US $14.98 Buy It Now 26 days
Lost - Lapis Lazuli New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $22.43 Buy It Now 27 days
Ray Anderson, Lapis Lazuli ...-Funkorific CD NEW US $14.33 Buy It Now 27 days
Justified Loss by Lapis Lazuli (CD, Nov-2011, CD Baby (distributor)) US $12.06 Buy It Now 28 days
LAPIS LAZULI-Vocals/GUITAR-Bass/DRUMS-Harmonica/SC-Cd's US $10.29 Buy It Now 29 days
With Lapis Lazuli & Subliminal - Spiritual Wave Philharmonic - Japan CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy LAZULI music online Buy LAZULI & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for LAZULI DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

LAZULI En avant doute... ratings distribution

LAZULI En avant doute... reviews

Review by Finnforest
4 stars en avant doute (going forward despite everything)

Lazuli is a French band formed in 1998 who with "en avant doute" released a work that made many "best of 2007" lists. I can certainly understand why. Their myspace site describes the band as "somewhere between progressive rock & electro-world, poetry & travel.visiting new territories with a rather unusual instrumentation: Warr guitar, Chapman stick, marimba, vibraphone, percussions, guitars, vocals..& especially a unique instrument created by Claude Leonetti : the LEODE." (the Leode is an instrument created by Leonetti who lost the use of one arm in an accident, so that he could play guitar with one hand.and it sounds amazing.) They note that "songs are canvas on which they mix colors to paint their own world." High-minded sentiments to be sure but quite accurate. This album possesses an exciting sound all its own in an age where it's not all that easy to break through the din anymore. The release is also great value because they throw in a bonus DVD with performance and documentary stuff.

The title track is first and this is a song about losing a loved one. The title is described as a nonsensical phrase meaning to "go forward despite everything." Vocals are usually present and very good. The track starts with electronica-like sounds gurgling behind the vocal with a Bjorkish feel until the band kicks in a bit later. The album really engages on "Laisse Courir" which is a song about the rat race in life that we all put ourselves through. The beautiful LEODE really comes through here and gives the album such a unique sound. It sounds a bit like a combination of slide guitar and keyboard, and Leonetti sounds to me influenced by Robert Fripp. What is so amazing about the LEODE is the total freedom and agility of sound Claude is able to extract, it's just wild to hear and worth the price of admission by itself. You won't believe the notes he finds, he pulls them to Earth from distant planets and ocean bottoms. Incredible. But I don't recommend Lazuli on the strength of their guitarists alone, they are all accomplished musicians with some very good songs. "Le Repas de l' Ogre" in a not-so-veiled shot at our own President Bush with quiet vocal sections contrasted with loud rocking parts. Next up is an Ange cover song (a shortened version) called "Capitaine Coeur de Miel" from their "Guet-Apens" album. Their love of Ange is obvious in the passionate playing and singing. "La Valse a Cent Ans" is a love song where Dominique Leonetti does a great job in a higher range of notes and there is an immaculate balance between this expressive vocal and the Leode accenting. He also accompanies himself on acoustic with interesting instruments and percussion behind him. If I'm vague about the instruments I'm hearing it's because I can't figure out what the hell is making half the sounds I'm hearing! It's that kind of album, but such is the fun! "Film d'aurore" has a bit of a creepy vibe with a quick-paced tight drumming and industrial grating behind a heavy bass line. The track gets heavier and heavier with a definite Crimson-like cacophony, though this album is not like KC overall. Much of it is quieter and more folk-influenced, but with a modern sound. "Quest Terne" is a break-up song described as the "sun setting on the life of a couple." A softer track with a nice vocal. "L'Arbre" (the tree) is a tribute to nature and how our perceived evolution has actually been the opposite. We have set up a system that cannot sustain itself and refuse to take our heads out of the sand, lest we upset someone's profit potential. It's my favorite song here and not because just because of the subject: this is simply jubilant playing with nice hooks and Peter Gabriel style rhythms. "Cassiopee" is another treat with great escalation of the music until the frenzied latter part, while remaining grounded with the acoustic guitar and strong vocal melody.

The DVD is a fun bonus to have. You get a live performance (although I don't see the crowd.empty venue?) and a documentary. This is more like a road journal that shows us that while these guys play sophisticated music, they're still having fun like kids on the road. We see them partying in one city and getting back to their hotel rooms a little crazy pushing one another down the hallway on the luggage rack. There is also an informative history of the Leode instrument and how it came to be, very cool. And a promo video for "le repas de l'ogre" which proves the band has a way to go in the production of compelling rock video. The booklet contains complete lyrics in French with brief English descriptions about the subject matter, a very nice touch for those of us who understand English-only. And what a fantastic album cover!! It says a whole lot in that one photo if you really stop to think about it for a spell.

This is a band with much promise who I expect to only get better. I would like to hear maybe one or two instrumental tracks on their next album, here I believe all or most were quite vocal and I'd like to hear what they can do without that structure. But as they continue to master their unique sound and even expand it, my hope is that they maintain a strong emphasis on melody, on keeping it tethered to Earth in a sense. I think it's that combination of eclectic sound and folkish warmth that make this band so appealing to so many this year. 3 ¾ stars.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#159825) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 26, 2008

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars This French band didn't really impressed me with their previous album which was very much world music oriented.

It is rather different with En Avant Doute (which doesn't mean anything, it is a play-on-word actually). The opening number and title track sets the pace: great play-on-words, Crimsonesque music. It is a good summary of what we'll get on this good album. Laisse Courir reminds me of

The band keeps on with the magnificent Le Repas De L'Ogre. IMO, it is the best track of the band. Intriguing lyrics (at last!!!), scary and exceptionally dark music. The influences are obvious: Crimson for the music and Ange for the theatrical vocals and lyrics. It is a wonderful piece of music and a highlight of course.

The next song is a cover from Ange. Captain Coeur de Miel was the central piece of their very good Guet-Apens album. The last of their classic era. Although the original song lasts for about fourteen minutes, this cover only lasts for about a third of its original length. The vocal parts are the best ones and compared to the original version what is really missing is the fantastic closing guitar solo. Since this album is so short, they really could have developed this great song a little more.

The band is still in the very good territories with La Valse à Cent Ans. While the band totally ignored Ange in their first album, it sounds different here. Again, the whole Ange world is close: weird lyrics (which was a characteristic totally alien during Amnésie) with lots of play-on-words (like the masters). Another highlight.

The album goes on finely with another dark song: Film d' Aurore which is another scary number on the heavy side this time.

Other play on words with Ouest Terne (literally lifeless West but referring to Western-the US). Lyrics are full of these play-on-words mixing the wild West and the French (or best said Parisian) press world (Fogiel for whom who might know this TV guy whom I can't stand). But it is almost impossible for a non- French (or neighbour as I am Belgian) to get into these lyrics.

L' Arbre brings us back to their debut album and the world music feeling. Middle-East musical sounds and very high pitched vocals (as on most of the songs). One has to bear this aspect which could not be easily digested by most listeners.

In all, this album is much better than their Amnésie one. Much more interesting lyrics and obvious references to two prog giants for the instrumental parts are a much better experience.

Four stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#186542) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 20, 2008

3 stars This is much better than their debut i'll say that much. These guys have such a unique sound with the percussions, marimba, vibes, warr guitar, chapman stick and a homemade instrument called a leode that can make synth-like sounds to distorted guitar-like sounds. No keyboards. The vocalist does remind me a little of Descamps from ANGE, they even cover one of their songs, so they're no doubt influenced by this great fellow-French band. For me the toughest thing to digest is the vocals. They're not bad at all, it's just that they are often almost spoken and the focus of the song. Just not a fan of them that's all.

"En Avant Doute" is a good example of the vocals being the focus as sounds come and go in a pastoral setting. "Laisse Courir" opens with percussion and leode as reserved vocals come in. Some atmosphere here and good contrasts as well. One of the better tracks. "Le Repas De L'ogre" opens with almost spoken words and vibes while the leode creates some atmosphere. It kicks in briefly as contrasts continue.

"Capitaine Coeur De Miel (Part II)" is the ANGE cover but much shorter than the original. The vocals are almost spoken as leode cries out in the background. It's building until it gets intense before 2 minutes. This is the best part of the album. It ends as it began. "La Valse A Cent Ans" features vibes and fragile vocals. Not a fan. "Film D'aurore" again has these almost spoken vocals but it kicks in quickly. It sounds good 2 1/2 minutes in to the end. More intense. "Quest Terne" is my least favourite, it just doesn't go anywhere. "L'arbre" has these high pitched vocals and I like when it kicks in at 2 minutes. "Cassiopee" opens with some atmosphere as these light vocals come in. A heavier sound does take over and these contrasts continue.

Just can't get into this band the way most can.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#236001) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 30, 2009

4 stars Lazuli is one of the greatest musical discoveries I have made these years. I was completely blown away by performance of this French group during Symforce festival in Tilburg in 2007. I have never heard something like that. The group has such an absolutely unique sound, such a drive. They don' ... (read more)

Report this review (#547169) | Posted by justaguy | Sunday, October 09, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The album, when it came out, was named The Album Of The Month by a German magazine Eclipsed, so I decided to check it out. Well - it can easily qualify for the Album of the Year as well! The music here is mostly quite powerful, louder and harder than the band's previous effort "Amnesie", but sti ... (read more)

Report this review (#155910) | Posted by Pampa | Wednesday, December 19, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars One of the best french progressive rock group nowadays! Though Lazuli is a french group, offering pleasant and accessible music, and singing in french, it isn't well-known in the french rock scene. Don't ask me why I can't understand! They give a rare example of a progressive music that can eas ... (read more)

Report this review (#155670) | Posted by Urs Blank | Sunday, December 16, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of LAZULI "En avant doute..."