HEROES NEVER DIE -THE ANTHOLOGY

Prog Folk

Mostly Autumn Heroes Never Die -The Anthology album cover

Buy MOSTLY AUTUMN Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 2002

1. Never The Rainbow (4:32)
2. We Come And We Go (4:41)
3. Please (5:05)
4. The Spirit Of Autumn Past (4:34)
5. Evergreen (7:57)
6. The Riders Of Rohan (3:33)
7. The Great Blue Pearl (3:57)
8. Noise From My Head (3:05)
9. Half The Mountain (5:16)
10. Shrinking Violet (8:46)
11. Goodbye Alone (6:53)
12. Heroes Never Die (11:14)

Search MOSTLY AUTUMN Heroes Never Die -The Anthology lyrics

- Angela Goldthrope / flute, recorders, backing vocals
- Andy Smith / bass guitars
- Jonathan Blackmore / drums

Classic Rock Productions #CRP0899

and to qwek for the last updates

MOSTLY AUTUMN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MOSTLY AUTUMN Heroes Never Die -The Anthology Music

Classic Rock Legends 2005
Catch the Spirit: Complete AnthologyCatch the Spirit: Complete Anthology
Classic Rock Legends 2005
Audio CD$20.74 (used)
Mostly Autumn ?- The Story So Far CD..prog folk..RARE US $34.99 Buy It Now 18h 27m
MOSTLY AUTUMN - LIVE 2009 2 (UK) NEW CD US $26.78 Buy It Now 1 day
MOSTLY AUTUMN - STORMS OVER STILL WATER - NEW CD US $15.66 Buy It Now 2 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - GO WELL DIAMOND HEART - NEW CD US $15.66 Buy It Now 2 days
Mostly Autumn - Vol. 1-Live 2009 [CD New] US $22.99 Buy It Now 2 days
IAIN JENNINGS (MOSTLY AUTUMN) MY DARK SURPRISE JUNE 2013 NEW SOLO PROJECT US $17.35 Buy It Now 3 days
Mostly Autumn - The Spirit Of Autumn Past (CD) US $30.83 Buy It Now 3 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN- Passengers Promo CD (4 Trk Album Sampler) Pink Floyd Fans US $6.75 Buy It Now 3 days
Mostly Autumn - Vol. 2-Live 2009 [CD New] US $22.75 Buy It Now 3 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - THE GHOST MOON ORCHESTRA SEALED UK PROG LEGENDS US $18.26 Buy It Now 3 days
CYCLOPS SAMPLER 4 PROG ROCK 2CD MOSTLY AUTUMN CITIZEN CAIN FLAMBOROUGH KOPECKY US $13.77 Buy It Now 3 days
Mostly Autumn - Music Inspired by Lord of the Rings 2001 Legend Records US $25.96 Buy It Now 4 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - LIVE 2009 1 (UK) NEW CD US $26.78 Buy It Now 4 days
Live At the Boerderij - Mostly Autumn New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $34.28 Buy It Now 4 days
CLASSIC ROCK CD NO 13 - MOSTLY AUTUMN/PETE WAY/VAUGHN (REF E3) US $6.48 Buy It Now 4 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN;THE GHOST MOON ORCHESTRA/PROG US $11.35 [0 bids]
CLASSIC ROCK 2001: A ROCK ODYSSEY CD - MOSTLY AUTUMN/STRANGLERS/YES (REF E3) US $6.48 Buy It Now 4 days
Mostly Autumn ?- The Last Bright Light SEALED Original 2001 Cyclops CD Marillion US $31.95 Buy It Now 5 days
STORMS OVER STILL WATER Mostly Autumn Audio CD US $25.21 Buy It Now 5 days
INTROITUS Elements CD Swe PROG (Magenta, Karnataka, Mostly Autumn, Arena, Nexus) US $16.99 [0 bids]
MOSTLY AUTUMN - PASSENGERS [MOSTLY AUTUMN] - NEW CD US $16.22 Buy It Now 6 days
Mostly Autumn - For All We Shared (CD) US $38.15 Buy It Now 6 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - THAT NIGHT IN LEAMINGTON - NEW CD BOXSET US $18.49 Buy It Now 6 days
Mostly Autumn - Passengers Sampler CD (Classic Rock Legends, 2004) Rare promo! US $11.35 Buy It Now 7 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - GHOST MOON ORCHESTRA (UK) NEW CD US $32.70 Buy It Now 7 days
THAT NIGHT IN LEAMINGTON Mostly Autumn Audio CD US $28.13 Buy It Now 8 days
Mostly Autumn-PASSENGERS SUBSCRIBER'S EDITION including CD - Live at the Canterb US $71.42 Buy It Now 8 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN PASSANGERS SAMPLER 4 TRK CD PROMO VERY RARE HTF OOP 2004 US $7.00 [0 bids]
Mostly Autumn: High Voltage 2011.07.24 (1 CD) Concert Live US $27.10 Buy It Now 8 days
Mostly Autumn - Ghost Moon Orchestra [CD New] US $26.75 Buy It Now 8 days
Mostly Autumn - Dressed In Voices [CD New] US $17.92 Buy It Now 9 days
Dressed in Voices by Mostly Autumn (CD, Jun-2014, Mostly Autumn) US $15.99 Buy It Now 9 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - DRESSED IN VOICES (UK) NEW CD US $34.18 Buy It Now 9 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - LIVE AT LONDON ASTORIA 2005 - NEW CD US $14.13 Buy It Now 10 days
Mostly Autumn - Ghost Moon Orchestra CD US $27.94 Buy It Now 11 days
Mostly Autumn: The V Show (DVD) [USG] US $32.45 Buy It Now 11 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF S4) US $11.28 Buy It Now 12 days
~ MOSTLY AUTUMN - THE GHOST MOON ORCHESTRA~ MUSIC CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 13 days
ETERNAL WANDERERS - SO FAR AND SO NEAR NEW 2011 MAGENTA/MOSTLY AUTUMN/MARILLION US $15.83 Buy It Now 16 days
Mostly Autumn live CD The Story So Far OOP rare US $24.99 Buy It Now 17 days
Mostly Autumn - The Last Bright Light (CD) US $34.08 Buy It Now 18 days
Mostly Autumn - Storms Over London Town (CD 2006). Ex Cond US $11.35 Buy It Now 18 days
Slip Double: Mostly Autumn : Live 2011 High Voltage London England Ltd Edition US $28.39 Buy It Now 19 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - DRESSED IN VOICES (UK) NEW CD US $59.34 Buy It Now 20 days
Cyclops Sampler Vol. 4 2CD (Pineapple Thief Mostly Autumn Vulgar Unicorn) US $14.59 Buy It Now 20 days
Mostly Autumn : STORMS OVER STILL WATER CD (2009) US $19.29 Buy It Now 20 days
Mostly Autumn UK Tour 2010 + 2011 (It Bites Wishbone Ash) Promo Flyer x 4 US $3.98 Buy It Now 20 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - DRESSED IN VOICES [5060119300212] - NEW CD US $29.70 Buy It Now 20 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - DRESSED IN VOICES [5060119300205] - NEW CD US $50.93 Buy It Now 20 days
Dressed in Voices by Mostly Autumn (CD, Jun-2014, Mostly Autumn) US $14.94 Buy It Now 21 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - LIVE AT HIGH VOLTAGE 2011 NEW CD US $31.21 Buy It Now 21 days
PETE WAY Johnny Zhivago MOSTLY AUTUMN White Heat comp US $9.99 Buy It Now 22 days
Mostly Autumn - Passengers (CD) BREATHING SPACE HALO BLIND KARNATAKA PANIC ROOM US $24.34 Buy It Now 22 days
Mostly Autumn - Live At High Voltage 2011 [CD New] US $26.66 Buy It Now 22 days
GO WELL DIAMOND HEART Mostly Autumn Audio CD US $25.21 Buy It Now 23 days
THE GHOST MOON ORCHESTRA Mostly Autumn Audio CD US $25.21 Buy It Now 23 days
Still Beautiful - Live 2011 Mostly Autumn Audio CD US $28.13 Buy It Now 23 days
LIVE AT THE BOERDERIJ Mostly Autumn Audio CD US $28.13 Buy It Now 23 days
Mostly Autumn - Still Beautiful: Live 2011 [CD New] US $24.12 Buy It Now 23 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - LIVE AT THE BOERDERIJ - NEW CD BOXSET US $17.32 Buy It Now 23 days
Mostly Autumn - Live At High Voltage 2011 CD US $26.67 Buy It Now 24 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - STILL BEAUTIFUL: LIVE 2011 NEW CD US $28.26 Buy It Now 25 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - LIVE AT THE BOERDERIJ (2PC) / NEW DVD US $46.76 Buy It Now 25 days
IAIN JENNINGS - BREATHING SPACE SEALED MOSTLY AUTUMN US $16.48 Buy It Now 25 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN Heart Full of Sky 11 track CD SEALED US $20.72 Buy It Now 25 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN Still Beautiful: Live 2011 19 track 2 CD SEALED US $24.34 Buy It Now 25 days
Mostly Autumn: Live at the Boerderij - Digital Versatile Disc (DVD) Region 2 Bra US $43.00 Buy It Now 26 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN-LIVE AT THE BOERDERIJ CD NEW US $30.16 Buy It Now 26 days
Mostly Autumn - Live At The Boerderij [CD New] US $17.32 Buy It Now 26 days
Live at the Boerderij by Mostly Autumn (CD, Mar-2013, 2 Discs, Mostly Autumn) US $14.40 Buy It Now 26 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - LIVE AT THE BOERDERIJ NEW CD US $36.05 Buy It Now 26 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN - DRESSED IN VOICES SEALED JUNE 2014 CELTIC KINGS OF PROG US $18.26 Buy It Now 26 days
Mostly Autumn - Live at the Boerderij 2012 - CD X 2 (2013) Prog Rock US $22.71 Buy It Now 27 days
Mostly Autumn - Still Beautiful (Live 2011) CD X 2 (2011) Prog Rock US $21.09 Buy It Now 27 days
Dressed in Voices - Mostly Autumn New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $53.94 Buy It Now 27 days
Dressed in Voices - Mostly Autumn New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $32.71 Buy It Now 27 days
Mostly Autumn - Still Beautiful: Live 2011 CD US $24.13 Buy It Now 28 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN Dressed In Voices (Mostly Autumn Records AUT 0345) CD US $19.47 Buy It Now 28 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN Glass Shadows (Mostly Autumn Records AUT 7333) CD US $19.47 Buy It Now 28 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN Go Well Diamond Heart (Mostly Autumn Records AUT 0337) CD US $19.47 Buy It Now 28 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN Heart Full Of Sky (Mostly Autumn Records AUT 0933) CD US $19.47 Buy It Now 28 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN Live 2009 - Part I (Mostly Autumn Records AUT 0331) CD US $16.22 Buy It Now 28 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN Live 2009 - Part II (Mostly Autumn Records AUT 0332) CD US $16.22 Buy It Now 28 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN Still Beautiful - Live 2011 (Mostly Autumn Records AUT 0339) 2CD US $22.71 Buy It Now 28 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN Storms Over London Town (Mostly Autumn Records AUT 6333) CD US $19.47 Buy It Now 28 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN Storms Over Still Water (Mostly Autumn Records AUT 1770) CD US $19.47 Buy It Now 28 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN That Night In Leamington (Mostly Autumn Records AUT 0338) 2CD US $21.09 Buy It Now 28 days
MOSTLY AUTUMN The Ghost Moon Orchestra (Mostly Autumn Records AUT 0341) CD US $19.47 Buy It Now 28 days
Passengers Mostly Autumn CD US $58.01 Buy It Now 28 days
Mostly Autumn - Vol. 2-Live 2009 CD US $22.76 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy MOSTLY AUTUMN music online Buy MOSTLY AUTUMN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MOSTLY AUTUMN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MOSTLY AUTUMN Heroes Never Die -The Anthology ratings distribution

MOSTLY AUTUMN Heroes Never Die -The Anthology reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars .but albums of that name do

This compilation of some of Mostly Autumn's best tracks has now been deleted, having been superseded by the double CD compilation "Catch the spirit". CD 1 of that set is subtitled "Heroes never die", and consists of the same tracks that are included here, except that "Never the rainbow" on this album is replaced by "Nowhere to hide".

The music of Mostly Autumn has similarities to Pink Floyd (although this is somewhat overplayed in their marketing), the guitar work in particular having "echoes" of David Gilmour. The vocals alternate between male and female leads, Heather Findlay in particular having a wonderfully melodic delivery. The inevitable comparisons with the music Renaissance are valid in that both bands deliver softer music with folk or Celtic influences.

I find the music contained here is of a consistently high quality, well performed, well written, and thoroughly enjoyable. The band may sit at the softer end of the prog spectrum, but for me they deliver quality music which is very much of this genre. The guitar work, which as suggested above may be open to accusations of derivation, is nonetheless inspired and at times breathtaking.

A fine collection of some of the band's earlier work, but if the opportunity is there, go for the more recent and updated "Catch the spirit".

(I'm not sure why this album appears twice in identical format in the listing for Mostly Autumn, but as this entry is unreviewed, I have added this entry.)

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#11994) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Review by Muzikman
5 stars The more I hear progressive rock music the more I realize just how much I have to learn. Progressive rock is comparable to jazz in complexity at times, and it takes many years of study to fully understand. Although I did delve into some of the groups like JeETHRO TULL when I began my lifelong love of music back in the 60s, I had no clue that what I was listening to was rock music influenced by classical music, I was just a kid. That is what's so exciting for me as a listener, discovering new and wonderfully exciting prog-rock on a regular basis.

MOSTLY AUTUMN is one fantastic band that I wish I knew about a long time ago. @Heroes Never Die - The Anthology@ is a group of songs that have been re-recorded for optimum listening pleasure. The group felt that it was more important to have a second chance at some of their songs to make them better rather than just release all of them again as is for a best of package. I couldn't have started at a better place for a first time listener. I have listened to this CD four times now, and I still want to hear it again and again. I recognize this state of mind; it's that obsessive can't-get-enough-of- feeling that you get when you hear music that you fall in love with. You can a have an immense pile of great CDs sitting right in front of you, but they become nonexistent when you become captivated with one particular CD, it happens to me a lot.

This British group has put a big bang back into prog-rock no doubt. With a vast pool of talent to draw from, they very wittily use each and every member's strengths to form an incomparable One that won't bend or break. With three extraordinary vocalists in Byran Losh, Heather Findlay, and Angela Goldthrope, plus the standout musicianship to go along with it, this group really packs a powerful punch. Their sound sneaks up on you in just about every song. They paint a beautiful aural picture then suddenly break out of it in dramatic fashion with rocking guitars, organ, and a steadfast rhythm section that never misses a beat. This is all done expertly, just like any great prog-rock band would develop a song and all the transitions that the style of music is known for. Technically they are right on top of things as well, layering and separating all the instruments perfectly to blend the music for seamless shifts from hard to soft sounds at a moments notice. Whether it's theatrical moving or visually engaging, the listener will feel all the perplexing melodies and rocking guitar lines every step of the way.

Groups like this define what progressive rock is all about. My favs are "The Riders of Rohan" and "Noise From My Head," which are filled with contagious hooks that suck you right in instantaneously. Every song is quite simply, dazzling. This one is a must have for you collection.

Send comments to Muzikman (BETA) | Report this review (#11995) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 28, 2005

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
4 stars This was a single disk anthology presumably released to showcase the first four studio albums. It has since been removed from the band’s catalog, and the songs here all appear on the two-disk Catch the Spirit anthology released later the same year with a similar cover (and a higher price). I got this one from one of my kids after watching his V Shows DVD and picking up the Lord of the Rings CD for myself. Pretty much everything the band does now makes it onto my music buying list after hearing both of those.

I like that these guys are considered folk progressive. I think that is a highly accurate description, and would have been disappointed if their sometimes seemingly derivative sound and their obvious business sensibilities had gotten them labeled as only a prog- related band. I think Mostly Autumn represents both a new wave of progressive music with a folk tinge to it, and also a throwback to larger, mixed-gender bands where the females are integral parts of the creative process and not simply window dressing.

I don’t know enough about the band to know if this is a good song selection for an anthology since I only own Lord of the Rings out of their first four albums, but I can say that after reading through the long list of the Catch the Spirit collection (and seeing it’s price), that if you can find this one instead – buy it. You get a very solid sampling of the band and an instant collector’s item to boot, since it is now an out-of-print curio for a band that will only continue to get bigger as time goes on.

Findlay’s vocals are just gorgeous on “Never the Rainbow”, and combined with Bryan Josh’s heavily Gilmour-influenced guitar, deep bass, and heavy organ chords has a real 70s feel to it. One of the many singers Findlay reminds me of, particularly on this song, is Tanya Donnelly of Throwing Muses from around that period. She projects strong sensuality and emotion without seemingly even trying – this just seems to be the way she is. Musically this isn’t anything overly complex – a fairly straightforward rock rhythm, some pretty decent guitar work that vacillates between neo-psychedelic and metal, some keyboards but really more as a garnish than a central part of the music. None of the parts are spectacular, but combined they make for a song that I have had on heavy favorites rotation on my PC’s media player for a couple years now.

“We Come and We Go” has more of the whining, Floydish guitar, but also a bit of just plain strumming. Both Findlay and flautist Goldthrope provide slow and evocative vocals and again leave me wondering what it is about this song that draws me to it. Not sure, but this is absolutely a lover’s song as well as a tender moment for couples at any Mostly Autumn concert.

Josh sings on “Please”, a track that is heavy with synthesized and drawn-out keyboards, plus the by-now expected whining guitar. The simple beat and Josh’s pensive voice kind of give this the feel of 80s bands like Psychedelic Furs, but with less creepy vocals.

“The Spirit of Autumn Past” is a duet, sort of. At least both Josh and Findlay sing on it. This one has some brief forays into some slightly awkward guitar riffs in the middle, but the piano and organ lead it nicely to an end. As it appears on the anthology this is only an average recording, but this is one of several songs on the album that could easily have been enhanced with some extended instrumental sections and perhaps a more liberal use of percussion or orchestral accompaniment.

“Evergreen” was the first Mostly Autumn song I ever heard, and is still one of my favorites. This starts of slowly with plucked acoustic guitar and willowy keyboards, leading to Findlay in a dreamy soprano that sounds all the world like Kate Bush. This one never really picks up much steam until around the middle, but the multi-layered keyboards and occasional recorder give this a wistful, moody feel that contrasts well with the torrid guitar that finally kicks in around the five minute mark. About the last half of the song turns instrumental, and to my mind this could have easily been explored even further as the pensive mood becomes one that is ever-present throughout the V Shows. This just has a heavy, quality feel to it.

“The Riders of Rohan” is another that reminds me quite a bit of Tanya Donnelly, but perhaps with a bit richer melodic range. This is from the Lord of the Rings album, and except for the intermittent guitar flourishes it has a slightly mystic and brooding feel to it.

I believe “Noise From My Head” is the only original track here, although most of the others have either been re-recorded, or at least re-mastered. Here again the emphasis is on piano and driving guitar, although the guitar is not as heavy on this track as on some others. There’s nothing really special about the song, but it may be of interest to completionists. This is another one that sounds like it came out of the latter 80s with its repetitive lyrics and simple rhythm structure.

“Half the Mountain” is heavy on flute and organ, and here again Josh decides to tackle the vocals. This is a song of yearning about a missing lover, and takes an odd turn about halfway in with a weird tempo change and blast of guitar that you could tell me was done by Pete Trewavas and I wouldn’t be surprised (it wasn’t, by the way). It does seem weird to say that Mostly Autumn’s music isn’t derivative, but I keep pointing out all the people they remind me of. The point should be made that this doesn’t really mean I think they are copying those various musicians’ sounds – I just think they have a knack for mood-setting in their music, and most of the people I’ve mentioned up to now also tended to excel at this as well.

“Shrinking Violet” starts off a bit like “Evergreen”, but this one never really picks up much steam. For me this is the weakest track, not bad but not noteworthy either.

Josh’s guitar on “Goodbye Alone” ranges all over the place, and makes for a really interesting listen just to try and figure out what his thought process was in the chord sequences. Frankly I don’t think the composition really gets its legs, but there are several points where I get the impression the guitar and keyboards are just going to take off, but they don’t. A fadeout ending signals to me that this one never got the full development treatment in the studio, and might end up being better in a live version.

There’s not really much to say about “Heroes Never Die” unless you’ve never heard it. It is still probably the most progressive composition to come out of the band. Like so many of their songs, the lead-in is slow and dreamy, light strummed guitar with flute and spacey keyboards setting a mystic mood. Again Josh and Findlay combine to perform the lyrics, and this has the feel of a folkish epic tale, which is sort of what it is. This is supposedly a re-mastered version of the one off their debut – don’t know, haven’t heard that one. But I do know that the guitar and keyboards are not as rich or developed as they are on the V Shows DVD, and this version is a couple minutes shorter than the one on the Prints in the Stone EP. I like this song because all the instruments and all three vocalists have measurable contributions, and it has a definitive ending, as opposed to several of the tracks that just seem to have a vaguely unfinished aura to them.

I can’t really describe well the reasons for liking most of these songs, which isn’t surprising since it’s the mood they evoke that make them memorable, and that is something which is purely subjective and therefore defies definition. I do know that “Never the Rainbow”, We Come and We Go”, “Half the Mountain”, “Evergreen”, and “Heroes Never Die” are songs I can play any time and never get tired of hearing them. For older progressive music fans these will undoubtedly take you back to some moods and emotions from the late 70s and 80s you had probably forgotten. The rest of the songs are good too, but seem to be largely underachieving and may get reworked (probably live) at some point to improve them even further. I highly recommend this anthology to progressive folk fans, older fans of symphonic and more traditional art rock, and those who simply love a great woman’s voice set to ethereal guitar and moody keyboards. Four stars.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#84427) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 21, 2006

Post a review of MOSTLY AUTUMN "Heroes Never Die -The Anthology"