CHEIRO DE VIDA

Cheiro De Vida

Cheiro De Vida Cheiro De Vida album cover

Buy CHEIRO DE VIDA Music
Studio Album, released in 1984

1. Fechado Pra Balanšo (4:40)
2. Asas Longas (4:02)

- Alexandre Fonseca / drums
- Dudu Trentin / keyboards

1984 LP
1999 CD

Thanks to memowakeman for the addition
and to t.rox for the last updates

CHEIRO DE VIDA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CHEIRO DE VIDA Cheiro De Vida Music

More places to buy CHEIRO DE VIDA music online Buy CHEIRO DE VIDA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CHEIRO DE VIDA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CHEIRO DE VIDA Cheiro De Vida ratings distribution

CHEIRO DE VIDA Cheiro De Vida reviews

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Great jazzy prog, one of those hidden or forgotten bands.

If we look at the band-counter listed in PA, we will realize that just a few percentage of them are actually the ones we know, well at least with me, i know quite a bit of them, but i am sure it is not even half of the bands listed here, what i┤m trying to say is that there are lots of great bands that have made excellent music throughout the years, some years ago i was a person who didn┤t like to discover new bands or search for old gems even in the same prog realm, now i know that it was a mistake but the good thing is now that i am looking for old and hidden gems, i feel very pleased with some of them, because believe me, there are a hugh amount of albums worth listening.

So here we have one of those lost and hidden prog gems, this is Cheiro de Vida, a band from Brazil that i knew some months ago when was added to this site, i like a lot brazilian prog, from Os Mutantes to Spin XXI, but this was kind of different to me since their style is oriented to the jazz side of prog.

I didn┤t go further with the band, i mean i just limited myself in listening to their music and not looking for extra info about it┤s history or something like that, i just know that they are from Brazil and made just one album (sadly).

A self-titled album which contains 10 short songs, just one of them passes the 5 minutes, the running time of the album is almost 38 minutes and is completely instrumental.

Fechado Para Balanco the first song which immediately comes up with the jazzy feeling, also we notice an excellent musicianship, the rythm is kind of bright and happy, there are some nice guitar riffs. Asas Longas is at the beginning softer than the opener song, but then turs to a faster tempo song with some nice changes within it, good bass lines and drumming. Entre Estrelas is even softer than the previous ones, a calm passage of fabolous playing, there are excellent armonies between the instruments, though this song is more oriented to the soft jazz side rather than the prog side, here we have also acoustic guitars. Tema do Bonder is a nice track but not the best, the first half has a delicated sound while the second is a bit heavier. Crep˙sculo starts with electric guitars and then some arpeggios with the acoustic one, we listen to a very nice background made by all the instruments but the guitar, which is the leading instrument of the song with it┤s riffs. Hyeronimus Bosch is one of my favourites, it has excellent bass lines, i love them and the music in general follows the same vein as the first ones. Ai, Stanley has an extra point, because it provides us with a sitar, which is one of the instruments that i love the most, well the sound it makes its just beautiful, this is the longest song of the album and actually it has nothing to do with the music we had listened so far, since its completely sitar driven. Ayisha comebacks to the soft prog jazz style the band was used to play, again what catches more my attention is the bass sound, the music itself is not that complex, but very well done. Nosferatu starts with a beautiful and delicate bass playing, along with some background guitars and keys, the song follows the same line during the 4 minutes it lasts, good. O Bom Pastor is the last song, of an album that i would descibe as pleasant ffor someone who liked the light jazz prog, with a touch of raga music, this song has some strange noises i dont know if made by the guitars or the keys, it has a very 80s sound indeed.

I feel pleased while listening to this album, is just an example of how interesting is to look for forgotten bands, we can find great surprises. A nice find, great band and good music, my grade would be 3 stars because i consider it good but non- essential, however i recommend it.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#171969) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 22, 2008

4 stars I am most sorry Brazilian (not to mention from other coutries, of course) musicians are usually underrated... some didn't even manage to achieve success in their homeland, you see. Cheiro De Vida's unfortune is due to the fact of the group being one of the many orphans of progressive music. Such ... (read more)

Report this review (#170638) | Posted by Oneiromancer | Sunday, May 11, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CHEIRO DE VIDA "Cheiro De Vida"