CALIBRATION (IS PUSHING LUCK AND KEY TOO FAR)

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Calibration (Is Pushing Luck and Key Too Far) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Mexico (3:00)
2. El Monte Tai (2:33)
3. Una Ced Lacerante (2:47)
4. Calibration... (3:36)
5. Grey (Cancion Para El) (3:29)
6. Glosa Picaresca Wou Men (3:27)
7. Sidewalk Fins 6:32)
8. Lick the Tilting Poppies (5:17)
9. Cortar El Cuello 3:24)
10. ...Is Pushing Luck (8:11)
11. Las Lagrimas de Arakuine (11:11)

Search OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ Calibration (Is Pushing Luck and Key Too Far) lyrics

Search OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ Calibration (Is Pushing Luck and Key Too Far) tabs

- Omar Rodriguez-Lopez / guitars, bass (6,7,8), synthesizer (1,3,6,7,8,11), Mexican harp (1), vocals & lyrics (2,7,8), vocals (4), wurlitzer (3), tea kettle (3), tus (5), rhodes (7), drum machine (7), clavinet (8)
- Juan Alderete / bass (1,2,4,7,10,11)
- Thomas Pridgen / drums (1,7,11)
- Marcel Rodriguez-Lopez / drums (2,4,8,10), percussion (2,6,10), synthesizer (1,6,7,11), clavinet (6)
- Adrián Terrazas-González / woodwinds & percussion (2,10)
- Money Mark / synthesizer (2,10)
- Cedric Bixler-Zavala / vocals & lyrics (4,10)
- John Frusciante / vocals & lyrics (6)
- Sara Christina Gross / saxophone (7)
- Tina Rodriguez / vocals (1,6)
- Kim Humphreys / violin (2,5,8)

NO2 Records N20J-114 CD Released in Japan on December 15, 2007, and in the U.S. on February 5, 2008

Thanks to ayakazoob for the addition
and to anael for the last updates

OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ Calibration (Is Pushing Luck and Key Too Far) Music

Calibration (is Pushing Luck and Key Too Far)Calibration (is Pushing Luck and Key Too Far)
Content/Copy-Protected CD
N2O Entertainment 2008

More places to buy OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ music online Buy OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ Calibration (Is Pushing Luck and Key Too Far) ratings distribution

OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ Calibration (Is Pushing Luck and Key Too Far) reviews

Review by Moatilliatta
2 stars As much as The Mars Volta makes me salivate all over the place, the band's mastermind has consistently kept my mouth dry with his solo releases. Granted, this is not meant to be The Volta and shouldn't be criticized for not being like them, but that is not what I do! Omar just has a problem where he has way to many ideas to handle (not too different from my own band), but instead of just putting all of the good ones towards his primary band and trashing the rest, or letting them sit for a bit and eventually he'll figure out something great to do with them, he decides to record everything else and release it under his name. Sure, a couple of his releases are pretty enjoyable. However, I can't help but get the feeling that the man is just using the fame of The Mars Volta to sell these scrapes of ideas he has sitting around and make some extra money, because artistic integrity would have suppressed half of these releases. Maybe some people really do see value in these releases (they're brainwashed I tell you!), but with Calibration, I don't see how the yeasayers of before can continue saying "yea," which to the best of my recollection is only used regularly in Congress, so you should get with the times people. On a side note, "yea" how I spell "yeah" on AIM and I spell "yea" "yay;" it's a habit I haven't broken, but it's not like I am saying "yea" and meaning "yea" like those yeasayers I was just talking about.

Anyway, this album is a bunch of mediocre ideas that sound like ones from his other albums. Unfortunately, being such a slobber-soaked Volta fan, I feel like I should check out Omar's solo albums, and I can't say that I listen to any of them anymore (even the good ones). But this album isn't a travesty, and I'm sure somebody will still say "yea" to this. Maybe if this is your first Omar solo album you might get something out of it, but for those who have heard one or two or more already, there is nothing to hear on this one.

Send comments to Moatilliatta (BETA) | Report this review (#170121) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Review by snobb
2 stars One of Omar Rodriguez-Lopez albums you can easily leave on the shelf. Whenever bigger part of this great musician's solo works is really more experimental (and often more interesting) than more respectable ( if The Mars Volta's music could be named "respectable") his main band's albums, some solo albums are just fillers.

This one is from such category. You can find there almost all TMV musicians participated in recordings (in different combinations), and bigger part of songs are with different vocalists singing ( not only Cedric Bixler-Zavala ). But it doesn't change situation too much - in fact this album sounds as chaotic and badly recorded and mixed collection of TMV outtakes and rehearsals.

There are few small interesting musical moments, but generally material is very raw, songs are unfinished, placed on album in chaotic order, without minimal useable production. And music itself is mostly uninspired. Just dirty sounding pieces of songs or demo compositions.

Possibly, this release still could be interesting for TMV/O-R-L heavy fans and researchers, but has nothing to offer to regular music listener.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#275924) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 02, 2010

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
3 stars I haven't heard *all* of Omar's solo albums(who has the time or money?), but of the 5 or so I have heard this is one of the best. I stumbled upon this in a music store(remember those?). It was the only ORL they had. Being a big Mars Volta fan at the time I bought it. This is a frustrating album because it is neither good nor horrible. Overall it just seems like a bunch of half-finished ideas. It's a good thing Cedric is here. Sort of. He only appears on two songs which are basically the same song. The title track has Cedric with an absolutely annoying computer-generated effect on his vocals during the chorus. The rest of the song isn't bad. "...Is Pushing Luck" is basically the same song but in more of a dub fashion. It's longer, spacier and you can actually hear Cedric sing: "I came to warn you that I haven't got a clue".

The rest of the album I can describe as: trippy, rockin', electronic, Latin, freaky, mellow. There are some violin parts here which aren't too bad. Some of the guitar riffs are really good and should have been worked on more. Omar himself does most of the singing. John Frusciante sings on one song. Nothing really stands out except the two songs I mentioned. His album Old Money is the best thing I've heard him do solo. I should pick that up one of these days. Don't expect to hear anything like The Mars Volta here. 2.5 but I'm gonna round it off to 3 because this isn't a total throwaway.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#306160) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 22, 2010

3 stars A diabolic hallucination Futuristic avant-garde prog, diabolic hallucinations or bad dreams. Frantic noise , distinctive Volta like Omar guitars, experimental, annoying, beautiful, confusing, avant-prog. Was some of the first words that came to mind when I was thinking about how to revi ... (read more)

Report this review (#635221) | Posted by tamijo | Friday, February 17, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is one fantastic mess. I'm quite surprised to see that Calibration is recieved so poorly on this site. This is not a prog album by any means, more of an experimental free-for-all. All of the tracks are bizarre and heavily mixed and the album lacks fluidity as a whole...but thats what ... (read more)

Report this review (#204567) | Posted by Sgt. Smiles | Friday, February 27, 2009 | Review Permanlink

2 stars this album as all the albums of omar have a great songs an totaly bad songs,extreamly boring to hear a complete album from omar. this album have a lot of influences of the last album of marsvolta is like an extencion but just the sound. Calibration the single is very experimental like allways and ... (read more)

Report this review (#169560) | Posted by criarpo | Friday, May 02, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is an alright album, but it just does not cut it for me. I like Mars Volta's, but this album is just....kind of....boring. Omar is an amazing guitarist, but I would stick with his self titled album, now that was brilliant, but this album kind of dissapointed me. Calibration was an intere ... (read more)

Report this review (#163330) | Posted by Prog_Rocks | Thursday, March 06, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ "Calibration (Is Pushing Luck and Key Too Far)"