THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY - PROGFEST '94

Giraffe

Giraffe The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - ProgFest '94 album cover

Buy GIRAFFE Music
Live, released in 1994

1. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (5:13)
2. Fly on a Windshield (2:48)
3. Broadway Melody of 1974 (2:01)
4. In the Cage (9:12)
5. The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging (2:58)
6. Back in N.Y.C. (5:50)
7. The Carpet Crawlers (6:07)
8. Lilywhite Lillith (2:55)
9. The Lamia (7:54)
10. The Colony of Slippermen (6:35)
11. The Raven (0:58)
12. In the Rapids (2:27)
13. It/Watcher of the Skies (7:16)
14. The Musical Box (6:44)

Search GIRAFFE The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - ProgFest '94 lyrics

Search GIRAFFE The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - ProgFest '94 tabs

- Kevin Gilbert / vocals, keyboards, bass, guitars
- Stan Cotey / guitars, keyboards
- Michael Abowd / keyboards
- Chris Beveridge / bass
- Nick D'Virgilio / drums

and to ProgLucky for the last updates

GIRAFFE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GIRAFFE The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - ProgFest '94 Music

More places to buy GIRAFFE music online Buy GIRAFFE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GIRAFFE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GIRAFFE The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - ProgFest '94 ratings distribution

GIRAFFE The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - ProgFest '94 reviews

Review by VanVanVan
3 stars This is the second cover version of The Lamb that I've reviewed in addition to the original, the other tribute being by Nick D'Virgilio's "Rewiring Genesis." I gave that album five stars, and upon learning that Nick D'Virgilio also appeared on a cover performance by Kevin Gilbert's band (whose solo album "The Shaming of the True" I quite enjoyed) I decided to give this album a shot.

Unfortunately, this album is not so good as the "Rewiring Genesis" tribute. Where that album rearranged and added elements to songs that made them sound fresh and new, this one is pretty much a straight cover performance. There's nothing wrong with that, of course; it's performed very well, it's just that there really is nothing new here. I strongly believe that in order for a cover to be worth doing something should be added; the performers should do something to make it their own. Otherwise I generally find myself wondering why I'm not just listening to the original, and that's basically the case here.

In addition, many of the best songs from the Lamb are not here. No "Chamber of 32 Doors," no "Hairless Heart," no "The Light Dies Down on Broadway." I understand that the performers had a limited amount of time, but again, that's something that makes me wonder why I'm listening to this and not just the original.

I don't mean to sound too harsh; there certainly are good things about this performance. Kevin Gilbert sings with a lot of passion and it's a lot of fun to hear him narrate, occasionally adding bits that I'm sure were not in Gabriel's original narration. I'm sure this concert was amazing to see; it simply doesn't translate fantastically to an audio album. If there was a DVD of this that would probably be a much better experience of this concert.

I suppose my biggest problem is that there's just not much reason to listen to this. If you want to hear a good cover of the Lamb, "Rewiring Genesis," is a much better choice; and if you want to hear Gilbert do his thing than his aforementioned solo album shows his abilities far better than this. It's a good performance of good music, but that's all it is; a performance. I think this falls somewhere between "collectors/fans only" and "good, but non-essential;" for now, I'll go ahead and round up.

2.5/5, Rounded up.

Send comments to VanVanVan (BETA) | Report this review (#483285) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 16, 2011

4 stars Let me start by saying that it's an utter tragedy that this recording is so hard to find. And even moreso that I'm the first to review this performance here -- 15 years after it took place! It took all of my resources to find video of this performance, but it was worth the effort many times ove ... (read more)

Report this review (#204090) | Posted by brystmar | Monday, February 23, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GIRAFFE "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - ProgFest '94"