DAY TRIP (W/ CHRISTIAN MCBRIDE & ANTONIO SANCHEZ)

Pat Metheny

Pat Metheny Day Trip (w/ Christian McBride & Antonio Sanchez) album cover

Buy PAT METHENY Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Son Of Thirteen (5:49)
2. At Last You're Here (8:00)
3. Let's Move (5:21)
4. Snova (6:01)
5. Calvin's Keys (7:31)
6. Is This America? (Katrina 2005) (4:36)
7. When We Were Free (9:08)
8. Dreaming Trees (7:47)

Additional personnel:
- Christian McBride / acoustic bass
- Antonio Sanchez / drums

Nonesuch Label - Cat. #376828

Thanks to classicrocker for the addition
and to Rivertree for the last updates

PAT METHENY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PAT METHENY Day Trip (w/ Christian McBride & Antonio Sanchez) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
What's It All AboutWhat's It All About
Nonesuch 2011
Unity BandUnity Band
Nonesuch 2012
Bright Size LifeBright Size Life
Ecm Records 2000
Still Life (Talking)Still Life (Talking)
Nonesuch 2011
Pat Metheny GroupPat Metheny Group
Ecm Records 2000
WatercolorsWatercolors
Polygram Records 2000
Secret Story 2CD Special EditionSecret Story 2CD Special Edition
Wea/Atlantic/Nonesuch 2007

More places to buy PAT METHENY music online Buy PAT METHENY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PAT METHENY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PAT METHENY Day Trip (w/ Christian McBride & Antonio Sanchez) ratings distribution

PAT METHENY Day Trip (w/ Christian McBride & Antonio Sanchez) reviews

Review by EatThatPhonebook
3 stars 5/10

"Day Trip" is just another album among Pat Metheny's immense discography.

"Day Trip" is one of the more than few trio collaborations Pat Metheny's had: this time, with Christian McBride on bass and Antonio Sanchez on drums. The experience of the last two musicians pales in comparison to the one of the guitarist, so I tend to forget about them, even though overall they did a pretty good job in accompanying Metheny. But the result I have here is disappointing, as it was inevitable for a musician like Pat to disappoint more than a few times: just look at his immense discography.

Stylistically on this one Metheny abandons the ambitious Fusion style full of different sounds and instruments and aims to a more intimate atmosphere, and prefers to use only three instruments. Due to the massive presence of guitar, this still is a Fusion album, but it is much more played like it was lounge music. In a word, boring. This album was boring me in quite a few moments, the music was dull, not that inspired (with a few exceptions), and easily forgettable. There were, like I said, a few exceptions that grabbed my attention, but otherwise I found myself wandering in my thoughts listening to this, not being minimally provoked.

But I must say, that even though it is over an hour long and it is all that I said previously, this album has quite a bit of variety that a Metheny fan would surely be able to appreciate: there are acoustic moments, electric ones, maybe even some electronics in the background. The bass gives an actually great addiction to the overall sound, and the drums are honestly one of the best I've heard in recent Pat Metheny albums. We also got those few melodic songs that the musicians has always included in his works, usually being the title track ( most obvious examples are "New Chautauqua" and "Bright Size Life"), even though on this one it is an exception But "Son Of Thirteen" is a great example of these kind of songs. "Dreaming Trees" has some precious acoustic moments that immediately grabbed my attention, and "Is This America?" was another highlight for me, beautifully intimate and executed.

However, I feel a little underwhelmed by the music here, It just seems a little too mellow and low tuned, even though it has some variety, like I said. If you're not familiar with this musician and you are interested in giving him a try, I wouldn't recommend starting on this one: Personally, it seems like another album among Metheny's immense discography, that can easily be ignored or forgotten.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#562027) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 04, 2011

Review by b_olariu
3 stars One of his more recent works I've discovered, or better said this album named Day trip was a gift because I've bought Secret story is another worthy release from thsi well known musicin. as I said this type of music is usualy not really of my liking, but from time to time I need such calm jazz. Released in 2008 I guess, here Metheny explores to the maximum his smooth jazz abilitis on guitar, practicaly whole album is quite calm without bursting moments, this kind of music is better to have on a dinner. Aswell his musical mates Christian McBride & Antonio Sanchez done a good job here for sure. Highlights, well not many but Calvin's Keys is excellent. Impressive art work aswell. 3 stars for this one, little weaker then Secret story but I think is more then ok. 3 stars no more then taht.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#1028668) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Post a review of PAT METHENY "Day Trip (w/ Christian McBride & Antonio Sanchez)"