WALLY

4. Sunday Walking Lady
5. To The Urban Man
6. Your Own Way

- Pete Cosker / Electric and acoustic guitars, vocals, bass guitar
- Paul Gerrett / Fender Rhodes, harmonium, grand piano, harpischord, Mellotron, hammond organ, vocals
- Paul Middleton / Steel guitar, bass guitar)
- Roger Narraway (percussion)
- Pete Sage / Electric violin, bass guitar, mandolin)
- Roy Webber / lead vocals, acoustic guitar

Atlantic K50051 (1974)

Thanks to Ivan_Melgar_M for the addition

Buy WALLY Wally Music

1975 George Carlin Evening with Wally Londo LP Comedy Record USD $9.95 Buy It Now
12" Wally Jump Jr. & the Criminal element Sworn to Fun USD $8.00 Buy It Now
Diana Dors-Swinging Dors-Columbia 1436-WALLY STOTT 6-EYE MONO USD $29.99 Buy It Now
Jerry Joseph + Wally Ingram Civility 2010 Cosmo Sex School Records cd1685 USD $8.95 Buy It Now
The Old Country Church T. Texas Tyler Wally Fowler SEALED NEW LP Hurrah Records USD $4.50 Buy It Now
L'il WALLY -POLAND TOUR. POLSKIE SPIEWANIE I GRANIE JLP S-5101 LP-POLKAS USD $7.99 Buy It Now
WALLY BADAROU - BACK TO SCALES TO-NIGHT - NEW CD ALBUM USD $16.89 Buy It Now 14m 17s
WALLY BADAROU - BACK TO SCALES TO-NIGHT - NEW VINYL LP USD $23.39 Buy It Now 14m 20s
BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS Nuclear Blues MCA3227 MbC Wally LP Vinyl VG+ Cover VG+ USD $9.99 Buy It Now 20m 15s
GENTLE GIANT Missing Piece ST 11696 MbC Wally LP Vinyl VG+ Cover Shrink Sleeve USD $12.99 Buy It Now 28m 6s
WALLY's GANG 45 Contact Private Latin Disco Funk RaRe 7" EDWIN STARR HEAR IT! USD $24.99 Buy It Now 42m 19s
WILD CHERRY I Love My Music JE35011 MbC Wally Promo LP Vinyl VG+ Cover VG near + USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
J.J. CALE Shades MCA5158 MbC Wally LP Vinyl VG+ near ++ Cover VG+ 1981 Shelter USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Wally Jackson & Sundown Alfalfa 45 Older Men Brucie Records Country USD $8.85 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Wally Fowler Oak Ridge Quartet Dese Bones A-Gwinna Rise Again 78 NM Jericho Rd B USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Wally Fowler Oak Ridge Quartet Dese Bones A-Gwinna Rise Again 78 EX Jericho Rd A USD $6.95 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Li'l Wally And The Harmony Boys ?- What Is This? Polish Polka Twist! USD $1.70 [0 bids]
NELS CLINE Suite Bittersweet Wally Shoup 180 gram vinyl LP Greg Campbell USD $39.97 Buy It Now 2h 53m
The Stranglers Gospel According to The Men In Black LP SQ17189 Shrink "Wally" NM USD $15.50 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Turk Murphy Wally Rose Music of Jelly Roll Morton LP Jazz Blues USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3h
WALLY FOWLER - Hold That Temper Down / If I Had My Life To Live CAPITOL 78rpm USD $7.95 Buy It Now 3h 37m
WALLY YOUNG Let's Keep The Memory VG+(+) 45 RPM USD $2.00 Buy It Now 3h 40m
CHARLES AZNAVOUR Aznavour '83 4228115051Y1 MbC Wally LP Vinyl VG++ Cover VG+ USD $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Wally by Wally - CD - Wounded Bird - WOU8115 - US, 2008 USD $24.50 Buy It Now 4h 44m
Jay Jay Records 1089 Li'l Wally Polish Wedding Album lp,NO HOLE MARKS,VERY RARE! USD $241.95 Buy It Now 5h 26m
UK DECCA SET 394-6 Stereo CATALINI La Wally TEBALDI / CLEVA 3 LP Box Set NM- USD $14.99 [1 bids]
Wally Rose RAGTIME PIANO MASTERPIECES (Columbia B1710) 1953 7" 4-song EP USD $19.39 Buy It Now 5h 35m
WALLY BADAROU - Echoes - CD - **Excellent Condition** USD $29.49 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Wally Fowler Sings Pure Country Gospel with The Stamps 1976 Rapture Records LP USD $4.00 Buy It Now 6h 43m
DR. HOOK Live ST12114 MbC Wally LP Vinyl VG++ Cover Shrink/VG+ near ++ USD $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 35m
Harry Secombe / Wally Stott And His Orchestra ?- Secombe Sings The Classsics USD $2.59 Buy It Now 7h 39m
Cocos Lunch - Wally Wombat Shuffle (C319) USD $10.82 Buy It Now 9h 52m
WALLY WHITE, LETTER FROM VIETNAM, RODEO BOOTS 1970 RARE OZ 7"45rpm EP PIC SLV NM USD $14.44 Buy It Now 12h 57m
WALLY WHITE SINGS SONGS OF OUR PIONEERS 7"x45rpm 1974 RARE OZ RECORD PIC SLV NMC USD $14.44 Buy It Now 13h 3m
WALLY JUMP & THE CRIMINAL ELEMENT: Don't Push Your Luck. 1987 Vinyl 12" LP. Exc. USD $1.95 [0 bids]
Wally Whyton 50 All-Time Children's Favourites 12" LP Hallmark Records HMA 218 USD $10.18 Buy It Now 14h
Wally Whyton's Golden Hour Of Nursery Rhymes (5990) 12" LP Golden Hour 1973 USD $7.84 Buy It Now 14h 11m
Wally Jump Jr & The Criminal Element - Turn Me Loose (Vinyl) USD $11.69 Buy It Now 14h 43m
Stott,wally And His Orchestra - London Souvenir NEW CD USD $10.19 Buy It Now 14h 44m
George Carlin: An Evening with Wally Londo 1975 USD $7.50 Buy It Now 15h 26m
Crosby, Stills & Nash Replay 1980 1st Wally Traugott SD 46026 ULTRASONIC Clean USD $14.00 Buy It Now 16h 9m
Crosby, Stills & Nash Replay '80 1st Wally in Shrink SD 46026 ULTRASONIC Clean USD $17.00 Buy It Now 16h 9m
Catalani: La Wally (2CD's, 1990, BMG Classics) Eva Marton GOOD / FREE SHIPPING USD $8.59 Buy It Now 16h 12m
WALLY WHYTON - 50 All Time Children's Favourites - 1963 UK 50-track vinyl LP USD $12.99 Buy It Now 16h 33m
GEORGE CARLIN An Evening With Wally Londo~TP 1008 USD $5.06 Buy It Now 16h 40m
Polka LP Jay Jay 1027 Vinyl Record Lil Wally Polkas & Waltzes for Everyone VG 33 USD $12.95 Buy It Now 17h 15m
Wally Fowler Golden Gospel Memories Volume 2 LP vinyl 33rpm USD $9.99 Buy It Now 17h 48m
Li'l Wally "There's More To A Wedding" SEALED NM LP USD $9.99 Buy It Now 17h 58m
Li'l Wally Nice With Polish Spice 8 Track Tape USD $5.06 Buy It Now 18h 7m
SEALED lp record Christmas time featuring Lil Wally the polka king SEE ADD USD $7.55 [0 bids]
USD $9.99 Buy It Now
Polkas Canadian Style Wally Mack & His Orchestra GLO GLP-662 VG Vinyl LP USD $4.95 Buy It Now 18h 19m
Wally Fowler And The Oakridge Quartet: I Got Faith / You Must Have 78 - Gospel USD $10.00 Buy It Now 18h 32m
Li'l Wally CD - Nowe Wesole Piosenki Ludowe - (w/the original Johnny's Knocking) USD $10.98 Buy It Now 18h 40m
Catalani: La Wally (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $10.82 Buy It Now 18h 50m
Li'l Wally CD - Polskim Weselu (At A Polish Wedding) - Brand New CD! USD $10.98 Buy It Now 18h 55m
Best of Loren & Wally 105.7 WROR CD USD $12.65 Buy It Now 19h 5m
PLAYTIME WITH WALLY WHYTON. VINYL LP. (17305) USD $1.30 Buy It Now 19h 30m
Wally Fowler's All Nite Singing Gospel Concert Vinyl LP 22E USD $8.99 Buy It Now 19h 42m
78 RPM RECORDS IN AN ALBUM VINTAGE JAY JAY RECORDS L'IL WALLY USD $19.95 Buy It Now 19h 49m
Wally promo LP same self title USD $5.49 Buy It Now 19h 50m
Wally Cox HILLBILLY 45 (RCA Victor 5278) There is a Tavern in the Town/What a USD $11.95 Buy It Now 20h 12m
WALLY STOTT AND HIS ORCHESTRA- Spellbound The Best of CD (Max Jaffa/Kenny Baker) USD $17.13 Buy It Now 20h 21m
GEORGE CARLIN: AN EVENING WITH WALLY LONDO CD USD $12.97 Buy It Now 20h 33m
WALLY LEWIS: Troublemaker USA Newhall Rockabilly Bopper 45 HEAR USD $25.00 Buy It Now 20h 35m
LIL WALLY "THERE'S MORE TO A WEDDING" LP USD $5.00 Buy It Now 20h 44m
La Wally USD $9.41 Buy It Now 20h 59m
Wally Fowler WALLY FOWLER 1006 I'll Be No Stranger There / The Funeral USD $3.99 Buy It Now 21h 2m
WALLY FOWLER, HOW GREAT THOU ART - LP WD CLP-100 USD $8.00 Buy It Now 21h 42m
GEORGE CARLIN----AN EVENING WITH WALLY LONDO --- VINYL ALBUM USD $21.00 Buy It Now 21h 56m
SUSAN MAUGHAN WITH WALLY STOTT & HIS ORCHESTRA - THE EFFERVESCENT PHILIPS 7" EP USD $1.29 [1 bids]
WALLY BISHOP - My Day / Let's Sail To Dreamland - 78rpm - REGAL USD $12.99 Buy It Now 22h 48m
TEBALDI, DEL MONACO - CATALANI la wally DECCA 2xCDs no IFPI full silver NM USD $12.49 Buy It Now 23h 26m
Wally Tax - Bridges Are Burning NEW 2 x CD USD $18.18 Buy It Now 23h 53m
Wally Tax - Tax Tonight ( Lp - Psych Blues Rock ) USD $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
WALLY LOPEZ - TRIBUTE TO ACID HOUSE, A 2-TRACK 12" VINYL, UNDERWATER, H2O034 USD $9.74 Buy It Now 1 day
WALLY MERCER "YELLOW HORNET c/w ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK" CLASSIC R USD $10.39 Buy It Now 1 day
DJ WALLY Genetic Flaw CD late-90's trip-hop USD $1.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES "Got To Get You..." US WALLY MASTERED 7" single w/ Picture sleeve USD $12.98 Buy It Now 1 day
SPECTRUM: Free / The Tale Of Wally Toft 45 (Spain, PS) Rock & Pop USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Wally Schnalle [It Rhymes] (CD 1994 Tree Fort) USD $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Rockin' & Rollin' Smash! Combo Record ?- LP 20114 WALLY DEAN SWEET SMOKE EX/VG- USD $16.89 Buy It Now 1 day
Self-titled album "Wally" vinyl LP Atlantic K 50051 UK 1974 USD $3.12 [0 bids]
LI'L WALLY, Polka Music, Jay Jay # PS - 100, Polish Religous Hymns USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TAX,WALLY-SPRINGTIME IN AMSTERDAM (HOL) (UK IMPORT) VINYL LP NEW USD $23.28 Buy It Now 1 day
Tax, Wally-Love In (UK IMPORT) VINYL NEW USD $26.44 Buy It Now 1 day
LI'L WALLY, Polka Music, Jay Jay # 5004 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Wally Tax - Bridges Are Burning [New CD] UK - Import USD $19.81 Buy It Now 1 day
FOOTLOOSE Soundtrack JS39242 MbC Wally LP Vinyl VG++ Cover VG+ near ++ Sleeve USD $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Anne Murray Dany's Song 1973 Capitol Records ST-11172 EX LP Wally USD $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
LI'L WALLY, Polka Music, Jay Jay # 5097, Miami Beach USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Wally Jump Jr. & The Criminal Element - Turn Me Loose 12" LP VG+ House Breaks USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
WALLY BUCKER / RAGA MUFFIN STYLE / AFRICAN BORDER / 7''/ VG- USD $8.98 [0 bids]
Tattoo (Prodigal 10014) (Wally Bryson of Raspberries, Thom Mooney of Nazz) USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
2 CDs The best of WAYNE KING vol 1 / WALLY STOTT London souvenir USD $9.99 [0 bids]
WALLY HUGHES ConvertIble Car EMBER 1024 M- DJ Listen!! ROCKABILLY USD $110.00 Buy It Now 1 day
George Carlin "An Evening With Wally Londo" COMEDY LP USD $6.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Amman / Purify My Blood 12in Wally Lopez 2000 Vinyl 15190 USD $10.91 Buy It Now 1 day
Amman / Purify My Blood 12in (Wally Lopez - 2000) WEEK014 (ID:15190) USD $11.57 Buy It Now 1 day
VTG 60s Happy Holiday Xmas Vinyl LP SEALED Wally Stott Orchestra StereoMCM RARE USD $195.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CROSBY, STILLS & NASH Allies 80075 1 MBC Wally LP Vinyl VG++ Cover VG++ Sleeve USD $6.98 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy WALLY music online Buy WALLY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

WALLY Wally ratings distribution

WALLY Wally reviews

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
3 stars While much of the sixties were marked by the British invasion of America and all points west and east of Liverpool, there seem to have been some points in time where the influences flowed the other direction, if only in isolated pockets. Wally are one of those rare examples of this phenomenon. Despite being a bunch of guys from Leeds they managed to spend five years in the seventies touring around under management of Brian Lane and sounding something like the Eagles fronted by Jackson Browne with a hillbilly fiddler in tow. That and two albums produced by Whispering Bob Harris and Rick Wakeman should have made them stars somewhere, but apparently things just didn’t work out. Probably because their prog heavyweight connections belied their true talent as a modern-day R&B band.

This music is about as progressive as most of what Wishbone Ash or Ambrosia or America or Firefall or Home ever put out, which is to say not very. But if you are one of those people who has fond memories of the mellow, country soft-rock that filled the AM radio airwaves from about 1973 through 1978 then you will find this stuff pretty appealing. In fact “Sunday Walking Lady” sounds an awful lot like Firefall’s “Cinderella” except with some whiny fiddle for flavor. And “I Just Wanna Be a Cowboy” reminds me of Home’s “Time Passes By”. Not complaining mind you, just a couple of observations.

I think they’re closer to being a folk band than a symphonic one anyway, but I suppose the mellotron, Hammond organ and harmonium manage to fool some people. The one track that stands out a bit is the fourteen minute “To the Urban Man” with its psych sound effects and guitar fuzz layered in with that same persistently whining violin. This is a fun tune to listen to but it is also the only thing on the album that approaches true prog music with the exception of the opening track “The Martyr”, an eight minute mostly instrumental flight of fancy that moves between prog and pop almost seamlessly.

There’s a guy named Paul Middleton playing pedal steel throughout the album which of course makes this sound even more like country music than it would otherwise, although it would otherwise anyway. For fans of this instrument his highpoint is the closing track “Your Own Way” in which he pretty much sets the tone for the whole arrangement with some nice sustains and an overall wispy autumn afternoon feel. Nicely done.

These guys would put out one more album before constant touring and lack of acclaim took their toll and the band broke up. Most of them stayed in music though. Roy Webber played in a band called Trader for a while before turning to a graphic design career. Today he is one half of a part-time mainstream act known as Jackson-Webber. Pete Sage owns a recording studio in Germany, and Paul Middleton became a sort of British version of John Forgerty – hermit-like with rare public appearances before resurfacing a few years ago fronting Paul Middleton & the Angst Band. Keyboardist Nick Glennie- Smith (who replaced Paul Gerrett around the time this album was recorded) was one of a host of musicians who played the Roger Waters Berlin Wall gig. Pete Cosker unfortunately died of drug-related causes in 1990.

These guys aren’t all that memorable for a reason – they didn’t exactly put out innovative or timeless music. But they did what they did quite well, and managed to record an album with a decent sense of continuity and some nice blues steel, which is something I personally enjoy. This is a three star effort in my mind, but be warned that it is not what is traditionally considered progressive and is certainly not symphonic. Prog folk fans will undoubtedly enjoy it though.

peace

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I had never heard of this british band before and upon hearing their debut CD it was easy to understand why. While those guys were good musicians and could write some nice tunes, they laked two critical qualities: personality and a strong sense of direction. They were labeled as symphonic prog and the fact that it was produced by Rick Waleman may lead to some misinterpretations. They are far from being symphonic, at least most of the time.

The album starts very well, with The Martyn a song that reminds of Kansas (more specific, that groupīs The Wall). Fine symphonic piece, with some good keys and violin lines. The next is the very country-ish I Just Wanna Be A Cowboy (the title tells it all!), a song that would fit very well in any Eagles or Poco early LPs. Both tunes are very good, although completely different between themselves in the matter of style. From then on things are not as smooth: What To Do is another try on the country field: ok, but a bit too long. Sunday Walking Lady is more folky and reeks of Wishbone Ash harmonies, but add nothing in its short time.

Then comes their īepicī The Urban Man, an almost 14 minute suite that should be the highlight of the album. But clearly, Wally was not up to the task. The first part is ok, a nice ballad with good harmonies and decent guitar and keyboards lines, but it just drags after a while and the instrumental break after that is not exactly convincing with some boring noises at the end. It seems it would be better if they used 3 different smaller songs instead, I donīt know. the album closes with a typical early 70īs ballad Your Own Way, that seems to mix the styles of bands like Bread and Poco

Conclusion: more interesting than good. If youīre into country rock you might enjoy this album. I certainly donīt recommend it to symphonic prog lovers, because they will be disappointed. Maybe their second album shows some improvement on that field, Iīll have to listen. This one is little more than a country rock CD, even if it was made by british musicians. 2,5 stars.

Review by colorofmoney91
3 stars After discovering this band by a recommendation by a fellow reviewer on this site, toroddfuglesteg, in a forum topic I started regarding my lack of knowledge of any progressive country ever existing. Well, here it is. Wally is symphonic progressive country from the UK. Odd, right? That's what I thought, so I decided to give the debut album a listen.

It's definitely unique, and I actually enjoyed it even though it seems kind of dry.

The music on this album is Genesis/Yes-esque symphonic country, and even though there are some lengthy compositions on this album, the songs don't come across as being very progressive. There are a lot of sentimental country-rock type melodies that sound nice, but not much more than that. There is some electric violin playing throughout this album that really sticks out, but the playing isn't really extraordinary as much as it just adds another country element to the music. The musicianship by everyone else on this album isn't incredibly extraordinary either, but it is simple and soothing music in a very different kind of style.

"The Martyr", to me, sounds like a longer and more countrified version of Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4", and it's a decent song for relaxing, though it sounds kind of melancholic.

"I Just Want to be a Cowboy" is a song about being some kind of pacifist cowboy game playing, and I don't really understand it too much, but it does sound nice. This is a very non- progressive country-folk song in the vein of bands such as America or The Eagles. It's still soothing.

"What to Do" starts off with the dry electric violin that I mentioned earlier. I always want the violin to take off in a Jean-Luc Ponty style, but I'm always let down. The vocal melody in the chorus is very nice, especially the part where "all I need is music..." is sung, but after the first couple of minutes the song gets kind of boring. And the steel lap guitar is annoying, but I've always been an avid hater of that instrument. This song is more of a psychedelic country style.

"Sunday Walking Lady" is another short country-folk song. It's got a nice melody but it ends too soon to actually develop anything else notable.

"To The Urban Man" is the longest track on the album. It starts off slow, electric country ballad but soon picks up momentum after a cue from a brief and ghostly choir sound, still maintaining it's country-rock style. It drones aimlessly for the next couple minutes in what seems to be an ambient-psych attempt, but it just comes off as a boring we-don't-know- what-to-play improv session. After an avant-garde country klang of instrument sounds, the main chorus motif ends the song. I honestly hoped of more from a song that was +13 minutes in length, but whatever; it's a debut album, and lots of times bands need more time to perfect their style.

"Your Own Way" starts off with absolutely beautiful acoustic guitar picking, and soon reveals itself to be another country-folk ballad. Twangy steel guitar solo ensues, not once, but twice.

This is a strange album to listen to. I like it, but at the same time I don't like it. I'd say it's not a very good progressive rock album, but it is miles above any country music I've ever heard. I definitely enjoy it and I'll definitely listen to it in the future for it's novelty qualities. Very soothing and serene most of the time. I'm not sure who this album is aimed towards, but I'd suggest it to anyone looking for something different, or for someone looking for a slightly more progressive version of country, as I was.

Review by VanVanVan
3 stars Well, this is an interesting one. Some have described this group as "Progressive Country," which is an interesting categorization for a British band whose first album was produced by Rick Wakeman. However, I think it's apt enough, as this band takes some decidedly country influences (especially in the vocal delivery and the instrumentation) and creates from them an at-times folky, at-times proggy album.

"The Martyr" kicks things off, and really sets the tone for where this album is going to go. A very laid back track (as are most of the tracks on the album), it features a very nice violin part that reminds one of some of Kansas' softer moments. The lyrics, while certainly not great, are probably at their high point here, as the band will deliver some truly horrendous ones later on.

Speaking of which, the second track is "I Just Wanna Be A Cowboy." Despite the title and the almost painfully twee lyrics, the song really isn't that bad. It's a nice song that combines some country sounds with English folk sensibilities to create an interesting blend. It's value as a prog track is extremely debatable, however.

"What to Do" is next, and is actually one of my favorites on the album. It's a slow, somewhat depressed sounding track, but the combination of country sounds and prog mentality is used to its best effect here, and the result is very good. This song I think really shows that less can be more when it comes to prog: there are no instrumental gymnastics here, but it's well arranged and the resulting ambience is very nice.

"Sunday Walking Lady" is the shortest song on the album, and I think it could have fit in perfectly on the first Crosby, Stills, and Nash album, as the vocal harmonies sound very similar (to my untrained ears at least). It's not remotely prog, but it's pretty much the only uptempo song on the album so it's a good change of pace.

"To The Urban Man" is the obligatory epic, and on my first listen of the album I was curious to see how Wally would take their sound and make a longer track out of it. Well, it appears that their approach was to write another 4 minute song and then meander for 10 minutes. It's pleasant enough, but it doesn't really go anywhere and I can think of much better ways to spend 14 minutes musically.

"Your Own Way" closes the album off in an aurally pleasing but ultimately forgettable way. This is one of those songs that sounds nice enough while you're listening but as soon as it's over you can't remember a single melody or theme from it. It has a passable, suitably laid back guitar solo toward the end, though, so if you're only half listening to the album it's a nice enough closer.

Overall, this is an interesting album, but not much more. There aren't any truly awful songs, but there aren't really any that are much better than "decent" either. The fusion of influences, though, I think makes this album charming enough to warrant a listen or two.

2.5/5, rounded up

Review by GruvanDahlman
COLLABORATOR Heavy Prog Team
3 stars If there ever existed a genre known as "soft prog" I think Wally would be qualified as such. By "soft" I mean simply that there more emphasis on melody and accessibility rather than being overly complex. Nothing wrong with that. There are several bands qualifying as such. Supertramp, for instance. It is by no means an act of dislike from my part labeling Wally (et al) as soft proggers.

Wallys first and selftitled album is a mixed bag of songs and it is not always good. Diversity is one of prog's great strengths but in this case it works against them, just as with Baby Whale sometimes brilliant album. The good parts of Wally is made up of folk tinged progressive rock with keyboards and violin playing a large role. The not so good parts are west coast, American styled country-ish stuff which really does not appeal to me. (I love country and American bands but to me it gets confusing when an otherwise british sounding folk-symphonic prog album goes west.)

The first track, "The Martyr", is by far the best track. Dramatic, mellow yet biting it tells the story of Joan of Arc and starts off ever so nice with ye olde harpsichord ( I think) and heads straight into electric violin taking the lead. The vocals (not the harmonies!) are a bit weak but overall very nice.

"I just wanna be a cowboy" is one of those country-tinged songs which does nothing for me. "What to do" is a very nice ballad-y song, very mellow and gentle. Alongside "The Martyr" this is the best track. It holds a very spacious and flowing ambience. Really nice stuff.

"Sunday walking lady" is another of those confusing tracks. On one hand I recall british folk at it's best but then it turns into americana. I cannot feel love for this track. It is, however, the next track that may be the most impressive one, "To the urban man". Over 13 minutes long it holds several sections. Similar in places to "The martyr" it still differs. It is not the most wonderful epic you will hear but it is nice enough. A bit country-ish in places aswell. The ending "Your own way" is a beautiful piece, perfectly suited as the finish of this album. A bit too CSNY for me, though.

Overall, as a conclusion, I find only two songs to be really good: "The martyr" and "What to do". The other tracks are more in the vein of american folk-rock like CSN(Y), Gram Parsons or The Byrds. There is really no fault in that. I like that kind of music alot but not when mixed like this, with british folk and symphonic prog. And to be frank, the material on this disc is not really much to gossip about. In "The martyr" Wally makes a bold-ish statement and in that lies their legacy as far as this album goes. The album is well played and well produced but that is it. Sorry Wally. I cannot give you more than three (hesitant) stars. "The martyr" and "What to do" picks up the rating somewhat, as it otherwise would have left me no option but to rate it slightly lower.

3 stars I have never heard about or any music which deserve to be called symphonic country...... before I heard this album. Maybe that is a bit unfair to brand it symphonic country & western. But it is tempting when the vocalist proclaim he want to be a cowboy. The music is more related to west coast ... (read more)

Report this review (#244322) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Monday, October 12, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of WALLY "Wally"