ONDE, QUANDO, COMO, PORQUÊ, CANTAMOS PESSOAS VIVAS

Essential: a masterpiece of
progressive rock music

Buy QUARTETO 1111 Music
Studio Album, released in 1974

1. Onde, Quando, Como, Porquê, Cantamos Pessoas Vivas - Part 1 (13:58)
2. Onde, Quando, Como, Porquê, Cantamos Pessoas Vivas - Part 2 (16:52)

Search QUARTETO 1111 Onde, Quando, Como, Porquê, Cantamos Pessoas Vivas lyrics

- Mike Sergeant / guitar
- Tó Zé Brito / bass guitar

LP: Decca/VC, 1974
CD: Som Livre/Valentim de Carvalho, 2008

Thanks to Kotro for the addition
and to Kotro for the last updates

QUARTETO 1111 MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy QUARTETO 1111 Onde, Quando, Como, Porquê, Cantamos Pessoas Vivas Music

Singles and EPsSingles and EPs
World Psychedelia
Onde, Quando, Como, Porque, Cantamos Pessoas Vivas [Vinyl]Onde, Quando, Como, Porque, Cantamos Pessoas Vivas [Vinyl]
Guerssen Records 2010
Vinyl$22.41

More places to buy QUARTETO 1111 music online Buy QUARTETO 1111 & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for QUARTETO 1111 DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

QUARTETO 1111 Onde, Quando, Como, Porquê, Cantamos Pessoas Vivas ratings distribution

QUARTETO 1111 Onde, Quando, Como, Porquê, Cantamos Pessoas Vivas reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
4 stars

FIRST REVIEW OF THIS ALBUM

As a Tronmaniac it was inevitable that one day I would stumble upon the album 10.000 Anos Depois Entre Vénus E Marte by singer and keyboard player José Cid, this is Mellotron Heaven on Earth! Then I discovered that José Cid once joined the Portuguese five piece band Quarteto 1111 and from that moment I was very determined to get an album. Thanks to a Portuguese PA friend (you know who you are) I got a copy and was finally able to listen to this highly acclaimed and most progressive Portuguese progrock effort.

Their third LP Onde, Quando, Como, Porquê, Cantamos Pessoas Vivas is from 1974 (in 2008 released on CD) and sounds typically late Sixties/early Seventies with hints from The Moody Blues (melodic, accessible, lots of Mellotron) but it also could have been a Seventies Italian progrock album (in the vein of I Dik Dik, Celeste or Apotheosi), especially because of the passionate vocals, the contrast between the mellow parts (warm vocals, acoustic guitar, flute-Mellotron section) and heavy or bombastic moments (violin-Mellotron section, Minimoog flights and fiery guitar work) and the intense atmospheres and emotional outbursts. And how about José Cid is role? Well, from the very first second it's Mellotron Heaven.

1. Onde, Quando, Como, Porquê, Cantamos Pessoas Vivas - Part 1 (13:58) : The intro delivers the violin-Mellotron section (with hints from Karelia by Anekdoten), then a slow rhythm featuring lush Mellotron, Minimoog flights and emotional vocals, followed by the distinctive flute-Mellotron (evoking Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles), blended with Minimoog runs, delicate Grand piano work and wonderful vocals (very expressive but not theatrical or screamy). The moods shift from mellow and slow rhythms to mid-tempo (heavy guitar play) and bombastic eruptions. The final part contains an unique combination of a fiery guitar solo, accompanied by lush violin-Mellotron, very compelling!

2. Onde, Quando, Como, Porquê, Cantamos Pessoas Vivas - Part 2 (16:52) : The second track starts with the compelling end of the first composition featuring expressive vocals and powerful drums and again lush violin-Mellotron. Then a dreamy part with flute-Mellotron, acoustic rhythm guitar and warm vocals, gradually turning into a slow rhythm with emotional vocals, Grand piano, Moog and Mellotron, culminating into again a very compelling, more bombastic final part with all those vintage keyboards in full splendor, goose bumps!

DON'T MISS THIS MELLOTRON DRENCHED PORTUGUESE PROGROCK CLASSIC !

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#172463) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 29, 2008

4 stars 4.5 stars. This really is essential for those who love the mellotron. I'm not surprised that Eric Neuteboom has already reviewed this considering his love affair with "the tron". The star of this Portugeuse band is Jose Cid who sings and plays the beloved mellotron. I must say this music reminded me alot of the romantic Italian music during the quieter sections. There are also some aggressive moments where the drums, guitar vocals let loose. This really is one complete song that is divided into two parts because of course it was released on LP back in 1974. The cd version I have has no break between the two parts, it's one long 31 minute suite.

The mellotron comes in almost immediately joined by drums. Just a gorgeous sound. Synths a minute in while the mellotron continues to flow in waves. The vocals 1 1/2 minutes in sound great,quite passionate. A change 2 minutes in as piano arrives and with it a pastoral mood. Reserved vocals and mellotron lead the way. Strummed guitar, drums and synths all sound fantastic 6 minutes in followed by a mellotron flood. The song continues to change in tempo and mood. The tempo picks up 11 1/2 minutes in with some scorching guitar. Suddenly a calm with spoken words before the passionate vocals return as the song kicks back into gear. The mellotron, guitar and drums are outstanding 15 minutes in as it blends into "Part 2".

Aggressive vocals, blistering guitar and frantic drumming follows. Nice. This continues for a minute then it mellows out with reserved vocals, acoustic guitar and mellotron. A change 5 minute in as we get a fabulous mellotron / drum passage,not to mention the vocals. Piano before 8 minutes as mellotron and drums join in as themes are repeated. Tender vocals join in and then synths.

This is a mellotron feast ! This might be the best album ever to come out of Portugal. A must have.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#183551) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 25, 2008

Review by memowakeman
4 stars One of the best albums i discovered this year!

I remember when Quarteto 1111 was being suggested for addition and i thought that my knowledge about portuguese music was very limited (is, actually) anyway i was interested in this band and by chance i found their third release called Onde, Quando, Como, Porque, Cantamos Pessoas Vivas which was released in 1974 and if im not wrong was the last studio album of the band. My previous experience with portuguese prog rock was that highly acclaimed Jose Cid album, and oh surprise, Jose Cid playde in Quarteto 1111, so that was an extra point of interest to me.

This album is actually very short, it's lenght reaches only 30 minutes but which in my opinion are 30 well used minutes, the music is always contstant and maintain us interested in what is next. This record is divided in two songs with the same name of the album, the only difference would be the parte 1 and parte 2 thing.

Parte 1 starts with a great mellotron sound, and the vocals of Jose Cid inviting us to stay tuned since it sound with power and delicacy at the same time. The song has several changes but all of them are excellent planned, the music sometimes sounds aggressive and sometimes very pastoral, the acoustic guitars and drumming along with the almost predominant mellotron sound makes this really interesting, at the half of the song we will listen to some slower passages but it always return to the constant and beautiful musical sound produced, after the eleventh minute we will listen to another sudden change which is probably the most aggressive of them all, with a very nice guitar solo and a faster sound but wait, it makes a sudden stop and some spoken word enter, just to come back to that faster sound, the mellotron is simply exciting and the blend of symphonic pastoral and aggressive sound is simply awesome, i also think that the vocals of Cid play a main role here there are some kind of screams he does and soun very good, great music and what a powerful ending, pure mellotron bliss!

Parte 2 basically follows the first part as it would be just one song, i am not sure but i believe this is actually a one song album, but cut in two parts due to the LP issue, side A and B i mean. This part has also several changes the first one is after one minute, when it slows down, acoustic guitar appears, a melodic vocal style and there will always be a keyboard sound as background, sometimes mellotron, sometimes moog, etc. This part of side 2 has a bit more folkish and pastoral moments than the first one i think, there are no weak moments, it is a whole that always sounds fresh and interesting, i didn't find a boring minute, all is compact and enjoyable and actually i have no complaints for any musician, all of them play their instruments very well, and all the changes they did are in the right moment, it ends very emotional, with some high vocal notes that may cause you goosebumps, what a great end and a great album.

In general, pastoral music sometimes folkish, but very symphonic after all, mellotron heaven and a great melodic voice style, a beautiful album, which does not reach the 5 star level, but without a doubt is highly recommendable to any prog lover, especially for those ones who love mellotron, if someday is decided to add that .5 rating, i would give this a 4.5 one.

4 stars! Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#194930) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Review by Prog-Brazil
4 stars This CD was released in 2008 by the label Do tempo do vinil in Portugal and a friend (Nuno) sent me as a gift from there. This edition brings photos, lyrics and an interview with the members of Quarteto 1111. The subject of Onde, Quando, Como, Porquê, Cantamos Pessoas Vivas (Where, When, How, Why, We Sing Living People) is the end of the dictatorship and the beginning of democracy in Portugal. Cantamos Pessoas Vivas is inspired in a poem by José Jorge Letria. According to Cid in his interview, this poem is dedicated to people that came to light and resuscitated in that beginning of democracy. This album is dedicated to mellotron lovers, like me, but it has also many acoustic passages. Cid thinks this album is more original than 10.000 anos entre Venus e Marte, that is, as he says, in the "trail" of English symphonic. In fact, I think the subject of this album more interesting than 10.000 anos..., but I still prefer the instrumental of that Cid album. Anyway, if you love symphonic prog with melloton and intelligent lyrics, you need get this one. It's the best album of Quarteto 1111 with José Cid.

Send comments to Prog-Brazil (BETA) | Report this review (#207742) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 19, 2009

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
4 stars Listen up RPI fetishists!

This album might feature the beautiful Portuguese language, but it shares a lot of similarities with the symphonic Italian scene. From the classical piano playing, that emulates the same sort of feel you get from Banco - the dramatic and slightly operatic touch that sounds so bittersweet, - to the lush and creamy surroundings here, this album just might be the equivalent of pouring maple syrup into your ears.

I personally know of Jose Cid from a record he did called 10.000 anos, which in all fairness is pretty close in sound to this album, if it wasn´t for one thing: It´s from 78 and it occasionally shows signs of disco and funk, - and especially the last number the mini-epic Vida is momentarily marred by this tendency. Onde, Quando... however, has that 70s sound, that I absolutely adore - those natural timbres of the instruments and a love for analog equipment, which emanate a warm, vibrant and sensual aura.

I hear no jarring bits - no scenes where the instruments assault each other and propel the song into some freaky semi jazz cacophony, like many other artists did at the time - especially when they were doing long pieces. Yes, King Crimson, Genesis all did this to some extent (some more successfully than others) and hell even Floyd went a little mad on Atom Heart Mother, much credited to Ron Geesin. Here however, there are no distracting and discordant aspirations. It´s pretty much all smooth and silky like flying a condor covered in vaseline, apart from a few rocking climaxes, where a seldomly heard electric guitar sweeps across the symphonics like a wild firestorm. These moments really feel like a healthy dosage of salt and pepper to the dish - transforming what could have been mildly interesting - to a masterly spiced serving from the Portuguese riviera.

The album is comprised of 2 long tracks, that share a red thread musically, but as I found out also lyrically. The album evolves around the newly formed freedom - emerging from the rubble of the 1974 revolution in Portugal. Now I can´t tell what Jose Cid is singing, but I can feel him right down in my toes no matter the lingo. He has a very original voice that flows from this raw and big booming lumberjack voice - to fragile and tender phrasings that at times invoke the balladry side of Italian singer Lucio Battisti.

His biggest treat is however the way he plays those synths, and to tell you how they make me feel, and how I think they sound like - fills my head with all kinds of weird images, but none really depicting anything resembling a guy playing keys... Sounds to me like cold margarine hitting a hot frying pan - oozing, melting, covering everything in some sticky coatings. - Or maybe they sound a little bit like hot glue running down surfaces(Don´t ask). Flowing underneath and over this delicious liquid margarine - and pretty much all over the place, are the mellotrons, which sound like gospel choirs consisting only of seabirds. This record should be paradise to the mellotron lovers out there!

To me it feels like the drums together with the bass guitar sums up perfectly the enormous differences between 10.000 anos and this album. Gone is the late 70s production - and everything is much more vivid and natural. The rhythm section here is basically the rock quotient of the band. They cook up an uncanny rock n´ roll element to the music, and are essentially the driving forces of a record, that otherwise would have sounded completely different, and perhaps all too ethereal and pastoral. It´s simple and tight, and covered in a very dry sound to boot - adding a somewhat wooden texture to both the bass and drums. They feel natural and very much in tune with what the album is all about soundwise: Large sonic sculptures that open up like seedlings to the sun - which on this particular release is substituted with the synthesizer, but believe you me, when I tell you that there´s infinite warmth to be found in Quarteto 1111´s third and final album. This album is very much about mixing things up - creating a balance between the high soaring pompous orchestrations to the earthy acoustic guitars that dominate both pieces. Just like the rhythm section, they too work as the earthy and rocking part of the sound - balancing things out nicely.

This is one of those records that immediately feel welcoming and strong, -well at least to me that is. I found it instantly wonderful - and my appreciation has only been rekindled by subsequent listenings. It´s not a grower but a "confirmer" so to speak...

So welcome to this floating and swirling universe, that sounds like it´s wearing wings, and in fact is airborne - basking overhead on gentle mellotron winds. If you´re into the symphonic genre or RPI, then do yourself a favor and listen to this gem - it is a truly wonderful record!

One of its greatest achievements is that, what just as well could have ended up as an oversweetened, buttery and all too creamy affair, - in stead sounds like the cream has been tapped freshly right from the sacred cow´s teat. Uhhhmm fresh and warm...

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#542652) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 05, 2011

5 stars Composed Between April and May of 1974, this album talks about the fall of the dictatorship in Portugal That Ruled For 41 years, and the years that would follow. The Lyrics are based in a poem From José Jorge Letria. In This Symphonic Prog Album, The Mellotron Is The Most Predominant Instrument. It ... (read more)

Report this review (#880895) | Posted by Dário Soares | Sunday, December 23, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars A Mellotron classic! I see this album as, to the mellotron, the same as Thick as a Brick to the flute in rock. A single song with developments, recapitulations, changes, everything that a prog epic deserves, and, most of all, a magnificent mellotron from beginning to end. Both the standard st ... (read more)

Report this review (#299076) | Posted by Evandro Martini | Monday, September 13, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Probably one of the best cd in my collection of symphonic prog. Full of 70's typical keyboards (including a lot of mellotron of course) but as well few really welcome piano part. The guitar is discreet but does its job very well when needed. The voice of Jose Cid is great and suit the music all ... (read more)

Report this review (#297896) | Posted by Theriver | Tuesday, September 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I'm just going to focus my review to the lyrics, since i couln't add anything new to these other reviews, it's a great album, the best in Portugal, along with 10.000 anos by José Cid, and Mistérios e Maravilhas and Humanoid by Tantra, although these two last are not at the same level. While 1 ... (read more)

Report this review (#259365) | Posted by pedrosemedo | Monday, January 04, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars So along our path in Progressive Rock, there are these hidden gems that no matter how hard you try to uncover, you just can't. Some had a very limited pressing, some were regarded as rubbish back in the day, others were simply forgotten. Thankfully, ever since the new century started, people star ... (read more)

Report this review (#185046) | Posted by Lopson | Wednesday, October 08, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of QUARTETO 1111 "Onde, Quando, Como, Porquê, Cantamos Pessoas Vivas"