SHAZAM

rock music collection

Buy THE MOVE Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Hello Susie (4:51)
2. Beautiful Daughter (2:51)
3. Cherry Blossom Clinic Revisited (7:40)
4. Fields of People (10:58)
5. Don't Make My Baby Blue (6:02)
6. The Last Thing On My Mind (7:36)

7. So You Want To Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star (3:00)*

- Roy Wood / guitars, vocals
- Carl Wayne / vocals
- Rick Price / bass
- Bev Bevan / drums

Remastered by Repertoire Records in 1998 with 9 bonus tracks noted with * in track listing.

Thanks to chicapah for the addition

THE MOVE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE MOVE Shazam Music

Parlophone 2005
ShazamShazam
Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Repertoire 1998
CLIFF RICHARD & THE SHADOWS- Move it 3-CD (NEW 2011) Best of Early Years Hits US $11.11 Buy It Now 33m 5s
THE MOVE Fire Brigade Ex MFP 1970s UK LP US $10.11 Buy It Now 37m 11s
HANOI ROCKS TWO STEPS FROM THE MOVE JAPAN US $39.99 Buy It Now 39m 42s
Captain & Tennille(Vinyl LP)Make Your Move-Casablanca-CAL 2060-UK-Ex/NM US $15.18 Buy It Now 42m 12s
The Move(7" Vinyl)Something-Regal-RZ 3015-UK-Ex/VG US $25.31 Buy It Now 43m 4s
Olivia Newton-John "Make A Move On Me" Great Oz 7" US $5.58 Buy It Now 47m 13s
Harvey feat Tor - Get up & move - Cd single Promo US $4.37 Buy It Now 49m 13s
CAPTAIN & TENNILLE 'MAKE YOUR MOVE' UK LP US $11.80 Buy It Now 52m 9s
SURF- THE CHANTAYS "PIPELINE/MOVE IT" 1963 DOT 45 RPM US $5.99 [1 bids]
53m 20s
Phyllis Nelson- Move Closer 7" US $6.75 Buy It Now 53m 20s
SASH feat. Shannon Move Mania 6 Trk Promo CD Single Vidisco Portugal Promotional US $5.00 [0 bids]
PRIMAL SCREAM If They Move Kill Em CD MBV LOW 3.00 US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
THE MOVE 'THE MOVE' UK LP US $11.80 Buy It Now 1h 6m
VARIOUS 'THE WORLD OF HITS VOL 2' UK LP THEM MOVE US $15.18 Buy It Now 1h 7m
FRANKENREITER,DONOVAN-MOVE BY YOURSELF (LTD) (CVNL) VINYL LP NEW US $14.51 Buy It Now 1h 8m
LIGHT MUSIC ON THE MOVE / V...-LIGHT MUSIC ON THE MOVE / VARIOUS CD NEW US $19.25 Buy It Now 1h 8m
RICHARD CLIFF - MOVE IT - SROLLCD840 US $10.70 Buy It Now 1h 13m
VERBAL KENT - MOVE WITH THE WALLS - GVL0092 US $18.88 Buy It Now 1h 15m
KLOQ - Move Forward - CD US $24.90 Buy It Now 1h 32m
GEORGE THOROGOOD Move It On Over 1978 ROUNDER CLASSIC ROCK LP US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 33m
1988 Promo MARTIKA I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE Columbia 45 RPM vinyl Record US $6.00 [0 bids]
MARTIKA - I Feel The Earth Move - Ex Con 7" Single US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h 35m
PIKACHU THE MOVE 10tH MUSIC COLLECTION Japan CD+DVD ZMCP-3528 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Aaron Greer Band: Agents of Change - May Your Glory Move, Jesus (CD, STR, AM) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Move to Bremerton [Single] by MxPx CD, Sep-1996 US $2.49 Buy It Now 1h 42m
7 ' ROY ORBISON '' WINDSURFER/MOVE ON DOWN THE LINE '' GERMANY US $16.99 [0 bids]
PROMO - BOBBY BARE "GUESS I'LL MOVE ON DOWN THE LINE / HOMESICK" 45 rpm RCA US $7.99 [0 bids]
Jimmie & Leon Short 78rpm Decca #46077 Kentucky b/w Move It On Over US $19.99 [0 bids]
DOMJUAN feat FULVIO TOMAINO - Just Move - CD single US $12.73 Buy It Now 1h 48m
The Vast Majority 45 "Take It/ Move It"- VG++ US $5.24 Buy It Now 1h 54m
ROBOKOP feat JULIA - We Move At Midnight EP - 12" US $16.53 Buy It Now 1h 57m
STAR, Tenna/RAFEELYA/CLAIRE ANGEL - Good God (Dub Move Riddim) - 7" US $10.47 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Move Fire Brigade-Walk Upon The Water Original REGAL ZONOPHONE 7" US $17.99 [0 bids]
THE STRUMBELLAS - WE STILL MOVE ON DANCE FLOORS (836766008048) - NEW CD US $12.09 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Phyllis Nelson "Move Closer" Great Oz PS 7" US $5.58 Buy It Now 2h 29m
BEN LIEBRAND " MOVE TO THE BIGBAND " 7" SINGLE IN PIC SLEEVE EX/EX 1990 US $3.36 Buy It Now 2h 30m
LP THE MOVE '' THE GREATESTS HITS VOL.1 '' ENGLAND US $5.49 [0 bids]
THE SHAMEN ~ MOVE ANY MOUNTAIN - PROGEN 91 12" VINYL 52TP12 1991 4 TRACKS/MIXES! US $11.80 Buy It Now 2h 36m
REEL 2 REAL & THE MAD STUNTMAN Go On Move CD ERICK MORILLO JUDGE JULES 1994 MINT US $6.06 Buy It Now 2h 36m
NAZARETH Move Me Double 180gm Orange Vinyl LP 2014 NEW & SEALED US $31.99 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Modern Romance(7" Vinyl)Move On-RCA-RCA 454-UK-Ex/NM US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Various(Vinyl LP)Move Closer-CBS-MOOD 1-VG/VG US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 45m
George Thorogood and The Destoyers Move It On Over US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 54m
HOWARD, Tevo - Move (mixes) - 12" US $19.16 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Keith Richads "You Don't Move Me" 12" Single PROMO US $4.95 [1 bids]
3h
DONNA FARGO - ON THE MOVE US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
JOE THOMAS MAKE YOUR MOVE 12" MINT US $8.42 Buy It Now 3h 17m
CD Move Somethin' Talib Kweli & Hi Tek Explicit Lyrics, Single US $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Eurogroove Feat. Final Touch - Move Your Body Baby JAPAN 3"CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
Nick Kamen Move Until We Fly Cd Out of Print US $16.99 Buy It Now 3h 27m
HANOI ROCKS Two Steps from The Move JAPAN MINI LP CD K2HD SEALED US $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 29m
The Grass Roots LP, Move Along, Dunhill DSX 50112, VG++, 1972 US $5.95 Buy It Now 3h 35m
THAT PETROL EMOTION-GENIUS MOVE 2 TRK-AUTOGRAPHED-VIRGIN VST 1022 UK VG+/VG+ 12" US $24.98 Buy It Now 3h 45m
CATHY DENNIS-move to this-POP-soul-NORWICH,U.K.-ss tape US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 46m
THE CHANTAY'S MOVE IT/PIPELINE DOT 45 145 CLASSICSURFSOUNDFROMALONGTIMEAGO ! US $11.00 Buy It Now 3h 52m
EARTH WIND & FIRE Illumination 2005 CD The Way You Move, Pure Gold US $0.99 [0 bids]
CURTIS MAYFIELD - Move On Up - CASSETTE TAPE Made In England 306534 US $7.99 [0 bids]
BOYS THE - YOU BETTER MOVE ON 7" SPAIN ORIG 1980 PUNK RARE US $35.00 Buy It Now 4h 8m
Harlequin - One False Move - CANDY128 US $23.38 Buy It Now 4h 17m
NEW "Cedille On The Move" by David Ying, Joshua Rubin, Rachel Barton Pine (CD,. US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 17m
CD Smoove on the Move J Dee US $4.00 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Duels - The Barbarians Move in - TIFD0011CD US $11.46 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Kon Kan- Move To Move LP US $10.55 Buy It Now 4h 23m
The Move of Life by Windsor Riley (CD, Music West) US $2.00 Buy It Now 4h 27m
BILL HALEY AND HIS COMETS, DECCA 9-30681, "LEAN JEAN/DON'T NOBODY MOVE" US $3.52 [0 bids]
BILL HALEY & COMETS....LEAN JEAN & DON'T NOBODY MOVE..1958...NICE...CAN...HEAR US $4.99 [1 bids]
Lost Prophets - Wake Up (Make A Move) - Music CD US $8.02 Buy It Now 4h 39m
El General - Move It Up 2 Versions CD Single Mexican Promo US $4.99 [0 bids]
DANIELE ALEXANDER - First Move - Mint LP Record US $15.18 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Move Along by All-American Rejects (The) (CD, Jul-2005, Interscope (USA)) US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 50m
LIGHTNIN HOPKINS ~ Wig Wearing Woman/Move On Out Part 2 ~ promo 45 ~ JEWEL 796 US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 51m
Hanoi Rocks - Two Steps From The Move - Epic 1984 - OOP - NM US $9.00 Buy It Now 4h 53m
HANOI ROCKS TWO STEPS FROM THE MOVE US $4.50 [0 bids]
GENE FARROW Move Your Body 7" Single Vinyl Record 45rpm Magnet 1977 EX US $10.11 Buy It Now 5h 3m
James Gilstrap: Move Me [Unplayed Copy] US $8.97 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Reimann,Renate Ph.D. - Move Beyond Procrastination & Get Things Done! [CD New] US $13.24 Buy It Now 5h 12m
SASH!-feat SHANNON-MOVE MANIA-RARE 6 TRK EU DJ REMIX PROMO CD SINGLE-EURO HOUSE US $3.00 [0 bids]
Elation - Time To Move EP - Die Hard 3 - 1994 #348339 US $11.80 Buy It Now 5h 25m
YOUNG MC-BUST A MOVE-RARE 1 TRACK U.S. DJ PROMO CD SINGLE-1989-HIP HOP-CCD105 US $3.00 [0 bids]
TRAVIS TRITT+GEORGE THOROGOOD-MOVE IT ON OVER-PROMO CD-KING OF THE HILL SINGERS US $3.00 [0 bids]
The Move - Brontosaurus 1970 7" Regal Zonophone RZ 3026 US $5.91 Buy It Now 5h 25m
The Move - Night of Fear 1966 7" Deram DM 109 US $5.91 Buy It Now 5h 25m
Move In Time - Code 4, BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED CD (1995 Power Alliance) US $6.95 Buy It Now 5h 27m
Move by Yourself [Single] [Single] by Donavon Frankenreiter (CD, Jun-2006,... US $1.99 [0 bids]
CATHY DENNIS,move to this,2004,NILE ROGERS,d-mob,TAPE US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 30m
The Move - Wild tiger woman / Something PS 7 / 45 Dutch original US $29.99 Buy It Now 5h 31m
CHUCK HOWARD "DON'T LET THEM MOVE" 45 RPM US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 33m
MOBY "MOVE" 6TRX. 1993 UNPLAYED RADIO STATION MUSIC LIBRARY CD EXCELLENT COND. US $2.49 [0 bids]
Mugzy's Move by Royal Crown Revue (CD, Jun-1996, Warner Bros.) US $5.99 [0 bids]
John Mayall 2 Discs, sealed box Room to Move (1969-1974) US $40.00 [0 bids]
GENE & EUNICE - MOVE IT OVER BABY // THIS IS MY STORY - ALADDIN 3282 VG SOUL US $3.50 Buy It Now 5h 38m
DEL SHANNON*MOVE IT ON OVER*MOD*DANCER*LISTEN TO IT US $37.33 [5 bids]
Bananarama-Move in my direction-2005 cd single US $5.05 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Atomic Grater Movin 12" MOVE001 Vinyl US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 49m
George Thorogood & the Destroyers - Move It On Over Vynil US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Fashion-Love Shadow plus Move on-2 x 12"- Free UK post US $12.66 Buy It Now 5h 53m
Cut and Move by Day of Fire (CD, Jun-2006, Essential Records (UK)) US $7.00 Buy It Now 5h 56m
Ruby Turner Move On 2 Track Promo CD US $1.67 [1 bids]
SEALED LP Sandler and Young " On The Move " Capitol Records #ST 2686 US $6.00 Buy It Now 5h 59m
MARTIKA "I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 6h

More places to buy THE MOVE music online Buy THE MOVE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE MOVE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE MOVE Shazam ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(15%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(37%)

THE MOVE Shazam reviews

Review by Chicapah
3 stars I'm so glad this group is included on ProgArchives but, at the same time, they pose a dilemma for me as a reviewer. While I wholeheartedly agree that they belong in the proto-prog bunch, I feel that many listeners might find that categorization to be a stretch. The fact that they were (and are still) relatively unknown in the U.S. presents a sizeable obstacle and the fact that their albums were such a hodgepodge of unrelated styles is yet another. I'll just say their appeal is an acquired taste and leave it at that.

This record in particular holds a special place in my heart because I discovered it shortly after I'd moved out of mom & dad's house, gotten my own apartment and started my life as a free-wheelin' college boy. In 1970 I spent more time in the campus record store than I did in class, having meaningful conversations/arguments about the state of music with the hippie owner and poring over the latest issue of Rolling Stone (Back then it was a respected, viable source of info about rock & roll. Now it's about as relevant as the National Enquirer). It was a glowing review in that rag that made me shell out my meager entertainment funds for this LP and it instantly met my #1 criteria the minute I got it on my turntable: The Move didn't sound like any band I'd ever heard in my life. They were, in a word, different, and that's what I couldn't get enough of.

Their repeated success on the British pop charts, while admirable, hadn't fulfilled their artistic souls. "Shazam" was a drastic departure from that constricting hit single mindset. It's a somewhat schizophrenic and, at times, progressive journey into the realm of extended album cuts. The first track, the rude "Hello Susie," has a big, proggy intro that snaps your brain to attention immediately before it levels out into a straight-ahead rocker that features Rick Price's thick bass guitar tone and Roy Wood's stacked 12-string electric guitars. Whereas most English singers of that era went out of their way to downplay their indigenous accent and sound "American," Roy's gritty native tongue comes barging through unhindered and I applaud him for letting it all hang out. It puts a raw but genuine edge on the song. The flanged harmonies on the chorus belie their psychedelic roots but Bev Bevan's weird drum fills on the accented breaks throw things for a curve. While at first I thought he was just being odd for odd's sake, I soon realized that BB is truly one of the worst drummers on the planet and the logic-defying Achilles heel of not only this group but ELO, as well. (Unfortunately, it's something I obviously have to accept about the band but I'll never, ever understand why he lasted.)

Between the first number and the second you are introduced to the most unusual aspect of this album that has always delighted and intrigued me. They interject spontaneous man-on-the-street interviews that have nothing to do with the music being presented and these unrehearsed snippets lend a levity to the proceedings that is, to my knowledge, totally unique. (The Who scattered faux radio spots on their "Sell Out" LP but these vignettes are something else entirely.) "Beautiful Daughter" is a clever, short ditty with deep acoustic guitars and a string quartet that shines a spotlight on lead vocalist Carl Wayne as he does his best Paul McCartney imitation. Clocking in at less than 3 minutes, it's over before you know it and you're on to the proggiest tune on the album, the incredible "Cherry Blossom Clinic Revisited." After a hilarious spoken-word introduction the group explodes into crisp, layered guitars and a gigantic bass sound as Wayne sings about life in a loony bin. There's never a dull musical moment and the straw-hat barbershop quartet refrain of "lock me in and throw the key away." fits perfectly at the end of every chorus. But it's in the instrumental section that things get really intriguing as they incorporate themes from Bach, Dukas and Tchaikovsky into the brilliantly arranged segment, culminating in a deranged vocal interpretation of one of Johann Sebastian's most recognizable melodies as warbled by a choir of inmates from the asylum. As humorous as it is, I'm still amazed to this day by the high level of musicianship displayed throughout this piece, especially by Wood on the guitars. (By the way, there's not a keyboard to be heard on "Shazam.")

The eleven-minute "Fields of People" is a great example of good news/bad news. First the good. It's a well-written, catchy song that rocks with tight, dense harmonies and slick, clean 12-string guitar work from Roy. What distinguishes it from most every tune I've ever heard, though, is the off-the-cuff spoken tomfoolery going on in and around Wayne's vocal track. Taking themselves too seriously was not one of this band's problems and the eclectic, carefree "why the Hell not?" nature of it all gives the tune a charm that I find irresistible. It's as if they weren't about to let cutting an album get in the way of having a bit of fun. You gotta hear it to believe it. The bad news is that, at about halfway through the number, they segue to a long, ridiculously overindulgent, amateurishly performed, sitar-driven Indian pseudo-raga that should have faded out after about 30 seconds. Instead it drones on. And on. And on. Gradually speeding up to go absolutely nowhere. It has no redeeming qualities at all so consider yourself forewarned and prepared to utilize the "skip" button. (In the days of vinyl I used to have to get up, physically lift the needle and skip over this noisy nonsense as if it was some unexplained ritual required to make it through the LP.)

Their heavy-handed, hard rock version of "Don't Make My Baby Blue" proves beyond a doubt that The Move was no longer some lightweight pop outfit. Here they are a supercharged power trio roaring behind Carl's strong, Paul Rodgers-like vocal with Wood sounding like he's pumping a Les Paul through five stacks of Marshall amplifiers set on 11 and peeling the paint off the studio ceiling. Self-restraint was not one of this group's strong points, however, and the out-of-control wah-wah guitar solo gets to be a bit much in the middle. The final tune is a remake of the Tom Paxton folk classic, "The Last Thing on My Mind," where Roy builds a wall of sound with ringing acoustic and 12 string guitars behind Wayne's cabaret-style crooning. But just when you think it's nothing more than a then-popular standard done up big time, Wood takes you on a psychedelic detour with swirling guitar lines and backwards masking that's as trippy as Pink Floyd on peyote. I won't call it great, but it's definitely interesting and memorable.

The remastered version includes 9 cover songs recorded live from the stage of the famous Marquee Club circa 1968 that only goes to show that The Move did their finest work in the confines of the studio. In concert they come off as a British garage band at best and the poor fidelity doesn't do them any favors. The tunes are a nostalgic curiosity, nothing more, and don't hold up to repeated listens.

In the history of progressive rock music I doubt that the playful "Shazam" had much influence on anybody in the genre. However, for the group it was a giant step up from the Top 40 mentality that dominated the recordings that came before and laid the groundwork for more challenging undertakings in the future. It will always remind me of some of the best years of my life so I cherish it for what it is, warts and all. It was Roy Wood's last project before saying farewell to Carl Wayne and joining forces with Jeff Lynne, and it offers hints of the proggier direction he was about to set out on with the final two Move albums and onward to the adventurous debut of The Electric Light Orchestra.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#174607) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 20, 2008

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Are you going away with no word of farewell?

Having enjoyed their first taste of success in the album charts with their debut album in 1968, it took the Move another 2 years to release a follow up. During the intervening period, the band continued to find considerable singles chart success in the UK, including their first and only number one single "Blackberry way". During those two years, two members of the band (Ace Kefford and Trevor Burton) departed, but the core trio of Wood, Bevan and Wayne remained.

Continuing a policy the band had successfully exploited on their "Something else from the Move" EP, "Shazam" saw the band taking a couple of songs by other established artists and stamping their own identity on them, much like Vanilla Fudge had pioneered in the US.

"Shazam" represents a fundamental shift in emphasis for The Move, at least in terms of album tracks. While they would continue to record commercially appealing singles, this album serves as a first pointer towards the formation of the Electric Light Orchestra. Quite what caused such a sea-change in the band's style is unclear, especially in view of their continued attack on the singles chart.

With just 6 tracks in total, four of which run to over 6 minutes, it is immediately apparent that this album will not be as instantly accessible as the eponymous debut. We start however with another potential single. "Hello Suzie" (a song originally written by Roy Wood for Amen Corner, who took it into the singles chart as a pop number) is the heaviest song recorded by the band up to this point, but it retains a strong hook and superb vocals by Wood. The song is something of a cross between Led Zeppelin and the Beatles. "Beautiful daughter" is the only genuinely short track on the album, running to a shade under 3 minutes. The track has much in keeping with the first album, Carl Wayne taking lead vocal on a delightfully orchestrated light ditty.

With "Cherry blossom clinic revisited" we reach the real meat of the album. The song is a reworking of the aborted single from the band's debut. It opens with a mildly amusing spoken passage introducing a startlingly heavy interpretation of the song. The instrumental passage bizarrely includes an extract from Bach's "Jesu joy of man's desiring" played on acoustic guitar.

The first part of the 11 minute "Fields of people" is a slightly lighter psychedelic number with a catchy melody and effective harmonies. The song, which is credited to Wyatt Day / Jon Pierson, was originally recorded by the late 60's US band Ars Nova (although their version ran to under 3 minutes!). The Move's version is in two distinct halves, the latter part being a sitar recital. "Don't make my baby blue" was a hit for Frankie Lane in the early 60's, written by the renown song writing team of Barry Mann and Cynthia Weill. This is probably the heaviest track on a very heavy album. The blues leanings of the song remain, albeit rather drowned out by the rather chaotic sledgehammer beat.

In one of the most imaginative moves of their career, the final cover is of Tom Paxtons's folk classic "The last thing on my mind", a number often mistaken for a traditional folk song. This wonderful 6 minute interpretation respects the integrity of the song, but presents it in a whole new prog orientated dimension, complete with a magical space rock instrumental section.

In all, a highly ambitious second album by The Move, which sees them taking bold steps into new territories. Those who acquired the album on the basis of the band's many great singles may have been puzzled by what they found, but in these parts, this is arguably a definitive proto prog album.

This would be Carl Wayne's final album with the Move. After unsuccessfully attempting to reunite the band with former members, and conscious of Roy Wood's fledgling ambitions relating to his Electric Light Orchestra project, Wayne opted for a solo career. He actually recorded with ELO, but the recording were not used at the time. He went on to work with Mike Oldfield (on "Earth moving"), and in 2000 replaced Allan Clarke in the Hollies. Sadly, Carl Wayne passed away in 2004.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#187551) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 01, 2008

4 stars For me, Shazam is one of those records that you stick with the second you've heard it thru and thru. My first listen, which was just over a year ago, left me with the feeling that this has great potential, but that it was a bit banal at that. Second listen convinced me that the musicianship here is ... (read more)

Report this review (#885417) | Posted by tabintheocean | Tuesday, January 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Shazam is the album where The Move really learned how to rock! Fresh off a tour of the States, the band decided to make an album out of its highlights. The final product sees them playing heaver, longer and LOUDER than ever before. Quite a far cry from the Mod-pop these guys formerly indulged in, ... (read more)

Report this review (#174728) | Posted by cohen34 | Saturday, June 21, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE MOVE "Shazam"