SHAZAM

rock music collection

Buy THE MOVE Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Hello Susie (4:51)
2. Beautiful Daughter (2:51)
3. Cherry Blossom Clinic Revisited (7:40)
4. Fields of People (10:58)
5. Don't Make My Baby Blue (6:02)
6. The Last Thing On My Mind (7:36)

7. So You Want To Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star (3:00)*

- Roy Wood / guitars, vocals
- Carl Wayne / vocals
- Rick Price / bass
- Bev Bevan / drums

Remastered by Repertoire Records in 1998 with 9 bonus tracks noted with * in track listing.

Thanks to chicapah for the addition

THE MOVE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE MOVE Shazam Music

DVD$10.02
BBC SessionsBBC Sessions
Strange Fruit UK 1998
HOWARD LEWIS & LOVINS - MAKE YA MOVE NEW CD US $16.24 Buy It Now 34m 52s
SEALED 1979 Pop LP Captain & Tennille Make Your Move Casablanca NBLP 7188 US $9.99 Buy It Now 35m 7s
All American Rejects Move Along CD NEW (UK Import) US $9.22 Buy It Now 49m 12s
Move On Baby - Acceptable US $2.47 Buy It Now 52m 52s
WE ARE SCIENTISTS Nobody Move Nobody Get Hurt Limited 7 Inch Red Vinyl Single US $14.91 Buy It Now 54m 28s
INSPIRAL CARPETS Move Limited 7 Inch Vinyl Single US $11.59 Buy It Now 57m 19s
JOHNNY NASH Lets Move & groove / Understanding 7 inch 45 US $0.75 [0 bids]
57m 42s
THE JACKSON 5 If I have To Move A Mountain / Little Bitty Pretty One 7 inch 45 US $0.75 [0 bids]
57m 49s
Do You Love Me b/w Move Mr Man The Contours 45 Gordy 7005 G US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h
Soul 45 Sam Cooke - You Gotta Move / Little Red Rooster On Rca Victor US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h
CD. JUNIOR SENIOR - MOVE YOUR FEET RARE U.K. d.j.PROMO CLASSIC. US $2.14 [0 bids]
THE ELIMINATORS Move Out Lotus M- 45 RPM US $50.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
CD BERNARD BUTLER People Move On (SUEDE) MINT US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
TRICKSTER (CMV'S) - MOVE ON UP 6 Track EP CD 1998 MINT US $4.56 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Move Along by The All-American Rejects (CD, Jul-2005, Interscope (USA)) US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
THE MOVE THE MOVE COLLECTION castle 86 double Lp US $11.59 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Rock 45 Janis Joplin - Get It While You Can / Move Over On Stereo US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Soul 45 The Jackson 5 - Little Bitty Pretty One / If I Have To Move A Mountain O US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Jess & James Palette 100 What Was I Born For and Move US $13.50 Buy It Now 1h 26m
HUNTER MUSKET EVERY TIME YOU MOVE LP LILITH (2007) SEALED EU REC 1970 US $16.56 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Move Forward/Back to Lillie by Kandina Jane (CD, 2008, Renaissance Records... US $3.30 Buy It Now 1h 30m
George Thorogood & Destroyers, Move It on Over Audio CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
X-pansions Move Your Body (Elevation) 12" Simply Vinyl (S12) 2003 US $14.91 Buy It Now 1h 32m
BUMP J - MOVE AROUND 3-TRACK U.S.PROMO DJ CD CS138 ## US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
BILLY HALL rocker 45 Move Over Rover / Shootin' Pool - NM US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 40m
BILL HALEY & COMETS rocker 45 Lean Jean / Don't Nobody Move - NM US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
JOHNNY NASH Let's Move b/w Understanding 45 rpm vinyl record J102-A US $5.99 [0 bids]
Cathy Dennis - Move to This (1991) no back cover GC0 US $1.24 [0 bids]
FAMILY TREE Virgo / Push Move Build / Regardless 12 inch indie rap US $0.89 [0 bids]
DEL SHANNON 'Move It On Over' LP rockabilly Royaltones Amy Records Norton Elvis US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 47m
The Shamen - Move Any Mountain - Progen 91 - CD - 1991 - Like New - Mint US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Guns N Roses Paradise City 7" Canada Move To The City 92 75707 US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
(AC268) Peter Bjorn & John, It Don't Move Me - DJ CD US $4.96 Buy It Now 2h 25m
1989 - Young M.C. - Bust A Move / Got More Rhymes - DELICIOUS VINY US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 27m
MARLENA SHAW: Looking Through The Eyes Of Love / Anyone Can Move A Mountain 45 US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 34m
DEJA -MOVE - REMEMBER THE PAST NEW CD US $23.14 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Les Dudek: Gonna Move / Tears Turn Into Diamonds 7" 45 NM USA Columbia 3-10744 US $7.49 Buy It Now 2h 36m
RICHARD (Popcorn) WYLIE Move Over Babe (sung & instrumental) 45 rpm 1973 Soul US $0.99 [0 bids]
CHARLES PERRY: How Can I (keep From Crying) / Move On Love (rare soul 45) US $70.00 Buy It Now 2h 50m
The Grass Roots Move Along Album LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 51m
ROCK HOUSE Gotta Move / Change Of Heart 7 inch 45 obscure 80s rockabllly US $1.13 [0 bids]
ALCATRAZ Move faster EP ORBITAL 3 TRX FERMAN CD single US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 54m
SIAMESE FIGHTING FIS - BREATHE:SEE:MOVE [DIGIPAK] * - NEW CD US $12.08 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Dave Clark Five - HAVING A WILD WEEKEND - US Catch Us If you Can On the Move LP US $33.99 Buy It Now 2h 58m
BILLY BRANIGAN make a move LP Record 1987 PROMO ONLY US $14.98 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Funkhouse Express 45 rpm on Buddah "Music makes you move (part 1)" US $2.99 [0 bids]
3h
ELMORE JAMES / GOT TO MOVE ~ IMPORTED OXFORD ALBUM ~ NEAR MINT US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Feel The Earth Move [Single] - Martika (Cassette) in NM US $2.65 Buy It Now 3h 3m
The Move - Colour Me Rare! / Tendolar TDR-059 - Rare Silver CD Import US $17.99 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Move Along by The All-American Rejects (CD, Jul-2005, Interscope (USA) BMG US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 16m
TRAVIS WAMMACK Do Me b/w You Better Move On STOCK 45 M- US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Rock 45 Delaney & Bonnie - Move 'Em Out / Sing My Way Home On Atco US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Captain & Tennille LP 1979 Make your move EX US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Kate Smith Anyone Can Move a Mountain vinyl PRM 45 rpm US $7.00 Buy It Now 3h 30m
MOVE Move 2CD US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Rock 45 Chantay'S - Pipeline / Move It On Dot US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 37m
V/A -Teenage Shutdown Move It! CD 60's garage punk back from the grave norton US $17.99 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Young MC LP Busta Move SEALED Old School Rap US $12.99 [0 bids]
(EJ694) Nerd, She Wants to Move - 2004 DJ CD US $4.96 Buy It Now 3h 49m
THE MOVE Looking In CD silver Third Eye TV radio broadcast soundboard Monada US $74.95 Buy It Now 3h 53m
CATHY DENNIS cd MOVE TO THIS touch me TOO MANY WALLS just another dream C'MON US $7.99 [0 bids]
ARMANDO WE'RE ON THE MOVE 12" US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 56m
(DF188) Duels, The Barbarians Move In - DJ CD US $6.80 Buy It Now 3h 59m
CLIFF RICHARD(THE SHADOWS) MOVE IT US $2.81 [0 bids]
People Move On - Butler, Bernard (CD 1998) US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 12m
Shamen Move Any Mountain 12" Vinyl Single Dbl US $13.68 Buy It Now 4h 15m
FTP-L560 OVATIONS, THE Folk Is On The Move OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 19m
WRS-10003 PERKO, ART Polka's On The Move OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Polka US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 19m
TAUR-1002 PERKO, ART Polka's On The Move OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Polka US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 19m
The Move - "Fire Brigade" MFP 5276 Music For Pleasure/Fly Records U.K. Press LP US $7.79 Buy It Now 4h 20m
INTR-6432 SPARKLE Time To Move On (3 vers.) OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Soul US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
INTR-6460 SPARKLE Time To Move On (4 vers.) OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Soul US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Ullman, Tracey Move Over Darling 7" Stiff BUY195 EX/EX 1983 picture sleeve, Ullm US $17.34 Buy It Now 4h 26m
Sealed 12" Single 24K Chickens Move Out 2003 Madd US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 31m
TRACEY ULLMAN - MOVE OVER DARLING (VERY GOOD CONDITION 7" VINYL) US $3.30 Buy It Now 4h 31m
BO RHAMBO Move it on out Lost in a dream Cash label 45 US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 31m
THE 2 LIVE CREW / MOVE SOMTHIN' / TAPE / 1988 / RAP / HIP-HOP / LOOK ! US $3.99 [0 bids]
Jun Fukamachi..On The Move..Orig Japan Catch Up Fusion on Alfa US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 42m
Move It Like This/Break Away [Single] by Baha Men (CD, Feb-2002, S-Curve (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
JERRY MCCAIN: Blues On The Move (blues & r&b vinyl 45) US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 42m
AMERICAN FADE Im Alive (Let's Move On) / INSTR 12 inch single PROTO US $2.99 [0 bids]
CHANTAYS: Pipeline / Move It 45 Oldies US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 56m
DAVID HALLYDAY SILVIE VARTAN Japan 1988 PROMO NM 12" MOVE US $49.99 Buy It Now 4h 58m
1970 CHEVY ADD SEALED RECORD ON THE MOVE SL-6658 MINT GOOD FOR FRAMING CHEVELLE US $13.94 [0 bids]
CAPPELLA "MOVE IT UP/BIG BEAT" PAGANI PICOTTO BORTOLOTTI R.A.F. ITALO DANCE CDS US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
NEW - Move by Shakedowns US $3.00 Buy It Now 5h 9m
JEREMY WARMSLEY I BELIEVE IN THE WAY YOU MOVE 2 X 7" US $13.70 Buy It Now 5h 9m
Baha Men ~ Move it Like This 2002 (Audio CD) Herschel Small / Isaiah Taylor US $6.55 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Three 4 Tens : Throw-Back-Move With the Three CD (1997) US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 27m
PROMO POP 45 RPM - TY WHITNEY - 20th CENTURY FOX 447 - "MOVE OVER DARLING" US $6.00 Buy It Now 5h 27m
HEAR - Rare Soul Instrumental 45 - The Busybodies - The Move - Dial # 4039 - VG US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 31m
MOVE D-Songs From The Beehive:Smallville/NEW SEALED CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 31m
'MOVE TO THIS' RARE 1991 USA 15-Track PROMO (The La's,Gang of Four,Bananarama) US $4.99 [0 bids]
NEW - Let the Music Move Me US $4.97 Buy It Now 5h 41m
LOOTPACK "PSYCHE MOVE " EP MADLIB RARE 1996 INDY SEALED shipping is not $4 US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
(EP117) Hanni El Khatib, Nobody Move - DJ CD US $4.96 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Animotion: Room To Move PROMO Music CD w/ AUTHENT Artwork CDP40 Pop Mix Polydor US $53.99 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Cathy Dennis - Move To This CD PROMO US $3.99 [0 bids]
James Brown Tired Of Standing Still We Got To Move On / You Are My 7" 45 rpm NM US $7.20 Buy It Now 5h 57m
The Hush by Texas CD! IN OUR LIFETIME, SUMMER SON, SUNDAY AFTERNOON, MOVE IN US $3.99 [0 bids]
6h

More places to buy THE MOVE music online Buy THE MOVE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE MOVE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE MOVE Shazam ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(14%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(36%)

THE MOVE Shazam reviews

Review by Chicapah
3 stars I'm so glad this group is included on ProgArchives but, at the same time, they pose a dilemma for me as a reviewer. While I wholeheartedly agree that they belong in the proto-prog bunch, I feel that many listeners might find that categorization to be a stretch. The fact that they were (and are still) relatively unknown in the U.S. presents a sizeable obstacle and the fact that their albums were such a hodgepodge of unrelated styles is yet another. I'll just say their appeal is an acquired taste and leave it at that.

This record in particular holds a special place in my heart because I discovered it shortly after I'd moved out of mom & dad's house, gotten my own apartment and started my life as a free-wheelin' college boy. In 1970 I spent more time in the campus record store than I did in class, having meaningful conversations/arguments about the state of music with the hippie owner and poring over the latest issue of Rolling Stone (Back then it was a respected, viable source of info about rock & roll. Now it's about as relevant as the National Enquirer). It was a glowing review in that rag that made me shell out my meager entertainment funds for this LP and it instantly met my #1 criteria the minute I got it on my turntable: The Move didn't sound like any band I'd ever heard in my life. They were, in a word, different, and that's what I couldn't get enough of.

Their repeated success on the British pop charts, while admirable, hadn't fulfilled their artistic souls. "Shazam" was a drastic departure from that constricting hit single mindset. It's a somewhat schizophrenic and, at times, progressive journey into the realm of extended album cuts. The first track, the rude "Hello Susie," has a big, proggy intro that snaps your brain to attention immediately before it levels out into a straight-ahead rocker that features Rick Price's thick bass guitar tone and Roy Wood's stacked 12-string electric guitars. Whereas most English singers of that era went out of their way to downplay their indigenous accent and sound "American," Roy's gritty native tongue comes barging through unhindered and I applaud him for letting it all hang out. It puts a raw but genuine edge on the song. The flanged harmonies on the chorus belie their psychedelic roots but Bev Bevan's weird drum fills on the accented breaks throw things for a curve. While at first I thought he was just being odd for odd's sake, I soon realized that BB is truly one of the worst drummers on the planet and the logic-defying Achilles heel of not only this group but ELO, as well. (Unfortunately, it's something I obviously have to accept about the band but I'll never, ever understand why he lasted.)

Between the first number and the second you are introduced to the most unusual aspect of this album that has always delighted and intrigued me. They interject spontaneous man-on-the-street interviews that have nothing to do with the music being presented and these unrehearsed snippets lend a levity to the proceedings that is, to my knowledge, totally unique. (The Who scattered faux radio spots on their "Sell Out" LP but these vignettes are something else entirely.) "Beautiful Daughter" is a clever, short ditty with deep acoustic guitars and a string quartet that shines a spotlight on lead vocalist Carl Wayne as he does his best Paul McCartney imitation. Clocking in at less than 3 minutes, it's over before you know it and you're on to the proggiest tune on the album, the incredible "Cherry Blossom Clinic Revisited." After a hilarious spoken-word introduction the group explodes into crisp, layered guitars and a gigantic bass sound as Wayne sings about life in a loony bin. There's never a dull musical moment and the straw-hat barbershop quartet refrain of "lock me in and throw the key away." fits perfectly at the end of every chorus. But it's in the instrumental section that things get really intriguing as they incorporate themes from Bach, Dukas and Tchaikovsky into the brilliantly arranged segment, culminating in a deranged vocal interpretation of one of Johann Sebastian's most recognizable melodies as warbled by a choir of inmates from the asylum. As humorous as it is, I'm still amazed to this day by the high level of musicianship displayed throughout this piece, especially by Wood on the guitars. (By the way, there's not a keyboard to be heard on "Shazam.")

The eleven-minute "Fields of People" is a great example of good news/bad news. First the good. It's a well-written, catchy song that rocks with tight, dense harmonies and slick, clean 12-string guitar work from Roy. What distinguishes it from most every tune I've ever heard, though, is the off-the-cuff spoken tomfoolery going on in and around Wayne's vocal track. Taking themselves too seriously was not one of this band's problems and the eclectic, carefree "why the Hell not?" nature of it all gives the tune a charm that I find irresistible. It's as if they weren't about to let cutting an album get in the way of having a bit of fun. You gotta hear it to believe it. The bad news is that, at about halfway through the number, they segue to a long, ridiculously overindulgent, amateurishly performed, sitar-driven Indian pseudo-raga that should have faded out after about 30 seconds. Instead it drones on. And on. And on. Gradually speeding up to go absolutely nowhere. It has no redeeming qualities at all so consider yourself forewarned and prepared to utilize the "skip" button. (In the days of vinyl I used to have to get up, physically lift the needle and skip over this noisy nonsense as if it was some unexplained ritual required to make it through the LP.)

Their heavy-handed, hard rock version of "Don't Make My Baby Blue" proves beyond a doubt that The Move was no longer some lightweight pop outfit. Here they are a supercharged power trio roaring behind Carl's strong, Paul Rodgers-like vocal with Wood sounding like he's pumping a Les Paul through five stacks of Marshall amplifiers set on 11 and peeling the paint off the studio ceiling. Self-restraint was not one of this group's strong points, however, and the out-of-control wah-wah guitar solo gets to be a bit much in the middle. The final tune is a remake of the Tom Paxton folk classic, "The Last Thing on My Mind," where Roy builds a wall of sound with ringing acoustic and 12 string guitars behind Wayne's cabaret-style crooning. But just when you think it's nothing more than a then-popular standard done up big time, Wood takes you on a psychedelic detour with swirling guitar lines and backwards masking that's as trippy as Pink Floyd on peyote. I won't call it great, but it's definitely interesting and memorable.

The remastered version includes 9 cover songs recorded live from the stage of the famous Marquee Club circa 1968 that only goes to show that The Move did their finest work in the confines of the studio. In concert they come off as a British garage band at best and the poor fidelity doesn't do them any favors. The tunes are a nostalgic curiosity, nothing more, and don't hold up to repeated listens.

In the history of progressive rock music I doubt that the playful "Shazam" had much influence on anybody in the genre. However, for the group it was a giant step up from the Top 40 mentality that dominated the recordings that came before and laid the groundwork for more challenging undertakings in the future. It will always remind me of some of the best years of my life so I cherish it for what it is, warts and all. It was Roy Wood's last project before saying farewell to Carl Wayne and joining forces with Jeff Lynne, and it offers hints of the proggier direction he was about to set out on with the final two Move albums and onward to the adventurous debut of The Electric Light Orchestra.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#174607) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 20, 2008

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Are you going away with no word of farewell?

Having enjoyed their first taste of success in the album charts with their debut album in 1968, it took the Move another 2 years to release a follow up. During the intervening period, the band continued to find considerable singles chart success in the UK, including their first and only number one single "Blackberry way". During those two years, two members of the band (Ace Kefford and Trevor Burton) departed, but the core trio of Wood, Bevan and Wayne remained.

Continuing a policy the band had successfully exploited on their "Something else from the Move" EP, "Shazam" saw the band taking a couple of songs by other established artists and stamping their own identity on them, much like Vanilla Fudge had pioneered in the US.

"Shazam" represents a fundamental shift in emphasis for The Move, at least in terms of album tracks. While they would continue to record commercially appealing singles, this album serves as a first pointer towards the formation of the Electric Light Orchestra. Quite what caused such a sea-change in the band's style is unclear, especially in view of their continued attack on the singles chart.

With just 6 tracks in total, four of which run to over 6 minutes, it is immediately apparent that this album will not be as instantly accessible as the eponymous debut. We start however with another potential single. "Hello Suzie" (a song originally written by Roy Wood for Amen Corner, who took it into the singles chart as a pop number) is the heaviest song recorded by the band up to this point, but it retains a strong hook and superb vocals by Wood. The song is something of a cross between Led Zeppelin and the Beatles. "Beautiful daughter" is the only genuinely short track on the album, running to a shade under 3 minutes. The track has much in keeping with the first album, Carl Wayne taking lead vocal on a delightfully orchestrated light ditty.

With "Cherry blossom clinic revisited" we reach the real meat of the album. The song is a reworking of the aborted single from the band's debut. It opens with a mildly amusing spoken passage introducing a startlingly heavy interpretation of the song. The instrumental passage bizarrely includes an extract from Bach's "Jesu joy of man's desiring" played on acoustic guitar.

The first part of the 11 minute "Fields of people" is a slightly lighter psychedelic number with a catchy melody and effective harmonies. The song, which is credited to Wyatt Day / Jon Pierson, was originally recorded by the late 60's US band Ars Nova (although their version ran to under 3 minutes!). The Move's version is in two distinct halves, the latter part being a sitar recital. "Don't make my baby blue" was a hit for Frankie Lane in the early 60's, written by the renown song writing team of Barry Mann and Cynthia Weill. This is probably the heaviest track on a very heavy album. The blues leanings of the song remain, albeit rather drowned out by the rather chaotic sledgehammer beat.

In one of the most imaginative moves of their career, the final cover is of Tom Paxtons's folk classic "The last thing on my mind", a number often mistaken for a traditional folk song. This wonderful 6 minute interpretation respects the integrity of the song, but presents it in a whole new prog orientated dimension, complete with a magical space rock instrumental section.

In all, a highly ambitious second album by The Move, which sees them taking bold steps into new territories. Those who acquired the album on the basis of the band's many great singles may have been puzzled by what they found, but in these parts, this is arguably a definitive proto prog album.

This would be Carl Wayne's final album with the Move. After unsuccessfully attempting to reunite the band with former members, and conscious of Roy Wood's fledgling ambitions relating to his Electric Light Orchestra project, Wayne opted for a solo career. He actually recorded with ELO, but the recording were not used at the time. He went on to work with Mike Oldfield (on "Earth moving"), and in 2000 replaced Allan Clarke in the Hollies. Sadly, Carl Wayne passed away in 2004.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#187551) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 01, 2008

4 stars For me, Shazam is one of those records that you stick with the second you've heard it thru and thru. My first listen, which was just over a year ago, left me with the feeling that this has great potential, but that it was a bit banal at that. Second listen convinced me that the musicianship here is ... (read more)

Report this review (#885417) | Posted by tabintheocean | Tuesday, January 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Shazam is the album where The Move really learned how to rock! Fresh off a tour of the States, the band decided to make an album out of its highlights. The final product sees them playing heaver, longer and LOUDER than ever before. Quite a far cry from the Mod-pop these guys formerly indulged in, ... (read more)

Report this review (#174728) | Posted by cohen34 | Saturday, June 21, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE MOVE "Shazam"