MESSAGE FROM THE COUNTRY

Search THE MOVE Message From the Country tabs

- Roy Wood / guitars, bass, horns, strings, vocals
- Jeff Lynne / guitars, bass, keyboards, vocals
- Bev Bevan / drums, vocals

Remastered in 2005 with 8 bonus tracks noted with * in track listing.

Thanks to chicapah for the addition

THE MOVE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE MOVE Message From the Country Music

Lost BroadcastsLost Broadcasts
Widescreen · Import
Ais 2012
DVD$7.71
Fashion(7" Vinyl P/S)Move On-Arista-ARIST 440-UK-Ex/Ex US $10.49 Buy It Now 36m 52s
Move It Like This by Baha Men (CD, Mar-2002, S-Curve (USA)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
40m 6s
Move to This by Cathy Dennis (CD, Oct-2004, PolyGram) US $3.99 [0 bids]
40m 10s
Power Move Syndicate Sampler 2 CD 1990 Rhyme Syndicate 6 Tracks ESK1963 SEALED US $19.00 Buy It Now 47m 46s
VINYL 12" SINGLE - M.V.P - Bounce, shake, move, stop! - 12TIVDJ 227 US $14.92 Buy It Now 48m 26s
MIDNIGHT STAR FREAK-A-ZOID / MOVE ME 12' SOLAR US $8.00 Buy It Now 49m 53s
THE KINKS All Day And All Of The Night / I Gotta Move original 45 from 1964 US $4.99 Buy It Now 51m 10s
Dugsy Ranks - Move / Version. Techniques Label. Reggae. US $4.99 [0 bids]
57m 9s
THE SHAMEN Move Any Mountain 12" 1991 LITTLE INDIANS FREE UK POST US $12.61 Buy It Now 57m 54s
R.Harper,Move,E.Broughton,etc. 1971 UK Harvest LP. VG! US $8.28 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Heartland / Move On JAPAN Giant AOR NEW!!!!! B US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
CANE AND ABLE -GIRL YOU MOVE ME- ORIGINAL FRENCH 7" SP 45-AFRO BEAT FUNK US $14.90 Buy It Now 1h 10m
CATCH US IF YOU CAN / MOVE ON 1965 THE DAVE CLARK FIVE COLUMBIA DB 7625 US $1.64 [0 bids]
The Chuck Wagon Gang - Move Up To Heaven - LP US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 38m
THE ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS "MOVE ALONG" CD **LIKE NEW** US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
THE CARS-MOVE LIKE THIS-JAPAN SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 1h 43m
HEAR! Soul Funk Promo 45 FREE MOVEMENT I Can't Move No Mountains on Columbia (Pr US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
HEAR! Soul Funk 45 BULL AND THE MATADORS Move With Groove on Toddlin' Town US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Donavon Frankenreiter - Move By Yourself Japan CD+2 US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 47m
JOE THOMAS ~ Make Your Move / Get On Back ~ 12" Single US $6.62 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Danielle Alexander - First Move (1989 Mercury/PolyGram Records) Used Vinyl LP US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Leon Tassin "Get A Move On, Baby" b/w "Senor Jose..." 45rpm Pelican E3W-5287 US $2.00 [0 bids]
BALTIMORA - TECHNOTRONIC - Tarzan Boy - Move This - NM - 90's US $8.50 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Outkast: Roses/The Way You Move [EP] by Karaoke (CD, Sep-2004, BCI-Eclipse... US $0.99 [0 bids]
MOVE OUT - Gregory Peck (DB464) US $6.62 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Animotion-Room To Move-Send It Over-7" 45-Polydor-Picture Sleeve-Vinyl Record-NM US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
TUXEDOMOON Pinheads On The Move 20 tracks 1987 Crammed Discs CBOY5050 CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 31m
45 RECORD, THE CHALLENGERS. ON THE MOVE / FOOT TAPPER. US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 32m
The Blue Ridge Quartet "On The Move" Record Album Canan CAS-9713 US $5.00 [0 bids]
INTRANSIT: MICROS ON THE MOVE / PETE WARD: WHEN I MEETS I - EMBRYO ARTS - HEAR!! US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Midnight Star Solar 45 Record #69828 VG+ 1982 Move Me / Freak A Zoid US $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 2m
GREGORY PECK / MOVE OUT 12" JAMMY'S DERRICK IRIE /GOLD MINE DANCEHALL US $8.28 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Hue & Cry,CD,Next Move,Import,Cut-Out US $7.50 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Moby - Move 12" EP UK Press Mute Records US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
A Portrait of Doris Day inc Move Over Darling + Cassette Tape - TESTED US $1.64 Buy It Now 3h 19m
CONTOURS Do You Love Me + Move 45 US 1962 orig Gordy 7005 US $14.98 Buy It Now 3h 19m
45 RPM RECORD/13A)RAY CHARLES/ I'M GONNA MOVE TO THE OU US $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Move to This by Cathy Dennis (CD, Oct-2004, PolyGram) US $1.99 Buy It Now 3h 26m
HANOI ROCKS TWO STEPS FROM THE MOVE US $4.50 [0 bids]
DANSE SOCIETY 7" Single-Hold On(To What You've Got)/Danse Move,EX+ US $11.60 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Cars - Move Like This [Vinyl New] US $18.02 Buy It Now 3h 38m
Cars - Move Like This [CD New] US $12.76 Buy It Now 3h 38m
THAT PETROL EMOTION GENIUS MOVE 12" UK US $9.49 Buy It Now 3h 41m
AMERICA YOUR MOVE LP SEALED ST-12277 US $16.66 Buy It Now 3h 44m
LONNIE ON THE MOVE - Lonnie Mack, 1968 US $3.25 [0 bids]
Time Move Over - King (Rock) (CD 2001)NEW SEALED CD US $1.95 Buy It Now 3h 48m
B.G. Move Around INSTRUMENTAL & ACAPELLA PROMO DJ CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 53m
ZARA McFARLANE - Move. rare UK 3 track CD +press (Brownswood, Buy 3 = Free P US $3.29 Buy It Now 3h 55m
RARE BRENDA LEE "YOU BETTER MOVE ON" NORTHERN SOUL 60'S 7' US $12.74 Buy It Now 3h 57m
BULL & THE MATADORS 45 I Can't Forget / Move With the Groove TODDLIN' TOWN #B288 US $13.00 Buy It Now 4h
Charlie Singleton 45 Make Your Move on Me Baby / That's the Cry of 7" vinyl rpm US $2.75 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Comsat Angels 7" You Move Me US $4.98 Buy It Now 4h 4m
Bump J - Pushaman / Move Around - Atlantic #642412 US $6.62 Buy It Now 4h 9m
MARV JOHNSON - Move Two Mountains/I Need You US $20.00 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Move/Roy Wood ORIG NM UK 1970 45 WITH COMPANY SLEEVE BRONTOSAURUS/LIGHTNING/NICE US $2.99 [0 bids]
BRENDA LEE - Let It Be Me/You Better Move On US $8.00 Buy It Now 4h 15m
The Move of Life by Windsor Riley (CD, Music West) US $4.75 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Baha Men - Move It Like This (CD 2002) US $5.47 Buy It Now 4h 19m
What Now - Move Like A Sinner (2013) US $0.81 [0 bids]
NANCY MARTINEZ "Move Out" 12" VINYL SINGLE RECORD - EX US $2.99 [0 bids]
Romantics - Test Of Time/Better Make A Move - Promo 7" 45 RPM Vinyl Record- 1985 US $2.25 Buy It Now 4h 50m
GONZALEZ MOVE IT TO THE MUSIC LP SWK 9003 US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 52m
AEROSMITH "You Gotta Move" VERY RARE PROMO VHS Cassette ! Video Hard Rock US $5.99 [0 bids]
Kon Kan Move To Move Vinyl LP - Near Mint US $11.60 Buy It Now 4h 59m
YOU BETTER MOVE ON - THE ROLLING STONES - U.K. DECCA RECORDS MONO E.P. - EX+ US $24.90 [0 bids]
5h
Move Over, Mover, Good Single US $4.51 Buy It Now 5h 3m
JOHNNY NASH: Let's Move & Groove (soul vinyl 45) US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 5m
THE SHAMEN Move Any Mountain 4 track White Label UK Pressing 12" EP US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 11m
TRINI LOPEZ ON THE MOVE, PRODUCED BY DON COSTA - Reprise R-6112 US $4.99 [0 bids]
TARENTEL ~ We Move Through Weather ~ 2 x VINYL LP + POSTER US $41.48 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Celine Dion Love Can Move Mountains / Cry Just A Little 45 rpm Epic 34-74337 NM US $4.40 Buy It Now 5h 25m
1 CENT CD If They Move... Kill Them - Fairweather SEALED US $0.01 [0 bids]
Time to Move on - Near Perfect US $2.50 Buy It Now 5h 33m
Move It Like This / Break Away - Near Perfect US $2.50 Buy It Now 5h 33m
People Move On - Good US $2.48 Buy It Now 5h 34m
Move Your Body * by Rebirth Brass Band (Vinyl, Jun-2014, Basin Street Records) US $17.55 Buy It Now 5h 38m
TEENAGE SHUTDOWN - GET A MOVE ON - 18 TRACKS / NEW US $23.88 Buy It Now 5h 39m
BRENDA LEE 45 Let It Be Me/You Better Move On MINT- US $4.95 Buy It Now 5h 43m
JIM MESSINA (with PAULINE WILSON) - Stay The Night / Move Into Your Heart- PROMO US $1.99 Buy It Now 5h 44m
POLYDOR 60s rock GERMAN 45 THE MOVE - Wild Tiger Woman + Omnibus US $4.00 [0 bids]
House of Pain EVERLAST I can't Move w/ 2 RARE LIVE TRX UK CD Single SEALED 2001 US $39.99 Buy It Now 5h 45m
BOHANNON make your body move Lp RECORD 1983 PHASE II US $13.99 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Soul Unplayed NM! 45 BAR-KAYS Move Your Boogie Body on Mercury US $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 54m
7" 45 rpm - THE MOVE - FLOWERS IN THE RAIN/(HERE WE GO ROUND) THE LEMON TREE US $4.99 [0 bids]
RAYDAR ELLIS Late Pass 2xLP Edo G Esoteric Project Move US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Eric B & Rakim Move The Crowd US $8.00 Buy It Now 5h 59m
CARS - MOVE LIKE THIS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $22.27 Buy It Now 6h
Everlast I Can't Move U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $6.47 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Move With Me. Hiphop Remix Foxy Bron. Keysten US $5.95 Buy It Now 6h 7m
Black Gospel 78rpm THE GOSPEL KEYS You Got To Move DISC 714 US $7.99 [0 bids]
THE CARS, MOVE LIKE THIS, VINYL LP GATEFOLD US $49.99 Buy It Now 6h 12m
Shakatak - Move A Little Closer (CD Single) US $6.21 Buy It Now 6h 14m
MOVER Move Over CD Bluetones LOW SHIP 3.00 US $5.99 Buy It Now 6h 16m
CULTURE CLUB MOVE AWAY VIRGIN PROMO W/ PIC SLEEVE STEREO 1986 NRMT + US $3.99 [0 bids]
Move Baby Move by Billy "The Kid" Emerson CD Shim Sham Shimmy Do The Chicken US $8.99 Buy It Now 6h 17m
TRACY NELSON - MOVE ON NEW CD US $21.50 Buy It Now 6h 19m
CAPPELLA - Move On Baby - Deleted 1994 UK 7" Vinyl Single US $8.30 Buy It Now 6h 38m
TODDLIN TOWN soul 45 BULL & MATADORS - I Can't Forget + Move With The Groove US $4.00 [0 bids]
MERL SAUNDERS: Do I Move You (soul vinyl LP) US $30.00 Buy It Now 6h 48m
TRACEY ULLMAN - Move Over Darling - 1983 UK vinyl 7" single US $16.58 Buy It Now 6h 50m

More places to buy THE MOVE music online Buy THE MOVE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE MOVE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE MOVE Message From the Country ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(17%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(33%)

THE MOVE Message From the Country reviews

Review by Tom Ozric
3 stars The Move - Message From The Country - an album I've had for many years, complete with a beautiful psychedelic painting on the cover (with a Middle-Eastern guy playing a sitar on a plateau with a 'bomber' pidgeon coming in to land on a yellow-brick runway between the cliffs - the best way I can put it, anyway !!!). Art-work aside, for me, this album is an uneven mix of styles, proving mastermind Roy Wood's philosophy of 'never repeating the same musical style twice' on an album. This is the 2nd album of the year where future-legend Jeff Lynne had hopped on board, and along with mainstay Drummer Bev Bevan and the ever eclectic Wood, the seeds of the highly acclaimed band, ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA (E.L.O.), were sown. The stunning title track which opens the record could be easily mistaken for an E.L.O. track - it certainly has that distinctive sound and production. Throughout the album, Roy W is the adventurous musician, tackling such instruments as the Oboe, Recorders, Clarinet, Saxes, Bassoon, Guitars and I have to mention here that he plays the Bass - he gets a sound that is soooo BIG and grungey - best show- cased on the excellent tune 'It Wasn't My Idea To Dance', completely de-tuned and up-front (step aside, Geezer B !). The guy is talented, plays all these instruments well, but that Bass sound...... Anyway, the weaker moments of the album come in the form of Elvis and Johnny Cash impersonations - this is obvious on 'Don't Mess Me Up' and 'Ben Crawley Steel Company'. The R'n'R moments are too straight forward to stir up my neurons, and the pastiche of a song from the 30's 'My Marge', I can live without, but the handful of decent tunes (and that Bass) keeps me from relegating this album to the garage. It certainly has its moments - 3 stars, just.

Send comments to Tom Ozric (BETA) | Report this review (#174732) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 21, 2008

Review by Chicapah
4 stars Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne spent the majority of their time in 1970-71 working on their studio tans. I doubt that they saw the light of day much, if ever. The reason is that they were simultaneously recording the final two Move albums, a handful of singles and the debut LP of their dream project, The Electric Light Orchestra. Rick Price, bassist on "Looking On," dropped out (to go make a living) before this album was finished so it's really the Jeff & Roy show with drummer Bev Bevan adding his questionable talents to the tracks. The most obvious difference between "Message from the Country" and "No Answer" by ELO is the fact that Wood reserved his one-man horn section for the former and relegated his cello/violin expertise to the latter. Plus, ELO was a much more serious, ambitious affair whereas the realm of The Move was more of a musical playground where they could relax and have some fun as they experimented with all sorts of eclectic ideas and studio techniques. Their "let's let our muses run wild" attitude is what makes this recording sound different from their previous albums and such a unique joy to hear.

I'm pleased that the reissued version includes what made up the two vinyl LPs I own, the original U.S. release on Capitol (with the cool green cover art shown here) and the '72 "Split Ends" on the United Artists label (with more fantastic cover art I wish you could see) that left out the novelty cuts but included the five hard-to-find singles on it. Unlike the other Move reissues, these bonus tracks are well worth having. I'll explain why further down the road.

The grandiose title song is a fitting anthem for the journey the listener is about to embark on. It has thickly-layered electric guitars, a huge Chris Squire-like bass tone, a melodic refrain that'll stick to the roof of your brain for days and a deep chorus of ahhs (they must have spent hours doing nothing but stacking their vocals) that echo at the finish like a host of angels marching through the Alps. I've read where a lot of fans think this track sounds a lot like ELO but I just consider it to be primo Jeff Lynne, whose individual style permeates everything he gets involved with. The next track is yet another of my all-time Move favorites, the killer rocker "Ella James." Another great melody, integral guitar/bass riffs and a hot piano ride cruising atop one of Bev Bevan's better drum performances make this an outstanding song to cherish. It may not be prog, exactly, but quality rock & roll on this level is nothing to sniff at and shouldn't be dismissed or taken for granted.

Strong, percussive finger picking on the acoustic guitars render the drums unnecessary on the haunting, proggish ballad "No Time" and it works like a charm. The mysterious, airy atmosphere is a precursor to what ELO would create years later on "Eldorado" but Wood's multiple recorders and some interesting 3-part harmonies give this tune its own identity. The group's affinity for authentic rockabilly is in evidence several times on this album and the whimsical "Don't Mess Me Up" with Bev bestowing an admirable Elvis impersonation on the lead vocal gives Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" a run for its money. The Jordanaires-styled background harmonies and the pristine guitar solo are terrific, too. And, speaking of acoustic finger-picking, Roy amazes again on the lively intro to "Until Your Mama's Gone" before Bev comes rumbling in with a beat that resembles that of a trotting camel. Somehow it fits, though, and this grin-inducing tune features the fat RW horn section and what I can only describe as the anti-guitar lead.

What you encounter next are probably overdubbed tracks of Wood's oboes but to me they still sound like snake-charmer horns chattering away over a descending bass line on the beginning of the strange "It Wasn't My Idea to Dance." Here Roy delivers a sinister vocal as he warbles very abstract lyrics like "the people throwing pennies in my soup/expecting me to be ashamed of you" as if he were strolling through some Gothic castle wearing a black cape. (Okay, that's how I would've shot the video). This marks the nadir of the album for me, especially the frenzied horn-a-thon that spins through the ending, but at least Bev's sloppy drums are buried in the mix. "The Minister" brightens things up considerably with its driving beat, a big, full chorale on the bridge and a repeating tremolo guitar riff that is slightly Beatle-ish. The resonating baritone sax (one of Wood's favorite weapons) booms beneath the slithering horns at the finale.

One of The Move's most endearing characteristics is their unfailing sense of humor which keeps them from taking themselves too seriously. "Ben Crawley Steel Company" is an excellent example of that playfulness. If it wasn't so darn funny it'd be pathetic but you'll probably end up enjoying its absurdity in spite of your prog sensibilities. It's an inspired send-up of Country & Western where Bev's macho baritone delivers a Johnny Cash parody that is priceless. The pulsating, rolling groove of "The Words of Aaron" pulls you out of your chuckle hangover with a very dramatic sounding arrangement that emphasizes the electric piano in a rare appearance. If I have a complaint it's that they get a little carried away with the high-pitched voices on the chorus that take them perilously close to Bee Gees range. As is their wont they overindulge and go crazy with Roy's dueling recorders before the fadeout and the brief coda is rather pointless. At this juncture it's an ideal time for the nostalgic 30s flavor of "My Marge," a short ditty performed in the same spirit of the Beatles' "When I'm 64" except that Wood performs a spot-on, crooned-through-a-megaphone imitation of Rudy Vallee to beat the band. Nice clarinet, as well.

As I mentioned earlier, the bonus tracks truly are a bonus in this case as they are some of the best and most concise songs The Move ever recorded. The high-spirited "Tonight," with its folksy, strumming acoustic guitars, is an irresistibly infectious tune with an unforgettable romantic hook line of "I'll be over tonight/if you say you might." and a heavy half-time segment in the middle that keeps it from being too lightweight. The goofy "Chinatown" starts predictably with a Chinese gong (probably Bev's idea) and, while there's no quarrel about its catchiness, it's a kind of throwback to the group's early Top 40 approach to songwriting and I'd rather they didn't go back there. (Let's leave well enough alone, shall we?) The rockabilly vibe is back with a vengeance on "Down on the Bay" and it is true to a fault when it comes to recreating the unadulterated rock & roll spirit of the late 50s/early 60s. Roy offers up his most authentic Chuck Berry licks and the song steamrolls from the tight start to the loose finish where Elvis's ghost can be heard mumbling incoherently in the background. Yeah, the rampant duck call is annoying but that's just how these guys did their business. Let 'em have their quirks, I say.

If you don't have a copy of the original "Do Ya" in your stash of music then I feel sorry for you. It is honest-to-God metallic proto-punk at its finest. Jeff cleaned it up considerably for ELO later on but this version is the unsanitized real deal and it kicks serious tail. I mean, what's not to like? (Except perhaps Bev's clumsy, awkward drumming but by now you gotta be used to that). They sum up the frustrated, what-do-you-want-from-me attitude of the song during the fadeout with an exasperated "Look out, baby, there's a plane a comin'." The phrase means nothing and everything at the same time. In one last blast from the past the boys effectively reproduce the raw aura of Sam Phillip's Sun Record studios to a tee with the dance floor-stomping, contagious "California Man." Here Lynne sounds like a young Jerry Lee Lewis with both his voice and his piano pounding as he trades verses with the gravelly, growling singing style of Wood. It's a rip-roarin' track that fires the full brunt of the powerful RW horns at you and leaves you begging for more. The remaining three tracks are alternate (i.e. not as good) takes of previously heard tunes. 'Nuff said.

I guess the "Message from the Country" we fans received in late 1971 was that, sadly, there would be no more albums coming from The Move. They evolved into The Electric Light Orchestra for better or for worse and now we have only their catalogue of eclectic songs for future generations to know them by. But, thanks in no small part to this website, they'll not be forgotten. They were progressive in the sense that they knew no boundaries to their imaginations and their who-cares-what-the-record- executives-think mindset inspired many prog artists of that era to toss caution to the wind and blaze their own individual trail off the beaten highway. I, for one, am eternally thankful for their splendid legacy.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#175073) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Now a trio, but soon to be an orchestra

Having spent virtually their entire existence on the Regal Zonophone (and its subsequent names) label, The Move moved to Harvest for their fourth and final album plus three singles. This was primarily due to Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne's preoccupation with their Electric Light Orchestra project, the Move's being kept alive only due to delays in implementing ELO. Indeed, the lines between The Move and ELO became even more blurred, with recording sessions including songs destined for both bands. By this time, the Move were down to a core trio (bassist Rick Price left during the recording of the album, with Wood re-recording the bass parts), the third member being drummer Bev Bevan.

"Message from the country" was released in the same year as the previous "Looking on", that album having been virtually ignored by the record label, the pundits and the fans alike. "Message.." fared little better, being rapidly swallowed up by the hype surrounding the launch of ELO in 1972.

"Message.." was the first album not to contain any hit singles whatsoever, although the band did release the song "Tonight"* separately around the same time. While up to this point each Move album had demonstrated significant progress from the last, this final album saw the band at best standing still, and perhaps even regressing. That in itself is not a bad thing, as they had made fine music throughout their career. "Message from the country" may have been a deliberate effort, especially by Wood, to make an album which was not ELO. Songs such as "Ella James" are heavy pop rock numbers with a particular emphasis on the lead guitar riff. Jeff Lynne on the other hand appears to have been far more inclined to approach both projects in the same way. "No time" could have been lifted from either ELO's first album, or with a bit more orchestration, from "Eldorado". Lynne's Beatles sympathies are displayed loud and clear, the floating sounds of the whistle adding a suitably psychedelic atmosphere.

The distinction between the songs of Wood and those of Lynne is far more noticeable here than anywhere else, including the first ELO album. Lynne's "The words of Aaron" for example has little in common with anything Wood ever wrote for the Move, although it does offer an early pointer towards the immediate post-Wood ELO albums. The title track, also written by Lynne, could have featured on albums such as "ELO2" or "On the third day", while offering something a little closer to the adventurous proto-prog of the Move's previous pair of albums.

We reach something of a low point with "Don't mess me up", an unashamed Elvis impersonation (by Bevan) which for me simply indicates that the guys were saving their best material for ELO. "Until your moma's gone" shares the same lack of imagination; it is highly unlikely that such an ordinary song would have made it onto any of the preceding albums.

While "Message from the country" does contain some good material, it is an album by a band being pulled in many directions. Wood and Lynne seem at odds with each other on the direction they want to take, while both are simultaneously trying to keep the spirit of The Move alive. With the major distraction of the concurrent ELO debut occupying their minds it is understandable that this album should have the feel of a contractual obligation. For some, this was the band's best album, for me it is a decent, but no more, end to the band's short life.

* "Tonight" reach number 11 in the UK chart. It was followed by the minor hit "Chinatown" then the Move's final single, "California Man" which broke into the top 10. "California man" was much more an indication of the way Wood would go after leaving ELO in both solo terms and with Wizzard. These songs are all included on the expanded CD version of this album.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#187770) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 03, 2008

3 stars As a longtime fan of early Electric Light Orchestra, I have decided to work my way through the catalog of their precurser band, The Move. The first disc I have chosen is MESSAGE FROM THE COUNTRY, which bears the most resemblance with NO ANSWER the first ELO release. There are 4 great tunes here. ... (read more)

Report this review (#641543) | Posted by mohaveman | Sunday, February 26, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Message from the Country is no doubt The Move's best studio project considering that the material wasnt mostly cut from live recordings like Shazam or a collection of a year and a half's work like their debut. Its an album that showcases them at the peak of their musical creativity as they draw i ... (read more)

Report this review (#174719) | Posted by cohen34 | Saturday, June 21, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE MOVE "Message From the Country"