MESSAGE FROM THE COUNTRY

Search THE MOVE Message From the Country tabs

- Roy Wood / guitars, bass, horns, strings, vocals
- Jeff Lynne / guitars, bass, keyboards, vocals
- Bev Bevan / drums, vocals

Remastered in 2005 with 8 bonus tracks noted with * in track listing.

Thanks to chicapah for the addition

THE MOVE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE MOVE Message From the Country Music

Right Recordings 2012
BBC SessionsBBC Sessions
Strange Fruit UK 1998
Audio CD$34.98 (used)
7" Vinyl Record, Tracey Ullman, Move over Darling / You Broke my Heart in 17 Pla US $2.46 [0 bids]
1h
AUDIOPHILE SWISS ONLY PLAN B3 FUNKY HAMMOND JAZZ CD MOVE US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
7" Vinyl Record, Martika, I feel the earth move / Alibis, US $2.46 [0 bids]
Bernard Butler People Move On by Bernard Butler (CD, Apr-1998, Creation US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
JOHNNY NASH-Hold Me Tight/Let's Move And Groove Together 7" VINYL RECORD G 30 US $4.90 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Au Revoir Simone - Move In Spectrums [Vinyl New] US $19.53 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Olivia Newton-John-Make a Move On Me/Falling-MCA-52000 PicSl VG+ 45 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Cut N Move "Get Serious" Hip Hop CLUB DANCE 1991 Vinyl 12" single record EX US $2.99 [0 bids]
Meriwether , Audio CD, Make Your Move US $7.09 Buy It Now 2h 34m
1989 Cliff Richard - The Best Of Me/Move It/Lindsey Jane (EMI) (EM 92 A) US $2.44 [0 bids]
Harry Hippy / Mexicano ?- When A Man Loves A Woman / Move Up Starsky ORIG UK 7" US $6.54 Buy It Now 2h 54m
JEAN-LOUIS RASSINFOS - SECOND MOVE [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $13.88 Buy It Now 3h 2m
NEW FLESH FOR OLD Stick & Move 12" NEW VINYL Big Dada US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
STEVE GIBBONS BAND ( EX MOVE ) Johnny Cool Speed Kills RARE BELGIUM 7" PS 1975 US $26.79 Buy It Now 3h 9m
The Chantays Instrumental Pipeline/Move It London american dot 1963 HLD 9696 US $17.68 Buy It Now 3h 24m
THE MOVE - 7" Platinum Disc - BLACKBERRY WAY US $114.72 Buy It Now 3h 34m
MOVE - 7" Single - Night Of Fear/Disturbance, EX+ US $11.46 Buy It Now 3h 38m
SHALAMAR - Make That Move - 1980 UK 7" vinyl single US $11.46 Buy It Now 3h 41m
Gene Farrow "Move Your Body" Great Oz 7" US $7.19 Buy It Now 3h 52m
Move Your Skin And Why Not? MUSIC CD US $7.87 Buy It Now 3h 57m
HIROMI UEHARA: THE TRIO PROJECT-MOVE: LIMITED EDITION-JAPAN PLATINUM SHM-CD H66 US $38.50 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Donavon Frankenreiter - Move By Yourself - CD US $1.80 Buy It Now 4h 6m
The Chantays(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Pipeline / Move It-London-HLD 9696-UK-Ex/Ex- US $22.93 Buy It Now 4h 11m
The Chantays(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Pipeline / Move It-London-HLD 9696-UK-Ex/VG+ US $16.37 Buy It Now 4h 11m
Phyllis Nelson(7" Vinyl P/S)Move Closer-Carrere-CAR 337-UK-VG+/VG US $6.54 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Martika(7" Vinyl P/S)I Feel The Earth Move-CBS-655294 7-UK-VG+/VG+ US $6.54 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Phyllis Nelson(7" Vinyl P/S)Move Closer-Carrere-CAR 337-UK-Ex/Ex US $6.54 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Tracey Ullman(7" Vinyl P/S)Move Over Darling-Stiff-BUY 195-UK-Ex-/VG+ US $6.54 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Tracey Ullman(7" Vinyl P/S)Move Over Darling-Stiff-BUY 195-UK-VG+/VG+ US $6.54 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Move EP [EP] by Moby (CD, Aug-1993, Elektra (Label)) US $0.01 [0 bids]
(DO430) Move In Stereo (Liv Ullman On Drums) - Digital Release- 2005 CD US $4.90 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Cathy Dennis - Move to This (1991) US $4.90 Buy It Now 4h 29m
GRASS ROOTS move along LP 11 track factory sample sticker on side 1 label (spb1 US $24.09 Buy It Now 4h 31m
CULTURE CLUB "Move Away" / "Sexuality" Vinyl 45 Record PS EX 1986 Stereo US $3.10 [0 bids]
Donavon Frankenreiter - Move By Yourself Japan CD+2 NEW US $18.90 Buy It Now 4h 36m
MOVE ALONG - Junior Tucker (DB525) US $6.54 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Fashion "Move On" Terrific Oz 7" US $7.19 Buy It Now 4h 38m
Move It Like This/Break Away [Single] by Baha Men (CD, Feb-2002, S-Curve (USA)) US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Janis Joplin Move Over Box Set 7" vinyl Brand New RSD Record Store Day US $32.95 Buy It Now 4h 40m
LALO SCHIFRIN MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE / JIM ON THE MOVE 1966 7"45 DOT DOH-252 VG/VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 44m
SEALED LP On The Move RARE Chevy SS Muscle Car Jacket WARWICK Campbel BURT US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 59m
MIKE HUFFMAN Nashville Edition 45 GONNA MOVE ON SOUTH /BEFORE THIS DAY ENDS~VG++ US $3.00 Buy It Now 5h
THE CHAMBERS BROTHERS Avco LP RIGHT MOVE US $15.77 Buy It Now 5h 10m
BANANARAMA -Move In My Direction- 7" Single Angel City US $5.72 Buy It Now 5h 25m
Shamen 12" x 3 move any mountain love sex intelligence en-tct US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 40m
northern soul WILLIE HOBBS AND THE DIRTE FOUR On The Move MERCURY M- Listen!! US $30.00 Buy It Now 5h 50m
HIROMI THE TRIO PROJECT-MOVE LIVE IN TOKYO--JAPAN DVD M13 US $59.50 Buy It Now 5h 51m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - MOVE RIGHT OUT - RICK ASTLEY - PB44407 US $11.46 Buy It Now 5h 53m
45 w/PS The Dave Clark Five: Catch Us If You Can (b/w On The Move); Orig Epic M- US $19.99 [0 bids]
6h
DIRTY PROJECTORS-STILLNESS IS THE MOVE-CD PROMO US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 2m
SUPER STAR MOVE UP HUTCH UK ORIG ANSWER RECORD TO MEXICANO MOVE UP STARSKY!! US $11.05 Buy It Now 6h 2m
THE CONTOURS Do You Love Me / Move Mr. Man 45RPM 1962 GORDY G-7005 US $10.99 Buy It Now 6h 3m
B.B. KING "NEVER MAKE A MOVE TOO SOON" / "LET ME MAKE YOU CRY" 7" 45 1978 US $2.99 Buy It Now 6h 5m
We Won't Move - Songs Of The Tenants' Movement-VARIOUS-(folk vinyl LP)-FOLKWAYS US $4.95 [0 bids]
Move It! by Reel 2 Real (CD, Jan-1999, Strictly Rhythm Records) US $0.99 Buy It Now 6h 18m
Move - Hiromi US $14.48 Buy It Now 6h 18m
DAVID BOWIE-ASHES TO ASHES / MOVE ON 1980 RCA RECORDS 7" 45 UK IMPORT VG++ US $13.99 Buy It Now 6h 23m
ROY WOOD - MUSTARD - WIZZARD - THE MOVE US $14.73 Buy It Now 6h 25m
Culture Club "Move Away" Scarce PS 7" US $5.39 Buy It Now 6h 29m
The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move by Infectious Grooves (CD, Sep-1991,... US $10.00 [0 bids]
Jimmie & Leon Short 78rpm Decca #46077 Kentucky b/w Move It On Over US $19.99 [0 bids]
SLADE SLAYED? ~ POLYDOR VINYL GUDBUY T'JANE, MAMA WEER ALL CRAZEE NOW, MOVE OVER US $1.62 [1 bids]
America: Your Move LP VG++/NM Canada Capitol ST 12277 US $5.99 Buy It Now 6h 48m
Jimmy Dockett - Count Your Blessings And Move On US $2.95 [0 bids]
Bribosia - FREE MOVE Regular / Disco Version - Totem 4727 US $1.95 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN & TENNILLE MAKE YOUT MOVE SEALED MINT VINYL Lp CVR EX US $3.99 [0 bids]
MARTIKA - I Feel The Earth Move - 1989 UK 3-track vinyl 12" single US $12.44 Buy It Now 7h 8m
Johnny Nash: Let's Move & Groove (Together) / Understanding 45 - Soul US $5.00 Buy It Now 7h 10m
SOUL R&B 45 JOHNNY NASH LET'S MOVE AND GROOVE (TOGETHER)/UNDERSTANDING VG++ US $7.99 [0 bids]
POLYDOR 60s rock GERMAN 45 THE MOVE - Wild Tiger Woman + Omnibus US $4.00 [0 bids]
JANIS JOPLIN - MOVE OVER 7 " 45 rpm (Vinyl RSD 2011) - Singles Box / Ltd.EDITION US $38.99 Buy It Now 7h 20m
Move Somethin', Talib Kweli & Hi Tek, New Single, Explicit Lyrics, Remixes US $6.23 Buy It Now 7h 20m
Technotronic(7" Vinyl P/S)Move That Body-ARS Clip---Netherlands-Ex/Ex US $10.49 Buy It Now 7h 20m
HANK WILLIAMS Three HANKS "Move It On Over" PROMO CD US $8.24 Buy It Now 7h 20m
Hit House(7" Vinyl P/S)Move Your Feet To The Rhythm Of The Beat-UK-VG/VG US $7.49 Buy It Now 7h 21m
Olivia Newton-John Make A Move On Me / Falling 45 VG+ Juke Box US $4.95 Buy It Now 7h 21m
Animotion Room To Move 45 NM 871 418-7 1988 US $7.95 Buy It Now 7h 25m
Culture Club Move Away / Sexuality 45 NM US $10.95 Buy It Now 7h 25m
CATHY DENNIS MOVE TO THIS ( 1991 CASSETTE TAPE NEW ) US $6.54 Buy It Now 7h 26m
CULTURE CLUB move away / sexuality 7" Mint- 34-05847 Vinyl 1986 Record 45 US $8.00 Buy It Now 7h 27m
Stray Move It UK Press US $20.51 [8 bids]
The Zombies / She's Coming Home / I Must Move / Rare 1965 Orig /Play Tested / VG US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 39m
STEPHEN ALEXANDERSEN let the music move me LP Mint- WHR 1001 Vinyl 1977 Record US $7.20 Buy It Now 7h 42m
LP V/A Move Rhythm King Compilation 1987 US $1.62 [1 bids]
Move - Jong Shin,Yoon New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $26.17 Buy It Now 7h 46m
Young MC - Bust A Move / Got More Rhymes 12" Single US $0.99 [1 bids]
Trickster(12" Vinyl)Move On Up-AM:PM---Ex/New (UNPLAYED) US $21.29 Buy It Now 7h 59m
Sartorello(12" Vinyl P/S)Move Baby Move-X Multiply--UK-Ex/New (UNPLAYED) US $18.01 Buy It Now 7h 59m
Tom Jones Move Closer 1989 PROMO DJ RADIO CD Single US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 17m
Soul 45 LYNN WHITE I Didn't Make My Move Too Soon on Bust Out US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 18m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - TRACEY ULLMAN - MOVE OVER DARLING - BUY 195 US $11.46 Buy It Now 8h 39m
THE MOVE Fire Brigade 7" NICE 1968 UK REGAL ZONOPHONE RZ 3005 US $8.11 Buy It Now 8h 42m
Jacob Banks - Move With You BRAND NEW UNRELEASED Promo CD Single US $2.51 [2 bids]
Various Artists Move Into Soul Vol 6 10 Track Vinyl Album US $15.96 Buy It Now 8h 43m
Various Artists Move Into Soul Vol 5 10 Track Vinyl Album US $19.24 Buy It Now 8h 44m
SLIM,LANGHORNE & TH-WAY WE MOVE CD NEW US $14.02 Buy It Now 8h 46m
Q-TIP-MOVE (RARE 2 TRACK US DJ PROMO CD SINGLE 2008) J DILLA INSTRUMENTAL WK2 US $24.99 Buy It Now 8h 48m
THOMAS FEHLMANN Gute RMX 12" NEW VINYL Kompakt Move D US $15.99 Buy It Now 8h 49m
Harlequin - One False Move [CD New] US $17.19 Buy It Now 8h 50m

More places to buy THE MOVE music online Buy THE MOVE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE MOVE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE MOVE Message From the Country ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(17%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(39%)

THE MOVE Message From the Country reviews

Review by Tom Ozric
3 stars The Move - Message From The Country - an album I've had for many years, complete with a beautiful psychedelic painting on the cover (with a Middle-Eastern guy playing a sitar on a plateau with a 'bomber' pidgeon coming in to land on a yellow-brick runway between the cliffs - the best way I can put it, anyway !!!). Art-work aside, for me, this album is an uneven mix of styles, proving mastermind Roy Wood's philosophy of 'never repeating the same musical style twice' on an album. This is the 2nd album of the year where future-legend Jeff Lynne had hopped on board, and along with mainstay Drummer Bev Bevan and the ever eclectic Wood, the seeds of the highly acclaimed band, ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA (E.L.O.), were sown. The stunning title track which opens the record could be easily mistaken for an E.L.O. track - it certainly has that distinctive sound and production. Throughout the album, Roy W is the adventurous musician, tackling such instruments as the Oboe, Recorders, Clarinet, Saxes, Bassoon, Guitars and I have to mention here that he plays the Bass - he gets a sound that is soooo BIG and grungey - best show- cased on the excellent tune 'It Wasn't My Idea To Dance', completely de-tuned and up-front (step aside, Geezer B !). The guy is talented, plays all these instruments well, but that Bass sound...... Anyway, the weaker moments of the album come in the form of Elvis and Johnny Cash impersonations - this is obvious on 'Don't Mess Me Up' and 'Ben Crawley Steel Company'. The R'n'R moments are too straight forward to stir up my neurons, and the pastiche of a song from the 30's 'My Marge', I can live without, but the handful of decent tunes (and that Bass) keeps me from relegating this album to the garage. It certainly has its moments - 3 stars, just.

Send comments to Tom Ozric (BETA) | Report this review (#174732) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 21, 2008

Review by Chicapah
4 stars Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne spent the majority of their time in 1970-71 working on their studio tans. I doubt that they saw the light of day much, if ever. The reason is that they were simultaneously recording the final two Move albums, a handful of singles and the debut LP of their dream project, The Electric Light Orchestra. Rick Price, bassist on "Looking On," dropped out (to go make a living) before this album was finished so it's really the Jeff & Roy show with drummer Bev Bevan adding his questionable talents to the tracks. The most obvious difference between "Message from the Country" and "No Answer" by ELO is the fact that Wood reserved his one-man horn section for the former and relegated his cello/violin expertise to the latter. Plus, ELO was a much more serious, ambitious affair whereas the realm of The Move was more of a musical playground where they could relax and have some fun as they experimented with all sorts of eclectic ideas and studio techniques. Their "let's let our muses run wild" attitude is what makes this recording sound different from their previous albums and such a unique joy to hear.

I'm pleased that the reissued version includes what made up the two vinyl LPs I own, the original U.S. release on Capitol (with the cool green cover art shown here) and the '72 "Split Ends" on the United Artists label (with more fantastic cover art I wish you could see) that left out the novelty cuts but included the five hard-to-find singles on it. Unlike the other Move reissues, these bonus tracks are well worth having. I'll explain why further down the road.

The grandiose title song is a fitting anthem for the journey the listener is about to embark on. It has thickly-layered electric guitars, a huge Chris Squire-like bass tone, a melodic refrain that'll stick to the roof of your brain for days and a deep chorus of ahhs (they must have spent hours doing nothing but stacking their vocals) that echo at the finish like a host of angels marching through the Alps. I've read where a lot of fans think this track sounds a lot like ELO but I just consider it to be primo Jeff Lynne, whose individual style permeates everything he gets involved with. The next track is yet another of my all-time Move favorites, the killer rocker "Ella James." Another great melody, integral guitar/bass riffs and a hot piano ride cruising atop one of Bev Bevan's better drum performances make this an outstanding song to cherish. It may not be prog, exactly, but quality rock & roll on this level is nothing to sniff at and shouldn't be dismissed or taken for granted.

Strong, percussive finger picking on the acoustic guitars render the drums unnecessary on the haunting, proggish ballad "No Time" and it works like a charm. The mysterious, airy atmosphere is a precursor to what ELO would create years later on "Eldorado" but Wood's multiple recorders and some interesting 3-part harmonies give this tune its own identity. The group's affinity for authentic rockabilly is in evidence several times on this album and the whimsical "Don't Mess Me Up" with Bev bestowing an admirable Elvis impersonation on the lead vocal gives Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" a run for its money. The Jordanaires-styled background harmonies and the pristine guitar solo are terrific, too. And, speaking of acoustic finger-picking, Roy amazes again on the lively intro to "Until Your Mama's Gone" before Bev comes rumbling in with a beat that resembles that of a trotting camel. Somehow it fits, though, and this grin-inducing tune features the fat RW horn section and what I can only describe as the anti-guitar lead.

What you encounter next are probably overdubbed tracks of Wood's oboes but to me they still sound like snake-charmer horns chattering away over a descending bass line on the beginning of the strange "It Wasn't My Idea to Dance." Here Roy delivers a sinister vocal as he warbles very abstract lyrics like "the people throwing pennies in my soup/expecting me to be ashamed of you" as if he were strolling through some Gothic castle wearing a black cape. (Okay, that's how I would've shot the video). This marks the nadir of the album for me, especially the frenzied horn-a-thon that spins through the ending, but at least Bev's sloppy drums are buried in the mix. "The Minister" brightens things up considerably with its driving beat, a big, full chorale on the bridge and a repeating tremolo guitar riff that is slightly Beatle-ish. The resonating baritone sax (one of Wood's favorite weapons) booms beneath the slithering horns at the finale.

One of The Move's most endearing characteristics is their unfailing sense of humor which keeps them from taking themselves too seriously. "Ben Crawley Steel Company" is an excellent example of that playfulness. If it wasn't so darn funny it'd be pathetic but you'll probably end up enjoying its absurdity in spite of your prog sensibilities. It's an inspired send-up of Country & Western where Bev's macho baritone delivers a Johnny Cash parody that is priceless. The pulsating, rolling groove of "The Words of Aaron" pulls you out of your chuckle hangover with a very dramatic sounding arrangement that emphasizes the electric piano in a rare appearance. If I have a complaint it's that they get a little carried away with the high-pitched voices on the chorus that take them perilously close to Bee Gees range. As is their wont they overindulge and go crazy with Roy's dueling recorders before the fadeout and the brief coda is rather pointless. At this juncture it's an ideal time for the nostalgic 30s flavor of "My Marge," a short ditty performed in the same spirit of the Beatles' "When I'm 64" except that Wood performs a spot-on, crooned-through-a-megaphone imitation of Rudy Vallee to beat the band. Nice clarinet, as well.

As I mentioned earlier, the bonus tracks truly are a bonus in this case as they are some of the best and most concise songs The Move ever recorded. The high-spirited "Tonight," with its folksy, strumming acoustic guitars, is an irresistibly infectious tune with an unforgettable romantic hook line of "I'll be over tonight/if you say you might." and a heavy half-time segment in the middle that keeps it from being too lightweight. The goofy "Chinatown" starts predictably with a Chinese gong (probably Bev's idea) and, while there's no quarrel about its catchiness, it's a kind of throwback to the group's early Top 40 approach to songwriting and I'd rather they didn't go back there. (Let's leave well enough alone, shall we?) The rockabilly vibe is back with a vengeance on "Down on the Bay" and it is true to a fault when it comes to recreating the unadulterated rock & roll spirit of the late 50s/early 60s. Roy offers up his most authentic Chuck Berry licks and the song steamrolls from the tight start to the loose finish where Elvis's ghost can be heard mumbling incoherently in the background. Yeah, the rampant duck call is annoying but that's just how these guys did their business. Let 'em have their quirks, I say.

If you don't have a copy of the original "Do Ya" in your stash of music then I feel sorry for you. It is honest-to-God metallic proto-punk at its finest. Jeff cleaned it up considerably for ELO later on but this version is the unsanitized real deal and it kicks serious tail. I mean, what's not to like? (Except perhaps Bev's clumsy, awkward drumming but by now you gotta be used to that). They sum up the frustrated, what-do-you-want-from-me attitude of the song during the fadeout with an exasperated "Look out, baby, there's a plane a comin'." The phrase means nothing and everything at the same time. In one last blast from the past the boys effectively reproduce the raw aura of Sam Phillip's Sun Record studios to a tee with the dance floor-stomping, contagious "California Man." Here Lynne sounds like a young Jerry Lee Lewis with both his voice and his piano pounding as he trades verses with the gravelly, growling singing style of Wood. It's a rip-roarin' track that fires the full brunt of the powerful RW horns at you and leaves you begging for more. The remaining three tracks are alternate (i.e. not as good) takes of previously heard tunes. 'Nuff said.

I guess the "Message from the Country" we fans received in late 1971 was that, sadly, there would be no more albums coming from The Move. They evolved into The Electric Light Orchestra for better or for worse and now we have only their catalogue of eclectic songs for future generations to know them by. But, thanks in no small part to this website, they'll not be forgotten. They were progressive in the sense that they knew no boundaries to their imaginations and their who-cares-what-the-record- executives-think mindset inspired many prog artists of that era to toss caution to the wind and blaze their own individual trail off the beaten highway. I, for one, am eternally thankful for their splendid legacy.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#175073) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Now a trio, but soon to be an orchestra

Having spent virtually their entire existence on the Regal Zonophone (and its subsequent names) label, The Move moved to Harvest for their fourth and final album plus three singles. This was primarily due to Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne's preoccupation with their Electric Light Orchestra project, the Move's being kept alive only due to delays in implementing ELO. Indeed, the lines between The Move and ELO became even more blurred, with recording sessions including songs destined for both bands. By this time, the Move were down to a core trio (bassist Rick Price left during the recording of the album, with Wood re-recording the bass parts), the third member being drummer Bev Bevan.

"Message from the country" was released in the same year as the previous "Looking on", that album having been virtually ignored by the record label, the pundits and the fans alike. "Message.." fared little better, being rapidly swallowed up by the hype surrounding the launch of ELO in 1972.

"Message.." was the first album not to contain any hit singles whatsoever, although the band did release the song "Tonight"* separately around the same time. While up to this point each Move album had demonstrated significant progress from the last, this final album saw the band at best standing still, and perhaps even regressing. That in itself is not a bad thing, as they had made fine music throughout their career. "Message from the country" may have been a deliberate effort, especially by Wood, to make an album which was not ELO. Songs such as "Ella James" are heavy pop rock numbers with a particular emphasis on the lead guitar riff. Jeff Lynne on the other hand appears to have been far more inclined to approach both projects in the same way. "No time" could have been lifted from either ELO's first album, or with a bit more orchestration, from "Eldorado". Lynne's Beatles sympathies are displayed loud and clear, the floating sounds of the whistle adding a suitably psychedelic atmosphere.

The distinction between the songs of Wood and those of Lynne is far more noticeable here than anywhere else, including the first ELO album. Lynne's "The words of Aaron" for example has little in common with anything Wood ever wrote for the Move, although it does offer an early pointer towards the immediate post-Wood ELO albums. The title track, also written by Lynne, could have featured on albums such as "ELO2" or "On the third day", while offering something a little closer to the adventurous proto-prog of the Move's previous pair of albums.

We reach something of a low point with "Don't mess me up", an unashamed Elvis impersonation (by Bevan) which for me simply indicates that the guys were saving their best material for ELO. "Until your moma's gone" shares the same lack of imagination; it is highly unlikely that such an ordinary song would have made it onto any of the preceding albums.

While "Message from the country" does contain some good material, it is an album by a band being pulled in many directions. Wood and Lynne seem at odds with each other on the direction they want to take, while both are simultaneously trying to keep the spirit of The Move alive. With the major distraction of the concurrent ELO debut occupying their minds it is understandable that this album should have the feel of a contractual obligation. For some, this was the band's best album, for me it is a decent, but no more, end to the band's short life.

* "Tonight" reach number 11 in the UK chart. It was followed by the minor hit "Chinatown" then the Move's final single, "California Man" which broke into the top 10. "California man" was much more an indication of the way Wood would go after leaving ELO in both solo terms and with Wizzard. These songs are all included on the expanded CD version of this album.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#187770) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 03, 2008

3 stars As a longtime fan of early Electric Light Orchestra, I have decided to work my way through the catalog of their precurser band, The Move. The first disc I have chosen is MESSAGE FROM THE COUNTRY, which bears the most resemblance with NO ANSWER the first ELO release. There are 4 great tunes here. ... (read more)

Report this review (#641543) | Posted by mohaveman | Sunday, February 26, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Message from the Country is no doubt The Move's best studio project considering that the material wasnt mostly cut from live recordings like Shazam or a collection of a year and a half's work like their debut. Its an album that showcases them at the peak of their musical creativity as they draw i ... (read more)

Report this review (#174719) | Posted by cohen34 | Saturday, June 21, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE MOVE "Message From the Country"