THE MOVE

- Trevor Burton / guitars, bass, vocals
- Chris Ace Kefford / bass, vocals
- Bev Bevan / drums, vocals

LP: March 1968: Regal Zonophone

LP/ MC: With the title Flowers In The Rain exist a German edition for Star Power series (with diverse cover) (LP cat code 25 102-5 B and MC cat code 23 286-8 MB) in this version the label is Cube/ Intercord (but the years of this new issued is not specified. Is specified, however, that all the tracks are from 1968 except 3 and 6 that are from 1967)

CD: Remastered by Repertoire Records in 1998 with 16 bonus tracks noted with * in track listing.

Thanks to chicapah for the addition
and to mandrakeroot for the last updates

THE MOVE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE MOVE The Move Music

Magnetic Waves of Sound: Best of the MoveMagnetic Waves of Sound: Best of the Move
Import · Remastered
Esoteric 2017
Move: Remastered & Expanded Deluxe EditionMove: Remastered & Expanded Deluxe Edition
Cherry Red 2016
Imports 2016
Great Move! The Best of the MoveGreat Move! The Best of the Move
Capitol 1994

Hank Williams, JR.: Major Moves LP USD $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 29m
THE ROLLING STONES poison ivy/money/you better move on ISRAELI ISRAEL EP USD $600.00 Buy It Now 2h 31m
NEW Bad Boys ( Move In Silence) (Audio CD) USD $22.66 Buy It Now 2h 36m
DANCE single: Funky Elements Nite Moves/Fire & Ice 12" USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 38m
THE SHAMEN Move any Mountain BEAT EDIT PROMO CD Single USD $23.74 Buy It Now 2h 40m
The Film Music of George Dreyfus CD, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, MOVE MD 3098 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 40m
SOUL 12": Move, Clap & Stomp BLACK BARRY "CLIP" Greco USD $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 40m
R&B 12": Mike Lee Torris IT'S IN THE WAY THAT YOU MOVE USD $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Makin The People Move - Apostles (CD Used Very Good) USD $7.11 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs Wooly Bully & Ain't Gonna Move 7" 45 RPM USD $1.20 [0 bids]
Sparrow/Your Explosion My Mind - Move/Eyeball Kick [Vinyl New] USD $6.32 Buy It Now 2h 46m
D.J.H. feat: Stefy Move Your Love 7" Vinyl Single USD $6.17 Buy It Now 2h 46m
YES: Your Move / Clap 45 Rock & Pop USD $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Pennied Days - Night Moves 887828033225 (CD Used Very Good) USD $10.91 Buy It Now 2h 50m
CLIFF RICHARD and the Drifters - MOVE IT! 1959 VINYL GOOD USD $0.62 [1 bids]
Amy Wadge - No Sudden Moves CD Album SIGNED BY AMY (2006) Rock 13 Tracks USD $36.97 Buy It Now 2h 53m
NEW Move This (Audio CD) USD $20.39 Buy It Now 2h 54m
RIVERSIDE (PINK FLOYD, CAMEL, PORCUPINE TREE, GENESIS)-Rapid Eye Move+AUTOGRAPHS USD $129.99 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves LP ST-11557 (Capitol, 1976) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
THE MOVE "SHAZAM" VINYL LP STEREO A&M RECORDS SP-3181 NR. MT. MINUS ORIG. SHRINK USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 58m
George & Destroyers Thorogood - Move It On Over [Vinyl New] USD $18.17 Buy It Now 3h
Fifth Circuit Sexy Move Maker 12 Inch Vinyl Classic 1994 House Rare USD $3.64 [0 bids]
3h
Hank Williams - Move It On Over ORIGINAL MGM 45 Single / EX / 1950 / K10033 USD $13.99 [1 bids]
1989 Cliff Richard - The Best Of Me/Move It/Lindsey Jane (EMI) (EM 92 A) USD $1.23 [0 bids]
MOVE WITH THE GROOVE: HARDCORE CHICAGO SOUL 1962-1970: [USED CD] USD $13.60 Buy It Now 3h 11m
THE CHAMBERS BROTHERS right move AV-69003 STEREO LP psych soul on AVCO Excellent USD $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Rock Promo 45 Still Creek Band - Can I Move You / Can I Move You On Mca Records USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 17m
CD ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS Move Aong CANADA USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Make My Move - Jason Blaine (CD Used Very Good) USD $10.53 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Rock 45 The Grass Roots - Move Along / The Runway On Dunhill USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Move Along by The All-American Rejects (CD, Jul-2005, Interscope (USA)) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 28m
THE MOVE-TONIGHT/DON'T MESS ME UP YUGOSLAVIAN 7'' PS 1971 UNIQUE COVER USD $10.00 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Martika - I Feel The Earth Move - CBS Records Picture Sleeve 7" Single 655294 7 USD $1.84 Buy It Now 3h 31m
SWING THIS BABY + ROYAL CROWN REVUE / MUGZY'S MOVE - (2) SWING CD'S - 1990'S USD $17.95 Buy It Now 3h 31m
USED (VG) It Still Moves [Vinyl] (2008) USD $37.78 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Let Zion Move Music Of The Shakers by Various Artists 1999 2 CD Set Sealed LN USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Move It On Over - George & Destroyers Thorogood 011661917 (Vinyl Used Very Good) USD $16.93 Buy It Now 3h 38m
NEW SEALED MARTIKA: I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE CASSETTE SINGLE, GREAT MUSIC TAPE USD $0.99 Buy It Now 3h 40m
The Dave Clark Five 45 Catch Us If You Can / On The Move 1965 Epic Vinyl Record USD $4.74 Buy It Now 3h 47m
BLACKWELL Put The Funk Back-Move Your Ass Gringo Rampage 7" 1978 Excellent USD $1.84 Buy It Now 3h 47m
Maude Get On The Move 12" Emotive Records 1990 USD $18.50 Buy It Now 3h 51m
TECHNOTRONIC Move that Body (1990 DUTCH 7" vinyl single) VG+/EX USD $2.46 Buy It Now 3h 52m
CULTURE CLUB MOVE AWAY 12 INCH VINYL 296 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 53m
v/a REMEMBER THE 60'S (3 DISCS)-PROCOL HARUM/TROGGS/BYRDS/ZOMBIES/MOVE/ETC LP USD $15.98 Buy It Now 3h 56m
AMERICA "YOUR MOVE" CASSETTE TAPE SPAIN RARE! NEW & SEALED! USD $5.95 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Jerry Abbott & Main Streeters Get a Move on Cowboy 78 Western Pop Standard 2058 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Carole King 2 LP Lot - Music + Tapestry (I Feel the Earth Move, Natural Woman) USD $4.31 Buy It Now 4h 2m
CHARLES MINGUS/MINGUS MOVES non JPN P13517 USD $14.00 Buy It Now 4h 2m
JOE THOMAS MAKE YOUR MOVE NM 1979 WLP promo LRC TK flute funk jazz get on back USD $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
ROY WOOD / WIZZARD / THE MOVE " FOREVER " EX VINTAGE 45 RPM USD $0.62 [0 bids]
Ermmm... 1994 Make The First Move Rare Rosgill, Penrith U.K. Heavy-Metal Demo USD $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 3m
JAMES VINCENT MCMORROW we move solo version VINYL LP rsd black friday 2016 USA USD $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 4m
Move It On Over - George & Destroyers Thorogood (2013, Vinyl New) USD $21.44 Buy It Now 4h 4m
Jason Blaine - Make My Move [CD New] USD $10.35 Buy It Now 4h 4m
PRISM Second Thoughts/Second Move UPGH-1003 CD JAPAN NEW SACD USD $62.30 Buy It Now 4h 8m
All American Rejects - Move Along - UK Special Edition CD USD $1.22 [0 bids]
Move On by Tracy Nelson (CD, Jul-1996, Rounder Select) USD $0.99 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Make My Move - Jason Blaine (2008, CD New) USD $10.02 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Chick Webb FDR Jones Roosevelt Ella Fitzgerald Jazz Decca 2105 I Love Each Move USD $19.95 Buy It Now 4h 23m
RICK ASTLEY - Move Right Out - CD Single 1991 USD $3.64 Buy It Now 4h 25m
I'm Gonna Move, Vol. 3 By Benny Joy Vinyl LP Record 2009 NEW USD $15.97 Buy It Now 4h 28m
ELTON JOHN blue moves Japan MINI LP SHM-CD (2cd) USD $39.99 [0 bids]
Q. M. G. (Quest Music Group) - Paid Dues Made Moves [CD New] USD $17.92 Buy It Now 4h 42m
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet BandNight Moves Vinyl Lp Record NM Nice In Shrink USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 44m
Finest Hour Make That Move vinyl LP 1989 VG+ Polydor Records Promo Invincible USD $8.95 Buy It Now 4h 44m
HAPPY HARDCORE - KINECTIC POWER - POWER MOVE - I KNOW - 1995. USD $4.94 [0 bids]
AMERICA-YOUR MOVE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed G00 USD $25.99 Buy It Now 4h 45m
'85 CSA LOVERS ROCK 12" KEITH DOUGLAS YOU MOVE ME/ANGEL ? USD $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 46m
VINYL 12" SINGLE - PHYLLIS NELSON - MOVE CLOSER - CART337 USD $12.33 Buy It Now 4h 46m
12" Disco WEST STREET MOB Let's Dance(Make Your Body Move) / Monster Jam SH 559 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Elton John : Blue Moves CD (1990) USD $7.46 Buy It Now 4h 51m
THE JAMAICA GIRLS~ON THE MOVE~BOOGIE FUNK CLASSIC 12" *NEAR MINT PROMO COPY* USD $2.97 Buy It Now 4h 54m
CLIFF RICHARD - MOVE IT - ORIGINAL UK R 'N' R 45RPM SINGLE USD $4.92 [0 bids]
VARIOUS: African Moves LP (2 LPs, few sm stains oc, sl cw) African USD $20.00 Buy It Now 4h 56m
THE JACKSON 5: Little Bitty Pretty One/ If I have To Move A Mountain (45) - VG+ USD $1.99 Buy It Now 4h 56m
Major Matt Mason Move Rock EX+ 1980s 7 " INCH 45RPM USD $3.39 [0 bids]
5h
Hollies LP hollies move on German Hansa original Press NICE COPY USD $4.09 [2 bids]
It Still Moves by My Morning Jacket (CD, 2003, ATO (USA)) USD $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
MASTERS OF CEREMONY: Master Move / Instro 12 Rap/Hip-Hop USD $12.00 Buy It Now 5h 7m
E 00/000/0000 12" NEW VINYL Deep Moves Shlomo USD $15.99 Buy It Now 5h 8m
FAINT, Alexander - Move - CD (6 track CD single) USD $2.58 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Chantay's Move It/Pipeline 45 RPM Dot Records EX surf rock w/ Sleeve USD $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 11m
RECORD Album ON THE MOVE Dionne Warwick Glen Campbell Burt Bacharach CBS Chevy USD $9.00 Buy It Now 5h 12m
VICTORIANS: Lovin / Move in a Little Closer ARNOLD J NYC Garage 45 NM Stock USD $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 13m
VG++ 1976 Bob Seger Night Moves LP Album USD $8.50 [5 bids]
Move Like a Dancer, , New USD $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 20m
New Move (self-titled) - New Move (CD Slipcase, 2015, ADA) USD $13.95 Buy It Now 5h 21m
NEW House: The Vocal Session - Move Your Body! (Audio CD) USD $18.12 Buy It Now 5h 21m
DEL AMITRI - Move Away Jimmy Blue (1990 Ltd Edn Etched Single-Sided 4 trk 12") USD $4.92 [0 bids]
Jr. Walker & All Stars Do You See My Love For You Growing~Groove Move 45 Record USD $5.00 [0 bids]
(GX563) Spacek, How Do I Move / Getaway - 2001 DJ CD USD $3.69 Buy It Now 5h 24m
ELTON JOHN Blue Moves 2LP Set+inner sleeves MCA 1976 USD $11.10 Buy It Now 5h 27m
MOVE ON UP VOLUME 2 - THE VERY BEST OF NORTHERN SOUL Various Artists NEW 3x CD USD $16.03 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Country 45 Trisha Yearwood - Walkaway Joe / You Don'T Have To Move That Mountain USD $3.00 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Move Your Body (House Anthem)-JohnnY VICIOUS NEW CD USD $4.78 Buy It Now 5h 32m
Soul Promo Nm! 45 Eq - Let'S Make A Move / Let'S Make A Move On Atlantic USD $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 33m
Move 45 Night Of Fear 1966 NM Early ELO Wayne-Wood UK # 6 Canada Deram 109 USD $24.50 Buy It Now 5h 34m
Culture Club; Move Away - Extended Version 12" Single Virgin/Epic Records USD $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 35m
R&B Nm! 45 King James & Mel - Hunchback / You Better Move On On Hal Records, Inc USD $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 37m
THE MOVE - GREATEST HITS VOLUME 1 - 1970s HALLMARK AUDIO CASSETTE (PAPER LABEL) USD $6.17 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE MOVE music online Buy THE MOVE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

THE MOVE The Move ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(17%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(24%)

THE MOVE The Move reviews

Review by Chicapah
2 stars In the cinematic classic "This is Spinal Tap" there's a segment during which the mock-documentary takes a look back at the group's simple beginnings by showing a clip of their appearance on a far-out, Shindig-like program, performing their first hit, "(Listen to the) Flower People." It's embarrassingly silly and horribly dated. In real life, however, that scenario hits uncomfortably close to home for The Move's debut LP. Somewhat like their U.S. counterparts, the nightclub act Paul Revere & the Raiders, the band was able to consistently scale the pop charts but no one took them very seriously. Roy, Carl, Trevor, Bev and "Ace" were just young, fledgling musicians playing in Birmingham dives when they got discovered by manager Tony Secunda. He goaded them to garner public visibility by pulling sensational stunts like smashing TV sets on stage with axes and slandering the prime minister with naughty photos. He also encouraged leader Roy Wood to write radio-friendly songs that sounded like what was "happening" on the Top 40. The problem with that tactic is that by the time you get the tune on the airwaves the trend you're aping is already on the way out so you end up following popular culture instead of leading it. Like bubblegum music, a catchy ditty would often get you into the higher echelons of the charts but few would remember the song a year later.

Recorded in late 1967 and released early the following year, this album has very little to do with anything vaguely related to progressive rock and is only listed on this site because of the band's later three studio projects. Its only usefulness is to demonstrate how far the group had to go to be able to make the excellent proto-prog music they ended up creating. So make no mistake, it's not very good and I wouldn't recommend that anyone except die-hard fans shell out their hard-earned moola for it. I bought it a long time ago, thinking their early stuff might be interesting. Wrong. "Then why review an album you don't like?" some may ask. My answer is that in the genre of progressive rock there are few recordings that don't have at least some redeeming qualities to elevate it above the mundane tastes of the rabble of society so most of my critiques tend to praise rather than bury. Therefore, when I get an opportunity to be sarcastic and poke good-natured fun at a band I truly adore I'm not about to let my chance go by. So consider yourself forewarned. This could get ugly.

"Yellow Rainbow," with its 60s apocalypse-loitering-right-around-the-corner message is trite and instantly forgettable. For some unknown reason they opted to start the album off with their bassist, Chris "Ace" Kefford, singing lead vocals (He would never be featured in that role again). I guess the fact that they had two capable lead singers in Carl Wayne and Roy Wood escaped them. One peculiar aspect of the tune is the fact that the background chorus sounds like it was recorded live in the plaza of Munchkin land using the native population. Either that or everyone at the mike was on amphetamines. "Kilroy Was Here" follows and it's a better song but we might as well be comparing dirt clods. Drummer Bev Bevan is firmly in his element on this tune because all he's asked to do is play bass drum and snare and avoid veering too far away from the tempo. "(Here We Go Round) The Lemon Tree" is next and it is bubblegum pop on a par with the artistic contributions of The Archies as far as profundity goes. The inclusion of a string quartet is its only saving grace but the classically- trained musicians involved must have left the studio wondering how their professional reputations had managed to sink to the deck of the Titanic.

In another democratic act of sharing the spotlight and handing the microphone around to every standing member, rhythm guitarist Trevor Burton gets to warble away on their cover of Eddie Cochran's "Weekend," a 50s rockabilly ditty that shows where Joan Jett got her melody ideas for "Bad Reputation." Yet given what we've slogged through so far, it's not half bad. And one should be thankful for that because "Walk Upon the Water" digresses back into Partridge Family territory with its nauseating campfire sing-along spirit and groovy lyrics. Ironically, the horribly off-key bugle blowing mindlessly at the end is the best part of the track. "Flowers in the Rain" was a #2 hit in England and it really makes one wonder what the Brits were stuffing in their pipes at that time because it is pitiful pop complete with cheesy storm sounds scattered throughout. This is the kind of empty fluff that caused punk rock to happen. Their surprisingly credible version of Moby Grape's "Hey Grandma" is an oasis in a desert of absurdity but the tune's less-than-tricky accents prove to be too much for the hit-drum-go- boom approach of Bev on his kit and his sloppy fills keep it from rising above passable. Bless his heart. Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees would've aced it.

The escalator only goes down from there to "Useless Information," a piss-poor social commentary song that makes me wonder if Roy had been listening to too many Donovan records in those days. Be afraid, be very afraid. Speaking of scary, the mike gets passed back to Mr. Bevan next for their nostalgic cover of The Coasters' "Zing! Went the Strings of my Heart" and, as undeveloped as his baritone voice is, it's still a step up from his percussion acumen. This doo-wop number would have been right at home on the great Frank Zappa's "Ruben & The Jets" song list but as such it would've been an obvious put-on. I get the feeling that these guys were serious. Strings as syrupy as the state of Vermont glut the corny "The Girl Outside," an undisguised rip off of Peter & Gordon schlock. Diabetics should avoid listening to it at all costs.

The alarming but fun "Fire Brigade" just may be the best tune on the album when taking its competition into consideration. It also reached #2 on the charts and is probably more deserving of that accomplishment than its predecessor. It at least has an interesting chord progression, a Duane Eddy twangy thang going on, a decent melody and possesses a scintilla of imagination. A harpsichord, the Titanic string quartet and the lack of anything drum-related make "Mist on a Monday Morning" a decent cut despite the quaint but overbearing English upper-class-chamber-in-the-days-of-yore atmosphere. Yet it's almost good and, at this juncture, I'll take it. The tiring journey ends with "Cherry Blossom Clinic" (not to be confused with the exciting extended version they recorded for the "Shazam" LP), an incredibly over-produced mess with a plethora of blaring, tinny brass guaranteed to induce multiple migraines. I'm sure they were trying to be hip and psychedelic in an "All You Need is Love" kinda way but they failed miserably.

Okay, so I might've been a little rough on my boys in my review. I meant no permanent harm and still hope we can have a beer together sometime. The Move is far from being the only band who released a debut album that requires one to suppress the gag reflex while listening to it but theirs is one for the ages. The good news is that they hung in there and got a lot better in a short amount of time. It's also true that several of the songs from their formative hit single days ("Night of Fear," "I Can Hear the Grass Grow" and their sole #1 "Blackberry Way" in particular) are keepers but didn't make it onto this LP. While I hope that many of you sample the later works of The Move and thereby reap the rewards that come with that adventure, my advice is that you start anywhere but here and explore this album only if you want to dig through this group's dirt. So why two stars? I only reserve the dreaded lone star designation for those bands/artists who should know better and should be ashamed of themselves for selling manure. These boys did the best they could with what they had. As JC said, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Moving west

Formed in Birmingham UK in 1968, the Move brought in members from other local bands including Mike Sheridan's Night Riders and Carl Wayne and the Vikings. Although Wayne was the lead singer, it was the multi-talented Roy Wood who shone brightest in the band. Wood quickly become the principal songwriter, penning the band's succession of UK chart hits (success in the US completely eluded the Move). Initially, the focus was on recording singles and touring to promote them, with songs such as "Night of fear and "I can hear the grass grow" raising their profile rapidly. While the band's initial influences were primarily from Motown soul, they quickly moved towards the American West with their sound (and ultimately ended up firmly back in Britain with the latter day Beatles). One of the Move's biggest claims to fame from this period is that their third single "Flowers in the rain" was the first song to be played on Radio 1, the BBC's tardy answer to pirate radio.

It took until 1968 for this the Move's first album to be released, around the same time as their "Something else" EP. The album consists primarily of Roy Wood songs, along with three cover versions. Two of these tracks, "Flowers in the rain" and "Fire brigade" were issued as singles, with a third intend single "Cherry blossom clinic" being aborted due to the controversial lyrical content.

As a whole, this album is largely a summary of the band's journey up to this point. It contains little of the proto prog which would appear on later albums, with virtually all the songs here having singles potential. The vocal strengths of the band are highlighted on songs such as "Yellow rainbow" where Wayne sings lead on the verses and Wood on the choruses. The lyrics of songs such as "Here we go round the lemon tree" highlight Wood's wonderful appetite for humour in his writing.

For some reason, "Walk upon the water" has always been a personal favourite. This slice of psychedelic pop has a rather sinister undercurrent in the lyrics, quite at odds with the jaunty melody. "The girl outside" is something of an odd man out, being an orthodox 60's ballad sung by Wayne alone. On the other hand, the Roy Wood sung "Fire brigade" with its sound effects and amusing lyrics sounded quite different at the time of its release, and stormed up the singles chart.

Of the three cover versions, "Weekend" is a straightforward cover of the Eddie Cochran rock and roll number, complete with sha-la-las and hand claps. Wood would return to that period a number of times over his career. "Hey grandma" is a Moby Grape song, emphasising the Move's west coast influences. The song actually sounds more like Simon and Garfunkel's "Keep the customer satisfied" than anything else. The final cover sees Bev Bevan unwisely attempting to offer a new take on the Coaster "Zing went the strings of my heart".

Overall, this is an album which is totally pop focused, and indeed was the only Move album to enjoy chart success. The quality of the music is however superb, with Roy Wood's abundant talent for song writing being exploited in the fine arrangements and accomplished playing. The apparent simplicity of the product to some extent disguises an underlying depth of talent. Listen to some of 10CCs album for example and the similarities become apparent.

The reissues of the album on CD include a plethora of bonus tracks. These are mainly alternative versions and mixes of tracks on the album, however the appearance of "Vote for me", the "lost" B-side" of "Cherry blossom clinic" is worth looking out for.

Review by UMUR
3 stars The Move is the self-titled full-length studio album by UK rock act The Move. I have a 2007, 2 disc version where disc 1 contains the original album plus some single only songs and disc 2 contains a stereo version of the album. The Move features among others Roy Wood and Bev Bevan who would later be members of Electric Light Orchestra.

I was listening to the album yesterday and my parents came to visit so I asked my father if he knew The Move ( I had never heard about the band before finding them on PA) and he said sure. He was even able to hum a few of the songs from this album and I bet itīs about 35 - 40 years since he heard those songs the last time. That must be some indication that the music on the album has a lasting quality but actually that was not my first impression or my last to be honest ( sorry Dad). The music is not very original and considering that the album was recorded in 1967 and released in 1968 I expected much more. The music on this album sounds more like it was released in 1964 or maybe 1965. Mostly uptempo beat rooted in rīnīb, strict vers/ chorus formulaic structures and a strong emphasis on vocals. The instrumental side of the music plays second fiddle to the vocals. The many harmony vocals on the album are actually quite impressive but this was not an unusual feature in those days. The songs donīt stand out much from each other but the doo wop song Zing! Went the Strings of my Heart, which is kind of silly, and the slightly interesting Mist on a Monday Morning were songs that I noticed.

The production allright but nothing special.

The Move isnīt the most exciting album from 1968 and it sounds like The Move came a few years too late with this release. Itīs not obnoxious or anything like that and a 2.5 - 3 star rating is not wrong IMO.

Review by siLLy puPPy
COLLABORATOR PSIKE Team
4 stars One of the things i always wonder is how do certain bands come up with such LAME band names? Well THE MOVE literally refers to the shifting positions of band members from one band to another. Yeah, lame, i know but luckily the music of THE MOVE on their debut album MOVE is far from lame. This is yet one of a gazillion bands to have emerged from Birmingham, England in the 60s. This is a band that had significant success in their native UK by scoring a total of 20 hit singles in a five year span but had absolutely no success in the US or other English speaking countries which meant their career was a fairly short seven year span but a sweet one nonetheless. While the band was known for its innovative and progressive leanings beginning on their second album "Shazam," on this debut album they are all about psychedelic pop and were one of the main shakers of the short lived genre called "freakbeat" which incorporated many aspects of the early British beat scene with psychedelic elements like studio effects and stereophonic embellishments as to give it a strange contemporary achronistic feel at the same time.

What can i say about THE MOVE's first album? Well, it is very catchy psychedelic pop music from 1968. The main influence seems to be The Beatles, who apparently left a vacuum in the 60s pop world when they jettisoned the predictability of the early and mid 60s and moved on to proto-progressive releases such as "Sgt Pepper's" and ushered in an entirely new "free expression" musical world. Well, not everyone was ready for the liberation of this sort and that's why bands like The Monkees were manufactured and other bands like THE MOVE hungrily moved into the formerly occupied musical territory. While the 60s were burgeoning with psychedelic pop bands from all corners of the globe, THE MOVE were actually quite talented in this niche and they nailed the psychedelic pop sound they were going for. Yes, this does sound like it should have been released 3 or 4 years prior before the advent of Hendrix, Pink Floyd and Zappa, however for 60s pop music that takes its antecedents and compiles them into a whole and fine tunes all of these elements, this is pretty good. There is not one bad track on here and it sounds like every track on this debut could have been a pop single of the era.

The Beatles seem to have the biggest influence on this one with extremely catchy hooks that mostly utilize guitars, bass and drums but have piano, harpsichord, brass and woodwind orchestral embellishments on many (especially ending) tracks. There is also an element of sunshine pop like the type of The Turtles but also the cover tracks by Eddie Cochran and The Coasters bring an element of good old fashioned 50s rock 'n' roll to the mix. This album also has a very strong sense of pacing. It begins quite innocently in the sunshine psychedelic pop arena but as ti progresses adds more complexity, most of the time bringing The Beatles to mind, but often meandering into the Baroque pop of The Beach Boys. While this is 60s pop through and through, the sophistication of it all is very much appreciated. Yes, the sound is a bit anachronistic but only by a few years. The fact is that every track on here is extremely catchy and well performed. I particularly love the energy delivered by bassist Ace Kefford who ups the energetic feel of the era a bit. While the ideas may be recycled for the most part, the delivery is very contemporary. This album was a grower. Nothing progressive at this point but if you like excellently performed 60s psychedelic music then you cannot forego such a wonderful experience as THE MOVE's very first album. I personally enjoy this one very much.

Post a review of THE MOVE "The Move"