MOVE

Good, but non-essential

Buy THE MOVE Music
Studio Album, released in 1968

1. Yellow Rainbow (2:35)
2. Kilroy Was Here (2:43)
3. (Here We Go Round) The Lemon Tree (2:59)
4. Weekend (1:46)
5. Walk Upon The Water (3:22)
6. Flowers In The Rain (2:29)
7. Hey Grandma (3:11)
8. Useless Information (2:56)
9. Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart (2:49)
10. The Girl Outside (2:53)
11. Fire Brigade (2:22)
12. Mist On A Monday Morning (2:30)
13. Cherry Blossom Clinic (2:30)

Total time 35:05

Bonus tracks on 1992 CD release:
14. Night Of Fear (2:15)
15. The Disturbance (2:47)
16. I Can Hear The Grass Grow (3:06)
17. Wave Your Flag And Stop The Train (2:56)
18. Flowers In The Rain (Single Version) (2:27)
19. Wild Tiger Woman (2:40)
20. Omnibus (3:57)

Bonus tracks on 1998 & 2016 ($) CD releases:
14. Night Of Fear (2:15) $
15. The Disturbance (2:47) $
16. I Can Hear The Grass Grow (3:06) $
17. Wave Your Flag And Stop The Train (2:56) $
18. Vote For Me (2:48) $
19. The Disturbance (Alternate Version) (2:00)
20. Fire Brigade (Alternate Version) (2:17)
21. Second Class (She's Too Good For You) (2:05)
22. Cherry Blossom Clinic (2:52)
23. (Here We Go Round) The Lemon Tree (2:57) *
24. Weekend (1:46) *
25. Flowers In The Rain (2:28) *
26. Useless Information (2:56) *
27. Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart (2:49) *
28. The Girl Outside (2:56) *
29. Walk Upon The Water (3:22) *

* Stereo versions

- Carl Wayne / lead vocals (5-8,11,13)
- Roy Wood / guitar, vocals (2,3,6,11-13)
- Ace Kefford / guitar, lead vocals (1,9)
- Trevor Burton / bass, lead vocals (4,10)
- Bev Bevan / drums, lead vocals (9)

With:
- Nicky Hopkins / piano (7), harpsichord (12)
- Tony Visconti / strings (3,10,12) and woodwind & brass (6) arrangements

Artwork: The Fool

LP Regal Zonophone ‎- LRZ 1002 (1968, UK) Mono audio
LP Regal Zonophone ‎- SLRZ 1002 (1968, UK) Stereo audio
LP Music On Vinyl ‎- MOVLP1621 (2016, Europe) Mono audio, remastered by Nick Robbins

CD Repertoire Records ‎- REP 4285-WY (1992, Germany) With 7 bonus tracks
CD Repertoire Records ‎- REP 4690-WY (1998, Germany) Remastered (?) with 16 bonus tracks
CD Esoteric Recordings ‎- ECLEC 2537 (2016, UK) Mono audio, remastered with 5 bonus tracks

Thanks to chicapah for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy THE MOVE Move Music

Magnetic Waves of Sound: Best of the MoveMagnetic Waves of Sound: Best of the Move
Remastered
Esoteric 2017
$12.93
Move: Remastered & Expanded Deluxe EditionMove: Remastered & Expanded Deluxe Edition
Cherry Red 2016
$14.70
Great Move! The Best of the MoveGreat Move! The Best of the Move
Capitol 1994
$39.95
Best of: MoveBest of: Move
Repertoire 1997
$34.99
Move (Mono Edition)Move (Mono Edition)
Music on Vinyl 2016
$18.41

MOVE FLOWERS IN THE RAIN PSYCH 1968 GERMAN PRESSING LP USD $26.99 Buy It Now
WOW! Inori by Hitoe's 57 Move (CD 1999) RARE! Japan! USD $15.99 Buy It Now
FLASHBACK - Start Da Move - Vinyl (12") USD $9.96 Buy It Now
Cut and Move by Day of Fire CD USD $1.50 Buy It Now
New Music Turnstile "Move Thru Me" 7" USD $11.50 Buy It Now
The Rolling Stones, You Better Move On, Poison Ivy, Bye Bye Johnny USD $21.93 [0 bids]
CAROLE KING POSTER PAGE . TAPESTRY . ITS TOO LATE . I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE . G53 USD $7.51 Buy It Now
Cliff & The Shadows Richard - Move It - Cliff & The Shadows Richard CD 2UVG The USD $10.97 Buy It Now
Captain and Tennille, Make Your Move, (Vinyl), in Clear Plastic Sleeve USD $12.47 [0 bids]
Vinyl Records singles - The Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar, The Move -Mungo Jerry USD $3.76 [0 bids]
ROY WOOD FOREVER HARVEST RECORDS UK 7" VINYL SINGLE RECORD - THE MOVE USD $1.74 [0 bids]
I - JAH - LOVE THE WAY YOU MOVE 12" USD $4.39 Buy It Now
PRISM-SECOND THOUGHTS/SECOND MOVE +3-JAPAN UHQCD BONUS TRACK Ltd/Ed G88 USD $29.50 Buy It Now
ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS Move Along UK promo only set of THREE button badges / pins USD $5.00 Buy It Now
VARIOUS ARTISTS - MOVE YOUR BODY NEW CD USD $6.98 Buy It Now
Sly & Robbie - Make 'Em Move (Vinyl) USD $16.90 Buy It Now
4TH AVENUE JONES - MOVE ON [SINGLE] NEW CD USD $5.98 Buy It Now
Junior Senior - Move Your Feet - CD - Australia USD $5.78 Buy It Now
rare AOR ROCK 7" TOUCH when the spirit moves you GERMANY SLEEVE Ariola 45rpm USD $14.50 Buy It Now
Celine Dion 45 Love Can Move Mountains / Cry Just A Little USD $2.00 Buy It Now
Unit (4) - Move Your Body (Vinyl) USD $13.77 Buy It Now
Raze - Let The Music Move U (Vinyl) USD $11.26 Buy It Now
PHYLLIS NELSON - Move Closer - Excellent Condition LP Record Carrere CAL 203 USD $10.01 Buy It Now
Finest Hour - Make That Move (Vinyl) USD $11.26 Buy It Now
CULTURE CLUB_Move Away_used 45_VINYL_7"_ships from AUS_zz5_OH25e USD $4.31 Buy It Now
Music Makes Me Wanna Move USD $6.98 Buy It Now
Move Your Body USD $6.98 Buy It Now
SH90-20/3P20 AND WHY NOT : MOVE YOUR SKIN ALBUM ADVERT 11X8" USD $10.02 Buy It Now
THE MOVE.FLOWERS IN THE RAIN.REGAL ZONOPHONE.7" VINYL SINGLE.45 RPM USD $2.51 [0 bids]
(PPBK25) ADVERT 11X8" AND WHY NOT : MOVE YOUR SKIN USD $10.02 Buy It Now
LIGHT MUSIC ON THE MOVE / V...-LIGHT MUSIC ON THE MOVE / VARI (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $13.66 Buy It Now
Psychedelic Furs - Mirror Moves - CD Album - No Barcode USD $15.46 Buy It Now
Bass Hitt Feat Dreamgirl Veee - The Beat That Makes U Move / U.K One Day SR12111 USD $64.23 Buy It Now
Joint Venture - The Move - Strictly Rhythm SR 1236 Usa 1991 USD $27.26 Buy It Now
ULTRAVOX/ MIDGE URE Move Me UK tour programme USD $11.26 Buy It Now
CELINE DION X-RARE 1992 CANADA 12'' VINYL 6 TRACKS ''LOVE CAN MOVE MOUNTAINS'' USD $24.99 Buy It Now
EX !! The Move/Move/1968 Regal Zonophone Mono LP USD $250.59 Buy It Now
Karaja "She Moves (LaLaLa)" 2x 12" Singles Inc Infinity Master Mix USD $2.49 [0 bids]
SHX4P A-HA : THE BLOOD THAT MOVES THE BODY SINGLE ADVERT 11X8" USD $10.02 Buy It Now
SH94-25/10P REAL TO REAL : MOVE IT ALBUM ADVERT 11X8" USD $10.02 Buy It Now
Spiritual Moves vol.6 / Future Quest - CD - NEW SPACE MONKEY TOAST3D WIZZY NOISE USD $22.99 Buy It Now
CANCER BATS - The Spark That Moves - Vinyl (limited turquoise vinyl LP + insert) USD $28.13 Buy It Now
move - words of the mind brandnew journey - Japan CD - J-POP - 11Tracks USD $16.99 Buy It Now
Cliff Richard - 'Move It' 1970s German EMI LP. Ex! USD $7.51 Buy It Now
*GUNS N' ROSES Paradise city / Move to..NM- CANADA PROMO ORIG 1986 GEFFEN 45 USD $21.65 Buy It Now
Mantronix - This should move ya (1990) - Mantronix CD H2VG The Fast Free USD $14.48 Buy It Now
7" Vinyl Record, Tracey Ullman, Move over Darling / You Broke my Heart in 17 Pla USD $2.19 Buy It Now
7" Vinyl Record, Culture Club, Move Away / Sexuality, vs845 USD $2.49 Buy It Now
THE MOVE - 'Flowers In The Rain' (Regal Zon) 1967 Superb Excellent Condition USD $6.25 Buy It Now
Chrome Half Machine Lip Moves ltd Vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $35.20 Buy It Now
Move Closer Phyllis Nelson Vinyl Record USD $13.72 Buy It Now
MOJO Move On Up 15-trk CD The Jam Dexys Yardbirds Aaron Neville Curtis Mayfield USD $6.25 Buy It Now
NEW The Sky, It Moves (Audio CD) USD $15.77 Buy It Now
OTIS & CARLA BAND Tramp /LOUISE MCCORD Better Get A Move On NEW FUNK SOUL 45 7" USD $12.52 Buy It Now
CLIFF RICHARD AND THE DRIFTERS Move It 7" VINYL Green Four Prong Label Design USD $5.25 Buy It Now
ELVIS PRESLEY E.P. Love Me Tender / Let Me / Poor Boy/ We're Gonna Move ~ EX/EX USD $93.98 Buy It Now
(BV106) Shirokuma, Secret Moves At The Midnight Chess Club - 2004 CD USD $5.63 Buy It Now
TRACEY ULLMAN MOVE OVER DARLING 7" Vinyl Record Near Mint USD $2.49 Buy It Now
PHYLLIS NELSON MOVE CLOSER 7" Vinyl Record Near Mint USD $1.24 Buy It Now
AU REVOIR SIMONE_Move In Spectrums_promo_used CD_ships from AUS!_zz4_xyz1d USD $8.62 Buy It Now
CHILLY 7" VINYL C/S COME TO L.A. / GET UP AND MOVE POLYDOR IRELAND 1979 EX " USD $12.47 Buy It Now
Culture Club ?- Move Away 7" - VS 845 - VG USD $4.07 Buy It Now
Martika ?- I Feel The Earth Move 7" - 655294 7 - VG USD $4.75 Buy It Now
The Psychedelic Furs - Mirror Moves - Reissue (NEW VINYL LP) USD $26.30 Buy It Now
K-POP SISTAR 2nd Mini Album [TOUCH & MOVE] CD + Booklet + Photocard Sealed USD $20.99 Buy It Now
Rap 45 - Eric B. & Rakim - Move The Crowd - 4th & Broadway - NM C1 USD $35.98 Buy It Now
Sky Moves Sideways - Tree Porcupine Vinyl Free Shipping! USD $33.89 Buy It Now
Cappella Move It Up 7" Internal Dance ID57 EX/EX 1994 picture sleeve, Move It Up USD $8.13 Buy It Now
CURTIS MAYFIELD - MOVE ON UP: THE BEST OF - NEW CD COMPILATION USD $6.25 Buy It Now
Martika ?- I Feel The Earth Move 655294 7 VINYL / SLEEVE NEAR MINT USD $3.13 Buy It Now
Direct Source presents TWIST AND SHOUT MOVE 'N' GROOVE (2004, CD) Ages 4-8 USD $0.99 Buy It Now
GENE FARROW 7" VINYL C/S MOVE YOUR BODY MAGNET MAG 109 1977 " USD $4.95 Buy It Now
FASHION - Love Shadow/Centrefold + Move On/Mutant Move.12" 1982 UK ARIST 12483 USD $10.01 Buy It Now
HARMONY GRASS 7" SINGLE (MOVE IN A LITTLE CLOSER BABY) ON RCA 1772 USD $1.88 Buy It Now
CELINE DION - Love Can Move Mountains - Scarce 1992 Dutch 6-track mix vinyl 12" USD $25.05 Buy It Now
Night Moves Compilation LP Album Vinyl Record NE1065 Pop 70's USD $12.50 Buy It Now
Phil Bensen-Watching the World Move CD NEW USD $16.22 Buy It Now
Bob Mason: Just A Hand Full Of Mem'Ries / Move On Gal 78 USD $25.00 Buy It Now
Earl Klugh - Move (CD, May-1994, Warner Bros.) Free Ship #0810CD USD $7.99 Buy It Now
LIGHT MUSIC ON THE MOVE / V...-LIGHT MUSIC ON THE MOVE / VARI (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $12.41 Buy It Now
Meklit - When the Music Moves The People Move Too [CD] USD $13.57 Buy It Now
FAMOUS BALLET DANCER MIKHAIL BARYSHNIKOV 'MOVES PHOTO 1 USD $4.31 Buy It Now
Dan Seals You Still Move Me / I'm Still Strung Out On You 45 RPM 7" Vinyl Record USD $4.49 Buy It Now
THE DOMINOES 45 LOT OF 4 PEDAL PUSHIN PAPA / DEACON MOVES IN & MORE USD $7.99 [0 bids]
USD $10.99 Buy It Now
3 X DAVID JORDAN PROMO CDS MOVE ON & PLACE IN MY HEART USD $1.88 Buy It Now
Pennied Days, Night Moves, Good USD $6.99 Buy It Now
THE MOVE - 'Tonight' (Harvest) 1971 Excellent Condition USD $4.39 Buy It Now
The All-American Rejects Move Along 7" Vinyl Single 2006 Interscope Records USD $12.52 Buy It Now
Move Closer USD $1.78 Buy It Now
Move On Up! The Very Best Of Northern Soul USD $12.00 [3 bids]
Beat Instrumental Magazine - Mar 68 - The Move USD $37.59 Buy It Now
BIG T POWER MOVE cd lil flip hawk pokey keke moe dj screw shasta super rare USD $25.00 [0 bids]
1963 SURF ROCK Chantay's - Pipeline / Move It 7" 45 USD $3.71 Buy It Now
Martika ?- I Feel The Earth Move 12" - 655294 6 - VG USD $8.76 Buy It Now
Nancy Martinez - Move Out 12' Vinyl Maxi Single Near Mint Original Issue USD $9.99 Buy It Now
Deep Freeze Productions : If They Move, Kill em CD USD $3.99 Buy It Now
Elton John, Blue Moves Vinyl Record/LP *USED* USD $25.00 Buy It Now
Rikki Patrick - Night Moves 12" - TA 4144 - Ex USD $10.01 Buy It Now
ROTE KAPELLE.. It Moves... But Does It Swing? (Mini Album with Insert) USD $16.28 Buy It Now
PROMO w SLEEVE Tim Buckley Move with Me 1972 45rpm VG++ USD $11.99 Buy It Now

More places to buy THE MOVE music online Buy THE MOVE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

THE MOVE Move ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(16%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(29%)

THE MOVE Move reviews

Review by Chicapah
2 stars In the cinematic classic "This is Spinal Tap" there's a segment during which the mock-documentary takes a look back at the group's simple beginnings by showing a clip of their appearance on a far-out, Shindig-like program, performing their first hit, "(Listen to the) Flower People." It's embarrassingly silly and horribly dated. In real life, however, that scenario hits uncomfortably close to home for The Move's debut LP. Somewhat like their U.S. counterparts, the nightclub act Paul Revere & the Raiders, the band was able to consistently scale the pop charts but no one took them very seriously. Roy, Carl, Trevor, Bev and "Ace" were just young, fledgling musicians playing in Birmingham dives when they got discovered by manager Tony Secunda. He goaded them to garner public visibility by pulling sensational stunts like smashing TV sets on stage with axes and slandering the prime minister with naughty photos. He also encouraged leader Roy Wood to write radio-friendly songs that sounded like what was "happening" on the Top 40. The problem with that tactic is that by the time you get the tune on the airwaves the trend you're aping is already on the way out so you end up following popular culture instead of leading it. Like bubblegum music, a catchy ditty would often get you into the higher echelons of the charts but few would remember the song a year later.

Recorded in late 1967 and released early the following year, this album has very little to do with anything vaguely related to progressive rock and is only listed on this site because of the band's later three studio projects. Its only usefulness is to demonstrate how far the group had to go to be able to make the excellent proto-prog music they ended up creating. So make no mistake, it's not very good and I wouldn't recommend that anyone except die-hard fans shell out their hard-earned moola for it. I bought it a long time ago, thinking their early stuff might be interesting. Wrong. "Then why review an album you don't like?" some may ask. My answer is that in the genre of progressive rock there are few recordings that don't have at least some redeeming qualities to elevate it above the mundane tastes of the rabble of society so most of my critiques tend to praise rather than bury. Therefore, when I get an opportunity to be sarcastic and poke good-natured fun at a band I truly adore I'm not about to let my chance go by. So consider yourself forewarned. This could get ugly.

"Yellow Rainbow," with its 60s apocalypse-loitering-right-around-the-corner message is trite and instantly forgettable. For some unknown reason they opted to start the album off with their bassist, Chris "Ace" Kefford, singing lead vocals (He would never be featured in that role again). I guess the fact that they had two capable lead singers in Carl Wayne and Roy Wood escaped them. One peculiar aspect of the tune is the fact that the background chorus sounds like it was recorded live in the plaza of Munchkin land using the native population. Either that or everyone at the mike was on amphetamines. "Kilroy Was Here" follows and it's a better song but we might as well be comparing dirt clods. Drummer Bev Bevan is firmly in his element on this tune because all he's asked to do is play bass drum and snare and avoid veering too far away from the tempo. "(Here We Go Round) The Lemon Tree" is next and it is bubblegum pop on a par with the artistic contributions of The Archies as far as profundity goes. The inclusion of a string quartet is its only saving grace but the classically- trained musicians involved must have left the studio wondering how their professional reputations had managed to sink to the deck of the Titanic.

In another democratic act of sharing the spotlight and handing the microphone around to every standing member, rhythm guitarist Trevor Burton gets to warble away on their cover of Eddie Cochran's "Weekend," a 50s rockabilly ditty that shows where Joan Jett got her melody ideas for "Bad Reputation." Yet given what we've slogged through so far, it's not half bad. And one should be thankful for that because "Walk Upon the Water" digresses back into Partridge Family territory with its nauseating campfire sing-along spirit and groovy lyrics. Ironically, the horribly off-key bugle blowing mindlessly at the end is the best part of the track. "Flowers in the Rain" was a #2 hit in England and it really makes one wonder what the Brits were stuffing in their pipes at that time because it is pitiful pop complete with cheesy storm sounds scattered throughout. This is the kind of empty fluff that caused punk rock to happen. Their surprisingly credible version of Moby Grape's "Hey Grandma" is an oasis in a desert of absurdity but the tune's less-than-tricky accents prove to be too much for the hit-drum-go- boom approach of Bev on his kit and his sloppy fills keep it from rising above passable. Bless his heart. Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees would've aced it.

The escalator only goes down from there to "Useless Information," a piss-poor social commentary song that makes me wonder if Roy had been listening to too many Donovan records in those days. Be afraid, be very afraid. Speaking of scary, the mike gets passed back to Mr. Bevan next for their nostalgic cover of The Coasters' "Zing! Went the Strings of my Heart" and, as undeveloped as his baritone voice is, it's still a step up from his percussion acumen. This doo-wop number would have been right at home on the great Frank Zappa's "Ruben & The Jets" song list but as such it would've been an obvious put-on. I get the feeling that these guys were serious. Strings as syrupy as the state of Vermont glut the corny "The Girl Outside," an undisguised rip off of Peter & Gordon schlock. Diabetics should avoid listening to it at all costs.

The alarming but fun "Fire Brigade" just may be the best tune on the album when taking its competition into consideration. It also reached #2 on the charts and is probably more deserving of that accomplishment than its predecessor. It at least has an interesting chord progression, a Duane Eddy twangy thang going on, a decent melody and possesses a scintilla of imagination. A harpsichord, the Titanic string quartet and the lack of anything drum-related make "Mist on a Monday Morning" a decent cut despite the quaint but overbearing English upper-class-chamber-in-the-days-of-yore atmosphere. Yet it's almost good and, at this juncture, I'll take it. The tiring journey ends with "Cherry Blossom Clinic" (not to be confused with the exciting extended version they recorded for the "Shazam" LP), an incredibly over-produced mess with a plethora of blaring, tinny brass guaranteed to induce multiple migraines. I'm sure they were trying to be hip and psychedelic in an "All You Need is Love" kinda way but they failed miserably.

Okay, so I might've been a little rough on my boys in my review. I meant no permanent harm and still hope we can have a beer together sometime. The Move is far from being the only band who released a debut album that requires one to suppress the gag reflex while listening to it but theirs is one for the ages. The good news is that they hung in there and got a lot better in a short amount of time. It's also true that several of the songs from their formative hit single days ("Night of Fear," "I Can Hear the Grass Grow" and their sole #1 "Blackberry Way" in particular) are keepers but didn't make it onto this LP. While I hope that many of you sample the later works of The Move and thereby reap the rewards that come with that adventure, my advice is that you start anywhere but here and explore this album only if you want to dig through this group's dirt. So why two stars? I only reserve the dreaded lone star designation for those bands/artists who should know better and should be ashamed of themselves for selling manure. These boys did the best they could with what they had. As JC said, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Moving west

Formed in Birmingham UK in 1968, the Move brought in members from other local bands including Mike Sheridan's Night Riders and Carl Wayne and the Vikings. Although Wayne was the lead singer, it was the multi-talented Roy Wood who shone brightest in the band. Wood quickly become the principal songwriter, penning the band's succession of UK chart hits (success in the US completely eluded the Move). Initially, the focus was on recording singles and touring to promote them, with songs such as "Night of fear and "I can hear the grass grow" raising their profile rapidly. While the band's initial influences were primarily from Motown soul, they quickly moved towards the American West with their sound (and ultimately ended up firmly back in Britain with the latter day Beatles). One of the Move's biggest claims to fame from this period is that their third single "Flowers in the rain" was the first song to be played on Radio 1, the BBC's tardy answer to pirate radio.

It took until 1968 for this the Move's first album to be released, around the same time as their "Something else" EP. The album consists primarily of Roy Wood songs, along with three cover versions. Two of these tracks, "Flowers in the rain" and "Fire brigade" were issued as singles, with a third intended single "Cherry blossom clinic" being aborted due to the controversial lyrical content.

As a whole, this album is largely a summary of the band's journey up to this point. It contains little of the proto prog which would appear on later albums, with virtually all the songs here having singles potential. The vocal strengths of the band are highlighted on songs such as "Yellow rainbow" where Wayne sings lead on the verses and Wood on the choruses. The lyrics of songs such as "Here we go round the lemon tree" highlight Wood's wonderful appetite for humour in his writing.

For some reason, "Walk upon the water" has always been a personal favourite. This slice of psychedelic pop has a rather sinister undercurrent in the lyrics, quite at odds with the jaunty melody. "The girl outside" is something of an odd man out, being an orthodox 60's ballad sung by Wayne alone. On the other hand, the Roy Wood sung "Fire brigade" with its sound effects and amusing lyrics sounded quite different at the time of its release, and stormed up the singles chart.

Of the three cover versions, "Weekend" is a straightforward cover of the Eddie Cochran rock and roll number, complete with sha-la-las and hand claps. Wood would return to that period a number of times over his career. "Hey grandma" is a Moby Grape song, emphasising the Move's west coast influences. The song actually sounds more like Simon and Garfunkel's "Keep the customer satisfied" than anything else. The final cover sees Bev Bevan unwisely attempting to offer a new take on the Coaster "Zing went the strings of my heart".

Overall, this is an album which is totally pop focused, and indeed was the only Move album to enjoy chart success. The quality of the music is however superb, with Roy Wood's abundant talent for song writing being exploited in the fine arrangements and accomplished playing. The apparent simplicity of the product to some extent disguises an underlying depth of talent. Listen to some of 10CCs album for example and the similarities become apparent.

The reissues of the album on CD include a plethora of bonus tracks. These are mainly alternative versions and mixes of tracks on the album, however the appearance of "Vote for me", the "lost" B-side" of "Cherry blossom clinic" is worth looking out for.

Review by UMUR
3 stars The Move is the self-titled full-length studio album by UK rock act The Move. I have a 2007, 2 disc version where disc 1 contains the original album plus some single only songs and disc 2 contains a stereo version of the album. The Move features among others Roy Wood and Bev Bevan who would later be members of Electric Light Orchestra.

I was listening to the album yesterday and my parents came to visit so I asked my father if he knew The Move ( I had never heard about the band before finding them on PA) and he said sure. He was even able to hum a few of the songs from this album and I bet itīs about 35 - 40 years since he heard those songs the last time. That must be some indication that the music on the album has a lasting quality but actually that was not my first impression or my last to be honest ( sorry Dad). The music is not very original and considering that the album was recorded in 1967 and released in 1968 I expected much more. The music on this album sounds more like it was released in 1964 or maybe 1965. Mostly uptempo beat rooted in rīnīb, strict vers/ chorus formulaic structures and a strong emphasis on vocals. The instrumental side of the music plays second fiddle to the vocals. The many harmony vocals on the album are actually quite impressive but this was not an unusual feature in those days. The songs donīt stand out much from each other but the doo wop song Zing! Went the Strings of my Heart, which is kind of silly, and the slightly interesting Mist on a Monday Morning were songs that I noticed.

The production allright but nothing special.

The Move isnīt the most exciting album from 1968 and it sounds like The Move came a few years too late with this release. Itīs not obnoxious or anything like that and a 2.5 - 3 star rating is not wrong IMO.

Review by siLLy puPPy
COLLABORATOR PSIKE, JR/F/Canterbury & Eclectic Teams
4 stars One of the things i always wonder is how do certain bands come up with such LAME band names? Well THE MOVE literally refers to the shifting positions of band members from one band to another. Yeah, lame, i know but luckily the music of THE MOVE on their debut album MOVE is far from lame. This is yet one of a gazillion bands to have emerged from Birmingham, England in the 60s. This is a band that had significant success in their native UK by scoring a total of 20 hit singles in a five year span but had absolutely no success in the US or other English speaking countries which meant their career was a fairly short seven year span but a sweet one nonetheless. While the band was known for its innovative and progressive leanings beginning on their second album "Shazam," on this debut album they are all about psychedelic pop and were one of the main shakers of the short lived genre called "freakbeat" which incorporated many aspects of the early British beat scene with psychedelic elements like studio effects and stereophonic embellishments as to give it a strange contemporary achronistic feel at the same time.

What can i say about THE MOVE's first album? Well, it is very catchy psychedelic pop music from 1968. The main influence seems to be The Beatles, who apparently left a vacuum in the 60s pop world when they jettisoned the predictability of the early and mid 60s and moved on to proto-progressive releases such as "Sgt Pepper's" and ushered in an entirely new "free expression" musical world. Well, not everyone was ready for the liberation of this sort and that's why bands like The Monkees were manufactured and other bands like THE MOVE hungrily moved into the formerly occupied musical territory. While the 60s were burgeoning with psychedelic pop bands from all corners of the globe, THE MOVE were actually quite talented in this niche and they nailed the psychedelic pop sound they were going for. Yes, this does sound like it should have been released 3 or 4 years prior before the advent of Hendrix, Pink Floyd and Zappa, however for 60s pop music that takes its antecedents and compiles them into a whole and fine tunes all of these elements, this is pretty good. There is not one bad track on here and it sounds like every track on this debut could have been a pop single of the era.

The Beatles seem to have the biggest influence on this one with extremely catchy hooks that mostly utilize guitars, bass and drums but have piano, harpsichord, brass and woodwind orchestral embellishments on many (especially ending) tracks. There is also an element of sunshine pop like the type of The Turtles but also the cover tracks by Eddie Cochran and The Coasters bring an element of good old fashioned 50s rock 'n' roll to the mix. This album also has a very strong sense of pacing. It begins quite innocently in the sunshine psychedelic pop arena but as ti progresses adds more complexity, most of the time bringing The Beatles to mind, but often meandering into the Baroque pop of The Beach Boys. While this is 60s pop through and through, the sophistication of it all is very much appreciated. Yes, the sound is a bit anachronistic but only by a few years. The fact is that every track on here is extremely catchy and well performed. I particularly love the energy delivered by bassist Ace Kefford who ups the energetic feel of the era a bit. While the ideas may be recycled for the most part, the delivery is very contemporary. This album was a grower. Nothing progressive at this point but if you like excellently performed 60s psychedelic music then you cannot forego such a wonderful experience as THE MOVE's very first album. I personally enjoy this one very much.

3 stars Very Poppy. The Move's first album is very much in the early-mid Beatles mode. Very poppy, meant for radio, but with some clever lyrics and enough charm that one will be tempted to put in on more than once. Roy Wood is the main songwriter for the Move, and his songs are generally the best of thei ... (read more)

Report this review (#1698727) | Posted by Walkscore | Saturday, March 4, 2017 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE MOVE "Move"