PIN UPS

David Bowie Pin Ups album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy DAVID BOWIE Music
Studio Album, released in 1973

1. Rosalyn (Jimmy Duncan, Bill Farley) (2:27)
2. Here Comes The Night (Bert Berns) (3:09)
3. I Wish You Would (Billy Boy Arnold) (2:40)
4. See Emily Play (Syd Barrett) (4:03)
5. Everything's Alright (Nickey Crouch, John Konrad, Simon Stavely, Stuart James, Keith Karlson) (2:26)
6. I Can't Explain (Pete Townshend) (2:07)
7. Friday On My Mind (George Young, Harry Vanda) (3:18)
8. Sorrow (Bob Feldman, Jerry Goldstein, Richard Gottehrer) (2:48)
9. Don't Bring Me Down (Johnnie Dee) (2:01)
10. Shapes Of Things (Paul SamwellSmith, Jim McCarty, Keith Relf) (2:47)
11. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey) (3:04)
12. Where Have All The Good Times Gone (Ray Davies) (2:35)

Total time 33:25

Bonus tracks on 1990 remaster:
13. Growin' Up (Previously unreleased; originally by Bruce Springsteen) (3:26)
14. Port of Amsterdam (B-side; originally by Jacques Brel) (3:19)

- David Bowie / vocals, guitar, Moog, tenor & alto saxes, harmonica, arrangements & co-producer

With:
- Mick Ronson / guitar, piano, backing vocals, arrangements
- Mike Garson / piano, organ, harpsichord, electric piano
- Ken Fordham / baritone sax, flute (?)
- Trevor Bolder / bass
- Aynsley Dunbar / drums
- G.A. MacCormack / backing vocals
- Ron Wood / guitar (13)

Artwork: Justin De Villeneuve (photo of DB with Twiggy)

LP RCA Victor - RS 1003 (1973, UK)

CD RCA - PD84653 (1984, Europe)
CD EMI - CDEMC 3580 (1990, Europe) Remastered by Toby Mountain with 2 bonus tracks
CD EMI - 521 9030 (1999, Europe) 24-bit remaster by Nigel Reeve & Peter Mew
CD Parlophone ‎- 0825646283385 (2015, Europe) Remastered by Ray Staff

Thanks to micky for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups Music

Pin UpsPin Ups
Remastered
Rhino/Parlophone 2015
$6.96
David Bowie - Pin Ups - Lp Vinyl RecordDavid Bowie - Pin Ups - Lp Vinyl Record
Parlophone
$30.00
Pin Ups [Japanese Mini Vinyl Replica Edition] by David BowiePin Ups [Japanese Mini Vinyl Replica Edition] by David Bowie
Emi Divested

David Bowie Pinups 12'' LP EX 1983 Pressing USD $20.00 Buy It Now 3h 18m
DAVID BOWIE Pinups RCA FRENCH PRESS free UK post USD $16.31 Buy It Now 3h 35m
David Bowie-Pin Ups Vinyl USD $9.00 [0 bids]
USD $18.00 Buy It Now
David Bowie pinups pin ups rca 1973 apl10291 w/pic inner sleeve glam rock oop LP USD $49.00 Buy It Now 5h 55m
David Bowie - Pinups Vinyl LP Black 180 Gram Remastered Sealed New USD $12.50 [13 bids]
DAVID BOWIE pinups LP Picture Vinyl UK RCA BOPIC 4 USD $49.99 Buy It Now 10h
David Bowie - Pinups (NEW VINYL LP) USD $26.74 Buy It Now 12h 57m
DAVID BOWIE Vinyl LP Pin-Ups, (Orange RCA Victor) EX USD $33.11 Buy It Now 15h 11m
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS 1990 EMI REMASTERED REISSUE + BONUS TRACKS CASSETTE TAPE USD $11.45 Buy It Now 18h 15m
DAVID BOWIE: Pin Ups, RCA Records, 1st, OOP LP! USD $9.99 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Pinups - 1973 UK RCA Victor - With Insert - 12" LP 33 RPM USD $10.19 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE~PINUPS~RCA 0291~RARE~DYNOFLEX~~ POP LP USD $39.99 Buy It Now 20h 46m
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups LP Picture Disc RARE Ltd Edt RCA Records #3403 Sealed USD $87.95 Buy It Now 21h 31m
David Bowie - Pin Ups - Rare UK Limited Numbered Picture Disc LP (BOPIC 4) USD $89.16 Buy It Now 22h 23m
GREEN CASE David Bowie Pin Ups CD 1990 Rykodisc w/Bonus Tracks PORT OF AMSTERDAM USD $22.50 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE "PINUPS" LP VINYL RECORD 1973 US PRESS DYNAFLEX ROCK GLAM USD $20.29 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE PINUPS RCA VICTOR RS 1003 ZIGGY STARDUST ORANGE LABEL FRENCH GLAM USD $8.90 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Pinups RS 1003 France LP 1973 RCA Victor + Insert USD $10.19 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE PINUPS w/ INNER SLEEVE USD $14.50 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE Pinups SEALED 180 gram LP USD $14.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE SORROW b/w AMSTERDAM RCA Victor 1st UK 45 7" 1973 A3/B3 Pin-Ups USD $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie Pin Ups Remastered w/ Bonus Tracks RE EMI UK CD 1990 USD $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE David Bowie + Pin Ups 2x LP 180g vinyl sealed remastered USD $46.30 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE The Man Who Sold The World picture disc + Pin Ups LP 180g vinyl USD $54.95 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Pinups UK Picture Disc LP Vinyl 1984 RCA Records # 1568 SEALED USD $119.99 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie Pinups Promo Record APL1-0291 USD $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Pin Ups - EX David Bowie vinyl LP album record UK RS1003 RCA 1973 USD $44.52 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie Pinups 1973 RCA 1st USA VG++ Analog Press Ultrasonic CLEAN USD $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie CD lot - Diamond Dogs, Pin Ups, Hunky Dory and more USD $90.00 Buy It Now 1 day
80s David Bowie Lets Dance Pin Ups Michael Jackson Thriller Vinyl Records USD $20.50 [6 bids]
David Bowie-Pin Ups APL1-0291 US copy EX-/VG- see all pics USD $10.18 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups LP RARE ORIGINAL UK GATEFOLD 1990 REMASTER & BONUS TRACKS USD $95.53 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE, PIN UPS 8 TRACK TAPE CARTRIDGE 7686-1 BOX 5 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Pin Ups [Remaster] by David Bowie (CD, Jan-2007, Capitol/EMI Records) USD $39.95 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE Pinups CD BRAND NEW 2015 Remaster USD $12.01 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS CD PLATINUM DISC VINYL LP FREE SHIPPING TO U.K. USD $152.86 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS CD GOLD DISC VINYL LP FREE SHIPPING TO U.K. USD $146.44 Buy It Now 2 days
Pin Ups David Bowie UK vinyl LP album record RS1003 RCA VICTOR 1973 USD $31.79 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE ~ Pin Ups ~ VINYL LP + INSERT FRENCH PRESS USD $12.03 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie Pin Ups French vinyl LP album record RS1003 RCA VICTOR 1973 USD $38.15 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie Pinups Vinyl Record Lp OBI N/M Near Mint RPL-2124 USD $6.36 [2 bids]
David Bowie "Pin Ups" 2015 Parlophone RPR- 19033 CD USD $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie - Pinups - LP 1973 RCA Victor original Australian issue ?- APL1-0291 USD $29.09 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE: Pin Ups LP (UK, pic disc, ltd. edition #4174, die-cut cover) USD $100.00 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie Pinups SEALED USA 1973 PROMO LP APL1- 0291 RARE OOAK USD $125.00 [0 bids]
david bowie pinups USD $28.39 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE Pinups EX to NM 1973 RCA LP # APL1-0291 original ear USD $9.99 [1 bids]
David Bowie Rare Superstar Italy Gatefold W Libretto & Pinups Aust. Lp Records USD $27.67 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Pinups CD RYKO OOP Bonus Tracks NrMint! USD $21.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE - PIN UPS [REMASTERED] NEW CD USD $23.94 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE - PINUPS - Japan Import - TOCP-70146 - CD USD $26.59 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE - PINUPS - ORIGINAL 1973 CANADIAN PRESSING LP - NO INSERT USD $29.09 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie Pinups Japan CD WPCR-16709 remastered 2015 OBI USD $23.74 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie - Pin Ups MINI LP, JAPAN CD with OBI Brand New, Unopened USD $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS LP RCA International NL84653 Excellent USD $11.45 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE+Pinups+ORIGINAL VINYL LP SLV+TOP QUALITY FRAMED+EXPRESS GLOBAL SHIP USD $114.59 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie , Pinups Vinyl Record/LP *USED* USD $25.42 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie - PinUps (2015 Remastered Version) [CD] USD $10.59 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS CASSETTE TAPE RCA INTERNATIONAL GERMANY 1983 USD $12.73 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie Pinups RCA Orange Label APL1-0291 Original LP Vinyl Record Album VG+ USD $22.93 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie - PinUps (2015 Remastered Version) [CD] USD $10.42 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie/Pin Ups picture disc USD $50.96 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE---PIN UPS USD $6.79 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE PINUPS RE RCA International UK LP 1981 Twiggy USD $38.21 Buy It Now 4 days
VINYL LP David Bowie - Pin Ups RCA AYL1 4653 Pinups Pin-Ups NM USD $12.99 [0 bids]
David Bowie ~ Pinups ~ Ex ~ RCA AYL1-4653 ~ 1983 Reissue USD $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
GLAM ROCK-DAVID BOWIE "PIN UPs" RCA APL1-0291 DYNAFLEX (1973) USD $14.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Pin Ups by David Bowie 1973 Vinyl RCA Victor Records 1st Press USD $26.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE PINUPS RE RCA Victor GREECE LP 1980 Twiggy USD $38.21 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie - Pin Ups LP New Sealed DB69736 180 Gram Vinyl Record 2016 USD $22.50 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie: Pin Ups. RCA. CASSETTE TAPE. Early edition. Paper labels. USD $18.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE PINUPS ORIGINAL 1973 U.S. PRESS WITH INNER EXCELLENT VINYL USD $20.00 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie~ Pin Ups~ 8-Track~ 1973 Tested USD $9.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE_Pin Ups_Pinups_used VINYL LP_ships from AUS!_zz158_shR4f USD $21.84 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE - PINUPS, 2016 EU REMASTERED 180G vinyl LP, NEW - SEALED! USD $37.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE - PIN UPS - CD - NEW USD $9.34 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE - PIN UPS - CD - NEW USD $9.55 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE - PIN UPS - CD - NEW USD $10.18 Buy It Now 4 days
LP DAVID BOWIE - Pinups USD $23.66 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE - PINUPS - Japan Import - TOCP-70146 - new USD $32.00 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie PinUps Pin Ups EMC358 Remastered Vinyl LP with Bonus Tracks EX+/EX USD $62.42 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie Ryko Pin Ups/ Aladdin Sane Sealed RARE Advance Promo Cassettes USD $33.99 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie-Pin Ups-Cassette tape ~ USD $22.94 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie Pinups 180gm Vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $31.30 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE PINUPS~INNER~VG++ 1973 1ST PRESS~INNER~PINK FLOYD~YARDBIRDS~GLAM ROC USD $25.00 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie Pin Ups - Contract Pressing vinyl LP album record UK RS1003 RCA USD $38.15 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie Special Limited Edition picture Disc Pin Ups USD $95.55 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie - Pinups - VG+/VG+ 1973 Vinyl LP USD $28.66 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie Pin Ups vinyl LP with insert USD $24.21 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE CD - PINUPS [REMASTERED](2015) - NEW UNOPENED - ROCK USD $14.99 Buy It Now 5 days
LP: David Bowie - Pin Ups - Parlophone - DB69736, Parlophone - 0825646289424, Pa USD $22.03 Buy It Now 5 days
Sh85-13/8p64 11X8" COLOUR PIN UP POSTER OF DAVID BOWIE & MICK JAGGER USD $14.01 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE Pinups RCA LP VG++ USD $8.00 [1 bids]
DAVID BOWIE-PINUPS-FRENCH RCA TEXTURED LP + INSERT USD $6.36 [0 bids]
Sh85-13/8p64 11X8" COLOUR PIN UP POSTER OF DAVID BOWIE & MICK JAGGER FRAMED USD $28.03 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS 1973 VINYL RCA RECORDS UK ORIGINAL USD $19.11 [0 bids]
David Bowie - PinUps [LP] (180 Gram, 2015 Remaster) USD $24.10 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID BOWIE - PIN UPS LP RS1003 RCA FRENCH PRESS 1973 VG! USD $7.63 [0 bids]

More places to buy DAVID BOWIE music online Buy DAVID BOWIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(7%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(13%)

DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars Even if this album is made of covers, it is the fourth one that David released in twenty-two months!

In the meantime, David/Ziggy put an end (?) to his stage life on July 3rd, London. Hammersmith Odeon. Bowie said in front of a petrified audience: "From all the shows from this tour, this one will be the most remembered because it is not only the last one of this tour. It is the last one.for ever". And there we went for "Rock'n'Roll Suicide".

Even if he killed Ziggy, Bolder and Ronson will still survive for a while and do play on this recording (but it will be their last album with Bowie). The press unanimously shot it down but the fans pushed it again at the first spot of the UK charts.

Still, this is not a good album IMO. My fave songs were (and still are) "Here Comes The Night" (from "Them"), "Friday On My Mind" ("The Easybeats") and "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" ("The Who"). The Floyd cover ("See Emily Play") is average, less childish than the original but not really convincing. David was rather attracted by Syd with whom he had lots of things in common in the late sixties.

On a remastered CD edition, one can find a cover from Maître Jacques. This version of "Amsterdam" is not bad but during the finale, David is quite noisy in his vocals. The passion of Maître Jacques is not very well represented. But so far, I've never heard someone (except "Ange", maybe) capable of convincing me with one of his covers.

Bowie's love for Brel is not new: as soon as in 1967, he was covering him already. At the end of the day, you might well add this one in the good category. It backed up "Let's Spend The Night Together". At least in Belgium.

The other songs are quite dispensable. I have never really liked this album. I was more on the side of the critics than of the fans. Maybe premonitory of my "no more heroes" philosophy which will see the light in 78. And will never leave me.

Two stars. One of his weakest album.

Review by Chris S
3 stars Notably there are many artists nowadays doing cover song albums of other artists. Yawningly there are so many now one can almost cringe. Even Robert Plant is doing it. BUT David Bowie decided to do his version in 1973 with Pin Ups. Speaks volumes! And because of this while he was still full of ideas and creative genius it carries a hell of a lot more weight too.

Pin Ups gets plenty of airplay in this household with some excellent covers and is heads and shoulders above many failed embarrassing attempts from other musicians in recent years. Not necessarily progressive either. Highlights would have to be See Emily Play, Sorrow, and Shapes of things. Great addition to your collection. Good covers.Good all round.

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Long before cover albums became a fad (along with the equally almost obligatory MTV umplugged CD), David Bowie released this very interesting collection of cover songs that gives a clue about his musical tastes as an english teenager in the 60´s swinging London. It was also his last work with his famed backing band, The Spiders From Mars. Drummer Mick Woodmansey was fired before these sessions but guitarrist extraordinaire Mick Ronson and bassist Trevor Bolder (future Wishbone Ash and a member of Uriah Heep to this day) remained, along with celebrated pianist Mike Garson and studio ace Aynsley Dunbar replacing Woodmansey. Future Rolling Stone Ron Wood guests on one of the bonus tracks.

David Bowie gives his interpretations of songs by The Yardbirds, Them, Pretty Things, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Easybeats and The Kinks . All arrangements are respetful and quite faithful to their original form. Of course some are better than the others, but it is quite interesting to see how an original and skillful songwriter like Bowie sings his favorite tunes of the past. Sorrow, See Emily Play and Where Have All The Times Gone are some of the CD´s highlights. Bowie also shows he knew how to play some fine harmonica (plus sax and moog on some tracks) when needed to. My CD copy came with two bonus tracks: the unreleased Growin up and the Sorrow´s single b side Port Of Amsterdam. Nice additions.

Conclusion: a fun record to listen to. Not essential in any way, not to be taken too seriously either, but quite entertaining. It was the first Bowie record I ever heard (thanks to my sister´s collection) and I still like it. 3 stars.

Review by Matthew T
5 stars With Twiggy on the cover and heaps of hype Pin Ups was released back in 1973 and lasted in the charts for 4 to 5 months. Mr Bowie had decided to do an album of covers and not just any covers but what today are considered Rock,Pop and Psyche classics. With only the style that is Bowie he rips through these numbers and he is trying and giving the songs his stamp. Much maligned by the critics but for me they missed the point,so what if there is not an original on this album, the versions that David Bowie has created here are driving and rocking and this album will always be considered to be my favourite of his. I found many of his own albums great but there was always a bit of patch in them but not so with this. There is not one bad track.

Off we go with the the first track Rosalyn originally performed by The Pretty Things and he approaches it with fervour and one hard rocking song gets this album going. The single which sold by the bucket load taken of the album was Sorrow and was a hit for The Merseys who covered the song as well. He does covers of the Sid Barret ( Pink Floyd) classic See Emily Play, Easy Beats..Friday on my mind,The Who ..I Can't Explain another Pretty Things and Who cover as well as songs by Them,Yardbirds, Kinks etc, as you notice all top notch material from that era in British music.

When I bought this album about half of the songs listed on this album I had never heard in their original version myself and today I still love this album. One other note this was his last recording that he did with with The Spiders and that period was over. Classic time in the 70s and a classic album of covers which other great musicians attempt but do not succeed like this. I was given this album by a girl when I was 14 ( first thing I think I ever got off one) and I know many may wince but to me this a masterpiece and a quick history of that era ,A La David Bowie.

Review by fuxi
4 stars I can't believe this album has received such low ratings! For me, this is one of the most enjoyable albums in the Bowie canon. The recording is crisp and immaculate, the band are on FIRE, and Mike Garson's crazy piano is all over the place: a delight!

Even though I respect and enjoy nearly all of Bowie's 1970s albums, few of them give me as much pleasure as PIN UPS. Not even ZIGGY STARDUST. You may laugh if you like, but PIN UPS has far more pizzazz than comparable albums by John Lennon or Bryan Ferry that were released around the same time.

Hell, I've never even heard the 1960s originals of "Rosalyn", "Everything's Alright" or "Friday on my Mind". But I can hardly imagine they're as much fun as Bowie's. Where I do know the originals (as with "Here Comes the Night", "Shapes of Things", "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere" and "Where Have All the Good Times Gone"), I can tell that Bowie has a great time camping up the original vocals by the likes of Van Morrison or Ray Davies. Aynsley Dunbar actually surpasses Keith Moon's drumming on "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere", which also benefits from early 1970s' superior recording technique. Dunbar shines once more (and frenetically so!) on in "Friday on my Mind", and Mick Ronson has a whale of a time emulating Jeff Beck's epic solo on "Shapes of Things".

The only tracks that don't work too well are "I Can't Explain", which is unforgivably slowed down, and a rather turgid ballad called "Sorrow". The latter may, however, be of historical importance since it's the earliest track I'm aware of where you will hear Bowie croon, using his voice's lower register. Also, Syd Barrett freaks won't be too happy with Bowie's cover of "See Emily Play", since it lacks the subtlety of the Pink Floyd original. But it is bearable.

If you don't mind buying a second-hand copy, go for the (remastered) Rykodisc reissue from 1990, which boasts two fascinating bonus tracks: Jacques Brel's melodramatic "In the Port of Amsterdam" (Bowie solo, using acoustic guitar) and Bruce Springsteen's very own "Growing Up" (Bowie with band). It turns out Bowie was a Springsteen fan from day one. (Something virtually no one would have believed in the late Seventies, when Bowie and Springsteen seemed to have two mutually exclusive fan clubs.)

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars I did not expect to dislike this album this much. I mean, I knew that pretty much everybody disliked this album, considering this one of Bowie's career low points, but I didn't see how that could be possible; just how harmful could an album of covers of songs from the previous decade be? Especially when it was recorded after two albums that, at the worst, were in the top quarter of Bowie's career? Especially when it's only about half an hour long?

Well, um, this album is really bad, especially given how promising the track listing makes it look. I'm only familiar with a few of these tracks in their original versions, but they're all tracks I've always liked, and I figured that, at worst, Bowie would give them slightly eccentric tweaks that would produce alternate versions I could come back to once in a while. What I didn't expect was for him to suck so much of the life and enjoyment out of these songs, and for every single change to be one for the worse. The only track that I end up enjoying in its entirety, "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere," is the one where Bowie takes a relatively conservative approach and doesn't tweak much. People tend to offer praise towards "See Emily Play," but I'm at a loss to understand why. I do admit that the addition of an extended pseudo-psychedelic section at the end is kinda neat, but the main portion just doesn't sound good to me at all. "Where Have All the Good Times Gone?" is decent enough, but far less exuberant than the original; "I Can't Explain" is slowed down to a crawl and made sleazier, I guess, but the saxophone and David's singing don't help things much; and "Shapes of Things" is about a dozen times worse than either the Yardbirds original or the great Jeff Beck version on Truth.

So anyway, like I said, I don't know the original versions of the other tracks on here, but I'm willing to bet that the originals all sounded way better than these covers. Ronson does his best to save the album from Bowie's, um, "inspirations" and his awful singing, which is what saves the album from an even lower grade, but even he can only do so much. I think what ultimately irritates me the most about the album is that it sounds like a two-week tossoff project by a drug-addled superstar who's come to believe his own press, which I'm guessing isn't too far from the truth. Bowie could have, nay, should have made something better out of this project, but as is, it's an album that most people can do without.

Review by Warthur
5 stars After Aladdin Sane, Bowie decided that he wanted to take a bit more time about crafting its followup, Diamond Dogs - but his record company were constantly pestering him for more material, even going so far as to reissue Space Oddity and The Man Who Sold the World with anachronistic cover art depicting Bowie during his Ziggy Stardust phase. To placate them whilst he worked on the abortive 1984 musical which would become Diamond Dogs, he quickly cut this album of covers, giving a dirty glam rock veneer to Bowie's favourite songs from the Swinging London scene of the 1960s.

Aside from Sorrow, which is genuinely affecting, most of the songs here suffer on most issues from a mastering job which fails to tease out the wild garage rock stylings that Bowie was trying to bring to the material here - a sound reminiscent of Bowie not so much directly covering the material as Bowie covering the Stooges covering the Britpop originals. Thankfully, the Five Years boxed set and its accompanying reissues of the individual albums solves this issue magnificently, with the remasters finally teasing out the true quality of the material. (Possibly it helps that the set includes the Santa Monica '72 live release, which showcases Bowie and Spiders in a garage rock mood that could have helped the remastering crew find the appropriate spin to put on the material.) Star rating is for that issue of the album; earlier CD issues lose several stars for burying the release's charms.

2 stars This is David Bowie's first and only cover album,shortly after he killed his Ziggy Stardust character. But,he still works with The Spiders minus Mick Woodmansey. Pin Ups open with ''Rosalyn'' this is a very Proto-Punk track.Bowie gives this song a new edge. ''Here comes The Night'' is a gre ... (read more)

Report this review (#178197) | Posted by ziggystardust360 | Friday, July 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAVID BOWIE "Pin Ups"