PIN UPS

1. Rosalyn (Jimmy Duncan, Bill Farley) - 2:27
2. Here Comes the Night (Bert Berns) - 3:09
3. I Wish You Would (Billy Boy Arnold) - 2:40
4. See Emily Play (Syd Barrett) - 4:03
5. Everything's Alright (Nickey Crouch, John Konrad, Simon Stavely, Stuart James, Keith Karlson) - 2:26
6. I Can't Explain (Pete Townshend) - 2:07

* Ron Wood - guitar on Growin' Up

RCA - 1973
Rykodisc/EMI Reissue 1990
EMI/Virgin Reissue 1999

Thanks to micky for the addition
and to Tarcisio Moura for the last updates

DAVID BOWIE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups Music

Import · Remastered
Wea Japan 2014
BOWIE, DAVID - PIN-UPS : 2015 REMASTERBOWIE, DAVID - PIN-UPS : 2015 REMASTER
unknown
Pin Ups { Special Limited Edition Picture Disc } [ VINYL LP Record Album ]Pin Ups { Special Limited Edition Picture Disc } [ VINYL LP Record Album ]
Limited Edition
RCA Records Ltd., London
Vinyl$79.97
PIN-UPS VINYL LP[RS1003]1973 DAVID BOWIEPIN-UPS VINYL LP[RS1003]1973 DAVID BOWIE
RCA
Vinyl$44.50 (used)
Bowie Pin UpsBowie Pin Ups
RCA Victor
Vinyl$18.00 (used)
Pin Ups [Japanese Import] by David Bowie (2005-07-06)Pin Ups [Japanese Import] by David Bowie (2005-07-06)
Toshiba EMI (2005-07-06)
Pin Ups by David Bowie [Music CD]Pin Ups by David Bowie [Music CD]
EMI
Pin Ups by Rhino/Parlophone (2015-01-01)Pin Ups by Rhino/Parlophone (2015-01-01)
Rhino/Parlophone (2015-01-01)
Pin Ups by Wea Japan (2014-01-29)Pin Ups by Wea Japan (2014-01-29)
Wea Japan (2014-01-29)
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups LP Original 1st Press RCA APL1-0291 Orange Label USD $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
DAVID BOWIE "PIN UPS" CD NEW+ USD $15.66 Buy It Now 6h 49m
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS 2015 REMASTER CD NEW USD $12.65 Buy It Now 6h 57m
David Bowie - Pin Ups [Remastered] (2015) New & Sealed USD $9.33 Buy It Now 10h 58m
david bowie 1972 Thailand 2 small pages pin up /article rolling stones jagger USD $8.18 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Pinups (1973) JAPAN LTD MINI LP CD SEALED USD $19.99 Buy It Now 13h 7m
David Bowie "PIN UPS" cassette tape RCA USD $27.24 [0 bids]
David Bowie. Pin Ups LP New 1st US Vinyl Pressing. Blackstar USD $40.88 [0 bids]
David Bowie Pin ups 8 Track Original 1973 RCA APS1-0291 Very Rare Ziggy USD $9.99 Buy It Now 14h 25m
DAVID BOWIE PINUPS 12" Vinyl LP Record 1970s South African Pressing - 217 S76 USD $24.50 [5 bids]
DAVID BOWIE / 1st pressing Pinups RCA 1973 LP / Nice one VG+++ USD $36.45 Buy It Now 18h 48m
David Bowie 73 & TWIGGY PIN UP ALBUM 10x8 Photo USD $4.07 Buy It Now 21h 36m
David Bowie Pin Ups cassette tape USD $3.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE "PIN UPS" ORIG Orange RCA Dynaflex vintage vinyl classic LP beauty USD $9.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE / PIN UPS, Rare Japan Orig. 1ST PRESS LP w/OBI MINT! RCA-6174 USD $12.50 [4 bids]
Pin Ups by David Bowie [Label: Rhino/Parlophone] [Format: Audio CD] BRAND NEW USD $11.98 Buy It Now 1 day
PinUps (2015 Remastered Version), David Bowie, Vinyl, 0825646289424 USD $20.63 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE / PINUPS JAPAN NEW CD(SEALED) 2014 REISSUE USD $22.99 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie - PinUps (Vinyl LP / Album) (New) USD $26.65 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie - PinUps (Vinyl LP / Album) (New) USD $26.24 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE-Pin-Ups-LP Vinyl-Covers-Rosalyn-Favs '64-'67-Remastered 180 Vinyl LP USD $24.98 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie Pinups LP sealed 180 gm vinyl RE reissue 2016 USD $24.98 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie - Pin Ups - 180gram Vinyl LP *NEW & SEALED* USD $17.03 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE PINUPS JAPAN CD TOCP-53550 OBI USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie - PinUps [LP] (180 Gram, 2015 Remaster) USD $27.00 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE - PIN UPS - 1973 LP - 1981 GERMAN PRESS NL 84653 BLACK LABELS EX/EX USD $34.07 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie Pinups RCA 8 trac tape USD $4.50 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE - PIN-UPS LP - 1983 RCA INTERNATIONAL NL 84653 EXCELLENT- VINYL USD $6.80 [0 bids]
David Bowie ?Pinups 12" Vinyl LP 1st UK Press RS 1003 A3E / B3E USD $25.88 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE 'PINUPS' 1973 STEREO LP VG/VG USD $10.89 [0 bids]
David Bowie Pin Ups Never Used RCA 8 Track Stereo Old Store Stock USD $9.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE lp PINUPS brazil ID# 46925 GATEFOLD COVER --1990 EMI 79476 USD $75.00 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie - Pin Ups - REMASTERED 2015 - CD NEW & SEALED USD $10.89 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE: pin ups RYKO CLEAR VINYL USD $30.99 [1 bids]
David Bowie, Bowie Pinups, 12" LP - A1 A2 USD $5.44 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE PINUPS 1st RCA Victor UK LP 1973 A2/B2 w/ INSERT USD $40.86 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE - PINUPS SEALED RYKO LP 1990 CLEAR VINYL DMM MASTER #'d # 1724 USD $149.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE "PINUPS" 12 tracks Japan CD Mini-LP Sleeve New, Sealed, Authentic USD $29.95 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie-Pinups, RCAVictor AQL0291, NM USD $20.00 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Pinups New Wave Rock w/innerRECORD LP VG++ USD $45.00 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie Pin ups 8 Track Original 1973 RCA APS1-0291 Very Rare Ziggy ! USD $5.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups LP 12 Track 180 Gram 2015 Remastered Edition With Insert (db USD $36.64 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE-PINUPS-JAPAN CD D20 USD $18.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE-PIN UPS-JAPAN CD C68 USD $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
8 Track cartridge tape tested David Bowie - Pin Ups - P8S11669 USD $17.03 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie - Vinyl Albums Bundle: Oddity / Man Who / Aladdin / PinUps LPs *NEW* USD $113.84 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups LP 12 Track Orange Label Issue A2t/b2ut Matrix With Insert ( USD $43.59 Buy It Now 3 days
PROMO WHITE LABEL / DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS / MINT VINYL JPN ORIGINAL USD $149.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE PINUPS - EU IMPORT VINYL LP NEW & SEALED USD $23.66 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie Pin ups Original Vinyl USD $20.44 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS 1973 LP Orange RCA Mainman Canadian Lovely vinyl USD $10.89 [0 bids]
Rare David Bowie Pinups EMI CDP7947672 14 Track Bonus ADD Emi Uk 1st Run USD $61.81 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE - PINUPS (REMASTERED 2015) CD NEW+ USD $14.56 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie Pin Ups vinyl record APL1-0291 USD $40.00 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie Picture Disc Pin Ups SEALED! LP Very Low # RARE! OOP! Ziggy stardust USD $220.00 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups + 2 Bonus Tracks Used USD $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups JAPANESE 70's PRESS LP G/F w/Obi & Insert SUPERB CONDITION USD $240.00 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups LP Vinyl VG+ Cover VG Sleeve 1973 RCA APL1 0291 USD $27.99 Buy It Now 4 days
20/10/73PN15 DAVID BOWIE : PIN UPS ADVERT 15X11" USD $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE Pinups 180-gram VINYL LP New/Sealed Import Out of Print Mick Ronson USD $43.99 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie Pinups Rare SEALED Vinyl LP Reissue UK Pin-Ups + Insert USD $21.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS ORIGINAL CASSETTE w/Two Bonus Tracks USD $35.99 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie - Pin Ups - 1973 Vinyl LP Record 1st Press APL1-0291 USD $59.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups 1973 French Vinyl LP orange RCA EXCELLENT CONDITION USD $27.24 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie PINUPS 1973 PROMO LP SEALED NEW MINT! pre-hype circulation run! USD $149.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Rare David Bowie Pinups Pin-Ups Mini Lp Cd TOCP-70146 Japan Version! **New** USD $35.00 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE/TWIGGY-PIN UPS-Import LP Picture Disc/Album Cover FRAMED w/Ticket USD $177.00 Buy It Now 4 days
david bowie pinups USD $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE Pinups RCA VICTOR RECORDS 1973 VG original orange label pressing USD $17.99 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie - Pinups [CD New] USD $11.09 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie- Pinups LP APL1-0291 Mint USD $15.00 [0 bids]
Pinups - David Bowie 825646283385 (CD Used Very Good) USD $9.56 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE - PINUPS / USED VINYL LP / 1973 RCA VICTOR APL-1-0291 USD $20.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Pinups [Remastered] [9/25] by David Bowie (CD, Sep-2015, Atlantic (Label)) USD $9.13 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie, Bowie Pinups, 12" LP - Scrached A1 A2 USD $5.44 [0 bids]
NM/NM DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups JAPAN LP RPL-2124 1983 w/OBI+INSERT unplayed USD $44.99 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie pinups pin ups rca 1973 apl10291 w/pic inner sleeve glam rock oop LP USD $49.00 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie Pin Ups LPS 1973 RCA Records APL1-0291-A 1st Pressing With Insert USD $29.99 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie - Pinups (NEW VINYL LP) USD $28.60 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE Vinyl LP Pin-Ups, (Orange RCA Victor) EX USD $35.41 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie - Pinups, Japan CD New w/OBI USD $34.00 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE Pin-Ups LP Review Music Press Article/Cutting 1973 USD $13.63 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS USA CASSETTE RCA PK11669 1973 COVER VERSIONS NEAR MINT USD $17.70 Buy It Now 5 days
Sealed David Bowie Pinups UK Simply Vinyl LP Free Shipping USD $49.95 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS LP RCA VICTOR ORANGE LABEL DYNAFLEX APL1-0291 IN SHRINK USD $41.06 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE~PINUPS~RCA 0291~RARE~DYNOFLEX~~ POP LP USD $39.99 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE SORROW b/w AMSTERDAM RCA Victor 1st UK 45 7" 1973 A3/B3 Pin-Ups USD $4.07 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE SORROW b/w AMSTERDAM RCA Victor 1st US 45 7" 1973 A3/B3 Pin-Ups USD $13.61 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE - Pin Ups + 2 bonus tracks Rykodisc (Ryko) CD RARE OOP USD $14.99 [0 bids]
USD $19.99 Buy It Now
CASSETTE: DAVID BOWIE Pinups USA ROCK POP GLAM USD $13.61 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE PINUPS rca 73 A-2TB-2UT UK/Canada orig Lp ex +insert USD $21.79 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie **Pinups **Brand New 180 Gram Record LP Vinyl USD $19.88 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE - Pinups - VINYL LP remastered 2016 USD $29.00 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie - Pinups / Scary Monsters (CD-Maximum`2000) Russian USD $20.00 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS REMASTERED LP 180g NEW VINYL USD $14.31 Buy It Now 6 days
David Bowie, Pin Ups (Remastered), Excellent USD $20.91 Buy It Now 6 days
David Bowie - Pinups - 1973 RCA USD $9.99 [0 bids]
David Bowie - PinUps (180 Gram Vinyl) USD $19.79 Buy It Now 6 days
NEW 2015 DAVID BOWIE Pinups JAPAN CD [Free Shipping] [F/S] USD $26.99 Buy It Now 6 days
David Bowie - Pinups - 1973 RCA Vinyl LP Record Album VG/VG+ USD $20.00 Buy It Now 6 days
0 result found for "DAVID BOWIE"
Visit LPCDressisues.com for more results
More places to buy DAVID BOWIE music online Buy DAVID BOWIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DAVID BOWIE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(6%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(11%)

DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars Even if this album is made of covers, it is the fourth one that David released in twenty-two months!

In the meantime, David/Ziggy put an end (?) to his stage life on July 3rd, London. Hammersmith Odeon. Bowie said in front of a petrified audience: "From all the shows from this tour, this one will be the most remembered because it is not only the last one of this tour. It is the last one.for ever". And there we went for "Rock'n'Roll Suicide".

Even if he killed Ziggy, Bolder and Ronson will still survive for a while and do play on this recording (but it will be their last album with Bowie). The press unanimously shot it down but the fans pushed it again at the first spot of the UK charts.

Still, this is not a good album IMO. My fave songs were (and still are) "Here Comes The Night" (from "Them"), "Friday On My Mind" ("The Easybeats") and "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" ("The Who"). The Floyd cover ("See Emily Play") is average, less childish than the original but not really convincing. David was rather attracted by Syd with whom he had lots of things in common in the late sixties.

On a remastered CD edition, one can find a cover from Maître Jacques. This version of "Amsterdam" is not bad but during the finale, David is quite noisy in his vocals. The passion of Maître Jacques is not very well represented. But so far, I've never heard someone (except "Ange", maybe) capable of convincing me with one of his covers.

Bowie's love for Brel is not new: as soon as in 1967, he was covering him already. At the end of the day, you might well add this one in the good category. It backed up "Let's Spend The Night Together". At least in Belgium.

The other songs are quite dispensable. I have never really liked this album. I was more on the side of the critics than of the fans. Maybe premonitory of my "no more heroes" philosophy which will see the light in 78. And will never leave me.

Two stars. One of his weakest album.

Review by Chris S
3 stars Notably there are many artists nowadays doing cover song albums of other artists. Yawningly there are so many now one can almost cringe. Even Robert Plant is doing it. BUT David Bowie decided to do his version in 1973 with Pin Ups. Speaks volumes! And because of this while he was still full of ideas and creative genius it carries a hell of a lot more weight too.

Pin Ups gets plenty of airplay in this household with some excellent covers and is heads and shoulders above many failed embarrassing attempts from other musicians in recent years. Not necessarily progressive either. Highlights would have to be See Emily Play, Sorrow, and Shapes of things. Great addition to your collection. Good covers.Good all round.

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Long before cover albums became a fad (along with the equally almost obligatory MTV umplugged CD), David Bowie released this very interesting collection of cover songs that gives a clue about his musical tastes as an english teenager in the 60´s swinging London. It was also his last work with his famed backing band, The Spiders From Mars. Drummer Mick Woodmansey was fired before these sessions but guitarrist extraordinaire Mick Ronson and bassist Trevor Bolder (future Wishbone Ash and a member of Uriah Heep to this day) remained, along with celebrated pianist Mike Garson and studio ace Aynsley Dunbar replacing Woodmansey. Future Rolling Stone Ron Wood guests on one of the bonus tracks.

David Bowie gives his interpretations of songs by The Yardbirds, Them, Pretty Things, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Easybeats and The Kinks . All arrangements are respetful and quite faithful to their original form. Of course some are better than the others, but it is quite interesting to see how an original and skillful songwriter like Bowie sings his favorite tunes of the past. Sorrow, See Emily Play and Where Have All The Times Gone are some of the CD´s highlights. Bowie also shows he knew how to play some fine harmonica (plus sax and moog on some tracks) when needed to. My CD copy came with two bonus tracks: the unreleased Growin up and the Sorrow´s single b side Port Of Amsterdam. Nice additions.

Conclusion: a fun record to listen to. Not essential in any way, not to be taken too seriously either, but quite entertaining. It was the first Bowie record I ever heard (thanks to my sister´s collection) and I still like it. 3 stars.

Review by Matthew T
5 stars With Twiggy on the cover and heaps of hype Pin Ups was released back in 1973 and lasted in the charts for 4 to 5 months. Mr Bowie had decided to do an album of covers and not just any covers but what today are considered Rock,Pop and Psyche classics. With only the style that is Bowie he rips through these numbers and he is trying and giving the songs his stamp. Much maligned by the critics but for me they missed the point,so what if there is not an original on this album, the versions that David Bowie has created here are driving and rocking and this album will always be considered to be my favourite of his. I found many of his own albums great but there was always a bit of patch in them but not so with this. There is not one bad track.

Off we go with the the first track Rosalyn originally performed by The Pretty Things and he approaches it with fervour and one hard rocking song gets this album going. The single which sold by the bucket load taken of the album was Sorrow and was a hit for The Merseys who covered the song as well. He does covers of the Sid Barret ( Pink Floyd) classic See Emily Play, Easy Beats..Friday on my mind,The Who ..I Can't Explain another Pretty Things and Who cover as well as songs by Them,Yardbirds, Kinks etc, as you notice all top notch material from that era in British music.

When I bought this album about half of the songs listed on this album I had never heard in their original version myself and today I still love this album. One other note this was his last recording that he did with with The Spiders and that period was over. Classic time in the 70s and a classic album of covers which other great musicians attempt but do not succeed like this. I was given this album by a girl when I was 14 ( first thing I think I ever got off one) and I know many may wince but to me this a masterpiece and a quick history of that era ,A La David Bowie.

Review by fuxi
4 stars I can't believe this album has received such low ratings! For me, this is one of the most enjoyable albums in the Bowie canon. The recording is crisp and immaculate, the band are on FIRE, and Mike Garson's crazy piano is all over the place: a delight!

Even though I respect and enjoy nearly all of Bowie's 1970s albums, few of them give me as much pleasure as PIN UPS. Not even ZIGGY STARDUST. You may laugh if you like, but PIN UPS has far more pizzazz than comparable albums by John Lennon or Bryan Ferry that were released around the same time.

Hell, I've never even heard the 1960s originals of "Rosalyn", "Everything's Alright" or "Friday on my Mind". But I can hardly imagine they're as much fun as Bowie's. Where I do know the originals (as with "Here Comes the Night", "Shapes of Things", "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere" and "Where Have All the Good Times Gone"), I can tell that Bowie has a great time camping up the original vocals by the likes of Van Morrison or Ray Davies. Aynsley Dunbar actually surpasses Keith Moon's drumming on "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere", which also benefits from early 1970s' superior recording technique. Dunbar shines once more (and frenetically so!) on in "Friday on my Mind", and Mick Ronson has a whale of a time emulating Jeff Beck's epic solo on "Shapes of Things".

The only tracks that don't work too well are "I Can't Explain", which is unforgivably slowed down, and a rather turgid ballad called "Sorrow". The latter may, however, be of historical importance since it's the earliest track I'm aware of where you will hear Bowie croon, using his voice's lower register. Also, Syd Barrett freaks won't be too happy with Bowie's cover of "See Emily Play", since it lacks the subtlety of the Pink Floyd original. But it is bearable.

If you don't mind buying a second-hand copy, go for the (remastered) Rykodisc reissue from 1990, which boasts two fascinating bonus tracks: Jacques Brel's melodramatic "In the Port of Amsterdam" (Bowie solo, using acoustic guitar) and Bruce Springsteen's very own "Growing Up" (Bowie with band). It turns out Bowie was a Springsteen fan from day one. (Something virtually no one would have believed in the late Seventies, when Bowie and Springsteen seemed to have two mutually exclusive fan clubs.)

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars I did not expect to dislike this album this much. I mean, I knew that pretty much everybody disliked this album, considering this one of Bowie's career low points, but I didn't see how that could be possible; just how harmful could an album of covers of songs from the previous decade be? Especially when it was recorded after two albums that, at the worst, were in the top quarter of Bowie's career? Especially when it's only about half an hour long?

Well, um, this album is really bad, especially given how promising the track listing makes it look. I'm only familiar with a few of these tracks in their original versions, but they're all tracks I've always liked, and I figured that, at worst, Bowie would give them slightly eccentric tweaks that would produce alternate versions I could come back to once in a while. What I didn't expect was for him to suck so much of the life and enjoyment out of these songs, and for every single change to be one for the worse. The only track that I end up enjoying in its entirety, "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere," is the one where Bowie takes a relatively conservative approach and doesn't tweak much. People tend to offer praise towards "See Emily Play," but I'm at a loss to understand why. I do admit that the addition of an extended pseudo-psychedelic section at the end is kinda neat, but the main portion just doesn't sound good to me at all. "Where Have All the Good Times Gone?" is decent enough, but far less exuberant than the original; "I Can't Explain" is slowed down to a crawl and made sleazier, I guess, but the saxophone and David's singing don't help things much; and "Shapes of Things" is about a dozen times worse than either the Yardbirds original or the great Jeff Beck version on Truth.

So anyway, like I said, I don't know the original versions of the other tracks on here, but I'm willing to bet that the originals all sounded way better than these covers. Ronson does his best to save the album from Bowie's, um, "inspirations" and his awful singing, which is what saves the album from an even lower grade, but even he can only do so much. I think what ultimately irritates me the most about the album is that it sounds like a two-week tossoff project by a drug-addled superstar who's come to believe his own press, which I'm guessing isn't too far from the truth. Bowie could have, nay, should have made something better out of this project, but as is, it's an album that most people can do without.

Review by Warthur
5 stars After Aladdin Sane, Bowie decided that he wanted to take a bit more time about crafting its followup, Diamond Dogs - but his record company were constantly pestering him for more material, even going so far as to reissue Space Oddity and The Man Who Sold the World with anachronistic cover art depicting Bowie during his Ziggy Stardust phase. To placate them whilst he worked on the abortive 1984 musical which would become Diamond Dogs, he quickly cut this album of covers, giving a dirty glam rock veneer to Bowie's favourite songs from the Swinging London scene of the 1960s.

Aside from Sorrow, which is genuinely affecting, most of the songs here suffer on most issues from a mastering job which fails to tease out the wild garage rock stylings that Bowie was trying to bring to the material here - a sound reminiscent of Bowie not so much directly covering the material as Bowie covering the Stooges covering the Britpop originals. Thankfully, the Five Years boxed set and its accompanying reissues of the individual albums solves this issue magnificently, with the remasters finally teasing out the true quality of the material. (Possibly it helps that the set includes the Santa Monica '72 live release, which showcases Bowie and Spiders in a garage rock mood that could have helped the remastering crew find the appropriate spin to put on the material.) Star rating is for that issue of the album; earlier CD issues lose several stars for burying the release's charms.

2 stars This is David Bowie's first and only cover album,shortly after he killed his Ziggy Stardust character. But,he still works with The Spiders minus Mick Woodmansey. Pin Ups open with ''Rosalyn'' this is a very Proto-Punk track.Bowie gives this song a new edge. ''Here comes The Night'' is a gre ... (read more)

Report this review (#178197) | Posted by ziggystardust360 | Friday, July 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAVID BOWIE "Pin Ups"