EARTHLING

Good, but non-essential

Buy DAVID BOWIE Music
Studio Album, released in 1997

1. Little Wonder (6:02)
2. Looking for Satellites (5:21)
3. Battle for Britain (The Letter) (4:49)
4. Seven Years in Tibet (6:22)
5. Dead Man Walking (7:26)
6. Telling Lies (4:50)
7. The Last Thing You Should Do (4:58)
8. I'm Afraid of Americans (5:00)
9. Law (Earthlings on Fire) (4:49)

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling lyrics

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling tabs

- David Bowie / vocals, guitar, alto saxophone, samples, keyboards
- Reeves Gabrels / programming, synthesizers, real and sampled guitars, vocals
- Mark Plati / programming, loops, samples, keyboards
- Gail Ann Dorsey / bass, vocals
- Zachary Alford / drum loops, acoustic drums, electronic percussion
- Mike Garson / keyboards, piano

Original issue: Arista Records (UK), Virgin (USA)
Reissues on Columbia Records

Thanks to classicrocker for the addition

DAVID BOWIE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DAVID BOWIE Earthling Music

Best of David BowieBest of David Bowie
Parlophone 2006
Hunky DoryHunky Dory
Parlophone 2008
Ziggy StardustZiggy Stardust
Parlophone 1999
Moulin Rouge! Music from Baz Luhrmann's FilmMoulin Rouge! Music from Baz Luhrmann's Film
Soundtrack
Interscope Records 2001
The Next Day (Deluxe Edition)The Next Day (Deluxe Edition)
Columbia 2013
30m 52s
DAVID BOWIE JAPAN OBI A SECOND FACE US $24.99 Buy It Now 34m 18s
David Bowie / Another Face / Decca US $4.97 [0 bids]
35m 49s
David Bowie - Self Titled 180g Vinyl 2LP Record - Mono & Stereo Versions US $23.47 Buy It Now 36m 20s
David Bowie Tonight Cassette Tape 1984 EMI 4XJ-517138 Cover Songs Iggy Pop Rock US $4.99 Buy It Now 38m 4s
David Bowie Tin Machine 1991 JAPAN RARE PROMO CD US $160.00 Buy It Now 40m 17s
David Bowie Where Are We Now? JAPAN PROMO CDR RARE HARD TO FIND!! US $77.99 Buy It Now 40m 17s
Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure 3" CD Single US $39.95 Buy It Now 48m 4s
David Bowie - Scary Monsters LP RCA Black BOWLP2 A3 B1 US $33.20 Buy It Now 48m 12s
DAVID BOWIE: Space Oddity LP (Euro, red vinyl, reissue) Rock & Pop US $25.00 Buy It Now 49m 21s
David Bowie 70s ROCK RADIO SHOW LP RCA Vol 1 1980 USA US $14.98 Buy It Now 50m 12s
David Bowie Golden Years Fashions Promotional Display Card for picture disc US $9.47 Buy It Now 52m 9s
DAVID BOWIE UK 1999 CD Single THURSDAY'S CHILD VSCDT1753 NearMINT US $6.63 Buy It Now 52m 25s
David Bowie Life on Mars Fashions Promotional Display Card for picture disc US $9.47 Buy It Now 52m 36s
David Bowie Sound and Vision Fashions Promotional Display Card for picture disc US $9.47 Buy It Now 53m 50s
DAVID BOWIE - 'ALIEN (MWFTE)' - MUG, LARGE KEYRING & JUMBO FRIDGE MAGNET SET US $12.46 Buy It Now 54m 16s
David Bowie Space Oddity Fashions Promotional Display Card for picture disc US $9.47 Buy It Now 54m 17s
David Bowie Tonight Canada 7" Poster Sleeve US $8.99 Buy It Now 55m 22s
David Bowie,Pin Ups,8 Track Tape,Tested,Outer Sleeve,Rosalyn,Don't Bring Me Down US $7.99 Buy It Now 55m 31s
David Bowie - Scary Monsters LP RCA PL13647 German Press -A B/1 US $24.89 Buy It Now 56m 55s
DAVID BOWIE YOUNG AMERICANS RARE 7" 45 PROMO RCA 1975 LONG/SHORT US $3.99 [1 bids]
57m 37s
David Bowie March 1986 - Sunday Extra Supplement from Today newspaper US $2.91 [0 bids]
57m 58s
DAVID BOWIE-THE LAUGHING GNOME DERAM 7" SINGLE US $9.95 Buy It Now 58m 49s
David Bowie - Tin Machine LP + Printed Inner EMI MTLS1044 US $24.89 Buy It Now 1h 3m
DAVID BOWIE UK 2000 CD Single SEVEN Part 2 with POSTER Nine Inch Nails NearMINT US $8.29 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Low [Remaster] by David Bowie (CD, Sep-1999, Virgin) US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
David Bowie Blue Jean 45 7" BLUE VINYL P/S US $4.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE ZIGGY STARDUST JAPAN OBI RCA 6050 US $499.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
David Bowie - Pin Ups LP + Printed Insert RCA Black RCALP3004 US $24.89 Buy It Now 1h 15m
David Bowie Reality Dual Disc CD/DVD Set! OOP! US $6.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE cd Heathen MINT RARE CD ACETATE Advance 2001 12tk Test Press PROMO US $11.98 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE /ABSOLUTE BIGINNERS Japan analog EP US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 18m
DAVID BOWIE PROMO ONLY ADVANCE CVR WLP SCARY MONSTERS LP Japanese JPN Japan NM US $349.33 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Changesbowie CD, 1990 Ryko Distribution, IFPI 8119, Remastered US $3.00 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE scary monsters LP 10 track black/silver label design with insert (b US $13.49 Buy It Now 1h 30m
DAVID BOWIE Earthling CD, 1997 Virgin Records, IFPI 1674 US $3.50 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE - LOVE IS LOST (HELLO STEVE REICH MIX) 12" VINYL (December 16th) US $14.93 Buy It Now 1h 31m
David Bowie - BAAL 12" Single RCA PG45092 German US $16.59 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Rare cd THE MAN FROM THE MOON-Rocket Attack digipack david Bowie savior machine US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
DAVID BOWIE the Man Who Sold The World LP with mint POSTER 1972 RARE 4816 US $31.00 [2 bids]
David Bowie - Let's Dance - EMI - 1983 #228318 US $8.29 Buy It Now 1h 42m
David Bowie Young Americans LP RCA tan label 1975 1st US press APL1-0998 Lennon US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Ava Cherry -- Astronettes Sessions CD 1973 -- David Bowie Zappa Brian Wilson US $9.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE The Heart's Filthy Lesson [Maxi Single] CD, 1995 Virgin, *RARE* US $8.95 [0 bids]
TEST PRESS DAVID BOWIE 7" DAY IN DAY OUT US $499.99 Buy It Now 2h
QUEEN/DAVID BOWIE - UNDER PRESSURE (PARLOPHONE 7") US $1.64 Buy It Now 2h 4m
David Bowie/Pat Metheny Group(7" Vinyl)This Is Not America-EA19 US $8.29 Buy It Now 2h 10m
DAVID BOWIE - LET'S DANCE - BAILEMOS - URUGUAY - RARE (4 pics) US $120.00 Buy It Now 2h 16m
DAVID BOWIE 'Hours...' CD, 1999, Virgin Records, IFPI 1655 US $5.00 [0 bids]
David Bowie Professional Backing Track CD2 US $8.29 Buy It Now 2h 17m
DAVID BOWIE & IGGY POP PROFESSIONAL BACKING TRACK CD US $8.29 Buy It Now 2h 18m
David Bowie StationToStation RCA APS1-1327 US $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Lou Reed Transformer 12" LP 1972 RCA AYL1-3806 N/M Rock David Bowie Mike Ronson US $19.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Reality CD, 2003, Columbia, IFPI 5005, CTDP 111587 US $3.00 [0 bids]
Hunky Dory [Remaster] by David Bowie (used CD) 1971/1999 Virgin (for BMG Direct) US $3.89 [0 bids]
1984 45 RPM Record DAVID BOWIE Blue Jean Dancing With The Big Boys BLUE RECORD US $9.25 Buy It Now 2h 29m
David Bowie - Let's dance LP 12" Vinyl US $4.15 [0 bids]
David Bowie Wild Is The Wind 7" Single - VG US $0.83 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Space Oddity (space Oddity 40th Anniversary Edition) NEW LP US $30.64 Buy It Now 2h 39m
DAVID BOWIE - "YOUNG AMERICANS", ORIGINAL LABEL, NEAR MINT US $14.50 [7 bids]
`Noir Paranoic` DAVID BOWIE Art Print Typography Song Lyrics Signed Wall Poster US $8.29 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Aladdin Sane - Original RCA - Excellent Condition US $16.59 [0 bids]
3h
David Bowie Lot Of 2 UK 7"s Ashes To Ashes Fashion No Stamps US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 3m
David Bowie laughing gnome VRARE Deram UK export EX 1967 US $59.00 [0 bids]
UK CASSETTE SINGLE David Bowie -- Never Let Me Down -- EMI America TCEA 239 US $17.12 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Space Oddity - Original RCA - Excellent Condition US $16.59 [0 bids]
ADVNCE PROMO CD w/ DAVID BOWIE Morcheeba SINEAD O'CONNOR Duncan Sheik SPEARHEAD US $34.99 Buy It Now 3h 7m
David Bowie - Scary Monsters- Original RCA - Excellent Condition US $13.27 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE SCARY MONSTERS RARE OOP USA RYKO RYKODISC/BMG ISSUE CD BONUS TRKS US $29.25 Buy It Now 3h 10m
David Bowie - John I'm Only Dancing Large Original Advert 1979 US $16.54 Buy It Now 3h 12m
David Bowie - Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence - Original Virgin - EX+ Condition US $16.59 [0 bids]
American Psycho by Original Soundtrack (CD) David Bowie, Cure, New Order, more.. US $18.99 Buy It Now 3h 15m
DAVID BOWIE HUNKY DORY OOP RARE OOP USA RYKO CD RYKODISC/BMG ISSUE BONUS TRACKS US $26.00 Buy It Now 3h 20m
DAVID BOWIE BLUE JEAN RARE ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV 1ST PRESS 1984 EX/EX- US $16.00 Buy It Now 3h 20m
DAVID BOWIE ALADDIN SANE CANADA PRESSING 1973 EX-/EX US $35.00 Buy It Now 3h 20m
DAVID BOWIE PIN-UPS ENGLAND PRESS MATRIX INTS 5236 A-1U/B-1U 1973 EX-/EX US $32.00 Buy It Now 3h 20m
DAVID BOWIE Raw Moon Rehearsals Vancouver 1976 2x CD Mint Original Silver Copy US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Reality by David Bowie (CD, Sep-2003, Columbia (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Space Oddity Remastered CD US $3.99 [1 bids]
1978 Vinyl Record LP 12" classic rock THE LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA david bowie US $1.66 Buy It Now 3h 32m
david bowie - telling lies cd single US $11.75 Buy It Now 3h 41m
RARE David Bowie Drag Lover picture disc US $19.99 [0 bids]
COMPLETE DAVID BOWIE - rare 2000 Edition , New with miniscule shelf mark US $71.23 Buy It Now 3h 47m
COMPLETE DAVID BOWIE by Nicholas Pegg , rare deleted edition , new US $89.50 Buy It Now 3h 49m
David Bowie Little Wonder Import PROMO 12" US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 3m
David Bowie - Aladdin Sane - 40th Anniversary Edition 10 Track Promo CD (B20) US $24.89 Buy It Now 4h 5m
DAVID BOWIE THE LITTLE BLACK SONG BOOK 90+ SONGS! CHORDS / LYRICS GUITAR PIANO US $20.47 Buy It Now 4h 8m
The Deram Anthology 1966-1968 by David Bowie (CD, Aug-1997, Deram (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Iggy Pop & David Bowie - Hello Cleveland - Live ! NEW CD US $15.61 Buy It Now 4h 13m
Rock 45 DAVID BOWIE China Girl on EMI America 7" US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Rock 12" DAVID BOWIE Fashion NM UK EB184 US $15.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Rock 12" DAVID BOWIE China Girl - Shake It NM UK EB184 US $15.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Rock 12" DAVID BOWIE When The Wind Blows NM UK EB184 US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
10" DAVID BOWIE Don't Be Fooled By The Name NM! UK EB183 US $18.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Rock DAVID BOWIE Interview NM DJ Promo EB183 US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Rock 12" DAVID BOWIE Fashion - Disco Remix NM GERMAN EB184 US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Rock 12" DAVID BOWIE Time Will Crawl NM UK Promo EB184 US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Rock 12" DAVID BOWIE Day-In Day-Out - Julie NM EB183 US $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Rock 12" DAVID BOWIE John I'm Only Dancing NM GERMAN DJ EB183 US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Rock 12" DAVID BOWIE Loving The Alien NM- UK w/POSTER EB184 US $17.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m

More places to buy DAVID BOWIE music online Buy DAVID BOWIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DAVID BOWIE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DAVID BOWIE Earthling ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(7%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(26%)

DAVID BOWIE Earthling reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars WHERE IS THE LITTLE WONDER ?

If you think that "Outside" was a one shot album to feature techno beats or deep house investigations; you were wrong. Here comes "Earthling".

Although some of the songs could be considered as straight forward Bowie numbers, these background rhythms are completely denaturizing them. But this is only my opinion.

I have never been into this type of music, and even being a Bowie fan, I'm not deaf, dumb and blind (remember the no more heroes stuff). Lots of heavy post-grunge sounds as well, make this album rather difficult to bear.

I particularly hate "Dead Man Walking" and its house beat. But actually I don't like this album at all. At least "Outside" had an interesting storyboard, even if the music could never move me. "Earthling" doesn't have this feature.

As usual, the clips are highly creative and might be sufficient to apprehend this album. The live version of "Telling Lies" recorded in Amsterdam (Paradiso) and available on "LiveAndWell.com" is far much superior to the studio one. Simply rocking. But I like this.

One of the only bearable song to my ears is "I'm Afraid Of Americans". It depicts the invasion of the American "culture" all over the world (David once mentioned that he first thought of this while seeing the opening of the Mac Donald's in Indonesia).

The song is not a new one, it was co-written by Eno and Bowie and appeared in the movie "Showgirls" from the Dutch film director Paul Verhoeven (1995).

This album could have maybe been a decent one if restricted to a more straight-forward rock sound (like while played live). As such, I just can't stand it. What did you do David? One star.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#175001) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 23, 2008

Review by snobb
2 stars So, here we have a good example how one can kill the good music. The recipe is - use heavy simplistic drum machine!

Bowie's last album from "new-electronic" era. There are some good songs - "I'm Afraid Of Americans" or "Little Wonder", some good instrumental arrangements ( in "Seven Years In Tibet "or "Law" songs). In fact, there is enough of strong material for good Bowie album. But the realisation killed it!

I don't think it's done by mistake - Bowie is too professional for that. I think the idea was just to catch young fans , so the main accent was put into heavy techno/house rhytnms.

The result we know - no new listeners, and negative reaction from old fans. And there isn't a classic case with Bowie experimentation. I think, music just was killed by that. It's pity, I think from that material strong Bowie album could be produced.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#238578) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 11, 2009

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Bowie sounds like a damned fool on this album. For his latest effort in proving how hip to the times he was, Bowie embraced the cutting-edge programmed percussion styles of 1997, and he often lets the songs go for long stretches where his programmed percussion is the only important part of the sound. The harder he tries, though, the clearer it is that he's a poseur (he was 50 when this album came out!!!) and the more I wish he would just go back to arranging his songs like on Buddha of Suburbia. This album has aged horrendously, and in my observations has been one that has been disproportionately easy to find used at very cheap prices.

And yet, out of the nine tracks on here, only two seem flat-out bad to me. "The Last Thing You Should Do" is notable only in how un-notable it is, and the closing "Law (Earthlings on Fire)" is every bit as embarrassing as "Pallas Athena" was in 1993, but once I get used to the monotonous percussion choices, I find myself enjoying every other song on here. "Dead Man Walking," for instance, sounds at first like Bowie has made one of the tackiest songs of his entire career, and yet I wasn't surprised at all when I saw a video of him performing an acoustic version of the song that sounded like a career highlight. The arrangement is hideous, mind you, but the song itself is good enough that I wouldn't mind hearing it again once in a while. And the rest just sounds like a bunch of solid, tweaked pop songs crossed with horrible techno monsters. The opening "Little Wonder" is basically just a lightweight pop ballad, except in the moments where it gets dark in the "so far away" repeated vocals, and it definitely sets a pleasant tone for the album. The "SATELLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITES" backing vocal part is a strong enough hook to make "Looking for Satellites" enjoyable, and I even like the endless noisemaking of Gabrels' guitar playing. "Battle for Britain (The Letter)" is a little too noisy and chaotic to work completely given how relatively simplistic it is at its core, but I like the individual ideas, and the song works better than it probably should. "Seven Years in Tibet" annoys me more than a bit when the "trance" beat is pushed to the forefront, but whenever it slips out of that mode into a heavy guitar rocker, I'm thoroughly sucked in. It's got a nice vocal melody, anyway, even if I don't pay much attention to the lyrics. And "Telling Lies," well, I crack up every time I hear that dead-man croak saying the title of the song; I just have to get around the drums, as usual.

But of course, the big highlight is "I'm Afraid of Americans," originally a collaboration with Brian Eno and infamous for getting remixed by Nine Inch Nails. This is the one case on the album (in my opinion) where the percussion is used in service of the song and not as a gimmick, as it works with the jittery synth line and the stuttering backing vocal sounds in a nearly ideal manner. The lyrics are really great as well; I feel like the minimalism helps amp up the paranoid vibe of the song even further, to the point that when Bowie cuts in with, "God is an American" it almost sounds horrifying. It's a freaking classic on an album that badly needs a freaking classic.

So ok, I can't say I love this album, and I'm not even sure I would recommend it, but if you can cut through the jungle of, um, jungle, there's some awfully good material here. If you can find it for a couple of dollars (and believe me, you probably can), consider getting it.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#358443) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 20, 2010

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Hardly a little "wonder", but good still

This album is not very highly regarded here on our beloved archives, but at the time of its release in 1997 Earthling was (in my personal opinion anyway) the best Bowie effort since 1980's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) and thus something of a comeback for the man. I used to listen to this album a lot at the time when I discovered it, which must have been a few years after its release. Listening to it again now several years later, the quality of the album does not hold up as well as it used to for me. But I still find enjoyment in several of the tracks, particularly the opening Little Wonder. Many Rock fans will undoubtedly be turned off by Bowie's seemingly wholehearted embrace of contemporary production and particularly the programmed drums (sometimes mixed with real drums) that occasionally creates the feeling of a re-mix album. But one might keep in mind that Bowie has always been embracing new sounds and technology throughout his long career - sometimes with success and other times with less success.

Some tracks on Earthling are admittedly a bit annoying due to their repetitiveness, like Looking For Satellites and The Last Thing You Should Do. But generally, Bowie sounds inspired and you can tell that he had fun in the making of this album. Several of the songs have witty lyrics. What this album lacks is one or two more relaxed tunes that would let the listener catch his breath a bit.

Bowie would go on to make better albums in 'hours...' and Heathen, but Earthling somehow indicated a new beginning. Overall, it is a worthwhile listen.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#389845) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 30, 2011

4 stars Rating: 8/10 Bowie recovers his underground and always advanced-for-the-time style, now in the '90s. Corrosive, aggressive; some times too much filled with claustrophobic and lo-fi beats but that's exactly what makes it weird, yes a WEIRD album in Bowie's catalogue after almost four deca ... (read more)

Report this review (#459201) | Posted by Mattiias | Saturday, June 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

1 stars When I listen to albums like these I get angry! I can imagine Bowie sitting on his own thinking: "Well...I guess I must create an album that appeals to all the youngsters out there that only know me by the single "China Girl" - I must show them that I am a hip dude. Letīs make an album with d ... (read more)

Report this review (#259488) | Posted by Matte | Tuesday, January 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAVID BOWIE "Earthling"