EARTHLING

Good, but non-essential

Buy DAVID BOWIE Music
Studio Album, released in 1997

1. Little Wonder (6:02)
2. Looking for Satellites (5:21)
3. Battle for Britain (The Letter) (4:49)
4. Seven Years in Tibet (6:22)
5. Dead Man Walking (7:26)
6. Telling Lies (4:50)
7. The Last Thing You Should Do (4:58)
8. I'm Afraid of Americans (5:00)
9. Law (Earthlings on Fire) (4:49)

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling lyrics

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling tabs

- David Bowie / vocals, guitar, alto saxophone, samples, keyboards
- Reeves Gabrels / programming, synthesizers, real and sampled guitars, vocals
- Mark Plati / programming, loops, samples, keyboards
- Gail Ann Dorsey / bass, vocals
- Zachary Alford / drum loops, acoustic drums, electronic percussion
- Mike Garson / keyboards, piano

Original issue: Arista Records (UK), Virgin (USA)
Reissues on Columbia Records

Thanks to classicrocker for the addition

DAVID BOWIE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DAVID BOWIE Earthling Music

Best of David BowieBest of David Bowie
Parlophone 2006
Ziggy StardustZiggy Stardust
Parlophone 1999
The Next Day (Deluxe Edition)The Next Day (Deluxe Edition)
Columbia 2013
Moulin Rouge! Music from Baz Luhrmann's FilmMoulin Rouge! Music from Baz Luhrmann's Film
Soundtrack
Interscope Records 2001
Station to StationStation to Station
Hunky DoryHunky Dory
Parlophone 2008
Young AmericansYoung Americans
Parlophone 1999
Labyrinth: From The Original Soundtrack Of The Jim Henson FilmLabyrinth: From The Original Soundtrack Of The Jim Henson Film
Soundtrack
Parlophone 2007
Aladdin SaneAladdin Sane
Let's Dance [ECD]Let's Dance [ECD]
Parlophone 1999
David Bowie, 1984 / TVC 15, NEW/MINT U.S. promo 12 inch vinyl single US $47.01 Buy It Now 32m 5s
David Bowie, Reality, NEW/MINT Ltd edition ORANGE vinyl LP (180 gram pressing) US $81.07 Buy It Now 33m 14s
David BOWIE: Can't Help Thinking About Me, 1972 CANADA PYE issue blue labels EX! US $199.00 Buy It Now 34m 40s
David Bowie Live 2 LP Set "David Live" RCA Rebel Rebel, Diamond Dogs US $11.99 Buy It Now 35m 15s
DAVID BOWIE-LIVE AT THE TOWER PHILADELPHIA FATBOX (2 discs) MINT UK AUSTRIA CD US $29.98 Buy It Now 38m 6s
David Bowie "Let's Dance" LP 1983 EMI, Classic Rock, China Girl, Modern Love. US $9.99 Buy It Now 38m 29s
David Bowie The Man Who Sold The World Record LP Mercury 80s VG++ No Scratches US $79.00 Buy It Now 43m 13s
DAVID BOWIE - DIAMOND DOGS - GERMAN RCA LP US $8.09 [0 bids]
43m 52s
UK Dressed to Kill) Masters of Rock 3 ( - Lynyrd Skynyrd David Bowie Mot US $3.99 Buy It Now 48m 56s
David BOWIE: Prettiest Star ITALY reissue 7" vinyl picture sleeve PHILIPS 45 NEW US $149.00 Buy It Now 50m 25s
David Bowie RCA 1972 Ziggy Stardust Poster 41" x 23.5" US $64.87 Buy It Now 51m 6s
David Bowie Cat people (Putting Out Fire)(1983) LP (VG) 12" US $9.96 Buy It Now 52m 19s
David Bowie Live Record LP RCA Records 80s VG+ 2 LP Set W/ Inner Sleeves US $14.00 Buy It Now 56m 23s
David BOWIE: Prettiest Star ITALY reissue 7" vinyl picture sleeve PHILIPS 45 NEW US $149.00 Buy It Now 59m 33s
DAVID BOWIE THE NEXT DAY CD (UK IMPORT) NEW US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
David Bowie "Tonight/Tumble and Twirl" 12" Single in Stereo US $3.47 Buy It Now 1h 7m
CHANGES ONE - DAVID BOWIE - RCA AQL1-1732 - 1976 NM/NM- US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
DAVID BOWIE: REBEL, REBEL/QUEEN BITCH - import US $4.87 [0 bids]
David Bowie, Fame 90, NEW/MINT Cassette single US $8.09 Buy It Now 1h 20m
PROMO WHITE LABEL DAVID BOWIE JAPAN OBI TONIGHT 12" 45R US $79.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
DAVID BOWIE - LOVE IS LOST - 12" VINYL - NEW US $20.75 Buy It Now 1h 26m
DAVID BOWIE NEVER LET ME DOWN 12 INCH SINGLE 628 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
David Bowie - The Best Of 1974/1979 (CD 2003) BARGAIN!! FREE!! UK 24-HR POST!! US $5.66 Buy It Now 1h 29m
David Bowie Self-titled Stereo LP Deram mint first album "cut-out" US $200.00 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Blue Jean - Blue Vinyl - 7" 45RPM Single - 1984 - EMI US $10.00 [0 bids]
David Bowie ChangesTwoBowie Cassette Tape US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 39m
David Bowie - John, I'm Only Dancing Again RCA #332159 US $6.47 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Hunger Soundtrack 1983 LP David Bowie Varese 81184 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
DAVID BOWIE DIAMOND DOGS STERLING PRESSING NM- HEAR IT US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
DAVID BOWIE TONIGHT RL MASTERDISK NM- HEAR IT US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 48m
DAVID BOWIE CHANGESTWOBOWIE NM- HEAR IT US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Promo David Bowie LODGER Black Label Gatefold Album RCA AQL1-3254 US $9.99 [1 bids]
David Bowie Fame and Fashion 1984 RCA 4919 US $8.99 [0 bids]
David Bowie & the Lower Third 7" vinyl 7NX 8002 US $21.07 [0 bids]
David Bowie Lodger Lp Vinyl Record With Lyric Sleeve Near Mint! Rare! US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
DAVID BOWIE - LET'S DANCE - UK LP - 1ST PRESS - MINT CONDITION. US $10.53 [4 bids]
Mini Disc "David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust" Sealed Album Music MD Hi-MD Minidisk US $199.95 Buy It Now 1h 59m
David BOWIE: Memory Of A Free Festival UK Mercury 7" vinyl issue 45 - 1970 !NM! US $549.00 Buy It Now 2h 3m
David Bowie 2 CD set Reality digipak limited US $4.99 [0 bids]
David Bowie Collection - 14 7" singles US $16.20 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Station To Station ~ Rare 1st Press - 1975 RCA Victor Awesome Cond US $15.99 [0 bids]
David Bowie Glass Spider Live 2x180 Gram Black Vinyl US $79.85 Buy It Now 2h 15m
David Bowie - D.bowie-under Review 1976-79.. NEW DVD US $20.56 Buy It Now 2h 20m
David BOWIE: Holy Holy UK Mercury 7" vinyl PROMO 45 - RE-ISSUE !!! MINT !!! US $199.00 Buy It Now 2h 25m
15 ROCK/POP CASSETTES~LOT #19~ELTON+DAVID BOWIE+KENNY G+DEL SHANNON+PHIL COLLINS US $2.99 [0 bids]
david bowie - telling lies limited edition cd single US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 28m
The Deram Anthology 1966-1968 by David Bowie (CD 1997, Deram) GERMAN IMPORT US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 30m
David Bowie Rare Reality Album CD with Bonus DVD Dual Disc Case Crack US $24.31 Buy It Now 2h 30m
ORIGINAL David BOWIE Lets DANCE EMI America - 1983 LP Stereo A-3 B-3 US $5.34 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Job Lot of David Bowie 7 inch Singles (7 in total) US $32.42 [0 bids]
David Bowie Underground 7" single US $6.49 Buy It Now 2h 33m
DAVID BOWIE stage PL 02913 A1-D1 1st pressing uk rca 1978 DOUBLE LP PS EX/EX US $32.42 Buy It Now 2h 35m
DAVID BOWIE ziggy stardust the motion picture PL 84862 german DOUBLE LP PS EX/VG US $48.64 Buy It Now 2h 35m
DAVID BOWIE david live APL2 0771 A2E/B1E/C1E/D2E uk 1974 DOUBLE LP PS EX/EX- US $30.80 Buy It Now 2h 35m
DAVID BOWIE hunky dory SF 8244 uk/canada rca 1971 LP PS EX/VG+ US $64.85 Buy It Now 2h 35m
DAVID BOWIE YOUNG AMERICANS RCA RECORDS APL1-0998 US $7.50 [5 bids]
Lot of (2) David Bowie Original First Release US LP Records Hunky Dory/Low VGVG+ US $26.00 [6 bids]
1966 By David Bowie CD, 1988, Garland [Original Pye Masters] US $11.11 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE WITH STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN LET'S DANCE EMI RECORDS NEAR MINT US $0.99 [1 bids]
David BOWIE: Space Oddity USA PROMO - 1969 7" vinyl MERCURY 45 Version 1: NM !!! US $99.00 Buy It Now 2h 43m
David Bowie- David Live on RCA Records CPL20071 Double LP Set/Gate Fold Cover US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 45m
DAVID BOWIE CD Album CHANGESBOWIE Orig 1990 - 18 Classics EXCELLENT - MADE IN UK US $4.87 Buy It Now 2h 45m
DAVID BOWIE *DJ COPY* "TIME WILL CRAWL" 45 RPM US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
David BOWIE: Space Oddity USA PROMO - 1969 7" vinyl MERCURY 45 Version 2: NM !!! US $99.00 Buy It Now 2h 50m
DAVID BOWIE-TONIGHT Vocal Dance Mix-UK EMI America 12EA 187-3 Track 12" PS 1984 US $3.88 Buy It Now 2h 51m
David Bowie- Station To Station on RCA Records APL11327 US $26.99 Buy It Now 2h 55m
David Live by David Bowie (CD, Feb-2005, 2 Discs, Emi) US $14.95 Buy It Now 2h 59m
David BOWIE: All The Madmen USA PROMO - 1970 7" vinyl MERCURY 45 !!! EX-NM !!! US $249.00 Buy It Now 3h 4m
David Bowie ?- Tonight remastered CD US $1.61 [1 bids]
DAVID BOWIE- WILD IS THE WIND VINYL 7" 45RPM P/S US $2.42 Buy It Now 3h 8m
DAVID BOWIE DIAMOND DOGS RCA RECORDS 0575 GATEFOLD COVER STEREO US $7.16 [7 bids]
David BOWIE: Space Oddity SPAIN 1969 7" vinyl picture sleeve PHILIPS 45 - NICE!! US $599.00 Buy It Now 3h 13m
DAVID BOWIE The Jean Genie 45 VERY 1st UK -1E /-1E PRESSING 1972 MINT/UNPLAYED US $45.41 [1 bids]
DAVID BOWIE-THE LAUGHING GNOME-DERAM DM.123 1973 -TOP EX+ COPY US $4.85 [1 bids]
DAVID BOWIE 7" AMOR MODERNO-AMOR MODERNO argentina ID# 09033 PROMO ONLY -1983 a US $55.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
DAVID BOWIE 7" BLUE JEAN-DANCING WITH argentina ID# 09031 PROMO ONLY-1984 EMI a US $40.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
DAVID BOWIE 7" DANCING IN THE STREET brazil ID# 09047 PICTURE SLEEVE EMI 6200787 US $20.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
DAVID BOWIE 7" DANCING IN THE STREET-DANCING peru ID# 09034 1985 EMI 01-36-2500 US $24.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
DAVID BOWIE 7" FASHION-ASHES TO ASHES argentina ID# 09035 PROMO WRITING ON LABEL US $35.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
DAVID BOWIE 7" JOVENES AMERICANOS-TOCO MADERA argentina ID# 09039 1975 RCA 2561 US $55.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
DAVID BOWIE 7" LET'S DANCE-CAT PEOPLE brazil ID# 09046 PICTURE SLEEVE EMI 686660 US $24.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
DAVID BOWIE 7" LET'S DANCE-CAT PEOPLE peru ID# 09054 EMI 01362084 EX- automat77 US $24.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
DAVID BOWIE 7" MODERN LOVE-MODERN LOVE LIVE peru ID# 09056 1984 EMI 01362163 N US $30.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
DAVID BOWIE 7" SORROW-THE MAN WHO SOLD THE argentina ID# 09041 PROMO-WRITING ON US $35.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
DAVID BOWIE 7" THIS IS NOT AMERICA-SAME brazil ID# 09048 PICTURE SLEEVE EMI 6200 US $24.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
DAVID BOWIE ~ VH1 ~ Storytellers ~ CD + DVD US $20.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
David Bowie Changes Two RCA Records AFL1-4202 Near Mint US $5.75 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE - Ziggy Stardust / Tape Album / EX US $6.47 [1 bids]
David Bowie Sound & Vision New CD US $32.42 Buy It Now 3h 38m
David Bowie Sound + Vision - 1989 Ryko 4 CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 40m
David Bowie Black Tie White Noise - CASSETTE US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 41m
DAVID BOWIE Pretty Things w/ Thursdays Child w/ RARE EDITS PROMO DJ CD single US $34.99 Buy It Now 3h 45m
DAVID BOWIE, INTERVIEW 12 INCH PICTURE DISC, EARLY 80s INTERVIEW. US $16.20 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE lightning shaped 2011 - shaped EMBROIDERED IRON/SEW ON PATCH import US $8.09 Buy It Now 3h 46m
David Bowie ?- The Jean Genie ex Yugoslavia - extra rare unique cover US $100.00 Buy It Now 3h 46m
DAVID BOWIE REBEL REBEL / QUEEN BITCH usa rca 05009 US $10.54 Buy It Now 3h 47m
DAVID BOWIE - MAGAZINE CUTTING (FULL PAGE PHOTO W/TEXT) (REF G) US $8.03 Buy It Now 3h 48m
DAVID BOWIE - MAGAZINE CUTTING (FULL PAGE PHOTO) (REF G) US $8.03 Buy It Now 3h 48m
DAVID BOWIE - black tie white noise cd US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 50m
DAVID BOWIE THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST RARE GERMAN PRESS! LSP-4702 RCA US $54.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy DAVID BOWIE music online Buy DAVID BOWIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DAVID BOWIE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DAVID BOWIE Earthling ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(7%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(26%)

DAVID BOWIE Earthling reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars WHERE IS THE LITTLE WONDER ?

If you think that "Outside" was a one shot album to feature techno beats or deep house investigations; you were wrong. Here comes "Earthling".

Although some of the songs could be considered as straight forward Bowie numbers, these background rhythms are completely denaturizing them. But this is only my opinion.

I have never been into this type of music, and even being a Bowie fan, I'm not deaf, dumb and blind (remember the no more heroes stuff). Lots of heavy post-grunge sounds as well, make this album rather difficult to bear.

I particularly hate "Dead Man Walking" and its house beat. But actually I don't like this album at all. At least "Outside" had an interesting storyboard, even if the music could never move me. "Earthling" doesn't have this feature.

As usual, the clips are highly creative and might be sufficient to apprehend this album. The live version of "Telling Lies" recorded in Amsterdam (Paradiso) and available on "LiveAndWell.com" is far much superior to the studio one. Simply rocking. But I like this.

One of the only bearable song to my ears is "I'm Afraid Of Americans". It depicts the invasion of the American "culture" all over the world (David once mentioned that he first thought of this while seeing the opening of the Mac Donald's in Indonesia).

The song is not a new one, it was co-written by Eno and Bowie and appeared in the movie "Showgirls" from the Dutch film director Paul Verhoeven (1995).

This album could have maybe been a decent one if restricted to a more straight-forward rock sound (like while played live). As such, I just can't stand it. What did you do David? One star.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#175001) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 23, 2008

Review by snobb
2 stars So, here we have a good example how one can kill the good music. The recipe is - use heavy simplistic drum machine!

Bowie's last album from "new-electronic" era. There are some good songs - "I'm Afraid Of Americans" or "Little Wonder", some good instrumental arrangements ( in "Seven Years In Tibet "or "Law" songs). In fact, there is enough of strong material for good Bowie album. But the realisation killed it!

I don't think it's done by mistake - Bowie is too professional for that. I think the idea was just to catch young fans , so the main accent was put into heavy techno/house rhytnms.

The result we know - no new listeners, and negative reaction from old fans. And there isn't a classic case with Bowie experimentation. I think, music just was killed by that. It's pity, I think from that material strong Bowie album could be produced.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#238578) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 11, 2009

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Bowie sounds like a damned fool on this album. For his latest effort in proving how hip to the times he was, Bowie embraced the cutting-edge programmed percussion styles of 1997, and he often lets the songs go for long stretches where his programmed percussion is the only important part of the sound. The harder he tries, though, the clearer it is that he's a poseur (he was 50 when this album came out!!!) and the more I wish he would just go back to arranging his songs like on Buddha of Suburbia. This album has aged horrendously, and in my observations has been one that has been disproportionately easy to find used at very cheap prices.

And yet, out of the nine tracks on here, only two seem flat-out bad to me. "The Last Thing You Should Do" is notable only in how un-notable it is, and the closing "Law (Earthlings on Fire)" is every bit as embarrassing as "Pallas Athena" was in 1993, but once I get used to the monotonous percussion choices, I find myself enjoying every other song on here. "Dead Man Walking," for instance, sounds at first like Bowie has made one of the tackiest songs of his entire career, and yet I wasn't surprised at all when I saw a video of him performing an acoustic version of the song that sounded like a career highlight. The arrangement is hideous, mind you, but the song itself is good enough that I wouldn't mind hearing it again once in a while. And the rest just sounds like a bunch of solid, tweaked pop songs crossed with horrible techno monsters. The opening "Little Wonder" is basically just a lightweight pop ballad, except in the moments where it gets dark in the "so far away" repeated vocals, and it definitely sets a pleasant tone for the album. The "SATELLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITES" backing vocal part is a strong enough hook to make "Looking for Satellites" enjoyable, and I even like the endless noisemaking of Gabrels' guitar playing. "Battle for Britain (The Letter)" is a little too noisy and chaotic to work completely given how relatively simplistic it is at its core, but I like the individual ideas, and the song works better than it probably should. "Seven Years in Tibet" annoys me more than a bit when the "trance" beat is pushed to the forefront, but whenever it slips out of that mode into a heavy guitar rocker, I'm thoroughly sucked in. It's got a nice vocal melody, anyway, even if I don't pay much attention to the lyrics. And "Telling Lies," well, I crack up every time I hear that dead-man croak saying the title of the song; I just have to get around the drums, as usual.

But of course, the big highlight is "I'm Afraid of Americans," originally a collaboration with Brian Eno and infamous for getting remixed by Nine Inch Nails. This is the one case on the album (in my opinion) where the percussion is used in service of the song and not as a gimmick, as it works with the jittery synth line and the stuttering backing vocal sounds in a nearly ideal manner. The lyrics are really great as well; I feel like the minimalism helps amp up the paranoid vibe of the song even further, to the point that when Bowie cuts in with, "God is an American" it almost sounds horrifying. It's a freaking classic on an album that badly needs a freaking classic.

So ok, I can't say I love this album, and I'm not even sure I would recommend it, but if you can cut through the jungle of, um, jungle, there's some awfully good material here. If you can find it for a couple of dollars (and believe me, you probably can), consider getting it.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#358443) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 20, 2010

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Hardly a little "wonder", but good still

This album is not very highly regarded here on our beloved archives, but at the time of its release in 1997 Earthling was (in my personal opinion anyway) the best Bowie effort since 1980's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) and thus something of a comeback for the man. I used to listen to this album a lot at the time when I discovered it, which must have been a few years after its release. Listening to it again now several years later, the quality of the album does not hold up as well as it used to for me. But I still find enjoyment in several of the tracks, particularly the opening Little Wonder. Many Rock fans will undoubtedly be turned off by Bowie's seemingly wholehearted embrace of contemporary production and particularly the programmed drums (sometimes mixed with real drums) that occasionally creates the feeling of a re-mix album. But one might keep in mind that Bowie has always been embracing new sounds and technology throughout his long career - sometimes with success and other times with less success.

Some tracks on Earthling are admittedly a bit annoying due to their repetitiveness, like Looking For Satellites and The Last Thing You Should Do. But generally, Bowie sounds inspired and you can tell that he had fun in the making of this album. Several of the songs have witty lyrics. What this album lacks is one or two more relaxed tunes that would let the listener catch his breath a bit.

Bowie would go on to make better albums in 'hours...' and Heathen, but Earthling somehow indicated a new beginning. Overall, it is a worthwhile listen.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#389845) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 30, 2011

4 stars Rating: 8/10 Bowie recovers his underground and always advanced-for-the-time style, now in the '90s. Corrosive, aggressive; some times too much filled with claustrophobic and lo-fi beats but that's exactly what makes it weird, yes a WEIRD album in Bowie's catalogue after almost four deca ... (read more)

Report this review (#459201) | Posted by Mattiias | Saturday, June 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

1 stars When I listen to albums like these I get angry! I can imagine Bowie sitting on his own thinking: "Well...I guess I must create an album that appeals to all the youngsters out there that only know me by the single "China Girl" - I must show them that I am a hip dude. Let┤s make an album with d ... (read more)

Report this review (#259488) | Posted by Matte | Tuesday, January 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAVID BOWIE "Earthling"