EARTHLING

Good, but non-essential

Buy DAVID BOWIE Music
Studio Album, released in 1997

1. Little Wonder (6:02)
2. Looking for Satellites (5:21)
3. Battle for Britain (The Letter) (4:49)
4. Seven Years in Tibet (6:22)
5. Dead Man Walking (7:26)
6. Telling Lies (4:50)
7. The Last Thing You Should Do (4:58)
8. I'm Afraid of Americans (5:00)
9. Law (Earthlings on Fire) (4:49)

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling lyrics

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling tabs

- David Bowie / vocals, guitar, alto saxophone, samples, keyboards
- Reeves Gabrels / programming, synthesizers, real and sampled guitars, vocals
- Mark Plati / programming, loops, samples, keyboards
- Gail Ann Dorsey / bass, vocals
- Zachary Alford / drum loops, acoustic drums, electronic percussion
- Mike Garson / keyboards, piano

Original issue: Arista Records (UK), Virgin (USA)
Reissues on Columbia Records

Thanks to classicrocker for the addition

DAVID BOWIE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DAVID BOWIE Earthling Music

Best of David BowieBest of David Bowie
Parlophone 2006
Ziggy StardustZiggy Stardust
Parlophone 1999
Moulin Rouge! Music from Baz Luhrmann's FilmMoulin Rouge! Music from Baz Luhrmann's Film
Soundtrack
Interscope Records 2001
Hunky DoryHunky Dory
Parlophone 2008
The Next Day (Deluxe Edition)The Next Day (Deluxe Edition)
Columbia 2013
Labyrinth: From The Original Soundtrack Of The Jim Henson FilmLabyrinth: From The Original Soundtrack Of The Jim Henson Film
Soundtrack
Parlophone 2007
Aladdin SaneAladdin Sane
Station to StationStation to Station
LowLow
David Bowie RIGHT / FAME RCA Victor PB-10320 US $1.99 [0 bids]
31m 21s
David Bowie ?- I'm Afraid Of Americans CD - US $15.00 Buy It Now 40m 19s
Heathen [Bonus Disc] [Limited] by David Bowie (CD, Nov-2002, 2 Discs,... US $12.09 Buy It Now 40m 19s
DAVID BOWIE Glass Spider OBI 2VCD w/SLIPCASE SEALED US $17.00 Buy It Now 42m 3s
Iggy Pop Real Wild Child Brand New 7" Canada David Bowie Little Miss Emperor US $17.09 Buy It Now 45m 1s
David Bowie ~ Heathen CD 2002 ~ Sony ~ FREE Shipping ~ Brand New US $12.99 [0 bids]
51m 45s
DAVID BOWIE never let me down 12 EA 239 uk emi america 1987 12" PS EX/EX US $15.25 Buy It Now 57m 28s
DAVID BOWIE modern love/modern love live EA 158 uk emi america 1983 7" PS EX/EX US $11.91 Buy It Now 57m 28s
David Bowie : Lodger CD (1999) US $10.00 Buy It Now 59m 18s
David Bowie Another Face LP JAPAN OBI London Records L20P1004 *US SELLER* US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
DAVID BOWIE~FAME 90~HOUSE / HIP HOP MIXES incl. QUEEN LATIFAH~DANCE CLASSIC 12" US $2.97 Buy It Now 1h 5m
ALEJANDRO ESCOVEDO LIVE Austin TX 9 LIVE & INTERVIEW PROMO CD DAVID BOWIE TRK US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
DAVID BOWIE NEVER LET ME DOWN UK LP 1987 EMI AMLS 3117 A1/B2 + LYRIC INNER US $17.89 Buy It Now 1h 6m
DAVID BOWIE - NEVER LET ME DOWN 2007 JAPAN MINI LP CD US $22.14 Buy It Now 1h 7m
DAVID BOWIE - TONIGHT 2007 REMASTERED JAPAN MINI LP CD US $34.07 Buy It Now 1h 7m
DAVID BOWIE Never Let Me Down JAPAN CD SEALED RARE US $14.98 Buy It Now 1h 9m
DAVID BOWIE Tin Machine JAPAN CD SEALED RARE US $14.98 Buy It Now 1h 11m
David Bowie - Lodger '79 RCA orig LP hype sticker, gold promo stamp Brian Eno US $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Changesbowie by David Bowie (CD, Mar-1990, Ryko Distribution) US $6.00 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE - Best Of 5 Track Sampler PROMO CD & Dead Man 4 Track CD Single US $4.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE - HEATHEN (SUNDAY,CACTUS,SLIP AWAY,SLOW BURN) SEALED 180 GRAM LP US $44.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
DAVID BOWIE HEBREW TITLE CHANGESTWO RARE ISRAELI LP US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m
DAVID BOWIE HEBREW TITLE GOLDEN YEARS RARE ISRAELI LP US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 21m
DAVID BOWIE - THE NEXT DAY 2CD DELUXE EDITION ALBUM (2013) US $17.88 Buy It Now 1h 26m
DAVID BOWIE - PIN-UPS NEW CD US $19.48 Buy It Now 1h 28m
DAVID BOWIE - LODGER NEW CD US $19.48 Buy It Now 1h 28m
DAVID BOWIE starzone number 13 international magazine 28 pages 1984 sept/october US $4.24 Buy It Now 1h 31m
DAVID BOWIE starzone number 15 international magazine 24 pages 1986 february/may US $4.24 Buy It Now 1h 32m
DAVID BOWIE starzone number 16 international magazine 24 pages 1986 july/sept US $4.24 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Historia Dela Musica Rock David Bowie 1981 Decca 47002 Spain Import NM US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 34m
David Bowie - Day-In Day-Out / Same 7" 45 - EMI America - Rock US $10.81 [0 bids]
David Bowie Philips 1969 Record Store Poster - 13.5" x 11.5" US $25.56 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Ninja Assassin by Christoph Bauschinger, David Bowie... US $10.80 Buy It Now 1h 37m
David Bowie DAVID BOWIE 1982 Superstar SU1027 Rock Book Italy Import NM US $14.39 Buy It Now 1h 37m
David Bowie CAT PEOPLE 1982 Backstreet Pic Slv NM US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 37m
David Bowie 1984 b/w TVC 15 1984 RCA PD-13770 Rock 12" Single PROMO NM US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
DAVID BOWIE**DIAMOND DOGS (RM)**CD US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 48m
David Bowie Rare RCA PL 45406 UK Vinyl LP US $14.75 Buy It Now 1h 50m
DAVID BOWIE - JOHN I'M ONLY DANCING AGAIN 1975 - VINYL 45' US $8.52 Buy It Now 1h 52m
David Bowie, Classic Rock Music, Glam Rock Music, 2 Vinyl Record Lot US $12.00 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE w/JUNIORS EYES:Unwashed & Slightly Dazed- Let Me Sleep Beside-7" PSL US $38.98 Buy It Now 1h 58m
David Bowie - Nobodys Children (1971-1972) CD US $22.14 [1 bids]
David Bowie - Emerged From Shadows (1967-1972) CD US $22.14 [0 bids]
LOT OF CLASSIC ROCK VINYL RECORDS DAVID BOWIE LP ALBUMS US $11.99 [1 bids]
David Bowie "Early On \ Love You Till Tuesday" 2 in 1 CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD LP ORIGINAL MERCURY LABEL 889 US $58.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
DAVID BOWIE -CHANGES ONE BOWIE - Vinyl Record Album LP- 12" ROCK - EX to NM US $5.99 [1 bids]
DAVID BOWIE-JOHN I'M ONLY DANCING AGAIN-UK PS 45rpm 7" 1979-DIFFERENT VERSION US $17.00 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Heathen by David Bowie (CD, Jun-2002, Sony) Mint #CW34 US $5.87 Buy It Now 2h 8m
CASSETTE DAVID BOWIE LODGER ex US $17.04 Buy It Now 2h 10m
David Bowie CD Space Oddity Rykodisc RCD 10131 with bonus tracks US $10.00 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE "FAME" 45 RPM US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
DAVID BOWIE Jump They Say edit's PROMO CD SINGLE SADJ50036-2 oop rare US $3.93 Buy It Now 2h 15m
David bowie pinups vinyl rare w.germany press US $14.99 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Lost In Our Vaults Until Now LP 12' RARE!!! US $39.95 Buy It Now 2h 27m
David Bowie Fridge Magnet - Ziggy Stardust album cover. US $4.26 Buy It Now 2h 28m
David Bowie "Love You Till Tuesday" 1984 London Comp. LP/ Record Club Ed. US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 28m
RARE PROMO CD w/ LIVE TRX MEGADETH Beach Boys DURAN DURAN al Green DAVID BOWIE US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 29m
DAVID BOWIE EL REY DEL GAY POWER 2 LP 1978 RECORD RARE SPAIN UNPLAYED LPS US $25.00 [0 bids]
50 YEARS OF THE GREATEST HIT SINGLES 2 x CD QUEEN DAVID BOWIE U2 ABBA WHAM FGTH US $4.09 [6 bids]
DAVID BOWIE An Evening With SUPERSTARS RADIO NETWORK 1978 RCA PROMO ONLY LP NM US $25.00 [0 bids]
David Bowie When I live my dream German import cd US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Vinyl 7": David Bowie : Sorrow : Limited Edition Double Picture Single US $21.29 [1 bids]
David Bowie The Philadelphia Orchestra - Peter and The Wolf - RARE !! NEAR MINT! US $1,500.00 Buy It Now 2h 37m
DAVID BOWIE**EARTHLING (GATEFOLD/180G)**VINYL US $29.95 Buy It Now 2h 37m
VINYL LP David Bowie - Let's Dance EMI SO 17093 shrinkwrap US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
THIS IS '80s NEW WAVE - 34 trks, 2-discs - Tiffany, ABC, Blondie, David Bowie US $2.00 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE avril lavigne PHIL LESH simple minds OTEP chumbawamba ASH promo CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Helden V-2 Schneider Original 1977 Vinyl 45 With Sleeve US $3.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE roxy music T.REX fleetwood mac THE JAM squeeze YARDBIRDS LP SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE THE COLLECTION CD GOLD DISC LP FREE P+P! US $153.36 Buy It Now 3h 6m
DAVID BOWIE SINGLES CD GOLD DISC RECORD FREE P&P! US $153.36 Buy It Now 3h 6m
RARE ~ 12 Songs of Christmas Cd Cocteau Twins Pretenders David Bowie Eartha Kitt US $2.98 Buy It Now 3h 7m
David Bowie Cassette Tin Machine Cassette Canada Advance Promo US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 10m
David Bowie - Lats Dance LP 1983 Rare Israel Israeli press with Lyrics Sheet US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 10m
NEIL YOUNG david bowie PATTI SMITH tom petty PEARL JAM elvis costello CD SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
David Bowie Magic Dance EX 12" single Labrynth US $1.99 [1 bids]
Changesbowie by David Bowie (CD, Mar-1990, Ryko Distribution) US $6.00 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Lodger 1982 UK Vinyl LP RCA International EXCELLENT CONDITION US $34.07 Buy It Now 3h 21m
DAVID BOWIE THE STARS (ARE OUT TONIGHT) HONG KONG PROMO CD SINGLE THE NEXT DAY US $179.99 Buy It Now 3h 24m
DAVID BOWIE WHERE ARE WE NOW HONG KONG PROMO CD SINGLE THE NEXT DAY THE STARS DJ US $99.99 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Labyrinth David Bowie Soundtrack LP Jim Henson Film US $35.00 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE LITTLE WONDER EU 2 TRACKS PROMO CD SINGLE W/ TAIWAN PROMO STICKER US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 25m
DAVID BOWIE, "SOUND AND STAGE" CLEAR VINYL LP. MEGA RARE US $42.59 [1 bids]
DAVID BOWIE starzone number 16 international magazine 24 pages 1986 july/sept US $2.98 [0 bids]
IAN HUNTER - LIVE WELCOME TO THE CLUB / DAVID BOWIE / BAD COMPANY/ MICK RALPHS US $16.04 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE "TONIGHT" "BLUE JEAN" YUGOSLAVIA PRESS LP US $18.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
DAVID BOWIE: The Next Day LP (2 LPs, 180 gram pressing, w. cd of the album, gat US $35.00 Buy It Now 3h 32m
DAVID BOWIE starzone number 7 international magazine 32 pages 1983 may/june US $2.98 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE NEXT DAY CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $170.40 Buy It Now 3h 35m
DAVID BOWIE CHANGES CD GOLD DISC RECORD LP FREE P&P! US $153.36 Buy It Now 3h 35m
ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS OST DAVID BOWIE RAY DAVIES SADE VINYL LP RECORD SOUNDTRACK US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Steeleye Span - Now We Are Six LP - Chrysalis Records CHR 1053 - David Bowie US $3.99 [0 bids]
Changesbowie by David Bowie (CD, Mar-1990, Ryko Distribution) US $1.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE LET'S TALK PICTURE DISC DUTCH 1983TWO SIDED MINT UNPLAYED RARE US $20.00 [0 bids]
1985 DAVID BOWIE HUNKY DORY RCA VICTOR PCD1-4623 USA release YET made in JAPAN US $49.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE starzone number 15 international magazine 24 pages 1986 february/may US $2.98 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE - STAGE TWIN PACK CASSETTE IN MINT COND // ALICE COOPER / THE CLASH US $16.84 [0 bids]
David Bowie : Best of 1969-74 CD (1997) US $10.00 Buy It Now 3h 54m
DAVID BOWIE Changes Two (RCA) LP 1981 US $17.02 Buy It Now 3h 54m

More places to buy DAVID BOWIE music online Buy DAVID BOWIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DAVID BOWIE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DAVID BOWIE Earthling ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(7%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(27%)

DAVID BOWIE Earthling reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars WHERE IS THE LITTLE WONDER ?

If you think that "Outside" was a one shot album to feature techno beats or deep house investigations; you were wrong. Here comes "Earthling".

Although some of the songs could be considered as straight forward Bowie numbers, these background rhythms are completely denaturizing them. But this is only my opinion.

I have never been into this type of music, and even being a Bowie fan, I'm not deaf, dumb and blind (remember the no more heroes stuff). Lots of heavy post-grunge sounds as well, make this album rather difficult to bear.

I particularly hate "Dead Man Walking" and its house beat. But actually I don't like this album at all. At least "Outside" had an interesting storyboard, even if the music could never move me. "Earthling" doesn't have this feature.

As usual, the clips are highly creative and might be sufficient to apprehend this album. The live version of "Telling Lies" recorded in Amsterdam (Paradiso) and available on "LiveAndWell.com" is far much superior to the studio one. Simply rocking. But I like this.

One of the only bearable song to my ears is "I'm Afraid Of Americans". It depicts the invasion of the American "culture" all over the world (David once mentioned that he first thought of this while seeing the opening of the Mac Donald's in Indonesia).

The song is not a new one, it was co-written by Eno and Bowie and appeared in the movie "Showgirls" from the Dutch film director Paul Verhoeven (1995).

This album could have maybe been a decent one if restricted to a more straight-forward rock sound (like while played live). As such, I just can't stand it. What did you do David? One star.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#175001) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 23, 2008

Review by snobb
2 stars So, here we have a good example how one can kill the good music. The recipe is - use heavy simplistic drum machine!

Bowie's last album from "new-electronic" era. There are some good songs - "I'm Afraid Of Americans" or "Little Wonder", some good instrumental arrangements ( in "Seven Years In Tibet "or "Law" songs). In fact, there is enough of strong material for good Bowie album. But the realisation killed it!

I don't think it's done by mistake - Bowie is too professional for that. I think the idea was just to catch young fans , so the main accent was put into heavy techno/house rhytnms.

The result we know - no new listeners, and negative reaction from old fans. And there isn't a classic case with Bowie experimentation. I think, music just was killed by that. It's pity, I think from that material strong Bowie album could be produced.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#238578) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 11, 2009

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Bowie sounds like a damned fool on this album. For his latest effort in proving how hip to the times he was, Bowie embraced the cutting-edge programmed percussion styles of 1997, and he often lets the songs go for long stretches where his programmed percussion is the only important part of the sound. The harder he tries, though, the clearer it is that he's a poseur (he was 50 when this album came out!!!) and the more I wish he would just go back to arranging his songs like on Buddha of Suburbia. This album has aged horrendously, and in my observations has been one that has been disproportionately easy to find used at very cheap prices.

And yet, out of the nine tracks on here, only two seem flat-out bad to me. "The Last Thing You Should Do" is notable only in how un-notable it is, and the closing "Law (Earthlings on Fire)" is every bit as embarrassing as "Pallas Athena" was in 1993, but once I get used to the monotonous percussion choices, I find myself enjoying every other song on here. "Dead Man Walking," for instance, sounds at first like Bowie has made one of the tackiest songs of his entire career, and yet I wasn't surprised at all when I saw a video of him performing an acoustic version of the song that sounded like a career highlight. The arrangement is hideous, mind you, but the song itself is good enough that I wouldn't mind hearing it again once in a while. And the rest just sounds like a bunch of solid, tweaked pop songs crossed with horrible techno monsters. The opening "Little Wonder" is basically just a lightweight pop ballad, except in the moments where it gets dark in the "so far away" repeated vocals, and it definitely sets a pleasant tone for the album. The "SATELLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITES" backing vocal part is a strong enough hook to make "Looking for Satellites" enjoyable, and I even like the endless noisemaking of Gabrels' guitar playing. "Battle for Britain (The Letter)" is a little too noisy and chaotic to work completely given how relatively simplistic it is at its core, but I like the individual ideas, and the song works better than it probably should. "Seven Years in Tibet" annoys me more than a bit when the "trance" beat is pushed to the forefront, but whenever it slips out of that mode into a heavy guitar rocker, I'm thoroughly sucked in. It's got a nice vocal melody, anyway, even if I don't pay much attention to the lyrics. And "Telling Lies," well, I crack up every time I hear that dead-man croak saying the title of the song; I just have to get around the drums, as usual.

But of course, the big highlight is "I'm Afraid of Americans," originally a collaboration with Brian Eno and infamous for getting remixed by Nine Inch Nails. This is the one case on the album (in my opinion) where the percussion is used in service of the song and not as a gimmick, as it works with the jittery synth line and the stuttering backing vocal sounds in a nearly ideal manner. The lyrics are really great as well; I feel like the minimalism helps amp up the paranoid vibe of the song even further, to the point that when Bowie cuts in with, "God is an American" it almost sounds horrifying. It's a freaking classic on an album that badly needs a freaking classic.

So ok, I can't say I love this album, and I'm not even sure I would recommend it, but if you can cut through the jungle of, um, jungle, there's some awfully good material here. If you can find it for a couple of dollars (and believe me, you probably can), consider getting it.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#358443) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 20, 2010

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Hardly a little "wonder", but good still

This album is not very highly regarded here on our beloved archives, but at the time of its release in 1997 Earthling was (in my personal opinion anyway) the best Bowie effort since 1980's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) and thus something of a comeback for the man. I used to listen to this album a lot at the time when I discovered it, which must have been a few years after its release. Listening to it again now several years later, the quality of the album does not hold up as well as it used to for me. But I still find enjoyment in several of the tracks, particularly the opening Little Wonder. Many Rock fans will undoubtedly be turned off by Bowie's seemingly wholehearted embrace of contemporary production and particularly the programmed drums (sometimes mixed with real drums) that occasionally creates the feeling of a re-mix album. But one might keep in mind that Bowie has always been embracing new sounds and technology throughout his long career - sometimes with success and other times with less success.

Some tracks on Earthling are admittedly a bit annoying due to their repetitiveness, like Looking For Satellites and The Last Thing You Should Do. But generally, Bowie sounds inspired and you can tell that he had fun in the making of this album. Several of the songs have witty lyrics. What this album lacks is one or two more relaxed tunes that would let the listener catch his breath a bit.

Bowie would go on to make better albums in 'hours...' and Heathen, but Earthling somehow indicated a new beginning. Overall, it is a worthwhile listen.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#389845) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 30, 2011

4 stars Rating: 8/10 Bowie recovers his underground and always advanced-for-the-time style, now in the '90s. Corrosive, aggressive; some times too much filled with claustrophobic and lo-fi beats but that's exactly what makes it weird, yes a WEIRD album in Bowie's catalogue after almost four deca ... (read more)

Report this review (#459201) | Posted by Mattiias | Saturday, June 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

1 stars When I listen to albums like these I get angry! I can imagine Bowie sitting on his own thinking: "Well...I guess I must create an album that appeals to all the youngsters out there that only know me by the single "China Girl" - I must show them that I am a hip dude. Letīs make an album with d ... (read more)

Report this review (#259488) | Posted by Matte | Tuesday, January 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAVID BOWIE "Earthling"