EARTHLING

Good, but non-essential

Buy DAVID BOWIE Music
Studio Album, released in 1997

1. Little Wonder (6:02)
2. Looking for Satellites (5:21)
3. Battle for Britain (The Letter) (4:49)
4. Seven Years in Tibet (6:22)
5. Dead Man Walking (7:26)
6. Telling Lies (4:50)
7. The Last Thing You Should Do (4:58)
8. I'm Afraid of Americans (5:00)
9. Law (Earthlings on Fire) (4:49)

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling lyrics

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling tabs

- David Bowie / vocals, guitar, alto saxophone, samples, keyboards
- Reeves Gabrels / programming, synthesizers, real and sampled guitars, vocals
- Mark Plati / programming, loops, samples, keyboards
- Gail Ann Dorsey / bass, vocals
- Zachary Alford / drum loops, acoustic drums, electronic percussion
- Mike Garson / keyboards, piano

Original issue: Arista Records (UK), Virgin (USA)
Reissues on Columbia Records

Thanks to classicrocker for the addition

DAVID BOWIE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DAVID BOWIE Earthling Music

Sony 2004
Sony Japan 2013
Sony / Bmg Japan 2004
Earthling + 1Earthling + 1
Earthling [Digibook Expanded Edition] by David Bowie [Music CD]Earthling [Digibook Expanded Edition] by David Bowie [Music CD]
Columbia
Earthling by Bowie, David [Music CD]Earthling by Bowie, David [Music CD]
Sony Japan
Hours / EarthlingHours / Earthling
Sony Bmg Europe 2007
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, Feb-1997, Virgin) USD $6.45 Buy It Now 5h 14m
DAVID BOWIE, Earthling, original issue 9-track Virgin CD, 1996, EXC COND! USD $3.74 Buy It Now 8h 8m
David Bowie [ EARTHLING ] ORIGINAL CD THAI EDITION STILL SEALED USD $49.99 Buy It Now 9h 50m
David Bowie Earthling Classic Rock CD From Virgin Records 1997 cd428 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 16h
CD/Japan- DAVID BOWIE Earthling +1 bonus trk w/OBI RARE ORIGINAL 1997 BVCA-721 USD $14.75 Buy It Now 22h 24m
David Bowie(CD Album)Earthling-New USD $6.61 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie - Earthling (NEW CD) USD $9.26 Buy It Now 1 day
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, 1997, BMG Arista) MADE IN THE EC USD $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie - Earthling - 1997 Virgin USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE 10 CD BOX SET OUTSIDE EARTHLING HOURS HEATHEN REALITY NEW UNPLAYED!! USD $41.57 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Earthling (CD, Feb-1997, Virgin) USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING UK CD 1997 AS NEW FREE POSTAGE!! USD $5.94 Buy It Now 1 day
CD David Bowie Earthling in the City NEW SEALED 6 track promo 1997 Enhanced USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Earthling [Extra Tracks] [Remaster] by David Bowie (CD, Mar-2004, Columbia... USD $0.99 [1 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Earthling in the City PROMO CD 3 rare LIVE TRACKS & rare MIX USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie 3 Cd Hours Earthling Little Wonder & 1 Peter Gabriel's Up Lot USD $4.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Earthling CD NEW & SEALED USD $7.35 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE-EARTHLING-JAPAN BLU-SPEC CD2 D73 USD $18.99 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie Earthling Promo Postcard 1997 USD $8.89 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE/ EARTHLING 9 TRACK+ NUMBERED GREEN VINYL LP LTD EDITION NEW USD $37.10 [0 bids]
David Bowie-Earthling (CD 1997) Eart Hl Ing USD $0.99 [1 bids]
David Bowie Earthling limited numbered blue transparent 180gm vinyl LP NEW/SEALE USD $32.81 Buy It Now 3 days
EARTHLING DAVID BOWIE VINYL NEW USD $31.97 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie-Earthling CD NEW USD $9.63 Buy It Now 4 days
" David Bowie Earthling " CD 1st/class mailing excellent condition USD $3.99 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie - Earthling USA CD Mint #T03 USD $2.80 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie - Earthling (1999) USD $7.41 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING IN THE CITY-CD USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Earthling - David Bowie (2007, CD New) 4547366014600 USD $18.70 Buy It Now 5 days
Earthling - David Bowie (CD Used Very Good) USD $3.85 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie - Dead Man Walking Remixes w/ Moby 12" (from Earthling LP) VG USD $6.95 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie - Earthling [CD New] USD $34.06 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie - Earthling [CD New] USD $8.13 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie - Earthling - Vinyl Record Import 2013 New (BLACK VINYL) USD $39.99 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID BOWIE Aladdin Sane JAPAN Mini LP GATEFOLD 2 CD COMBO Earthling In The City USD $19.99 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling 180gm Black Vinyl LP 2013 NEW & SEALED Music On Vinyl USD $32.58 Buy It Now 6 days
CD DAVID BOWIE Earthling in the City 6 TRACK EP PROMO NEAR MINT USD $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID BOWIE POSTCARD EARTHLING ALBUM RELEASE PROMO 1997 POST CARD 6" X 4" RARE USD $7.41 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE-Earthling-TIN MACHINE-Mike Garson-JUNGLE-Techno-DRUM'N'BASS-Rock-Cd USD $8.49 Buy It Now 7 days
David Bowie - Earthling LP 180g Vinyl NEW USD $34.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Rare David Bowie Earthling Columbia 13 Track 2004 CK92098 US Edition 4 Bonus Tks USD $23.63 Buy It Now 7 days
CD . David Bowie . Earthling . USD $4.99 Buy It Now 7 days
DAVID BOWIE - SUPERB 'EARTHLING / CROSS' - STUNNING 11oz COLLECTORS MUG USD $7.41 Buy It Now 8 days
DAVID BOWIE-EARTHLING-ORIGINAL EU CASSETTE TAPE 1997-LIKE NEW USD $11.00 Buy It Now 8 days
David Bowie - Earthling (Expanded) (2004) - New - Compact Disc USD $2.88 Buy It Now 8 days
Earthling in the City 1997 6-Track Promotional Promo Only CD EP by David Bowie USD $9.60 Buy It Now 8 days
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, Feb-1997, Virgin) USD $5.00 Buy It Now 8 days
DAVID BOWIE**ORIGINAL ALBUM CLASSICS: OUTSIDE/EARTHLING/HOURS**3 CD SET USD $10.95 Buy It Now 8 days
David Bowie(CD Album)Earthling-New USD $7.99 Buy It Now 9 days
DAVID BOWIE Outside Earthling Hours Heathen Reality 10 CD Box Set NEW USD $57.82 Buy It Now 9 days
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING LP LIMITED NUMBERED EDITION BLUE VINYL 180g PRESS SEALED USD $48.90 Buy It Now 9 days
David Bowie Earthling RCA Original 1997 EU Import Gatefold EX USD $275.00 Buy It Now 9 days
DAVID BOWIE "EARTHLING" LTD EDITION CD JAPANESE PRESS W/OBI. 2 DISCS + INSERTS USD $39.99 Buy It Now 9 days
DAVID BOWIE 'Earthling' MOV Audiophile 180g Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED USD $26.73 Buy It Now 9 days
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING CD NEW USD $9.84 Buy It Now 9 days
David Bowie - Earthling (1997) - New - Compact Disc USD $12.49 Buy It Now 10 days
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING JAPAN OBI 10 CD LIMITED EDITION Replica LP Sealed Box Set USD $424.99 Buy It Now 10 days
David Bowie Earthling In The City CD Single USD $7.99 Buy It Now 10 days
EARTHLING BY DAVID BOWIE--CD--1997 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 10 days
David Bowie, Earthling, NEW/MINT Numbered Ltd edition LP pressed on BLUE vinyl USD $54.91 Buy It Now 11 days
Earthling - David Bowie (2013, Vinyl New) USD $25.86 Buy It Now 11 days
David Bowie - Earthling [Vinyl New] USD $34.04 Buy It Now 11 days
David Bowie: Earthling In The City PROMO AUDIO CD rare live tracks remix music! USD $5.39 Buy It Now 11 days
David Bowie, Earthling, NEW/MINT Numbered Ltd edition GREEN vinyl LP USD $51.94 Buy It Now 11 days
David Bowie Earthling in the City PROMO 6 song CD RARE Mixes & versions 1997 USD $8.99 Buy It Now 12 days
DAVID BOWIE-10 CD BOX SET Reality/Heathen/Hours/Earthling/Excerpts Outside-NEW USD $53.44 Buy It Now 12 days
David Bowie Earthling Eart Hl I Ng USA Cassette Tape USD $8.49 Buy It Now 12 days
David Bowie Earthling promo cd USD $19.99 Buy It Now 12 days
David Bowie - Earthling CD ALBUM FREE UK P&P !! USD $5.89 Buy It Now 13 days
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING 180GM LP VINYL RECORD NEW USD $36.99 Buy It Now 13 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING NEW CD USD $13.26 Buy It Now 13 days
David Bowie - Earthling - Vinyl Record Import 2013 New (BLUE VINYL) USD $99.99 Buy It Now 13 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING - BONUS TRACK (IMPORT) NEW CD USD $33.93 Buy It Now 13 days
SEALED Earthling by David Bowie (CD, Feb-1997, Virgin) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 14 days
David Bowie - Earthling - U.S. cd - RARE! 101714 USD $5.95 Buy It Now 14 days
DAVID BOWIE "Earthling" Virgin/7243 8 42627 2 3 (CD,1997) USD $6.99 Buy It Now 14 days
David Bowie - Earthling CD SONY USD $14.99 Buy It Now 14 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING [REMASTER] - NEW CD USD $7.67 Buy It Now 15 days
David Bowie - Earthling (1997) - Used - Compact Disc USD $1.37 Buy It Now 15 days
David Bowie - Earthling NEW! 24HR POST!! USD $9.63 Buy It Now 15 days
David Bowie, Earthling Audio CD USD $6.23 Buy It Now 15 days
David Bowie 1997 Earthling BMG Music Hong Kong Limited Edition 9 Track CD Album USD $49.99 Buy It Now 15 days
David Bowie - Earthling in The City EP - US DJ CD USD $9.99 Buy It Now 16 days
David Bowie Earthling Usa Cd USD $7.99 Buy It Now 16 days
DAVID BOWIE - Earthling - LP - numbered & green colour (mint) USD $79.99 Buy It Now 16 days
David Bowie : Earthling CD (1997) USD $4.00 Buy It Now 16 days
David Bowie:Sony Empty Promo Box [heathen hours earthling Japan Mini-LP no cd Q USD $110.00 Buy It Now 16 days
David Bowie:Earthling Empty Promo Box [Japan Mini-LP no cd brian eno reed lou Q USD $65.00 Buy It Now 16 days
David Bowie - Earthling (100% Japanese w/ OBI) Blu-spec CD2 USD $36.95 Buy It Now 17 days
David Bowie Earthling vinyl LP NEW/SEALED USD $49.62 Buy It Now 17 days
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, Feb-1997, Virgin) FRONT COVER MISSING A PAGE USD $1.99 Buy It Now 18 days
David Bowie Earthling Limited Edition Transparent Blue Vinyl 180GM Vinyl LP USD $72.67 Buy It Now 18 days
David Bowie - Little Wonder 4 Mixes Junior Vasquez 12" from Earthling LP VG+ USD $9.90 Buy It Now 18 days
DAVID BOWIE [ EARTHLING ] ORIGINAL CASSETTE THAI EDITION STILL SEALED USD $19.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, Feb-1997, Virgin) USD $12.99 Buy It Now 18 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling 180-gram GREEN VINYL Limited Numbered NEW/SEALED BRIAN ENO USD $80.99 Buy It Now 18 days
david bowie earthling cd 1997 USD $5.34 Buy It Now 19 days
DAVID BOWIE - Earthling 1997 CD Virgin USD $4.97 Buy It Now 19 days
DAVID BOWIE "LITTLE WONDER" ORIGINAL 1997 UK PROMO CD (EARTHLING) USD $5.92 Buy It Now 19 days
LP david bowie
LP reality
~ USD $21.74
LP the next day
~ USD $21.48

More places to buy DAVID BOWIE music online Buy DAVID BOWIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DAVID BOWIE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DAVID BOWIE Earthling ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(8%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(24%)

DAVID BOWIE Earthling reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars WHERE IS THE LITTLE WONDER ?

If you think that "Outside" was a one shot album to feature techno beats or deep house investigations; you were wrong. Here comes "Earthling".

Although some of the songs could be considered as straight forward Bowie numbers, these background rhythms are completely denaturizing them. But this is only my opinion.

I have never been into this type of music, and even being a Bowie fan, I'm not deaf, dumb and blind (remember the no more heroes stuff). Lots of heavy post-grunge sounds as well, make this album rather difficult to bear.

I particularly hate "Dead Man Walking" and its house beat. But actually I don't like this album at all. At least "Outside" had an interesting storyboard, even if the music could never move me. "Earthling" doesn't have this feature.

As usual, the clips are highly creative and might be sufficient to apprehend this album. The live version of "Telling Lies" recorded in Amsterdam (Paradiso) and available on "LiveAndWell.com" is far much superior to the studio one. Simply rocking. But I like this.

One of the only bearable song to my ears is "I'm Afraid Of Americans". It depicts the invasion of the American "culture" all over the world (David once mentioned that he first thought of this while seeing the opening of the Mac Donald's in Indonesia).

The song is not a new one, it was co-written by Eno and Bowie and appeared in the movie "Showgirls" from the Dutch film director Paul Verhoeven (1995).

This album could have maybe been a decent one if restricted to a more straight-forward rock sound (like while played live). As such, I just can't stand it. What did you do David? One star.

Review by snobb
2 stars So, here we have a good example how one can kill the good music. The recipe is - use heavy simplistic drum machine!

Bowie's last album from "new-electronic" era. There are some good songs - "I'm Afraid Of Americans" or "Little Wonder", some good instrumental arrangements ( in "Seven Years In Tibet "or "Law" songs). In fact, there is enough of strong material for good Bowie album. But the realisation killed it!

I don't think it's done by mistake - Bowie is too professional for that. I think the idea was just to catch young fans , so the main accent was put into heavy techno/house rhytnms.

The result we know - no new listeners, and negative reaction from old fans. And there isn't a classic case with Bowie experimentation. I think, music just was killed by that. It's pity, I think from that material strong Bowie album could be produced.

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Bowie sounds like a damned fool on this album. For his latest effort in proving how hip to the times he was, Bowie embraced the cutting-edge programmed percussion styles of 1997, and he often lets the songs go for long stretches where his programmed percussion is the only important part of the sound. The harder he tries, though, the clearer it is that he's a poseur (he was 50 when this album came out!!!) and the more I wish he would just go back to arranging his songs like on Buddha of Suburbia. This album has aged horrendously, and in my observations has been one that has been disproportionately easy to find used at very cheap prices.

And yet, out of the nine tracks on here, only two seem flat-out bad to me. "The Last Thing You Should Do" is notable only in how un-notable it is, and the closing "Law (Earthlings on Fire)" is every bit as embarrassing as "Pallas Athena" was in 1993, but once I get used to the monotonous percussion choices, I find myself enjoying every other song on here. "Dead Man Walking," for instance, sounds at first like Bowie has made one of the tackiest songs of his entire career, and yet I wasn't surprised at all when I saw a video of him performing an acoustic version of the song that sounded like a career highlight. The arrangement is hideous, mind you, but the song itself is good enough that I wouldn't mind hearing it again once in a while. And the rest just sounds like a bunch of solid, tweaked pop songs crossed with horrible techno monsters. The opening "Little Wonder" is basically just a lightweight pop ballad, except in the moments where it gets dark in the "so far away" repeated vocals, and it definitely sets a pleasant tone for the album. The "SATELLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITES" backing vocal part is a strong enough hook to make "Looking for Satellites" enjoyable, and I even like the endless noisemaking of Gabrels' guitar playing. "Battle for Britain (The Letter)" is a little too noisy and chaotic to work completely given how relatively simplistic it is at its core, but I like the individual ideas, and the song works better than it probably should. "Seven Years in Tibet" annoys me more than a bit when the "trance" beat is pushed to the forefront, but whenever it slips out of that mode into a heavy guitar rocker, I'm thoroughly sucked in. It's got a nice vocal melody, anyway, even if I don't pay much attention to the lyrics. And "Telling Lies," well, I crack up every time I hear that dead-man croak saying the title of the song; I just have to get around the drums, as usual.

But of course, the big highlight is "I'm Afraid of Americans," originally a collaboration with Brian Eno and infamous for getting remixed by Nine Inch Nails. This is the one case on the album (in my opinion) where the percussion is used in service of the song and not as a gimmick, as it works with the jittery synth line and the stuttering backing vocal sounds in a nearly ideal manner. The lyrics are really great as well; I feel like the minimalism helps amp up the paranoid vibe of the song even further, to the point that when Bowie cuts in with, "God is an American" it almost sounds horrifying. It's a freaking classic on an album that badly needs a freaking classic.

So ok, I can't say I love this album, and I'm not even sure I would recommend it, but if you can cut through the jungle of, um, jungle, there's some awfully good material here. If you can find it for a couple of dollars (and believe me, you probably can), consider getting it.

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Hardly a little "wonder", but good still

This album is not very highly regarded here on our beloved archives, but at the time of its release in 1997 Earthling was (in my personal opinion anyway) the best Bowie effort since 1980's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) and thus something of a comeback for the man. I used to listen to this album a lot at the time when I discovered it, which must have been a few years after its release. Listening to it again now several years later, the quality of the album does not hold up as well as it used to for me. But I still find enjoyment in several of the tracks, particularly the opening Little Wonder. Many Rock fans will undoubtedly be turned off by Bowie's seemingly wholehearted embrace of contemporary production and particularly the programmed drums (sometimes mixed with real drums) that occasionally creates the feeling of a re-mix album. But one might keep in mind that Bowie has always been embracing new sounds and technology throughout his long career - sometimes with success and other times with less success.

Some tracks on Earthling are admittedly a bit annoying due to their repetitiveness, like Looking For Satellites and The Last Thing You Should Do. But generally, Bowie sounds inspired and you can tell that he had fun in the making of this album. Several of the songs have witty lyrics. What this album lacks is one or two more relaxed tunes that would let the listener catch his breath a bit.

Bowie would go on to make better albums in 'hours...' and Heathen, but Earthling somehow indicated a new beginning. Overall, it is a worthwhile listen.

4 stars Rating: 8/10 Bowie recovers his underground and always advanced-for-the-time style, now in the '90s. Corrosive, aggressive; some times too much filled with claustrophobic and lo-fi beats but that's exactly what makes it weird, yes a WEIRD album in Bowie's catalogue after almost four deca ... (read more)

Report this review (#459201) | Posted by Mattiias | Saturday, June 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

1 stars When I listen to albums like these I get angry! I can imagine Bowie sitting on his own thinking: "Well...I guess I must create an album that appeals to all the youngsters out there that only know me by the single "China Girl" - I must show them that I am a hip dude. Let´s make an album with d ... (read more)

Report this review (#259488) | Posted by Matte | Tuesday, January 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAVID BOWIE "Earthling"