EARTHLING

Good, but non-essential

Buy DAVID BOWIE Music
Studio Album, released in 1997

1. Little Wonder (6:02)
2. Looking for Satellites (5:21)
3. Battle for Britain (The Letter) (4:49)
4. Seven Years in Tibet (6:22)
5. Dead Man Walking (7:26)
6. Telling Lies (4:50)
7. The Last Thing You Should Do (4:58)
8. I'm Afraid of Americans (5:00)
9. Law (Earthlings on Fire) (4:49)

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling lyrics

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling tabs

- David Bowie / vocals, guitar, alto saxophone, samples, keyboards
- Reeves Gabrels / programming, synthesizers, real and sampled guitars, vocals
- Mark Plati / programming, loops, samples, keyboards
- Gail Ann Dorsey / bass, vocals
- Zachary Alford / drum loops, acoustic drums, electronic percussion
- Mike Garson / keyboards, piano

Original issue: Arista Records (UK), Virgin (USA)
Reissues on Columbia Records

Thanks to classicrocker for the addition

DAVID BOWIE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DAVID BOWIE Earthling Music

Sony 2004
Sony / Bmg Japan 2004
Earthling (Limited) by Sony JapanEarthling (Limited) by Sony Japan
Sony Japan
David Bowie: Earthling In The City (enhanced) [EP]David Bowie: Earthling In The City (enhanced) [EP]
EP
GQ Magazine
Audio CD$12.50 (used)
Earthling [Digibook Expanded Edition] by David Bowie [Music CD]Earthling [Digibook Expanded Edition] by David Bowie [Music CD]
Columbia
Earthling by BmgEarthling by Bmg
Bmg
David Bowie Earthling Original Virgin Records Release 7243 8 42627 2 3 USD $7.49 [3 bids]
DAVID BOWIE [ EARTHLING ] ORIGINAL CASSETTE THAI EDITION STILL SEALED USD $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 15m
David Bowie - Earthling (2015) Limited 180g Green Vinyl LP Trifold Sleeve NEW USD $72.21 Buy It Now 23h 30m
David Bowie Earthling Special Ltd Edit. 2CD Set/Hardback Booklet (2004) OOP CD USD $37.59 [4 bids]
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, Feb-1997, Virgin) USD $14.35 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Earthling Ltd. Numbered Blue Vinyl 180gram Audiophile Vinyl USD $101.20 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE EART HL I NG 180 GRAM VINYL RSD 2015 sealed Earthling USD $56.99 Buy It Now 1 day
EARTHLING + HOURS BY DAVID BOWIE - CD LOT OF 2 - VIRGIN USD $14.00 [1 bids]
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, 1997) USD $6.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Earthling TV cd very rare live recordings Thunderball TB003 MTV SNL USD $19.99 [1 bids]
Lot Of 11 David Bowie CDs Diamond Dogs, Low, Earthling, Hours, Hunky Dory USD $39.95 [1 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Earthling In The City promo only CD from 1997 with 6 songs - 3 LIVE USD $9.99 [0 bids]
David BOWIE Earthling Ltd Ed Orig 2007 Mini LP CD + BONUS Disc JAPAN MHCP 1342-3 USD $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE RSD FRIDAY MUSIC LP LOT OUTSIDE EARTHLING HOURS HEATHEN REALITY NEW1 USD $500.00 [0 bids]
David Bowie Earthling Vinyl LP 180 Gram 2013 Music On Vinyl Reissue Pressing USD $40.00 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie Earthling RSD Black Friday limited 180gm green vinyl LP gatefold NEW USD $70.78 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING (SPECIAL EDITION) HARDBACK 2 CD ISSUE - VG+ USD $16.64 [6 bids]
David Bowie - Earthling (1997) - New - Compact Disc USD $34.89 Buy It Now 3 days
3- cd / david bowie lot - heathen/earthling/black tie-white noise USD $15.30 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE MUSIC PRESS MAGAZINE CUTTING EARTHLING THE ALBUM 1997 A4 USD $5.77 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie EARTHLING Limited Numbered, Reissue Green Transparent SEALED RAREST USD $49.99 [1 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Earthling PROMO CD 1997 Virgin DPRO-12206 Unplayed USD $29.88 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE - Earthling - Out of Print South African CD CDAST(WF)330 USD $30.00 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie Earthling MOV audiophile 180gm BLACK vinyl LP gatefold NEW/SEALED USD $70.78 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie 6 Earthling tour tickets USD $101.20 [0 bids]
David Bowie 5 American Earthling tour tickets 97 USD $50.60 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE 1997 *RARE* RCA PROMO POSTCARD for EARTHLING 4¼"x11¾" Great To Frame USD $4.32 [0 bids]
David Bowie Earthling - 1997 BMG USD $19.99 Buy It Now 6 days
David Bowie Earthling Tour 1997 Que Club Birmingham Ticket USD $14.46 [1 bids]
DAVID BOWIE - SUPERB 'EARTHLING / CROSS' - STUNNING 11oz COLLECTORS MUG USD $7.21 Buy It Now 6 days
David Bowie - Earthling - Black Friday RSD Release + RSD GOODY BAG USD $83.84 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID BOWIE--EARTHLING Premium HQ-180 RTI LP Pressing--FACTORY SEALED USD $46.03 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Earthling Cassette Tape 1997 PLAY TESTED I'm Afraid of Americans USD $19.99 Buy It Now 7 days
CD DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING IN THE CITY PROMO GQ ENHANCED 1997 6 TRACK USD $15.00 Buy It Now 8 days
David Bowie - Earthling (180 gram Green Vinyl) USD $61.44 Buy It Now 9 days
David Bowie 1997 Earthling Hong Kong Edition 9 TRK CD Album not Taiwan Blackstar USD $39.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Rare David Bowie Earthling RCA BMG 10 Track Re Master Emi Extended Booklet USD $26.33 Buy It Now 10 days
David Bowie Little Wonder / Telling Lies 2-track cardsleeve CD single Earthling USD $6.99 Buy It Now 10 days
David Bowie Earthling shaped vinyl sticker 170mmx100mm Blackstar Ziggy Stardust USD $5.06 Buy It Now 10 days
David Bowie Earthling promo cd USD $19.99 Buy It Now 11 days
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING ~ ORIGINAL 1997 FIRST PRESS UK EC CD WITH FOLDOUT BOOKLET USD $65.06 Buy It Now 12 days
David Bowie Earthling Original 1997 LP Ltd Ed.Gatefold Press (In Torn Shrink) USD $150.00 Buy It Now 13 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling LP / GREEN VINYL / BLACK FRIDAY RSD USD $79.50 Buy It Now 15 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling CD NEW JAPANESE Edition w/ BONUS TRACK Adam USD $77.77 Buy It Now 15 days
David Bowie Earthling MOV limited numbered blue transparent 180gm vinyl LP NEW/S USD $70.78 Buy It Now 15 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING (VERY RARE PROMO POSTCARD - 1997) USD $7.21 Buy It Now 15 days
David BOWIE LP Earthling RECORD STORE Day Black Friday 2015 180g GREEN Vinyl S/S USD $69.32 Buy It Now 17 days
David Bowie 'Earthling' Sealed 2015 RSD Black Friday USD $41.00 Buy It Now 17 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling 1st EU Issue 1997 COMPLETE! NM Ltd. USD $150.00 Buy It Now 17 days
David Bowie 1997 Earthling Taiwan OBI Box Cassette Tape Promo Sticker Blackstar USD $49.99 Buy It Now 17 days
David Bowie - Earthling - New Record Store Day/Black Friday 180g GREEN Vinyl LP USD $69.32 Buy It Now 18 days
David Bowie: Earthling (mini LP) [Ltd] CD (Japan) USD $69.00 Buy It Now 18 days
David Bowie - Earthling (Expanded) (2004) - New - Compact Disc USD $3.12 Buy It Now 20 days
DAVID BOWIE EART HL I NG 180 GRAM VINYL RSD 2015 sealed Earthling USD $59.98 Buy It Now 21 days
David Bowie-Earthling A3 Photographic Print USD $7.94 Buy It Now 21 days
DAVID BOWIE "EARTHLING" LTD EDITION CD JAPANESE PRESS W/OBI. 2 DISCS + INSERTS USD $39.99 Buy It Now 21 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling 2015 PREMIUM VINYL PRESSING HQ-180 gram RTI USD $49.99 Buy It Now 21 days
David Bowie - Earthling (CD, 2008) NEW / SEALED USD $19.00 Buy It Now 21 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling limited edition 180 Gram Vinyl SEALED LP tri-fold cover USD $69.97 Buy It Now 23 days
DAVID BOWIE+Earthling+POSTER+AD+RARE ORIGINAL 1997+FRAMED+EXPRESS GLOBAL SHIP USD $101.13 Buy It Now 23 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling in the City PROMO CD 3 rare LIVE TRACKS & rare MIX USD $19.99 Buy It Now 24 days
DAVID BOWIE.....EARTHLING....BLACK FRIDAY RSD 2015.....NEW & SEALED USD $32.99 Buy It Now 24 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling 180gm LIMITED TRANSPARENT BLUE Vinyl LP 2013 NEW USD $71.56 Buy It Now 25 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling 180gm LIMITED TRANSPARENT GREEN Vinyl LP 2013 NEW SEALED USD $83.78 Buy It Now 25 days
David Bowie Earthling RCA Original 1997 EU Import Gatefold EX USD $175.00 Buy It Now 27 days
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING CD 2004 BONUS TRACKS 13 CLASSIC ALTERNATIVE PSYCH ROCK USD $25.00 Buy It Now 27 days
DAVID BOWIE - Earthling - LP - numbered & green colour (mint) USD $79.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Rare David Bowie 2 CD Boxset Hours Earthling IMPORT Sealed Edition France USD $99.77 Buy It Now 28 days
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, 1997, BMG Ariola) MADE IN ARGENTINA USD $55.00 Buy It Now 28 days
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING CD NEW USD $9.12 Buy It Now 28 days
David Bowie Earthling RSD Record Store Day Black Friday 2015 Green Vinyl NEW! USD $43.99 Buy It Now 29 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling PHOTO Print POSTER The Next Day Blackstar Ziggy Stardust 8 USD $5.05 Buy It Now 29 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling PHOTO Print POSTER The Next Day Blackstar Ziggy Stardust 8 USD $7.21 Buy It Now 29 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling PHOTO Print POSTER The Next Day Blackstar Ziggy Stardust 8 USD $21.67 Buy It Now 29 days
David Bowie Earthling 2 CD Limited Edition Rarities Mixes etc New and Sealed USD $57.81 Buy It Now 29 days
David Bowie Earthling MOV limited numbered green transparent 180gm vinyl LP NEW/ USD $92.02 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy DAVID BOWIE music online Buy DAVID BOWIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DAVID BOWIE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DAVID BOWIE Earthling ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(12%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(25%)

DAVID BOWIE Earthling reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars WHERE IS THE LITTLE WONDER ?

If you think that "Outside" was a one shot album to feature techno beats or deep house investigations; you were wrong. Here comes "Earthling".

Although some of the songs could be considered as straight forward Bowie numbers, these background rhythms are completely denaturizing them. But this is only my opinion.

I have never been into this type of music, and even being a Bowie fan, I'm not deaf, dumb and blind (remember the no more heroes stuff). Lots of heavy post-grunge sounds as well, make this album rather difficult to bear.

I particularly hate "Dead Man Walking" and its house beat. But actually I don't like this album at all. At least "Outside" had an interesting storyboard, even if the music could never move me. "Earthling" doesn't have this feature.

As usual, the clips are highly creative and might be sufficient to apprehend this album. The live version of "Telling Lies" recorded in Amsterdam (Paradiso) and available on "LiveAndWell.com" is far much superior to the studio one. Simply rocking. But I like this.

One of the only bearable song to my ears is "I'm Afraid Of Americans". It depicts the invasion of the American "culture" all over the world (David once mentioned that he first thought of this while seeing the opening of the Mac Donald's in Indonesia).

The song is not a new one, it was co-written by Eno and Bowie and appeared in the movie "Showgirls" from the Dutch film director Paul Verhoeven (1995).

This album could have maybe been a decent one if restricted to a more straight-forward rock sound (like while played live). As such, I just can't stand it. What did you do David? One star.

Review by snobb
2 stars So, here we have a good example how one can kill the good music. The recipe is - use heavy simplistic drum machine!

Bowie's last album from "new-electronic" era. There are some good songs - "I'm Afraid Of Americans" or "Little Wonder", some good instrumental arrangements ( in "Seven Years In Tibet "or "Law" songs). In fact, there is enough of strong material for good Bowie album. But the realisation killed it!

I don't think it's done by mistake - Bowie is too professional for that. I think the idea was just to catch young fans , so the main accent was put into heavy techno/house rhytnms.

The result we know - no new listeners, and negative reaction from old fans. And there isn't a classic case with Bowie experimentation. I think, music just was killed by that. It's pity, I think from that material strong Bowie album could be produced.

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Bowie sounds like a damned fool on this album. For his latest effort in proving how hip to the times he was, Bowie embraced the cutting-edge programmed percussion styles of 1997, and he often lets the songs go for long stretches where his programmed percussion is the only important part of the sound. The harder he tries, though, the clearer it is that he's a poseur (he was 50 when this album came out!!!) and the more I wish he would just go back to arranging his songs like on Buddha of Suburbia. This album has aged horrendously, and in my observations has been one that has been disproportionately easy to find used at very cheap prices.

And yet, out of the nine tracks on here, only two seem flat-out bad to me. "The Last Thing You Should Do" is notable only in how un-notable it is, and the closing "Law (Earthlings on Fire)" is every bit as embarrassing as "Pallas Athena" was in 1993, but once I get used to the monotonous percussion choices, I find myself enjoying every other song on here. "Dead Man Walking," for instance, sounds at first like Bowie has made one of the tackiest songs of his entire career, and yet I wasn't surprised at all when I saw a video of him performing an acoustic version of the song that sounded like a career highlight. The arrangement is hideous, mind you, but the song itself is good enough that I wouldn't mind hearing it again once in a while. And the rest just sounds like a bunch of solid, tweaked pop songs crossed with horrible techno monsters. The opening "Little Wonder" is basically just a lightweight pop ballad, except in the moments where it gets dark in the "so far away" repeated vocals, and it definitely sets a pleasant tone for the album. The "SATELLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITES" backing vocal part is a strong enough hook to make "Looking for Satellites" enjoyable, and I even like the endless noisemaking of Gabrels' guitar playing. "Battle for Britain (The Letter)" is a little too noisy and chaotic to work completely given how relatively simplistic it is at its core, but I like the individual ideas, and the song works better than it probably should. "Seven Years in Tibet" annoys me more than a bit when the "trance" beat is pushed to the forefront, but whenever it slips out of that mode into a heavy guitar rocker, I'm thoroughly sucked in. It's got a nice vocal melody, anyway, even if I don't pay much attention to the lyrics. And "Telling Lies," well, I crack up every time I hear that dead-man croak saying the title of the song; I just have to get around the drums, as usual.

But of course, the big highlight is "I'm Afraid of Americans," originally a collaboration with Brian Eno and infamous for getting remixed by Nine Inch Nails. This is the one case on the album (in my opinion) where the percussion is used in service of the song and not as a gimmick, as it works with the jittery synth line and the stuttering backing vocal sounds in a nearly ideal manner. The lyrics are really great as well; I feel like the minimalism helps amp up the paranoid vibe of the song even further, to the point that when Bowie cuts in with, "God is an American" it almost sounds horrifying. It's a freaking classic on an album that badly needs a freaking classic.

So ok, I can't say I love this album, and I'm not even sure I would recommend it, but if you can cut through the jungle of, um, jungle, there's some awfully good material here. If you can find it for a couple of dollars (and believe me, you probably can), consider getting it.

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Hardly a little "wonder", but good still

This album is not very highly regarded here on our beloved archives, but at the time of its release in 1997 Earthling was (in my personal opinion anyway) the best Bowie effort since 1980's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) and thus something of a comeback for the man. I used to listen to this album a lot at the time when I discovered it, which must have been a few years after its release. Listening to it again now several years later, the quality of the album does not hold up as well as it used to for me. But I still find enjoyment in several of the tracks, particularly the opening Little Wonder. Many Rock fans will undoubtedly be turned off by Bowie's seemingly wholehearted embrace of contemporary production and particularly the programmed drums (sometimes mixed with real drums) that occasionally creates the feeling of a re-mix album. But one might keep in mind that Bowie has always been embracing new sounds and technology throughout his long career - sometimes with success and other times with less success.

Some tracks on Earthling are admittedly a bit annoying due to their repetitiveness, like Looking For Satellites and The Last Thing You Should Do. But generally, Bowie sounds inspired and you can tell that he had fun in the making of this album. Several of the songs have witty lyrics. What this album lacks is one or two more relaxed tunes that would let the listener catch his breath a bit.

Bowie would go on to make better albums in 'hours...' and Heathen, but Earthling somehow indicated a new beginning. Overall, it is a worthwhile listen.

4 stars Rating: 8/10 Bowie recovers his underground and always advanced-for-the-time style, now in the '90s. Corrosive, aggressive; some times too much filled with claustrophobic and lo-fi beats but that's exactly what makes it weird, yes a WEIRD album in Bowie's catalogue after almost four deca ... (read more)

Report this review (#459201) | Posted by Mattiias | Saturday, June 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

1 stars When I listen to albums like these I get angry! I can imagine Bowie sitting on his own thinking: "Well...I guess I must create an album that appeals to all the youngsters out there that only know me by the single "China Girl" - I must show them that I am a hip dude. Let´s make an album with d ... (read more)

Report this review (#259488) | Posted by Matte | Tuesday, January 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAVID BOWIE "Earthling"