EARTHLING

Good, but non-essential

Buy DAVID BOWIE Music
Studio Album, released in 1997

1. Little Wonder (6:02)
2. Looking for Satellites (5:21)
3. Battle for Britain (The Letter) (4:49)
4. Seven Years in Tibet (6:22)
5. Dead Man Walking (7:26)
6. Telling Lies (4:50)
7. The Last Thing You Should Do (4:58)
8. I'm Afraid of Americans (5:00)
9. Law (Earthlings on Fire) (4:49)

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling lyrics

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling tabs

- David Bowie / vocals, guitar, alto saxophone, samples, keyboards
- Reeves Gabrels / programming, synthesizers, real and sampled guitars, vocals
- Mark Plati / programming, loops, samples, keyboards
- Gail Ann Dorsey / bass, vocals
- Zachary Alford / drum loops, acoustic drums, electronic percussion
- Mike Garson / keyboards, piano

Original issue: Arista Records (UK), Virgin (USA)
Reissues on Columbia Records

Thanks to classicrocker for the addition

DAVID BOWIE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DAVID BOWIE Earthling Music

ISO Sony 2004
Virgin Records America 1997
Extra tracks · Remastered
Sony 2004
Sony Japan 2013
Sony / Bmg Japan 2004
Earthling + 1Earthling + 1
Earthling [Digibook Expanded Edition] by David Bowie [Music CD]Earthling [Digibook Expanded Edition] by David Bowie [Music CD]
Columbia
Earthling by Bowie, David [Music CD]Earthling by Bowie, David [Music CD]
Sony Japan
Hours / EarthlingHours / Earthling
Sony Bmg Europe 2007
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING (180GM) NEW VINYL USD $44.36 Buy It Now 1h 32m
DAVID BOWIE "LITTLE WONDER" ORIGINAL 1997 UK PROMO CD (EARTHLING) USD $9.37 [0 bids]
David Bowie : Earthling CD (1997) USD $3.52 Buy It Now 9h 24m
david bowie earthling cd 1997 USD $6.86 Buy It Now 10h 29m
David Bowie Earthling (CD, 1997, BMG Arista) MADE IN THE EC USD $25.00 Buy It Now 11h 6m
DAVID BOWIE Earthling CD, 1997 Virgin Records, IFPI 1674 USD $3.50 [0 bids]
USD $4.95 Buy It Now
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, Feb-1997, Virgin) USD $3.49 [0 bids]
David Bowie Dead Man Walking CD Maxi Single w Moby Remix from Earthling USD $3.49 [0 bids]
USD $5.00 Buy It Now
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, Feb-1997, Virgin) USD $2.00 [0 bids]
USD $3.00 Buy It Now
DAVID BOWIE 10CD BOX SET NEW Reality/Heathen/Hours/Earthling/Excerpts Outside USD $61.11 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie Earthling 180gram Audiophile BLACK Vinyl Gatefold- SEALED USD $36.10 Buy It Now 1 day
Earthling David Bowie MUSIC CD USD $7.65 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie : Earthling CD (1997) USD $0.77 [1 bids]
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, Feb-1997, Virgin) USD $7.98 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE - SUPERB 'EARTHLING / CROSS' - STUNNING 11oz COLLECTORS MUG USD $7.80 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie Little Wonder / Telling Lies 2-track cardsleeve CD Earthling USD $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE Earthling-Little Wonder/I'm Afraid Of Americans/Law/Dead Man Walking USD $25.74 [0 bids]
USD $137.64 Buy It Now
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING CD from Japan first limited edtion BVCA-721 USD $20.98 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE @@ EARTHLING @@ LIMITED EDITION IN BLUE TRANSPARENT VINYL USD $59.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING IN THE CITY-CD USD $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie EARTHLING 2xLP GREEN & BLUE Limited Colored Sold Out The Next Day USD $119.90 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie EARTHLING First Pressing GREEN LP Sold Out Limited Numbered Reality USD $66.90 Buy It Now 2 days
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, Feb-1997, Virgin) USD $7.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE**EARTHLING (GATEFOLD/180G)**VINYL USD $29.95 Buy It Now 3 days
A971 DAVID BOWIE / EARTHLING JAPAN CD BVCA-721 OBI USD $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING - CD - NEW - USD $14.66 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE-EARTHLING-JAPAN BLU-SPEC CD2 D73 USD $18.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE - Earthling - 2x LP - numbered: GREEN + BLUE (mint) USD $124.99 Buy It Now 4 days
* DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING USD $2.50 Buy It Now 4 days
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, Feb-1997, Virgin) USD $1.00 Buy It Now 4 days
CD/Japan- DAVID BOWIE Earthling +1 bonus trk w/OBI RARE ORIGINAL 1997 BVCA-721 USD $11.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE 'Earthling' MOV Audiophile 180g Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED USD $28.52 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie : Earthling CD (1997) USD $2.30 [0 bids]
Earthling - David Bowie (CD 2004) rock USD $3.00 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie - Earthling LP 180g BlueVinyl Rare Mint USD $46.91 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Earthling - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! USD $9.75 Buy It Now 6 days
David Bowie:Sony Empty Promo Box NM [heathen earthling Japan Mini-LP no cd Q USD $55.00 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID BOWIE /EARTHLING IN THE CITY EP USD $2.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE CD Album EARTHLING Orig 9 tracks 1997 EXCELLENT Cond USD $4.69 Buy It Now 7 days
Rare David Bowie Earthling RCA BMG 10 Track Re Master Emi Extended Booklet USD $20.86 Buy It Now 8 days
DAVID BOWIE SIGNED CD EARTHLING 97 RARE AUTOGRAPH TOUR NINE INCH NAILS PROMO USD $199.66 Buy It Now 8 days
Earthling in the City {EP} by David Bowie (CD, 1997 David Bowie/AT USD $1.99 Buy It Now 8 days
DAVID BOWIE 'EARTHLING' NEW RE-ISSUE LP ON 180GM VINYL USD $39.01 Buy It Now 8 days
Earthling by David Bowie  HITS  Minty CD  New Case  Free Ship USD $7.50 Buy It Now 8 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING, 2013 EU TRANSPARENT BLUE vinyl LP, 0387/2000, SEALED! USD $49.99 Buy It Now 8 days
David Bowie - Earthling (2003) NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST USD $6.07 Buy It Now 9 days
Earthling - David Bowie (2007, CD New) 4547366014600 USD $23.48 Buy It Now 9 days
David Bowie - Earthling [CD New] USD $30.21 Buy It Now 9 days
David Bowie Earthling promo cd USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9 days
David Bowie - Earthling - Sealed 180g Gatefold Vinyl LP g USD $34.23 Buy It Now 9 days
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING CD USD $3.99 Buy It Now 10 days
David Bowie EARTHLING 180g Audiophile LP Record - Music on Vinyl 2013 USD $28.41 Buy It Now 10 days
David Bowie - Earthling USA Shipping Included USD $3.97 Buy It Now 10 days
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING 180g Import NEW USD $37.99 Buy It Now 10 days
David BOWIE Earthling Ltd Ed Orig 2007 Mini LP CD + BONUS Disc JAPAN MHCP 1342-3 USD $44.99 Buy It Now 10 days
David Bowie Earthling Excellent USD $6.99 Buy It Now 10 days
David Bowie - Earthling Limited Edition 12" Transparent Blue Vinyl LP NEW USD $46.99 Buy It Now 10 days
DAVID BOWIE, Earthling, original issue 9-track Virgin CD, 1996, EXC COND! USD $3.74 Buy It Now 11 days
DAVID BOWIE [ EARTHLING ] ORIGINAL CD THAI EDITION STILL SEALED USD $49.99 Buy It Now 11 days
DAVID BOWIE - Earthling (CD 1997) USA Import EXC USD $6.22 Buy It Now 11 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING IN THE CITY-CD USD $6.99 Buy It Now 12 days
CD David Bowie Earthling in the City NEW SEALED 6 track promo 1997 Enhanced USD $9.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Earthling - David Bowie (2013, Vinyl New) USD $31.47 Buy It Now 12 days
David Bowie - Earthling - U.S. cd 100414 USD $4.95 Buy It Now 12 days
David Bowie-Earthling CD NEW USD $11.30 Buy It Now 12 days
David Bowie - Earthling (Expanded) (2004) - New - Compact Disc USD $4.99 Buy It Now 13 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING [REMASTER] - NEW CD USD $8.63 Buy It Now 13 days
DAVID BOWIE -- EARTHLING IN THE CITY -- PROMO CD W/LIVE TRACKS USD $6.99 Buy It Now 13 days
DAVID BOWIE Dead Man Walking PROMO CD SINGLE Earthling ROCK Electronic TECHNO 97 USD $0.99 Buy It Now 13 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling in the City PROMO CD 3 rare LIVE TRACKS & rare MIX USD $14.99 Buy It Now 13 days
David Bowie - Earthling In The City (RARE 1997 6 TRACK USA PROMO ECD) USD $3.99 Buy It Now 13 days
David Bowie Earthling RCA Original 1997 EU Import Gatefold EX USD $275.00 Buy It Now 13 days
DAVID BOWIE - Earthling in the City Lim. Ed. 6-track EP (w/ 3 live tracks) CD USD $0.99 Buy It Now 13 days
David Bowie - Earthling [Vinyl New] USD $33.93 Buy It Now 14 days
DAVID BOWIE Aladdin Sane JAPAN Mini LP GATEFOLD 2 CD COMBO Earthling In The City USD $19.99 Buy It Now 14 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING [JAPAN] - NEW CD USD $27.23 Buy It Now 14 days
EARTHLING DAVID BOWIE VINYL NEW USD $34.91 Buy It Now 14 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING [DAVID BOWIE] [5099751193524] - NEW CD USD $7.90 Buy It Now 14 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling 180gm Black Vinyl LP 2013 NEW & SEALED Music On Vinyl USD $34.32 Buy It Now 15 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING NEW SEALED 180 GRAM/GATEFOLD SLEEVE AUDIOPHILE LP 2013 USD $42.99 Buy It Now 15 days
David Bowie-Earthling CD NEW USD $11.16 Buy It Now 15 days
Earthling by David Bowie *New CD* USD $3.05 Buy It Now 15 days
Earthling - David Bowie (2004, CD New) USD $7.07 Buy It Now 15 days
David Bowie - Earthling USA CD Mint #T03 USD $4.54 Buy It Now 15 days
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING 180G MUSIC ON VINYL 2014 REISSUE FACTORY SEALED MINT COND USD $36.00 Buy It Now 15 days
David Bowie - Earthling (1999) USD $7.80 Buy It Now 16 days
David Bowie / Earthling / Limited Edition / 2CD USD $49.99 Buy It Now 16 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING NEW CD USD $9.15 Buy It Now 16 days
David Bowie TELLING LIES Earthling Rare CD single Adam F Gerald EARTHLING USD $8.99 Buy It Now 16 days
David Bowie - Earthling [CD New] USD $6.00 Buy It Now 16 days
David Bowie - Earthling - Vinyl Record Import 2013 New (BLACK VINYL) USD $39.99 Buy It Now 17 days
CD DAVID BOWIE Earthling in the City 6 TRACK EP PROMO NEAR MINT USD $9.99 Buy It Now 17 days
DAVID BOWIE "EARTHLING"180gr BLUE VINYL NO.LTD ED LP NEW SEALED USD $62.53 Buy It Now 17 days
David Bowie - Earthling CD SBME SPECIAL PRODUCTS USD $10.29 Buy It Now 18 days
DAVID BOWIE-Earthling-TIN MACHINE-Mike Garson-JUNGLE-Techno-DRUM'N'BASS-Rock-Cd USD $8.49 Buy It Now 18 days
David Bowie - Earthling LP 180g Vinyl NEW USD $34.99 Buy It Now 18 days
David Bowie : Earthling CD (1997) USD $3.96 Buy It Now 18 days
Rare David Bowie Earthling Columbia 13 Track 2004 CK92098 US Edition 4 Bonus Tks USD $23.69 Buy It Now 18 days
DAVID BOWIE U.S. VIRGIN CD EARTHLING EART HL I NG / CO NEW! FREE SHIPPING! USD $5.79 Buy It Now 18 days
NEW & SEALED David Bowie 10 CD Box set Outside Earthling Hours Heathen Reality USD $42.50 Buy It Now 18 days
LP david bowie ~ USD $30.40
LP earthling ~ USD $22.58
LP peter & the wolf ~ USD $25.22
LP reality ~ USD $25.10
LP the next day ~ USD $24.80

More places to buy DAVID BOWIE music online Buy DAVID BOWIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DAVID BOWIE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DAVID BOWIE Earthling ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(8%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(25%)

DAVID BOWIE Earthling reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars WHERE IS THE LITTLE WONDER ?

If you think that "Outside" was a one shot album to feature techno beats or deep house investigations; you were wrong. Here comes "Earthling".

Although some of the songs could be considered as straight forward Bowie numbers, these background rhythms are completely denaturizing them. But this is only my opinion.

I have never been into this type of music, and even being a Bowie fan, I'm not deaf, dumb and blind (remember the no more heroes stuff). Lots of heavy post-grunge sounds as well, make this album rather difficult to bear.

I particularly hate "Dead Man Walking" and its house beat. But actually I don't like this album at all. At least "Outside" had an interesting storyboard, even if the music could never move me. "Earthling" doesn't have this feature.

As usual, the clips are highly creative and might be sufficient to apprehend this album. The live version of "Telling Lies" recorded in Amsterdam (Paradiso) and available on "LiveAndWell.com" is far much superior to the studio one. Simply rocking. But I like this.

One of the only bearable song to my ears is "I'm Afraid Of Americans". It depicts the invasion of the American "culture" all over the world (David once mentioned that he first thought of this while seeing the opening of the Mac Donald's in Indonesia).

The song is not a new one, it was co-written by Eno and Bowie and appeared in the movie "Showgirls" from the Dutch film director Paul Verhoeven (1995).

This album could have maybe been a decent one if restricted to a more straight-forward rock sound (like while played live). As such, I just can't stand it. What did you do David? One star.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#175001) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 23, 2008

Review by snobb
2 stars So, here we have a good example how one can kill the good music. The recipe is - use heavy simplistic drum machine!

Bowie's last album from "new-electronic" era. There are some good songs - "I'm Afraid Of Americans" or "Little Wonder", some good instrumental arrangements ( in "Seven Years In Tibet "or "Law" songs). In fact, there is enough of strong material for good Bowie album. But the realisation killed it!

I don't think it's done by mistake - Bowie is too professional for that. I think the idea was just to catch young fans , so the main accent was put into heavy techno/house rhytnms.

The result we know - no new listeners, and negative reaction from old fans. And there isn't a classic case with Bowie experimentation. I think, music just was killed by that. It's pity, I think from that material strong Bowie album could be produced.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#238578) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 11, 2009

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Bowie sounds like a damned fool on this album. For his latest effort in proving how hip to the times he was, Bowie embraced the cutting-edge programmed percussion styles of 1997, and he often lets the songs go for long stretches where his programmed percussion is the only important part of the sound. The harder he tries, though, the clearer it is that he's a poseur (he was 50 when this album came out!!!) and the more I wish he would just go back to arranging his songs like on Buddha of Suburbia. This album has aged horrendously, and in my observations has been one that has been disproportionately easy to find used at very cheap prices.

And yet, out of the nine tracks on here, only two seem flat-out bad to me. "The Last Thing You Should Do" is notable only in how un-notable it is, and the closing "Law (Earthlings on Fire)" is every bit as embarrassing as "Pallas Athena" was in 1993, but once I get used to the monotonous percussion choices, I find myself enjoying every other song on here. "Dead Man Walking," for instance, sounds at first like Bowie has made one of the tackiest songs of his entire career, and yet I wasn't surprised at all when I saw a video of him performing an acoustic version of the song that sounded like a career highlight. The arrangement is hideous, mind you, but the song itself is good enough that I wouldn't mind hearing it again once in a while. And the rest just sounds like a bunch of solid, tweaked pop songs crossed with horrible techno monsters. The opening "Little Wonder" is basically just a lightweight pop ballad, except in the moments where it gets dark in the "so far away" repeated vocals, and it definitely sets a pleasant tone for the album. The "SATELLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITES" backing vocal part is a strong enough hook to make "Looking for Satellites" enjoyable, and I even like the endless noisemaking of Gabrels' guitar playing. "Battle for Britain (The Letter)" is a little too noisy and chaotic to work completely given how relatively simplistic it is at its core, but I like the individual ideas, and the song works better than it probably should. "Seven Years in Tibet" annoys me more than a bit when the "trance" beat is pushed to the forefront, but whenever it slips out of that mode into a heavy guitar rocker, I'm thoroughly sucked in. It's got a nice vocal melody, anyway, even if I don't pay much attention to the lyrics. And "Telling Lies," well, I crack up every time I hear that dead-man croak saying the title of the song; I just have to get around the drums, as usual.

But of course, the big highlight is "I'm Afraid of Americans," originally a collaboration with Brian Eno and infamous for getting remixed by Nine Inch Nails. This is the one case on the album (in my opinion) where the percussion is used in service of the song and not as a gimmick, as it works with the jittery synth line and the stuttering backing vocal sounds in a nearly ideal manner. The lyrics are really great as well; I feel like the minimalism helps amp up the paranoid vibe of the song even further, to the point that when Bowie cuts in with, "God is an American" it almost sounds horrifying. It's a freaking classic on an album that badly needs a freaking classic.

So ok, I can't say I love this album, and I'm not even sure I would recommend it, but if you can cut through the jungle of, um, jungle, there's some awfully good material here. If you can find it for a couple of dollars (and believe me, you probably can), consider getting it.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#358443) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 20, 2010

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Hardly a little "wonder", but good still

This album is not very highly regarded here on our beloved archives, but at the time of its release in 1997 Earthling was (in my personal opinion anyway) the best Bowie effort since 1980's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) and thus something of a comeback for the man. I used to listen to this album a lot at the time when I discovered it, which must have been a few years after its release. Listening to it again now several years later, the quality of the album does not hold up as well as it used to for me. But I still find enjoyment in several of the tracks, particularly the opening Little Wonder. Many Rock fans will undoubtedly be turned off by Bowie's seemingly wholehearted embrace of contemporary production and particularly the programmed drums (sometimes mixed with real drums) that occasionally creates the feeling of a re-mix album. But one might keep in mind that Bowie has always been embracing new sounds and technology throughout his long career - sometimes with success and other times with less success.

Some tracks on Earthling are admittedly a bit annoying due to their repetitiveness, like Looking For Satellites and The Last Thing You Should Do. But generally, Bowie sounds inspired and you can tell that he had fun in the making of this album. Several of the songs have witty lyrics. What this album lacks is one or two more relaxed tunes that would let the listener catch his breath a bit.

Bowie would go on to make better albums in 'hours...' and Heathen, but Earthling somehow indicated a new beginning. Overall, it is a worthwhile listen.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#389845) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 30, 2011

4 stars Rating: 8/10 Bowie recovers his underground and always advanced-for-the-time style, now in the '90s. Corrosive, aggressive; some times too much filled with claustrophobic and lo-fi beats but that's exactly what makes it weird, yes a WEIRD album in Bowie's catalogue after almost four deca ... (read more)

Report this review (#459201) | Posted by Mattiias | Saturday, June 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

1 stars When I listen to albums like these I get angry! I can imagine Bowie sitting on his own thinking: "Well...I guess I must create an album that appeals to all the youngsters out there that only know me by the single "China Girl" - I must show them that I am a hip dude. Letīs make an album with d ... (read more)

Report this review (#259488) | Posted by Matte | Tuesday, January 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAVID BOWIE "Earthling"