EARTHLING

Good, but non-essential

Buy DAVID BOWIE Music
Studio Album, released in 1997

1. Little Wonder (6:02)
2. Looking for Satellites (5:21)
3. Battle for Britain (The Letter) (4:49)
4. Seven Years in Tibet (6:22)
5. Dead Man Walking (7:26)
6. Telling Lies (4:50)
7. The Last Thing You Should Do (4:58)
8. I'm Afraid of Americans (5:00)
9. Law (Earthlings on Fire) (4:49)

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling lyrics

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling tabs

- David Bowie / vocals, guitar, alto saxophone, samples, keyboards
- Reeves Gabrels / programming, synthesizers, real and sampled guitars, vocals
- Mark Plati / programming, loops, samples, keyboards
- Gail Ann Dorsey / bass, vocals
- Zachary Alford / drum loops, acoustic drums, electronic percussion
- Mike Garson / keyboards, piano

Original issue: Arista Records (UK), Virgin (USA)
Reissues on Columbia Records

Thanks to classicrocker for the addition

DAVID BOWIE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DAVID BOWIE Earthling Music

Vinyl$34.99
Ziggy StardustZiggy Stardust
Hunky DoryHunky Dory
Parlophone 2008
Moulin Rouge! Music from Baz Luhrmann's FilmMoulin Rouge! Music from Baz Luhrmann's Film
Soundtrack
Interscope Records 2001
Young AmericansYoung Americans
Parlophone 1999
The Next Day (Deluxe Edition)The Next Day (Deluxe Edition)
Columbia 2013
Labyrinth: From The Original Soundtrack Of The Jim Henson FilmLabyrinth: From The Original Soundtrack Of The Jim Henson Film
Soundtrack
Parlophone 2007
LowLow
David Bowie - Rock Reflections - Early - Exc Cond US $7.04 Buy It Now 32m 12s
DAVID BOWIE LET'S DANCE NM 45rpm INTL SHIP VEC 180 ACL US $6.99 Buy It Now 36m 56s
DAVID BOWIE MODERN LOVE 45rpm INTL SHIP VEC 182 ACL US $6.99 Buy It Now 36m 56s
David Bowie~Station To Station~1976 RCA RVP-6027 Japan LP NM obi US $54.00 Buy It Now 37m 5s
Mick Jagger / David Bowie DANCING IN THE STREET in pic sleeve - vinyl M- US $6.29 Buy It Now 47m
DAVID BOWIE TONIGHT POSTER NM 45rpm INTL SHIP VEC 181 ACL US $6.99 Buy It Now 48m 55s
DAVID BOWIE Changesbowie CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
1h
David Bowie & Mick Jagger " Dancing In The Street PROMO !! Japan OBI LP S14-116 US $29.95 Buy It Now 1h 2m
DAVID BOWIE tonight LP VG+ SJ 17138 Record RL Ludwig Masterdisk 1984 US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
DAVID BOWIE Aladdin Sane JAPAN AUTHENTIC SHM MINI LP CD NEW OOP TOCP-95045 US $36.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
David Bowie Live Record Album LPs US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 8m
DAVID BOWIE Never Let Me Down JAPAN AUTHENTIC SHM MINI LP CD NEW OOP TOCP-95056 US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
DAVID BOWIE:Distressed Guitar:T-shirt NEW:SMALL ONLY US $26.38 Buy It Now 1h 14m
DAVID BOWIE Signed Autograph Book with COA - Highly Collectable, Extremely RARE! US $395.89 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE - HOURS - CD - NEW - US $14.24 Buy It Now 1h 20m
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING - CD - NEW - US $14.24 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Vintage Record 7" 45 rpm David Bowie RCA PH-13400 Fantastic Voyage US $6.00 [0 bids]
David Bowie Diamond Dogs Lp (Good) Original Press With Insert US $16.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE FASHION / SCREAM LIKE A BABY UK-7" PS 1980 US $8.96 Buy It Now 1h 33m
WHITE LIGHT WHITE HEAT DAVID BOWIE JK-13660 RCA US $16.07 [0 bids]
MOTT THE HOOPLE All the Young Dudes 1972 glam rock 7" David Bowie EXC US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 35m
DAVID BOWIE LOVING THE ALIEN RE-MIXED VERSION UK 7" 85 US $10.34 Buy It Now 1h 40m
DAVID BOWIE - REALITY- CD - NEW - US $14.21 Buy It Now 1h 44m
DAVID BOWIE CHINA GIRL / SHAKE IT HOL-7" PS 1983 US $6.89 Buy It Now 1h 45m
DAVID BOWIE DAY-IN DAY-OUT / JULIE SEALED GER-7" 1987 US $12.41 Buy It Now 1h 52m
DAVID BOWIE PAT METHENY GROUP THIS IS NOT AMERICA HOL-7 US $9.65 Buy It Now 1h 58m
David Bowie - Serious Moonlight NEW DVD US $18.11 Buy It Now 1h 59m
DAVID BOWIE stage 2 LP VG+ CPL2-2913 Vinyl 1978 Record USA RCA Stereo US $30.00 Buy It Now 2h
Job Lot 1 David Bowie (Vinyl Album) US $27.34 [3 bids]
DAVID BOWIE UNDERGROUND 2 VERS HOL-7" PS 1986 US $9.65 Buy It Now 2h 4m
DAVID BOWIE CAT PEOPLE PUTTING OUT FIRE PAUL'S THEME NM UNPALYED VEF 76 ZB US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
DAVID BOWIE Changes & Rebel Rebel 7" 45 record NEW + juke box title strip RARE! US $21.98 Buy It Now 2h 7m
David Bowie: The Singles: 1969-1993 [Box] (2 CDs, Ryko Distribution) US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 7m
DAVID BOWIE / the man who sold the world, lim edi RYKO, RARE NEW IN SHRINKWRAP US $99.99 Buy It Now 2h 12m
DAVID BOWIE / SPACE ODDITY - LIMITED EDITION RYKO - RARE NEW IN SHRINKWRAP US $99.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Job Lot 4 David Bowie (Vinyl Album) US $23.32 [2 bids]
DAVID BOWIE / HUNKY DORY LIMITED EDITION RYKO - RARE NEW IN SHRINKWRAP US $99.99 Buy It Now 2h 22m
45 PS - DAVID BOWIE (DAVE, DEREK, DEK & JOHN) (LOVE YOU TILL TUESDAY / MY DREAM) US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 30m
DAVID BOWIE LODGER CASSETTE TAPE GOOD HINGES US $2.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Sorrow & Amsterdam 7" 45 rpm vinyl record NEW + juke box title strip US $17.59 Buy It Now 2h 39m
GIGANTIC / DAVID BOWIE - Low Cassette Tape album / Framed Art / US $112.49 Buy It Now 3h
Extremely Rare 12" Single 'Dancing In The Street' By David Bowie US $6.43 [0 bids]
3h
DAVID BOWIE THE NEXT DAY EXTRA JAPAN DELUXE 2 CD + DVD Blu Spec 2 BONUS TRACKS US $50.99 Buy It Now 3h 3m
David Bowie Pat Metheny Japan Promo only Cassette US $59.99 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Ice Storm-David Bowie-Frank Zappa-Jim Croce-Bobby Bloom-Harry Nilsson-Jim Croce US $17.59 [0 bids]
LP - FRANCE PRESS - DAVID BOWIE (CHRISTIANE F. Soundtrack) -1981- RCA BL 43606 US $20.00 Buy It Now 3h 32m
45 P.S - ITALY PRESS - DAVID BOWIE - FAME / SPACE ODDITY - RCA TPBO 7013 US $35.00 Buy It Now 3h 35m
45PS - SPAIN PRESS- DAVID BOWIE (REBEL REBEL / QUEEN BITCH) -1973- RCA SPBO 9128 US $35.00 Buy It Now 3h 49m
DAVID BOWIE Low LP US RCA label press US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
DAVID BOWIE Tonight LP ORIGINAL US press US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
DAVID BOWIE Aladdin Sane '73 LP ORIGINAL US BEIGE label press GATEFOLD w/ lyrics US $44.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups LP ORIGINAL ORANGE label press US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
David Bowie 2002 Heathen Sony China Limited Edition CD Album not Taiwan Promo US $49.99 [0 bids]
David Bowie 1999 Hours China Limited Edition Slipcase CD Sealed not Taiwan Promo US $49.99 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Rebel Rebel 12" DJ Only Limited Edition Single Sided US $42.50 Buy It Now 4h 5m
David Bowie - Reality LP sealed 180g Green Vinyl Rare US $48.25 [0 bids]
David Bowie The Hearts Filthy Lesson Shape CD Single Israel Hebrew Sticker US $40.00 Buy It Now 4h 6m
David Bowie - Earthling LP 180g BlueVinyl Rare Mint US $48.25 [0 bids]
David Bowie - The Next Day 2LP sealed inc cd copy of album US $32.16 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Valentine's Day 7in picture disc Mint US $11.26 [0 bids]
Bay City Rollers on Magazine Cover 1974 Queen Alice Cooper David Bowie US $40.21 Buy It Now 4h 12m
David Bowie "Best Of Bowie" 2 x CD, EMI,2002. Good. US $3.20 [0 bids]
Blue Jeans Magazine 1 November 1986 No. 511 Andrew McCarthy David Bowie Lee Roth US $24.12 Buy It Now 4h 31m
David Bowie Ziggy Stardust EMPTY BOX for jewel case, japan mini lp cd US $50.00 [0 bids]
Blue Jeans Magazine 12 July 1986 No. 495 David Bowie Mr Mister Blow Monkeys US $24.12 Buy It Now 4h 37m
David Bowie - Best Of 69-74 CD US $18.83 Buy It Now 4h 38m
DAVID BOWIE " MODERN LOVE " IN Or. PIC SL. EX+ COND. US $1.59 Buy It Now 4h 40m
FOREVER 2 CD VOL 2 KYLIE MINOGUE COLDPLAY DAVID BOWIE WHITLAMS + MORE US $10.56 Buy It Now 4h 47m
David Bowie original painting poster portrait pop art HANDMADE by Jarecky US $48.23 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Heroes (CD 1999) NEW US $10.42 Buy It Now 4h 53m
NEVER LET ME DOWN - DAVID BOWIE (VINYL LP) - VERY GOOD - 24 HOUR POST!!! US $19.28 Buy It Now 4h 58m
David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars CD US $10.44 Buy It Now 5h
David Bowie TIN MACHINE Tin Machine Inc Bonus Track CD Album SUPERB CONDITION US $5.15 [2 bids]
DAVID BOWIE LIVE SANTA MONICA 72 US $9.63 [0 bids]
David Bowie Ziggy Stardust 1990 Japan CD Early Press With Obi TOCP-6205 HTF Rare US $39.80 Buy It Now 5h 22m
David Bowie Low 1991 JAPAN CD Early Press With Obi Bonus TOCP-6213 HTF Very Rare US $24.80 Buy It Now 5h 22m
David Bowie - Iggy Pop - Iggy & Ziggy - Sister Midnight (CD) - SFMCD235 US $9.63 Buy It Now 5h 27m
POST CARD - DAVID BOWIE (VINYL LP) - GOOD - 24 HOUR POST!!! US $17.67 Buy It Now 5h 28m
DAVID BOWIE cassette LIVE : PARIS LA COURNEUVE 3 July 1987 (Part II) ULTRA RARE US $49.00 [0 bids]
Blue Jeans Magazine 5 September 1987 No. 556 David Bowie Rob Lowe US $24.12 Buy It Now 5h 38m
Blue Jeans Magazine 7 February 1981 No. 212 Jimmy Baio David Bowie US $12.06 Buy It Now 5h 42m
DAVID BOWIE @@ BOYS KEEP SWINGING/FANTASTIC VOYAGE @@ RARE SPAIN ONLY 1979 US $49.99 Buy It Now 5h 45m
DAVID BOWIE/LET`S DANCE JPN EYS81580 US $19.00 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE @@ DIAMOND DOGS/REBEL REBEL @@ LIVE LONDON 5/5/76 -- CLEAR VINYL US $59.99 Buy It Now 5h 45m
DAVID BOWIE @@ FRANKFURT FESTHALLE @@ MEGA RARE 2-LP - LIVE IN FRANKFURT 1983 US $69.99 Buy It Now 5h 46m
DAVID BOWIE cassette LIVE : PARIS LA COURNEUVE 3 July 1987 (Part I) ULTRA RARE US $49.00 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE - COLLECTION CD ~ 70's / 80's BEST OF *NEW* US $9.54 Buy It Now 5h 52m
David Bowie The Collection CD US $8.75 Buy It Now 5h 53m
David Bowie 'David Live' Double Vinyl LP good Condition US $16.08 [0 bids]
David Bowie LET'S TALK Rare interview Vinyl picture disc excellent condition US $11.24 [0 bids]
Aladdin Sane, David Bowie, New Original recording reissued, Enh US $13.69 Buy It Now 5h 55m
Brian Connolly of The Sweet on Magazine Cover 1973 David Bowie Elton John US $80.41 Buy It Now 6h
Brian Connolly of The Sweet on Magazine Cover 1973 Donny Osmond David Bowie US $80.41 Buy It Now 6h
DAVID BOWIE Profile LP EX+ GER 1979 Decca Records US $14.46 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Bronski Beat on Magazine Cover 29 March 1986 David Bowie John Taylor Boy George US $24.12 Buy It Now 6h 5m
DAVID BOWIE tonight JAPAN LP OBI EYS-91092 kR4 US $8.99 Buy It Now 6h 6m
David Bowie Original Artwork US $48.25 [0 bids]
Bryan Ferry on Magazine Cover 1974 Slade David Bowie Wings Gary Glitter US $40.21 Buy It Now 6h 11m
DAVID BOWIE . . . ROCK REFLECTIONS. . . Cd MINT CONDITION US $10.29 Buy It Now 6h 12m
David Bowie-Ziggy Stardust & the spiders from mars-Lp -1e 2e-sf8287-lsp4702-1972 US $12.85 [0 bids]

More places to buy DAVID BOWIE music online Buy DAVID BOWIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DAVID BOWIE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DAVID BOWIE Earthling ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(8%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(26%)

DAVID BOWIE Earthling reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars WHERE IS THE LITTLE WONDER ?

If you think that "Outside" was a one shot album to feature techno beats or deep house investigations; you were wrong. Here comes "Earthling".

Although some of the songs could be considered as straight forward Bowie numbers, these background rhythms are completely denaturizing them. But this is only my opinion.

I have never been into this type of music, and even being a Bowie fan, I'm not deaf, dumb and blind (remember the no more heroes stuff). Lots of heavy post-grunge sounds as well, make this album rather difficult to bear.

I particularly hate "Dead Man Walking" and its house beat. But actually I don't like this album at all. At least "Outside" had an interesting storyboard, even if the music could never move me. "Earthling" doesn't have this feature.

As usual, the clips are highly creative and might be sufficient to apprehend this album. The live version of "Telling Lies" recorded in Amsterdam (Paradiso) and available on "LiveAndWell.com" is far much superior to the studio one. Simply rocking. But I like this.

One of the only bearable song to my ears is "I'm Afraid Of Americans". It depicts the invasion of the American "culture" all over the world (David once mentioned that he first thought of this while seeing the opening of the Mac Donald's in Indonesia).

The song is not a new one, it was co-written by Eno and Bowie and appeared in the movie "Showgirls" from the Dutch film director Paul Verhoeven (1995).

This album could have maybe been a decent one if restricted to a more straight-forward rock sound (like while played live). As such, I just can't stand it. What did you do David? One star.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#175001) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 23, 2008

Review by snobb
2 stars So, here we have a good example how one can kill the good music. The recipe is - use heavy simplistic drum machine!

Bowie's last album from "new-electronic" era. There are some good songs - "I'm Afraid Of Americans" or "Little Wonder", some good instrumental arrangements ( in "Seven Years In Tibet "or "Law" songs). In fact, there is enough of strong material for good Bowie album. But the realisation killed it!

I don't think it's done by mistake - Bowie is too professional for that. I think the idea was just to catch young fans , so the main accent was put into heavy techno/house rhytnms.

The result we know - no new listeners, and negative reaction from old fans. And there isn't a classic case with Bowie experimentation. I think, music just was killed by that. It's pity, I think from that material strong Bowie album could be produced.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#238578) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 11, 2009

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Bowie sounds like a damned fool on this album. For his latest effort in proving how hip to the times he was, Bowie embraced the cutting-edge programmed percussion styles of 1997, and he often lets the songs go for long stretches where his programmed percussion is the only important part of the sound. The harder he tries, though, the clearer it is that he's a poseur (he was 50 when this album came out!!!) and the more I wish he would just go back to arranging his songs like on Buddha of Suburbia. This album has aged horrendously, and in my observations has been one that has been disproportionately easy to find used at very cheap prices.

And yet, out of the nine tracks on here, only two seem flat-out bad to me. "The Last Thing You Should Do" is notable only in how un-notable it is, and the closing "Law (Earthlings on Fire)" is every bit as embarrassing as "Pallas Athena" was in 1993, but once I get used to the monotonous percussion choices, I find myself enjoying every other song on here. "Dead Man Walking," for instance, sounds at first like Bowie has made one of the tackiest songs of his entire career, and yet I wasn't surprised at all when I saw a video of him performing an acoustic version of the song that sounded like a career highlight. The arrangement is hideous, mind you, but the song itself is good enough that I wouldn't mind hearing it again once in a while. And the rest just sounds like a bunch of solid, tweaked pop songs crossed with horrible techno monsters. The opening "Little Wonder" is basically just a lightweight pop ballad, except in the moments where it gets dark in the "so far away" repeated vocals, and it definitely sets a pleasant tone for the album. The "SATELLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITES" backing vocal part is a strong enough hook to make "Looking for Satellites" enjoyable, and I even like the endless noisemaking of Gabrels' guitar playing. "Battle for Britain (The Letter)" is a little too noisy and chaotic to work completely given how relatively simplistic it is at its core, but I like the individual ideas, and the song works better than it probably should. "Seven Years in Tibet" annoys me more than a bit when the "trance" beat is pushed to the forefront, but whenever it slips out of that mode into a heavy guitar rocker, I'm thoroughly sucked in. It's got a nice vocal melody, anyway, even if I don't pay much attention to the lyrics. And "Telling Lies," well, I crack up every time I hear that dead-man croak saying the title of the song; I just have to get around the drums, as usual.

But of course, the big highlight is "I'm Afraid of Americans," originally a collaboration with Brian Eno and infamous for getting remixed by Nine Inch Nails. This is the one case on the album (in my opinion) where the percussion is used in service of the song and not as a gimmick, as it works with the jittery synth line and the stuttering backing vocal sounds in a nearly ideal manner. The lyrics are really great as well; I feel like the minimalism helps amp up the paranoid vibe of the song even further, to the point that when Bowie cuts in with, "God is an American" it almost sounds horrifying. It's a freaking classic on an album that badly needs a freaking classic.

So ok, I can't say I love this album, and I'm not even sure I would recommend it, but if you can cut through the jungle of, um, jungle, there's some awfully good material here. If you can find it for a couple of dollars (and believe me, you probably can), consider getting it.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#358443) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 20, 2010

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Hardly a little "wonder", but good still

This album is not very highly regarded here on our beloved archives, but at the time of its release in 1997 Earthling was (in my personal opinion anyway) the best Bowie effort since 1980's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) and thus something of a comeback for the man. I used to listen to this album a lot at the time when I discovered it, which must have been a few years after its release. Listening to it again now several years later, the quality of the album does not hold up as well as it used to for me. But I still find enjoyment in several of the tracks, particularly the opening Little Wonder. Many Rock fans will undoubtedly be turned off by Bowie's seemingly wholehearted embrace of contemporary production and particularly the programmed drums (sometimes mixed with real drums) that occasionally creates the feeling of a re-mix album. But one might keep in mind that Bowie has always been embracing new sounds and technology throughout his long career - sometimes with success and other times with less success.

Some tracks on Earthling are admittedly a bit annoying due to their repetitiveness, like Looking For Satellites and The Last Thing You Should Do. But generally, Bowie sounds inspired and you can tell that he had fun in the making of this album. Several of the songs have witty lyrics. What this album lacks is one or two more relaxed tunes that would let the listener catch his breath a bit.

Bowie would go on to make better albums in 'hours...' and Heathen, but Earthling somehow indicated a new beginning. Overall, it is a worthwhile listen.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#389845) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 30, 2011

4 stars Rating: 8/10 Bowie recovers his underground and always advanced-for-the-time style, now in the '90s. Corrosive, aggressive; some times too much filled with claustrophobic and lo-fi beats but that's exactly what makes it weird, yes a WEIRD album in Bowie's catalogue after almost four deca ... (read more)

Report this review (#459201) | Posted by Mattiias | Saturday, June 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

1 stars When I listen to albums like these I get angry! I can imagine Bowie sitting on his own thinking: "Well...I guess I must create an album that appeals to all the youngsters out there that only know me by the single "China Girl" - I must show them that I am a hip dude. Letīs make an album with d ... (read more)

Report this review (#259488) | Posted by Matte | Tuesday, January 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAVID BOWIE "Earthling"