LABYRINTH - ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

David Bowie Labyrinth - Original Soundtrack album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy DAVID BOWIE Music
Studio Album, released in 1986

1- Opening Titles Including Underground (3.18)
2- Into the Labyrinth (2.10)
3- Magic Dance (5.11)
4- Sarah (3.10)
5- Chilly Down (3.44)
6- Hallucination (3.00)
7- As the World Falls Down (4.49)
8- The Goblin Rattle (3.29)
9- Within You (3.29)
10- Thirteen O'Clock (3.06)
11- Home at Last (1.46)
12- Underground (5.57)

Search DAVID BOWIE Labyrinth - Original Soundtrack lyrics

Search DAVID BOWIE Labyrinth - Original Soundtrack tabs

- David Bowie / Vocals
- Trevor Jones / Composer (instrumental tracks), orchestration.

Thanks to eddietrooper for the addition

DAVID BOWIE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DAVID BOWIE Labyrinth - Original Soundtrack Music

Labyrinth: From The Original Soundtrack Of The Jim Henson FilmLabyrinth: From The Original Soundtrack Of The Jim Henson Film
Soundtrack
Parlophone 2007
LabyrinthLabyrinth
Soundtrack
EMI Distribution 1989
Audio Cassette$3.02 (used)
Labyrinth (soundtrack, 1986, orig. score by Trevor Jones) / Vinyl record [Vinyl-LP]Labyrinth (soundtrack, 1986, orig. score by Trevor Jones) / Vinyl record [Vinyl-LP]
Vinyl$399.99
LP david bowie ~ USD $30.40
LP earthling ~ USD $22.58
LP peter & the wolf ~ USD $25.22
LP reality ~ USD $25.10
LP the next day ~ USD $24.80

More places to buy DAVID BOWIE music online Buy DAVID BOWIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DAVID BOWIE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DAVID BOWIE Labyrinth - Original Soundtrack ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(5%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(5%)

DAVID BOWIE Labyrinth - Original Soundtrack reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars This soundtrack holds some good tracks as the opener ("Opening Titles Including Underground") even if the disco beat is not the one that I praise exaggerately; but most of them belong to the worse of Bowie like "Magic Dance". It is an awful dance song which is hard to believe and impossible for me to bear. A great example of a press next song.

This work has to be taken for what it is: a second zone record which won't appeal traditional fans, and won't gather many new ones. David was quite inactive in terms of new albums in those days. Labyrinth was composed by David for the majority of the tracks and by Trevor Jones (who is a professional film music composer). I have to admit that the songs from the latter are the ones that I usually don't like (the sole exception being the opener, but it was co-written by David).

"Chilly Down" is not the best from Bowie either. It starts as an industrial tune and ends up in some sort of a "10CC" pastiche. I haven't seen the movie (which was a complete commercial failure by the way) but even if I can't relate the music with the picture , I can tell whether a track is good or not.

I far much prefer the ambient "Hallucination" and the more traditional "As The World Falls Down". At least it allows David to perform a fine vocal part and the melody is quite catchy. One of the few good songs featured on this album.

The favourable mood is of short length, unfortunately. We are brought back into the nightmare with "The Goblin Battle". At this time, the bombastic and melodic "Within You" is more than welcome and pushes the listener to go further on in his discovery.

Let's be honest: this isn't a great nor even good album. Jones's parts are too many here, and "Thirteen O' Clock" is another weak part. But there aren't many good ones. The closing Underground and its electro beat combined with some negro-spiritual parts is pretty much dispensable. But don't press next at this time since it is the last song from this very average album.

Thanks to some good songs, this album escapes the minimum rating. But two stars are more than sufficient.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#183221) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 22, 2008

Review by memowakeman
2 stars Dance Magic Dance!

Honestly i am reviewing this album because i know the movie too well, i remember when i watched it for the first time several years ago, i didn't know Bowie was also an actor and that was funny, the movie Labyrinth has besides Bowie a young Jennifer Connelly as the main charachter, the other ones are puppets and the movie is directed by Jim Henson.

So this is not the typical David Bowie album, this is a soundtrack for a maybe kids and young audience, so the music has to be kind of easy listening and enjoyable. This time i am not reviewing song by song, first of all because i see no point of doing that since this is a progressive rock site, and this album has no prog songs, basically the music here is merely pop with some electronic things and danceable tunes, the lyrics has obviously to do with the movie scenes so if you want to understand this soundtrack is better to watch the movie.

Here, besides the music and lyrics by Bowie, the other person who paticipates is Trevor Jones who is the composer of the instrumental tracks, all those tracks have to be in the mood of the scene and the arrangements are very well done actually, the music for me is not bad at all, but of course not the best either, the vocal performance of Bowie is pretty average, my personal fav songs here are the silly Magic Dance, the beautiful As The World Falls Down and ther first and last song which are kind of the same, but it has it's terrible moments, like that song called Chilly Down, which is honestly awful, but it suits in the movie actually so that was the point i believe.

I personally love the movie, so i sympathize a lot with it's music and content, i like this soundtrack but that doesn't mean i have to give it a higher rating, not at all, in my opinion this deserves 2 stars, it is not prog rock first of all, secondly, it is not the best Bowie could offer to the listener, so thta means this album is not essential, i would probably suggest it only for those who like the movie and those die-hard Bowie fans.

2 stars!

However, enjoy it, and enjoy the film!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#194920) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Review by tarkus1980
1 stars I actually kinda like the movie from which this soundtrack comes. I never watched it until I was 23, so I don't have any childhood nostalgia towards it, but it strikes me as a halfway decent collection of weirdly interesting and atmospheric scenes that may not necessarily gell together perfectly but nonetheless makes for an amusing couple of hours. I even don't necessarily mind the soundtrack in the context of the film: the non-Bowie parts sound like standard 80's soundtrack fare (heavily based in big dramatic synthesizers), and the Bowie tracks are presented in such bizarre contexts that I'm able to have a good semi-ironic laugh at them. I can totally see why it would have bombed so badly upon release, but I'm glad it mustered a cult following in ensuing decades.

While the music of the film works decently enough within context, though, I find it unbearable as music I would consider just sitting down and listening to. And please don't tell me that it's unfair to judge a movie soundtrack involving a rock artist using the same standards I would use to judge a "regular album." The following albums from my collection are either movie soundtracks (in part or full) or were initially conceived as soundtracks, and all of them are albums I freely enjoy (there may be others in my collection, but these come to mind):

The Beatles: A Hard Day's Night

The Beatles: Help!

The Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour

Can: Soundtracks

Bob Dylan: Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid

Brian Eno: Music for Films (granted, it's for movies that were never made)

Brian Eno: Apollo: Atmospheres And Soundtracks

Peter Gabriel: Birdy

Peter Gabriel: Passion

Peter Gabriel: Long Walk Home

The Kinks: Arthur

Pink Floyd: More

Pink Floyd: Obscured by Clouds

Pink Floyd: The Wall (maybe not technically, but yeah, it is)

Prince: Purple Rain

Frank Zappa: Uncle Meat

Heck, even Bowie had had a soundtrack made of recent material just a few years earlier: 1982 saw the release of a soundtrack to a movie called Christiane F., where the soundtrack entirely consisted of tracks from Station to Station and the Berlin Trilogy. And don't forget that parts of Station to Station and Low were originally intended for the soundtrack to The Man Who Fell to Earth. The point is, there was absolutely no reason that Bowie couldn't have had his cake and eaten it too, by taking part in a soundtrack that would hold up fine as an album. This did not happen, and my feelings towards it follow accordingly.

The Trevor Jones half of the album may have been par for the course for movie soundtracks in the mid-80's (or maybe it wasn't!), but it's unlistenable today. It almost kinda reminds me of Frank Zappa's synclavier experiments in the 80's and early 90's, which don't really thrill me, but at least Frank was trying to write genuniely challenging late 20th-century classical and just didn't want to bother with real orchestras and their unions anymore. When these sounds try to create big dramatic tension, or big dramatic beauty, it sounds laughable. And oh me, oh my, there are some baaaaad synth horn sounds in here.

In the Bowie half, only the opening collaboration between Bowie and Jones, mixing the main title sequence with a brief snippet of "Underground," fills me with any halfway warm feelings, and that's largely because it's only 3:21 and neither Bowie nor Jones overstays his welcome. The full version of "Underground," which closes the soundtrack, makes for an excruciating six minutes: hearing pompous faux-gospel in such a ridiculous context doesn't make me happy. The most famous track, "Magic Dance," is mildly amusing for about as long as it takes to finish the initial exchange ("You remind me of the babe" "What babe?" etc): making this into a full-fledged five minutes when it just recycles a small set of mediocre ideas over and over was a terrible idea. "As the World Falls Down" and "Within You" probably could have been remade into something better in another era, at least if he'd taken the best ideas from each of them and combined them into a single track lasting three minutes: here they're just gloppy and boring. Plus, returning to their context in the film, the idea of David Bowie in a codpiece trying to seduce a young girl 20 years his junior makes this more than a little disturbing.

There's one more track (the irritating "Chilly Down"), but it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Ultimately, there's no reason for anybody to own this album. There are some fragments of goodness here and there, but nothing comes together well enough to make me want to listen to this ever again.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#306110) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 22, 2010

3 stars Writing a review on this marvellous soundtrack is a special occasion to me for two reasons. First of all, because from David Bowie's ouevre it is undeservedly underrated however, containing some of his best music ever written. Secondly, because of the film, naturally, which is still one of my favou ... (read more)

Report this review (#296234) | Posted by Lynx33 | Thursday, August 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars [Review 3] David Bowie – Labyrinth soundtrack Hahaha, oh man. I'll just get my bias out of the way: I grew up watching the movie Labyrinth on an almost daily basis. I absolutely loved this movie with its muppets, characters, landscapes and of course: David Bowie as Jareth, the ... (read more)

Report this review (#176097) | Posted by Kestrel | Friday, July 04, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAVID BOWIE "Labyrinth - Original Soundtrack"