GOING OFF ON ONE

- Krister Jonsson / guitar
- Sam Baine / vocals, keyboards
- Theo Travis / saxophone, flute

Inside Out, 2007

Thanks to gatot for the addition

THE TANGENT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE TANGENT Going Off On One Music

Special Edition
Inside Out U.S. 2004
Going Off on OneGoing Off on One
Inside Out U.S. 2007
Jean Jenkins "Music In The World of Islam - 2: Lutes" RARE ORIG TANGENT UK LP  US $19.99 [0 bids]
Tangent 2002: Disco Nouveau by US $5.34 Buy It Now 5h 7m
retro magazine advert 1980 TANGENT SYSTEMS US $8.43 Buy It Now 12h 57m
BUSDRIVER 'FEAR OF A BLACK TANGENT' US LP BRAND NEW UNPLAYED DISTRIBUTOR STOCK US $13.51 Buy It Now 15h 3m
Busdriver - Fear Of A Black Tangent (NEW CD) US $19.00 Buy It Now 19h 12m
British Traditional Jazz At A Tangent - Vol. 1-British Traditional Jazz [CD New] US $33.99 Buy It Now 22h 24m
British Traditional Jazz-At A Tangent - Vol. 2-British Traditional Jazz [CD New] US $33.99 Buy It Now 22h 25m
Mood Deluxe - Tangent Universe [CD New] US $20.99 Buy It Now 22h 25m
Spontaneous Music Ensemble THE SOURCE Trevor Watts Original 1970 Tangent 107lp US $95.00 [0 bids]
TANGENT - WORLD THAT WE DRIVE THROUGH (IMPORT) NEW CD US $36.83 Buy It Now 1 day
MUCKLE SANGS Scottish Tradition Series Vol 5 2-LP Tangent TNGM 119 (1975) UK NM US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Busdriver Fear Of A Black Tangent CD (UK Import) NEW US $14.85 Buy It Now 1 day
Tangent - Not As Good As The Book CD US $21.73 Buy It Now 1 day
Tangent - World That We Drive Through [CD New] US $22.91 Buy It Now 1 day
MUSIC IN THE WORLD OF ISLAM strings 1976 UK TANGENT STEREO LP US $59.16 Buy It Now 1 day
MUSIC IN THE WORLD OF ISLAM lutes 1976 UK TANGENT STEREO LP US $59.16 Buy It Now 1 day
MUSIC IN THE WORLD OF ISLAM flutes & trumpets 1976 UK TANGENT STEREO LP US $59.16 Buy It Now 1 day
MUSIC IN THE WORLD OF ISLAM reeds & bagpipes 1976 UK TANGENT STEREO LP US $50.71 Buy It Now 1 day
MUSIC IN THE WORLD OF ISLAM drums & rhythms 1976 UK TANGENT STEREO LP US $59.16 Buy It Now 1 day
MONOLAKE-tangent-RARE ORIG 1999 IMBALANCE COMPUTER MUSIC GERMANY 12" US $9.88 Buy It Now 1 day
The Tangent - Le Sacre Du Travail (The Rite Of Work) +2 BONUS TRACKS CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Trailer Park by Beth Orton (CD, Apr-1997, Dedicated) Chemical Brothers Tangent US $2.99 [0 bids]
Eddie Mendenhall - Cosine Meets Tangent CD Digipak US $9.00 Buy It Now 2 days
693723119922 Not As Good As The Book The Tangent 2 CD ANDY TILLISON FAST POST US $11.82 Buy It Now 2 days
VARIOUS:"SCOTTISH TRADITION-BOTHY BALLADS".1971 TANGENT MONO.NEAR MINT+BOOKLET!! US $11.83 Buy It Now 2 days
Tangent - Studio Sessions/Shadow Magic [CD New] US $14.82 Buy It Now 2 days
TANGENT Beyond a Shadow of a Doubt + Chasing Shadows Live 38 track 2 CD SEALED US $16.89 Buy It Now 2 days
TANGENT The Studio Sessions + Shadow Magic 36 track 2 CD SEALED Bristol Shadows US $16.89 Buy It Now 2 days
Territory Bands-At A Tangent - Vol. 4-Territory Bands-At A Tangent [CD New] US $21.38 Buy It Now 3 days
TANGENT - TRIBUTES & RARITIES/LIVE OVER ENGLAND - NEW CD BOXSET US $16.93 Buy It Now 3 days
The Tangent GOING OFF ON ONE DVD new & sealed US $9.99 [0 bids]
Tangent : Origin CD US $8.85 Buy It Now 3 days
THE TANGENT - THE STUDIO SESSIONS/SHADOW MAGIC - NEW CD BOXSET US $18.05 Buy It Now 3 days
TANGENT PLANE - PROJECT ELIMI - NEW CD US $12.09 Buy It Now 3 days
The Tangent - Le Sacre Du Travail (The Rite Of Work) (NEW LTD CD) Pre-order US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Tangent Ill: A Place In The Queue 2006 ULTRARARE RUSSIAN EDITION with OBI US $9.94 Buy It Now 3 days
AT A TANGENT, VOL. 4: TERRITORY BANDS (5017116532726) - NEW CD US $18.40 Buy It Now 3 days
Going Off On One by The Tangent (CD, Jun-2007, 2 Discs, Inside Out Music) US $14.41 Buy It Now 4 days
Delio: Though, on; As though; Dashow: Songs from a Spiral Tree; First Tangent... US $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Tangent - Going Off On One [CD New] US $17.33 Buy It Now 4 days
THE TANGENT - GOING OFF ON ONE [THE TANGENT] [CD BOXSET] [2 - NEW CD BOXSET US $17.05 Buy It Now 4 days
The Tangent - The Music That Died Alone (CD, Sep-2003, Inside Out Music) US $17.09 Buy It Now 4 days
TANGENT - DOWN & OUT IN PARIS & LONDON NEW CD US $21.93 Buy It Now 4 days
TANGENT - GOING OFF ON ONE - BONUS TRACK NEW CD US $27.29 Buy It Now 4 days
Cross Town Traffique 45 rpm Record ''Tangent Records'' Shadow Woman'' US $14.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Le Sacre du Travail (The Rite of Work) by The Tangent (CD, Jul-2013, Century... US $13.64 Buy It Now 5 days
Comm by The Tangent (CD, Sep-2011, Inside Out Music) US $11.22 Buy It Now 5 days
Le Sacre du Travail (The Rite of Work) by The Tangent (CD, 2013, Inside Out... US $11.20 Buy It Now 5 days
THE TANGENT - DOWN AND OUT IN PARIS AND LONDON [THE TANGENT] - NEW CD US $13.65 Buy It Now 5 days
TRISH CLOWES - TANGENT [DIGIPAK] * - NEW CD US $10.16 Buy It Now 5 days
The Tangent - Le Sacre Du Travail (The Rite Of Work) (NEW LTD CD) US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
THE TANGENT - LE SACRE DU TRAVAIL (THE RITE OF WORK) [5052205065587] - NEW CD US $19.85 Buy It Now 5 days
TANGENT - GOING OFF ON ONE NEW DVD US $24.23 Buy It Now 5 days
TRISH CLOWES - TANGENT NEW CD US $15.83 Buy It Now 5 days
Tangent - Down & Out In Paris & London [CD New] US $14.02 Buy It Now 5 days
A Place in the Queue [Bonus CD] [Digipak] by The Tangent (CD, Jan-2006, 2... US $6.99 [0 bids]
BOBS s/t LP 11 track sleeve has sticker residue (tanlp7014) us tangent 1983 US $14.74 Buy It Now 6 days
The Tangent - Comm US $10.00 Buy It Now 6 days
The Tangent - Le Sacre Du Travail US $10.50 Buy It Now 6 days
The Tangent - Not As Good As The Book (Special Edition) US $20.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Tangent - Tributes & Rarities/Live Over England [CD New] US $14.85 Buy It Now 6 days
EDDIE MENDENHALL - COSINE MEETS TANGENT [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $12.96 Buy It Now 7 days
C.P.E. BACH / SPANYI / TANGENT - COMPLETE KEYBOARD CONCERTOS 9 NEW CD US $28.05 Buy It Now 7 days
FEAR OF A BLACK TANGENT BY BUSDRIVER (CD) US $17.44 Buy It Now 7 days
Tangent - Going Off On One CD US $21.73 Buy It Now 7 days
Orbital Frog-Compiled By Ed Tangent CD US $24.13 Buy It Now 7 days
Tangent - Tributes & Rarities Live Over England CD US $20.65 Buy It Now 7 days
Trish Clowes - Tangent CD US $14.06 Buy It Now 7 days
Mendenhall Eddie - Cosine Meets Tangent CD US $17.97 Buy It Now 7 days
Tangent - Not As Good As The Book W/ Book Spec CD US $35.56 Buy It Now 7 days
Territory Bands - At A Tangent Volume 4 - Various (NEW CD) US $20.69 Buy It Now 7 days
British Traditional Jazz At A Tangent - Vol. 5-British Traditional Jazz [CD New] US $22.05 Buy It Now 7 days
Tangent PO 002 LP Moments US $99.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Craobh Nan Ubhal Flora MacNeil vinyl LP album record UK TGS124 TANGENT 1976 US $54.01 Buy It Now 8 days
Busdriver - Fear Of A Black Tangent - BDCD077 US $17.87 Buy It Now 8 days
CD-EP Tangent Plane - s/t RARE GERMAN PROG METAL INDIE 1996 US $39.99 Buy It Now 8 days
TANGENT-GOING OFF ON ONE-JAPAN 2CDs Ii45 US $58.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Mendenhall,Eddie - Cosine Meets Tangent [CD New] US $15.94 Buy It Now 9 days
Tangent - Tributes & Rarities/Live Over England [Remastered] (2011) US $8.45 [0 bids]
Tangent - Studio Sessions/Shadow Magic [Remastered] (2011) US $8.45 [0 bids]
Cosine Meets Tangent - Eddie Mendenhall New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.73 Buy It Now 9 days
Vol. 1-british Traditional Jazz At a Tangent - British Traditional Jazz At A Tan US $36.45 Buy It Now 9 days
Vol. 5-british Traditional Jazz At a Tangent - British Traditional Jazz At A Tan US $35.20 Buy It Now 9 days
BUSDRIVER - FEAR OF A BLACK TANGENT NEW CD US $27.66 Buy It Now 9 days
Beyond A Shadow Of A Doubt/Chasing Shadows Live - Tangent New & Sealed CD Free S US $24.60 Buy It Now 9 days
Not As Good As the Book (cd & Book) - Tangent New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $39.99 Buy It Now 9 days
TANGENT - TRIBUTES & RARITIES / LIVE OVER ENGLAND NEW CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Le Sacre du Travail (The Rite of Work) by The Tangent (CD, Jul-2013) NEW. US $13.59 Buy It Now 9 days
British Traditional Jazz At A Tangent Vol. 5 - Second Line: [6/2] by Various... US $19.09 Buy It Now 9 days
Fear Of A Black Tangent US $21.42 Buy It Now 10 days
Various Artists - At a Tangent, Vol. 4 (Territory Bands, 2014) US $23.04 Buy It Now 10 days
British Traditional Jazz - At a Tangent - Vol 1 - NEW - CD - Free P US $18.58 Buy It Now 10 days
BRITISH TRADITIONAL JAZZ -AT A TANGENT 2 / VARIOUS NEW CD US $39.89 Buy It Now 10 days
BRITISH TRADITIONAL JAZZ AT A TANGENT 1 / VARIOUS NEW CD US $39.89 Buy It Now 10 days
THE TANGENT - NOT AS GOOD AS THE BOOK [2 CD/BOOK] - NEW CD BOXSET US $26.73 Buy It Now 10 days
SHUSHA - SONG OF LONG-TIME LOVERS , TANGENT 1972 , EX/VG ,LP US $6.68 Buy It Now 11 days
'73 GHANAAN TANGENT LP OBOADE KPANLOGO PARTY drum breaks mustapha tettey addy ? US $20.00 Buy It Now 11 days
Al Fresco - Love In Your Eyes - Tangent - 2001 #424711 US $5.05 Buy It Now 11 days
Busdriver : Fear of a Black Tangent CD (2005) US $5.92 Buy It Now 11 days
ISLA ST CLAIR SINGS TRADITIONAL SCOTTISH SONGS ORIGINAL UK TANGENT TGS 112 US $19.99 Buy It Now 11 days

More places to buy THE TANGENT music online Buy THE TANGENT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE TANGENT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE TANGENT Going Off On One ratings distribution

THE TANGENT Going Off On One reviews

Review by Gatot
5 stars The Tangent has always been in my point of observation because since their debut album "The Music That Died Alone", I found the kind of music that I really love very much. It's the kind of jazz blended beautifully with rock and delivered in Canterbury style in energetic beat on some of their tracks. I then followed their second album "The World That We Drive through" which was an excellent album even though not as strong as the debut. On their third release "A Place In The Queue" they really satisfied me in terms of the music quality they produce. I feel that I find the sounds of Return to Forever combined with Hatfield and The North or Egg or National Health. I do admire the band's musical talent especially to Andy Tillison, Guy Manning, Jonas Reingold, David Jackson . they are all great names in modern prog. Unfortunately David Jackson left the band before second album was released. But it's still OK, The Tangent is (and will be) a solid band.

My experience with their live albums started when I had "Pyramid and Stars" album and it's really an excellent album. With three studio and one live album, a DVD release is definitely required for their fans base. "Going Off On One" was originally released in a limited edition DVD including double audio CD. As I could not afford the limited edition, I got the audio CD only. The set was recorded in September 2006 at the Club Riga. The seven pieces from the "A Place In The Queue" are all present and great. A am really impressed by the performance of the band.

It starts with the sound of crowd that indicates there was not a lot of people attended the venue and I presume that club is quite a small one. "GPS Culture" blasts the music off energetically with pulsating organ sounds combined with guitar work make the music is rich in textures. Oh yeah . you might love how the organ is played at the back. Awesome! The intertwining work of organ and guitar is truly stunning; especially when it's combined with silent part using flutes as interjecting sounds. Oh man . this is really cool ..!!! Bravo Theo Travis who plays flute brilliantly!

"The Winning Game" is the kind of Canterbury / jazz music. But look, observe how the music flows; listen how the singing by Andy Tillison is performed. You might agree with me a heavy influence of psychedelic right here. It's really unique and accessible to my personal taste. This is a well structured composition and performed skillfully by each member of the band. This live version is much more dynamic than the "The World We Drive Through" album version.

It then moves to a great jazzy piano and heavy vocal section in "In Earnest" (opening track of "A Place In The Queue" album) which is performed longer than the studio version. You might be wondering that this long duration track will get you bored - it's not at all. It's terrific! There are multitudes of styles and tempo changes with great textures of organ / keyboard sounds and solos, plus powerful vocal line. You might compare that this live version has much power than the studio one. The music sometimes turns complex with all instruments play difficult chords with some solos: piano, guitar and keyboards. Oh yes, if you love Canterbury, this track is definitely yours. No doubt. I can sense sometime the music resembles a style of Brian Auger but also a bit of ELP. Krister Jonsson who plays electric guitars also demonstrates his solo stunningly in the vein of classic rock music. It's an awesome song with great composition and structure. I know the track is long but I always repeat the track whenever I listen to it, especially with this live version!

It's not my intention to review on track by track basis as every track is performed excellently by the band. But I just wanna say that .

.the cover of King Crimson's 21st Century of Schizoid Man is FABULOUS!

Well, yeah . you might have been tired listening to all tracks of CD one and most part of CD2 (I don't!) but, bear with me . you will be astonished by their performance of this legendary King Crimson's song! Awesome! Especially if you listen to this track from the passage where Theo Travis has a conversation with the band introducing members of the band. I believe the crowd had never expected that The Tangent would do this. It's a kind of surprise, really! And it serves like an adrenaline exploder! To tell you the truth I just can't explain how wonderful the band plays this. Theo Travis's sax work is great, Andy Tillison's organ sound is so vintage and powerful .. and .. well yeah .. the "distorted" vocal line (by Andy Tillison?) is truly great! When the music enters the interlude part, you will be stunned! (in my local term: nggeblak! really..). Oh man, this is really great to conclude this track. BTW, Jonas Reingold bass playing here is really terrific! He is one of best bass players in modern prog! Bravo Jonas!

But .. the journey hasn't finished yet as it still has one more cover: America! Oh my God .this has gone beyond the version of The Nice and the band makes so many improvisations with all players in the band play their instruments during interlude part. Jamie Salazar performs his great dynamic drumming. This is really a great encore for the show! Oh man .. I have to buy the DVD! I watched You Tube for one track "Lost In London" and have decided to purchase the DVD.

Conclusion: MASTERPIECE!

I really consider this live album as a masterpiece progressive music live performance. The band performs their music (and the covers) brilliantly with practically no flaw at all. Or, if there is a flaw, I can not capture it. If you enjoy Canterbury meets jazz rock, this will really satisfy you to the bone. I have been spinning this album many times and I still want to do it again. Highly recommended. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#177183) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 18, 2008

4 stars I'm such a fan of this band. I guess it all started with PARALLEL OR 90 DEGREES a band that I fell for which really turned into THE TANGENT later on with most of the same musicians.That Tillison / Manning combo is incredible, then add the second keyboardist in Sam Baine as well as THE FLOWER KINGS alumni in Salazar and Reingold. Stolt / Csorsz are in on the last bonus track. Also we get Theo Travis and guitarist Krister Jonsson (KARMAKANIC) and well that's quite a lot of talent isn't it ? Andy relates in the liner notes how awesome it was to play at Rosfest that year.They were treated like kings and the 600 some people loved them. Fast forward to the UK and a little venue called Club Riga where 60 people showed up and whatever could go wrong did go wrong.Two shows that were the polar opposite of one another. In fact Andy told his manager he could forget about releasing this live album because he hated everything about that concert in the UK.That is until he actually heard it and realized the band played their best ever concert. Shocking yes but the audio doesn't lie so here it is.The first three bonus tracks are from the Rosfest concert with the last bonus track coming from a Germany concert.The rest is from Club Riga.This is a two disc affair. I like that even though this is the "A Place In The Queue" tour we get an even amount of material from the first three albums.

"GPS Culture" opens with some attention getting organ work followed by a powerful section then vocals. I love the instrumental section that starts before 3 1/2 minutes. Nice in your face bass before 7 1/2 minutes and I like the vocal melodies too. Sax later. "The Winning Game" sounds amazing once it settles in. More prominant bass as well as the sax at times. Some emotion after 9 minutes followed by a guitar solo.

"In Earnest" really touched me lyrically like never before. Kind of like "Home By The Sea" but more complex. A killer 22 minute ride. I like when Guy sings at one point. "Forsaken Cathedrals" was a bonus track on the "A Place In The Queue" record.The focus is on the instrumental work and it's incredible.

"The Music That Died Alone" opens with flute and piano as the mellow vocals join in. It picks up after 3 minutes. A calm before 7 1/2 minutes.Great song ! "Lost In London" is a favourite of mine and they do it justice.

Disc two begins with "In Darkest Dreams (Part 1) but we also get "In Darkest Dreams (Part 2)" after the next song so this is around 22 minutes in total.The intro is so good ! It blend into "After Rubycon" which I don't know but it's a spacey TANGERINE DREAM (obviously) link to part 2 of the opening song here. Manning sings early on this one and we get some nasty organ before 3 minutes. "The World We Drive Through" is another fantastic song.They just keep on coming folks.

I like the flute on the next song "Skipping The Distance" which is a catchy number.The next track is called "Audience Fun" and i'm glad they kept this in. I didn't know Andy was so funny. "21st Century Schizoid Man" is an amazing cover. So well done. Bravo guys ! "America" ends it with Stolt and Csorsz on board. Love the intro.

This was simply a pleasure to listen to last week and it reminds me why I hold this band in such high esteem.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#501698) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 11, 2011

Post a review of THE TANGENT "Going Off On One"