GOING OFF ON ONE

- Krister Jonsson / guitar
- Sam Baine / vocals, keyboards
- Theo Travis / saxophone, flute

Inside Out, 2007

Thanks to gatot for the addition

THE TANGENT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE TANGENT Going Off On One Music

The World That We Drive ThroughThe World That We Drive Through
Special Edition
Inside Out U.S. 2004
EX MACHINA TANGENT - NEW CD US $16.29 Buy It Now 1h 50m
'Ethiopa: Vol 1 Music of Central HIghlands' Tangent Mono TGM 101 NM+ Shrink UK US $35.00 Buy It Now 6h 53m
'Ethiopa: Vol 3 Music of Eritrea' Tangent Mono TGM 103 NM+ Shrink UK US $35.00 Buy It Now 7h 32m
OBOADE kpanlogo party LP 2 track/sides stereo (tgs115) uk tangent 1973 US $14.89 Buy It Now 10h 8m
TERRITORY BANDS -AT A TANGENT 4 / VARIOUS (UK) NEW CD US $38.88 Buy It Now 13h 57m
[LP] Mustapha Tettey Addy,Master Drummer From Ghana (Tangent) UK US $15.92 Buy It Now 20h 28m
Out Of The Limelight - At Tangent volume 3 US $19.12 Buy It Now 21h 29m
TANGENT - LE SACRE DU TRAVAIL NEW CD US $20.59 Buy It Now 23h 6m
Busdriver - Fear of a Black Tangent (2005) US $8.05 [0 bids]
Tangent - Tributes & Rarities/Live Over England (2011) 2CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $10.09 Buy It Now 1 day
TANGENT - LE SACRE DU TRAVAIL NEW CD US $25.97 Buy It Now 1 day
(DE527) Busdriver, Fear Of A Black Tangent - DJ CD US $9.82 Buy It Now 1 day
EDDIE MENDENHALL - COSINE MEETS TANGENT NEW CD US $20.94 Buy It Now 1 day
TANGENT - COMM NEW CD US $20.59 Buy It Now 2 days
TANGENT - NOT AS GOOD AS THE BOOK (W/BOOK) (SPECIAL) NEW CD US $40.69 Buy It Now 2 days
PHIL TANGENT/PENNYGILES We Don't Talk Anymore 12" NEW VINYL IM:Ltd Es.tereo US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE TANGENT - THE II: THE WORLD THAT WE DRIVE THROUGH [LIMITED] - NEW CD US $16.88 Buy It Now 2 days
THE TANGENT - THE II: THE WORLD THAT WE DRIVE THROUGH - NEW CD US $16.23 Buy It Now 2 days
EX/EX !! Shusha/Persian Love Songs & Mystic Chants/1971 Tangent LP US $35.42 Buy It Now 3 days
VARIOUS - Tangent 2002: Disco Nouveau 3- ELECTRO 12" Ghostly International ADULT US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Le Sacre Du Travail (The Rite Of Work) The Tangent Audio CD US $18.14 Buy It Now 3 days
TRISH CLOWES - TANGENT NEW CD US $14.86 Buy It Now 3 days
Delio: Though, on; As though; Dashow: Songs from a Spiral Tree; First Tangent... US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
AT A TANGENT VOL.2 - VARIOUS - LACD317 US $19.03 Buy It Now 4 days
Stanley Jordan-AUTOGRAPHED-Touch Sensitive-Tangent 1001-PRIVATE US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
VARIOUS - AT A TANGENT VOL. 5 - LACD328 US $18.61 Buy It Now 4 days
Fear of a Black Tangent by Busdriver *New CD* US $8.47 Buy It Now 4 days
Cosine Meets Tangent - Eddie Mendenhall New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $19.73 Buy It Now 4 days
AT A TANGENT, VOL. 4: TERRITORY BANDS - NEW CD US $15.08 Buy It Now 4 days
THE TANGENT**COMM (SPECIAL EDITION/BONUS TRACKS)**CD US $15.18 Buy It Now 4 days
The Tangent 'Not As Good As The Book' CD Promo US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
THE TANGENT - COMM - NEW CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Jimmy Giuffre : Jimmy Giuffre: Four Classic Albums Plus (Jimmy Giuffre / Tangent US $9.56 Buy It Now 4 days
Disco Nouveau Tangent 2002 12" vinyl US $6.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Tangent - Studio Sessions/Shadow Magic CD US $21.06 Buy It Now 4 days
CLOWES TRISH - TANGENT - SRCD332 US $18.96 Buy It Now 5 days
TANGENT - 1mk2 - CD US $18.03 Buy It Now 5 days
Tangent Live Over England CD *SEALED* Shadows Tribute Jet Harris Alan Jones US $12.99 Buy It Now 5 days
TANGENT - Le Sacre Du Travail US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Tangent - Comm [CD New] US $14.29 Buy It Now 5 days
TANGENT - TRANSIENCE [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $14.03 Buy It Now 5 days
TANGENT - BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT/CHASING SHADOWS LIVE + - NEW CD BOXSET US $10.15 Buy It Now 5 days
Tangent - Not As Good As The Book [CD New] US $24.53 Buy It Now 5 days
Going Off On One by The Tangent (CD, Jun-2007, 2 Discs, Inside Out Music) US $12.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Various Artists, Tangent 2002: Disco Nouveau Audio CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 5 days
British Traditional Jazz At A Tangent Vol. 5 - Various (NEW CD) US $20.11 Buy It Now 5 days
The Tangent - Le Sacre Du Travail (the Rite Of Work) NEW CD US $11.28 Buy It Now 5 days
Tangent - Beyond A Shadow Of A Doubt/Chasing Shadows Live CD US $21.06 Buy It Now 5 days
Tangent - Le Sacre Du Travail (The Rite Of Work) CD US $22.86 Buy It Now 6 days
Tangent Plane - Project Elimi CD US $16.68 Buy It Now 6 days
Tangent - Comm CD US $18.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Tangent - Le Sacre Du Travail CD US $17.62 Buy It Now 6 days
VARIOUS - Tangent 2002: Disco Nouveau - ELECTRO 12" US $11.99 Buy It Now 6 days
BUSDRIVER - FEAR OF A BLACK TANGENT CD ENGLAND Mint #29 US $6.98 Buy It Now 6 days
Scottish Tradition 2 Music From Western Isles LP Tangent TNGM 110 (1975) UK NM US $24.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Trailer Park by Beth Orton (CD, Apr-1997, Dedicated) Chemical Brothers Tangent US $2.99 [0 bids]
Tangent Live Over England CD *SEALED* Shadows Tribute Jet Harris US $4.99 Buy It Now 6 days
TNGM 109: BOTHY BALLADS: MUSIC FROM THE N. E.: 1971 TANGENT LP: VG+ / NM US $27.35 Buy It Now 6 days
X MARKS THE SPOT VOL.2 CD Tangent Beats NEW Sealed US $19.49 Buy It Now 7 days
TANGENT-NOT AS GOOD AS THE BOOK CD NEW US $20.88 Buy It Now 7 days
Stanley Jordan, Touch Sensitive, Tangent 1001, RARE private label debut LP, 1982 US $34.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Busdriver - Fear Of A Black Tangent NEW CD US $16.60 Buy It Now 7 days
TANGENT World That We Drive Through CD Progressive Rock 2004 NEW Flower Kings US $8.99 Buy It Now 7 days
STANLEY JORDAN - TOUCH SENSITIVE LP ON TANGENT 1001 US $35.00 Buy It Now 7 days
ORBITAL FROG: COMPILED BY ED TANGENT / VARIOUS NEW CD US $27.40 Buy It Now 7 days
Mood Deluxe - Tangent Universe UK CD US $21.59 Buy It Now 7 days
Busdriver - Fear Of A Black Tangent CD US $22.86 Buy It Now 7 days
GUY MANNING A Matter Of Life-Death CD 2004 PROG Tangent SEALED US $13.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Busdriver - Fear of a black tangent - CD [NEW] US $7.23 Buy It Now 7 days
THE TANGENT - LE SACRE DU TRAVAIL (THE RITE OF WORK) [885417065527] - NEW CD US $11.19 Buy It Now 7 days
TANGENT - ATLANTICA 7" VINYL US $12.06 Buy It Now 7 days
The Tangent - Le Sacre Du Travail (The Rite Of Work) - 506558 US $18.67 Buy It Now 8 days
Tangent - Not As Good As The Book [CD New] US $17.75 Buy It Now 8 days
TANGENT - NOT AS GOOD AS THE BOOK NEW CD US $25.62 Buy It Now 8 days
TANGENT-GOING OFF ON ONE-JAPAN 2CDs Ii45 US $58.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Orbital Frog-Compiled By Ed Tangent [CD New] US $23.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Karney * by Karney (CD, Aug-2002, Tangent Records) US $3.99 Buy It Now 9 days
ANNA LOCKWOOD glass world of LP 23 track (tgs104) uk tangent 1970 US $32.70 Buy It Now 9 days
Spontaneous Music Ensemble THE SOURCE Trevor Watts Original 1970 Tangent 107lp US $95.00 Buy It Now 9 days
The Tangent : A Place In The Queue Ltd Ed w/Bonus CD (2CDs) (2006) US $7.50 Buy It Now 9 days
ARE WE NOT MEN-Demo-ROCKBOY-Tangent-THORNS-Gospel-Cd's US $7.99 Buy It Now 9 days
THE TANGENT - V DOWN AND OUT IN PARIS AND LONDON - NEW CD - RARE !!! SEALED US $8.99 Buy It Now 9 days
retro magazine advert 1980 TANGENT SYSTEMS US $8.03 Buy It Now 9 days
Le Sacre Du Travail (the Rite of Work) - Tangent New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free US $26.47 Buy It Now 10 days
BUSDRIVER 'FEAR OF A BLACK TANGENT' US LP BRAND NEW UNPLAYED DISTRIBUTOR STOCK US $12.86 Buy It Now 10 days
Busdriver - Fear Of A Black Tangent (NEW CD) US $18.09 Buy It Now 10 days
Fear Of A Black Tangent 0663405123523, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $19.98 Buy It Now 10 days
The Zig-Zags 45 rpm Record ''Tangent Records'' Show Me Your Hand'' US $7.99 Buy It Now 10 days
British Traditional Jazz At A Tangent - Vol. 1-British Traditional Jazz [CD New] US $20.00 Buy It Now 10 days
British Traditional Jazz-At A Tangent - Vol. 2-British Traditional Jazz [CD New] US $20.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Mood Deluxe - Tangent Universe [CD New] US $20.99 Buy It Now 10 days
TANGENT**SACRE DU TRAVAIL: AN ELECTRIC SINFONIA BY ANDY TILLISON**CD US $15.95 Buy It Now 10 days
MUCKLE SANGS Scottish Tradition Series Vol 5 2-LP Tangent TNGM 119 (1975) UK NM US $34.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Tangent - Not As Good As The Book CD US $21.73 Buy It Now 10 days
Busdriver - Fear Of A Black Tangent CD US $14.73 Buy It Now 10 days
Trish Clowes - Tangent CD US $14.06 Buy It Now 10 days
Tangent - Studio Sessions/Shadow Magic [CD New] US $13.46 Buy It Now 10 days
Tangent - World That We Drive Through [CD New] US $21.39 Buy It Now 10 days
GUY MANNING Akoustik (Festival Music 201210) CD; Neo-Prog Rock ...The Tangent US $16.08 Buy It Now 11 days
GUY MANNING Akoustik #2 (Festival Music 201408) CD; Neo-Prog Rock ...The Tangent US $16.08 Buy It Now 11 days

More places to buy THE TANGENT music online Buy THE TANGENT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE TANGENT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE TANGENT Going Off On One ratings distribution

THE TANGENT Going Off On One reviews

Review by Gatot
5 stars The Tangent has always been in my point of observation because since their debut album "The Music That Died Alone", I found the kind of music that I really love very much. It's the kind of jazz blended beautifully with rock and delivered in Canterbury style in energetic beat on some of their tracks. I then followed their second album "The World That We Drive through" which was an excellent album even though not as strong as the debut. On their third release "A Place In The Queue" they really satisfied me in terms of the music quality they produce. I feel that I find the sounds of Return to Forever combined with Hatfield and The North or Egg or National Health. I do admire the band's musical talent especially to Andy Tillison, Guy Manning, Jonas Reingold, David Jackson . they are all great names in modern prog. Unfortunately David Jackson left the band before second album was released. But it's still OK, The Tangent is (and will be) a solid band.

My experience with their live albums started when I had "Pyramid and Stars" album and it's really an excellent album. With three studio and one live album, a DVD release is definitely required for their fans base. "Going Off On One" was originally released in a limited edition DVD including double audio CD. As I could not afford the limited edition, I got the audio CD only. The set was recorded in September 2006 at the Club Riga. The seven pieces from the "A Place In The Queue" are all present and great. A am really impressed by the performance of the band.

It starts with the sound of crowd that indicates there was not a lot of people attended the venue and I presume that club is quite a small one. "GPS Culture" blasts the music off energetically with pulsating organ sounds combined with guitar work make the music is rich in textures. Oh yeah . you might love how the organ is played at the back. Awesome! The intertwining work of organ and guitar is truly stunning; especially when it's combined with silent part using flutes as interjecting sounds. Oh man . this is really cool ..!!! Bravo Theo Travis who plays flute brilliantly!

"The Winning Game" is the kind of Canterbury / jazz music. But look, observe how the music flows; listen how the singing by Andy Tillison is performed. You might agree with me a heavy influence of psychedelic right here. It's really unique and accessible to my personal taste. This is a well structured composition and performed skillfully by each member of the band. This live version is much more dynamic than the "The World We Drive Through" album version.

It then moves to a great jazzy piano and heavy vocal section in "In Earnest" (opening track of "A Place In The Queue" album) which is performed longer than the studio version. You might be wondering that this long duration track will get you bored - it's not at all. It's terrific! There are multitudes of styles and tempo changes with great textures of organ / keyboard sounds and solos, plus powerful vocal line. You might compare that this live version has much power than the studio one. The music sometimes turns complex with all instruments play difficult chords with some solos: piano, guitar and keyboards. Oh yes, if you love Canterbury, this track is definitely yours. No doubt. I can sense sometime the music resembles a style of Brian Auger but also a bit of ELP. Krister Jonsson who plays electric guitars also demonstrates his solo stunningly in the vein of classic rock music. It's an awesome song with great composition and structure. I know the track is long but I always repeat the track whenever I listen to it, especially with this live version!

It's not my intention to review on track by track basis as every track is performed excellently by the band. But I just wanna say that .

.the cover of King Crimson's 21st Century of Schizoid Man is FABULOUS!

Well, yeah . you might have been tired listening to all tracks of CD one and most part of CD2 (I don't!) but, bear with me . you will be astonished by their performance of this legendary King Crimson's song! Awesome! Especially if you listen to this track from the passage where Theo Travis has a conversation with the band introducing members of the band. I believe the crowd had never expected that The Tangent would do this. It's a kind of surprise, really! And it serves like an adrenaline exploder! To tell you the truth I just can't explain how wonderful the band plays this. Theo Travis's sax work is great, Andy Tillison's organ sound is so vintage and powerful .. and .. well yeah .. the "distorted" vocal line (by Andy Tillison?) is truly great! When the music enters the interlude part, you will be stunned! (in my local term: nggeblak! really..). Oh man, this is really great to conclude this track. BTW, Jonas Reingold bass playing here is really terrific! He is one of best bass players in modern prog! Bravo Jonas!

But .. the journey hasn't finished yet as it still has one more cover: America! Oh my God .this has gone beyond the version of The Nice and the band makes so many improvisations with all players in the band play their instruments during interlude part. Jamie Salazar performs his great dynamic drumming. This is really a great encore for the show! Oh man .. I have to buy the DVD! I watched You Tube for one track "Lost In London" and have decided to purchase the DVD.

Conclusion: MASTERPIECE!

I really consider this live album as a masterpiece progressive music live performance. The band performs their music (and the covers) brilliantly with practically no flaw at all. Or, if there is a flaw, I can not capture it. If you enjoy Canterbury meets jazz rock, this will really satisfy you to the bone. I have been spinning this album many times and I still want to do it again. Highly recommended. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#177183) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 18, 2008

4 stars I'm such a fan of this band. I guess it all started with PARALLEL OR 90 DEGREES a band that I fell for which really turned into THE TANGENT later on with most of the same musicians.That Tillison / Manning combo is incredible, then add the second keyboardist in Sam Baine as well as THE FLOWER KINGS alumni in Salazar and Reingold. Stolt / Csorsz are in on the last bonus track. Also we get Theo Travis and guitarist Krister Jonsson (KARMAKANIC) and well that's quite a lot of talent isn't it ? Andy relates in the liner notes how awesome it was to play at Rosfest that year.They were treated like kings and the 600 some people loved them. Fast forward to the UK and a little venue called Club Riga where 60 people showed up and whatever could go wrong did go wrong.Two shows that were the polar opposite of one another. In fact Andy told his manager he could forget about releasing this live album because he hated everything about that concert in the UK.That is until he actually heard it and realized the band played their best ever concert. Shocking yes but the audio doesn't lie so here it is.The first three bonus tracks are from the Rosfest concert with the last bonus track coming from a Germany concert.The rest is from Club Riga.This is a two disc affair. I like that even though this is the "A Place In The Queue" tour we get an even amount of material from the first three albums.

"GPS Culture" opens with some attention getting organ work followed by a powerful section then vocals. I love the instrumental section that starts before 3 1/2 minutes. Nice in your face bass before 7 1/2 minutes and I like the vocal melodies too. Sax later. "The Winning Game" sounds amazing once it settles in. More prominant bass as well as the sax at times. Some emotion after 9 minutes followed by a guitar solo.

"In Earnest" really touched me lyrically like never before. Kind of like "Home By The Sea" but more complex. A killer 22 minute ride. I like when Guy sings at one point. "Forsaken Cathedrals" was a bonus track on the "A Place In The Queue" record.The focus is on the instrumental work and it's incredible.

"The Music That Died Alone" opens with flute and piano as the mellow vocals join in. It picks up after 3 minutes. A calm before 7 1/2 minutes.Great song ! "Lost In London" is a favourite of mine and they do it justice.

Disc two begins with "In Darkest Dreams (Part 1) but we also get "In Darkest Dreams (Part 2)" after the next song so this is around 22 minutes in total.The intro is so good ! It blend into "After Rubycon" which I don't know but it's a spacey TANGERINE DREAM (obviously) link to part 2 of the opening song here. Manning sings early on this one and we get some nasty organ before 3 minutes. "The World We Drive Through" is another fantastic song.They just keep on coming folks.

I like the flute on the next song "Skipping The Distance" which is a catchy number.The next track is called "Audience Fun" and i'm glad they kept this in. I didn't know Andy was so funny. "21st Century Schizoid Man" is an amazing cover. So well done. Bravo guys ! "America" ends it with Stolt and Csorsz on board. Love the intro.

This was simply a pleasure to listen to last week and it reminds me why I hold this band in such high esteem.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#501698) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 11, 2011

Post a review of THE TANGENT "Going Off On One"