PRETZEL LOGIC

* Jim Gordon - drums
* Jeff Porcaro - drums

1974 ABC Records
1999 MCA

Thanks to micky for the addition

STEELY DAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STEELY DAN Pretzel Logic Music

STEELY DAN-2 LP'S-VINYL-AJA-GF-1ST PRESS-THE ROYAL SCAM-RARE! US $9.99 [0 bids]
30m 43s
Katy Lied by Steely Dan (CD, Dec-1987, MCA Records) US $2.99 [0 bids]
44m 59s
Steely Dan Countdown To Ecstasy (Uk Mid Price) CD NEW (UK Import) US $8.45 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Steely Dan Katy Lied MCA37043 Vintage Vinyl album 1975 12" US $4.99 [0 bids]
Steely Dan . GAUCHO . MCA 16009 Audiophile 1/2 speed mastered + FREE LP eBook US $84.98 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Steely Dan Gaucho 1980 MCA-6102 US $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly Japan Promo Vinyl LP w/OBI White Label Steely Dan US $79.99 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Steely Dan The Royal Scam CD NEW (UK Import) US $9.08 Buy It Now 3h 20m
STEELY DAN-GAUCHO-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 4h 19m
STEELY DAN - ROYAL SCAM NEW CD US $9.39 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Steely Dan Gaucho (Uk Mid Price) CD NEW (UK Import) US $8.45 Buy It Now 5h 14m
STEELY DAN - AJA NEW CD US $9.39 Buy It Now 5h 36m
Stevie Ray Vaughan's Coast to Coast and Steely Dan's Aja Vinyl Albums US $20.00 [0 bids]
NAVASOTA Rootin 1972 ABC STEREO WLP LP NM Steely Dan/Flo & Eddie US $49.99 Buy It Now 6h 28m
STEELY DAN - DEFINITIVE COLLECTION NEW CD US $17.11 Buy It Now 6h 56m
Steely Dan - Greatest Hits 1972-78 [CD New] US $9.48 Buy It Now 6h 56m
CD: Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz - Steely Dan/McPartland - Sealed US $17.30 Buy It Now 7h 18m
Steely Dan - Katy Lied CD US $9.50 Buy It Now 7h 25m
Steely Dan - Countdown To Ecstacy CD US $9.50 Buy It Now 7h 26m
Steely Dan - Aja CD UMGD/MCA US $9.50 Buy It Now 7h 26m
Steely Dan - Two Against Nature CD US $17.98 Buy It Now 7h 33m
Steely Dan - Alive In America CD WARNER US $27.00 Buy It Now 7h 43m
STEELY DAN "AJA" ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING CD MOBILE FIDELITY MOFI MFSL US $329.99 Buy It Now 7h 51m
Steely Dan Aja Rare Record Club Press, STEAM CLEANED, 1st Press Stamper US $20.80 Buy It Now 7h 54m
Steely Dan Can't Buy a Thrill 1980 MCA Re-Issue Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED, EXC US $17.60 Buy It Now 7h 54m
Two Against Nature by Steely Dan (CD, Feb-2000) US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 57m
Steely Dan - Definitive Collection CD US $14.46 Buy It Now 7h 58m
STEELY DAN GAUCHO JAZZ ROCK EX+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 16m
STEELY DAN two against nature RARE PANORAMA 2 disc VIDEO CD 70056 C! US $64.49 Buy It Now 8h 18m
Steely Dan Josie & Black Cow ABC 45 AB-12404 1977 US $1.99 Buy It Now 8h 36m
STEELY DAN - CAN'T BUY A THRILL NEW CD US $9.39 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Steely Dan My Old School / Pearl Of The Quarter - King Of The World 33 1/3 EP NM US $22.00 Buy It Now 8h 59m
Gold : Expanded Edition Steely Dan Audio CD US $3.99 Buy It Now 9h 14m
STEELY DAN reelin' in the years CD 18 track double (mcldd19147) uk mca 0 US $13.89 Buy It Now 9h 19m
ROCK LOT[ THE BEATLES (SEALED)*THE MONKEES*STEELY DAN*MEN AT WORK] FREE SHIP US $37.00 Buy It Now 9h 28m
NEW - Brooklyn by Steely Dan US $3.20 Buy It Now 10h 16m
STEELY DAN - GREATEST HITS - MCA - MCDL 608 US $5.09 [0 bids]
STEELY DAN - PRETZEL LOGIC - ABC - ABCL 5045 US $5.09 [0 bids]
Steely Dan - Aja ( 1977 - ABC - Gatefold ) US $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 26m
MINK DEVILLE STEELY DAN New Musical Express 13th August 1977 N.M.E. US $6.77 Buy It Now 10h 45m
The Royal Scam by Steely Dan (CD) mcad-31193 US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 52m
STEELY DAN Pretzel Logic CD Japan 11 tracks MCA 20P2-2109 obi US $9.99 [1 bids]
DONALD FAGEN - Audiophile GOLD Disc PROMO CD Steely Dan Rare Remaster Kamakiriad US $134.85 Buy It Now 10h 57m
Steely Dan Greatest Hits 1978 ABC AK-1107/2 Gatefold Double LP 1st Press EX/VG+ US $10.95 [0 bids]
STEELY DAN greatest hits 2 LP VG+ AK-1107/2 RL Ludwig Masterdisk 1978 US $38.40 Buy It Now 11h 16m
Steely Dan Aja MCA MCAD-37214 US $0.99 [0 bids]
KITTYHAWK Ph D Cassette 6772 Vintage 747 steely dan HORN ROCK jazz fusion SOUL US $8.00 [0 bids]
Steely Dan Katy Lied Classic Vinyl Record Album US $6.95 [0 bids]
Citizen STEELY DAN (1972-1980) BOX SET 4 CD'S photo book US $20.00 [0 bids]
STEELY DAN gaucho RL ROBERT BOB LUDWIG hot stamper mastering MASTERDISK VG+ US $9.99 [0 bids]
THE ROYAL SCAM by Steely Dan 12" Vinyl Record (1976) US $12.99 [0 bids]
STEELY DAN - A Decade of Steely Dan US $3.89 Buy It Now 11h 48m
Steely Dan Android Warehouse CD 2 Discs Collectors Edit US $25.00 Buy It Now 12h 12m
Steely Dan PROMO CD Cousin Dupree US $4.99 [0 bids]
Steely Dan PROMO CD What a Shame About Me US $4.99 [0 bids]
Steely Dan PROMO CD Janie Runaway US $4.99 [1 bids]
STEELY DAN Peg 1992 GERMANY CD single US $29.75 Buy It Now 12h 36m
STEELY DAN ? AJA ?1977 NM STUNNING ARCHIVAL TOPCOPY AA-1006 PEG ? DEACON BLUES US $56.00 Buy It Now 12h 40m
Steely Dan - Very Best Of Steely Dan [CD New] US $14.78 Buy It Now 12h 54m
STEELY DAN - GREATEST HITS - VG++ ABC DOUBLE RECORD 1978 US $12.00 Buy It Now 13h 16m
STEELY DAN-GAUCHO-JAPAN MINI LP PLATINUM SHM-CD I50 US $42.50 Buy It Now 13h 19m
STEELY DAN GREATEST HITS 33 rpm vinyl record MCA 2-6008 VG+ US $2.99 [0 bids]
STEELY DAN ? GAUCHO ?1980 NM STUNNING MASTERDISK RL ARCHIVAL TOPCOPY MCA-6102 US $56.00 Buy It Now 13h 24m
The Royal Scam [Remaster] by Steely Dan (CD, Nov-1999, MCA (USA)) US $3.25 [2 bids]
Steely Dan vinyl LP album record The Royal Scam UK ABCL5161 ABC 1976 US $5.95 Buy It Now 13h 34m
6 CD'S FROM STEELY DAN .........NO SMUDGES ...NO SCRATCHES....VERY NICE US $27.99 [0 bids]
STEELY DAN PEG ABC RECORDS PROMO 12320 MONO/STEREO 1977 NRMT US $3.99 [0 bids]
PRETZEL LOGIC by Steely Dan US $12.99 [0 bids]
14h
KATY LIED by Steely Dan 12" Vinyl Record US $9.99 [0 bids]
14h
Steely Dan - aja - Sealed Mobile Fidelity Half-Speed Mastered Limited Edition US $299.00 Buy It Now 14h 14m
Steely Dan Cant Buy A Thrill Vinyl Record LP 1972 ABCX758 US $9.99 Buy It Now 14h 21m
A Decade of Steely Dan by Steely Dan (CD, May-1985, MCA (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
STEELY DAN - THE ROYAL SCAM , ABC 1976 , VG/VG ,LP US $8.40 Buy It Now 14h 55m
Steely dan can't buy a thrill platinum plus edition ( Mca 1972 ) US $3.98 [0 bids]
STEELY DAN-AJA 1977 ABC RECORDS GATEFOLD LP AA-1006 VG++ DEACON BLUES, BLACK COW US $11.99 Buy It Now 15h 35m
STEELY DAN, FM (NO STATIC AT ALL) / REPRISE. ORIGINAL 1978 MCA SINGLE US $1.68 [0 bids]
Steely Dan - Katy Lied on ABC Recprds MFSL 1-007 Original Master Recording US $99.99 Buy It Now 16h 6m
STEELY DAN - CAN'T BUY A THRILL * 1972 MCA RECORDS US $9.99 Buy It Now 16h 19m
Donald Fagenof Steely Dan LP MFSL 1-120 Original Master Recording 1982 US $125.00 Buy It Now 16h 33m
STEELY DAN "NM WAX" Royal Scam YX-8028-AB LP Ab8635 US $7.99 [0 bids]
Gold - Steely Dan (Expanded Edition Cassette 1991, MCA) NM US $8.49 Buy It Now 16h 50m
8-Track Tape STEELY DAN Pretzel Logic rock 1974 ABC Dunhill US $21.78 Buy It Now 16h 55m
STEELY DAN CAN'T BUY A THRILL COLORED GOLD VINYL LP LIMITED ED CANADA UNPLAYED US $40.00 [0 bids]
STEELY DAN PRETZEL LOGIC GATEFOLD COVER LP 892 US $8.99 Buy It Now 17h 5m
Steely Dan, Aja Audio CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 17h 50m
Steely Dan The Royal Scam ABCD931 VG US $14.97 Buy It Now 17h 58m
Steely Dan The Royal Scam ABCD 931 US $9.97 Buy It Now 18h
STEELY DAN - GAUCHO - MCA - MCF 3090 US $5.09 [0 bids]
STEELY DAN Pretzel Logic CD BRAND NEW US $13.26 Buy It Now 18h 34m
Steely Dan Jack of Speed (cd promo/2 version) Giant 100158 US $8.50 Buy It Now 18h 36m
Steely Dan LP's Lot Of 3 US $6.00 [1 bids]
Steely Dan Katy Lied CD NEW (UK Import) US $8.45 Buy It Now 18h 54m

More places to buy STEELY DAN music online Buy STEELY DAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STEELY DAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STEELY DAN Pretzel Logic ratings distribution

STEELY DAN Pretzel Logic reviews

Review by Chicapah
3 stars In 1974 Steely Dan released "Pretzel Logic," their third album. It raced straight up the charts like a fairground skyrocket to peak at #8 and it seemed like the whole music community stood back en masse to ooh and ahh over it. I, frankly, thought it was okay but less than overwhelming. Considering the avalanche of momentum they had generated with the raw energy captured on "Countdown to Ecstasy" I expected to be blown away. I most assuredly didn't expect a breezy, laidback stroll along the shoreline of Hermosa Beach. I now know that co-leaders Donald Fagen and Walter Becker detested playing concerts to the point where they'd rather go hungry than tour while the other band members didn't share their starving bohemian aspirations. I also know that the constant pressure from the label fat cats to deliver another hot, steaming bowl of revenue-cultivating Top 40 hit singles along the lines of "Reeling in the Years" must have been maddening but there's barely over half an hour of music to digest here! It's almost as if their motto for this album was "shorter songs, less progressive instrumentation." While there's not a sour or misplaced note to be found it was evident to my ears that something was amiss in Danland.

Fagen and Becker are perfectionists. Nothing wrong with that at all. It comes in pretty handy inside the recording studio and the pristine engineering/production on "Pretzel Logic" takes a giant, high- fidelity bullfrog leap over their first two offerings. No one says otherwise. But one of the bugaboos about perfectionism is that it often leaves too much of the human emotion out of the art being created and that's what I think occurred here. Though the tunes definitely have that undeniable Steely Dan charm swirling about them, there's just very little to get excited about.

I'll put it this way. If you're enamored by the graceful tones and leisurely pace of the opener, "Rikki Don't Lose That Number," then you're going to love this collection of eleven tight tracks. It climbed up to the #4 spot on the singles chart and it's hard to argue with that level of success. It has a smooth, jazzy groove for swaying back and forth to and an unforgettable hook line that veers about as close to being a love song as Donald & Walter ever got to writing so what's not to like? (May I suggest the less-than-spontaneous guitar solo?) Moving right along, the next cut is the slick, R&B-styled "Night by Night" featuring a full, robust horn section and a large slice of big-band funk. Good dance number and the hot guitar break has a spicy kick to it but where, oh where are those mysterious play-on-word lyrics I've come to expect from these brainiacs? Has the corrupting Hollywood lifestyle robbed them of their rapier wit and their gift for the runaround?

Not entirely, as evidenced on "Any Major Dude Will Tell You." Acoustic guitar and piano dominate this disarming and simply-constructed tune where Fagen's charismatic voice reassures with lines like "any major dude with half a heart/surely will tell you, my friend/any minor world that breaks apart/falls together again/when the demon is at your door/in the morning it won't be there no more..." For a weary generation that was witnessing the unfurling deception that was Nixon's Watergate while trying to comfort the walking wounded returning home from the pointless Vietnam debacle, this was a message we needed to hear. A rock beat trotting under Donald's sprightly piano draws you up into "Barrytown," a compelling piece of social satire where the singer explains how he's not really the bigot he appears to be, he's just coming clean on how things are in the real world. "I'm not one to look behind/I know that times must change/but over there in Barrytown/they do things very strange/and though you're not my enemy/I like things how they used to be/and though you'd like some company/I'm standing by myself/go play with someone else" he sings. Racial integration's fine, just not in my neighborhood.

Then from straight out of left field comes an unexpected instrumental detour into the land of Duke Ellington and Bubber Miley as the ensemble gives their old-time "East St. Louis Toodle-Oo" the full Steely Dan treatment. We may never know the full answer to "why?" but it hardly matters as the whole thing is over before you know it. The slinky steel guitar ride and the lively piano solo are both grin-inducing, though. "Parker's Band" is perky pop but lacking balls and lyrically lame. Their quirky sense of humor resurfaces in "Through With Buzz," an incredibly brief, off-beat song about a guy being in an unspecified state of denial about his relationship with a male acquaintance. I really like the clever string quartet score that dances around the melody.

I'm not big on the blues but by the time the soulful pitch and roll of "Pretzel Logic" arrives I'm more than ready to rock the joint and this one packs more punch than the rest of the album put together. The interesting chorus chord structure, an intense guitar ride and abstract lyrics about time travel keep it from being just another 12-bar snorer as Donald snarls "I have never met Napoleon/but I plan to find the time/'cause he looks so fine/upon that hill/they tell me he was lonely/he's lonely still." Primo stuff. "With A Gun" takes you on another surprising tangent and this time they fly off into a sort of folkish polka thing that seems to be aimed at the NRA. Hey, I like variety as well as the next progger but these tunes are all over the place. It's almost as if they were picked blindly out of a hat.

But the best and most progressive song on the album saves the day. "Charlie Freak" is what brings me back to listen to this record time after time. Its simple but powerful instrumentation consisting mainly of rolling piano, bass, drums and another appearance by the string quartet coupled with an intriguing, humming, ambient guitar effect is awesome. The tune's dramatic story of a homeless drug addict who sells his last earthly possession, a golden ring, in order to score his final fix is sung with heartbreaking conviction by Fagen who portrays the buyer of said jewelry. He later goes to retrieve the body from the morgue and slips the ring back on the poor kid's finger singing "yes, Jack/I gave it back/the ring I could not own/now come, my friend/I'll take your hand/and lead you home." Its powerful imagery and slow build makes it one of my favorite Steely Dan cuts of all time. "Monkey in Your Soul" is the finale and yet another casual dip into the R&B pool for the boys. It's about the protagonist's dawning realization that his once-passionate infatuation with his significant other is waning and the time to say adios has arrived. Playful fun but it really never goes anywhere interesting.

If you think I don't like "Pretzel Logic" then you're wrong. When I'm in a contemporary, adult-oriented mood I put it on and happily sing right along from start to finish. Yet it's about as prog as a Randy Newman album and the prog content (or lack of) is what I'm addressing in this review. If you have a hankering for eclectic little songs with stick-in-your-head melodies and a lite rock attitude then this will fill that prescription. But the inventive jaunts into unexplored Jazz/Rock Fusion territory that these boys took us all into on "Countdown to Ecstasy" just don't happen here and proggers who are raring to go on those exciting journeys need to know that. It's very good, no doubt, but progressive just isn't one of the adjectives that apply to much of the music included here. 3.3 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#180880) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Review by Chris S
3 stars This may seem odd, but growing up especially with vinyl, you almost have an aerial shot view of any album and the direction it took for both sides. Always different and with CD's as well to a lesser degree. The interesting thing about Pretzel Logic is I think of it like a twin brother or sister to Countdown To Ectasy so almost identical in the path it took but the weaker of the twins. Not by a longshot, this is still an excellently crafted piece of work, perfectionism rising above almost everything else as a priority, resulting in I am sure manic frustrations from the session players. Rikki Don't Lose That Number is the most commercial track off Pretzel Logic. Night By Night is another solid track with lush vocals from Fagen and some excellent guitar riffs. Any Major Dude is a typical Steely Dan number similar to their brand sound of the early to mid 70's. East St. Lois is basically the guys just havin some good old fun, a jazzy instrumental returning the 30's featuring Duke Ellington as guest. One of my personal favourites is Parker's Band which has a great groove throughout folowed closely by the title track. This is the highlight on the album with some fantastic playing from Walter Becker. Excellent drumming too from I think Jeff Porcaro. All in a great album, very short, close on 30 odd minutes long but a very necessary addition to your Steely Dan collective. Money well spent. Three and half stars.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#181023) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 29, 2008

Review by micky
3 stars *Steely Dan Act III: An artist enters the cocoon and begins to morph*

'soon you'll realize that Walter Becker and Donald Fagen are pretty much the sharpest wits in music. Plus, they're total dicks-and they got away with selling millions of records filled with songs that openly mock everyone listening to them. Brilliant.'

a random fan

To say that ABC was not pleased at the lackluster sales of Countdown to Ecstasy would be an understatement so they put pressure on the group again to produce more hit singles, shorter and more radio friendly. The band and ABC came to a bit of compromise between the crisp pop lyricism of the debut and the progressive instrumental interplay of the second album. The result.. a classic album that is often said to be unlike ANYTHING that was on the radio in 1974. However within the band.. much is changing. The incredible drummer Jeff Porcaro was brought in and was the highest paid member of the group from the start. During the recording of this album, the core members of Jim Hodder, Dennis Dias, and Skunk Baxter found themselves increasing replaced by studio aces during the recording of the album. In fact Hodder never played a note on the album yet was paid as if he had. This is the album where Steely Dan became more a conceptual artist than a rock band. Finding musicians to fit the music that Becker and Fagen were composing, as opposed to the standard methods of composition used by nearly every group known to man. Some groups, as SD had before, had used 'ringers' on a song or two to bring out something special, that special 'place' that the other band members themselves might not be able to reach. There were names that were mentioned in hushed reverent terms within the cadre of working musicians, names such as: Paul Griffin, Chuck Rainey, Hugh McCracken, Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie, and Jim Gordon. These were the types of musicians that Becker and Fagen envisioned playing the music that they saw was beyond the scope and abilities of the existing group. Pretzel Logic became in fact the dividing line between the band Steely Dan.. and the artist Steely Dan. On the tour supporting this album, it all fell apart and Steely Dan the band was dissolved.. and the artist Steely Dan was born. But that is for the next review

The album itself is a short one, a bone thrown to the record company most certainly. The music itself? Much like I think the group intended. The shine and gloss of a perfectly arranged and produced album which was a Steely Dan trademark is on full display here. The musicians were used as pieces of a grand puzzle that only Becker and Fagen had in their minds. Having access to a 24 track studio for the first time gives the music a depth that the first two albums lack. The album could be considered could be considered their most overtly jazz influenced to this point, in no small part to the players on the album for sure which gave Becker and Fagen a canvas to explore their deep love of jazz. Yet being the ultimate songwriters that Becker and Fagen were, in addition to being social satirists and musical revolutionaries, they were able to give ABC what they wanted a hit single. The album became, in spite of little musical similarity to the first album, a monster success. Going gold on the charts, reaching a peak of #8 on the charts. Making many end of year best of lists and also, like the first album, making the Rolling Stone list of greatest albums ever made, some 30 years after it's release. A note on the cover.. after a bit of research.. it doesn't appear there is no particular meaning to it. After the title of Pretzel Logic was decided. Gary Katz decided it would be amusing to have a picture of a pretzel vendor on the cover. hahahha. So much for over-analyzing things huh hahhah.

The album kicks off their most successful chart song. The beautiful Rikki Don't Lose that Number. I have heard this song a 1000 times... so have you most likely if you are reading this... and still could hear it another 1000 times and still be taken by Fagen's piano playing ... especially his lovely leads into the chorus sections. The main riff of the song was inspired by jazz musician Horace Silver from his 1964 recording Song For My Father. The lyrics of this have been the subject of discussion for some time, Rick Derringer often claiming he was the Rikki, but apparently we have a definitive answer as it were hahaha. In the March 24, 2006 issue of Entertainment Weekly, in an article titled Back to Annandale, it was revealed that Rikki Ducornet was the apparent inspiration for the song due to a friendship Fagen had with Ducornet while he attended Bard College. Ducornet was pregnant and married at the time, but recalls Fagen did give her his phone number at a college party while attending Bard. Although Fagen himself would not confirm the story, Ducornet was quoted that she believed she was indeed the subject of the song. The next song Night by Night is the polar opposite from the opening song. Where Rikki is drenched in a beauty that is something to behold... Night by Night is tough, ballsy and drips pure dark hard jazz-funk. It is simply a bad ass tune with killer horns and the first appearance of the mighty Jeff Porcaro on the drum-kit. The song was recorded in a barn of all places. The barn had a rope and a noose hanging from a beam and the young, only 19 years old at the time, Porcaro remarked that 'he knew the group had a tough reputation on musicians, but this is ridiculous'. A fan favorite of many from the album. The lyrics are typically cryptic. My take.. a tale of addiction. Night by Night is lingo for alcoholics for planning your night so you don't end up in a situation where you might be tempted to relapse. Next it is.. and I hate to say it.. sappy Any Major Dude will Tell You. An emotional 3 odd minute pop song. Nice song. Great pop and if you want to score with the Dan. Put this on ahhahaha. Let's get the next song though. Barrytown is next. Featuring Michael Omartian on the piano. A lyrically vicious condemnation of small time life using a town near Bard College as the backdrop. The venom of Fagen's lyrics is carried off over a bouncy ...joyous piano melody hahha.. God I love this group. Side one closes with an cover of one of my absolute favorite jazz standards. The East St. Louis Toodle-Oo by Duke Ellington. A majestic 'cover' not ruined by trying to rock through it.. where this just swwwiiiinnnnggggsss. A stand up jazz cover you think.... ooohhhh not so fast. When the decision to put this on the album was made, Fagen went out of bought all available versions of the song. Each slightly different in detail and arrangement and COMBINED them for their own version. Hahaha. Yep... not prog my ass. Probably the definitive cover version of the tune. Not bad for a band formed in an abandoned office.

Side two kicks off with another heavily influenced jazz tune. Parker's Band. A tribute to Charlie Parker featuring the double drums of Gordon and Porcaro. Featuring references all over the song from Parker's work over a brisk mid-tempo rhythm. Another true jazz-rock gem from the guys. Next up is a real disappointment for me on this album, Through with Buzz. Disappointment not with the song.. but the fact is only only a minute and a half long and stops abruptly at the end. It's length has often been lent it to being called filler.. maybe so.. but what an enchanting piece of filler it is with a lovely string section and piano melody. Not sure about you all.. but this filler.. I wanted to hear 3 or 4 more minutes of it.. to hear where they might have taken it. Oh well.... They are forgiven because next up.. oh lordy.. the epic title track Pretzel Logic. A rarity of to this point in the Dan catalog.. a funky blues shuffle with Jim Gordon leading the band through the changes. Walter Becker takes the guitar solo here and is a gem among guitar solos. A song of time travel which became a live fan favorite on the tour to support the album. Next up is With a Gun. A country western flavored number of all things hahha. A tale of settling the debts you owe to a creditor with a gun rather than money hahha. Pretty much a throw away number. Charlie Freak comes up next.. a dark tale of death of guilt. Of note here is the cello which is not a cello but is Skunk Baxter running his steel pedal guitar through a fuzztone. The album closes with Monkey in your Soul. A funky sax driven number that sounds like something you'd hear down in the French Quarter or Beale Street. The song represents the main problem I have with large.. large parts of the album. Ideas here while FANTASTIC are short.. and god knows what this album might have been with a bit more exploration. So where this album was a compromise of sorts between the first two. It ultimately loses to both in that while a fine album...with some parts are are simply... perfect.. other parts are either to short or are merely interesting ideas that could have scrapped for exploring the better ones a bit more.

Rating the album. A very uneven album for the prog fan. Some moments of pure genius for all prog fans.. music fans. Yet there are then moments only for those who eat up anything and everything Becker and Fagen put down like it was caviar. The good news is.. this was a transition album.. for this point. the morphing of Steely Dan from a projected hit maker to a genuine progressive rock icon in my eyes has started in earnest. With the next album.. Steely Dan hits the road in 5th gear and doesn't let off the creative gas for the rest of the 70's. For the site. 3 stars. For me 3 stars. For woman in pants skirts ....

Michael (aka the big Mick)

Send comments to micky (BETA) | Report this review (#181400) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 01, 2008

Review by Finnforest
3 stars "you can try to run but you can't hide from what's inside of you."

"Once the neural floodgates had been opened upon the possibilities of recording with any and all of our favorite LA cats, there was no turning back." [Fagen/Becker]

And so it was that Steely Dan was changing from the road-weary band of mates to the beginnings of the slick jazz/rock duo the world would come to know. They were changing their recording process from using their bandmates to employing whatever studio musicians might tickle their fancy. "Pretzel Logic" is the first album where you begin to hear the sound that one associates with the Dan. Things are getting more lush and more radio friendly. On the down side we are beginning to feel the loss of the special "grit" that I love about the early work, the street cred mixed with a longing sentimentality about the past. The essence of the band that is so successfully captured in the cover of Pretzel Logic, a photo that contains many stories but is likely commentary on the rugged individualism and urban spirit. In the lame Disney-fied cities of today's America, the guy probably wouldn't even be allowed to have his cart near the park.wouldn't pass code. The classic urban character of our great cities have been replaced by a horribly unfortunate modern chain retailing mirage, where everything looks the same, safe, plastic, and without soul. Relevant mainly because in some ways similar things have happened in music, film, hell.even cars (that new Accord ain't exactly a '69 Challenger, is it?) Right out of the gate you hear the changes with the slick melodic pop of "Rikki" and it is an amazing track. Absolutely tight and perfectly crafted songwriting and delivery. As Micky said you could hear this one 1000 times and still admire the job they did here. The quality remains astounding on the next two, the funky and soulful "Night by Night" and the reflective "Any Major Dude Will Tell You." But with the exception of the fabulous title track, a Dan classic, the rest of the album does not live up to the same level of quality. Track for track this is probably the weakest of the first three albums. I find it pretty hard to recommend this one to anyone besides Steely Dan fans though for me personally it is still a good 3 star affair. "Charlie Freak" is one more that is pretty decent with a neat rolling piano and some interesting, almost neurotic sounding lead guitar. Like many of the tracks here it sounds underdeveloped because of the short run time. "Pretzel Logic" starts very strong but is one of the weaker Steely Dan albums.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#185408) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 12, 2008

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars 2.5 stars really!!!

After the fairly different CTE, which was considered a disappointment in many circles and in the charts, Dan returned to the studios with a Damocles' sword hanging over their heads: repeat the Thrill's success or face our wrath. So the duo wrote another Thrill album as if it was the easiest thing to do. Which in sorts, it was since the Fagen/Becker duo had written tons of songs for a wide-spectrummed brochettes of artistes. This is exactly where I can never forget that SD was one of those evil-front- office music business sharks as well as being studio rats. I mean that with CTE, it was clear that SD could write an album that stood mostly together as a unit and have a general direction, which was the opposite of their debut album. And they'd achieve this with minimum time always in a hurry between the road and the studios. Sooo instead of going onwards with the CTE direction in mind, SD throw whatever revolt they might have felt and obliged the company with another Thrill-type of album, an aimless bunch of songs with no unity. They also knew perfectly well they were doing crappier things than CTE, and at least in this album, they kept their sell-out rather short, just over the half-hour. First line-up change: Hodder left the drum stool to a real studio rat Jeff Porcaro (future Toto), although he still appears on some tracks. Derek & Dominoes' Jim Gordon also drums a bit on the album. The artwork is mostly reminiscent of their NY roots(or at least east coast), something that the album's title hints as well.

Starting on the Rikki Don't Loose That Number huge hit, there is no doubt that SD is playing between Do It Again and Reelin' and it can't be a miss chart-wise. Night by Night has the same horn section as Dirty work had, but the song works fine too and there is some sax work. But the album sinks into a comatose state with dumb and listless tracks like Any Major Dude Will Tell You, while the slightly stinky Barrytown is heavier in mood, but fails to convince it doesn't mean bigotry business. One has to wonder what tracks like St Louis Toodle-oo is doing on such an album, except breaking the album's canvas by being outside of the weft of the album. As brilliantly played as it is, it's ridiculous on this album. Further down the album we go through the average Parker's Band (and I mean really really average), the Country-Beatle-esque With a Gun (not this album's worse song either) and the useless finale Monkey In Your Soul

Out of the morosity and monotony of the album, come out three tracks, the short string-quartet driven Through With Buzz and the second hit from this album, the title track, which again plays on the electric piano and multiple Dan-esque harmony vocals, but here there is a nice groove induced by the vast horn section and a very tight . Another highlight is the interesting Charlie Freak, with its hypnotic piano and almost Hackettian guitars - too bad it's so short.

The "group" would come apart after this album, more out of distaste for the road for the brainchild than for the usual musical preferences/differences. Skunk Baxter left to infect the then-superb Doobie Brothers, only for him to induce that Country Rock and Dan-esque feel that started with their Stampede album and ended up in their disastrous Minute By Minute. With Pretzel Logic ends the "group's group phase", and they will simply refuse to tour from then-onwards, thus enforcing the studio rats image of the band. While the PL album is better than Thrill (I'd love to see/hear if they expanded a few songs of PL), it's certainly far away from Countdown and what the band had shown us what they could do. Hence in that regard, although I say there are four tracks I like on PL, it's still far from an essential album, not even clinching the good 3 stars level, since this is the kind of album they could write in a coma, without the slightest shred of effort.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#185917) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 16, 2008

Review by UMUR
3 stars Pretzel Logic is the third full length studio album from US Pop/ Rock act Steely Dan. Their last album called Countdown to Ecstasy was a nice surprise for me with the addition of jazzy elements to their already cool and laidback Pop/ Rock style. Sadly Countdown to Ecstasy didn t sell enough, so Steely Dan was pushed in a more commercial direction by their record company and its very obvious when you listen to Pretzel Logic that their artistic ideals was pushed aside for a more commercial approach.

The opening song Rikki Dont Lose That Number did become a hit and the album sold well. So did the operation go well allthough the patient died ? Well not quite. There are actually some enjoyable songs on Pretzel Logic and as always with Steely Dan they are executed to perfection. This is polished and cleverly arranged Pop/ rock with very little progressive ideas. So it might be a little hard to swallow for the hardcore proghead.

The musicianship is excellent and of course that saves the album a bit. Note that Jeff Porcaro who would later play in Toto plays drums on the album.

The production is wonderful. Detailed, warm and perfect.

This is not my favorite Steely Dan album and I would put it in the same catagory as the debut which I found enjoyable but nothing special. A small 3 star rating is deserved ( maybe only 2 stars, but Im being nice).

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#188245) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 07, 2008

Review by Matthew T
5 stars It was 1974 and the third Steely Dan album was upon us with jazz references all over it and even a Duke Ellington cover of his early classic East St Louis Toodle-Oo. Charlie Parker gets a mention with Parkers Band and a snip of a Horace Silver composition (Song For My Father) is used as the opening on Rikki Don't Lose That Number. Comprising eleven tracks and not a poor one with plenty of variety and an old time jazz influence which is predominate throughout the album.

The band has not changed from the previous album but there are no vibes as in the prevoius album Countdown to Ectasy but there are many extra session musicians on the album around 14 with the band, it was quite a big production. Donald Fagen and Walter Becker are at the helm as usual with Gary Katz doing production. This would be the last album with the band in its entirety and after this they even stopped touring and became a studio band only.

The album commences with the big single Rikki Don't Lose That Number with that Horace Silver influence and would have been the first time the band started to gain regular airplay in Australia. Night by Night follows and is one little nice rocker with Any Major Dude to follow which is a bit down tempo to the prevoius number. There are two other tracks on side one of the record with the Ellington number being the last but over the years I really have grown to like the other side of the Album with the driving Parkers Band the quirky Through With Buzz to follow but the standout for me is the title track Pretzel Logic with that rolling melody underneath the tune. With a Gun the next track up is mainly accoustic driven but in a fairly quick time with a nice little story. It is not often that one says they like the 2nd last track on a record as usually they seem to be where the worst track is placed on many albums not so with poor unlucky in life Charlie Freak. Monkey in my Soul finishes off proceedings.

This would be there last great record for a while but the next two albums even though they are nothing to sneeze at things really hit the mark for the band with this release and it put them right on the map.

Absolutely essential for anyone who likes good music

Send comments to Matthew T (BETA) | Report this review (#262018) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 22, 2010

Review by Flucktrot
3 stars Not knowing much about the context of Steely Dan's allegedly poor relationship with the demands of the recording industry producers, I can just look at the track list of Pretzel Logic and know that there wasn't going to be much chance at radio success. I think the percentage of two-minute songs getting serious airtime is fairly low relative to other songs lengths, unless of course we're talking about the Beatles.

Out of eleven total songs, Pretzel Logic contains 6 tracks under the two-minute mark. Out of these, only one--Toodle-Oo--is very memorable. The other shorts nearly function as throw-aways, which is absolutely shocking for the Dan. Maybe they did this to stick it to the record companies, knowing they at least brought the goods, and by extension commercial potential, with Rikki and the title track. Throw in the punchy, funky Night After Night, and the catchy, heartfelt ditty Major Dude, and you've got plenty of ammo for a worthwhile purchase.

The shame is that we know what Steely Dan were capable of, and by nearly any measure, they did not live up to what most would have expected of them at the time--fans and producers alike. Pretzel Logic to me gave us some good additions to later greatest hits compilations, but not much regarding an album of any real lasting impact.

Send comments to Flucktrot (BETA) | Report this review (#317960) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 13, 2010

4 stars "Pretzel Logic" isn't exactly a favourite among Prog fans when it comes to STEELY DAN's albums. I guess the intelligent, jazzy flavoured tunes are just too poppy for them. For me it's not as good as "Countdown To Ecstacy" but definetly better than "Katy Lied". "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" is my favourite track on here and a song I still haven't tired of after all of these years.That light beat, prominant piano and above all the vocals create magic. We get a guitar solo 3 minutes in for good measure. "Night By Night" features blasting horns that come and go while the guitar takes the spotlight a minute in and then later at 2 minutes. "Any Major Dude Will Tell You" is a top three for me.There's something emotional about this track for me. I like the piano, bass and drums but the vocals are even better. "Barrytown" is a fun song lyrically, a real toe tapper too. "East St.Louis Toodle" is a Duke Ellington cover that seems out of place. I think they've put the steel guitar through a fuzz box on this one and it sounds weird. A silly diversion. "Parker's Band" has such a great sounding intro as the vocals join in. Horns late. "Through With Buzz" is a short tune with strings, a beat and piano standing out as vocals join in. "Pretzel Logic" doesn't quite make my top three, i'd rate it as my fourth favourite though. A bluesy flavour to the rhythm here. A relaxed guitar solo 2 minutes in. "With A Gun" has this uptempo beat with vocals.This is catchy with lots of guitar. "Charlie Freak" is my other top three tune. A determined beat with piano and vocals on this one. Great track ! "Monkey In Your Soul" has a catchy rhythm with some nice bass as the vocals join in. Horns just before a minute. Sure it's a low 4 stars from me but this is an album I look forward to playing.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#447829) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 14, 2011

Review by Warthur
4 stars Pretzel Logic found Steely Dan in a melancholic and contemplative mood, combining the world-weariness of Can't Buy a Thrill with the increased compositional and technical chops of Countdown to Ecstasy. Paying full tribute to their jazz influences with the Charlie Parker homage Parker's Band and the Duke Ellington cover East St. Louis Toodle-oo, Becker and Fagen with their wingmen trace a more depressing course through their unique jazz-rock universe than their previous two albums, paving the way for the outright cynicism of Katy Lied and The Royal Scam. Not on the absolute top tier of Steely Dan albums, but still another excellent release from an extremely consistent band.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#516970) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 07, 2011

4 stars The chorus of the title track of this album goes, "Those days are gone forever/Over a long time ago". These words could well be applied to this album as such. Steely Dan made a clean break with the concept of a 'real band'. Touring on the back of Countdown to Ecstasy ostensibly destroyed ... (read more)

Report this review (#1040625) | Posted by rogerthat | Saturday, September 21, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars For me, Pretzel Logic is the cream of the Steely Dan crop. Since they are probably on my top ten list, that's very high praise indeed! It's the first of their two 5 star albums, along with Aja IMHO. Pretzel Logic is less conventionally "progressive" than Aja, which usually gets better reviews ... (read more)

Report this review (#1036752) | Posted by thwok | Tuesday, September 17, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars PRETZEL LOGIC from Steely Dan in 1974, is a good album but it has never been one of my favorites. I prefer AJA and COUNTDOWN TO ECSTACY more. I would tie this with the Gaucho level. Very jazzy and not bad, though. Best tracks are "Rikki", "Any Major Dude", and "Barrytown". The rest do not really thr ... (read more)

Report this review (#744219) | Posted by mohaveman | Wednesday, April 25, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Pretzel Logic ? 1974 (3.6/5) 12 ? Best Song: Hard to say, it's very consistent, but maybe Charlie Freak If you refused to look beyond the surface, you'd think Steely Dan had gone into a jazzy adult contemporary relaxation group. They're on the fast train to making money! 'Rikki Don't Lose Tha ... (read more)

Report this review (#440467) | Posted by Alitare | Friday, April 29, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Let me openly state that this album, PRETZEL LOGIC, has settled in as my favorite STEELY DAN album period. It took a long time, and it had to fight off certain strong contenders like KATY LIED and AJA, but it eventually took. As a drummer, I am particularly fond of how this album brought us the i ... (read more)

Report this review (#415016) | Posted by Gorloche | Sunday, March 13, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Well, I'd love to give this album a 5/5, but again, I'm constrained by the "progressive" classification. This album is not essential to a prog collection, but if you want to branch out in any way, it is absolutely essential. And it doesn't hurt a prog collection, either, especially with songs l ... (read more)

Report this review (#308852) | Posted by KyleSchmidlin | Sunday, November 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The fact that this is the Dan's popiest album does not take away from the fact that it is also their most complete and brilliant album. All of the tracks flow from one to another seemlessly in a way that only Aja can duplicate. The song writing is also the best that can be found on any Steely Da ... (read more)

Report this review (#181129) | Posted by dufman | Saturday, August 30, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STEELY DAN "Pretzel Logic"