YES - THE NEW DIRECTOR'S CUT

- Chris Squire / bass
- Alan White / drums and percussion
- Rick Wakeman / keyboards

Classic Studio T. DVD5073X

Thanks to erik neuteboom for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES Yes - The New Director's Cut Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Like It Is - YES At The Bristol Hippodrome(2CD/DVD Deluxe Edition)Like It Is - YES At The Bristol Hippodrome(2CD/DVD Deluxe Edition)
Frontiers Music Srl 2014
Atlantic Catalog Group 2013
Close to the Edge [Blu-ray]Close to the Edge [Blu-ray]
Discipline Global Mobile
Blu-ray Audio$21.65
Songs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary ConcertSongs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary Concert
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2014
Yes AlbumYes Album
Panegyric 2014
Blu-ray Audio$21.46
9012590125
Elektra / Wea 2004

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES Yes - The New Director's Cut ratings distribution

YES Yes - The New Director's Cut reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
4 stars

This 2-DVD is released because of the 35th anniversary of the band (1968-2003) during the 2003 tour in the UK in a socalled "new director's cut" (like with famous movies) but I prefer to rename it in the 30th anniversary of the triple live LP Yessongs (1973-2003) because to me this 2-DVD looks like a kind of Yessongs Plus. I have seen Yes during their 2004 tour in The Netherlands (that concert was similar to the two concerts on this 2-DVD) and I was delighted about all enthousiastic Yes members and the many new arrangements of the classic Yes compositions during the tours in 2003 and 2004. On these two DVD's you can enjoy great camerawork that captured the great Yes spirit on stage and how inspired Yes delivers the new arrangements.

The Birmingham gig (16 songs): an excellent and extended Steve Howe solo and pleasant modern keyboard work in Siberian Khatru, a flashy synthesizer solo in the powerful rendition of Don'Kill The Whale, a spectacular Gibson electric guitar/Minimoog synthesizer duel in South Side Of The Sky, exciting Minimoog flights, beautiful classical orchestrations and wonderful work on the Fender twin-steel guitar in And You And I, a virtuosic solo spot by Steve Howe on the acoustic guitar (including the inevitable Clap), an even more virtuosic performance solo spot by Rick Wakeman featuring dazzling runs on the Minimoog and digital keyboards (sensational church-organ sound on the GEM keyboard), a great break with bass solo play, accompanied by a lush strings-sound in Heart Of The Sunrise, a blend of guitar flageolets, distorted bass and subtle drums in Long Distance Runaround and a breathtaking version of Awaken with sparkling piano, majestic church organ, Chris Squire on his triple-neck and Howe on the Fender Telecaster, a standing ovation!

The Glastonbury Festival gig (11 songs): A famous progrock band on an open air festival, that doesn't happen very often and hoew colourful they looked: Steve Howe in a jellow suit, Jon in purple clothes and Chris with a pink blouse, a very coloured progrock band, like the average reggae band! The sound is not optimal (Rick Wakeman sounds a bit far away in the mix and the camerawork suffers a little bit from waving banners) and the lightshow is minimal but Yes plays an inspired gig, it's interesting to compare this Yes gig with the Birmingham concert.

Most of the compositions on this 2-DVD are introduced by Yes members with interesting and funny stories, from Steve Howe with Mr. Gibson to Rick Wakeman with his own big limousine and marching band with beautiful girls to Jon with his praise for the band during the years. For me it was very pleasant to hear these stories but on the other hand it also can be a bit disturbing if you want to enjoy the entire concerts.

My conclusion: for sure Yes is the most prolific symphonic rock dinosaur concerning DVD releases but I doubt or many Yes fans are waiting for this DVD (for example if you already own Songs For Tsongas) but in general the Yes fans have good jobs and are often willing to buy every DVD release, it's up to your need to buy all Yes DVD material.

Thanks Jim 'Hammond' Garten, you know why

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#181000) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 28, 2008

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Brought out of retirement . the songs that is!

This 2008 double DVD release belatedly makes available 2 concerts from Yes' 35 anniversary year in 2003. While the Yesspeak DVD had included an audio only recording of a gig from that tour, this is the first time the video has been officially available. Having attended the Edinburgh, Scotland leg of the tour, it is good to have this recording of the Birmingham show a few days before or after. For this tour, the Classic line up of Anderson, Howe, Squire, White and Wakeman are back together, adding extra appeal.

In my view the set list is not one of the strongest Yes have come up with, but on the other hand we would not want them to play the same songs on every tour. As a result, there's no "Close to the edge" or "Relayer" for example, but songs which have been resting for years are given new life. The two highlights in this respect are "South side of the sky" from "Fragile" and "Awaken" from "Going for the one". "South side." was never one of my favourites, but the version for this tour is revitalised by some great sparring between Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman. "Awaken" is the song which steals the show though, this majestic rendition bringing out the full power and beauty of the piece, and placing it firmly alongside "And You and I", "Close to the edge" etc. at the top table of Yes songs.

There is something of a focus on "Fragile" in the set list, with "Heart of the sunrise", "Long distance runaround", and several others being performed. Of the other songs, those like "Don't kill the whale" and "Magnification" are lesser Yes numbers, and as such could have been omitted in favour of stronger material.

The songs are occasionally interspersed with back stage footage and interviews with the band members. These appear to have been lifted straight from the Yesspeak" DVD, and as such offer nothing new.

In addition to this virtually complete concert, we get about 90 minutes of Yes headlining the Glastonbury festival, also in 2003. There is naturally significant overlap in the set lists for the two gigs, with "Awaken", "South side of the sky", "Magnification" and many others being pretty much mirror images of those on disc one. There is a certain appeal to this set as the audience are not necessarily Yes fans, although it would seem the vast majority are. I would venture to suggest that the average age of the crowd is much younger that at your average Yes gig this century.

Fans of Yes have never found it a challenge to obtain live Yes material in audio or video format. Whether this collection is a necessary purchase is therefore somewhat dubious. As ever, the band are in top form and the music is beyond reproach, it is just a question of whether you already have enough in the way of Yes live to satisfy your needs.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#187310) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Review by thehallway
4 stars A very nicely put together package with short interview clips interspersed with full stage songs.

I didn't buy this dvd because it's exactly the same set list as the cheaper montreux one, but this show was shown on satellite television and I caught it a few times. The interview footage is the main attraction; revealing up to date opinions and anecdotes from all five members of the band, sometimes with immense depth and detail (e.g. Steve Howe describing his favourite guitar, or Rick Wakeman treating us to yet another crazy story about the 70's). The live songs are great too though, with consistent and lively playing/singing. There are many classics (but none of the 20-minute-plus songs) as well as virtuosic solo spots for each member (although Alan and Chris share theirs).

I am however, confused by the inclusion of the Glastonbury show, as this exactly the same songs as the Birmingham set list on disc 1, minus the solo sections. Was this dvd designed for people with amnesia?! I guess it's harmless but it seems a little pointless to me; they could have filled the second disc with more interviews, or some studio music.

Anyway, besides that odd exuction of disc space, I'm very happy with this release and even happier that I caught it for free. Only avoid it if you own the other dvds from the 35th aniversary era, because the set list will be identical.

Send comments to thehallway (BETA) | Report this review (#282640) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Post a review of YES "Yes - The New Director's Cut"