GRETCHEN GOES TO NEBRASKA

King's X Gretchen Goes to Nebraska album cover

rock music collection

Buy KING'S X Music
Studio Album, released in 1989

1. Out Of The Silent Planet (5:44)
2. Over My Head (4:47)
3. Summerland (3:18)
4. Everybody Knows A Little Bit Of Something (3:57)
5. The Difference (In The Garden Of St. Anne's-On-The-Hill) (3:09)
6. I'll Never Be The Same (4:56)
7. Mission (5:01)
8. Fall On Me (4:06)
9. Pleiades (4:41)
10. Don't Believe It (It's Easier Said Than Done) (3:08)
11. Send A Message (4:02)
12. The Burning Down (5:35)

Search KING'S X Gretchen Goes to Nebraska lyrics

Search KING'S X Gretchen Goes to Nebraska tabs

- Doug Pinnick / bass, vocals
- Ty Tabor / guitar, vocals
- Jerry Gaskill / drums, vocals

Released June 27, 1989
Label: Megaforce
Producer: Sam Taylor & King's X
All songs written by Pinnick, Tabor, Gaskill, except I'll Never Be The Same written by Pinnick, Tabor, Gaskill and Marty Warren; Pleiades written by Pinnick, Tabor, Gaskill and Dale Richardson.

Thanks to UMUR for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

KING'S X MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KING'S X Gretchen Goes to Nebraska Music

Ogre TonesOgre Tones
Inside Out U.S. 2005
Black Like SundayBlack Like Sunday
Metal Blade 2003
Dogman - King's X (Cassette 1994, Atlantic) NEW Shrink-Wrap US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Gretchen Goes to Nebraska by King's X (CD, Jun-1989, Megaforce) US $0.99 [0 bids]
AVALON Label Sampler JAPAN CD Divinity, Viper, King's X, Whitewolf... #48-4 US $5.39 Buy It Now 13h 50m
King's X - Dogman.cd US $9.96 Buy It Now 16h 32m
Pineappleskunk by Poundhound CD Doug Pinnick King's X (USA SHIPPING 8$) US $4.00 [0 bids]
KING'S X Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + BACKING TRACKS + FREE BONUSES US $8.36 Buy It Now 17h 30m
Tape Head by King's X (Cassette, Oct-1998, Metal Blade) US $15.00 Buy It Now 18h 27m
Ogre Tones by King's X (CD, Sep-2005, Inside Out Music) US $12.20 Buy It Now 18h 55m
KING'S X - OGRE TONES - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $23.03 Buy It Now 19h 29m
King's X by King's X (CD, Mar-1992, Megaforce) US $0.89 [1 bids]
King's X - CD (RARE) US $9.97 Buy It Now 19h 34m
Faith Hope Love - King's X - CD US $6.00 Buy It Now 19h 35m
KING'S X - Tape Head (1998) OOP Cassette NEW US $19.98 Buy It Now 21h 35m
King's X by King's X (CD, Mar-1992, Megaforce) US $12.98 Buy It Now 22h 33m
KING'S X Dogman CD 1994 Atlantic Records Doug Pinnick The Mob Ty Tabor Platypus US $2.00 [0 bids]
KISS / KING'S X God Gave Rock & Roll To You SPLIT 7" Bill & Ted Intercope 1991 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Out of the Silent Planet by King's X (CD, Mar-1988, Megaforce) US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
KING'S X (FAITH HOPE LOVE) CANADA CASSETTE US $1.00 [0 bids]
King's X - Please Come Home...Mr. Bulbous.cd US $9.96 Buy It Now 1 day
Atomic Opera For Madmen Only US CD NEW 1994 Heavy Metal/Prog Sam Taylor/King's X US $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
KING'S X /gretchen goes tonebraska /JAPAN LTD CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KING'S X - Faith, Hope, Love (CD 1990) SAM TAYLOR MEGAFORCE US $3.32 Buy It Now 1 day
KING'S X Please Come Home...Mr. Bulbous CD 2000 Ty Tabor DUG PINNICK Metal Blade US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
King's X by King's X (CD 1992, ATLANTIC) US $1.95 [0 bids]
King's X - (1994) cd US $1.64 [0 bids]
KING'S X - BLACK LIKE SUNDAY CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Faith Hope Love by King's X (CD, Oct-1990, Megaforce US $4.90 [0 bids]
King's X - Tape Head (CD, 1998) US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
King's X - Ogre Tones [CD New] US $15.15 Buy It Now 1 day
King's X Out of the Silent Planet PROMO USA Cassette Tape Kings US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Faith Hope Love King's X CD prog metal funk It's Love We Were Born to Be Loved US $7.98 Buy It Now 1 day
King's X-Faith Hope Love-Rare Original 1990 Metal LP-Megaforce-SEALED US $41.00 [3 bids]
King's X by King's X (CD, Mar-1992, Megaforce) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KXM : KXM (CD, 2014) KING'S X, GEORGE LYNCH, album, Hard Rock rock US $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
King's X Classic Hard Rock Heavy Metal Grunge CD US $5.00 [0 bids]
Tape Head by King's X (CD, Oct-1998, Metal Blade) US $2.48 Buy It Now 1 day
King's X by King's X (Cassette, Mar-1992, Megaforce) US $6.50 [0 bids]
Ty Tabor (King's X)- Moonflower Lane INSIDE OUT EDITION (USA SHIPPING 8$) US $1.99 [0 bids]
KING'S X faith hope love PROGRESSIVE ROCK cutout 13 songs VG TAPE US $3.48 [0 bids]
King's X - Ear Candy (cassette) US $6.00 Buy It Now 2 days
King's X "It's Love" promo CD single US $2.99 [0 bids]
Faith Hope Love by King's X (CD, Oct-1990, Megaforce) US $0.01 [0 bids]
KING's X Live In London 2010 2x CD NEW US $23.15 Buy It Now 2 days
KING'S X self titled PROMO CASSETTE original 1992 atlantic 82372-4 heavy metal US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
KING'S X dogman PROMO CASSETTE original 1994 atlantic 82558 heavy metal US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Faith Hope Love by King's X (CD, Oct-1990, Megaforce) US $1.99 [0 bids]
King's X by King's X (CD, Mar-1992, Megaforce) US $2.99 [0 bids]
...MEGA RARE... LONGBOX NO CD**Faith Hope Love~King's X US $11.62 [0 bids]
KING'S X BUILDING BLOX SUPER RARE ACOUSTIC 15 TRACK PROMO CD 1994 HTF OOP US $40.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Ty Tabor Moonflower Lane @1998 Metal Blade Records CD (King's X, Jelly Jam) US $3.00 [0 bids]
KING'S X CASSETTE TAPE US $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SAIGON KICK Come take me Now 1991 PROMO CD Single KING'S X Extreme TOUR Mention US $34.99 Buy It Now 2 days
King's X - Faith Hope Love By King's X [CD New] US $11.78 Buy It Now 2 days
King's X - Dogman [CD New] US $11.82 Buy It Now 2 days
King's X-Prog Rock/HEAVY METAL-Supershine/POUNDHOUND US $4.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Dogman by King's X (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) US $2.99 [0 bids]
King's X - Dogman (CD, 1994, Atlantic) Barely Used! US $2.99 [0 bids]
King's X ~ Ear Candy 1996 (Audio CD) Ty Tabor / Doug Pinnick / Jerry Gaskill US $7.55 Buy It Now 2 days
KING'S X - GRETCHEN GOES TO NEBRASKA - NEW CD US $6.13 Buy It Now 2 days
King's X - Faith Hope Love (1990 Cassette) SEALED Rock US $3.50 Buy It Now 2 days
King's X - Tape Head (CD, 1998, Metal Blade) Classic groove metal!!! US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
King's X - Faith, Hope and Love - AUTOGRAPHED CD!! US $20.00 Buy It Now 3 days
King's X - Ear Candy - AUTOGRAPHED CD US $20.00 Buy It Now 3 days
KING'S X 'Ear Candy' 13 song cd 1996 US $3.95 [0 bids]
XV [Digipak] by King's X (CD, May-2008, Inside Out Music) US $12.30 Buy It Now 3 days
FAITH HOPE LOVE music CD by King's X 1990 US $2.09 Buy It Now 3 days
Faith Hope Love by King's X (CD, Oct-1990, Megaforce) US $1.99 Buy It Now 3 days
King's X - The Best Of SEALED FREE SHIPPING OFFER US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
King's X Faith Hope Love Cassette USA Cassette Tape US $2.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Faith Hope Love by King's X Music Cassette Mega Force/Atlantic Label US $4.96 Buy It Now 3 days
King's X - Live All Over The Place [CD New] US $15.74 Buy It Now 3 days
KING'S X - Tape Head CD ROCK New & Sealed US $1.50 Buy It Now 3 days
King's X's Ty Tabor - Moonflower Lane *SEALED* CD 1998 US $4.99 [0 bids]
KING'S X - OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET - NEW CD US $6.35 Buy It Now 3 days
Ty Tabor (of King's X) - Moonflower Lane CD 1998 *SEALED* US $5.99 [0 bids]
King's X - Out Of The Silent Planet [CD New] US $9.30 Buy It Now 3 days
King's X - King's X CD '92 Atlantic US $5.49 Buy It Now 3 days
New Promo CD Lifeblood Seal Saigon Kick King's X Betty Boo Tara Kemp The Rembran US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KING'S X - XV [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $12.24 Buy It Now 3 days
KING'S X 'OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET' NEW ROCK CANDY REMASTER 2014 SEALED NEW! US $18.24 [0 bids]
KING'S X - Ear Candy (CD 1996) US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Faith Hope Love by King's X (Cassette, Oct-1990, Megaforce) US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KING'S X Sometime RARE 1 TRACK PROMO DJ CD single 1996 US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
King's X - Ogre Tones CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KING'S X - XV - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $23.03 Buy It Now 3 days
KING'S X 'Manic Moonlight' 10 song hard rock cd 2001 US $2.95 [0 bids]
Lot of 65 Rock Music CDs INXS SANTANA R.E.M. KING'S X TESLA KISS GODSMACK PETTY US $25.00 [0 bids]
KING'S X - ORIGINAL ALBUM SERIES [SLIPCASE] [KING'S X] [CD - NEW CD BOXSET US $22.46 Buy It Now 3 days
KINGS' X - KING'S X Prog / Metal / Hard Rock / Xian Near Mint US $7.77 [0 bids]
Dogman by King's X (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
King's X by King's X US $5.33 Buy It Now 4 days
KING'S X - Gretchen Goes To Nebraska (CD 1989) ROCK US $5.25 Buy It Now 4 days
KING'S X - Ear Candy CD 1996 ATLANTIC 82880-2 US $5.25 Buy It Now 4 days
Rare Metal CD KING'S X same ORG Atlantic Redordings 1996 US $12.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KING'S X - OUT OF SILENT PLANET NEW CD US $16.92 Buy It Now 4 days
King's X Tape Head CD *SEALED* Kings US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KING´S X "MANIC MOONLIGHT" ADVANCED CD VERY RARE! 3 TRACKS DOUG PINNICK US $20.00 Buy It Now 4 days
XV, King's X, New US $16.84 Buy It Now 4 days
DUG PINNICK - STRUM SUM UP (New & Sealed) CD King's X Rock US $6.62 Buy It Now 4 days
"Best Of King's X" 1997 Atlantic Used CD Comp. US $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy KING'S X music online Buy KING'S X & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KING'S X DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KING'S X Gretchen Goes to Nebraska ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(46%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(38%)

KING'S X Gretchen Goes to Nebraska reviews

Review by Nightfly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
5 stars King's X appeared like a breath of fresh air in the late eighties Rock/Metal scene. A band going their own way and doing something different to the myriad of hair metal bands that seemed to appear every week. What made them stand out for me, apart from Bassist/Vocalist Doug Pinnicks wild hair style was firstly Ty Tabors guitar playing and sound; very rich and full, heavy without being metallic and interesting chord progressions with a strong emphasis on melody. Pinnick has a great voice in the rock tradition but all the band sing, Tabor and Drummer Jerry Gaskill adding some great harmony work in the tradition of The Beatles and taking lead at times too.

Gretchen Goes To Nebraska is their second album and remains one of their very best, if not the best with a consistently strong selection of melodic heavy rock. For a listen to Tabors inventive playing just listen to his chord progressions at the end of I'll Never Be The Same, gorgeous arpeggios on Mission coming across like Cream's White Room incarnated and Summerland, still one of their most sublime moments and like all the album strong on melodies and hooks. To put it simply King's X write songs with the priority on strong tunes, not overly complex but they've got the musical skills to call upon where necessary.

Other highlights include Pleiades for Tabors subtle climatic build on guitar towards the end and album opener Out Of The Silent Planet, which was also the title of their first album setting the scene for what to expect for the rest of the album with those lush chords and harmonies.

Highly regarded by many Over My Head is pretty much a straightforward rocker and at the time received a fair amount of play on MTV. It has a good riff but there's much more interesting stuff here like Everybody Knows A Little Bit of Something; scratchy guitar on the verse giving way to another great Tabor riff on the chorus and an excellent groove from Gaskill in the drum department.

Don't Believe it (It's Easier said Than Done) features some of their best harmony work as well as simply being another great tune. And so it goes, I'm sure you've got the idea by now, the quality songwriting prevails for the entire album.

At the time it looked like great things were in store for King's X but for whatever reason major success has eluded them. Fortunately their still with us producing great music and Gretchen Goes To Nebraska remains one of the great relatively undiscovered gems of the eighties.

Send comments to Nightfly (BETA) | Report this review (#182711) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Review by debrewguy
5 stars When I saw the first review of a King's X album last week, my heart jumped. Alright, here's some music I can write about before most others here at PA. ........ Then I sat down to start with this album ... er, mmm, aagghh ... I couldn't for the life of me think of how to start. So I gave it a few listens in the past few days, and I found out why. when this was released in '89, it was quite unlike any hard rock or metal out there. Ty Tabor's tone was the holy grail for many a budding guitarist. The secret, eventually revealed much later - pull back on the guitar's volume knob. Think La Villa Strangiato played on a Strat, with a bit more gain. Anyways, the group had it all. Raga like bass intro on Out of the Silent Planet, then the guitar crashes in, with Doug Pinnick quickly following suit. Heavy and heavenly. Spiritual, christian based lyrics, but no preaching. Tempo shifts, and something more than verse chorus verse basic blues structure, yet not quite abrasive to be truly metal. Over my Head was the song that got me into them. Heard it on the radio a few times and just had to get the album. Even in what, for King's X, is a straight ahead rocker, the band throw in more into this song than many rockers do in an album. Heavy riff for the verse, funky distorto guitar on the chorus and back again. Hey wait, Pinnick is singing about memories of his Grandmother praying and singing to him as a baby. Does the Heavy Metal Association know about this ? Anyway, to make the rest of this brief - You'll find hard edged rock, you'll find funky twists, harmony vocals matching the Beatles and Queen and many other groups of vocal reknown. You'll hear how good hard rock can be. How intelligence and melody can still sound heavy. If they had gotten a top 40 hit or video off this album, I say that instead of talking of Dream Theater or Queensryche, that most of the heavier prog fans would be raving about King's X. Alas, moderate success, critical raves, musicians' worship of their chops has meant a career. And finally, for what it's worth, if you like you music loud, and melodic, with variety in the sounds and styles without descending into a genre expose on a song by song basis, then please find it, borrow it , buy it. IT truly is that good. Hopefully, PA can make arrangements for a few MP3s from this album to give a glimpse as to what can be.

Send comments to debrewguy (BETA) | Report this review (#183257) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 22, 2008

4 stars I'm one of the few I guess who prefers their debut "Out Of The Silent Planet" to the fan favourite "Gretchen Goes To Nebraska". It's close though, but I find the more raw and aggressive sound of the debut wins out. The title of this record is like an analogy to the Christian's journey to heaven. The songs deal with the things we experience as we make our way to "Nebraska". They quote St.Augustine in the liner notes "for it is one thing to see the land of peace from a wooded ridge...and an another to tread the road that leads to it".

The first three tracks are simply amazing songs, and I would add "Pleiades" and "The Burning Down" as my top five on here. "Out Of The Silent Planet" is the first song and the title of the previous record. It opens with sitar before we get some laid back riffs and vocals. Love the lyrics.The riffs get heavier. This really must be heard to be appreciated. Powerful but restrained. More sitar late. "Over My Head" is an uptempo song that is so catchy. Turn it up ! This is lots of fun. Check out the words "Grandma used to sing, grandma used to sing, everynight while she was praying, over my head, over my head, I hear music oh Lord". Ty lights it up on the guitar while Doug screams out. "Summerland" has a nice heavy undercurrent to it with reserved vocals. Nice harmonies too. Chunky bass 1 1/2 minutes in as the guitar then vocals cry out. Nice. Lyrically it's about summer coming to an end, and about getting older. I can relate on both fronts guys. Incredible tune.

"Everybody Knows A Little Bit Of Something" features a heavy soundscape with what sounds like processed vocals. Raw guitar 2 minutes in as the tempo picks up. A good heavy ending with laughter. "The Difference" is lighter with acoustic guitar and harmonies. Special tune. "I'll Never Be The Same" has a good crunchy sound as the vocals join in. When the vocals stop 4 minutes in they step up the power a notch. "Mission" opens with pipe organ before a ton of bottom end takes over. This song is a rant against religious hypocrites and liars. There's a sample of a preacher doing his act on the stage. "Fall On Me" is better, I like the grinding guitar in this catchy, uptempo tune. It turns spacey 3 1/2 minutes in.

"Pleiades" features some big fat bass lines. The vocals are reserved, they sound so good. Powerful riffs before a minute are held back. They come and go.The instrumental section after 2 minutes to the end of the song is emotional for me. "Don't Believe It" is an encouraging song telling us not to give up. Not a big fan of this one really. "Send A Message" is better. "The Burning Down" is the final track and it's really a cry to God when things are going badly. Words like "Where are you tonight ? I don't seem to know you. No i'm not alright...my heart is nearly gone, not much left to offer".

A solid four stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#185089) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 09, 2008

Review by Chicapah
3 stars My son-in-law is a big fan of these guys and a host of proggers seem to enjoy their music so, out of curiosity and the lure of a relatively inexpensive investment, I bought "Gretchen Goes to Nebraska." I picked this album because it has the highest rating in their catalogue and pretty cool cover art, to boot. I figured if I wasn't impressed by their best then at least I'd be knowledgeable about who they are and what kind of sounds they manufacture.

After weeks of listening I was prepared to dismiss them as just another hard rock power plant with some slightly progressive tendencies but then I noticed the year this album was released and reassessed in a jiffy. The fact is that by 1989 the murderous MTV virus had thoroughly devastated Progland and had nearly wiped out the legacy of the innovative groups of the 60s and 70s, reducing our hallowed and once-noble genre to the status of a crippled vet strapped into a wheelchair on the street corner hawking cheap pens from a tin cup. Prog was on life support. Any band that even glanced in that direction had to covertly smuggle any smidgen of progressive character into their work as if they were shady secret agents, praying that the label fat cats wouldn't notice and thereby feel justified in tossing them out on their dumpsters. Especially a group based out of Texas! So, taking the whole ugly prog holocaust into consideration, I feel compelled to give these boys about 300 yards of leeway.

There's obviously a concept behind this recording but dang if I can comprehend what it is. There's an esoteric story for your reading pleasure in the liner about a girl named Gretchen on a spiritual quest to Nirvana, Nebraska (or thereabouts) but the convoluted tale comes off like it was written by committee because it continually veers off in several abstract directions and is as hard to follow as a movie by Fellini. I thought maybe the simpler lyrics would clarify things but they really don't. I'll give them this, though; the tracks are extremely tight and cohesive throughout, proving that they are a force to be reckoned with and a group to be taken seriously.

They open in a large way with "Out of the Silent Planet," one of the proggier songs on the album. A silky sitar chord strums, then their straightforward metallic power chord approach takes hold and boldly announces their arrival with gusto. Their fat, layered harmonies give the tune breadth and when the middle section drops into the wide open spaces for a spell with guitar and sitar whisperings streaming by one gets the feeling that great things are in store. Next up is "Over My Head" and, while it's little more than good old-fashioned drivin' rock & roll, it steams along like a locomotive on steroids and guitarist Ty Tabor's climactic chord that rings out on the end of the repeating riff is highly addictive. Lead singer/bassist Doug Pinnick has an Ian Gillian-type voice that's very appropriate here and the hot guitar solo is as fiery as a steel mill furnace. This is one catchy number, for sure, and its clap-along section must send their concert audiences into a frenzy. Lotsa fun.

"Summerland" is a half-time rocker built on a slick guitar pattern but it isn't terribly original by any stretch. The guitar break is pretty decent but Pinnick's overwrought vocal gets old fast. Styx-styled harmonies jump out of the gate for "Everybody Knows a Little Bit of Something" and Doug's eerie, compressed voice lends some mystery to the proceedings. Ty successfully fuses the spirit of Jimi Hendrix and Richie Blackmore on the lead and drummer Jerry Gaskill gets to showcase his admirable skills on the way to the end. Their attempt at producing an acoustic guitar-based ballad on "The Difference (in the garden of St. Anne's-on-the-hill)" falls miles short of the mark, however. Their three- part harmonies are pleasant enough but the song is just lame. Zzzzz. Things take an upswing immediately with the riff-heavy sledgehammer of a rockathon, "I'll Never be the Same." The thick background vocals fill the void splendidly and Tabor's passionate ride is exhilarating. But it's the powerful descending guitar/bass progression sizzling through the second half that makes the prog monster in me stand up and salute. It's mesmerizing, magnificent and you don't want it to stop.

The faint organ heard at the beginning of "Mission" promises more than it can deliver as it merely lulls the listener with false expectations. The group then barrels into a Cream-inspired arena that ventures perilously close to plagiarizing "White Room" in its basic essence. Doug strains his tortured soul-in- agony voice much too often for comfort and the fire-and-brimstone spoken interlude in the middle is woefully ineffective. Yet, in the midst of this churner they deliver one of their better phrases. "Who are these people behind the stained glass windows?/have they forgotten just what they came here for?/was it salvation or 'scared of Hell?'/or an assembly of a social get-together." they intone. "Fall On Me" is next and it's a speedy flier, by golly, but by now Pinnick's anguished vocals as he screams "pain, don't fall on me" are becoming downright. well, painful. Ty comes through with yet another soaring solo (this dude has some amazing chops) before they drift into a semi-psychedelic segment that might've gone somewhere intriguing had they not cut it so short. "Pleiades" is a slower-paced dirge of a tune that at least gives you a break from Doug's hysterics. Either Tabor or Gaskill are responsible for the smoother and more-under-control singing and Ty's guitar has a nice blend of crispness joined with grit running underneath as it slowly rises above writhing, demonic cries wafting up from below.

"Don't Believe It (it's easier said than done)" is a treat. Its Trapeze-like hardcore riff is infectious, they throw in plenty of smart accents on the memorable chorus to keep the energy flowing and Tabor's brief harmony guitar lead is right out of the Blackmore school of fills. But just a few seconds into "Send a Message" you realize that this trio is getting to be disturbingly predictable at this juncture. The tune suffers from acute sounds-the-same syndrome and is virtually indistinguishable from the majority of the cuts that came before. Ty shreds out another barnburner of a guitar break but even that can't save this sub-par ditty. Thank heaven the progressive cavalry arrives just in the nick of time for the closer, "The Burning Down." Jerry's military snare gives the track a different flair and the calmer voice of reason sliding atop the excellent background harmonies is like a lungful of pure oxygen. They wisely find the patience to elongate the spacey finale, adorning it with echoing, volume-pedal-enhanced guitar whiffs of smoke to create a wonderful floating sensation. If only more of the album was like this. But, then again, in anti-prog '89 it may never have seen the light of day if that was the case.

I like these fellas in a kind of Deep Purple-meets-Rush kind of way but I can only recommend it if you're one solidly into the power trio motif. An occasional keyboard would have been beneficial and might have offered some needed variety but that's just me. The plain truth is that in those dark days only a handful of bands like King's X were courageous enough to raise the crumpled and charred colors of progressive rock when doing so risked ridicule and scorn from the zombie-like, pop-pacified, video- obsessed public in the late 80s and they should be honored for their bravery. 2.9 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#207305) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 15, 2009

Review by obiter
4 stars How to review an album with almost a zillion songs... well 12 How do you describe that sound and feel that you jsut know when it's Floyd or Genesis of Yes. Well, I suppose that's one of the tihings with King's X. Their sound is so distinctive. Bass I can't find a comrator. The guitar at times reminds me of Simple Minds or Rush or ... well whatever ..

The vocals .. well that's simply Pinnick although if you search Goldilox on youtube you;ll find the crowd filling in competely.

I think this is a great album but it's not essential: Faith Hope Love is. And, I suppose once you listen to Faith Hope Love you think this album is needed. That's how I did it. This is a band that creeps on you. Start with FHL and then the rest follow.

Pleiades, the difference and out of the silent plant are great, surely enough to justify purchasing the album but merely a hin of what FHL has in store.

Enjoy.

Send comments to obiter (BETA) | Report this review (#500785) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Review by Warthur
2 stars For me, this album is a big fat pile of I Don't Get It. I find the production lukewarm, the performances uninspiring, and the overall aesthetic and atmosphere insipid and irritating. A few attempts here and there at Beatles-like vocal harmonies don't amount to much; nor does an attempt to make the guitars sound a little like sitars. And when the band do attempt to rock out, it just sounds like ugly 80s hair metal. On the balance, the album exhibits everything I find distasteful about hard rock and is perhaps one of the most deeply uninteresting musical experiences I have ever endured.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#975383) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 10, 2013

4 stars For the best part of ........... well, since this album was released..... I have tried to really get into this band. I have bought most of their albums. But I have so far failed to crack this nut. Gretchen Goes to Nebraska is the second album from King's X. Their debut album detonated in the ... (read more)

Report this review (#308126) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Wednesday, November 03, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I am ashamed to admit that I bought this cassette back in 1989 because of a quote by Jon Bon Jovi in an ad for this album in which he predicted King's X would fill stadiums one day. I am not ashamed to admit that my love for the music of Bon Jovi remained stuck in 1990, but my love for this albu ... (read more)

Report this review (#266545) | Posted by sixpence-guy | Tuesday, February 16, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Wow, I can't believe it's been 20 years since I first heard this album. I was a die-hard rock/metal fan up until that moment. I am dead serious. This album single-handedly changed my taste in music. I still love rocking out, but I never had the feeling like I was being taken on a wonderful musical ... (read more)

Report this review (#183150) | Posted by methodic_progression | Sunday, September 21, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars From the droning sitar of the opening track, Out of the Silent Planet, to the huge dissonant pipe organ chord that is struck in the intro of Mission, there is something truly mystical and magical about Gretchen Goes to Nebraska, the second album by the Texas trio King's X. The title itself, whic ... (read more)

Report this review (#183144) | Posted by jimidom | Sunday, September 21, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KING'S X "Gretchen Goes to Nebraska"