LAZARUS BIRD

Burst Lazarus Bird  album cover

Buy BURST Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

1. I Hold Vertigo (7:15)
2. I Exterminate the I (6:57)
3. We Are Dust (7:11)
4. Momentum (4:33)
5. Cripple God (6:41)
6. Nineteenhundred (7:53)
7. (We Watched) The Silver Rain (9:50)
8. City Cloaked (9:21)

Search BURST Lazarus Bird lyrics

Search BURST Lazarus Bird tabs

- Linus Jägerskog / Vocals
- Robert Reinholdz / Guitar and Vocals
- Jonas Rydberg / Guitar
- Jesper Liveröd / Bass
- Patrik Hultin / Drums

Recorded and mixed in Studio Bohussound, Kungälv, Sweden, April-May 2008.
Produced by: Burst and Fredrik Reinedahl
Released on the 22nd of September 2008.
Label: Relapse Records
Design by Orion Landau
Saxophone on Nineteenhundred by Ulf Eriksson

Thanks to UMUR for the addition

BURST MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BURST Lazarus Bird Music

Lazarus BirdLazarus Bird
MRI 2008

More places to buy BURST music online Buy BURST & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BURST DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BURST Lazarus Bird ratings distribution

BURST Lazarus Bird reviews

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Lazarus Bird is one of those albums that I almost have to trip over before I remember I own it. But whenever I remember I do I'm stunned how good it is. Long intricate songs with techical and progressive riffs, and with melodies that are both complex and catchy enough to grant endured enjoyment. There's also lots of varations between aggressive parts and slightly spacey moody sections. Somewhere betwen Mastodon and Alchemist maybe?

I guess the reason why I need to be pushed to listen are the dry hardcore shouted vocals which are not my favorite unfortunately. It depens on my mood but somehow they come off as too one-dimensional, missing the diversity of a regular melodic voice and also lacking the fear, depression, madness and other jolly moods that death or blackmetal vocals seem to conjure up. But hey, it's nothing business, it's personal.

Another criticism I tend to have on my bad days is that these guys have difficulty convincing me of their proper identity, sounding exactly like 75% Mastodon and 'something else' for the remainder of the time. The two don't always interact to create a personal sound. Symptomatic is the track 'Cripple God', which consists of Mastodon for 4'40'' and then a nice spacey outro of 2 minutes that could have been from Alchemist or Pink Floyd but that has nothing to do with the rest of the song. Other songs like 'City Cloaked' merge their two sides more successfully.

Luckily for the band I don't have a bad today so I could fully enjoy their many strengths, as in fact, I believe they're better then Mastodon, if only for not annoying us with nasal clean vocals. Great album!

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#245352) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Lazarus Bird' - Burst (8/10)

The fifth album by this interesting act in progressive metal, Burst originally began as a much rawer hardcore/metalcore act, but has since moved down a more complex and progressive path with their music. 'Lazarus Bird' is the first I had heard of this Swedish ensemble. Like many other bands in progressive metal ironically, Burst will easily draw some comparisons to other bands' sounds from the first listen onwards, but for what it may lack in distinct sound, it makes up in sheer power and energy. Although I have enjoyed very little metalcore I have listened to in the past, it is clear with 'Lazarus Bird' that Burst has risen beyond the confines of that genre to become something much greater. Put simply; 'Lazarus Bird' is an excellent album.

The sound here amounts to an organic mixture of riff-oriented metal, jazz, and complex song structures. While this pairing has been seen countless times before now, Burst distinguishes themselves by how well they merge the two into a cohesive sound. While some (quite famous) bands in progressive metal do tend switch between heavy and light moments to create a sense of dynamic in the music, the two are usually kept fairly distinct from each other. Burst can move from a sludgy riff barrage to a jazzy post-rock build up, and it feels completely natural. However, the quieter, more subtle side of 'Lazarus Bird' does shine quite a bit more than the metallic element. While the crunchy riffs and somewhat tired metalcore-derived shouts have their place and are quite above average for their style, the jazz aspect of Burst is quite a bit more interesting, keeping things both progressive yet melodic and beautiful to listen to.

Be that as it may, there is quite a bit of meat on the bones of the heavy sections. Although things usually amount to sludgy riffs, the songwriting stays tight, and need one even mention the drumming, which is quite simply excellent and greatly fitting of the style that Burst plays. At times there is a sense of rhythmic experimentation, but usually the progressive spirit of Burst is kept in the intensely successful dynamics. When drawing comparisons to the sounds of other bands, there is one that stands out more than any other, and a band I was constantly reminded of when listening to 'Lazarus Bird'. In virtually every aspect of Burst's sludgy element, they sound like a carbon copy of the American band Mastodon. Even though it feels like Burst does this style even better than Mastodon, the fact that Burst has not yet identified themselves with a truly unique sound makes it that much more difficult to regard 'Lazarus Bird' as a masterpiece, even though it has plenty of potential to be one.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#452558) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 27, 2011

5 stars Lazarus Bird represents a new wave in the tech/extreme metal side of prog. While maintaining a classic style of hardcore from previous releases they bring to the table a fresh outlook providing jazz guitar solos, single instrument sections and tranquill clean singing. What the listener first no ... (read more)

Report this review (#203619) | Posted by Metal_Style | Wednesday, February 18, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Lazarus Bird represents a new wave in the tech/extreme metal side of prog. While maintaining a classic style of hardcore from previous releases they bring to the table a fresh outlook providing jazz guitar solos, single instrument sections and tranquill clean singing. What the listener first ... (read more)

Report this review (#201848) | Posted by Metalstyle | Thursday, February 05, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is prime progressive metal genius. There are long compositions with unorthodox and extraordinary approaches to songwriting. The album is brilliantly crafted, there is no doubt about it. The only problem some might have is the lack of clean vocals, but otherwise, the album is exceptiona ... (read more)

Report this review (#199384) | Posted by bighugejake | Friday, January 16, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Not too long ago I picked up a friend on a Sunday afternoon. He and I share musical tastes, except for the fact that he will listen Dimmu and Cradle of Filth all day long where as I would rather listen to Opeth. But that's another story altogether. He started talking about this Burnt By The Sun ... (read more)

Report this review (#194023) | Posted by Oxpocket | Wednesday, December 17, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BURST "Lazarus Bird "