S & M

Good, but non-essential

Buy METALLICA Music
Live, released in 1999

Disc 1
1. The Ecstasy of Gold (2:31)
2. The Call of Ktulu (9:34)
3. Master of Puppets (8:55)
4. Of Wolf and Man (4:19)
5. The Thing That Should Not Be (7:27)
6. Fuel (4:36)
7. The Memory Remains (4:42)
8. No Leaf Clover (previously unreleased) (5:43)
9. Hero of the Day (4:45)
10. Devil's Dance (5:26)
11. Bleeding Me (9:02)

Disc 2
1. Nothing Else Matters (6:47)
2. Until It Sleeps (4:30)
3. For Whom the Bell Tolls (4:52)
4. -Human (previously unreleased) (4:20)
5. Wherever I May Roam (7:02)
6. Outlaw Torn (9:59)

- Jason Newsted / bass, backing vocals
- Lars Ulrich / drums, percussion

- Michael Kamen / conductor

San Francisco Symphony:
- Eric Achen, Joshua Garrett, Douglas Hull, Jonathan Ring, Bruce Roberts, Robert Ward, James Smelser / French horns
- David Teie (principal), Richard Andaya, Barara Bogatin, Jill Rachuy Brindel, David Goldblatt / cello
- Jeremy Constant (concertmaster), Daniel Banner, Enrique Bocedi, Paul Brancato, Catherine Down, Bruce Freifeld, Connie Gantsweg, Michael Gerling,
Frances Jeffrey, Judiyaba, Yukiko Kamei, Naomi Kazama, Kum Mo Kim, Yasuko Hattori, Melissa Kleinbart, Chumming Mo Kobialka, Daniel Kobialka, Rudolph Kremer,
Kelly Leon-Pearce, Diane Nicholeris, Florin Parvulescu, Anne Pinsker, Victor Romasevich, Philip Santos, Peter Shelton / violins
- Chris Bogios, Glenn Fischthal, Andrew McCandless, Craig Morris / trumpets
- Steven Braunstein, Stephen Paulson, Rob Weir / bassoons
- Charles Chandler, Laurence Epstein, Chris Gilbert, William Ritchen, Stephen Tramontozzi, S. Mark Wright / double basses
- Anthony J. Cirone, Ray Froelich, Thomas Hemphill, Artie Storch / percussion
- Don Ehrlich, Gina Feinauer, David Gaudry, Christina King, Yun Jie Liu, Seth Mausner, Nanci Severance, Geraldine Walther / violas
- John Engelkes, Tom Hornig, Paul Welcomer, Jeff Budin / trombones
- Gayle Levant / harp
- Marc Shapiro - piano, keyboards
- Peter Wahrhaftig - tuba

Elektra Records / Vertigo Records

Thanks to PROGMAN for the addition

METALLICA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy METALLICA S & M Music

Rhino Blackened 2013
METALLICA - GREATEST HITS 2 CDMETALLICA - GREATEST HITS 2 CD
LoadLoad
13STAR RECORDS 2013
Metallica Through The Never (Music From The Motion Picture)Metallica Through The Never (Music From The Motion Picture)
Blackened Recordings 2013
Slayer "Diabolus In Musica" 2x LP VG vinyl Metallica Megadeth Exodus OOP Orig US $49.99 Buy It Now 38m 23s
ZZ CD ALBUM..METALLICA..RIDE THE LIGHTING US $10.98 Buy It Now 1h
METALLICA kill em all LP 1983 BERNETT / FRENCH PRESS red label US $65.00 Buy It Now 1h
ZZ CD ALBUM..METALLICA..LOAD US $10.98 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Metallica Through The Never Record Store Day RSD Vinyl LP1417/4000 Bonus Poster US $69.99 [0 bids]
METALLICA MASTER OF PUPPETS JAPAN CD 2500yen 25DP US $36.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
live concert very small mini poster print A5 size US $16.11 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Load by Metallica (CD, Jun-1996, Elektra Label). LIKE NEW CONDITION. US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 35m
RADIO SHOW: JUKEBOX EXPOSION 220 IRON MAIDEN, AC/DC, METALLICA, STYX,DEEP PURPLE US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Metallica: And Justice for All 2x12" (new) US $34.80 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Metallica: Ride the Lightning 12" US $22.20 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Metallica: Kill Em All 12" US $27.60 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Metallica ROAMING IN ITALY 17-11-1992 Rare 2 CD Music Set TESTED Live In Milano US $74.99 [0 bids]
ZZ CD ALBUM....METALLICA....RELOAD US $10.98 Buy It Now 2h 6m
BRAND NEW METALLICA "THE UNFORGIVEN II 2" JAPAN LTD MAXI-SINGLE 6 TRACKS OBI US $23.79 [0 bids]
Metallica And Godsmack In Concert Westwood One Radio Show 4 Cds !!!!!! US $3.26 [2 bids]
METALLICA Enter Sandman Vol 4 CD ? Live World Tour 1993 US $17.52 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Metallica Live At Grimey's 2x10" SEALED M US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 33m
METALLICA - S/T : THE BLACK ALBUM CD ~ NOTHING ELSE MATTER~ENTER SANDMAN *NEW* US $19.31 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Dream Theater - Images And Words 2 LP Vinyl Metallica, Rush, Megadeth, Slayer US $100.00 Buy It Now 2h 42m
(3) Metallica Cassette Singles plus ( 1 ) Bonus Rare Megadeth Promo Single US $12.95 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Metallica Master of Puppets US Test Pressing LP Elektra 1986 Rare Mint- Unplayed US $765.00 [7 bids]
US $1,995.00 Buy It Now
METALLICA DEATH MGNETIC SPECIAL RUSSIA EDITION UNIVERSAL US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 51m
METALLICA POSTER "DEATH MAGNETIC" LICENSED "BRAND NEW" JAMES HATEFIELD, L ULRICH US $10.50 Buy It Now 2h 53m
METALLICA - Reload US $5.50 [0 bids]
METALLICA Kill Em All PATCH Official NEW US $7.02 Buy It Now 3h 17m
METALLICA Ride The Lightning PATCH Official NEW US $7.02 Buy It Now 3h 17m
METALLICA Master Of Puppets PATCH Official NEW US $7.02 Buy It Now 3h 18m
METALLICA - Black Album:T-shirt - NEW - SMALL ONLY US $26.34 Buy It Now 3h 52m
Metallica framed Limited Ed signed CD Photo Display Set US $74.66 Buy It Now 4h 18m
METALLICA Band Signed x 4 Hand Signed LP + PAAS COA MF014041 US $613.97 Buy It Now 4h 26m
MEGADEATH 1990 EUROPEAN TOURVintage T-Shirt EXODUS SLAYER Iron Maiden Metallica US $119.00 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Metallica- One - Special Collectors Ltd Ed Framed 24KT Gold Record Memorabila. US $140.54 Buy It Now 4h 47m
The Blackest Album 4: An Industrial Tribute To Metallica Japan(Promo)CD W/OBI US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 13m
METALLICA - METALLICA: DVD COLLECTOR'S BOX (2PC) NEW DVD US $28.20 Buy It Now 5h 18m
Metallica Master of Puppets lp new vinyl US $29.99 Buy It Now 5h 26m
METALLICA JUMP IN THE FIRE 12" SINGLE EXCELLENT CONDITION US $39.53 [0 bids]
METALLICA BREADFAN 12 " VINYL US $43.91 [0 bids]
METALLICA S & M S & M PICTURE DISC 12 " like new condition US $48.31 [0 bids]
METALLICA ONE 12" SINGLE EXCELLENT CONDITION US $43.91 [0 bids]
Metallica - Beyond Magnetic 4 Track EP CD Single US $7.86 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Reload by Metallica (CD, Nov-1997, PolyGram México) US $5.99 [0 bids]
METALLICA (DAVE MUSTAINE) NIGHT OF THE RIVVIT-HEADS CD BOOTLEG 1982-1983 US $19.99 [0 bids]
METALLICA EMBROIDERED IRON ON PATCH HEAVY METAL BAND MUSIC US $3.21 Buy It Now 7h 36m
Metallica - Creeping Death Jump in the Fire - South African CD *New* MMTCD1747 US $21.00 Buy It Now 7h 41m
METALLICA TRIBUTE: NONE BLACKER / VARIOUS NEW CD US $19.23 Buy It Now 7h 49m
RARE METALLICA Original Football Jersey Tour Shirt US $77.41 [0 bids]
Metallica - Kill 'Em All (cassette) NO insert US $3.99 [0 bids]
8h
METALLICA Master Of Puppets 20th Anniversary Kerrang Tribute CD Album US $4.86 [2 bids]
8h
METALLICA LOAD DRAGON SLAYER PROMO FROM 1997 12" PIC DIC US $70.27 [0 bids]
METALLICA WHEREVER WE MAY ROAM TOUR PIC DIC US $105.40 [0 bids]
METALLICA JUMP IN THE FIRE 12" PICTURE DISC US $131.75 [0 bids]
METALLICA - CREEPING DEATH 12" - MFN 1984 - CV 12 KUT 112 - BLUE VINYL! US $79.99 Buy It Now 8h 27m
METALLICA:Dealer:T-shirt NEW:SMALL ONLY US $26.34 Buy It Now 8h 34m
FLOTSAM AND JETSAM - DREAMS OF DEATH CD METALLICA, EXODUS, PANTERA, TESTAMENT US $10.00 [0 bids]
METALLICA:Dealer:T-shirt NEW:MEDIUM ONLY US $26.34 Buy It Now 8h 35m
METALLICA-MASTER OF PUPPETS-JAPAN SHM-CD E50 US $23.50 Buy It Now 8h 41m
Death Magnetic by Metallica (CD, Sep-2008, Warner Bros.) US $4.00 [0 bids]
Until It Sleeps [Single] by Metallica (CD, May-1996, Elektra (Label)) US $5.00 [0 bids]
St. Anger [PA] by Metallica (CD, Jun-2003, Elektra (Label)) US $4.00 [0 bids]
Metallica by Metallica (CD, Aug-1991, Elektra (Label)) US $4.00 [0 bids]
Reload by Metallica (CD, Nov-1997, Elektra (Label)) US $4.00 [0 bids]
Load [PA] by Metallica (CD, Jun-1996, Elektra (Label)) US $4.00 [0 bids]
S&M [PA] by Metallica (CD, Nov-1999, 2 Discs, Elektra (Label)) US $4.00 [0 bids]
Load [PA] by Metallica (CD, Jun-1996, Elektra (Label)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
METALLICA - AND JUSTICE FOR ALL :CD ALBUM US $9.66 Buy It Now 8h 54m
Metallica poster 40cm x60 cm US $9.66 [0 bids]
Metallica Live "Out Now" 2000 Magazine Advert #210 US $8.05 Buy It Now 9h 2m
Metallica Interview Picture Disc CD Heavy Metal 1986 Lars Ulrich BakTaBak RARE US $8.00 [0 bids]
Glastonbury 2014 Sticker Set! Metallica, Arcade Fire, Pixies, M.I.A lana del rey US $12.90 Buy It Now 9h 36m
PANTERA "VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER" VERY HARD TO FIND JAPAN PRESS 1992 METALLICA US $40.31 [0 bids]
METALLICA "CREEPING DEATH + JUMP IN THE FIRE" VERY HARD TO FIND VERTIGO GERMANY US $25.79 [0 bids]
METALLICA - I DISAPPEAR 1-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD SINGLE CS254 # US $17.99 Buy It Now 9h 45m
metallica - the unforgiven german cd single rare US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 3m
METALLICA "Creeping Life" Picture disc Rare US $65.00 [0 bids]
S&M [PA] by Metallica (CD, Nov-1999, 2 Discs, Elektra (Label)) US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 8m
Lot of 4 Metallica Cassettes Garage Inc Vol I & 2 And S&M US $14.99 [0 bids]
METALLICA - Metallica Live At Grimey's (Record Store Day release) - 2xLP US $37.89 Buy It Now 10h 25m
Metallica CD Single The Memory Remains 3 Tracks 1997 UK Import US $4.99 [0 bids]
METALLICA - GARAGE INC.: 2CD ALBUM SET US $14.50 Buy It Now 10h 29m
Metallica Master Of Puppets new Official Textile Poster 75cm x 110cm US $12.08 Buy It Now 10h 29m
Metallica Kill Em All new Official Textile Poster 75cm x 110cm US $12.08 Buy It Now 10h 30m
Metallica St Anger logo new Official Textile Poster 75cm x 110cm US $12.08 Buy It Now 10h 30m
Metallica And Justice For All new Official Textile Poster 75cm x 110cm US $12.08 Buy It Now 10h 30m
Metallica Ride The Lightning new Official Textile Poster 75cm x 110cm US $12.08 Buy It Now 10h 30m
Metallica - An Interview With Lars Ulrich (LP) Red vinyl US $25.79 Buy It Now 10h 33m
Metallica So What Fan Club Mag - Vol 15 No 3 - 2008 US $1.60 [0 bids]
Metallica So What Fan Club Mag - Vol 15 No 4 - 2008 US $1.60 [0 bids]
METALLICA - Flaming Skull:T-shirt NEW:XXLARGE ONLY US $26.34 Buy It Now 10h 34m

More places to buy METALLICA music online Buy METALLICA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for METALLICA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

METALLICA S & M ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(25%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(28%)

METALLICA S & M reviews

Review by Gatot
5 stars Actually, this was the first CD I purchased from Metallica because a prog friend of mine told me that this album is definitely prog. He mentioned that anyone who listens to this album would change his / her perception about Metallica. As I was not familiar with the music of Metallica, I bought this double CD album based on his recommendation. He's right, this album is totally progressive symphonic in its best. I was astonished by the first two tracks and in fact I did play them many times without even continuing to the next track because I was already satisfied with these two tracks. It blew me away at first spin of the CD. In fact, I then purchased the DVD of this live concert and made me totally satisfied with how great the heavy metal music blended beautifully with symphonic orchestra conducted by Michael Kamen.

By the time I am writing this review, I got only familiar with two albums of Metallica, i.e. ".And Justice for All" and "Black" album, plus a bit of "Master of Puppets" from Dream Theater version, instead of Metallica original recording. So, you can imagine that I am really newbie in Metallica. In fact, until now I have not heard the original version of the first two tracks "The Ecstasy of Gold" and "The Call of Ktulu" which blew me away at first listen.

Symphonic Orchestra at par excellent with Yes Symphonic

Combining orchestra and rock music has not been something new for me as I first knew it through Jon Lord's Window and Deep Purple Concerto for Group and Orchestra and later there was also Yes Symphonic. If you refer to my review in Yes Symphonic, I remember that I put full five star rating. So is the case with this "S & M" by Metallica. Both albums share similar style, i.e. combining rock music with symphonic orchestra, performed live. The major difference is the fact that Yes music is by nature already symphonic while Metallica is pure metal band with no symphonic touch. So that what makes me amused to this album by Metallica because Michael Kamen has demonstrated his brilliant talent putting together what best of orchestra music with what it can synergize with the heavy side of rock music. I really admire his genius in making such great blend like this live set.

All tracks performed here are excellent, even though I am not that familiar with the original version. Metallica still can perform their music loudly while Michael Kamen works his way to find where in the musical segments that he can intervene his brilliant orchestral work and everything sounds truly great to me. I cannot find any track that is lackluster here. It's probably the original version is not good but when the orchestra arrangement is added, it sounds truly great. I really enjoy this album. If you are not familiar with the loud and heavy nature of Metallica, follow my recommebdation: you should start with "The Ecstasy of Gold" (2:31) which serves as an overture of the concert. You can find here the grandiose composition dominated by orchestral maneuver by Kamen with great live vibes. The opening part of "The Call of Ktulu" (9:34) is really catchy and it might make tears flowing down from your eyes. The combination of string arrangement and Hammet's guitar fills is truly catchy and you can not deny that this is great piece of music with soft touch. When it enters minute 1:01 the bass guitar and drums start to roll with the music and it flows beautifully augmented with really nice string arrangements. The crowd shout creates great live vibes. The music moves in crescendo and it sounds louder and heavier. It's about time you put your amplifier's volume in louder position to get full subtleties of the music. Oh my God . I am totally nggeblak! man ..!!! This is really a greaaaaaaat instrumental piece of all time! The guitar solo by Hammett and Hetfield are great. I love the guitar solo at approximately minute 4:20. It's really stunning! Kirk Hammet rules! The next track "Master of Puppets" (8:55) is also great!

Overall, this is the same standard of Yes Symphonic and I cannot afford not to give five stars rating - a masterpiece of symphonic and metal work! Keep on proggin' .!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#186442) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 19, 2008

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Metallica with orchestra, not a bad combination at all!

This is a very popular band that came to my ears since i was a little kid, because it is my uncle's favourite band so i used to go out with him a lot and of course most of the time we listened to Metallica, they have never been one of my favourite bands, not at all, but someday they made great music and some of their songs will be held in my mind forever. Well so i remember vividly i was very keen with their newest album which happened to be a live album, but not just that, but a live album with a symphonic orchestra, so i was curious to know what was it about and bought the album in the week it was released here in Mexico.

And i was happy with it, nowadays i can say i enjoy listening to this album, though i dont really do it that frequently, but i believe the inclusion of the orchestra was a great and correct decision, something kind of new to the old thrash metal band, a soft and classical sound included in their fast and aggressive music, was a nice combination, in my humble point of view, and you know, i am not the best metal follower around here, so that may be a reason why i liked the album, due to the symphonic orchestra sound.

So besides the previously said, what you will find in this double CD live album released in 1999 is a performance of most of the better known Metallica songs played of course by them, as they use to do it, accompannied with an orchestra led by Michael Kamen and offering more than 2 hours of their music.

The first album CD is opened with a intro of a song from The Good, The bad and The Ugly performed by the orchestra, and leading to the beginning of Metallica's music with of my favourite songs, The Call of Ktulu which is instrumental, and then to the surprise of the people they follow with Master of Puppets one of the best songs they have created, so the concert's beginning is actually a bomb, excellent, after those songs you can foresee a great concert.

Well some other great moments or favourite songs from that first cd are The Thing that SHould not Be, Memory Remains or the last one Bleeding Me, they also included two unreleased tracks, the first one in this CD, No Leaf Clover.

And the second CD, opens with Nothing Else Matters, you know, a catchy song and my favourite moments are For Whom the Bell Tolls, One and Battery, honestly i prefer much more the first CD, here there are moments where i get bored, but after all it is a nice second cd.

So it's a very good live album, for Metallica fans, a must having, for beginners, also a nice recommendation, and for prog fans, it may be nice to have one more album in your collection, prog moments here are minimum.

My rating would be 4 stars, but in this site, i think 3 are good enough.

Enjoy it!!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#209766) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 02, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
2 stars 'S & M' - Metallica (4/10)

The idea of having Metallica's generally raw and energetic music combined with an entire symphonic orchestra is an amazing concept, to say the least. In theory, the added dimension would shed a whole new light on the music the band composed and created.

For the most part, it failed to meet much of my high expectation, which is a real shame, because something really amazing could have been done here.

For starters; while Michael Kamen is undeniably a musical prodigy as far as arranging and conducting goes, alot of the symphonic arrangements here really don't do much to make the songs better, they just overlap a bit thoughtlessly, except for the occasional moment of brilliance, such as the gorgeous opening to 'Battery.'

While I've never been a fan of James Hetfield in any capacity, he really seems to bug me here. His vocal inflections and constant addiction to throwing in a 'hell yeah!' into every break gets on my nerves. Some may constrew that as being 'showmanship,' but it doesn't pass me as being any more than irritating, and it really seems to make the performance lose some of the class it could have had.

While I can understand that the live performance was recorded during the bands 'Load/Reload' period, I wish there could have been less songs from those albums here. Symphonic touch- ups do not make for a good replacement in contrast to good songwriting.

There are some good parts on the album though. The epic 'One,' 'Battery,' and 'Master Of Puppets' are all done well. The highlight of the album would probably be the instrumental 'Call Of Ktulu,' which actually works suprisingly well with orchestration.

Despite the high-points, it's not great, and while I am very tempted to give it three stars, there's far too much dissapointment here to warrant it. If you're looking for something along these lines (rock/metal infused with symponic orchestra) then turn to Pain of Salvation's 'Be' record or Nightwish's 'Dark Passion Play.'

This could have been so much better... Like many great concepts, this one is executed poorly.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#224029) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Even though Metallica took a lengthy break from studio albums it didn't mean they where completely inactive towards the end of the '90s. Their 1998 cover-compilation titled Garage Inc. was a pretty uninspired release that still managed to sell a hefty chunk of copies, proving to the investors that the Metallica brand still had a big selling potential.

The idea of combining a symphony orchestra with a Metal band has been around for quite some time and finally came to fulfillment in 1999 where Metallica performed with San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. The performance of this live event was carefully documented as both a video concert but also as live release simply titled Symphony and Metallica, more known for its semi-perverted abbreviation S & M.

I was really hyped about this live release because I hoped that playing with an orchestra would spark new creativity in Metallica which unfortunately has been missing for more than a decade. After listening to this album for the first time I could already spot what the basic problem with it was; Metallica should have gone for more of their earlier energetic songs instead of spreading out the repertoire between all the albums. This is especially noticeable when the band leans towards the ballads since the orchestral arrangements there only try to increase the momentum of those compositions instead of adding new exciting arrangements like they so masterfully did on compositions like Master Of Puppets or Battery.

The great song structures of the band's early material seemed to be a real treat for Michael Kamen and his staff to arrange since they clearly made those songs spark more than the material from Black Album, Load or Reload. Or maybe it's just because the later albums are not as orchestra-friendly? As the result of my critique I only truly enjoyed three songs on this release while the rest wobbled somewhere in the good and semi-decent territory.

I'm sure that people who usually aren't big fans of Metallica could get into this album more than the classic era fans since ballads like Nothing Else Matters sound cheesier than ever here. As for me, I definitely don't dislike Symphony and Metallica but don't consider it a great live album either.

***** star songs: The Call Of Ktulu (9:34) Master Of Puppets (8:55) Battery (7:25)

**** star songs: The Ecstasy Of Gold (2:31) The Thing That Should Not Be (7:27) Fuel (4:36) The Memory Remains (4:42) No Leaf Clover (5:43) Bleeding Me (9:02) Nothing Else Matters (6:47) Until It Sleeps (4:30) For Whom The Bell Tolls (4:52) Outlaw Torn (9:59) One (7:53) Enter Sandman (7:39)

*** star songs: Of Wolf And Man (4:19) Hero Of The Day (4:45) Devil's Dance (5:26) -Human (4:20) Wherever I May Roam (7:02) Sad But True (5:46)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#296011) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Review by friso
4 stars Metallica - S&M (1999)

I'm quite surprised by the negative comments on this album on PA. This is the most progressive record Metallica made and also the most symphonic (perhaps the only symphonic). Metallica plays there best of accompanied by this big orchestra that sounds amazing! The recording of this live album is very good. Some might argue that the band is a bit blown away by the orchestra, but I think it's a reasonable mix.

For this album a score was written over the original Metallica tracks that influence the mood of the songs quite much. Most passages sound more bombastic, more melodic and the boring metal passages (some might disagree) are filled up with great melodic lines of the orchestra. The vocals of Hatfield are perfect and the other band-members play very good too.

Now, this album isn't totally perfect. I'm willing to say that there are perhaps three less interesing songs. The big problem is however the totally mistaked composition of the orchestra's score on the second cd. On tracks like For Whom the Bell Tolls, Sad but True and Enter Sandman among other the orchestra kind of distorts the songs and make them un- interesting. The main themes and rhythms aren't followed and the cohesiveness is low. But hey, still most of the material is very wel arranged. On cd 1 and Nothing Else Matters, One and Battery of cd 2 the arrangements of the orchestra are very very good. I'd even say Amazing.

This prestigious live album of Metallica is my favorite of the band and I do think this has been a good project. Cd one is very strong and cd two has some more great material (and some weaker material). The sound is great, the composition of the orchestra's score inventive and on most songs it's a great addition to the rough songs. Four and a halve stars well deserved! Recommended to fans of the symphonic metal genre, and perhaps the fans of the symphonic rock genre who can't usually appriciate metal will find this to be an oasis.

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#303312) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 11, 2010

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars This is the ultimate exercise in excess, to marry Metallica with a Symphony orchestra.

It has been done before of course with Deep Purple and other metal acts. It is almost becoming a cliche of late with many bands taking up the idea including Kiss, Within Temptation, Dream Theater and Therion. Non metal acts have done it such as Camel, Yes and ELP. The weird thing about it is these orchestral and rock marriages always work for me. I love to hear that massive orchestral sound with the crunching distortion of guitars. To hear a violin sweep across when you expect a guitar solo is bliss to my ears.

It is refreshing to hear music you love played in a different way. And Metallica do it so well. Master of Puppets is more dramatic than ever. The Thing That Should Not Be is incredible. The Memory Remains sounds iconic with audience participation. Nothing Else Matters is absolutely stunning. For Whom the Bell Tolls sounds very Gothic with the sweeping violins, and the song One is a masterpiece with the orchestral accompaniment.

None of the songs are less heavy, they are rather augmented to majestic heights. Watching this concert live is an even better experience of course but this is still very listenable, and perhaps a pinnacle of the group's existence. Soon after it all turned sour as we know, but it is so great to see Metallica at the height of their powers as we do in S & M. The progressive sound is great too with the orchestra, I don't know why there are haters of this album, it really is a fantastic achievement by all involved. It should not have worked but it does!

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#523791) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 15, 2011

Review by UMUR
2 stars "S&M" is a live album release by US rock/metal act Metallica. The album was released in November 1999 through Elektra/Vertigo. Itīs quite a massive release containing two CDs, both of which feature over an hour of music. "S&M" is not your "regular" live album release with the band playing in front of a cheering audience. On this release Metallica have teamed up with composer/conducter Michael Kamen and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra to perform a hybrid metal/symphony orchestra version of some of the groupīs most popular compositions. In addition to featuring select songs from all studio albums spanning "Ride the Lightning (1984)" through "ReLoad (1997)", "S&M" also features two new compositions in "No Leaf Clover" and "-Human" and "The Ecstasy of Gold" by Ennio Morricone. The latter composition has been used as intro to Metallicaīs shows for many years and appear here in an orchestral version that also works as an intro. The album was recorded on April 21?22, 1999 at Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley, California.

The merging of rock/metal group and symphonic orchestra has been done before, but I guess Metallica couldnīt pass on the opportunity when they were presented with the idea. And itīs easy to understand why. Hearing your own compositions accompanied by a symphonic orchestra isnīt something that happens every day. Not even for a band like Metallica.

The result is a mixed bag though. Metallica deliver a decent performance, but as usual James Hetfield couldnīt hit a clean note if it came up and bit him in the ass. His performance here is sloppy and unfocused. The merging of rock/metal band and symphony orchestra doesnīt work very well either. Most of the time it sounds like the band playing their thing and the orchestra having a completely different agenda, playing some film score thing that doesnīt go very well with what the band plays. itīs especially bad in the older more thrashy tracks while the orchestra fit sligthly better on the more recent material. Overall the orchestra is a major distraction though and an even bigger power killer. The sound quality saves the album slightly but itīs not enough to make me smile.

Over two hours of music that I can barely stand to listen to is a bit much and the length of the album does end up having an impact on my rating along with the unfitting mix of metal and symphonic film score music and the awful vocal performance by James Hetfield. I almost always try to find something positive to write about a release, but other than the pretty good production values, I canīt for the life of me find anything positive to say about "S&M". This is just another example of the fact that Metallica at this point had run completely dry of original ideas and had to resort to projects like this to still get attention. I think Iīm being generous when I hand out a 2 star rating.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#586240) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 11, 2011

5 stars In my youth I was a huge Metallica fan and liked almost every album. Over the years, they ceased to rock me like they did but one album will forever stand out: Symphony & Metallica! Although they might not be very interesting and successful in terms of progmusic, they definately created some almo ... (read more)

Report this review (#1181887) | Posted by Mind_Drive | Sunday, June 01, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 8/10 The idea of combining two elements as opposites - one Metallica and the orchestra - is as shocking as its result: a work that works! S & M is where the album was recorded all this, the joining of forces of these mega-stars of heavy metal with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, condu ... (read more)

Report this review (#755301) | Posted by voliveira | Saturday, May 19, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Who would have imagined back in 1983, when Metallica released their debut album, that we'd be seeing them play with an orchestra in 1999? When it was first revealed that Metallica's next endeavor would involve playing with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, I can only imagine the disgust and ... (read more)

Report this review (#439733) | Posted by Valarius | Wednesday, April 27, 2011 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Probably one of the worst ideas ever. Why the holy squirrel did Metallica do this horrible collaboration with Michael Kamen and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra ? Was it their desire for respectability and acknowledge as musicians ? In that case; they missed the boat. Both Master Of Puppe ... (read more)

Report this review (#230394) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Friday, August 07, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This album had the potential to be really good but unfortunately was not. Don't get me wrong, Metallica is my favorite band, but I don't see how this is prog. The idea of having a symphony back up Metallica was an excellent idea, but ended up not succeeding. The main reason this album isn't very goo ... (read more)

Report this review (#207973) | Posted by estes | Sunday, March 22, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars S&M means Symphony & Metallica. When people hear Metallica and Symphony in the same sentence, they might be a little confused. But it's true, they teamed up with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra conducted by Michael Kamen, to make one of their best live shows ever. This is best compilation ... (read more)

Report this review (#192184) | Posted by IvanK | Sunday, December 07, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Oddly, this was one of the first 'Tallica albums I bought. I was such a newbie on metal by that time. It was 6 or 7 years ago I bought my first Metallica album (and my first album EVER), and it was... the extremely critizised, destroyed, blasphemous (for many, but not for me) St. Anger. That prov ... (read more)

Report this review (#186805) | Posted by Barla | Friday, October 24, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of METALLICA "S & M"