POZOROVATELNA (THE WATCH-TOWER)

- Lubos Andrst / guitar
- Vladimír Padrunek / bass
- Michal Vrbovec / drums

guest musicians:
- Joan Duggan / vocals (3)
- Rudolf Chalupský / violin (5)

1973 LP - Panton 01 0285/11 0285

Thanks to Magor for the addition
and to snobb for the last updates

JAZZ Q MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy JAZZ Q Pozorovatelna (The Watch-tower) Music

Jazz At the DomeJazz At the Dome
Audio CD$15.39 (used)
Martin Kratochvil & Jazz Q by Martin Kratochvil (CD, Oct-2007, Supraphon) US $31.62 Buy It Now 9h 2m
Martin Kratochvil - Martin Kratochvil & Jazz Q [CD New] US $34.59 Buy It Now 2 days
MARTIN KRATOCHVIL - MARTIN KRATOCHVIL & JAZZ Q NEW CD US $57.82 Buy It Now 2 days
Kratochvil Martin - Martin Kratochvil & Jazz Q CD US $50.80 Buy It Now 3 days
MARTIN KRATOCHVIL & JAZZ Q Zvesti LP Czech Jazz-Rock/Prog Rock, 1978 US $17.99 Buy It Now 4 days
JIRI STIVIN Status Quo Vadis LP Jazz-Rock/Fusion ex-Martin Kratochvil US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Blue Effect & Jazz Q Praha - Coniunctio CD 1970 US $17.99 Buy It Now 4 days
JAZZ Q: Elegy LP (Czechoslovakia) Rock & Pop US $25.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Skinner, Billy Double Jazz Q-Kosen Rufu CD NEW US $14.81 Buy It Now 5 days
JAZZ Q /MARTIN KRATOCHVIL/:ELEGY LP M-/M- US $16.00 Buy It Now 8 days
KRATOCHVIL, MARTIN & JAZZ Q Elegy 1980 NM US $19.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Martin Kratochvil & Jazz Q HVEZDON - ASTEROID Pavol Kozma 1988 Suppraphon 3525lp US $19.99 Buy It Now 13 days
PABLO HIDALGO JAZZ Q - MARTES 13 [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $15.39 Buy It Now 13 days
Dancing - Feel Beat 1990 JAPAN CD Cool Jazz, Post Bop, Smooth Jazz,#Q04 US $20.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Jazz Q 8 cds box set Czech prog cd RM US $54.99 Buy It Now 14 days
MAKING SPIRITS BRIGHT -VAR (CD) DIANA ROSS MODERN JAZZ Q KING'S SINGERS LONDON US $7.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Martin KRATOCHVIL & JAZZ Q JAZZ Prog ROCK Fusion CZECH Lp MINT Supraphon US $29.90 Buy It Now 19 days
MODERN JAZZ QUARTET The Modern Jazz Quartet- Django- Fontessa- The Modern Jazz Q US $13.20 Buy It Now 24 days
Jazz Q, New Music US $35.30 Buy It Now 25 days
MARTIN KRATOCHVIL - MARTIN KRATOCHVIL & JAZZ Q - NEW CD BOXSET US $47.79 Buy It Now 25 days
BILLY TAYLOR TRIO My Fair Lady Loves Jazz Q uincy Jones JUKEBOX 45rpm EP RECORD US $15.00 Buy It Now 27 days
CZECH Prog JAZZ ROCK * Blue Effect & JAZZ Q Praha Coniunctio Lp SUPRAPHON US $39.90 Buy It Now 28 days

More places to buy JAZZ Q music online Buy JAZZ Q & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for JAZZ Q DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

JAZZ Q Pozorovatelna (The Watch-tower) ratings distribution

JAZZ Q Pozorovatelna (The Watch-tower) reviews

Review by snobb
4 stars Pozorovatelna is first Czech jazz fusion band's Jazz Q Praha full studio release. But still in 1970 they participated as band-collaborator on another great Czech fusion band Blue Effect studio release Coniunctio. Three years is gone, and the difference in their music is very big.

If there, on their first ever work in studio, Jazz Q Praha bring huge doze of free-jazz into common sound ( and Blue Effect with excellent guitarist Radim Hladik were mostly responsible for blues/jazz-rock part of common sound), there, on their real debut, Jazz Q is much more comfortable jazz-fusion band, with very jazz-rock guitar solos, compositions with strong structure and quite pleasant, almost polished sound.

It's difficult for me to say now, what was the reason of such changes, but in fact Jazz Q missed some their experimental rebellion, without officering something adequately impressive.

They play very competent jazz fusion there, with good guitar line ( according to moment's fashion), and it will be not correct at all to say they are boring or non-professional. In fact, they play good fusion, but play it ... safe. Even with some jazzy r'n'b female vocals.

Still good album for classic guitar fusion lovers. Three and half rounded till 4.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#278814) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 21, 2010

4 stars The first time JAZZ Q came on the scene recording-wise was with BLUE EFFECT and a record they did together called "Coniunctio" which was a wild affair, very avant. Back then in 1970 they were called JAZZ Q PRAHA and they had a completely different lineup except for the keyboardist. So here we are in 1973 and their true debut called "Pozorovatelna". This is an album i'd call a slow burner. They just don't break out that often even though I keep waiting for that to happen. The bass is very growly and we get some excellent drumming along with guitar and electric piano. Often we get this atmospheric and laid back sound that has this underlying intensity just under the surface, but rarely does it break out.

"Pori" has this drum intro which is followed by a calm then the beast starts to rise up before 2 minutes. Another calm then it starts to build before 4 minutes once again. It settles though and the guitar here reminds me of Fripp. Another calm 5 minutes in then this growly bass comes in followed by drums and guitar as the latter starts to light it up. Killer section as the beast is up. Keyboards replace the guitar after 8 minutes then we get another calm before 10 minutes. It's building before 11 minutes. What a song ! "Pozorovatelna" opens with growly bass, electric piano and drums and it's fairly laid back. Guitar before 1 1/2 minutes and it's relaxed. The bass is really growly after 4 minutes but the song continues to stay in check.

"Trifid" has this catchy but laid back start with electric piano, bass and drums. Guitar before 4 1/2 minutes and it's tasteful, although he will start to rip it up before 6 minutes. Guest female vocals before 7 1/2 minutes once the guitar stops. "Klobasove Hody" has these deep and growly bass lines to start then the drums and electric piano join in. The sound picks up, then it picks up even more 3 minutes in with the guitar leading the way and at times being aggressive. It settles back late to end it. "Kartgo" is kind of haunting with bass. Guest violin and sparse piano join in. It's still dark and atmospheric. It starts to pick up 3 1/2 minutes in to end it.

The guest female vocalist on the song "Trifid" is Joan Duggan and she would be front and center on their next album called "Symbiosis". A solid 4 stars and I must admit that if this had more powerful sections to go with the laid back ones this would be 4.5 to 5 stars. Still this is an easy one to recommend.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#794185) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Review by GruvanDahlman
3 stars I first got in touch with Jazz Q by way of Modry Efekt and their collaboration on Coniunctio (1970). That album was a sort of free form jazz-rock excursion. Not really my cup of tea but certainly interesting. My interest in Jazz Q grew over time and I got myself the CD box set for christmas. It wasn't all fun and games but there are something about them that is, however you look at it, intriguing. Their universe is of their own making, though highly inspired by contemporaries in the genres of jazz, fusion and jazz-rock.

This, their first album, is in many ways their best. It builds in some aspects on the sounds of Coniunctio, though not nearly as intense as that album. The music on Pozoravatelna is certainly more noodling and spacious, though interrupted at times (thank God) by more frantic outbursts.

The album is almost entirely instrumental, apart from some vocals added by Joan Duggan. The playing is impeccable and the sound, especially the guitar, is quite raw in a good way, as much of the early 70's jazz-rock.

I think that Pozoravatelna is a bit too heavy on the noodling and the jazz is in a too pure a form for me personally. The interesting parts are those that rock, where the band kicks and tears up a storm. That's where I start to dig it. The best song is "Trifid" which balances their jazzy side with rock wonderfully.

All in all I'd say that this album, along their next, is the best of the lot. Their fusiony style got too slick and noodling for my taste in the years to come, leaving much of the raw elements aside. Too bad, really. On the other hand, if you are into fusion I think Jazz Q has a lot to offer. Highly skilled and competent they do produce top notch fusion. I guess it is just not for me. My rating will be three stars and that is by my personal taste. If you like fusion, I guess you could rate it four.

Send comments to GruvanDahlman (BETA) | Report this review (#1164578) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 24, 2014

Post a review of JAZZ Q "Pozorovatelna (The Watch-tower)"