THE THUNDERTHIEF

9. Freedom Song - 2:37

Total time: 46:13

Search JOHN PAUL JONES The Thunderthief lyrics

Search JOHN PAUL JONES The Thunderthief tabs

John Paul Jones - vocals, 4-, 6-, 10- and 12-string basses, bass steel guitar,acoustic and electric guitars, mandolin, electric mandolin, piano, organ, synthesizer, Kyma, koto, autoharp, ukelele
Terl Bryant - Drums, percussion, tofaran
Nick Beggs - Chapman Stick - Shibuya Bop and Leafy Meadows
Adam Bomb - Guitar solo - Angry Angry
Robert Fripp - Guitar solo - Leafy Meadows

Discipline Global Mobile

Thanks to Raff for the addition

JOHN PAUL JONES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy JOHN PAUL JONES The Thunderthief Music

The ThunderthiefThe Thunderthief
Discipline Us 2002
The Thunderthief by Jones, John Paul [Music CD]The Thunderthief by Jones, John Paul [Music CD]
Discipline Us

More places to buy JOHN PAUL JONES music online Buy JOHN PAUL JONES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for JOHN PAUL JONES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

JOHN PAUL JONES The Thunderthief ratings distribution

JOHN PAUL JONES The Thunderthief reviews

Review by Slartibartfast
3 stars Oh the irony, as I write this heavy thunderstorms are actually rolling in.

Jones' third solo album is a rather eclectic affair. After the all instrumental Zooma he decided to add some vocals into the mix, his own. As you might expect the style is nothing like Robert Plant's, but not bad to my ears. Jones also plays diverse collection of instruments, including oddly enough 4, 6, 10, and 12 string basses. Maniac. Yeah, he's pretty much a string freak though he does do keyboards, too. John is also supplemented by a percussionist and three guests including Robert Fripp doing a guitar solo on Leafy Meadows. This album is on Fripp's label, by the way.

The afore mentioned Leafy Meadows is nice heavy prog instrumental. John's kind of fond of slide guitar. The Thunderthief is the first vocal, a weird, dark little tune. Hoediddle has a little hoedown/celtic jig flavoring to it. Ice Fishing At Night, the second vocal (both were written by Peter Blegvad) is a nice mellow piece. John takes a break from the strings to do solo piano with vocals, very mellow. Back to the bayou flavor with instrumental Daphne. Angry Angry is another quirky little vocal. Kinda punky. Don't let it get to you. Down To The River To Pray is a bit folksy/gospel flavored and thankfully instrumental, as I don't think I'd like to hear him try to sing a gospel style tune. Shibuya Bop kicks things back into heavy overdrive. Freedom Song wraps it all up with folksy with John on guitar and singing once again in probably his best style for the whole album.

As a bonus, I ordered this one used and it came autographed. I don't know what that says about it, but this might be a hard one to enjoy for the average Led Zeppelin fan. They'll probably take better to Zooma.

Epilogue: after a few hours the storms have passed. Maybe this damn thing actually works. Unfortunately, now I've got to try and get some sleep.

"The Thunderthief, he puts us under. While we sleep he steals our thunder."

Send comments to Slartibartfast (BETA) | Report this review (#212243) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 23, 2009

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars While Zooma showed us how good John Paul Jones can be on his own The Thunderthief introduced some of his flaws as a solo artist. Although instrumentally it's still a great album the quality of lyrics and vocals bring it down just a bit for me.

It's great that Jones Paul Jones pushes things forward by trying new ideas but I believe that he should instead improve on the things he is good at and not try to succeed where other artists can do a much better job with less effort.

Having said that I still consider this release to be highly enjoyable and overall it's a great successor to Zooma. Jones increased the ante by exchanging Trey Gunn's Crimsonesque guitar solos with the real deal. Yes, I'm talking about the legendary Robert Fripp performing on an ex-Led Zeppelin members solo album. The whole concept just blows my mind especially considering what an amazing performance Mr.Fripp gives on Leafy Meadows!

The Thunderthief might not be the follow-up I way expecting from John Paul Jones but it's great to know that he can still surprise the listeners and it's truly a pity that Jones still haven't released a follow-up to this album.

***** star songs: Leafy Meadows (5:10) Daphne (4:50) Shibuya Bop (5:56)

**** star songs: Hoediddle (7:00) Ice Fishing At Night (4:31) Down To The River To Pray (4:17)

*** star songs: The Thunderthief (5:58) Angry Angry (5:54) Freedom Song (2:37)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#262004) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 22, 2010

Review by snobb
3 stars Third JP Jones solo album ( I count his duet album with Diamanda Galas as her album, for sure) is music for his fans mostly. And for fans of Robert Fripp, which participates on one song (Leafy Meadows) here. This song is album's opener. Fripp's guitar sounds very KC-like, for both good and band. I like this sound, but all of KC fans listened to it so many times!

Second song has vocals (JP Jones himself), I am not sure that was good idea. John also plays all string (big list) and all keys. In fact, all the musicians team is duo (JP Jones plus drummer Terl Bryant ) with three guest guitarist , each just played on one or two tracks.

The music is complex and muddy, but with real lack of composition. It looks JP enjoy playing so many instruments, mixing the sound in one final product. But too often it is more attractive to himself, than to listener.

"Ice Fishing at Night" ( how many of you know what does it means? I love it!) is a ballade, intention was good, but the musical result is very limited.

"Daphne" has it's roots somewhere in Led Zeppelin's vaults."Angry Angry" shows JP going punky. Plenty of dirty energy in sound, but the result is too faceless again ( or it was the initial idea - just to record real punk opus, which should be faceless, dirty and full of energy).

"Down to the River to Pray " is bluegrass song played acoustic with some eastern scent, sounds better than you can expect. "Shibuya Bop" is a hard fast instrumental with Nick Beggs on Chapman Stick. Sounds as LZ goes KC.

The final song "Freedom Song" (real song - with JP singing) is acoustic Eastern ballade.

Overall, the album is interesting work for LZ,KC and JP Jones heavy fans. Far from masterpiece, it brings some interesting moments from music and musicians we love. Don't think it has any attraction for newcomers .

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#263149) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 28, 2010

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Second stidio album under his name issued in 2002 named The thunderthif. To me this is equaly good as previous one Zooma. Here we have vocal parts coming from him on some pieces, we have Fripp as guest on Leafy meadows and we have a great album overall. Again the bass is very proeminent from more calm parts like on Daphne to crunchy bass lines as on Angry angry. His voice is not particulary strong, on Angry angry he sounding like is singing from a can or buckett. The instrumental parts are more then ok most of the time with good passages.Some synth appears sporadicaly also made by JPJ and have a prog atmospher , also some King Crimson elements are to be found here and there. Nice one, maybe I prefere little bit Zooma, but this one is close. Nice art work.3.5 stars.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#963611) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Post a review of JOHN PAUL JONES "The Thunderthief"