DISCORDANT DREAMS

Good, but non-essential

Buy TOUCHSTONE Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Intro (1:35)
2. Discordant Dreams (5:56)
3. Curious Angel (4:45)
4. See The Light (7:01)
5. Being Hannah (5:11)
6. Shadow (6:47)
7. Winter Coast (0:22)
8. Ocean Down (2:23)
9. Blacktide (5:49)
10. Dignity (5:43)
11. The Beggar's Song (11:04)
12. Wthwt [Hidden Track] (6:52)

Search TOUCHSTONE Discordant Dreams lyrics

Search TOUCHSTONE Discordant Dreams tabs

Kim Seviour - Vocals
Rob Cottingham - Vocals, Keyboards, SFX.
Adam J Hodgson - Guitars, Backing Vocals.
Paul "Moo" Moorghen - Bass Guitars, Backing Vocals.
Alasdair Melville - Drums and Percussion

with
John Mitchel - guitar solo on "Dignity"

TOUCHSTONE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TOUCHSTONE Discordant Dreams Music

Discordant DreamsDiscordant Dreams
Steamhammer Us 2012
Discordant Dreams by Touchstone [Music CD]Discordant Dreams by Touchstone [Music CD]
Steamhammer

More places to buy TOUCHSTONE music online Buy TOUCHSTONE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TOUCHSTONE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TOUCHSTONE Discordant Dreams ratings distribution

TOUCHSTONE Discordant Dreams reviews

Review by b_olariu
4 stars Touchstone is a young progressive rock band from Great Britain releasing their first studio album in 2007 named Discordant dreams. I was very pleasent surprised about this first album of this fantastic new band, great ideas, some excellent vocal arrangements and above all not a single piece is boring or unpleasent. Taken influences from neo prog in places but keeping that crossover feel and symphonic aproach all the time Touchstone really knew how to make a great debut iin progressive rock scene. Absolutly excellent are the alternation between the female voice with the male voice, very worm and right to the heart are the vocal arrangements, well done. The instrumental passages are elaborated and very good, from mellow parts to more rougher in places Discordanr dreams is a total winner for me. See The Light or The Beggar's Song are perfect ex of sheer briliancy of this young band. Powerfull guitar work , awesome keyboards arrangements and excellent vocal parts. What else I need more when I want to talk about a band from new generation who has great skills and inventive pieces. I will give easy 4 stas for this debute, one of the album who needs a wider recognition from progressive rock listners, they are really good. Similar with Mostley Autumn, but less folky and at some point with Magenta but less neo prog more towards eclectic music. Recommended.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#257703) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 25, 2009

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars A very nice band from the UK that plays some very melodic prog rock. I really enjoyed their album because they we able to mix so many different influences and still come up with something already of their own. So much that is hard to compare them to anyone else nowadays. Their music is quite simple (if you´re considering that in progressive rock terms only, of course), yet VERY effective and very professional: strong guitars (sometimes bordering the metal edge), tasteful keyboards passages, a very good rhythm section. The tracks are quite varied and most of the time a bit AOR flavored (not much, which I liked a lot). Nothing too groundbreaking, but extremely well done. The vocals are also very good although I still think the band would win a lot if they had put Kim Seviour to sing lead more (she mostly harmonizes, even if she has a beautiful voice). It is not that Rob Cottingham´s vocal performance is bad. In fact, he does it very well (he is also the keyboards man), but Kim´s voice is clearly more powerful and beautiful.

Excellent production, which helped to enhance their powerful perfomance and very good songwriting skills.

A nice surprise from the UK. Highly energetic and full of great melodies. Very promising. Rating is something between 3 and four stars. Not really essential, but far more than just good. I´ll give 3,5 for this debut. If you´re into this style, you should check this out. You won´t regret it.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#286021) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010

Review by memowakeman
3 stars This is the debut album of British band Touchstone, released back in 2006 and entitled "Discordant Dreams" , here, the band let us know their first steps and the road their music is taking, with a good mixture of crossover prog with some metal hints. So be prepared because here you will have more than an hour of good music.

The opener track is just an atmospheric "Intro" which only lasts a minute until it opens the gates to "Discordant Dreams". Here, we can listen to that metal like style which is constantly softened by the vocals and the calm rhythm. The chorus is pretty catchy and reminds me a bit of Mostly Autumn; here is where the crossover prog label suits. The last minutes have a more delicate sound with piano and bass.

"Curious Angel" has a nice sound with some catchy moments but never far from that metal tune that they always try to implement. "See the Light" starts with a delicate piano and after some seconds drums, bass and guitar join and produce a more intense sound. The keyboards produce a symphonic sound that in moments belongs to thay symph metal realm, though later the vocals make a mellow tune that becomes catchier and in moments, even popish.

"Being Hannah" has a better participation of the female voice, though is not the leader yet, here we can listen to her making larger chorus and attractive second voices, while the male is still the main one. The vocals are nicely adapted to the music, which isa basic 4/4 structure with nice constant drums, cool bass lines and a rockish touch. There is a cool instrumental passage after four minutes, where the guitar shows its skills. "Shadow" starts with nice keyboards and guitars, creating again that kind of symphonic metal sound but without losing the crossover touch. Here, the female voice is now the leader, so here we can actually listen to what I would say is the most successful Touchstone style.

"Wintercoast" is a short instrumental passage that leads to "Ocean Down" which is another short track. Here the music is much more ballad-esque with a delicate and beautiful female voice accompanied by a piano. "Blacktide" has a cool acoustic guitar structure that is complemented by drums and vocals. A minute later the music is more intense and developed, though the rhythm might be the same, we can appreciate more elements that bring a more attractive and challenging sound This is a very good track!

"Dignity" is an emotive track that starts with a delicate sound for the first two minutes, and later it becomes totally symphonic due to the use of keyboards, then a guitar riff appears and now we can listen to a solid and exciting song. There is a long guitar solo that keeps us mesmerized and with the same interest since the first moments; later it vanishes and the vocals return, creating that emotional sound that started the track.

"The Beggar's Song Part 1" is the last track and the longest one of the album, reaching the 11-minute mark. This may be the best song of the album, because it is very well structured, the composition is intelligent, with the precise changes in rhythm and mood, and with that cool blend of light and heavy prog. I love the instrumental keyboard fiesta that appears in the first minutes, and how later the sound changes and becomes catchier. Sometimes these changes harm the music, but in this particular song they help it. I would have loved Touchstone included more songs like this, so the album would have been a killer, but well, this was the debut and they here let us know their capacity and their will to get better and enter to this difficult progressive rock realm.

A good album, with excellent moments, but mostly with just ok tracks, that is why my final grade will be 3 stars.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#780480) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 30, 2012

2 stars I bought this album in anticipation of seeing Touchstone live at CalProg. I wanted to get to know the artists that were playing, so I figured this was a good starting point. I felt they gave a wonderful performance at CalProg and their personality as a band shone through. But, I'll admit that I c ... (read more)

Report this review (#380128) | Posted by natewait | Friday, January 14, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A fine debit album from the rather wonderful Touchstone. I had never heard of them until The Cambridge Rock Festival and I was blown away with how professional they sounded. I of course bought their CD after the gig, and they must have impressed everyone as they sold out the supply they bou ... (read more)

Report this review (#197178) | Posted by Chriz | Sunday, January 04, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TOUCHSTONE "Discordant Dreams"