LOVE REMAINS THE SAME

8. I Came for You - 07:17
9. The Willing Victim - 09:16

Search VON HERTZEN BROTHERS Love Remains the Same lyrics

Search VON HERTZEN BROTHERS Love Remains the Same tabs

- Mikko von Hertzen / vocals, guitars, etc.
- Kie von Hertzen / guitars, vocals, etc.
- Jonne von Hertzen / bass, vocals, etc.
- Mikko Kaakkurinniemi / drums, percussion
- Juha Kuoppala / piano, keyboards

Thanks to Pipru for the addition
and to hillo-munkki for the last updates

VON HERTZEN BROTHERS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VON HERTZEN BROTHERS Love Remains the Same Music

Spinefarm 2012
ExperienceExperience
Imports 2011
Von Hertzen Brothers - Stars Aligned [Vinyl New] US $39.99 Buy It Now 16h 49m
Von Hertzen Brothers - Best Of Von Hertzen Brothers [CD New] US $29.30 Buy It Now 16h 49m
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - APPROACH (IMPORT) NEW VINYL US $58.27 Buy It Now 1 day
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - STARS ALIGNED (IMPORT) NEW VINYL US $53.16 Buy It Now 1 day
Von Hertzen Brothers - Experience [Vinyl New] US $44.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Approach [Vinyl New] US $44.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Von Hertzen Brothers Stars Aligned CD Album Music Brand New Hard Rock US $20.24 Buy It Now 2 days
Von Hertzen Brothers Love Remains The Same CD Rock Music Album Brand NEW Sealed US $20.24 Buy It Now 2 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - LOVE REMAINS THE SAME (IMPORT) NEW VINYL US $58.27 Buy It Now 3 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - BEST OF - 2012 CD & DVD US $12.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - The Best Of (NEW CD+DVD) US $20.66 Buy It Now 5 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives - Deluxe Edition (NEW CD) US $18.98 Buy It Now 5 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives NEW CD US $15.68 Buy It Now 5 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Approach Import-EU Vinyl Record LP US $47.66 Buy It Now 6 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Stars Aligned Import-EU Import-EU Vinyl Record LP US $43.85 Buy It Now 6 days
Von Hertzen Brothers-Nine Lives CD NEW US $20.33 Buy It Now 7 days
Von Hertzen Brothers: Nine Lives - Deluxe Edition (2013) CD TAIWAN US $23.99 Buy It Now 7 days
~ VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - NINE LIVES ~ MUSIC CD US $7.49 Buy It Now 7 days
Nine Lives - Von Hertzen Brothers New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $31.46 Buy It Now 8 days
Nine Lives - Von Hertzen Brothers New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $48.09 Buy It Now 8 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Love Remains The Same [Vinyl New] US $44.99 Buy It Now 8 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS Let Thy Will Be Done (2014 Remastered Version) promo CD US $3.36 Buy It Now 8 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - BEST OF - BONUS DVD NEW CD US $35.19 Buy It Now 8 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Approach [CD New] US $20.99 Buy It Now 9 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS LET THY WILL BE DONE RARE 1 TRACK DJ PROMO CD US $1.67 Buy It Now 9 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - APPROACH (IMPORT) NEW CD US $26.05 Buy It Now 9 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Best Of Von Hertzen Brothers CD US $29.31 Buy It Now 10 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Stars Aligned 2011 [CD New] US $20.33 Buy It Now 10 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS FLOWERS AND RUST RARE 1 TRACK DJ PROMO CD US $1.67 Buy It Now 10 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - The Best Of - 2799622 US $20.82 Buy It Now 12 days
Von Hertzen Brothers Nine Lives Deluxe Ed CD Rock Album 2013 New US $20.24 Buy It Now 12 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - STARS ALIGNED [VON HERTZEN BROTHERS] - NEW CD US $11.88 Buy It Now 12 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Stars Aligned CD V2 US $21.59 Buy It Now 14 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS INSOMNIAC RARE 1 TRACK DJ PROMO CD US $1.67 Buy It Now 14 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives [CD New] US $14.65 Buy It Now 14 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - NINE LIVES (IMPORT) NEW CD US $33.66 Buy It Now 14 days
Approach by Von Hertzen Brothers (CD, Apr-2011, Universal Distribution) US $18.04 Buy It Now 14 days
Von Hertzen Brothers Stars Aligned CD NEW (UK Import) US $14.89 Buy It Now 15 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - NINE LIVES [VON HERTZEN BROTHERS] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $11.67 Buy It Now 15 days
Stars Aligned - Von Hertzen Brothers New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $44.19 Buy It Now 15 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - STARS ALIGNED NEW CD US $23.00 Buy It Now 15 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives Hk CD US $27.94 Buy It Now 16 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - NINE LIVES [VON HERTZEN BROTHERS] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $23.44 Buy It Now 16 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Stars Aligned [CD New] US $12.23 Buy It Now 16 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS-STARS ALIGNED CD NEW US $19.28 Buy It Now 16 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Stars Aligned CD UNIVERSAL US $19.11 Buy It Now 17 days
Approach - Von Hertzen Brothers New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $25.22 Buy It Now 20 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Stars Aligned NEW CD US $15.68 Buy It Now 21 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Love Remains The Same NEW CD US $15.68 Buy It Now 21 days
Stars Aligned - Von Hertzen Brothers New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $23.39 Buy It Now 21 days
Approach - Von Hertzen Brothers New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $48.09 Buy It Now 21 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Love Remains the Same - 1771692 US $19.87 Buy It Now 22 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Stars Aligned - 2762804 US $21.14 Buy It Now 22 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS**NINE LIVES**CD US $13.95 Buy It Now 22 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Love Remains The Same [CD New] US $20.99 Buy It Now 23 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives [CD New] US $26.42 Buy It Now 23 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Experience [CD New] US $16.99 Buy It Now 23 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - LOVE REMAINS THE SAME NEW CD US $26.05 Buy It Now 23 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - NINE LIVES (LTD) (DLX) NEW CD US $32.14 Buy It Now 23 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - EXPERIENCE (IMPORT) NEW CD US $21.48 Buy It Now 23 days
Stars Aligned by Von Hertzen Brothers (CD, Mar-2011, Decca International) US $9.27 Buy It Now 24 days
Experience - Von Hertzen Brothers New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $22.09 Buy It Now 24 days
Nine Lives - Von Hertzen Brothers New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $30.21 Buy It Now 24 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives NEW CD US $17.72 Buy It Now 24 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives - 3732731 US $18.37 Buy It Now 24 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Love Remains The Sa (NEW CD) US $18.98 Buy It Now 24 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Stars Aligned (NEW CD) US $18.98 Buy It Now 24 days
Love Remains the Same - Von Hertzen Brothers New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $48.09 Buy It Now 24 days
Experience - Von Hertzen Brothers New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $48.09 Buy It Now 24 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives - CD *NEW* US $10.11 Buy It Now 24 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - EXPERIENCE (IMPORT) NEW VINYL US $58.27 Buy It Now 24 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - NINE LIVES NEW VINYL US $58.27 Buy It Now 24 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives CD US $26.67 Buy It Now 25 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Experience CD US $18.00 Buy It Now 25 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Love Remains The Same CD US $21.59 Buy It Now 25 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Love Remains The Same Import-EU Vinyl Record LP US $47.66 Buy It Now 25 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives [Vinyl New] US $44.99 Buy It Now 25 days
Von Hertzen Brothers - Experience Import-EU Vinyl Record LP US $47.66 Buy It Now 26 days
Best of Von Hertzen Brothers - Von Hertzen Brothers New & Sealed CD Free Shippin US $32.71 Buy It Now 27 days
VON HERTZEN BROTHERS - STARS ALIGNED (IMPORT) NEW CD US $26.05 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy VON HERTZEN BROTHERS music online Buy VON HERTZEN BROTHERS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VON HERTZEN BROTHERS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VON HERTZEN BROTHERS Love Remains the Same ratings distribution

VON HERTZEN BROTHERS Love Remains the Same reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars A true love of mine?

Two years after the release of their breakthrough album, in Finland at least, the Von Hertzen Brothers repeated their enormous success in that country with this their third studio album. The drum stool this time is occupied by Sami Kuoppamäki, the line up being further augmented by the arrival of keyboards player Juha Kuoppala.

The album sees the band consolidating the vast strides made between albums one and two, with many of the tracks once again being developed beyond their core pop rock structures to become prog style compositions running between 6 and 10 minutes.

Things begin rather deceptively with the almost imperceptible melody of "Scarborough fair" offering a decidedly folk tinge. As synthesisers gracefully pick up the tune, the more familiar harmonies of the Brothers Von Hertzen gently transport us towards their true vocation. At almost 11 minutes, "Bring out the sun (so alive)" is a superbly ambitious opening statement. Swishing Hammond organ sounds and floating synths adorn an ever ascending anthem which moves from the soft folk of the intro to a full blown metallic blast.

"Spanish 411" has a slightly retro feel, the frantic tempo supporting a complex arrangement which includes bullfighting horns. "Freedom fighter" is the first of three singles taken from the album. While the commercial aspects of the song are apparent, for me it is a weaker point on the album. "Somewhere in the middle" returns us to a more interesting arrangement, the piano and lead guitar intro leading to another majestic anthem.

"In the end" was also selected as a single. The song has similarities with the album tracks of Aha (an under appreciated Norwegian band, chastised for their singles success). The vocal performance here is particularly strong. The last of the singles on this album is "Faded photographs". While featuring a strong hook, the arrangement of the song is probably a bit too complex to succeed as a single, yet too pop orientated to appeal to prog fans. "Silver lover" has the sound of single B side; it has the familiar tenets of the better Von Hertzen brothers songs, but this time they do not pull together well.

"I Came For You" is a comparatively downbeat affair where the emphasis moves to an emotional delivery of a romantic eulogy. As the track builds through a repeating refrain, the harmonic singing becomes increasingly chorale. The closing "The willing victim" has similarities with the opening song, as both run to around 9 minutes, and both open with a soft acoustic passage. Here though the track remains subdued until it bursts forward with a refrain of the album title and a magnificent guitar crescendo. A delightful end to the album.

"Love remains the same" may be a bit of a daft title for an album such as this, but the quality of the music is undeniable. Here, the Von Hertzen brothers consolidate the progress made on their "Approach" album, while displaying an ever increasing willingness to realise the full potential of their compositions. "Love remains the same" sits on the edges or prog, leaning distinctly towards the commercial. It does so though from a position of being among the best in that field.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#501049) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Review by Starhammer
4 stars Band of Brothers...

The third studio album from the Finnish quintet.

Von Hertzen Brothers were scheduled to open the Prog Stage at High Voltage 2011, having never heard of them I decided to check out Loves Remains the Same a couple of weeks before the festival started. Normally I'd try to investigate as many of these 'unknown' bands as possible before heading off but I ended up listening to this release so many times that I didn't have time for anything else! It quickly became obvious that this wasn't going to simply be a case of making sure I recognised a couple of the songs during their live set, this record was something special, and would remain a keeper long after the gig had ended.

The songwriting on Love Remains the Same is pure class. Weighted perfectly between emotion, virtuosity and accessibility. The style varies widely throughout and when I listen I hear Moon Safari, Pink Floyd, Muse, Pain of Salvation, Manic Street Preachers, Ennio Morricone, The Beach Boys, Anathema and Al Di Meola amongst others.

Bring Out the Sun (So Alive) starts very softly, a gentle crescendo into a bombastic climax, and the closing track, The Willing Victim is similar in structure but very different in style. These two, alongside Somewhere in the Middle and Spanish 411 are for me the best of an excellent bunch which gets better with every listen! The mix is also incredible, so many subtle nuances to discover which make this album almost impossible to fully appreciate without listening through a pair of high end headphones. It's very rare indeed that the sound engineering does justice to a release of this calibre. It's obvious how much time and care has been out into this album and it deserves nothing to less in return.

And as for High Voltage, they blew away the Prog Stage! Spock's Beard and Jethro Tull didn't even come close.

The Verdict: One of the best crossover albums of the decade.

Send comments to Starhammer (BETA) | Report this review (#524632) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 16, 2011

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars Just when you think you have heard it all before! Stupid ignorant me! To think that some people have the nerve to get bored with prog, not realizing that no other form of contemporary music contains as many sub-genres, damning those incompetent idiot naysayers who foolishly believe that prog is just early Genesis revisited! Shame on you! The Von Hertzen Brothers came as quite a shock for me, I was inspired by the positive reviews and I took the blind plunge, expecting something good but not necessarily great, I mean Deep Purple, Zeppelin and AC/DC as influences do not necessarily bode well for the sympho-proggist that I am. It took me a few run throughs before I could really get into their rather unique sound but I do like courage and audacity, traits that seem so distant in our cellophane cell phone world.

These taciturn Finns certainly take no prisoners, playing a highly melodic, fast-paced, bruising style of prog that has all kinds of hues and colors. There is not much like them out there that's for sure. First area of note are the eccentric harmonies as well as some powerful lead vocalisms that saturated the eclectic grooves. Secondly, the hard-prog attitude shown by the hard/fast guitars, slithering organ and synths and bruising drums (Mikko Kaakkurinniemi is a monster!). Tracks such as "Freedom Fighter" and "Spanish 411" are perfect examples of this edgy strain. They can also opt for the grandiloquent and the flamboyant as on the brilliant opener "Bring Out the Sun (So Alive)", the opulent "Somewhere in the Middle" or the epic closer "The Willing Victim". Then you have some ditties that are pop-rock gems that evoke various aromas (I like that Aha analogy by our Easy Livin'!), with the full understanding that North American radio will never pick these up. Songs like "In the End" and "Faded Photographs" have that smudge of weirdness that spooks the saccharine ear-candied horde who like to sing along to their draft beer and embrace their acne-ridden girlfriends (oh, be nice, Thomas!). "Silver Lover" has those Zeppelin tinges straight out of Houses of the Holy (the fleet guitar rhythms par exemple), and it's quite a pleasant ride without being derivative. The final 2 tracks are really splendid, "I Came For You" is by far my fave piece, at times similar to Sylvan in its poignant vocal delivery and rather quirky backdrop. Strong contrasts between the mellow and the harsh, fueled by some stupendous vocals ending in a magnificent heavenly chorale that is sheer aural bliss. As stated earlier, the finale is another treasure; "The Willing Victim" is a symphonic slow builder with delicate acoustic guitar and pastoral setting of impeccable pedigree, as per the fluid synthesizer solo that graces the mid-section, a composition full of unbridled passion and barely containable restraint, settled by a colossal explosive lead vocal hurl. Wow! And when the lead guitar blows through, you just know that feeling is there once again. This is precious stuff!

I probably will require some further spins before I can truly be the good unbiased judge that I am (and modest too!) but it must be said that this is neither symphonic, neo nor space. Rather a rock band that are not being dictated to by some corporate pirate and do their own thing. Bravo to you, heart brothers! I need to get used to the harder tracks and digest them properly before bestowing any higher marks.

4 suomi wrestlers

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#617307) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 23, 2012

4 stars I've heard about this band for a couple of years now but to be honest I never had the desire to check them out mainly because of how commercial they supposedly sounded, and also I kept seeing QUEEN mentioned as a reference. Also females apparently often made up the majority of their audience. And yes they are superstars in their home country of Finland. As I combined all these thoughts I just didn't think i'd like the music. Yes I have egg all over my face as I write this (haha). It took a few listens but man did I get sucked into the VON HERTZEN BROTHERS vortex. How do they do that ? MUSE I think is a good reference along with KINGSTON WALL.

"Bring Out The Sun (So Alive)" is the longest track at almost 11 minutes and by far my favourite.The intro is mournful and it goes on and on for almost 4 minutes. It does start to build after 2 minutes and vocals come in just before 4 minutes. A change 5 minutes in as we get silence then synths and strummed guitar. It kicks in at 6 minutes. Hell yeah it does. Some killer organ here and the vocals follow. So emotional. Kicking ass a minute later. Incredible track. "Spanish 411" is guitar and synth led as the organ joins in. Vocals before a minute. Killer stuff. The guitar is lighting it up before 4 minutes. "Freedom Fighter" hits the ground running with lots of piano too. Synths come in just before a minute with vocals. Damn this is so uplifting, then it turns intense once again.

"Somewhere In The Middle" calms down just before a minute with guitar and atmosphere. Reserved vocals and piano before 2 1/2 minutes then it kicks in again. There's a Brian May reference 5 1/2 minutes in. "In The End" is one I enjoy a lot. It kicks in fuller around 2 minutes with a great sounding instrumental section with prominant guitar leading the way. "Faded Photographs" is such a passionate song. "Silver Lover" opens with some cool sounding guitar that reminds me of THE TEA PARTY. Yes there is an Eastern vibe to this one. "I Came For You" has some good contrasts between the laid back and more intense passages. Great section before 3 1/2 minutes with vocals and piano. "The Willing Victim" has a beautiful instrumental intro and we get some violin after 1 1/2 minutes. Reserved vocals follow. It's maybe a little too ballad-like 3 1/2 minutes in when the vocals get more passionate. It's building 6 1/2 minutes in and guitar comes to the fore late. Nice.

So yeah I have to reluctantly give up 4 stars for this one despite my earlier reservations. I'm so glad I checked them out.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#623712) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
3 stars I find that, on this album, when the Von Hertzen Brothers strive toward traditional progressive rock, the result isn't nearly as satisfying as the band's catchier, less complicated rock music. The simpler tunes are just excellent. The more "progressive" songs tend to have a lack of flow. That said, there is plenty to enjoy here, especially for Heavy and Neo-Prog and fans. Standout tracks for me are "Somewhere in the Middle," "Silver Lover," and "I Came for You."

"Bring Out the Sun (So Alive)" Light, swirling tones wash over the listener in the beginning of the album before beautiful harmonies take over- an excellent build, but unfortunately anticlimactic. Midway through, a quiet synthesizer lead emerges. Intense rock with generally light vocals pummels the listener.

"Spanish 411" As the name implies, this Spanish-flavored song has rapid verses with hushed harmonies underneath. The electric guitar chunks out the strident chords. The music behind the trumpet sounds just like a segment from Yes' "The Remembering (High the Memory)."

"Freedom Fighter" There's far too much going on here, with jarring guitar riffs, an overabundance of drum fills, and shrill vocals. It becomes increasingly painful toward the end.

"Somewhere in the Middle" A gritty guitar performance over soft bass and keyboards kicks off a soft passage on the album. The vocals are initially sung over quiet piano before the rest of the band enters. The melody is excellent and soars, reminiscent in content and tone of The Flower Kings; it is a very nice progressive pop rock tune.

"In the End" This is a decent moderate rocker with good electric guitar riffs and a catchy hook.

"Faded Photographs" I'm rather reminded of It Bites with this one. The vocals are gritty but melodic, and the instrumentation is appropriate, complementing the singing.

"Silver Lover" Moving in a more acoustic direction, this is a happier tune with exotic traces. It feels like "Reason to Be" by Kansas. It picks up and adopts a very different, heavier feel.

"I Came for You" This song possesses a quiet, Porcupine Tree-like middle passage. The repeated line "Are you ready now?" is evocative and perfect for the piece.

"The Willing Victim" The gentlest song on the album was saved for last, it seems. The vocals remain soft and airy, as does the music. The final three minutes bursts into an arena rock "power ballad," complete with the obligatory screaming guitar solo.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#645771) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 04, 2012

Review by VanVanVan
5 stars This is what crossover prog should be; this is the sort of album against which all other crossover albums should be compared. This is music without pretension, music that is content to forgo lengthy technical sections or extended instrumental show-offs in favor of irreplaceable composition. Every song is incredibly melodic, with infinitely sing-able choruses and vocal lines that will give you chills. This certainly isn't particularly difficult or challenging music, but it's darn good, and some of the most listenable stuff I've heard in a long time.

"Bring Out the Sun (So Alive)" begins the album with a slow buildup. A slow repeated melody that's repeated over and over, being added onto by various instruments until vocals enter and the track takes on a spacey, laid back feel aided by psychedelic keyboard parts and great vocal harmonies. At about 5 minutes in the track abruptly changes tone, taking on a much more up-tempo feel and launching into a scorching organ solo that helps introduce a new main melody. Despite the fact that more or less the same melody is used throughout the track it never feels repetitive, which is due largely to the strength of the melodies used and the brilliant pacing. Small changes are made in the music throughout to give the song a sense of drama and it works brilliantly, with the result being that "Bring Out the Sun" comes off sounding like a bona fide prog epic despite its generally homogeneous composition.

"Spanish 411," as its title might suggest, has a bit of a Spanish folk music flair to it, though it's also quite a rocker. The vocal melodies are again spectacular, as are the use of harmonies, and there's some rather understated but still very effective horn playing that eventually increases in its intensity as the track goes on. This all results in a kind of prog-rock mariachi sound that culminates in a great reprise of the vocal melody. A stellar track and some of the catchiest prog music I've ever heard.

"Freedom Fighter" is another highlight of the album. Beginning with a punchy, syncopated guitar part, the track quickly develops into a driving, upbeat little song that's as charming as it is easy to sing along with. Excellent interplay between keyboards, guitars and strings really helps to bring out the melodies as well, ensuring that this song is one that will likely get stuck in your head. How much prog can you say that about? Add to this the fact that every note in the song hits like a train despite its catchiness and you've got all the makings of a pop-prog classic.

"Somewhere In The Middle" takes the tempo down a little bit, trading in driving guitars and cheery horns for a melancholy introductory verse backed by tender piano. Once the song gets to about the three minute mark, however, the grandeur of the previous 3 tracks returns, with vocals soaring towards the heavens and spot-on perfect interaction between guitar, percussion and piano. Again, the vocal harmonies cannot be overlooked, with multiple voices blending together to transform great melodies into holistically great sung parts.

"In The End" opts for a slightly darker sound, with some spookily atmospheric keyboard parts faintly lurking behind a guitar and piano part that wouldn't sound out of place in a neo-noir film. The vocals in this section are suited to the music perfectly, with a proper degree of restraint and mystery; however, the real high point of the song is the chorus. Guitars crash in and the already spot-on singing ascends to new heights, with incredibly passionate and raw delivery. Following this is a bit of an interlude section, with a slower tempo and lower, more restrained vocal harmonies that eventually build back up to reprise the chorus. It's an incredibly effective compositional technique, so much so, in fact, that by the final chorus there's a strong urge to simply stand up and belt along with the singer. The end of the track returns to the slinkier, darker motif for a brief moment before a brief but very good keyboard duet closes out the song and leads into the next.

"Faded Photograph" begins with a brief instrumental section that can only be described as triumphant. While the track overall is essentially a simple verse-chorus number, the fantastic instrumental interplay, wonderful melodies and stellar vocals ensure that the song is the farthest thing from ordinary.

"Silver Lover" begins with a wonderfully carefree strummed guitar part that's quickly elaborated on by percussion, keyboards and even some faint wordless vocals. The song on the whole is far more stripped down than some of the other more symphonic numbers, relying primarily on fairly simple instrumental parts and the charm of the vocals to keep the track going. There is, however, a gorgeously spare instrumental section in the middle that proves the old idiom that "less is more." The end of the track does crank up the orchestration quite a bit, but the pacing of the track is brilliant and the extra arrangement never sounds busy or forced.

"I Came For You" again starts off subdued, with an almost martial percussion beat and a low, almost sinister vocal part. This more restrained approach, however, is juxtaposed against some brief guitar parts that offer sledgehammer chords. The contrast is brilliant and helps to emphasize the heaviness when it is used. Midway through the track switches gears and introduces a repeating motif that is elaborated and built upon for the rest of the song, much in the same way that "Bring Out the Sun" was structured. The effect is much the same, as well, despite this latter section's repetition it's incredibly powerful, with multiple voices and a large variety of instruments having joined by the time the song draws to its close.

"The Willing Victim" begins much the same way the album did, with a softly repeated instrumental motif that is built on until vocals enter. When vocals do enter, they're high and ethereal, effortlessly serving as the center of the track without needing to overpower the instruments behind them. The introduction of strings confers upon the track a sense of cinematic finality, and after a brief instrumental break that features an excellently dramatic synth solo, the vocals re-emerge stronger than ever. There's another brief vocal section, and then the track drops down to nothing, briefly leaving the listener to wonder whether the album has ended on an early anti-climax. Fortunately, this is not the case, as the final three minutes of this album contain some of the finest music I've ever heard. Very faintly, guitar and vocals re-appear before building to a stunning climax that features typically soaring vocals, wailing guitars, and of course all manner of other instruments. It's a breathtaking climax to an album that comes as close to perfection as music is capable of coming.

Thus, if you are looking for a pop-prog fix, look no further. This is one of those albums where every song seems better than the last and where my favorite song is the one that happens to be playing. A stellar example of songcraft and proof that music doesn't need to be mind- bendingly complex to be good. As I said, as far as crossover prog goes, this is the standard for the genre to live up to.

5/5

Send comments to VanVanVan (BETA) | Report this review (#744265) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock and Crossover Teams
4 stars This is a terrific album! This crossover prog band has a great melodic style. They don't try to overdo it on technicality or speed. They write beautiful music that arouses the emotions and lifts the spirits. Amazing, soaring melodies are the key here. The band even plays around with some Spanish sounds here, too.

This album is great from start to finish. "Spanish 411" and "Faded Photographs" are both fantastic songs, but the unequivocally best song on this album is "The Willing Victim". This song is simply stunning in every way. The structure is superb and the vocals are breath- taking!! It takes you and allows you to soar on the crest of the melody. This would have been a 5-star album for sure had the rest of the album been as fantastic. As it is, it is a strong 4-star album. Highly recommended!

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#964717) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013

5 stars 9.5/10 Today is my birthday, and honestly see this as a gift. It's been a while since I've been trying to get this album after hearing the fantastic Somewhere In The Middle on the site, and now I had my chance I can say that I was not disappointed! Hands down one of the best albums of recent time ... (read more)

Report this review (#585099) | Posted by voliveira | Friday, December 09, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars A perfect balance. The key to Love Remains the Same's success is its tone: it flawlessly maintains a very specific tension between restrained energy and sunlight-soaked psychedelic bombast. The music always carries you on the edge, while being thoroughly enjoyable. It's emotionally-charged and n ... (read more)

Report this review (#451679) | Posted by Earendil | Tuesday, May 24, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Though steeped in some classic rock themes and sounds, the Von Hertzen Brothers have melded a collection of heavily layered and complex yet highly melodic songs in an album which feel fresh, original and which has an amazingly consistent quality. I consider this album a modern masterpiece. It ha ... (read more)

Report this review (#426210) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Friday, April 01, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I´m absolutely charmed by this album and somewhat surprised that these three Finnish prodigies (& Co. of course) are relative unknown inside or outside Prog Rock community! Five stars are fully outright here, because that´s a masterpiece without any doubts!!! The first star is for vocals. Natural ... (read more)

Report this review (#424248) | Posted by Gandalfino | Tuesday, March 29, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars When compared to The Von Hertzen Brothers' first two albums, Love Remains the Same proves comfortably familiar in its overall sound, but at the same time much more ambitious and realized. Time has proven to be a friend to the Brothers, who have used it to hone their style and focus their ener ... (read more)

Report this review (#377211) | Posted by usa prog music | Sunday, January 09, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I had some doubt rating this album. Finally I decided to give a 5 - maybe it's not the second Dark Side or Red, but this album is a sign of the times, it shows that progrock is alive and in a great form. Classic symphonic rock meets here pop and alternative rock (a bit in a Muse way), compositions ... (read more)

Report this review (#208647) | Posted by epistan | Wednesday, March 25, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I decided to finally give this album the time it deserves, and listen to it from the beginning to the end. Listened well and closely. This album was released some time after their second one, which was a great musical success. In the end, this one ended up to be a success too, but rather on the mark ... (read more)

Report this review (#201662) | Posted by Passionist | Wednesday, February 04, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VON HERTZEN BROTHERS "Love Remains the Same"