BABY GRANDMOTHERS

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Baby Grandmothers Baby Grandmothers album cover

Buy BABY GRANDMOTHERS Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 2007

1. Somebody Keeps Calling My Name (9:14)
2. Being Is More Than Life I (5:40)
3. Bergakungen (16:19)
4. Being Is More Than Life II (19:44)
5. St. George's Dragon I (7:03)
6. St. George's Dragon II (0:57)
7. Raw Diamond (1:30)

Search BABY GRANDMOTHERS Baby Grandmothers lyrics

Search BABY GRANDMOTHERS Baby Grandmothers tabs

- Pelle Ekman / drums
- Bengt 'Bella' Lannarsson / bass
- Kenny Håkansson / guitar, vocals

CD Subliminal Sounds SUB-TILCD23 (2007 SWE)
2LP Subliminal Sounds SUBLP20 (2007 SWE)
tracks were all recorded 1967/68 - 1,2 studio - 3-7 live

Thanks to Rivertree for the addition

BABY GRANDMOTHERS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BABY GRANDMOTHERS Baby Grandmothers Music

Baby GrandmothersBaby Grandmothers
Subliminal Sounds 2007

More places to buy BABY GRANDMOTHERS music online Buy BABY GRANDMOTHERS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BABY GRANDMOTHERS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BABY GRANDMOTHERS Baby Grandmothers ratings distribution

BABY GRANDMOTHERS Baby Grandmothers reviews

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
3 stars It took 40 years until the musical legacy of the BABY GRANDMOTHERS was finally collected on a compact disc by the swedish Subliminal label. The band recorded two studio songs during a Finland tour in 1968 which were released as a single by a finnish label with small amount of copies. This vinyl is a much sought-after item for collectors today. This compilation is opened by them and Somebody Keeps Calling My Name and Being Is More Than Life are really ahead of time.

You will find a rare but unspectacular vocal contribution by Kenny Håkansson first and then the band is letting the music flow in the vein of Cream's live jams from the Wheels Of Fire album. But this is all spiked with spaced out portions where you can't believe that this is from 1968. It must have been very courageous in this period to present two jamming tunes coupled with some weirdness as the band's debut. Hence you may not find significant differences to the live recordings which are completing this release.

They are (with one exception) recorded at the legendary 'Filips' club in Stockholm, a breeding ground for new experimental bands. The following two long tracks are probably from the same gig because of some stylistical similiarities. Bergakungen is mostly provided with a repetitive hypnotic bass and a straight drum work where Kenny Håkansson is able to shine with his guitar skills and uncounted variations of the main theme - references to the Jimi Hendrix style included. The live version of Being Is More Than Life is extended as one can expect and sees a more virtuoso bass playing. St. George's Dragon starts with a weird guitar appearance and tribal drums later gliding into a furious finale.

60 minutes lasting psych jams ahead of time. But to enjoy this you really must be a die-hard fan. I pull off my hat though to their experimental approach. However - listening to BABY GRANDMOTHERS's music for one hour continously is a little bit too much and straining for me. Additionally the sound quality is not top-notch which is not unusual for live recordings from the 60s of course. All in all a good album recommended to collectors of early psychedelic music with a gusto for extended jams.

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#194259) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 18, 2008

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
5 stars This solitary artifact borne from spores of group Mecki Mark Men really blew my mind, Subliminal Sounds' gatefold double vinyl surging raw impressionistic psychedelic rock from the late 1960's days of Sweden. The band has a very strong trio playing style, similar to the sound of acid rock legends Cream and The Jimi Hendrix Experience, from which the later one mentioned they warmed up on their Swedish tour. Aiming for mutual reactive playing, Kenny, Bengt and Pelle left the hit song try-outs far behind, and focused successfully to long, loose and trippy archaic improvisations. All players are very convincing, bringing much content to the sound, and both the raw crushing and tender melancholy of group's playing sucks a willing listener for a voyage to surreal world of impulsive sounds. Except for few wailings in the first track, the music is totally instrumental.

When compared for example to Träd, Gräs och Stenar, the approach is less Dadaist and not so minimalistic, and end results of jammings are in my opinion more concrete than the inventions of fine group referred. This band reaches also over 16 and nearly 20 minutes long aggressive bluesy stoner improvisations at the middle part of the album, and this kind of psychedelic imagination cannot get much better. The live treatments captured to the record culminates everything which is important and beautiful for me in the original psychedelic acid rock, breaking the gates of tamed produced rock music and causality yearning questions of logic mind; It is beautiful, strong, impulsive, contact, sincere, innovative, healing, human, and true. The improvisations are not pointless and boring, but constructive and full of powerful musical ideas and feelings. The sounds are quite raw, but I like the analogue tape recordings, and the sound of the trio is well balanced, guitar being slightly more forward than the bass, which can be heard well as it does not understandably play same notes as the lead guitar on an arena of instrumental trio jammings.

Recommended highly for all fans of raw psychedelic, reactive improvisational imaginative rock music, and also for those interested of original 1960's Swedish "Progg" scene. For me this discovery and listening it was a "religious experience", and resides among my all time favorite records.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#201815) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 05, 2009

Review by DamoXt7942
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Moderator / Psych Team
4 stars Very attractive low-fi sound chandeliers they could show on their eponymous (and simultaneously their one and only) compilation album.

Their approach and movement are also very surprising - that can remind me not only 60s psychedelic scene such as CREAM, but also The Grateful Dead, the representative of "psychedelic stage" around 1970. Their masterpiece "Live Dead" - this material was just contemporary with BABY GRANDMOTHERS' sole single - with Gerry Garcia's drone guitar (I call him "Guitar Trailer" :-P) and Pigpen, Mickey and Bill's wet and lyrical drums and percussion, should twitter to me with the same message I always feel. Of course dunno if each band could much influence on the other one, but I'm sure the mainstream of psychedelic rock music (whether progressive or not) around 1970 should be such as their styles. That is, on the stickily persistent bass-line and percussion rhythm, they might play drone and eccentrically amplified sounds with the audience and...some medication?

Hailing this wonderful psychedelia, let me emphasize all of their songs be terrific, especially the third track Bergakungen as a reminder of Dead's trailing and rumbling guitar initiative in St. Stephan. First listening to this did let me assume that this song should be recorded as a live or studio-live one (and that's absolutely right!), and they might not play so lively without any audience otherwise I imagine? This song should be one of the most informative ones of all I consider. Also indeed fantastic are the first and second tracks Somebody Keeps Calling My Name and Being Is More Than Life in their only single, but sadly their sounds off the stage were collected smaller I feel - they should be an 'outside' outfit and should be a textbook of psychedelic progressive rock scene like The Grateful Dead.

Thanks Grandma.

Send comments to DamoXt7942 (BETA) | Report this review (#254543) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 06, 2009

Post a review of BABY GRANDMOTHERS "Baby Grandmothers"