BUDGIE

Search BUDGIE Budgie tabs

- Tony Bourge / Guitar, Vocals
- Ray Phillips / Percussion, Drums
- Burke Shelley / Bass, Guitar (Bass), Vocals, Mellotron

LP MCA Records MKPS 2018 (1971) (Kapp Records in the USA)
CD Roadrunner (1991)

Thanks to chrs stacey for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

BUDGIE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BUDGIE Budgie Music

Best of BudgieBest of Budgie
BudgieBudgie
Remastered · Import
Belle Antique 2013
The Best Of Budgie 0008811169824, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H USD $12.67 Buy It Now 2h 32m
PROMO WHITE LABEL / BUDGIE BANDOLIER USD $99.99 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Very Best of, 0008811169824, Budgie USD $11.25 Buy It Now 5h 18m
READING ROCK 1980 IRON MAIDEN BUDGIE ORIGINAL POSTER SIZE ADVERT 26 JULY 1980 USD $18.71 Buy It Now 6h 39m
BUDGIE - NIGHTFLIGHT / 1st PRESSING RCALP6003 / 1981 RCA / 12" LP ROCK METAL UK USD $31.04 Buy It Now 12h 7m
Very Best of, 0008811169824, Budgie USD $9.46 Buy It Now 13h 17m
BUDGIE Best Of CD 10 Track UK Spectrum 1997 USD $7.79 Buy It Now 14h 21m
BUDGIE power supply 1980-FIRST UK PRESS - ACTIVE LAB (A1;B1) -MINT USD $15.59 [1 bids]
BUDGIE squawk 1972- FIRST UK PRESS - MCA LABEL (A-1L;B-1L) -EX+ USD $15.59 [2 bids]
Pretty Talk - Flexi Disc teaches your Budgie to Talk Sparkie Williams c 1960 USD $7.79 [0 bids]
BUDGIE - IN FOR THE KILL - VINYL LP RECORD USD $9.35 [1 bids]
BUDGIE:NIGHTFLIGHT+2 USD $10.91 [1 bids]
BUDGIE - BEST OF BUDGIE Vinyl Lp Record Cube Records 1981 USD $7.79 [0 bids]
BUDGIE - IN FOR THE KILL very rare UK MCA 1st press LP superb USD $78.01 Buy It Now 17h 2m
BUDGIE - LIVE IN MILWAUKEE 1978 - CD - UK HARD ROCK/METAL USD $15.59 [1 bids]
BUDGIE "In for the kill!""ORG cd MCA 89,made in Japan 18P2-2765 USD $34.99 Buy It Now 18h 41m
BUDGIE LP IN FOR THE KILL UK ORIGINAL FULLY LAMINTED NICE COPY USD $62.42 Buy It Now 18h 53m
RARE BUDGIE "IMPECKABLE" PROMO LP WHITE LABEL PROG HARD ROCK METAL USD $7.95 [0 bids]
1976 Budgie LP If I Were Brittania USD $10.00 [1 bids]
Budgie-Bandolier UK hard rock psych cd 4 bonus USD $23.99 Buy It Now 21h 42m
BRUCE FORSYTH I'm A Good Boy 7" B/w My Little Budgie But Has Name Written On B S USD $7.79 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE I Turned To Stone 7" Orange Vinyl Part One B/w Part Two UK Rca 1981 USD $13.09 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE Bored With Russia 7" Limited Edition Pic Disc B/w Don't Cry UK Rca 1982 USD $13.09 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie "The Best Of" Psych Hard Rock Prog LP MCA UK NM USD $7.99 [1 bids]
BUDGIE - I AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN 7" VINYL USD $17.15 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE - I TURNED TO STONE - A1/B1 - ORANGE 7" VINYL USD $1.95 [1 bids]
best of budgie lp vgc 1st press USD $5.51 [5 bids]
Budgie Bandolier Vinyl LP 1975 A&M Records SP 4618 Classic Heavy Metal USD $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie Squawk Vinyl LP 1972 MCA Records KS 3669 Classic Heavy Metal USD $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - 1999 "Heavier Than Air" [2 CD Set] USD $60.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie Bandolier vinyl album USD $20.29 Buy It Now 1 day
"Hybrids" The Creatures; 1999 CD - Siouxsie Sioux & Budgie *NEAR MINT DISC* USD $19.79 Buy It Now 1 day
12" promo EP CREATURES Fury Eyes 3 mixes Abstinence Siouxsie Budgie 1990 punk NM USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE = BANDOLIER = LP USD $45.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Reading Rock 1 Japan Promo Label Vinyl LP OBI Budgie Marillion Michael Schenker USD $79.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SLADE/BUDGIE/HAWKWIND/GRAND PRIX/TRIUMPH/ALKATRAZZ - HOT SHOWER , RCA 1982 , EX/ USD $6.16 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE Never Turn Your Back On A Friend CD 7 tracks Repertoire RR-4013-C USD $16.50 [2 bids]
Budgie - Squawk CD [Bonus Tracks] [Remastered] USD $17.67 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE - If I Were Brittania I'd Waive The Rules lp on A&M SP-4593 VG+ VG+ USD $18.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie Bandolier LP A&M Records 1975 Vinyl SP 4613 SP-4613 Metal Hard Rock USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE BANDOLIER HEAVY ROCK /PROG LP UK MCF 2723 SUPERB SOUND HIGH GLOSS VG++ USD $19.99 [0 bids]
BUDGIE "Squawk" LP 2014 Noteworthy NP22V (180 Gram Vinyl) New Sealed USD $55.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE - MAGAZINE CUTTING (FULL PAGE PHOTO) (REF J) USD $7.02 Buy It Now 3 days
Reading Rock '81 Evening Post Special Newspaper (Kinks/Gillan/Budgie/Girlschool) USD $9.36 Buy It Now 3 days
Life in San Antonio, Budgie USD $23.45 Buy It Now 3 days
BUDGIE / MCA EARLY BEST / WITH OBI / NM MINT- TOP CLEAN USD $149.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BUDGIE I Ain't No Mountain / Honey 7" MCA 175 A1/B1 Near Mint USD $23.33 Buy It Now 3 days
BUDGIE SQUAWK - CASSETTE TAPE ALBUM USD $20.27 Buy It Now 3 days
NAZARETH CD - 2XS/Sound Elixir (CD, Apr-2011, Salvo) URIAH HEEP BUDGIE SABBATH USD $7.99 [0 bids]
Mega Rare Budgie Bandolier Blue Label Singapore 12" ELP2031 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BUDGIE USA A&M White Label Promo If I Were Brittania I'd Waive the Rules Mint LP USD $39.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Budgie Squawk vinyl record MCE 2502 UK Import USD $75.00 Buy It Now 3 days
T.REX - Golden Greats CD JAPAN ONLY '87 MP32-5127 Marc Bolan Budgie Smokie USD $33.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BUDGIE - CRIME AGAINST THE WORLD - HELLBENDER -1980 U.K. N/M VINYL POWER POP USD $13.00 Buy It Now 3 days
BUDGIE 36"X32" INCH MOSAIC WALL POSTER BANDOLIER HEAVY METAL BURKE SHELLEY USD $20.27 Buy It Now 3 days
BUDGIE Cap Australian Tour 2009 Limited Edition - NEW! USD $25.67 Buy It Now 4 days
BUDGIE Deliver Us From Evil UK 1st Press COMPLETE LP NM USD $34.33 Buy It Now 4 days
Budgie - Crash Course / Disintergrating Parachutist Woman 7" Turkish Edt. USD $50.00 Buy It Now 4 days
BUDGIE-SQUAWK-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Hi25 USD $31.99 Buy It Now 4 days
BUDGIE Impeckable Remastered CD + Bonus Tracks NEW USD $22.55 Buy It Now 4 days
Budgie - Heavier Than Air Rarest Eggs 2CD Set USD $73.43 Buy It Now 4 days
Budgie - We Came, We Saw... 2CD Set USD $73.43 Buy It Now 4 days
BUDGIE In For The Kill! 1974 UK VINYL LP A1/B1 EXCELLENT CONDITION USD $78.01 Buy It Now 4 days
Alchemist & Budgie - The Good Book 2 CD RAP HIP HOP * NEW * USD $39.00 [0 bids]
ROCK GIANTS CASSETTE TAPE JUDAS PRIEST ATOMIC ROOSTER UFO BUDGIE WARHORSE DOKKEN USD $6.23 Buy It Now 4 days
2 x 7" metal singles budgie / poison vinyls all excellent sleeves very good USD $7.80 Buy It Now 4 days
BUDGIE [REMASTER] NEW CD USD $18.10 Buy It Now 4 days
Never Turn Your Back on a Frie [VINYL] Budgie Vinyl USD $55.98 Buy It Now 4 days
Bandolier [Analog] Budgie LP Record USD $56.86 Buy It Now 4 days
Radio Sessions 1974 And 1978 Budgie Audio CD USD $34.72 Buy It Now 5 days
The BBC Recordings Budgie Audio CD USD $34.72 Buy It Now 5 days
Life in San Antonio Budgie Audio CD USD $31.04 Buy It Now 5 days
Budgie-Squawk UK psych hard rock Japanese SHM-CD Mini lp USD $32.99 Buy It Now 5 days
BUDGIE - Keeping A Rendezvous - 1981 UK limited edition 7" vinyl PICTURE DISC USD $15.59 Buy It Now 5 days
budgie bandolier cd wea music japan wmc5-84 USD $10.00 [0 bids]
USD $15.00 Buy It Now
BUDGIE POWER SUPPLY ON RCA ACTIVE1980 M- NM. HEAVY METAL POWER TRIO IMP. ENG. USD $15.00 [0 bids]
USD $25.00 Buy It Now
BUDGIE NIGHTFLIGHT ON RCA ACTIVE1981 M- NM. IMP. ENGLAND HARD ROCK POWER TRIO USD $15.00 [0 bids]
USD $20.00 Buy It Now
BUDGIE DELIVER US FROM EVIL ON RCA ACTIVE1982 M- NM. POWER TRIO IMP. CAN. USD $25.00 [0 bids]
USD $35.00 Buy It Now
Budgie - Bored With Russia - 7" Vinyl Picture Disc - Limited Edition USD $12.47 Buy It Now 5 days
BUDGIE BEST OF BUDGIE ON MCA EMI 1975 M- NM. IMP. ENGLAND HARD ROCK POWER TRIO USD $7.50 [1 bids]
MIKE OLDFIELD BUDGIE JIM CAPALDI Vintage Music Press Article/Cutting 1974 USD $15.61 Buy It Now 5 days
Budgie,Power Supply,Includes insert, which is in excellent condition,LP USD $23.39 Buy It Now 5 days
THE CREATURES Anima Animus + BOOMERANG 2 CD's 1989 BUDGIE SIOUXSIE & BANSHEES USD $24.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Squawk Budgie Audio CD USD $34.72 Buy It Now 5 days
VINYL LP - BUDGIE'S COUNTRY - SILVER ACE - HIL LP 1019 USD $14.03 Buy It Now 5 days
QUEEN THIN LIZZY BUDGIE VINEGAR JOE gig guide Music Press article/cutting 1973 USD $15.61 Buy It Now 5 days
Budgie - Keeping a Rendezvous + Apparatus - 1991 UK 7" 45 RPM Picture USD $8.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Rare BUDGIE CONCERT PROGRAMME - 1976 UK TOUR - Support Act HOBO USD $16.39 [2 bids]
If I Were Britannia I'd Waive the Rules Budgie Audio CD USD $34.72 Buy It Now 5 days
You're All Living In Cuckooland Budgie Audio CD USD $29.48 Buy It Now 5 days
BUDGIE TICKET STUB 1978 IMPECKABLE UK TOUR EMPIRE THEATRE LIVEPOOL STRIFE USD $1.54 [0 bids]
BUDGIE TICKET STUB 1980 POWER SUPPLY UK TOUR PRESTON GUILD HALL USD $1.54 [0 bids]
Impeckable Budgie Audio CD USD $34.72 Buy It Now 5 days
If Swallowed Do Not Induce Vomiting Budgie Audio CD USD $23.66 Buy It Now 5 days
Nightflight Budgie Audio CD USD $34.19 Buy It Now 5 days
Best Of Budgie - Budgie (1999, CD New) USD $7.26 Buy It Now 5 days
Budgie - Best Of Budgie [CD New] USD $7.54 Buy It Now 6 days
Budgie - Best Of Budgie CD USD $13.29 Buy It Now 6 days
HAWKWIND / Budgie / Status Quo Cardiff 1976 UK Poster size Press ADVERT 16x12" USD $10.07 Buy It Now 6 days
Budgie ? If I Were Brittania I'd Waive The Rules LP PROMO 1976 W/CD BACKUP USD $19.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy BUDGIE music online Buy BUDGIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BUDGIE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BUDGIE Budgie ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(26%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(47%)

BUDGIE Budgie reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Ever sought a nude disintegrating parachutist woman? Look no further!

While Welsh heavy rock band Budgie were formed in 1967 (under the name Hills Contemporary Grass), it took until 1971 for the band to release their first album. The line up indicates that the trio add mellotron to their basic guitar/bass/drums set up, but do not be fooled by this; this is an album of guitar driven rock. Produced by Rodger Bain there is a distinct relationship with the sound with Black Sabbath, who he also produced. Other bands who have clearly influenced or been influenced by Budgie are the likes of Led Zeppelin and Rush. In the case of the latter, the vocals of Burke Shelley bear a passing resemblance with those of Geddy Lee.

"Budgie" was recorded on 8 track tape in only four days, and while some overdubbing was subsequently added, this is essentially a live in the studio affair. The sleeve notes advise us that the band are "not particularly subtle", and that "They're not progressive (whatever you understand that to mean)", but the track arrangements can belie such statements.

The album is essentially a succession of blues rock numbers with the occasional softer counterpoint. The opening "Guts" is a heavy riff infested song which sets the scene well for both this and future albums. We are though caught off guard by the delicate acoustic "Everything in my heart" which follows, even if it does run for just a minute. The mood appears to continue on "The author", but the initial reflective nature of the track is soon replaced by a more orthodox heavy rock number.

It is though "Nude disintegrating parachutist woman" (what a wonderful title, it does actually feature in the lyrics!) which offers the first taste of the real Budgie. This superb 8 minute romp takes us through an altogether more adventurous arrangement. The lead guitar here is the highlight of the track, but the driving nature of the song combined with a genuine raw excitement, make for a compelling piece of early metal.

"Rape of the locks" is the first of three 6 minute pieces which make up side 2, the song featuring another interesting arrangement of what is essentially a basic blues rock number. "All night petrol" slows things down slightly, sounding a bit like Led Zeppelin's "Lemon song" at times. The track features another fine lead guitar break, this time with some upfront complementary bass.

"You and I" is another brief acoustic number which sounds distinctly like a John Lennon demo. The album closes with "Homicidal suicidal", another Sabbs like riff infested blues rock piece.

Budgie's relationship with prog comes not from their raw guitar based sound, but from the relative complexity of the arrangements of songs such as "Nude disintegrating parachutist woman". This, combined with their willingness to occasionally reveal their softer side, offers an appealing diversity to what would otherwise be a straightforward guitar rock album. No one for the prog purists by any means, but those interested in discovering the roots of prog metal and those looking for some good old fashioned lead guitar magic should find much to enjoy here. Great sleeve too!

Review by Chris S
3 stars 1971....twas a good year..and it was too for the Welsh trio called Budgie, fronted by Burke Shelley on vocals and bass, Tony Bourge ala guitar and in this beginning period Ray Phillips doing the drums and percussion. The albums kicks off with the rockin plodder ' Guts'. It sets the tone for the trademark Budgie sound that followed for many years. ' Everything in My heart' is a short ballady interlude which they practiced in similar ways on follow up work. ' The Author ' is next and starts off as a slow bluesy song nicely tempered by Shelley's great voice and builds with some great straight forward rock like guitar riffs. If you have never heard Budgie but like early Rush then do yourself a favour and try this band out. They won't disappoint and consistently provided some great music over the next decade or so not least on this solid debut.

' Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman' is an eight minute guitar rock fest not disimilar to some Wishbone Ash material. Bourge highlighting his talents on the guitar. My personal favourite is ' Rape the Locks' which swerves all over the show with some great riffs and drumming from Phillips. ' You And I' is another short track setting a nice moody balance between the more energetic themes with tranquility. ' Homicidal Suicidal' closes the set with some great Shelley wails amidst blues and rock backdrops. Important note: Rodger Bain of Black Sabbath fame produces this album. A good start on the rock scene for Budgie, not necessarily high in progressive 'points' but a solid album to enjoy or even explore if you need an introduction to this interesting band from Wales,UK.

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
3 stars The debut album of Welsh heavy trio smashed the ears of the early 1970's listeners pretty hard, I understood they had the most strongest sound of that time along with Black Sabbath. I have understood that these groups were considered as pioneers of the stoner rock sound: heavy repetitive metal riffs with pulsing groovy rhythm and long tracks with simple structure. Budgie's personal sound is built from Tony Bourge's acoustic electric guitar, which has very unclear and fuzzy sound. He plays very hard riffs and also great blues rock solos. Burke Shelley's bass guitar and wild and heavy drumming of Ray Phillips dominate the sound with volume, and though I like the sound texture I would wish the guitar being slightly more in front. When I learned myself to play bass guitar, I listened and learned over to these early Budige vinyls, as their melodic lines are pleasant but simple, and very audible on the instruments I tried to meditate. The vocals of the bass player are really funny, sounding like a woman or a young child. I think there is a similar contrast like in the band's name, Budgie representing a group which was very heavy rock in its time.

The song titles "Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman" represent the lyrical line: Jokes and quite poor though possibly sincere everyman's poetry. From the songs, the most best of them is in my opinion "The Author", combining a moody quiet acoustic beginning, which evolves in a pretty way to very aggressive stoner jamming. The starter "Guts" is also ok, building up from a simple chromatic riff. "Rape of The Locks" and "All Night Petrol" have some slightly irritating parts in them, but there are some interesting musical parts in them. The parachutists song is bit too long so it starts to sound boring after several plays, and the few ca. minute lasting folk tunes sound more like unfinished song ideas. The final song "Homicidal Suicidal" is then one of the best songs here, having very aggressive parts, double bass drums and fuzzy sound.

If you like other 1970's vintage heavy rock bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, but have not heard yet Budgie, I would recommend their four or five first albums warmly. A taste for personal sounds and tolerance for extreme vocals are required.

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Budgie's debut is a fun album from a fun band which makes for a generally fun listen. I think they have the honour of being the first hard-rock group ever that was influenced by Black Sabbath. 3000 others would follow.

The album is somewhat inconsistent and drags on a bit, but it has a number of competent heavy blues tracks that fans of Zeppelin and Black Sabbath shouldn't miss. Due to the high-pitched Plant squeal of Burke Shelley, the band also sounds like the later debut from Rush. The album starts strongly with Guts, a mix of Page guitars and Plant vocals with Butler bass and Ward drums. Originality wasn't the idea I guess. The delicate 50 seconds of Everything In My Heart has more personality then the tracks around it. More adequate Zep and Sab jamming follows on The Author, Nude Disintegrating etc... and Homicidal Suicidal.

This band hasn't all that much on offer and next to nothing proggy, but they might appeal to prog fans to whom the idea of a Black Zeppelin sounds alluring. In fact, I would nominate Budgie for being the first grunge band ever.

Review by Warthur
4 stars Budgie's debut album, with its high-pitched singing, fast playing, and one obligatory acoustic love song (You and I) might be confused for a standard early 70s hard rock release... except for the guitars. The sludgy, fuzz-drenched guitar line on opening song Guts makes it clear that here is a band that has been paying attention to Black Sabbath.

Whilst they're not as heavy as Sabbath was, it ought to be remembered that in 1971 *nobody* was as heavy as Sabbath was - and these boys come very, very close indeed. Generally playing at a fast tempo which would influence both the early New Wave of British Heavy Metal bands and Metallica, the group is also capable of slowing it down a bit to an almost doomy pace at points, as well as producing long, complex pieces such as Nude Disintegrating Parachute Woman and Homicidal Suicidal. Fans of early metal, stoner metal, and progressive metal will all find plenty to enjoy in this one.

4 stars I adore this band, there is just something about the music that grabs me and holds tight although I can't really decipher what it is - I just go with the flow without trying to analyse the music and what it is that makes me a full on band fan. The vocals, to me, are what a Budgie would sound like ... (read more)

Report this review (#1020764) | Posted by sukmytoe | Tuesday, August 20, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Although not in the true sense of Progressive Rock, Budgie has been one of my favourite prog related acts for a while. This album is near and dear to my heart, with it's mix of Zeppelin styled vocals from Burke Shelley and fast, heavy almost sludge of Sababth mixed in. There are obvious blue ... (read more)

Report this review (#338364) | Posted by Jazzywoman | Monday, November 29, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BUDGIE "Budgie"