BUDGIE

rock music collection

Buy BUDGIE Music
Studio Album, released in 1971

1. Guts (4:20)
2. Everthing In My Heart (0:52)
3. The Author (6:28)
4. Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman (8:41)
5. Rape Of The Locks (6:12)
6. All Night Petrol (5:57)
7. You And I (1:41)
8. Homicidal Suicidal (6:41)

Total time 40:52

Bonus Tracks on 2004 remaster:
9. Crash Course In Brain Surgery (Alternate Mix) (2:36)
10. Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman (Single Edit) (4:08)
11. Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman (2003 rehearsal version) (3:45)
12. Guts (2003 rehearsal version) (3:53)

- Tony Bourge / guitar (1-10)
- Burke Shelley / vocals, bass, Mellotron
- Raymond Phillips / percussion & drums (1-10)

With:
- Simon Lees / guitar (11,12)
- Steve Williams / drums (11,12)

Recorded live-in-studio

Artwork: David Sparling

LP MCA Records ‎- MKPS 2018 (1971, UK)
LP Noteworthy Productions ‎- NP21V (2014, UK)

CD Roadracer Records ‎- RRD 9309 (1991, US)
CD Noteworthy Productions ‎- NP2 (2004, UK) Remastered by Mike Brown & Robert Corich with 4 bonus tracks

Thanks to chrs stacey for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy BUDGIE Budgie Music

BudgieBudgie
Remastered
Belle Antique 2013
$179.99
Live In Milwaukee 1978 by Budgie (2013-10-21)Live In Milwaukee 1978 by Budgie (2013-10-21)
$53.40
Live In St. Louis 1976 by Budgie (2015-10-21)Live In St. Louis 1976 by Budgie (2015-10-21)
$51.99
$83.22
In for the Kill by BudgieIn for the Kill by Budgie
Repertoire
$93.96
Live In Milwaukee 1978 by Budgie (2013-08-03)Live In Milwaukee 1978 by Budgie (2013-08-03)
$53.40

Budgie -Impeckable-Cd (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $17.27 Buy It Now 1h 8m
BUDGIE-POWER SUPPLY (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $17.27 Buy It Now 1h 8m
BUDGIE - BANDOLIER (1975/1990) CD Jewel Case+FREE GIFT Burke Shelley John Thomas USD $14.95 Buy It Now 1h 47m
SIOUXSIE CREATURES FEAST UK CASSETTE SHEMC 1 1983 PUNK BUDGIE MISS THE GIRL USD $7.83 Buy It Now 5h 6m
BUDGIE IF SWALLOWED DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING 12" 4 TRACKS 1980 - Nice clean record USD $16.31 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Budgie - In for the Kill! (Bonus Tracks) CD NEW USD $25.66 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Budgie If I Were Brittania UK vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $50.91 Buy It Now 7h 26m
BUDGIE The Best Of Budgie CD USD $3.90 Buy It Now 7h 42m
BUDGIE~"IF I WERE BRITTANIA I'D WAIVE THE RULES"~AMLH 68377~A2/B2 1st~76'~ EX/EX USD $33.91 Buy It Now 7h 51m
BUDGIE:BANDOLIER USD $11.73 Buy It Now 8h 17m
Budgie Impeckable UK vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $50.91 Buy It Now 9h 27m
Budgie Nightflight UK vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $50.91 Buy It Now 10h 32m
Budgie Bandolier Japan Import CD Rare OOP MCA No UPC Original Issue USD $25.00 Buy It Now 12h 38m
Budgie Deliver Us From Evil UK vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $50.91 Buy It Now 12h 51m
Budgie Power Supply UK vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $50.91 Buy It Now 12h 51m
BUDGIE - If Swallowed Do Not Induce Vomiting, RARE 1980 UK 12"....NICE COPY USD $11.09 [4 bids]
BUDGIE : CUTTINGS COLLECTION -adverts- USD $9.13 Buy It Now 12h 56m
the Creatures (Siouxsie Soux & Budgie) Boomerang RARE Out of Print Cassette '89 USD $12.00 Buy It Now 13h 24m
original punk new wave flyer LAMBRETTAS / STIFF LITTLE FINGERS / BUDGIE / PHOTOS USD $30.00 [0 bids]
New Impeckable - Budgie - Rock & Pop Music Vinyl USD $38.45 Buy It Now 14h 5m
BUDGIE - Last Stage - CD - Import - **BRAND NEW/STILL SEALED** USD $25.95 Buy It Now 14h 18m
BUDGIE (METAL) - YOU'RE ALL LIVING IN CUCKOOLAND NEW CD USD $18.11 Buy It Now 15h 43m
BUDGIE - Best Of Budgie - Budgie - CD - Extra Tracks Import - *NEW/STILL SEALED* USD $29.95 Buy It Now 15h 55m
BUDGIE - Power Supply - CD - Extra Tracks Import - **BRAND NEW/STILL SEALED** USD $66.75 Buy It Now 15h 59m
BUDGIE - Power Supply - CD - Extra Tracks Import - **Excellent Condition** USD $32.95 Buy It Now 15h 59m
If Swallowed Do Not Induce Vomiting - Budgie (2017, Vinyl New) USD $20.76 Buy It Now 16h 34m
PRECIOUS METAL LP (BUDGIE GILLAN AXE TYGERS OF PAN TANG GARY MOORE WISHBONE ASH) USD $6.52 [0 bids]
BUDGIE 36"X32" INCH MOSAIC WALL POSTER BANDOLIER HEAVY METAL BURKE SHELLEY USD $16.95 Buy It Now 19h 18m
BUDGIE In For The Kill! JAPAN CD 18P2-2765 1989 USD $52.34 Buy It Now 20h 53m
You'Re All Living In Cuckooland - Budgie (2017, Vinyl New) USD $26.83 Buy It Now 21h 25m
Budgie - If I Were Brittania I'd Waive The Rules - LP - UK Version - Progressive USD $39.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
BUDGIE-Budgie (UK IMPORT) VINYL NEW USD $28.32 Buy It Now 22h 53m
Budgie vinyl LP album record Deliver Us From Evil UK RCALP6054 RCA 1982 USD $39.08 Buy It Now 22h 56m
Bored With Russia Budgie 7" vinyl picture disc single UK RCAP271 RCA 1982 USD $14.29 Buy It Now 23h 41m
BUDGIE Cap Australian Tour 2009 Limited Edition - NEW! USD $25.79 Buy It Now 23h 50m
AXE / BUDGIE / LYNYRD SKYNYRD - PRECIOUS METAL press clipping 1980 (17/05/80) USD $5.21 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie I Turned To Stone Polish 7" vinyl single record S-445 TONPRESS 1981 USD $16.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie vinyl LP album record In For The Kill - 1st - EX UK MCF2546 MCA 1974 USD $104.33 Buy It Now 1 day
I Turned To Stone - Orange Budgie UK 7" vinyl single record BUDGE4 RCA 1981 USD $16.57 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE Bored with Russia 7" PICTURE DISC RCA RCAP271 USD $8.55 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE 'IN FOR THE KILL' Remastered Vinyl LP 2014 - NEW & SEALED USD $24.78 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE This Is Budgie Live In Concert Living Legend CD USD $24.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE-If Swallowed Do Not Induce Vomiting (UK IMPORT) VINYL NEW USD $19.52 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE-Live In Los Angeles 1978 (UK IMPORT) VINYL NEW USD $32.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE-You`Re All Living In Cookooland (UK IMPORT) VINYL NEW USD $27.19 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE concerts in Holland 1976 Dutch Press ADVERT 10x5 inches USD $12.98 Buy It Now 1 day
THE CREATURES Rare Autograph LP RECORD Feast SIOUXSIE Budgie USD $149.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - I Ain't No Mountain / Honey (7", Vinyl Single) MCA Records MCA 175 1975 USD $13.05 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie -Impeckable-Cd (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $18.24 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - If Swallowed Do Not Induce Vomiting Vinyl 12" Single 4 Track EP 1980 USD $26.08 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE - Bandolier (Repertoire picture disc Cd) USD $9.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie Nightflight RCALP 6003 LP Record Vinyl UK 18D021 USD $44.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GILLAN (DEEP PURPLE) - DOUBLE TROUBLE - PROGRAMME 1981 +BUDGIE F118 USD $16.96 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE - IF I WERE BRITTANIA I'D WAIVE THE RULES - PROGRAMME 1976 RARE F212 USD $39.15 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - The MCA Albums 1973 1975 [CD] USD $13.71 Buy It Now 1 day
< DIAMOND HEAD BUDGIE 84 TOUR DATES small original magazine advert fridge magnet USD $1.29 Buy It Now 1 day
< DIAMOND HEAD BUDGIE 84 TOUR DATES small original magazine advert fridge magnet USD $2.60 Buy It Now 1 day
< DIAMOND HEAD BUDGIE 84 TOUR DATES small original magazine advert fridge magnet USD $3.26 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE Bored with Russia 7" PS poster slv RCA 1982 exc USD $2.64 [0 bids]
BUDGIE - Keeping A Rendezvous - 7 inch Picture Disc Vinyl (F117) USD $9.77 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE HEAVIER THAN AIR RAREST EGGS PROMO CD MINT AND SEALED USD $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
The Creatures 'Eraser Cut' 10" Vinyl, Siouxsie/Budgie - MINT/UNPLAYED USD $19.99 [0 bids]
USD $26.00 Buy It Now
Budgie-Cardiff International Arena 2001-original advert framed USD $19.56 Buy It Now 1 day
New Power Supply - Budgie - Rock & Pop Music Vinyl USD $38.45 Buy It Now 1 day
New Deliver Us From Evil - Budgie - Rock & Pop Music Vinyl USD $38.45 Buy It Now 1 day
New Nightflight - Budgie - Rock & Pop Music Vinyl USD $38.45 Buy It Now 1 day
New Live In Los Angeles 1978 - Budgie - Rock & Pop Music Vinyl USD $52.86 Buy It Now 1 day
New Squawk - Budgie - Rock & Pop Music Vinyl USD $38.45 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE - Impeckable - 1978 LP UK 1st Press Original Vinyl Records USD $69.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LP BUDGIE "NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON A FRIEND -VINILO-". NEW USD $35.34 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - Budgie (Rock CD) USD $5.00 [1 bids]
Budgie If I Was Brittania Id Wave the Rules SP4593 Record Vinyl Near Mint 18D092 USD $35.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE (METAL) - BUDGIE [REMASTER] NEW CD USD $18.11 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie-The BBC Recordings UK hard rock psych 2 cds USD $23.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie "Never Turn Your Back on a Friend" LP 2012 Limited Wow-5501 Rock GERMAN USD $49.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE (METAL) - BUDGIE [REMASTER] USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $16.60 Buy It Now 1 day
Paladin "Charge" Vinyl UK Prog Rock Jammer ala Budgie 1972 VG/EX Roger Dean Art USD $40.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie In For the Kill LP original U.S. MCA pressing EXCELLENT copy Prog Rock USD $15.50 [7 bids]
BUDGIE Squawk Vinyl LP 2014 Remastered NEW & SEALED Noteworthy USD $27.53 Buy It Now 1 day
Never Turn Your Back On A Friend - BUDGIE - New USD $40.04 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - If I Were Britania I'D Waive The Rules (CD Used Like New) USD $14.32 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - Deliver Us From Evil (Vinyl Used Like New) USD $25.11 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie If I Were Britannia I'd Waive The Rules 1976 ORIG UK LP a USD $37.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie ?- Bandolier Vinyl LP 2014 NEW & SEALED USD $22.14 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie Nightflight CD 1993 Repertoire Records REP 4306-WY 1st Press New Sealed USD $100.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie Bandolier - EX UK vinyl LP album record MCF2723 MCA 1975 USD $71.70 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW CD Album Budgie - Bandolier (Mini LP Style Card Case) USD $15.65 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE - SELF TITLED TURKEY PRESSSING RARE TURKISH USD $120.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie vinyl LP album record Never Turn Your Back On A Friend - 1st - EX UK USD $202.19 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $17.27 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie Bandolier vinyl LP album record UK MCF2723 MCA 1975 USD $104.33 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie In For The Kill - 1st vinyl LP album record UK MCF2546 MCA 1974 USD $169.57 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie In For The Kill - 1st - VG UK vinyl LP album record MCF2546 MCA 1974 USD $71.70 Buy It Now 2 days
Nightflight - EX Budgie vinyl LP album record UK RCALP6003 RCA 1981 USD $45.61 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE IMPECKABLE KILLER HARD ROCK A&M LABEL LP USD $14.99 [0 bids]
Budgie - Deliver Us From Evil AudioCD USD $11.49 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE - If I Were Brittania I'd Waive The Rules - Vinyl (LP) USD $32.56 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE - Deliver Us From Evil - Vinyl (LP) USD $32.56 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy BUDGIE music online Buy BUDGIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

BUDGIE Budgie ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(24%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(53%)

BUDGIE Budgie reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Ever sought a nude disintegrating parachutist woman? Look no further!

While Welsh heavy rock band Budgie were formed in 1967 (under the name Hills Contemporary Grass), it took until 1971 for the band to release their first album. The line up indicates that the trio add mellotron to their basic guitar/bass/drums set up, but do not be fooled by this; this is an album of guitar driven rock. Produced by Rodger Bain there is a distinct relationship with the sound with Black Sabbath, who he also produced. Other bands who have clearly influenced or been influenced by Budgie are the likes of Led Zeppelin and Rush. In the case of the latter, the vocals of Burke Shelley bear a passing resemblance with those of Geddy Lee.

"Budgie" was recorded on 8 track tape in only four days, and while some overdubbing was subsequently added, this is essentially a live in the studio affair. The sleeve notes advise us that the band are "not particularly subtle", and that "They're not progressive (whatever you understand that to mean)", but the track arrangements can belie such statements.

The album is essentially a succession of blues rock numbers with the occasional softer counterpoint. The opening "Guts" is a heavy riff infested song which sets the scene well for both this and future albums. We are though caught off guard by the delicate acoustic "Everything in my heart" which follows, even if it does run for just a minute. The mood appears to continue on "The author", but the initial reflective nature of the track is soon replaced by a more orthodox heavy rock number.

It is though "Nude disintegrating parachutist woman" (what a wonderful title, it does actually feature in the lyrics!) which offers the first taste of the real Budgie. This superb 8 minute romp takes us through an altogether more adventurous arrangement. The lead guitar here is the highlight of the track, but the driving nature of the song combined with a genuine raw excitement, make for a compelling piece of early metal.

"Rape of the locks" is the first of three 6 minute pieces which make up side 2, the song featuring another interesting arrangement of what is essentially a basic blues rock number. "All night petrol" slows things down slightly, sounding a bit like Led Zeppelin's "Lemon song" at times. The track features another fine lead guitar break, this time with some upfront complementary bass.

"You and I" is another brief acoustic number which sounds distinctly like a John Lennon demo. The album closes with "Homicidal suicidal", another Sabbs like riff infested blues rock piece.

Budgie's relationship with prog comes not from their raw guitar based sound, but from the relative complexity of the arrangements of songs such as "Nude disintegrating parachutist woman". This, combined with their willingness to occasionally reveal their softer side, offers an appealing diversity to what would otherwise be a straightforward guitar rock album. No one for the prog purists by any means, but those interested in discovering the roots of prog metal and those looking for some good old fashioned lead guitar magic should find much to enjoy here. Great sleeve too!

Review by Chris S
3 stars 1971....twas a good year..and it was too for the Welsh trio called Budgie, fronted by Burke Shelley on vocals and bass, Tony Bourge ala guitar and in this beginning period Ray Phillips doing the drums and percussion. The albums kicks off with the rockin plodder ' Guts'. It sets the tone for the trademark Budgie sound that followed for many years. ' Everything in My heart' is a short ballady interlude which they practiced in similar ways on follow up work. ' The Author ' is next and starts off as a slow bluesy song nicely tempered by Shelley's great voice and builds with some great straight forward rock like guitar riffs. If you have never heard Budgie but like early Rush then do yourself a favour and try this band out. They won't disappoint and consistently provided some great music over the next decade or so not least on this solid debut.

' Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman' is an eight minute guitar rock fest not disimilar to some Wishbone Ash material. Bourge highlighting his talents on the guitar. My personal favourite is ' Rape the Locks' which swerves all over the show with some great riffs and drumming from Phillips. ' You And I' is another short track setting a nice moody balance between the more energetic themes with tranquility. ' Homicidal Suicidal' closes the set with some great Shelley wails amidst blues and rock backdrops. Important note: Rodger Bain of Black Sabbath fame produces this album. A good start on the rock scene for Budgie, not necessarily high in progressive 'points' but a solid album to enjoy or even explore if you need an introduction to this interesting band from Wales,UK.

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
3 stars The debut album of Welsh heavy trio smashed the ears of the early 1970's listeners pretty hard, I understood they had the most strongest sound of that time along with Black Sabbath. I have understood that these groups were considered as pioneers of the stoner rock sound: heavy repetitive metal riffs with pulsing groovy rhythm and long tracks with simple structure. Budgie's personal sound is built from Tony Bourge's acoustic electric guitar, which has very unclear and fuzzy sound. He plays very hard riffs and also great blues rock solos. Burke Shelley's bass guitar and wild and heavy drumming of Ray Phillips dominate the sound with volume, and though I like the sound texture I would wish the guitar being slightly more in front. When I learned myself to play bass guitar, I listened and learned over to these early Budige vinyls, as their melodic lines are pleasant but simple, and very audible on the instruments I tried to meditate. The vocals of the bass player are really funny, sounding like a woman or a young child. I think there is a similar contrast like in the band's name, Budgie representing a group which was very heavy rock in its time.

The song titles "Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman" represent the lyrical line: Jokes and quite poor though possibly sincere everyman's poetry. From the songs, the most best of them is in my opinion "The Author", combining a moody quiet acoustic beginning, which evolves in a pretty way to very aggressive stoner jamming. The starter "Guts" is also ok, building up from a simple chromatic riff. "Rape of The Locks" and "All Night Petrol" have some slightly irritating parts in them, but there are some interesting musical parts in them. The parachutists song is bit too long so it starts to sound boring after several plays, and the few ca. minute lasting folk tunes sound more like unfinished song ideas. The final song "Homicidal Suicidal" is then one of the best songs here, having very aggressive parts, double bass drums and fuzzy sound.

If you like other 1970's vintage heavy rock bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, but have not heard yet Budgie, I would recommend their four or five first albums warmly. A taste for personal sounds and tolerance for extreme vocals are required.

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Budgie's debut is a fun album from a fun band which makes for a generally fun listen. I think they have the honour of being the first hard-rock group ever that was influenced by Black Sabbath. 3000 others would follow.

The album is somewhat inconsistent and drags on a bit, but it has a number of competent heavy blues tracks that fans of Zeppelin and Black Sabbath shouldn't miss. Due to the high-pitched Plant squeal of Burke Shelley, the band also sounds like the later debut from Rush. The album starts strongly with Guts, a mix of Page guitars and Plant vocals with Butler bass and Ward drums. Originality wasn't the idea I guess. The delicate 50 seconds of Everything In My Heart has more personality then the tracks around it. More adequate Zep and Sab jamming follows on The Author, Nude Disintegrating etc... and Homicidal Suicidal.

This band hasn't all that much on offer and next to nothing proggy, but they might appeal to prog fans to whom the idea of a Black Zeppelin sounds alluring. In fact, I would nominate Budgie for being the first grunge band ever.

Review by Warthur
4 stars Budgie's debut album, with its high-pitched singing, fast playing, and one obligatory acoustic love song (You and I) might be confused for a standard early 70s hard rock release... except for the guitars. The sludgy, fuzz-drenched guitar line on opening song Guts makes it clear that here is a band that has been paying attention to Black Sabbath.

Whilst they're not as heavy as Sabbath was, it ought to be remembered that in 1971 *nobody* was as heavy as Sabbath was - and these boys come very, very close indeed. Generally playing at a fast tempo which would influence both the early New Wave of British Heavy Metal bands and Metallica, the group is also capable of slowing it down a bit to an almost doomy pace at points, as well as producing long, complex pieces such as Nude Disintegrating Parachute Woman and Homicidal Suicidal. Fans of early metal, stoner metal, and progressive metal will all find plenty to enjoy in this one.

Review by siLLy puPPy
COLLABORATOR PSIKE, JR/F/Canterbury & Eclectic Teams
4 stars If you're serious about diving into the origins of heavy metal you will no doubt tackle the usual suspects such as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple, but in the early gestation years of the late 60s and the fully formed heavy rock bands that provided the antecedents of the greater metal universe, there were quite a few contenders that didn't quite attract the same level of success as the big three. The Cardiff, Wales based BUDGIE was one of the earliest such bands that was a seminal influence on the NWOBM scene that would emerge at the tail end if the 70s. While formed in 1967 under the less-than-metal moniker Hills Contemporary Grass, they changed their name to Six Ton Budgie before finally truncating it to the more known BUDGIE which is an informal term for 'budgerigar,' an Australian parakeet which would become their mascot. This power trio of Tony Bourge (guitar), Tony Shelley (bass, vocals, mellotron) and Ray Phillips (drums, percussion) chose this name as a diametrically opposing term in relation to their bombastic bluesy rock bravado.

While Black Sabbath was in 1971 the heaviest band in existence, BUDGIE wasn't too far behind. Their eponymous debut released the same year as 'Master Of Reality,' followed the trends of the more successful bands and could be generalized as heavy rock straddling in between the heavy Sabbath riffing with Led Zeppelin inspired compositional constructs as well as Shelley's Robert Plant inspired vocal style. The Sabbath inspired parts come to the forefront with the opener 'Guts' which is a little too close to Sabbath's own 'Hand Of Doom' which sounds like a good case for plagiarism to my ears but the album quickly drifts off into their own unique middle ground between the great Sabbath and Led Zep. Many have cited as BUDGIE being the first version of the Canadian band Rush since they are a power trio and deliver a tight and compelling band sound out of only three musicians. On this debut they do indeed have that heavy rock gusto that Rush would unleash on their first two pre-progressive albums. Likewise BUDGIE, while rooted in ballsy blues rock with a more bombastic approach, did engage in progressively tinged compositional constructs.

While BUDGIE may have borrowed a lot from Sabbath and Led Zep, they have also been the influencers as well with tracks like the whimsically titled 'Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman' a clear antecedent into Golden Earring's hit 'Radar Love' which also displays Shelley's unique bass slapping style with a little funk technique and heavy rock groove with Phillips pounding out the supporting percussive drive accompanied by Bourge's guitar antics. Very heavy stuff for 1971 indeed and progressive as it clocked in at 8:41 and meandered through a series of clever musical moves not common in the bluesy rock world of the day. 'Rape Of The Locks' allows Bourge to show off some of his guitar tricks with a series of flashy solos before erupting into a boogie rock style that would become the staple of bands such as ZZ Top in the coming years. Tracks like 'All Night Petrol' find Shelley doing his best Robert Plant vocal exercises but alongside a Sabbath inspired doom laden riff in a mid-tempo groove. 'You And I' shows a mellower side with a short acoustic ballad.

BUDGIE created a very interesting sound for sure and although they didn't quite have the over-the-top performance charisma that Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin delivered to the world, they provided a unique glimpse in between the musical sounds where those two bands existed. While parts of BUDGIE's debut are clearly inspired by certain tracks from their influences, somehow they polish it out with their own unique stamp. The blues oriented hard rock riffing is more akin to 60s bands like Cream with Sabbath overtones (due partly to Sabbath's producer Rodger Bain in the picture), but they crafted their compositions completely differently with more complex constructs that meandered into more unexpected territory. In other words less calculated and more free. While destined to be more of a footnote of history for providing the blueprints of heavy metal riffing that would be fully realized by bands like Metallica in the next decade, BUDGIE are well worth checking out in their own right. The synthesis of heavy rock with progressive touches makes this more than a historical artifact.

4 stars I adore this band, there is just something about the music that grabs me and holds tight although I can't really decipher what it is - I just go with the flow without trying to analyse the music and what it is that makes me a full on band fan. The vocals, to me, are what a Budgie would sound like ... (read more)

Report this review (#1020764) | Posted by sukmytoe | Tuesday, August 20, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Although not in the true sense of Progressive Rock, Budgie has been one of my favourite prog related acts for a while. This album is near and dear to my heart, with it's mix of Zeppelin styled vocals from Burke Shelley and fast, heavy almost sludge of Sababth mixed in. There are obvious blue ... (read more)

Report this review (#338364) | Posted by Jazzywoman | Monday, November 29, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BUDGIE "Budgie"