PLANETARY DUALITY

The Faceless Planetary Duality  album cover

Buy THE FACELESS Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Prison Born (01:59)
2. The Ancient Covenant (04:02)
3. Shape Shifters (00:44)
4. Coldly Calculated Design (03:41)
5. Xeno Christ (05:01)
6. Sons of Belial (04:46)
7. Legion of the Serpent (04:27)
8. Planetary Duality I : Hideous Revelation (01:34)
9. Planetary Duality II : A Prophecies Fruition (05:28)

Total playing time: 31:42

Steve Jones / Guitar
Lyle Cooper / Drums

Additional musicians:

Matthew Blackmar / Keyboards

Produced by Michael Keene.
Recorded at Keene Machine Studios in North Hollywood, California.
Recorded, mixed, and mastered by Michael Keene.

Artwork by Pr Olofsson.
Layout by Kilebong.com.

All songs written and recorded by The Faceless.

Full-length, Sumerian Records
November 11th, 2008

Thanks to Jake Kobrin for the addition

THE FACELESS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE FACELESS Planetary Duality Music

Audio CD$29.99 (used)
FacelessFaceless
CD Baby 2004
BURIED IN VERONA - FACELESS (CD, 2014) US $10.51 Buy It Now 1h 36m
The Faceless - Planetary Duality (CD, Nov-2008, Sumerian Records) US $8.07 Buy It Now 2h 32m
GODSMACK FACELESS '03 UNIV (PA) NO UPC LNewCD US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 14m
LOAD DOES DEAD GODFLESH SMELL 7" Vinyl Faceless Records Punk Rock Hellraiser OOP US $24.97 Buy It Now 6h 28m
Cynic-Traced In Air cd Atheist The Faceless Anathema Muse Porcupine Tree Death US $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 58m
Soul Destroyer - Faceless NEW CD US $15.37 Buy It Now 11h 29m
NEDS ATOMIC DUSTBIN Trust 12" Ps+Inner, 3 Tracks Inc Faceless+Titch US $14.47 Buy It Now 12h 22m
Autotheism by The Faceless (CD, Aug-2012, Sumerian Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Godsmack - Faceless [Explicit] (CD, Apr-2003, Universal Distribution) US $3.50 Buy It Now 14h 59m
RARE Bay Area Art Collective We're BACC Nameless and Faceless Cassette OOP US $49.99 [0 bids]
FACELESS - PLANETARY DUALITY NEW CD US $16.29 Buy It Now 20h 27m
Faceless US $12.48 Buy It Now 22h 9m
Conspiracy Of Silence - Faceless CD EP 1994 Shiver records US $29.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Quell, Quench by DAVID RUNNING (CD, 1997, Faceless) US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Godsmack - Faceless - 199002 US $11.17 Buy It Now 1 day
GODSMACK Faceless CLASSIC CD Album GALLERY QUALITY FRAMED+EXPRESS GLOBAL SHIP US $64.31 Buy It Now 1 day
BURIED IN VERONA - FACELESS (UK) NEW CD US $31.70 Buy It Now 1 day
KLUTE FACELESS TALK LUBA LEXIS RARE CERTIFICATE 18 WHITE LABEL PROMO 12" 1998 US $14.47 [0 bids]
Y'ALL IS FANTASY ISLAND * IN FACELESS TOWNS FOREVER * CD * EDINBURGH BAND US $3.22 [0 bids]
CARNIFEX - Hell Chose Me CD 2010 with slipcover Faceless Ocean US $5.00 [0 bids]
Attack Attack - This Means War CD 2012 with slipcover Faceless Ocean US $5.00 [0 bids]
The Faceless - Akeldama CD (2006). Technical Death Metal. Cannibal Corpse. Arsis US $12.88 [0 bids]
GABRIEL JACKSON - NOT NO FACELESS ANGEL - NEW CD US $15.34 Buy It Now 1 day
Atheist-Jupiter cd new Death Obscura Cynic The Faceless Gorguts technical metal US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Atheist-Jupiter digi new Death Obscura Cynic Faceless Gorguts technical metal US $13.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Buried in Verona,Faceless US $8.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Unknown Artist Faceless Man CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
(559Q) Xi, Faceless / Headspace - DJ CD US $4.81 Buy It Now 1 day
Pardon Me, Are Those Your Claws on My Back? by Faceless Werewolves (CD,... US $7.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Faceless [PA] by Godsmack (CD, Apr-2003, Universal Distribution) US $4.00 [0 bids]
GODSMACK - FACELESS [GODSMACK] - NEW CD US $10.18 Buy It Now 2 days
COMMON YET FORBIDDEN Struggle death metal core Faceless Carnifex Daath black NEW US $3.99 [0 bids]
The HAARP Machine CD Disclosure the faceless revocation contortionist US $2.99 [0 bids]
NEDS ATOMIC DUSTBIN trust 12" 3 trk with inner sleeve b/w faceless and titch (65 US $8.44 Buy It Now 2 days
U.D.O. faceless world Japan cd 12tracks udo accept US $10.00 [0 bids]
Gawd Bless the Faceless Cowards - Vs. Andre Afr Circus New & Sealed Compact Disc US $19.75 Buy It Now 2 days
BRUTAL DEATH METAL CDs EZOPHAGOTHOMIA ENVENOMATION FACELESS FORCE FED HUMAN SHlT US $24.99 [0 bids]
U.D.O. - Faceless World [White Vinyl] 2-LP New SEALED re-issue US $22.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Faceless [PA] by Godsmack (CD, Apr-2003, Universal Distribution) US $2.00 [0 bids]
Seven Angels,NEW CD,Faceless Man US $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Faceless Werewolves Medium Freaky CD US $6.65 Buy It Now 2 days
BORN OF OSIRIS: Higher, Veil of Maya, The Faceless, Emmure, Asking Alexandria US $6.66 [0 bids]
7 Horns 7 Eyes: Throes of absolution,NEW, Meshuggah, The Faceless, Vildhjarta US $6.66 [0 bids]
BORN OF OSIRIS: New Reign, Veil of Maya, The Faceless, Meshuggah, Vildjarta US $6.66 [0 bids]
Faceless Otto Kentrol Private Import LP NYC Electronic Avant Garde Split LP 1983 US $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Ultimo Mondo Cannibale / Faceless - Impetigo New & Sealed LP Free Shipping US $38.97 Buy It Now 3 days
The Faceless PLANETARY DUALITY CD USA 894587001327 Sumerian Records new US $6.98 [0 bids]
Seven Angels,NEW CD,Faceless Man US $7.88 Buy It Now 3 days
Faceless 0044001990021, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $17.08 Buy It Now 3 days
THE FACELESS cd Planetary Duality - deathcore progressive technical death metal US $1.93 [2 bids]
Godsmack Faceless CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
BURIED IN VERONA FACELESS CD NEW US $21.88 Buy It Now 4 days
U.D.O. Faceless World CD MINI LP US $15.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Akeldama by The Faceless (CD, Jan-2006, 2 Discs, Sumerian Records) US $7.32 Buy It Now 4 days
U.d.o. - Faceless World (white Vinyl) NEW 2 x LP US $28.75 Buy It Now 4 days
U.d.o. - Faceless World (black Vinyl) NEW 2 x LP US $28.75 Buy It Now 4 days
SISMA - Faceless Enemy (CD, 2004) Nu Metal/Metalcore from Italy! RARE, EX COND. US $4.79 Buy It Now 4 days
Whirling - Faceless Phenomena NEW CD Digi US $16.38 Buy It Now 4 days
(377V) We The Faceless, Isle of Dogs - DJ CD US $4.81 Buy It Now 4 days
THE LIVING KILLS-FACELESS ANGELS-2011 CD-PROMO ?-BRENDEN BEU-JENNIFER BASSETT US $3.00 Buy It Now 4 days
GODSMACK - FACELESS ~ 12 Trk HEAVY METAL CD Album *NEW* US $14.70 Buy It Now 4 days
Drill 187 - Faceless Majority (PA) (2002) CD US $1.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Godsmack DEBUT ALBUM COLLECTIBLE All Wound Up INDEPENDENTLY RELEASED Faceless US $76.54 [0 bids]
Faceless US $13.28 Buy It Now 4 days
THE FACELESS - PLANETARY DUALITY [THE FACELESS] - NEW CD US $11.06 Buy It Now 5 days
Used Godsmack Faceless Music CD & Case US $2.00 [0 bids]
Godsmack - Faceless (Parental Advisory, 2003) US $1.59 [0 bids]
THE FACELESS - AUTOTHEISM - NEW CD US $9.54 Buy It Now 5 days
Gorguts - Colored Sands LP Black Vinyl Death Atheist Faceless Suffocation US $28.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Episode One - The Faceless Corporation - 11 Track US $4.65 Buy It Now 5 days
Circus CD - Gawd Bless the Faceless Cowards - with Andre Afram Asmar crowds US $5.99 Buy It Now 5 days
CIRCUS (RAP) - GAWD BLESS THE FACELESS CROWDS - NEW CD US $11.64 Buy It Now 5 days
Circus Vs. Andre Afram Asmar " Gawd Bless the Faceless Crowds " NEW SEALED 2LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
SEVEN ANGELS - Faceless Man CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
NEW! 1999 CREED Human Clay CD _ BEAUTIFUL With Arms Wide Open FACELESS MAN US $13.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Creed Human Clay CD Higher With Arms Wide Open Are You Ready Faceless Men Say I US $5.99 Buy It Now 5 days
THE FACELESS - AKELDAMA - NEW CD BOXSET US $11.06 Buy It Now 5 days
Face of Anger, Faceless Audio CD US $4.79 Buy It Now 5 days
GODSMACK - FACELESS NEW CD US $8.74 Buy It Now 5 days
Faceless - Autotheism CD US $14.73 Buy It Now 6 days
Faceless - Planetary Duality CD US $14.65 Buy It Now 6 days
FACELESS, The - Eyehands:T-shirt - NEW - MEDIUM ONLY US $26.25 Buy It Now 6 days
U.D.O. Faceless world Germany LP RCA 1990 US $14.99 [0 bids]
WE THE FACELESS CD NEW SEALED 6TK US $12.86 Buy It Now 6 days
U.D.O./UDO - FACELESS WORLD CD 1990 BMG ARIOLA 74321125732 GERMAN PRESSING US $1.00 [0 bids]
U.D.O. - FACELESS WORLD NEW CD US $20.59 Buy It Now 6 days
Whirling - Faceless Phenomena 2010 digi Armagedda black metal avantgarde US $16.95 Buy It Now 6 days
Face of Anger - Faceless CD 2002 METAL RULES US $6.64 Buy It Now 7 days
2 Minutes 50 In America & Faceless MN Rock Channel 83 Records New 45 Record US $15.95 Buy It Now 7 days
U.D.O. - Faceless World (Anniversary Ed.) [CD New] US $15.33 Buy It Now 7 days
Gnostic-Engineering the Rule cd new Atheist Death Cynic The Faceless technical US $8.00 Buy It Now 7 days
U.d.O., Faceless World Audio CD US $11.09 Buy It Now 7 days
FACE OF ANGER FACELESS *** CD *** US $8.75 Buy It Now 7 days
Godsmack DEBUT ALBUM COLLECTIBLE All Wound Up INDEPENDENTLY RELEASED Faceless US $124.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Buried In Verona - Faceless CD Pop Rock US $14.54 Buy It Now 7 days
A6 cd single NED'S ATOMIC DUSTBIN TRUST - FACELESS - TITCH US $15.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Godsmack - Faceless (Parental Advisory, 2003) US $10.77 Buy It Now 7 days
Godsmack - Faceless [PA] (CD, Apr-2003, Universal Distribution) US $4.99 Buy It Now 7 days
U.D.O. - Faceless World (Anniversary Ed.) CD US $17.82 Buy It Now 7 days
The String Quartet Tribute to Godsmack by Various Artists CD Awake Faceless Rock US $6.95 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE FACELESS music online Buy THE FACELESS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE FACELESS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE FACELESS Planetary Duality ratings distribution

THE FACELESS Planetary Duality reviews

Review by UMUR
4 stars Planetary Duality is the second full-length studio album by American tech death metal act The Faceless. The album was released on the 11th of November 2008 through Sumerian Records ( released by Lifeforce Records on the 23th of February 2009) and is produced by guitarist/ clean vocalist Micheal Keene. Drummer Lyle Cooper has been added to the lineup since the debut album Akeldama (2006) but the rest of the lineup from that album remains. I was pretty impressed with Akeldama when I listened to it and wrote my review but it really didnt suit my personal taste much at the time so I was a bit reluctant to purchase Planetary Duality. But boy have my doubts been put to shame.

The music is technical death metal. Its very brutal but actually melodic as well in glimpses. The guitar riffs are sharp and fast with lots of precise and technically complex drumming to go along. The vocals are mostly deep brutal growls ( a few higher pitched too) but there are occasional clean/ vocoder vocals which is great for the variation on the album. One of my favorite features on the album are the many melodic guitar solos though. Very skillfully executed and an oasis of beauty in the midst of brutal death metal.

The album starts with the short and brutal Prison Born and I was not convinced right away. I enjoy it greatly now though. My interest increased greatly with the second song The Ancient Covenant though. That song is simply amazing tech death metal. Powerful and fast with some great guitar motifs. Shape Shifters is a short instrumental break before Coldy Calculated Design begins and were once again treated with a fast and technical death metal track. Xeno Christ is a bit different and heavier but still with faster parts. Great varied song that one. Sons of Belial is the song with most obvious use of clean vocals even though those vocals actually only occur twice in the song and only for a few seconds at a time. I didnt care much for the clean vocals the first many times I listened to the album but Ive come to appreciate them greatly the more Ive listened to the album. Legion of the Serpent is next and its the most melodic song on the album. Its a great song and very important for the diversity of the album. Planetary Duality I : Hideous Revelation is an intro to Planetary Duality II : A Prophecies Fruition. The short track has some sci-fi samples which really creates the right atmopshere before the going into Planetary Duality II : A Prophecies Fruition which is another excellent tech death metal track.

The musicianship is outstanding. This is very complex and demanding music and The Faceless is very tight. A great performance. If you crave airtight musicianship look no further.

The production is excellent. Clean and sharp as the genre demands. Very enjoyable.

My review should pretty much reveal my excitement about Planetary Duality, but it will still have to pass the test of time, for me to reward it with a 5 star rating. This album is a very likely candidate for the masterpiece rating though and I will definitely re-consider my BIG 4 star rating in the future. This is one of the best tech death metal albums Ive heard in years and firmly places The Faceless in todays tech death metal elite. Planetary Duality is a must hear IMO. Very recommendable to fans of the genre.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#212650) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Review by horsewithteeth11
4 stars Wow! Talk about a mind-blowing album! The few samples I'd heard of The Faceless didn't impress me that much. So I figured I'd take the plunge and went and got their latest effort, Planetary Duality. And I was absolutely floored by it. If there was a blueprint for making technical death metal, I'd say these guys have written a pretty detailed one. This album clocks in at merely under thirty two minutes, but music of this kind doesn't need to take up much time or space. The Faceless may very well be a band to pay attention to in the years to come.

The Faceless plays a brand of technical death metal that reaches the complexity of giants in the genre such as Cynic and Atheist while adding a few elements of deathcore and metalcore. The vocals are very brutal as one would expect and the music is no less brutal. But there are melodic elements that appear in glimpses every now and then. Derek Rydquist's vocals are very much in the realm of metalcore and death growls, but guitarist Michael Keene adds some variety with a few clean vocals and the use of a vocoder. The music itself however is absolutely flooring. These guys have some serious chops, and hearing the brief bass riff and arpeggio guitars in the intro of The Ancient Covenant really helped seal the deal for me. Each song feels like it's composed of hundreds of riffs, and each one is almost as mind-blowing as the ones that come after it.

I'd love to give this release 5 stars, but it has yet to stand the test of time for me. So I'll give it 4 for now, but I am very likely to move this up to 5 eventually. Fans of technical or death metal owe it to themselves to check this out.

Send comments to horsewithteeth11 (BETA) | Report this review (#222052) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 20, 2009

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars There are some albums out there that contain songs with a few great riffs that get repeated ad-nauseum to the point where the song is needlessly stretched out to tiresome lengths. This is not one of those albums. In fact, there's so many quick little riffs flying by that these songs feel like a blur at times. It can be fun at times to be bombarded with so much wankery and blasterbation, but it can also be irritating.

These guys are certainly more than capable at their instruments, and they sure in hell want you to know it. Even the bass player gets a quick little moment to shine at the beginning of one of the tunes. There's also some occasional diversions and additions to spice up the proceedings with a little bit of variety to avoid ennui from a constant non-stop barrage of riffs, sweeps and arpeggios. You have some keyboard moments, including a short instrumental that's quite atmospheric, some "clean" singing tossed about here and there along with a vocoder robot voice that once in a while pays a visit. There's also a couple of jazzy moments, maybe as a bone to throw at fans of Cynic and a few other extreme progressive metal bands. With the sci-fi theme, The Faceless here do seem to be seriously vying for the progressive stratosphere, at least within the confines of the extreme metal genre. My issue, though, is that nothing sticks at all, except for a few random moments here and there. It's like listening to guys practicing their scales together as fast as possible before launching into a bunch of riffs in which only a few have lasting power. The band does bounce around with genre expectations, including a small bit that sounds more like polished black metal than death metal, but as a whole I found myself enjoying parts of songs that work or sound cool as opposed to any tune for the full duration.

Apparently there are some 'deathcore' elements to this group's work, so take that for what it's worth, since it sounds like technical death metal with some embellishments and nothing more to me. It's certainly busy, and thankfully short at under 35 minutes with some monstrous skill involved. It's quite cleanly though unremarkably produced and thus with little atmosphere the songs rely on their craftsmanship and technicality. The Faceless have the technicality down pat for sure, so hopefully in the future they can balance their work by focusing more on creating songs that resonate instead of a bunch of ideas strung together. I will give it credit for being entertaining at times and decent enough if I'm in the mood for this sort of thing.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#756571) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2012

3 stars For anyone with an eye on this album, get ready for a brutal technical experience. This album is filled with blastbeats, complex time changes, deep death growls, and technical guitars. In fact, there's not too much to get most fans to keep listening. Even after several listens, most of this albu ... (read more)

Report this review (#209020) | Posted by topofsm | Saturday, March 28, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE FACELESS "Planetary Duality "