RUNT

Todd Rundgren Runt album cover

Buy TODD RUNDGREN Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

Side one
1. Broke Down and Busted (4:32)
2. Believe in Me (2:04)
3. We Gotta Get You a Woman (2:52)
4. Who's That Man? (2:59)
5. Once Burned (2:09)
6. Devil's Bite (3:53)

Side two
1. I'm in the Clique (4:57)
2. There Are No Words (2:12)
3. Baby Let's Swing/The Last Thing You Said/Don't Tie My Hands (5:28)
4. Birthday Carol (9:14)

- Mickey Brook / drums
- Don Lee Van Winkle / acoustic guitars

Ampex Records A-10105
Rhino RNCD 70862

Thanks to micky for the addition
and to Evolver for the last updates

TODD RUNDGREN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TODD RUNDGREN Runt Music

A Wizard, A True StarA Wizard, A True Star
Rhino 1990
LP RECORD ALBUM: TODD RUNDGREN: HEALING (MINT-) W/ BONUS 45 US $3.00 [0 bids]
37m 9s
The Very Best of Todd Rundgren by Todd Rundgren (CD, 1997, Rhino (Label)) US $3.00 [0 bids]
41m 35s
1981 ROCK Jim Steinman Bad For Good Meat Loaf Composer Todd Rundgren Produced LP US $1.99 [0 bids]
46m 1s
TODD RUNDGREN A WIZARD / A TRUE STAR BEARSVILLE GATEFOLD PROG PSYCH LP NM US $19.99 [0 bids]
54m 31s
Todd Rundgren - LOT OF 4 VINYL LP's - Hermit, Something/Anything, Wizard, Live US $9.95 [0 bids]
1h
The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect/Todd Rundgren US $12.00 [0 bids]
Runt by Todd Rundgren (CD, Oct-2007, Rhino (Label)) US $11.90 Buy It Now 1h 24m
TODD RUNDGREN-THE VERY BEST OF TODD RUNDGREN-JAPAN CD Ltd/Ed C41 US $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
TODD RUNDGREN Nearly Human 1989 Warner Brothers CLASSIC ROCK LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
Todd Rundgren ?- The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect ;1-23732 vinyl LP Mint- US $6.00 [0 bids]
Utopia ?- Swing To The Right ; Todd Rundgren - BRK 3666 vinyl LP Mint- US $6.00 [0 bids]
Todd Rundgren - Back To The Bars US $7.00 [0 bids]
TODD RUNDGREN - EXTENDED VERSIONS [TODD RUNDGREN] [090431892626] - NEW CD US $4.32 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Todd Rundgren CD Nearly Human (May-1989, Warner Bros.) Bobby Womack Kasim Sulton US $8.95 Buy It Now 2h 54m
TODD RUNDGREN UP AGAINST IT! (1997) JAPAN CD PCCY-01121 US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h
RUNT S/T LP BEARSVILLE TODD RUNDGREN SSW POP PSYCH NM US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 33m
MICHAEL STANLEY S/T LP TUMBLEWEED FOLK PSYCH JOE WALSH TODD RUNDGREN US $20.00 Buy It Now 3h 41m
Todd Rundgren's Utopia LP SIGNED! AUTOGRAPHED! US $34.99 Buy It Now 4h 57m
TODD RUNDGREN - WIZARD A TRUE STAR NEW CD US $22.66 Buy It Now 5h 19m
Todd Rundgren: Tiny demons / Time heals 7" 45rpm vinyl record 9a US $1.00 Buy It Now 5h 52m
1991 "TODD RUNDGREN-2nd Wind" SEALED LONG BOX CD, WARNER BROS., 9 26478-2 NOS US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 34m
TODD RUNDGREN BACK TO THE BARS PROMO VINYL LP VGC SH1 - US $4.99 [0 bids]
Hermit of Mink Hollow by Todd Rundgren (CD, Nov-1987, Rhino (Label)) US $6.91 Buy It Now 8h 11m
Todd Rundgren - Runt CD US $14.20 Buy It Now 8h 19m
TODD RUNDGREN - STATE NEW CD US $33.72 Buy It Now 9h 58m
TODD RUNDGREN - WIZARD A TRUE STAR (UK) NEW VINYL US $51.54 Buy It Now 10h 29m
TODD RUNDGREN AND UTOPIA another live LP 8 track with insert (k55508) uk bearsvi US $8.31 Buy It Now 10h 30m
TODD RUNDGREN utopia LP 4 track with inner (brlp6954) italian bearsville 1974 US $8.54 Buy It Now 10h 30m
TODD RUNDGREN - TODD (UK) NEW VINYL US $63.49 Buy It Now 10h 39m
UNDERCOVER OST various artists LP 16 track including tsol,todd rundgren,agent or US $9.14 Buy It Now 10h 56m
UTOPIA (TODD RUNDGREN) oblivion LP 10 track sleeve has light wear and small stic US $8.31 Buy It Now 10h 58m
UTOPIA (TODD RUNDGREN) oops wrong planet LP 12 track with inner light creasing a US $8.31 Buy It Now 10h 58m
UTOPIA (TODD RUNDGREN) s/t LP 10 track unopened in original info stickered shrin US $10.79 Buy It Now 10h 58m
UTOPIA (TODD RUNDGREN) s/t LP 10 track unopened in original shrinkwrap (pb6029) US $10.90 Buy It Now 10h 58m
Todd Rundgren & And Utopia - Live At The Electric Ballroom (NEW CD) US $22.04 Buy It Now 11h 3m
Roger Powell - Air Pocket LP Utopia Todd Rundgren US $16.65 Buy It Now 11h 17m
Runt & The Ballad Of Todd Rundgren * NEW * Free Priority Shipping US $15.70 Buy It Now 11h 43m
Todd Rundgren's Johnson Live * NEW * Free Priority Shipping US $21.24 Buy It Now 11h 45m
"HEALING" TODD RUNDGREN LP NM US $3.99 Buy It Now 12h 36m
JIM STEINMAN Bad For Good LP Meat Loaf Todd Rundgren / Epic 1981 With 7" US $10.82 Buy It Now 12h 38m
TODD RUNDGREN UTOPIA LP 600 US $8.99 Buy It Now 12h 47m
TODD RUNDGREN HERMIT OF MINK HOLLOW ORIGINAL INNER SLEEVE LP 600 US $8.99 Buy It Now 13h
TODD RUNDGREN-ANYWHERE? UNRELE~-JAPAN K2HD HQCD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 13h 10m
Extended Versions - Todd Rundgren New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $13.31 Buy It Now 13h 28m
THE NAZZ III (3) LP TODD RUNDGREN US $16.00 Buy It Now 13h 55m
RA Utopia CD Castle Music Ltd.(UK) signed by Todd Rundgren and Kasim Sulton US $150.00 [0 bids]
New England: DDT stereo/mono Elektra 47155 DJ 1981 Todd Rundgren US $7.00 Buy It Now 14h 6m
TODD RUNDGREN THE EVER POPULAR TOURTURED ARTIST EFFECT LP 674 US $8.99 Buy It Now 14h 50m
TODD RUNDGREN Bang On The Drum All Day / Good Vibrations 45 COL 0330B US $4.75 [0 bids]
FANNY - MOTHER'S PRIDE LP UK 1ST PRESS VINYL + INSERT Todd Rundgren US $16.63 Buy It Now 14h 59m
Todd Rundgren Something/Anything MFSL 2-CD BOX SET STILL SEALED! US $549.99 Buy It Now 15h 27m
BONNIE TYLER Todd Rundgren USA 1986 DEMO 7" Single Loving You US $4.14 Buy It Now 15h 33m
TODD RUNDGREN HEALING LP 600 US $8.99 Buy It Now 15h 46m
TODD RUNDGREN LP-FAITHFUL/BEARSVILLE RECORDS, 1976 BR-6963 VG++ NICE 'N' GLOSSY US $7.98 Buy It Now 15h 47m
[TODD RUNDGREN] SPARKS ~ SELF TITLED ~ 1972 US 11-TRACK LP ~ BEARSVILLE BV 2048 US $58.26 Buy It Now 16h 7m
2nd Wind (Remastered) - Todd Rundgren New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $16.50 Buy It Now 16h 16m
Todd Rundgren - Hermit Of Mink Hollow [CD New] US $9.83 Buy It Now 16h 37m
Todd Rundgren The Definitive Rock Collection CD Rock Music Album Brand New US $18.29 Buy It Now 16h 42m
Todd Rundgren Hermit Of Mink Hollow 8 Track Tape SEALED US $15.00 Buy It Now 17h 2m
Todd Rundgren HERMIT OF MINK HOLLOW 180g HQ AUDIOPHILE New Sealed Vinyl LP US $28.99 Buy It Now 17h 10m
Todd Rundgren SOMETHING/ANYTHING? 180g HQ AUDIOPHILE New Sealed Vinyl 2 LP US $36.99 Buy It Now 17h 10m
Todd Rundgren Something/Anything Double LP US $4.00 [0 bids]
Todd Rundgren - Hermit of Mink Hollow lp US $6.99 Buy It Now 17h 26m
Rare Todd Rundgren original vinyl 7" Picture Disc Time Heals + misprint US $8.00 [0 bids]
Runt ~ Todd Rundgren ~ We Gotta Get You A Woman ~ Exceptional Copy ~ NM/NM US $34.99 Buy It Now 18h
The Nazz Retrospective Foresight Rare Tracks & Studio Outtakes Todd Rundgren LP US $30.00 [0 bids]
Todd Rundgren TODD Vintage Vinyl US $4.00 [0 bids]
Todd Rundgren - STATE (DELUXE EDITION 2 CD SET - NEW SEALED) US $4.83 [6 bids]
Todd Rundgren 09/13/2011 CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
Todd Rundgren & His Friends by Todd Rundgren (CD, Ju... US $4.99 Buy It Now 18h 18m
TODD RUNDGREN - Runt 1st press on Ampex, rare 12 song version error pressing VG US $15.00 [0 bids]
TODD RUNDGREN THE HERMIT OF MINK HOLLOW HEAR IT US $9.00 Buy It Now 18h 35m
Todd Rundgren - Todd [CD New] US $11.03 Buy It Now 18h 39m
A Wizard, A True Star by Todd Rundgren (Vinyl, Jul-2014, Demon Records (UK)) US $24.94 Buy It Now 18h 39m
Todd by Todd Rundgren (Vinyl, Jul-2014, Demon Records (UK)) US $29.91 Buy It Now 18h 39m
A Wizard, A True Star by Todd Rundgren (CD, Sep-1987, Rhino (Label)) US $10.64 Buy It Now 18h 39m
Todd Rundgren Wizard Vinyl 1973. Sealed. Mint condition. No Bar Code. US $33.00 Buy It Now 18h 55m
Todd Rundgren & Utopia Deface The Music Vinyl LP US $4.99 Buy It Now 18h 57m
TODD RUNDGREN - TODD NEW CD US $19.22 Buy It Now 19h 20m
UNCUT PRESENTS CD - TODD RUNDGREN/WATERBOYS (REF E3) US $6.64 Buy It Now 19h 21m
1970 Todd Rundgren / Runt LP . We Gotta Get You a Woman US $6.00 Buy It Now 19h 21m
TODD RUNDGREN - Live In Chicago '91 2CD JAPAN MINI LP CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
TODD RUNDGREN INITIATION 1975 A2 B1 UK Press VINYL TIME CAPSULE COPY US $31.63 [1 bids]
TODD RUNDGREN: Something / Anything? LP (2 LPs, gatefold cover, some cover wear US $25.00 Buy It Now 19h 52m
2 Todd Rundgren LPs - Faithful - Back To The Bars - 1976/1978 GD US $3.99 [0 bids]
20h
HELLO PEOPLE "Bricks" - TODD RUNDGREN - PROMO 1975 LP US $14.95 Buy It Now 20h 20m
Grok This! Defacing the Music of Todd Rundgren by Various Artists (CD,... US $12.99 Buy It Now 20h 23m
Todd Rundgren Utopia Adventures in Utopia NM Vinyl LP BRK 6991 1980 Gatefold US $5.99 [0 bids]
Todd Rundgren - No World Order (CD, Jul-1993, Forward) US $8.54 Buy It Now 20h 44m
Something/Anything? by Todd Rundgren (2 Disc Set MFSL Gold CD's) NEW, SEALED !!! US $249.00 Buy It Now 20h 52m
TODD RUNDGREN HERMIT OF MINK HOLLOW BEARSVILLE 1978 US $5.99 Buy It Now 21h 14m
An Elpee's Worth of Productions by Todd Rundgren (Cassette) US $4.99 Buy It Now 21h 19m
TODD RUNDGREN'S UTOPIA SELF TITLED BEARSVILLE 1974 US $3.99 Buy It Now 21h 19m
TODD RUNDGREN'S UTOPIA ANOTHER LIVE BEARSVILLE 1975 US $3.99 Buy It Now 21h 21m
TODD RUNDGREN BACK TO THE BARS 2 DISC BEARSVILLE 1978 US $5.99 Buy It Now 21h 23m
TODD RUNDGREN'S UTOPIA SWING TO THE RIGHT BEARSVILLE 1982 US $3.99 Buy It Now 21h 25m
TODD RUNDGREN THE EVER POPULAR TORTURED ARITIST EFFECT BEARSVILLE 1982 US $4.99 Buy It Now 21h 30m
NM 1983 Utopia / Oblivion LP . Todd Rundgren US $5.00 Buy It Now 21h 32m
Soul 45 TODD RUNDGREN We Got To Get You A Woman on Bearsville US $5.00 Buy It Now 21h 34m
AMERICAN DREAM: The American Dream LP (produced by Todd Rundgren) rare Rock US $60.00 Buy It Now 21h 38m

More places to buy TODD RUNDGREN music online Buy TODD RUNDGREN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TODD RUNDGREN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TODD RUNDGREN Runt ratings distribution

TODD RUNDGREN Runt reviews

Review by Chicapah
4 stars I apologize for my bias in advance. Truth is, this album holds special meaning for me because its release coincides with my own release from the home I grew up in. At the still-tender age of twenty I moved into my very own efficiency apartment located a mere three blocks from the NTSU campus in Denton, Texas. The local independent record vendor was conveniently located in a storefront on my way to and from my classes and on one of my initial visits I spotted none other than beanpole Todd gazing wanly into my face, begging me to take him home to my turntable. Being a huge fan of the man's impressive work with his previous band, Nazz, I didn't hesitate for a second to part with a portion of my paltry parental allowance and invite "Runt" to become part of my personal renaissance.

Mr. Rundgren obviously adhered to the philosophy of "if you don't like the way others are doing it, do it yourself" because, other than the rhythm sections, it's all Todd and that in itself was quite innovative for 1970. That self-reliant attitude accounts for a certain quaint "looseness" that pervades this debut but that only contributes to its charm. The first half is pretty standard-for-the-era fare but the second half has much more of a prog flavor.

Rundgren starts things off with a heavy dose of lazy electric blues, not all that different from what Nazz did so well. Yet "Broke Down and Busted" still wends its way through a somewhat unconventional chord progression for that genre and the trio of Todd & the Hunt brothers turn in a respectable impression of Cream during the spirited instrumental sections, especially during the extended fadeout. "Believe in Me" is a short-lived piano ballad that reveals his affection for traditional songwriting and "We Got to Get You a Woman" is the bright, up tempo pop ditty that climbed into the crowded Top 20 singles charts and garnered him some much-needed attention early on. "Who's That Man" is a straight-ahead rocker where he gets to unleash some fiery guitar licks and his clever sense of humor. Here he warns a former lover named Maryanne that her new beau is, among other dubious things, "a black brother, an unwed mother/a flag-waver and a rock & roll raver/a hippie killer, an offshore driller/the new messiah and a habitual liar."

On "Once Burned" Todd enlists the capable talents of Rick Danko and Levon Helm (of The Band) to provide bass and drums but it's just another brief, bluesy torch song that barely lasts two minutes. After a mysterious, strumming intro "Devil's Bite" crashes in with a timely, harder edge to get the locomotive back on the rails and serves as a fine example of Rundgren's propensity for riff-based rock. The furious multiple guitar onslaught in the middle is exhilarating and the sharply-pointed words are a warning to his personal demon to stay out of his way. "I knew some day you'd be along/swingin' your tail and singin' a dead man's song/just when things get good you want your take/but you're wrong/'cause I'm leaving this shell and I'm movin' on," he announces defiantly.

Just when you think you've got a bead on what Todd is about, along comes the quirky modern jazz/rock of "I'm in the Clique." After an eerie, ghost-like beginning the exquisite drums of jazz legend Bobby Moses joined with bassist John Miller and the electric piano of Mark Klingman drive this eclectic piece like a finely-tuned gas engine. Rundgren's lyrical assessment of the snobby New York "in-crowd," delivered in a delicious, tongue-in-cheek monotone is not to be missed. "Maybe I could give you advice/but what can I say to you?/some people get it together/and some people never do/just try and get your foot in the door/and maybe, with a little luck, you may/also be in a position/to look down your nose on somebody someday," he sings sarcastically. Both Moses and Miller take advantage of the opportunity to solo their skills during this number. Next is the appropriately titled "There Are No Words," a slice of vocal experimentation that predates those later undertaken by the likes of David Crosby. Very soothing and cool.

What follows is a lively medley of three songs that work together incredibly well. After a funny, overwrought doo-wop intro "Baby, Let's Swing" takes over and glides. It's a not-so-subtle tribute to Laura Nyro's contemporary style of composing that segues seamlessly into "The Last Thing You Said" where the beat gets stronger and showcases the diligent work Todd put into systematically stacking his own harmony vocals. By the time "Don't Tie My Hands" enters the fray the music has grown into a driving force of nature that patiently builds up to a chorale climax that still moves me to this day. It may not be prog but I don't care. Good is good. So sue me. The longest tune is the finale, "Birthday Carol." It's structured in a very progressive way, much like his fabulous "A Beautiful Song" was that appeared on the classic Nazz Nazz LP. Since he takes credit for all instrumentation other than what is specified in the liner notes, the string quartet opening shows yet another aspect of Todd's considerable abilities. The ensuing shuffle groove provided by the rhythm section of Don Ferris and Mickey Brook lays down a firm foundation for Rundgren to dazzle on the guitar, backed by his own horn section. Abruptly the track drops into a quieter, piano-based interlude that is added to eventually with acoustic guitar and brass before the whole band returns in full force. Todd's somber string quartet closes the tune with a whisper.

Todd Rundgren showed all the world with this debut that he wasn't going to be restricted to creating any particular kind of music or coerced into developing a commercial, "sellable" image as he was while spearheading Nazz. Manager Albert Grossman and his fledgling Bearsville record label believed in nurturing the immense potential that Todd possessed and the result is this wonderful array of songs and musical influences that characterize this album. Some of it is predictably dated and it's far from being the tightest record you've ever heard but the heart and soul that this newly-unfettered artist poured into the project is genuine and refreshing compared to so much of the over-produced muzak that our ears are subjected to all too often. And, as I explained earlier, it will always represent freedom to me. 3.5 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#196785) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 01, 2009

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Visions of Utopia

"Runt" is generally acknowledged as the start of Todd Rundgren's solo career. Prior to this time he had been a member of the short lived band Nazz, but in 1970 he decided the time was right to establish a solo career. When this album was originally released however, "Runt" was both the album title, and the name of the band to whom it was credited. Only on later re-releases has Todd's name appeared as the credited artist. The band Runt was in fact a trio, the other band members being drummer Hunt Sales and bassist Tony Sales. All the songs are composed by Todd, who also sings and plays all other instruments.

Offering a good indication in terms of diversity of content, if not in terms of style, "Runt" is a curious mix of sounds and genres. The familiar tones of Todd are however ever present right from the opening, surprisingly downbeat "Broke down and busted". The song is a blues based number with some fine lead guitar. Things take an even softer turn with the following piano ballad "Believe in me".

It is only when we get to the single taken from the album "We got to get you a woman" that the pace is lifted. The song is a sort of early version of "I saw the light", with Beach Boys nuances and a catchy hook. "Who's that man" lifts the pace further through a retro rock'n'roll style song of the type Todd would revert to often on later Utopia albums.

"Once burned" is slow ELO type ballad with slightly distorted vocals and atmospheric organ. Side one of the LP closes with "Devil's bite", a meandering piece of light pop rock.

The second side of the album is the more adventurous, with just four tracks including a 9 minute closer. "I'm in the clique", which opens the side has a more complex arrangement with bursts of brass alternating with semi-chanted vocal refrains. The instrumental break is by far the loosest recorded by Todd up until this point, offering an indication of the direction he would explore on the first Utopia album. The track segues into the even more obscure "There are no words", which surprisingly (or not!) is an instrumental! Actually it is not so much an instrumental as a passage of ambient noise.

The three part medley "Baby let's swing/ The last thing you said/ Don't tie my hands" reverts to the accessible light pop style with Todd demonstrating his ability to capture a memorable hook and melody. The closing "Birthday Carol" also reveals a willingness on the part of Todd to look beyond the conventional pop boundaries. A brief quasi-symphonic opening leads to an orthodox blues guitar section. This in turn suddenly gives way to a soft piano ballad middle section, the guitar rock returning for the final part of the track.

Whether this was technically Todd's first solo album is largely academic. He wrote and sang all the songs and played all you hear with the exception of bass and drums. While there is a certain lack of continuity in the varied styles and sounds, "Runt" offers a good indication of the many directions Rundgren would travel in on future albums.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#198427) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 11, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars The genesis of this album has been very well depicted by Easy Livin (as usual should I say). The music available on this album (at least during the first part) is a combo of blues rock (the opener), some syrupy ballads ("Believe In Me", "Once Burned"), some pure rock'n'roll ("Who's That Man") and basic US classic rock ("Devil's Bite"). These songs are rather "short" to make this intro very interesting.

Fortunately, the flip side of the album is much better even if the experimental and pre "Utopia" style "I'm In The Clique" is not of an easy approach. This album is quite diversified (too much maybe): the short spacey and instrumental "There Are No Words" is quite a change compared to the previous track.

But so is the whole album. Too many different musical directions as far as I'm concerned. This lead to a complete lack of unity. The melodic and almost Beatles-esque "Baby Let's Swing?" is one of the most pleasant moment from "Runt". Nice vocal arrangements (but Todd excels in this duty). But even in this mini-suite of less than six minutes, Todd proposes three different parts which are quite alien one from each other.

It is impossible to find any direction here. Just a kaleidoscope of musical styles. The closing and short epic (almost ten minutes) being another example: a jazzy, bluesy and noisy intro, some fine and very melodic vocals (again very much in the Fab Four style), and some good instrumental part to close.

I can't go higher than two stars for this work. Too loose. Better things are to come?

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#247384) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Todd Rundgren's first solo album, released in 1970, is mostly a pop album, avery good pop album for it's time, with just a few slight hints of the prog and experimental side of the artist.

The pop songs are quite diverse, more so than on the albums by Rundgren's previous group, The Nazz. We Gotta Get You A Woman made it quite high in the charts at the time (It holds a special place in my memories, as it enraged my mother, a devout feminist for the lines: "Talking 'bout things about that special one. They may be stupid but they sure are fun."). But each of the pop songs are nice in their own way, although none reach the level of greatness.

The hints of prog come in I'm In The Clique, a heavy, but quirky piece that slams pretentious New Yorkers, and Birthday Carol a light piece with a bit of a classical influence, and diverse movements.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#388529) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 28, 2011

Post a review of TODD RUNDGREN "Runt"