FREE AS A BIRD

The Beatles Free As A Bird album cover

Buy THE BEATLES Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 1995

1. Free As A Bird
2. Christmas Time (Is Here Again)

Search THE BEATLES Free As A Bird lyrics

- Ringo Starr / drums, vocals

Label Apple, UK
Catalogue Numbers:
R 6422 (7" single)
RP 6422 (7" Picture Disc)
CDR 6422 (C.D.)
TCR 6422 (Cassette single)
Country of Origin England

CD version:
1. Free As A Bird
2. I Saw Her Standing There
3. This Boy
4. Christmas Tree (Is Here Again)

Thanks to mogorva for the addition
and to mogorva for the last updates

THE BEATLES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE BEATLES Free As A Bird Music

Abbey RoadAbbey Road
Remastered
EMI 2012
Vinyl$15.95
BEATLES A Hard Days Night LP 1st UK PRESS 1964 IN MONO, 3N/3N MATRIX, US $32.26 [0 bids]
30m 3s
BEATLES RECORD SGT.PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND US $12.00 [0 bids]
30m 26s
RaRe Import JOHN LENNON Shaved Fish UNIQUE Diff Picture Sleeve LP The Beatles US $89.99 Buy It Now 31m 30s
PAUL McCARTNEY(BEATLES)Japan 1976 3-LP OVER AMERICA US $29.99 Buy It Now 31m 33s
Introducing The Beatles Englands number one vocal group LP VeeJay 33 1/3 vinyl US $19.99 [0 bids]
32m 44s
The Beatles Let It Be LP 1970 Gatefold Phil Ronnie P.D. Credit Vinyl Record US $33.24 Buy It Now 34m 7s
The Beatles Meet The Beatles LP 1964 T-2047 Mono Capitol RIAA 3 Vinyl Record US $47.49 Buy It Now 34m 7s
1963 THE BEATLES--SHE LOVES YOU-RE-ISSUE US $3.21 [0 bids]
34m 18s
Beatles Rubber Soul Very Good Condition Capital SW 2442 US $4.99 [0 bids]
36m 2s
THE BEATLES - WHITE ALBUM - VG APPLE UK IMPORT DOUBLE APPLE RECORD NO SERIAL # US $40.00 Buy It Now 36m 25s
Beatles - Ain't She Sweet M/M- 1964 US $24.99 Buy It Now 36m 34s
THE BEATLES- NUMBER ONES CD (2000) Best of/Greatest Hits No.1/#1/No.1's US $10.95 Buy It Now 36m 56s
Beatles VI 1970 Apple Label ST-2358 Press ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic CLEAN US $52.00 Buy It Now 37m 13s
Meet the Beatles MONO VG+ 1st USA Press RIAA 6 ULTRASONIC CLEAN US $36.00 Buy It Now 37m 14s
Beatles/Apple Mini Pin Badge - Drop T Drum Skin logo. US $5.63 Buy It Now 38m 10s
Beatles/Apple Mini Pin Badge - Sgt. Pepper logo. US $5.63 Buy It Now 38m 10s
Beatles/Apple Mini Pin Badge - Magical Mystery Tour Bus. US $5.63 Buy It Now 38m 11s
The Beatles - I Feel Fine / She's A Woman. 1964 UK 7" VG+ US $0.81 [0 bids]
42m 20s
THE BEATLES ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE ex+ 1967 UK VINYL 45 SINGLE US $8.87 [2 bids]
44m 56s
THE BEATLES ROCK N ROLL MUSIC LP ALBUM US $16.99 Buy It Now 44m 58s
The Beatles: Classic Drop T Logo Men's T-Shirt - New & Offical Sealed in Pack US $16.13 Buy It Now 45m 22s
PAUL McCARTNEY,PIPES OF PEACE / SO BAD. EX-BEATLES NO.1 SINGLE FROM 1983 US $1.60 [1 bids]
45m 49s
BEATLES Revolver LP EX+ UK 1988 Direct Metal Mastered DMM Parlophone Reissue US $35.47 Buy It Now 48m 31s
THE BEATLES JUKEBOX 7" RECORD LOT COLORED VINYL LENNON MCCARTNEY HARRISON 45RPM US $49.99 [0 bids]
48m 33s
1968 The Official BEATLES YELLOW SUBMARINE MAGAZINE US $48.38 Buy It Now 49m
The Beatles US 45 Capitol Starline X-6297 Eleanor Rigby 'MONO' US $9.99 [0 bids]
49m 39s
The Beatles US 45 Capitol Starline A-6300 All You Need Is Love 'MONO' US $29.99 [0 bids]
49m 46s
The Beatles part 1 & 2 cassettes US $44.99 Buy It Now 52m 14s
The Beatles "Revolver" Record LP US $15.95 [0 bids]
54m 7s
THE BEATLES Ob-la-di Ob-la-da / Julia VG++ CANADA CAPITOL 1976 Orange Re 45 rpm US $13.30 Buy It Now 54m 52s
THE BEATLES Yellow Submarine LP Dutch Press Apple 1A 064 04002 N.V. Bovema NM US $48.38 Buy It Now 55m 13s
Meet The Beatles Vinyl T-2047 Mono East Coast Pressing/no ASCAP/BMI Designation US $300.00 [0 bids]
56m 29s
The BEATLES- Officilal YELLOW SUBMARINE Stationary (envelope) US $48.38 Buy It Now 56m 36s
The Beatles 1967-1970 Blue Vinyl ( 2 ) LP'S 1973 Mastered by Capitol. US $24.04 [2 bids]
56m 52s
ARETHA FRANKLIN " LET IT BE (BEATLES)" RARE ORIGINAL GREEK COPY SOUL 7 "60's EX US $9.99 [0 bids]
57m
1966 THE BEATLES ~Revolver~ MONO CAPITOL RAINBOW COLORBAND LABEL T2576 $ US $11.99 [1 bids]
57m 52s
The Beatles "Confidential Document" LP M-/M-, US $24.99 [0 bids]
58m 58s
The Beatles 5112 "I Want To Hold Your Hand"1964 CAP EX+ RARE Vintage US $4.99 [0 bids]
59m 30s
2 CD COVERS & COOKIES OF LENNON McCARTNEY & BEATLES US $6.44 Buy It Now 1h
BEATLES 45 PENNY LANE ON CAPITOL VG+ US $1.99 [1 bids]
THE BEATLES 7" PS JAPAN I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER r8775 US $24.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
The Beatles Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band LP mono red swirl inner sleeve US $139.75 [0 bids]
BEATLES LIVE AT THE BBC cd set US $1.99 [1 bids]
BEATLES GO ELECTRO (CD) US $16.72 Buy It Now 1h 6m
THE BEATLES All you need is love CANADA CAPITOL 1976 Orange Re 45 rpm US $13.30 Buy It Now 1h 8m
The Beatles "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" LP M-/VG+, Thames LG 3301 US $19.99 [0 bids]
The Official BEATLES YELLOW SUBMARINE Stationary- JOHN LENNON A4 paper. US $48.38 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Beatles - Help! (1987) Original Version Early Pressing West Germany CD US $6.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES-NO FALTA MUCHO MEXICO EP US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
THE BEATLES-Quiero Ser Tu Hombre MEXICO EP US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
THE MASKED MARAUDERS Deity/Reprise 6378 PROMO LP Beatles,Rolling Stones, Dylan US $11.25 Buy It Now 1h 10m
The Beatles - Love Songs rare original comp US Capitol dbl LP gatefold + booklet US $39.20 [0 bids]
PAUL MCCARTNEY Back In The U.S. Live Tour Cd Beatles Guitar Lennon Rock Music US $1.95 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES - TIMELESS INTERVIEW DISC - LIMITED EDITION ALBUM PICTURE DISC US $19.36 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES SHEET MUSIC APPROX 184 SONGS ORGAN EDITION - PHOTOS + ILLUSTRATIONS/ US $16.11 Buy It Now 1h 14m
John Lennon Beatles - "Woman Is The..." - Juke Box Edition- Mega Rare EX -ITALY US $24.20 [0 bids]
Beatles A7 Notebook (Yellow Submarine - Hey Bulldog) BRAND NEW US $4.82 [0 bids]
The Beatles Metal Fridge Magnet (Les Beatles) Brand New US $4.02 [0 bids]
The Beatles Metal Fridge Magnet (Let It Be - Single) Brand New US $4.02 [0 bids]
Beatles A7 Notebook (Yellow Submarine - Blue) BRAND NEW US $4.82 [0 bids]
Beatles A7 Notebook (We Can Work It Out) BRAND NEW US $4.82 [0 bids]
Beatles A6 Notebook (Liverpool) BRAND NEW US $8.05 [0 bids]
The Beatles "Abbey Road" Leather Belt BRAND NEW US $15.24 [0 bids]
The Beatles Metal Fridge Magnet (Lady Madonna) Brand New US $4.02 [0 bids]
The Beatles Metal Fridge Magnet (Come Together/ Something) Brand New US $4.02 [0 bids]
The Beatles Metal Fridge Magnet (Live at Shea Stadium) Brand New US $4.02 [0 bids]
The Beatles Metal Fridge Magnet (We Can Work It Out / Day Tripper) Brand New US $4.02 [0 bids]
The Beatles Metal Fridge Magnet (Four Colours) Brand New US $4.02 [0 bids]
Beatles A7 Notebook (Yellow Submarine - Sky) BRAND NEW US $4.82 [0 bids]
Beatles A6 Notebook (Love Me Do) BRAND NEW US $8.05 [0 bids]
The Beatles Metal Fridge Magnet (Let It Be - Album) Brand New US $4.02 [0 bids]
The Beatles Metal Fridge Magnet (Abbey Road) Brand New US $4.02 [0 bids]
The Beatles Metal Fridge Magnet (Yellow Submarine - Sea Of Holes) Brand New US $4.02 [0 bids]
The Beatles PVC Fridge Magnet (Love Me Do) Brand New US $4.82 [0 bids]
The Beatles Metal Fridge Magnet (Help! Orange) Brand New US $4.02 [0 bids]
BEATLES VI Capitol ST-2358 vintage US $12.99 [1 bids]
Beatles Square Notebook (Revolver) BRAND NEW US $4.82 [0 bids]
PROMO WHITE LABEL / THE BEATLES 1967-1970 / JAPAN WITH OBI US $249.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
1980 THE BEATLES ~Abbey Road~ MFSL ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING LP ON CAPITOL *NM* US $33.00 [2 bids]
The Beatles Anthology 2 Disc 2 ONLY Lady Madonna BONUS CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
PROMO LABEL SEALED NEW / THE BEATLES 3D THE BRITISH ARE COMING / JAPAN US $249.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
THE BEATLES Rubber Soul - 1965 Vinyl LP 331/3 RPM Mono T- 2442 USA Pressing US $17.99 [0 bids]
33RPM Vinyl Record THE BEATLES LET IT BE APPLE UK IMPORT Mint- Vinyl PCS 7096 US $54.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
The Beatles "The E.M.I.Outakes" LP M-/M-, US $14.99 [0 bids]
John Lennon - The Beatles. Collectors Mug US $11.21 Buy It Now 1h 21m
PROMO WHITE LABEL / THE BEATLES TALK / JAPAN UNPLAYED US $129.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
BEATLES PICTURE DISC RECORD/ALBUM "THE BEATLE TALK WITH JERRY G" US $21.00 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES framed Pic PERNY DEN. PAUL JOHN RINGO GEORGE US $0.87 [0 bids]
BEATLES / THE BEATLES BOX - Japan 8LP Box SET w/obi COMPLETE US $200.00 Buy It Now 1h 25m
RED VINYL / THE BEATLES RUBBER SOUL / JAPAN APPLE WITH OBI US $169.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
The Beatles, Birth of, La grande storia del Rock, Italy GSR-46 US $14.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
BEATLES VINYL RECORD ALBUM "THE EARLY YEARS FEATURING TONY SHERIDAN" US $11.00 [0 bids]
BEATLES-HELP!-ORIGINAL UK PARLOPHONE MONO 1st PRESS LP 1965 US $16.94 [0 bids]
King ELVIS Presley & Fab 4 BEATLES "THE MAIN EVENT ELVIS VS THE BEATLES" On 1 LP US $124.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
The Beatles "1st U.S. Concert!" LP M-/M-, White Knight Records WK 20 Japan US $49.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES Revolver CD UK 14 tracks EMI Parlophone Apple CDP 7 46441 2 US $7.99 [0 bids]
Rare THE BEATLES Yellow Submarine 1999 US 4-Track PROMO CD DPRO 7087 6 13853 2 B US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
THE BEATLES Yellow Submarine 1999 US 4-Track PROMO CD DPRO 7087 6 13853 2 B Rare US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
AUDIOPHILE LOB HALF CUTTING / THE BEATLES SONGS DISCO OCTOPUS / BOOGIE FUNK JAPA US $299.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m

More places to buy THE BEATLES music online Buy THE BEATLES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE BEATLES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE BEATLES Free As A Bird ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(30%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(40%)

THE BEATLES Free As A Bird reviews

Review by Chicapah
4 stars In the mid 90s when we aging Beatlemaniacs got wind of the group's upcoming anthology series we weren't nearly as interested in the state-of-the-art rehashing of their incredible story as we were in the rumor that the documentary would include at least one new song. By all means we were, as ever, interested (read: obsessed) in discovering any extra tidbits of information, trivia and/or minutiae that had somehow been left out of the reams of literature that had been generated about the Fab Four since their inception but the idea of being graced with an unheard recording was almost too much to bear. High anxiety was rampant. I, for one, had never really wanted a full-scale reunion to materialize during the 70s because I instinctively felt it would never have served their legacy justice. I was content for them to leave well enough alone. But after a despicable, cowardly, pea-brained imbecile cruelly snatched the life and art of John Lennon from us one bitter evening I changed my point of view. In the face of such ugliness I welcomed any resurrection of the benevolent spirit the Beatles had so magically spread throughout the world in the 60s because now I believed it would be accepted in reverential remembrance of their contributions to mankind, not in wistful mimicry of what we all once had. They wouldn't be reuniting, exactly; they would merely be adding a respectful coda onto a resplendent career.

When the much-anticipated day finally arrived (December 4, 1995) I wasn't disappointed. Not in the least. In fact, I was amazed at what they had achieved. For those of you who don't know the details, "Free as a Bird" was born as a bare-bones demo John taped on a cassette inside his Dakota apartment in 1977. There were bootleg versions out and about but it had never become a finished product. Yoko Ono gave it to Paul when the concept of producing something special that all of the quartet could be a part of for the big event was formulated. Advanced digital technology made it possible for producer Jeff Lynne (George Martin humbly bowed out due to hearing ills) to improve the fidelity of Lennon's living room performance and allow Ringo, George and Paul to embellish the tune with their own influences. Considering how it came together, the end result is remarkable. It shot up to #2 in the UK and #6 in the USA, becoming the band's 34th top ten single. It's also the only time that Lennon, Harrison and McCartney sang separate lead vocals on the same song. And, while it'll never be mentioned in the same company as their greatest compositions, it's nonetheless a fitting, honorable tribute to their lofty artistic standards and a loving gift to their adoring fans.

The tune's moodiness reflects the somewhat trippy yet earthy attitude of their Magical Mystery Tour era and that's fine by me. Having said that, it doesn't really sound like anything else they ever did. John's typically unorthodox chording distinguishes it from the familiar doo wop pattern it could easily have fallen into and his thin, phantom vocal suits the somber occasion perfectly. When Paul sings "Whatever happened to/the life that we once knew/can we really live without each other?/where did we lose the touch/it seemed to mean so much/it always made me feel so free," he echoes the nostalgic sentiment of millions. The background harmonies are as lush as they always were, George's inimitable slide guitar work can't be mistaken for anyone else's and the same compliment can be applied to Ringo's unique drum fills. The false ending is so delightfully Beatle-ish and the added touch of Harrison's ukulele strumming accompanied by a backwards snippet from Lennon himself during the fade is pure genius. (He actually said "turned out nice again" but when reversed it sounds eerily like "made by John Lennon." That's the definition of serendipity, boys and girls.) I don't see how anyone could ask for more under the circumstances. It's another excellent song from the lads from Liverpool. Period.

The EP I have also contains take #9 of "I Saw Her Standing There" from February '63 which provided McCartney's enthusiastic 1-2-3-4 count that got spliced onto the front of take #1, the track that made it onto their debut album. It hints that they might've grown weary of playing it by the ninth time around because George's lead break is uncharacteristically sloppy. The October '63 studio version of "This Boy" included on the CD is actually two different stabs at the number, both of which end prematurely/rudely in gales of laughter. To hear them cutting up together like that reminds me that they were, at heart, just good pals getting to do what they loved and that in itself is music to this enthusiast's ears. "Christmas Time (Is Here Again)" was their annual holiday present to their fan club members in '67 and has all the evidences of being composed hastily on the spot with Starr intoning "O-U-T spells OUT." Individually they offer their cheerful season's greetings and then John utters a soliloquy so heavily accented (British, Irish, Scottish maybe?) as to make it unintelligible to this befuddled Texas native. It's probably very coy and witty.

The bottom line is that they didn't fail either us or themselves with "Free As A Bird." For decades we fanatics and followers begged for one last treat but I dare say that we would've settled for a mere crumb, if necessary. In true Beatle fashion, though, they surprised us and gave us something of quality, something substantial, something worthy of our unflagging adoration. The tune is an exceptional epilogue to one of the greatest tomes ever written. Doubtful that the inhabitants of this crazy planet will ever know their like again. A pity.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#280180) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 01, 2010

Post a review of THE BEATLES "Free As A Bird"