PRE-EMPTIVE FALSE RAPTURE

1. Nordic Curse (1:58)
2. Tonyte (5:30)
3. Pronoid (3:48)
4. Circus 9000 (4:40)
5. Moss Covered Obelisk (9:02)
6. Leave This Ruined Husk (3:45)
7. Symbolik 180° (2:46)
8. Death Is Certain (4:21)
9. Astral Suicide (2:47)
10. Egg N' Bass (1:34)
11. Spokes of Uridium (8:07)

Search CHROME HOOF Pre-Emptive False Rapture lyrics

- Nuwella Love / vocals
- Sarah Anderson / violin, viola
- Tim Bowen / cello

Southern Records

Thanks to Logan for the addition

CHROME HOOF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CHROME HOOF Pre-Emptive False Rapture Music

PID 2010
Beyond ZadeBeyond Zade
Rise Above 2006
Vinyl Bound$7.41
CLASSIC ROCK MAGAZINE PRESENTS WIRED, 15 MIND BENDING TRACKSCLASSIC ROCK MAGAZINE PRESENTS WIRED, 15 MIND BENDING TRACKS
Audio CD$2.99 (used)
Pronoid [Vinyl]Pronoid [Vinyl]
Single
Southern Records 2009
Vinyl$8.28

More places to buy CHROME HOOF music online Buy CHROME HOOF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CHROME HOOF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CHROME HOOF Pre-Emptive False Rapture ratings distribution

CHROME HOOF Pre-Emptive False Rapture reviews

Review by Logan
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Forum Moderator
4 stars The name of this album from this fairly goofy, yet talented band sounds like a cliche parody, but that's all part of the fun.

This is an enjoyable, quirky, fun and experimental-sounding album which draws from Norwegian Metal, Grind, Funk, Psyche, Disco, Techno, Zeuhl, Krautrock, RIO, Doom, Avant, Canterbury Scene, Punk, Jazz, Acid House, and NWBHM influences, as well as others. A qualm one may have with the album is that it can be rather derivative, but I find that can deepen one's appreciation as one picks up on musical reference points. It sounds so familiar (it has retro qualities), despite the diversity, and I noticed certain pieces (parts of tracks) that practically seem lifted from other works, aside from wearing the influences on its sleeve (but, sadly, these are not mentioned in the liner notes). I've thought that it might be a fun exercise to spot the numerous musical references. Being a Magma fan, the direct Magma references were particularly noticeable. However, one can look at this in part as homage to certain bands and styles, while the whole package put together is quite unique. The overall package is really quite ingenious (some will find it not cohesive enough).

Nordic Curse is sort of an homage to Norwegian metal bands, but I also discern a Black Sabbath influence in this track. Nice.

Tonyte is a great driving funk/disco track with some Zeuhl flavour -- lots of groove, but, be warned, it's not very danceable.

Pronoid: I've heard the Graham Massey's remix was quite popular in some nightclubs. It's a house/ funk/ disco/ breakbeat/ post-punk piece with a New Wave influence. I like it.

Circus 9000: This is a great track. The craziness reminds me somewhat of Fantomas and Koenjihayakkei. This really feels like a circus. The post punkishness is interrupted by a chamber music segment a la Univers Zero, or later chamber rock bands.

Moss Covered Obelisk is the Prog epic, along with Spokes of Uridium. It starts off in Magma's Theusz Hamtaahk territory, and later moves into Köhntarkösz territory, and has Paga qualities (like Une Parcelle d'Urantia). it's very obvious to me that the bass work is inspired by Bernard Paganotti. It also has hints at groups such as Fantomas and Kramus. It's a very good track which I'm not describing adequately. The sax reminds me of Zorn, and the track has Zappaesque and Sun Ra qualities.

Leave this Ruined Husk is really noisy and has, again Fantomas like qualities, and a jazzy experimental metal, as well as a post-punk attitude.

Symbolic 180 Degrees is difficult for to describe at this time, so I won't really, but it has post-punk qualities with passages reminiscent of Vortex... or Zao.

Death Is Certain is doomy metal but with avant/ jazzy qualities/ passages. The growling makes for interesting contrast. I really like the repetitive Canterbury-tinged chamber rock passage in it.

Astral Suicide is crazy and noisy, but a little spacey too.

Egg 'n Bass: I'm guessing that this name is an EGG reference (the band, not the ovum). It's a fine little electronic/ IDM piece.

Spokes of Uridium is a very good track. Very funky and cool with extreme jazz-metal elements. One of the best tracks.

Anyway, I really like this album, and despite any evident influences, I think that Chrome Hoof has something different to offer to Prog fans, and is well worth checking out. I love the contrast and diversity of styles, and despite having listened to this album many times, I'm constantly discovering things in the music (even if I have difficulty describing those things). Like Prog generally, it takes repeated spins to really get the music. I'm a real lover of funk, and so that is what drew me to the music originally, and I really dig their disco sound. It's great fun and with so much groove. This is musically different, yet familiar.

As for the rating, I am torn. Personally I'd like to give it four stars, yet three may be more appropriate. I'm giving it a four for now, but that is subject to change.

To redundantly repeat part of my C.H. bio: I recommend this for those who enjoy diversity in their music, and are not scared to take an alternative Prog route where the funky disco queen resides ensconced by chrome monks in her bizarre disco-ball palace.

Send comments to Logan (BETA) | Report this review (#203427) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Review by clarke2001
4 stars Skunk Anansie meets Lene Lovich in a Zeuhl world.

Here's an oddity if there ever was one. I'll start with my final impression, stripped to the bone, and nurtured after repeated listening ' this is an entity that can be recommended both to old fashioned prog purists as well as to the fans of new school(s) of prog. It's accessible, it's bizarre, quirky, you name it. And it's impossible to pin-point it down; after a hail to the Wagneresque heights of Norwegian gods in majestic chugging, the next moment is poppy, disco-ish, funky (sort of B 52's or CHIC mannerism) but with angularity of KRAFTWERK robot movements. Not to mention only a hint or two, presented by a bare innuendo, of our beloved genre - a hint of fusion, MANDRILL-style, presented by a spacey tap or two of digital delay.

When a vocal pops in, it's a rich timbered female one, suitable for any gospel choir. Her vocal expressions are varying from a modern r n' b level (sic!) to the most evil commando on the most distanced Zeuhl planet! Now there's something to scratch your head about. If we throw in a solid amount of avant approach, an incredibly overdriven organ in 5ths and a teaspoon of vocoderized, undecipherable motives to make it sound shiny happy poppy - there's nothing else to do but to recommend it to everyone interested in vivid, colourful collage of humorous and bizarre ingredients. Recommended. Again. Recommended.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#206692) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 12, 2009

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
4 stars This is an interesting album. Chrome Hoof was formed by Leo Smee, bassist of UK metal band Cathedral, and his brother Milo Smee. Then they added about a hundered other people to the group. There are many instruments used besides the regular guitars, bass and drums like keyboards, as well wind and string instruments. There are both male and female vocals. Musically, they are all over the place. You will hear things similar to some PA sub-genres like Zeuhl, RIO or space rock mixed with disco, ska or IDM.

"Nordic Curse" opens with spacey sounds and vocals before it goes into some sort of Zeuhl metal. Tape gets sped up at the end. "Tonyte" is almost funk-punk. Cool bass playing. Gets more stereotypical prog sounding in the middle before changing to a kind of New Wave funk metal. Female vocals here. "Circus 9000" opens with great organ and synth. Then it goes into some sort of ska/circus music/metal hybrid. In the middle the music changes to electric piano and cello. Then what sounds like sax and guitar join in. Goes back to the previous section.

The highlight of the album is "Moss Covered Obelisk", which has some strong Zeuhl and avant-prog influences. It begins with piano and strings, then bass comes in and it sounds like an update of Magma's '70s sound. Changes to a great blues-rock part with saxophone. Later you hear the voice of a woman giving a speech. A repeated guitar part leads to a section with great trumpet. Good drumming at this point. Later some jazzy guitar and strings leads to a reggae-rock part with a great slap-bass sound and horns. A real standout track.

"Symbolik 180[degrees]" has a circle instead of [degrees], but I can't type that symbol. This song has a terrific riff on distorted synth and guitar. Nice cowbell. Catchy song, but it's way too short. "Egg 'N Bass" sounds like Polish electronic artist Bogdan Raczynski. Nice interesting song but too short. "Spokes Of Uridium" begins as jazzy disco-metal. Music gets more varied in the middle. Techno style synth sounds and drum programming come in. Goes back to the jazzy disco-metal part. A drum solo later. Then someone on something does an imitation of the opening guitar sounds of Sabbath's "Iron Man". Intense ending.

The album title is pretty neat. I haven't heard their first album but I have heard their latest 2010 album. It hasn't been added to PA yet, but I didn't enjoy it as much as this one. These guys get points for at least attempting to mix different genres together in a unique way. The combination generally works. I like that they mix both old school prog sounds with more modern non-prog elements. This comes highly recommended, but I'm not sure to who. Anyway, a great album that should be heard by more people. 4 stars.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#386274) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 25, 2011

4 stars This band, for better or worse, should become huge as they cross so many musical genres and are building up a pretty dedicated cult following , mainly by playing live. Pre-emptive false rapture is as eclectic an album as you could possibly require. If like myself you want to hear something diffe ... (read more)

Report this review (#205968) | Posted by kitthehammer | Tuesday, March 10, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CHROME HOOF "Pre-Emptive False Rapture"