SYMPHONIC LIVE

Buy YES Music
Live, released in 2009

CD 1
1. Overture (2:30)
2. Close To The Edge (20:30)
3. Don't Go (4:29)
4. In The Presence Of (11:03)
5. The Gates Of Delirium (23:30)
6. Steve Howe Guitar Solo (6:25)

CD 2
1. Starship Trooper (12:18)
2. Magnification (7:23)
3. And You And I (11:15)
4. Ritual (28:21)
5. I've Seen All Good People (7:20)
6. Owner Of A Lonely Heart (5:48)
7. Roundabout (6:28)

with
- Tom Brislin / keyboards
- Wilhelm Keitel / orchestra conductor

Eagle Records ER 20152-2

Thanks to Evolver for the addition

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES Symphonic Live Music

Heaven & EarthHeaven & Earth
Frontiers Records (Universal) 2014
Songs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary ConcertSongs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary Concert
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2014
Atlantic Catalog Group 2013
Fly From HereFly From Here
Deluxe Edition
Frontiers Records 2011
Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary CollectionUltimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection
Elektra / Wea 2004
YESSONGS BY YES LIVE TRIPLE VINYL RECORD ALBUM BY FROM 1973 US $12.00 Buy It Now 29m 42s
CLASSIC YES VINYL RECORD ALBUM FROM 1981 US $15.60 Buy It Now 31m 32s
DINAH SHORE Dinah Yes Indeed LP EX US $9.99 Buy It Now 32m 35s
TREVOR RABIN self-titled LP Chrysalis 1978 NM Yes man US $9.99 Buy It Now 32m 35s
YES Yesshows VINYL 2x LP RECORD Brand New! US $37.98 Buy It Now 34m 5s
YES 9012LIVE THE SOLOS TAPE FIRST PRESSIN 1985 OOP JON ANDERSON US $3.00 Buy It Now 38m 4s
CLASSIC BY YES VINYL RECORD ALBUM FROM 1981 US $18.00 Buy It Now 39m 42s
Classic Yes [Remaster] by Yes (CD, Sep-1994, Atlantic (Label)) US $1.50 [0 bids]
41m 6s
YES Tormato lp 1st pressing OOP HTF 1978 ATLANTIC REC pink floyd hawkwind ELP US $6.00 Buy It Now 42m 58s
YES Fragile LP 1972 Atlantic EX Roundabout, Long Distance Run., Mood for a Day US $12.74 Buy It Now 45m 37s
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $2.00 Buy It Now 47m 39s
YES: Going For The One (SD 19106) (Atlantic-1977) VG+/EX US $7.75 Buy It Now 48m 5s
PATRICK MORAZ / SYRINX "COEXISTENCE" PROG ROCK 1980 YES UK IMPORT !!! US $7.99 [0 bids]
49m 2s
PATRICK MORAZ "THE STORY OF I" UK PROG 1976 YES 1ST SOLO JEFF BERLIN RAY GOMEZ US $6.99 [0 bids]
49m 2s
RARE Lee Dorsey Yes We Can LP OG Soul Funk Breaks The Meters Allen Toussaint US $44.25 [9 bids]
50m 30s
LONG DRIVE HOME - YES- SHE PLAYS GUITAR!!-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
54m 43s
BILLBOARD #1'S THE 80'S - QUEEN- YES- BILLY IDOL- GENESIS- REM INXS-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
54m 56s
BACCARA Japan 1977 7"45 YES SIR, I CAN BOOGIE US $13.99 Buy It Now 56m 35s
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
58m 55s
ANTHONY NEWLEY~When Your Lover Has Gone bw Yes We Have No Bananas LONDON 45 wOCS US $1.95 [0 bids]
59m 42s
(J42) The Fighting Cocks, Love Somebody Yes I Do- DJ CD US $3.77 Buy It Now 1h 3m
YES 3 versions LEAVE IT 12" Remix Acappella HELLO Goodbye NEAR MINT FREE US SHIP US $12.98 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Mollys Yes : Wonderworld CD (1999) US $3.90 Buy It Now 1h 5m
The Dresden Dolls : Yes, Virginia? [Explicit] [Us Import] CD (2006) US $11.75 Buy It Now 1h 6m
MELISSA ETHERIDGE Cassette 3xTAPES Lot BRAVE AND CRAZY Yes I Am COUNTRY Music US $4.20 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Neil DIAMOND~Serenade~LP:(& free CD)been this way before,yes-I will,Last Picasso US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
YES [9012Live: The Solos] 85 NM+/NM+/NM US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Slaughter, Alvin, Yes Audio CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
YES~90125~RARE ORIG '83 ATLANTIC PROMO LP w/TIMING STRIP~BOB LUDWIG MASTER~EX US $19.95 Buy It Now 1h 15m
YES - YESTERDAYS - RARE - URUGUAY US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
YES 90125 LP RECORD MASTERDISK ROBERT LUDWIG MASTER VG++ US $9.60 Buy It Now 1h 18m
YES CLASSIC YES CASSETTE TAPE LIGHTLY USED US $5.91 Buy It Now 1h 21m
CHAD BROCK - Yes! - 45rpm record US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Yes Owner Of A Lonely Heart b/w Our Song, ATCO #7-99817, 1983 [PS] 45-rpm Record US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Beatles Ticket to Ride /yes it is w picture sleeve mfd UK (45) US $5.99 [0 bids]
YES - Big Generator - VG++ Vinyl Lp 1987 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 26m
SY OLIVER - YES INDEED NEW CD US $23.84 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Yes I See by Bob Gibson (CD) Collectors' Choice Music! BRAND NEW! US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Symphonic Music of Yes by London Philharmonic Orchestra/Bill Bruford (CD, Oct... US $5.95 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Jimmy Buffett Vinyl Album Florida yes US $5.00 [0 bids]
YES Tormato LP SD19202 1978 orig vinyl prog rock w/ lyric inner sleeve atlantic! US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Yes Tormato Vinyl LP Record Album US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Yes Drama Vinyl LP Record Album US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
YES Greatest Video Hits AMLY-8024 OBI LD AG8063 US $19.99 [0 bids]
YES Greatest Video Hits AMLY-8024 LD AG1001 US $14.99 [0 bids]
YES "NM DISC" An Evening of Yes Music Plus VALJ-3395 OBI 2LD AG1004 US $14.99 [0 bids]
YES Live 1975 at Q.P.R. VALJ-9001 OBI 2LD AG1000 US $14.99 [0 bids]
YES Keys to Ascension VALC-1021 OBI 2LD AG1003 US $14.99 [0 bids]
ANDERSON, BRUFORD, An Evening of Yes Music Plus VALJ-3395 OBI 2LD AC1526 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Yes s/t LP 180 gm vinyl RE reissue FridayMusic self-titled new US $28.98 Buy It Now 1h 43m
YES-Heaven & Earth-2014 CD US $2.75 [6 bids]
YES Live 1975 at Q. P. R. Vol. 1 VALJ-3406 LD AE1726 US $9.99 [0 bids]
YES Live 1975 at Q. P. R. Vol. 2 VALJ-3407 LD AE1727 US $9.99 [0 bids]
45Rpm Let Me In/Oh Yes I'll Be True The Sensations 1962 7" Numbered Pop US $1.50 [0 bids]
YES "NM DISC" 9012 Live VAL-3013 OBI LD AE7525 US $9.99 [0 bids]
YES "NM DISC" Live 1975 at Q. P. R. VALJ-9001 OBI 2LD AC3341 US $9.99 [0 bids]
YES "NM DISC" An Evening of Yes Music Plus VALJ-3395 2LD AE5631 US $9.99 [0 bids]
YES Yessongs BVLP-40 LD AE5635 US $9.99 [0 bids]
YES Greatest Video Hits AMLY-8024 LD AE5638 US $9.99 [0 bids]
YES-Union-JON ANDERSON-King Crimson-ASIA-The Strawbs-Cd US $7.49 Buy It Now 1h 52m
THE BEATLES Ticket To Ride / Yes It Is 45 US $17.48 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Bill Moose Jackson "I Love You Yes I Do/Sneaky Pete" Original 78, King US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
YES - CLASSIC YES - CASSETTE USA PRINT - ATLANTIC - no floyd rush genesis US $6.25 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Asia - Self-Titled S/T 1982 prog Steve Howe YES Roger Dean cover Wetton Downes US $5.00 [0 bids]
YES Yessongs LIVE 1972 lp 3 records - sound is 99% flawless US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Park Avenue Baptist Church Choir - Oh Yes I'm Glad LP Sealed Private Press US $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Sylvester Blue - Yes, God Is Real LP Xian His HR1001 US $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 58m
~ YELLO - YOU GOTTA SAY YES TO ANOTHER EXCESS~ MUSIC CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Yes - CD Single by Amber/Amber Asylum (CD, Oct-2001, Tommy Boy) US $1.99 [0 bids]
2h
Stone Temple Pilots,Purple,12 Gracious Melodies,Disc-Case-Booklet,Rocks,Yes$$$ US $1.49 [0 bids]
2h
40 YEARS A Charlie Brown Christmas,12 Tracks,Many Artists,JAZZ Society,YES! YES! US $6.85 [0 bids]
SOUNDS 1972 DEC 23 JETHRO TULL YES SLADE + WHO POSTER US $40.07 Buy It Now 2h
MUSIC CD - Just Say Yo: Vol. 2 of Just Say Yes by Various Artists, free shipping US $4.08 [0 bids]
SOUNDS 1972 JUN 24 FACES WHO TOWNSHEND + YES POSTER US $40.07 Buy It Now 2h 2m
JIMMY RILEY Showcase ORIGINAL YES LP LISTEN US $39.95 Buy It Now 2h 3m
SOUNDS 1973 APR 21 CROWS JIMMY PAGE YES ZAPPA URIAH US $24.03 Buy It Now 2h 3m
SOUNDS 1973 APR 21 STONE THE CROWS TRAFFIC YES ZAPPA US $24.03 Buy It Now 2h 3m
YES | 90125 | 1983 CD | reunion recording US $4.99 [0 bids]
653225006120 YES YES TO YOU The Affair (2005) SEALED CD FAST POST US $6.40 Buy It Now 2h 4m
SOUNDS 1973 NOV 24 MOUNTAIN YES + ELTON JOHN POSTER US $32.05 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Yes - Yesshows 2LP Roger Dean prog US $6.00 [0 bids]
SUPER BAND COLLECTION-LIVE Pink Floyd/Queen/Zeppelin/YES?JAPAN CD Insert WTO-29 US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $5.99 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman (Yes) Journey To The Centre Of The Earth US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Yes - Close To The Edge SACD NEW/MINT Audio Fidelity # 1028 US $35.00 Buy It Now 2h 15m
YES, album Big Generator LP, 90522-1 original 1987, near mint, YES, Jon Anderson US $4.95 [0 bids]
Yessongs by Yes (CD, Sep-1973, 2 Discs, Atlantic (Label)) US $8.49 [0 bids]
YES, double LP, Tales From Topographic Oceans, orig press, VG, gatefold, Yes US $6.00 [0 bids]
YES Close to The Edge P-8274 LP AG2555 US $4.99 [1 bids]
RARE Yes 12" LP EXCELLENT vinyl 90125 Record Club Edition CRC Changes Leave It US $12.98 Buy It Now 2h 22m
JOE BUDDEN fire yes yes y'all feat. busta rhymes 12" Mint- B0000844 11 Vinyl US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Yes! [Digipak] by Jason Mraz (CD, Jul-2014, Atlantic (Label)) US $6.19 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Yes Time And A Word Japan Hybrid SACD From High Vibration Box New CD OOP Sealed US $23.97 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Yes 1st Self Titled Japan Hybrid SACD From High Vibration Box New CD OOP Sealed US $23.97 Buy It Now 2h 31m
THE MOODY BLUES Seventh Sojourn - Cassette USA Press 1986 - no strawbs yes US $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $0.10 [0 bids]
Yes : Tormato CD US $9.43 Buy It Now 2h 37m
YES ~ TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS LP ~ NEAR MINT picture labels US $11.99 [0 bids]
1974 SWEET SENSATION "SAD SWEET DREAMER/SURETHING YES I DO" 7" 45 UK RECORD VG+ US $0.99 [0 bids]
YES drama LP Record VG 1980 US $24.98 Buy It Now 2h 51m

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES Symphonic Live ratings distribution

YES Symphonic Live reviews

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars Another live Yes album? Do we need another one?

This is the CD version od the DVD released back in 2002 (which I haven't seen).

Is this Yes with an orchestra instead of a keyboard player? NO! The orchestra fills in for much of the absence of a full-fledged Yes keyboardist, but Tom Brislin fill in nicely for many of the necessary keyboard parts.

So let's go:

Skip track 1, Overture, it's just the tape played while the band enters - you've heard this before.

Close To The Edge starts out a bit sloppy. It's too bad they start with this song, as it's obvious that the band is not fully warmed up until about halfway through the song. The final verses and choruses are spectacular, with Squire & Howe playing as intricately as ever. Brislin does a nice job on the keyboard solo, but I would prefer if he had not tried so hard to play Wakeman's solo note-for-note.

Don't Go and In The Presence Of are nice renditions of songs from the Magnification album, and provide a nice warm up to the highlight of the first disk, The Gates Of Delirium. The orchestra does quite a bit to make this song very large sounding. Squire, Howe and White all play this one with a fury I've never heard from them before. This one is going right to my MP3 player.

The obligatory Steve Howe guitar solo ends the first disk. Doesn't he get tire of playing Mood For A Day at every show?

Disk 2 begins with fine performances of Starship Trooper and Magnification. And You And I benefits the most from the orchestra, with the arrangement bringing this old piece, which I had been tired of hearing, back to life.

I'm going to commit blasphemy here. I'll admit that I never could appreciate TFTO. The performances on all 4 track to me sounded drab and lifeless. The compositions are nice enough, but the original recordings sound forced, and at times, dull. The performance here of Ritual makes me want to revisit the album. Here, the orchestra brings the piece to life. And again, Howe and Squire play this piece like I've never heard them play before.

I've Seen All Good People is played straightforward, and the performance of Owner Of A Lonely Heart shows why the band usually played an acoutic, shortened version since Trevor Rabin left the band. Howe just doesn't have the same flair with the guitar synth.

And who could ever complain about Roundabout?

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#204376) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 26, 2009

Review by Menswear
5 stars It was my first seen show on DVD.

At first, the're wasn't a lot of shows on Dvd available, but this one was some of the first. In terms of quality, this show was above the others since it isn't a VHS rehash. It made me love Yes a lot more, most of the songs are really up-lifted with the use of the symphonic orchestra: Long Distance Runaround, Gates of Delirium and And You and I are simply to die for. I watched it so many times, and yet listening to the newest songs is still fun, like Don't Go and Magnification.

The band is at is very best mood, especially Anderson with some humor all along the way. He interacts very well with the crowd, lots of years of experience I guess. His voice is top-notch, bringing tears to my eyes a few times, especially in Soon from the Relayer album. If Steve Howe didn't prove you his legendary talent, this DVD will. His solo acts are troubadouresqly wonderful; just watch it. And by the way, the kid Tom Brislin on the keyboards is making it sound so easy, it's almost frustrating to watch! He sure nails the whole thing without breaking a sweat!

A classic in my own book.

Send comments to Menswear (BETA) | Report this review (#204584) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 27, 2009

Review by TheGazzardian
3 stars Yes' contribution to progressive rock in 2009 is a CD version of a concert that they recorded in 2001 and that has been available for some time on DVD. Probably intended to cash in on all the listeners who didn't get the limited edition of the DVD that came with CDs as well, this album seems somewhat uninspired in its timing.

Every track on this album has been released on a previous Yes live album, with the exception of Overture (the introduction they used during their symphonic tour) and Don't Go, which is not the best song Yes has done in recent years, although mildly fun. It does benefit from the inclusion of many of Yes' better epics, including complete versions of Close To The Edge, The Gates of Delirium, and Ritual. Close to the Edge has been done at least twice before (Yessongs, Keys to Ascension 2), and Gates of Delirium and Ritual were both released on Yesshows.

What makes this album worth purchasing, however, is the existence of an orchestra backing Yes up. The fact that they chose to play three of their most cherished epics, despite being previously released, only adds to the value of this collection. The orchestra makes these songs new and fresh again, even in 2009 (unless you owned the DVD). And the song collection is pretty holistic, gathering most of their biggest tracks from throughout the years while also giving ample time to their new (at the time of recording) release.

Yes fans own enough copies of them that hearing I've Seen All Good People, Roundabout, and Owner of a Lonely Heart at the end of this collection is actually more of a detriment than anything, even with the orchestra. But for listeners who haven't heard the band before, this album gives a great overview of what they have done and at the same time does it in a somewhat new way. That gives this album a bit of value beyond the hardcore audience. Although it is not their most essential live album, it will still provide value to any prog listener. Three stars.

Send comments to TheGazzardian (BETA) | Report this review (#257482) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Review by ProgressiveAttic
COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
5 stars Yes doesn't get old

Despite of how old they look (specially Howe) 33 years after their 1969 debut they still are as dynamic and talented as always.

The early 2000s was a very good era for Yes and a rebirth of their prog style that we all love. After almost 20 years of pop incursions (most of which are very enjoyable) the "classic" Yes prog lineup of such (monumental) albums as Tales From Topographic Oceans and Going For the One reappeared after the return of Rick Wakeman in 1996 with the live Keys To Ascension which included brand new studio material in the vein of their 70s masterpieces, showing how they are still in shape and creative. Wakeman left the band again (studio-wise) but the renewed symphonic prog spirit wasn't lost and with the help of Igor Khoroshev (keyboards and vocals) and Billy Sherwood (guitars, keyboards and vocals) they recorded the amazing The Ladder. Two years latter the band returned to the studio with Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Alan White and a SYMPHONIC ORCHESTRA!!!! to record Magnification (now that's symphonic prog), which, as the title announces, is really magnificent. And not only that.... they also toured with the orchestra!!! This is the recorded statement of such a tour.

It was about time! Yes finally decided to join the tradition of original monsters of symphonic prog such as The Moody Blues, Renaissance, ELP, etc. of playing with a symphonic orchestra. And that's not all, the set-list is the kind of thing that put a smile in the face of any "classic" Yes fan, including concert classics such as: Starship Trooper, I've Seen All Good People and Roundabout and monumental masterpieces from Close to the Edge, Relayer and Tales from Topographic Oceans (my personal favorite), many of which they haven't played for years. This without counting the lovely and magnificent pieces from Magnification.

This album is one of the proofs that Wakeman isn't indispensable for Yes to play masterful symphonic prog, even though if Patrick Moraz isn't available. The only thing you need to replace the Cape Crusader is a more than competent pianist such as Tom Brislin and an orchestra!. Here you can experience the best from the Yes prog catalog in a new dimension and as powerful as during the 70's.

Other than that we have Howe's usual outstanding and breathtaking solo, a great rendition of radio hit Owner of a Lonely Heart (only representative of the pop era) as a very appropriate closer to the concert and Jon's narrations between piece and piece indispensable on every Yesshow. Everything presented with an almost perfect sound quality.

At the end this is a masterpiece of a live album, with absolute masterpieces renewed and presented as never before. Every single track in the album is performed with such quality (including Owner of a Lonely Heart) that it is difficult to find live albums like this one.

The highlights, for me, are: Close to the Edge, Ritual, The Gates of Delirium, Starship Trooper, In the Presence of and Howe's solo.

Send comments to ProgressiveAttic (BETA) | Report this review (#269162) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 01, 2010

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars This Yes live album is way better seen on DVD of course but this is still masterful music with some of Yes' best live material. It features an orchestra that serves to enhance the music rather than detract. Of particular note are the stellar versions of 'Close To The Edge' all 20 minutes of it, 'In The Presence Of', 'The Gates Of Delirium' clocking 23:30, and one of the best renditions of 'Starship Trooper' I have heard.

The concert also boasts some soloing from Steve Howe which is always a treat, ad on CD 2 a wonderful setlist includes 'Magnification', 'And You And I', and a 28 minute version of Topographic's 'Ritual'. Of course stalwart classics are here such as 'I've Seen All Good People', 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart' and 'Roundabout'.

The sound quality is excellent and it all wraps up beautifully on 2 packed CDs. This is one of the best live performances and it is captured on DVD which far outweighs the audio but nevertheless 4 stars for the genius music is well deserved.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#763355) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 04, 2012

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
5 stars After the remarkable Magnification, which featured a full orchestra, it only made sense to record a concert in the same vein, and it's fascinating to hear many Yes classics accompanied by such an ensemble. While I agree that "The Firebird Suite" is Yes' official entrance theme, I appreciated their use of the stunning introduction to "Give Love Each Day" to begin the concert.

Symphonic Live boasts three epic masterworks. Opening with "Close to the Edge," the band performs this at a pace that doesn't quite suit the energy the piece deserves, although I find Steve Howe's cleaner tone more enjoyable than his tone on the original. "The Gates of Delirium," from that peaceful beginning to that peaceful ending and all the cacophony in between, is always wonderful and welcome. Clocking in at nearly a half an hour, "Ritual" features extended bass soloing and a nod to "The Ancient."

Three traditional Yes songs are rendered better here than on any other live album I have heard. "Long Distance Runaround" is light and dashing, with Alan White brightening the song considerably. "Starship Trooper" is full-bodied and ethereal. Finally, "And You and I," with that phenomenal orchestral backing, transports the listener to another world.

Two songs, however, just don't belong in the set list. Of all the stellar material on Magnification, the band opts to include "Don't Go," which is the second weakest piece from that album (that adjective, of course, belonging to "Soft as a Dove"). I would have preferred to have heard the uplifting and progressive masterpiece "We Agree" instead. And as much as I enjoy "Owner of a Lonely Heart," the song seems inappropriate among everything else on the album. "Hearts" (from the same album, 90125) would have been a stirring penultimate song. Still, the inclusion of these two songs is hardly anything to fuss over.

This is one of Yes' greatest live offerings.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#1222109) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 25, 2014

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Symphonic Live' - Yes (60/100)

Whatever doubts I may have had about post-90125 Yes were dispelled with 2001's Magnification. Sure, most of the 90s had been wasted on bad pop and lazy songwriting, but Magnification (and to a lesser extent, The Ladder) proved to me that Yes could still churn out a lovely album, given the proper inspiration. Although Symphonic Live was released on CD in 2009, this live performance was recorded during the Magnification tour. A more comprehensive portrayal of their Amsterdam date at the Heineken Music Hall can be found on the Symphonic Live DVD package. Suffice to say, even for the sake of a live album, hearing the band's classic material played alongside a full- blooded orchestra would be many a progger's dream come true. It's that heavy expectation that makes Symphonic Live somewhat disappointing. I loved what Larry Groupé had done with the immersive orchestrations on Magnification, but the symphonic arrangements here feel like background ambiance in comparison. Add to that a fairly muddled mix to an otherwise inspired performance from Yes, and you have yourself a fairly live album. By all accounts it's not a bad or even misguided attempt, but it should have been so much better.

Though, from what I've heard, the DVD release is apparently infinitely more impressive than this, the symphonic element feels understated to a fault. The string harmonies and bombast is audible if you listen hard enough, but it's almost always drowned out by the band's performance. It's obvious the band should remain the central attraction in a symphonic experiment like this, but adding an orchestra would have only been a worthwhile investment if it added something substantial to the music. The orchestral intros are a nice showcase for the symphony, but the arrangements to the classic material add no new dimensions. Even an epic like "Close to the Edge" (which is as close to classical composition as rock music gets) doesn't seem to take advantage of the vast potential here. What's more problematic is that many of the songs have been slowed down accordingly, supposedly to make room for the symphonic sweeps and flourishes. As far as the CD component to Symphonic Live is concerned, it wasn't worth it. Still, this is Yes we're talking about, and they have some of their best material here. The performances aren't as lively or essential as Yessongs, but you can't go wrong with the prog-heavy setlist they chose for it. In spite of the lazier tempo, "Close to the Edge" remains an absolute titan of a track. Sessioneer Tom Brislin fills Wakeman's shoes snugly, to the point where I could have sworn it was Rick playing those parts himself. While the pace and tone of Yes' performance is more leisurely than I would have preferred, Jon Anderson's voice is bright and shows little sign of aging here.

If you remove the superfluous orchestrations, you're left with a perfectly capable Yes album, with most of the tracks I might have liked to hear on one of their live albums. Even so, an album entitled Symphonic Live begs to be judged primarily on the merit of its orchestral contributions; in this sense, the album is a disappointment. Beyond the muddied mix (which could be forgiven- Yessongs suffered from the same thing) the orchestration suggests a sense of bombast, but lacks the determination to infuse itself into the composition. The symphony is a pompous backdrop to an otherwise strong performance from the band. It's reasonably good, but it's nothing that Yessongs and Keys to Ascension didn't offer years before.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#1294513) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 20, 2014

3 stars Enjoyable, but mean-spirited audio of critically acclaimed and popular concert, performed on DVD. Mean-spirited? I just feel that this concert warranted a double CD. The band have played safe with their track choice, limiting it to their 'well known' and shorter tracks, which in many cases ... (read more)

Report this review (#859561) | Posted by sussexbowler | Thursday, November 15, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Classic!! This is the very first Yes live DVD concert I ever saw, and boy did it blow my mind! I already had "Fragile" and "Relayer" in my Yes collection by the time I got a hold of this, and I was planning to get "Close to the edge" next, since I had heard great things about it. I saw this ... (read more)

Report this review (#465128) | Posted by Moonstone | Monday, June 20, 2011 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Why ? Yes is a band with a very big, symphonic sound. After all, this is one of the handful of bands who put symphonic back into music again. They re-connected the music business again with the likes of Ludwig Van Beethoven, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Johan Sebastian Bach. Not to mention ... (read more)

Report this review (#362492) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Friday, December 24, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This album is ont of the best gathered-live contect Yes ever put up on CD or DVD. The musicianship is great as always and age did not mark the band members in any negative way. They still have the force that's been driving them for years. Basically you'll like this if you are an Yes fan, and ... (read more)

Report this review (#233089) | Posted by aSimionescu | Thursday, August 20, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is, by far, the best live album I've heard in my whole life. Of course, I'm a big Yes fan, but trying to be imparcial, my opinion is based on the technical and musical virtues of this album. The musicians are in their best shape, and the addition of Tom Brislin on keyboards was a sucess. Howe ... (read more)

Report this review (#226029) | Posted by fmatah | Saturday, July 11, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars What to say ? The best Yes' songs with an orchestra behind ! Great versions of these classics... the best tracks are Close to the Edge, The Gates of Delirium, Ritual (Nous Sommes du Soleil), Starship Trooper and And You And I. The new songs Don't Go and Magnification are also extraordinary. It is re ... (read more)

Report this review (#205150) | Posted by claugroi | Tuesday, March 03, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "Symphonic Live"