SALAD DAYS

RIO/Avant-Prog

Cheer-Accident Salad Days album cover

Buy CHEER-ACCIDENT Music
Studio Album, released in 2000

1. Graphic Depression (11:21)
2. Insomnia (3:05)
3. Graphic Depression (0:56)
4. Post-Premature (2:08)

- Jeff Libersher / Guitars
- Dylan Posa / Bass, guitar, Casio, microcassette, air organ
- Phil Bonnet / Guitar, bass, flute, drums

Guest musicians:

- Jeb Bishop / Trombone (5)
- Janie Bouzek / Vocals (5)
- Lise Gilly / Flute, piccolo (5)
- Joan Morrone / French horn (5)

CD SkinGraft GR#62 CD (2000)

Thanks to Bj-1 for the addition

CHEER-ACCIDENT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Frozen Enduring The American Dream, 1997

Buy CHEER-ACCIDENT Salad Days Music

Salad DaysSalad Days
Skin Graft Records 2003

More places to buy CHEER-ACCIDENT music online Buy CHEER-ACCIDENT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CHEER-ACCIDENT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CHEER-ACCIDENT Salad Days ratings distribution

CHEER-ACCIDENT Salad Days reviews

Review by TheGazzardian
2 stars This is my most confusing Cheer-Accident album to date. Although on it, I can hear hints of what would later become "Introducing Lemon", this album consists mostly of music that is very hard for me to define. I suspect those in the know would classify this as a noise rock album, or perhaps even math rock; but such can only be a guess from me, who knows very little about either of these genres other than small doses here and there.

The meat of this album consists in the two longer tracks, the first Graphic Depression and the closer, Salad Days. The opener is a long, mostly instrumental track, that uses a lot of volume contrast. It is often lead by odd guitar tones but occasionally cuts out to let Thymme's falsetto ring through. He sings so quietly that I actually have to turn up my volume to make up what he's saying - a risky move when the guitars could return at any moment. The track meanders into a quiet ending with slow, rising high tones. Overall, this track ranges between interesting and confusing, and I often feel lost by the end of it.

The next three tracks are - well - something odd. It's almost as if the band broke apart the first track to create two of them; the second (and much shorter) Graphic Depression sounds like the vocals from the first made more audible and than chipmunk-ized and distorted. Odd indeed, but too short to do much more than baffle.

Post-Premature, the 4th track on the album, also borrows from the title track. This one is a pretty piano piece, yet the progression of notes is similar to the prior-mentioned rise of notes in the long Graphic Depression.

Insomnia is the only track that I haven't yet quite figured out the reference to the opener yet, and perhaps there isn't one. This one is a drum-based track with a bit of vocals.

This leads us all to the closing title track, a 20 minute suite that is ultimately about as wandering as the opener yet somehow feels much stronger. It is graced with a bit more horn playing, and although I really can't find words to describe the journey this one takes you on, I can only say that I find it oddly enjoyable pretty much from beginning to end. In an odd way, it's almost a hypnotic listen, and great for listening when you want to concentrate.

In the end, this is an album that leaves me baffled, one that I don't feel I've done justice describing, yet at the same time one that I can listen to back to back multiple times no problem. Very odd but not in a typically avant way.

Send comments to TheGazzardian (BETA) | Report this review (#349558) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 10, 2010

Post a review of CHEER-ACCIDENT "Salad Days"