PRICKLY PEAR

Buy THE SOURCE Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

1. Promised Land (9.58)
2. Star Dreamer (5.30)
3. Until Morning Time (11.38)
- a. Cloudless World
- b. The Sage & The Valley Of Ancient Curse
4. Thin Air (5.48)
5. Castles In The Sky (15.13)

Search THE SOURCE Prickly Pear lyrics

Search THE SOURCE Prickly Pear tabs

- Aaron Goldich / vocals, hammond organ, piano, keyboards
- Harrison Leonard / electric & acoustic guitars, vocals
- Paul Long / bass
- Isaac Watts / drums, percussion, vocals

CD Just For Kicks Music 8969 (2009 Germany)

Thanks to Rivertree for the addition

THE SOURCE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE SOURCE Prickly Pear Music

MAIN SOURCE PEACE IS NOT THE WORD TO PLAY 12" 1991 JAPAN RE-ISSUE RARE #MJ0004 US $6.99 [0 bids]
47m 11s
MAIN SOURCE JUST HANGIN OUT/LIVE AT THE BBQ 12" REISSUE #WPT-1004 US $5.49 [0 bids]
47m 11s
ART BLAKEY - THE PRIME SOURCE [REMASTER] - NEW CD BOXSET US $19.20 Buy It Now 47m 51s
America Remembers by Various Artists (CD, Direct Source) SEE COMMENTS US $3.25 Buy It Now 1h 18m
The Best of the Seventies: 1972 (CD, 1998, Direct Source) US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Michael JACKSON 5 Jacksons REMIXES 2 SOUL SOURCE Japan CD obi sealed new not dvd US $44.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
MORGAN - OUT THERE ON THE MOON - SOURCE RECORDS - 7" US $1.68 [0 bids]
Country Stars & Stripes by Kitty Wells (CD, Mar-2001, Direct Source) New Sealed US $6.00 [0 bids]
600% Pure Dance RARE Israel Israeli CD HEAR Euro-House Kathy Brown / The Source US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Classic American Voices by Judy Garland (CD, 2003, Direct Source) New SS Sealed US $6.00 [0 bids]
Hans Bakker: The Unnamed Source US $3.51 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Swinging at # 1 (CD, Jan-2001, Direct Source) US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
GEMMA HAYES ~ BACK OF MY HAND ~ 2002 UK 1 TRACK PROMO CD ~ SOURCE SOURCDJ063 US $5.93 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Forest Dreams (CD, Jul-2000, 2 Discs, Direct Source) The Northstar Orchestra US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Creative Source Migration 45 M- HEAR '74 Funk Soul DJ Promo Sussex SR-632 US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 11m
Premiers Symptomes by Air (France) (CD, Sep-1999, Source UK (UK)) US $1.50 [0 bids]
KING PLEASURE: The Source (jazz vinyl LP) US $30.00 Buy It Now 4h 40m
ROOT SOURCE - FIREWALKER NEW CD US $18.60 Buy It Now 4h 41m
CD - The Source Hip-Hop Music Awards 2001 [PA] by Various Artists US $0.50 [0 bids]
BOB DYLAN Bringing It All Back Home CD 1965 REMASTERED From Original Source Tape US $5.87 Buy It Now 4h 51m
Romantica by Various Artists (CD, Jul-2000, Direct Source) US $6.45 [0 bids]
Christmas Swing [Direct Source] (CD, Sep-2001, Direct Source) US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Soulful Christmas [Direct Source] by Various Artists (CD, 2007, 3 Discs, Dire... US $6.45 [0 bids]
Main Source,cassette single,fakin' the funk US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Creative Source SUSSEX 632 Migration and I Just Can't See Myself Without You US $4.50 Buy It Now 5h 29m
NEW sealed Celtic Spring At The Source CD US $69.69 Buy It Now 5h 42m
DINNER PARTY JAZZ by Various Artists (CD, May-2001, 2 Discs, Direct Source) US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 6m
Golden Legends by B.B. King (CD, Jan-1999, Direct Source) US $5.00 [0 bids]
THE SOURCE Building Bridges LP Record 1985 RARE US $18.40 Buy It Now 6h 56m
The Source Presents: Hip Hop Hits [PA] (CD, Dec-1997, Polygram (Japan)) US $3.99 Buy It Now 6h 58m
Party Mix [Direct Source] (CD, Jan-2003, Direct Source) US $1.10 Buy It Now 7h
Classic Rock: Hits of 1961 by Various Artists (CD, 1999, Direct Source) US $1.99 [0 bids]
RHYTHM SOURCE - Love Shine - HOUSE 12 US $8.99 Buy It Now 7h 21m
Sexy Soul: R&B Soul (CD, Sep-2005, Direct Source) US $3.99 [0 bids]
Decca SXL 2044 Audiophile! Maag - Chopin:Sylphides Delibes La Source EX+/VG+ US $149.99 [0 bids]
Air : Moon Safari CD (1998) source import US $1.00 [1 bids]
Wishbone Ash CD Live in Concert (CD, 2005, Direct Source) US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Source Presents: Hip Hop Hits, Volume 4 [PA] Various (CD, 2000 ) US $5.99 Buy It Now 8h 14m
The Source Presents Hip Hop Hits 10 (Explicit) CD US $5.24 Buy It Now 8h 14m
RARE - The Source by Kendrick Scott Oracle (CD, 2007) 11 Tracks US $17.99 Buy It Now 8h 15m
Source by Feel Love Fury (CD) US $0.99 Buy It Now 8h 37m
EPMD, Boogie Down Productions, NWA, Biz Markie, Main Source - U.S. cd - RARE! US $11.23 Buy It Now 8h 46m
HOKUSAI BLACK ROSE EP VINYL SOURCE DIRECT SDR 006 APHEX TWIN ID US $9.99 [0 bids]
Big Band # 1 Hits [Direct Source 2] by Various Artists (CD, Aug-2005, Direct... US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 36m
Premiers Symptomes by Air (France) (CD, Aug-1999, Source UK (UK)) US $2.99 [0 bids]
Classics: Chopin (CD, Jul-2000, Direct Source) US $10.00 [0 bids]
Dizzy Gillespie-Closer To The Source-LP-Atlantic-81646 1-Near Mint-Vinyl Record US $4.99 [0 bids]
Dizzy Gillespie-Closer To The Source-LP-Atlantic-81646 1-Near Mint-Vinyl Record US $6.79 [0 bids]
Source Direct Exorcise The Demons RARE PROMO CD 1999 Drum & Bass Jungle US $4.49 Buy It Now 10h 55m
Natchez Retour a La Source CD US $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Country Stars & Stripes by Willie Nelson (CD, Mar-2001, Direct Source) US $4.00 Buy It Now 11h 20m
Jazz - From the Vaults (Direct Source Records) 4 CD box set US $10.00 Buy It Now 11h 24m
SOURCE OF GRAVITY ~ Metallic Groove / Deception 12" EXC US $19.89 Buy It Now 11h 42m
The Coasters--Doo Wop (CD, 2001, Direct Source) NEW US $5.99 Buy It Now 12h 28m
18 Greatest by Patsy Cline (CD, 2006, Direct Source) US $3.70 Buy It Now 12h 35m
Osamu Kitajima The Source FM # 42239 Promo US $7.50 Buy It Now 12h 40m
Steve Barta - Moments in Movement CD 1992 9 songs ltd numbered edition Source US $3.99 Buy It Now 13h 2m
Tonight's African Jazz Band by The Source (Norway/Jazz) (CD, May-2009,... US $9.99 [0 bids]
Patsy Cline--Country Spotlight (CD, 1999, Direct Source) NEW US $4.99 Buy It Now 14h 8m
Christmas Carols by Mistletoe Choir/Cedarmont Kids (CD, Aug-2002, Direct Source) US $3.94 Buy It Now 15h 6m
OSAMU KITAJIMA - THE SOURCE - 1986 JAPAN CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 15h 16m
A Step Beyond by Willie Nelson. CD ONLY. (1998, Direct Source) US $3.49 Buy It Now 16h 27m
BAD BEHAVIOUR-FIND THE SOURCE DAMASCUS DANSE-1995-DRUM & BASS / JUNGLE US $12.69 Buy It Now 18h 47m
JIMMY SCOTT-THE SOURCE-JAPAN CD B50 US $14.50 Buy It Now 19h 2m
Source Presents Hip Hop Hits Vol 8 Clean Edited Various Artists NEW SEALED CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 19h 29m
Source Presents : Vol. 8-Hip Hop Hits CD (2004) US $3.25 Buy It Now 19h 35m
Various : Source Hip Hop Hits 10 CD (2005) US $4.00 Buy It Now 19h 36m
Sensation - Source Of Light - Various (NEW CD) US $29.21 Buy It Now 19h 50m
Ital - Higher Source [CD New] US $19.67 Buy It Now 20h 17m
ROTTERDAM TERMINATION SOURCE-POING-1992-HARDCORE / RAVE US $10.15 Buy It Now 20h 30m
ROTTERDAM TERMINATION SOURCE-POING-1992-OLDSKOOL-HARDCORE-RAVE-GABBER US $7.91 Buy It Now 20h 30m
SOURCE -CONNECTIONS 1 * 2 * 3-1996-OLDSKOOL DNB/JUNGLE US $10.56 Buy It Now 20h 41m
SOURCE-SANCTUARY OF LOVE-OLDSKOOL/RETRO/HOUSE @LISTEN@ US $33.54 Buy It Now 20h 41m
ALEX GOPHER child CD 3 track search's under the moon mix b/w source direct mix a US $8.46 Buy It Now 20h 56m
80's Backtrack by Various Artists (CD, 2003, Direct Source) US $1.19 [0 bids]
80's Party by Various Artists (CD, 2003, Direct Source) US $1.29 [0 bids]
Party Mix [Direct Source] by Various Artists (CD, 2003, Direct Source) US $1.19 [0 bids]
The Littlest Christmas Tree by Various Artists (CD, Direct Source) US $1.19 [0 bids]
Ali Farka Toure- The Source-Press Kit US $6.99 Buy It Now 21h 43m
Remember When by Various Artists (CD, Direct Source) US $2.00 Buy It Now 22h 22m
Kissing Classics, Vol. 2 (CD, May-2001, Direct Source) US $0.01 [0 bids]
REDNECK CHRISTMAS PARTY 3CD'S PACK, DIRECT SOURCE US $5.49 Buy It Now 22h 29m
A CHRISTMAS SONGBOOK TREASURES 3CD'S PACK METAL TIN, DIRECT SOURCE 2004 US $7.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
NOS CHRISTMAS SONGBOOK 3CD BOX SET DIRECT SOURCE 2008, BING CROSBY, COMO US $7.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
CHRISTMAS FOR KIDS 3CD'S PACK, LYRICS INCLUDED, DIRECT SOURCE US $4.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
L'CHAIM! SONGS FOR JEWISH CELEBRATION 3CD'S PACK METAL TIN, DIRECT SOURCE 2004 US $8.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
NOS HOMEMADE HOLIDAY 3CD BOX SET WITH REMOVABLE CRAFT BOOK, DIRECT SOURCE 2006 US $7.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
DOWNTIME:MUSIC FOR RELAXING 3CD 1 DVD BOX SET,MIND BODY SPIRT DIRECT SOURCE 2007 US $6.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
HANDEL'S MESSIAH HOLIDAY TREASURES 3CD'S PACK METAL TIN, DIRECT SOURCE 2004 US $7.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
NOS BEST OF THE HOLIDAYS, CHRISTMAS CLASSICS 3CD BOX SET DIRECT SOURCE 2008 US $7.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
4CD 48 TRACKS, SEXY SOUL, AFTER HOURS SOUL BRAND NEW SETS, DIRECT SOURCE 2002 US $6.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
A CHRISTMAS PARTY 3CD'S PACK IN METAL TIN, DIRECT SOURCE FROM 2004 US $7.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
NOS SWINGIN CHRISTMAS 3CD BOX SET DIRECT SOURCE 2008 GLENN MILLER, BENNY GOODMAN US $7.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
BE MERRY 3CD CHRISTMAS COLLECTION WITH REMOVABLE JOURNAL, DIRECT SOURCE 2006 US $7.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
HOLIDAY ENTERTAINING CHRISTMAS 3CD'S PACK IN METAL TIN, DIRECT SOURCE FROM 2005 US $7.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
NOS 101 CHRISTMAS FAVORITES 3CD BOX SET DIRECT SOURCE 2008 US $7.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
CHRISTMAS PARTY TIME 3CD'S PACK, DIRECT SOURCE US $4.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
4CD 46 TRACKS, MASTERS OF COUNTRY,NELSON,CASH,JONES&HAGGARD, DIRECT SOURCE 2006 US $8.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
SOUNDS OF THE SEASON HOLIDAY TREASURES 3CD'S PACK METAL TIN, DIRECT SOURCE 2005 US $7.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
Hot Summer Hits * by Island Jam Band (CD, 2006, Direct Source) US $0.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE SOURCE music online Buy THE SOURCE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE SOURCE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE SOURCE Prickly Pear ratings distribution

THE SOURCE Prickly Pear reviews

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
4 stars Second album from the Los Angeles based band THE SOURCE. It took three years to present the follower and the sound has evolved unmistakably. 'Prickly Pear' holds five songs which are provided with a quite complex structure but also presented in a special relaxed mood, symphonic oriented, spiked with some references to wellknown prog dinosaurs too. Especially Harrison Leonard's guitar is partially showing a stylistical conformity with Steve Howe. The band is provided with a new bass player as for a major change. But former member Nico Photos was responsible for the album art work at least and he has contributed to the initial song writing before the decision occured to quit the collaboration.

The Promised Land is only reachable when using a road consisting of many curves and turns. Aaron Goldich's keyboards are leading the band with safety though. This is an interesting diversified track by all means reaching the ten minute mark - even coming near to the typical YES style sometimes. The vocals are nicely mellow - the whole music sounds very harmonic. Surprisingly this song is faded out just reaching for Star Dreamer which is somewhat dreamy indeed where Goldich concentrates on electric piano with a jazzy note and you can enjoy a nice guitar solo excursion by Leonard. Thin Air appears mysteriously to me a little bit because bordering some rare heavy rocking moments but also 60's similar vocals reminding of the Beatles. This is amazingly blended in a successful manner.

Until Morning Time comes up like a mini symphony with changes and surprises en masse where I first thought: this is overproduced unhappily. But now after listening to the album during a longer period it doesn't take effect anymore - on the contrary - I would say this song is the album's highlight ... if not ... Castles In The Sky in active competition is probably a bit more catchy presented like an extended ballad. Here we have an impressing start with excellent bass contribution - lots of acoustic and electric guitars afterwards, funfair organ, convincing polyphonic vocals.

If you are already familiar with bands like IZZ, Big Big Train, Salem Hill, Spock's Beard and like this stuff you will act in the right way when deciding to explore this album. The band delivers high quality. Not adapted for easy background listening - I could listen for another couple of times and surely would detect some new impressions. Take enough time to explore - as many others it needs space to unfold. Listeners of cultivated prog music with retro references to the 70s should pay attention.

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#212328) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 24, 2009

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Great Source!

Once again, thanks to a site like this we can discover to some new acts that are meaning to keep prog rock alive, if we turn to any side of the globe we will find some young bands trying to put their grain of sand and leave a mark on this realm, some of them fail, some of them have success, but the beauty of this is that there is always prog rock. Now, and thanks to Uwe I could listen to this young band that come from the United States called The Source, who had released one album previously, which sadly I have not listened yet, but this year they came up with their second record called "Prickly Pear" which contains 5 songs and a total time of 49 minutes, so a song average of almost 10 minutes.

The album kicks off with "Promised Land" song that caught my attention since the very first notes due to it's dense and complex musical style, the guitars and keyboards take the leadership, and after a couple of minutes the song slows down and vocals enter, and during it's 10 minutes we will find several little changes, the song is very rich, and in moments causes a sensation of happiness, there are great moments here full of complexity like in minute 7 when it turns a bit faster, and despite being a new band, their style takes some older style, I mean kind of retro prog.

"Star Dreamer", has a dreamy feeling indeed, with a soft and calm harmony and some mellow vocals, this is one of the shorter songs on this album, but it also have it's little changes and it's complexity, in some moments it may turn to a catchy and poppier song, but it is good anyways.

"Until Morning Time" is another of the epics on this album, and that retro prog feeling returns here mainly due to the keyboard sound and guitars, that sometimes remind me a bit to Yes, I can imagine Howe was an influence to The Source guitar player. Being a long song, it is obvious that here we will find several changes, all of them following a proper style that will take you to one short moment to another, at the half of the song a piano enters and gives a radical change to the melody, but again in some moments I reminds me to Yes, very nice song.

"Thin Air" is the other shorter song on the album, and begins again with a soft sound along with the melodic vocals, suddenly some heavier guitar appears, there are also some backing vocals there and a kind of funky guitar later, at the middle of the song drums and a nice piano sound appear creating a cool song.

"Castles in the Sky" is the last song of this album and it is the longest track reaching 15 minutes, the start is a bit slow but it is growing and progressing of course, there are some background organ over there , good guitar notes and after a couple of minutes it makes a stop in order to return with acoustic guitar and then vocals, after all the song remains very calm in moments it actually sounds kind of a ballad, but then there is another change with a guitar riff, I like a lot epic songs, and normally I put them as the best songs on the albums, this time it does not happen, this is a nice epic but that's it, there are better tracks on Prickly Pear, I believe this track would be better if they cut some redundant moments.

After all, it is a very nice album, with some symphonic moments but I believe this is a clear example of the so called "Crossover Prog". Claps for the band and keep the great work. My final grade is 3 stars.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#213191) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 01, 2009

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
5 stars The most intriguing album today. To be complete, I have to say that this is also my first album to review today. And to say the terrible truth, this is also first to hear this rainy day. But it sounded good at the first time.

Anyway, except joking mood, I have to say that this is one of these albums, where you know you've fell in love on first sight. Transformed to prog perspective of course "heard", but pattern is the same. Not just after one minute, but I was hooked after first seconds and during whole album. Goal almost unable to accomplish, to attract you through entire what, 45 minutes ? Impossible may some say, but this music is both melodic (I suspect them to use some well known melodies under veil of prog complexity).

When listening these songs, I feel like very depth of my heart is touched. Harmony element is beyond maximum level on scale, it's far more than what you're used to listen (I suppose), almost spooky, how well it all goes.

5(+) Time will show if this decision is right. But I feel it like that.

EDIT: Time prove my decision right, I still admire every (fuc_in) aspect of this music. And it is really hard to catch my attention with every sound here, believe me.

Another thing. It revokes my childhood melodies, long lost melody fragments (beginning of Star Dreamer for example and then all over the song till the end). Or Until Morning Time which again, is almost forcing me to close my eyes and dream. I've never encountered so strong feeling as ones shining from this album. It is so dense and trying to get attention (rightly) that I'm surprised how anybody can feel not affected. Because this is good thing about prog, when you know it's good music (no good, perfect, masterpiece like music), you can flow away and surrender yourself to music, to enjoy it completely and without any limitation. And you know that you're doing right thing. And amongst these promising elements, the most charming one would be vocal part.

Thrilling album.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#247844) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 02, 2009

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Second release of this discret and unknown band released in 2009 named Prickly pear is also a worthy affair in symphonic prog realm. This time, at least for me the album sounds little melower and softer then previous one, maybe because the guitar parts and overall instrumental sections are not so evident. The best pieces to me are Until Morning Time and Promised Land, a decent towards great tunes with excellent song writting and good performance, the rest are also ok. I like this band and I like both albums, with a plus on their first one, to me their best from the two. The Source must be discovered for sure by many prog listeners. 3 stars for sure.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#928119) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 11, 2013

3 stars The Source is a young progressive rock band based out of Los Angeles. Prickly Pear is their sophomore album and shows development within the band from their first release. I regard them and Moon Safari as great new, young, fresh progressive acts amongst a lot of older, more established bands. ... (read more)

Report this review (#225144) | Posted by natewait | Wednesday, July 08, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE SOURCE "Prickly Pear"