BEYOND STANDARD

Hiromi Uehara

Hiromi Uehara Beyond Standard album cover

Buy HIROMI UEHARA Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Intro: Softly As In A Morning Sunrise (0:28)
2. Softly As In A Morning Sunrise (7:29)
3. Clair De Lune (7:25)
4. Caravan (8:49)
5. Ue Wo Muite Aruko (8:42)
6. My Favorite Things (7:48)
7. Led Boots (6:33)
8. XYG (6:32)
9. I've Got Rhythm (5:51)

Search HIROMI UEHARA Beyond Standard lyrics

Search HIROMI UEHARA Beyond Standard tabs

Hiromi Uehara / Piano, Keyboards
David Fiuczynski / Fretted and Fretless Guitar
Tony Grey / Bass
Martin Valihora / Drums

Telarc

Thanks to Evolutionary_Sleeper for the addition

HIROMI UEHARA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy HIROMI UEHARA Beyond Standard Music

Beyond StandardBeyond Standard
Super Audio CD - DSD · Import
Imports 2008
HIROMI UEHARA: THE TRIO PROJECT-ALIVE: LIMITED EDITION-JAPAN SHM-CD+DVD H40 zd US $35.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Hiromi Uehara / Alive - JAPAN SHM-CD PROMO SS US $10.50 [2 bids]
HIROMI UEHARA-PLACE TO BE-JAPAN SHM-SACD LTD K25 US $45.50 Buy It Now 3 days
HIROMI UEHARA- FIRST FIVE YEARS- JAPAN 5SHM- CD+DVD BOXSET BONUSTRACK US $156.05 Buy It Now 3 days
HIROMI UEHARA-FIRST FIVE YEARS-JAPAN 5 SHM-CD+DVD BOX SET BONUS TRACK LtdEd AE50 US $139.50 Buy It Now 4 days
Place To Be - Hiromi Uehara (2012, SACD New) US $47.45 Buy It Now 5 days
Hiromi Uehara - Place To Be [SACD New] US $48.49 Buy It Now 5 days
HIROMI UEHARA - PLACE TO BE (IMPORT) NEW SACD US $86.34 Buy It Now 5 days
New Chick Corea & Hiromi Uehara Duet UCBO-9001 Japan Import Free Shipping :359 US $163.03 Buy It Now 6 days
HIROMI UEHARA: THE TRIO PROJECT-VOICE: LIMITED EDITION-JAPAN PLATINUM SHM-CD H66 US $35.50 Buy It Now 6 days
HIROMI UEHARA: THE TRIO PROJECT-ALIVE: LIMITED EDITION-JAPAN PLATINUM SHM-CD H66 US $35.50 Buy It Now 6 days
HIROMI UEHARA: THE TRIO PROJECT-ALIVE: NORMAL EDITION-JAPAN SHM-CD F83 US $28.50 Buy It Now 6 days
HIROMI UEHARA: THE TRIO PROJECT-MOVE: LIMITED EDITION-JAPAN PLATINUM SHM-CD H66 US $35.50 Buy It Now 6 days
HIROMI UEHARA the trio project Live in Marciac DVD 2012 US $98.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Duet by Chick Corea/Hiromi/Hiromi Uehara *New CD* US $15.79 Buy It Now 15 days
CHICK COREA/HIROMI U - DUET [CHICK COREA/HIROMI UEHARA] [CD - NEW CD BOXSET US $15.56 Buy It Now 16 days
Hiromi Uehara: Hiromi Live in Concert 0089408369896, DVD REGION 1, BRAND NEW US $27.02 Buy It Now 17 days
Place to Be by Hiromi Uehara (CD, Sep-2012, Universal Japan) US $45.57 Buy It Now 19 days
HIROMI UEHARA PLACE TO BE ADVANCE PROMO JAZZ PIANO 2009 12 TRACKS EX CD US $49.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Hiromi Uehara: Hiromi Live at Marciac 0888072341128, DVD REGION 2, BRAND NEW US $24.84 Buy It Now 22 days
Hiromi Uehara: Hiromi Solo - Live at Blue Note, New York 0888072328662, DVD, NEW US $26.58 Buy It Now 26 days
HIROMI UEHARA: THE TRIO PROJECT-ALIVE: LIMITED EDITION-JAPAN SHM-CD+DVD H40 US $49.86 Buy It Now 27 days

More places to buy HIROMI UEHARA music online Buy HIROMI UEHARA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for HIROMI UEHARA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

HIROMI UEHARA Beyond Standard ratings distribution

HIROMI UEHARA Beyond Standard reviews

Review by ProgressiveAttic
COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars

Hiromi has never been closer to Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return to Forever before this album, ironically this is achieved through re-workings of classic jazz standards (obviously excluding Jeff Beck's Led Boots and Hiromi's own XYG). The album's name is very representative of the content, the standards are taken to new frontiers beyond anything that the original composers thought possible.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't enjoy this effort as much as I did with her early works. First of all, the rhythm section is as competent and talented as the original one, as I said on a previous review: musicians would kill for such backing band, but I think I like better the previous' approach to the music. Added to that I am not too keen to Fiuczynski's guitar playing style... maybe too weird (but on the other hand I do enjoy weird music and experimental playing). At the end this is a matter of taste.

Enough of what I dislike.... Now to the ups, which are more abundant than the downs. I've always been a huge fan of percussive piano playing of the likes of Chick Corea, Keith Tippett and Keith Emerson, so this is piano heaven for me. Hiromi's tasteful acoustic approach to fusion with small reliance on synths is highly enjoyable and refreshing, this combined with crazy electric guitars produces a very interesting avant-garde sound. Another thing I enjoyed is how the album is introduced by presenting the contrast between the original versions and Hiromi's fusion renditions with a mono short version of Softly As In A Morning Sunrise as a prelude to the re-worked version of the piece in a pristine stereo sound quality.

The last three tracks of the album are quite different from the rest. Beck's Led Boots isn't really radically different from the original, although it receives a nice Hiromi/Fiuczynski electronic treatment. XYG is another fusion track and the only complete Hiromi original in the album, originally released as the opening track of her debut (Another Mind) under the name XYZ, this time the composition features Fiuczynski's strange guitar playing and I must say that, although I enjoyed this version, I still prefer XYZ (great piano performance here, by the way). I've Got Rhythm closes the album masterfully with Hiromi playing solo an acoustic piano, really breath-taking (I won't describe it here, you'll have to listen to this yourself).

This album features some of the meanest, fastest, more technical, innovative and imaginative piano/keyboard playing I've ever witnessed. And the sound quality couldn't be better.

Do not expect a standards album because you are not going to get anything like it. These are electric re-workings of (mostly) well known jazz standards, which at the end are almost unrecognizable anyways. The highlights of the album are Hiromi's solo piano parts, the bass, the masterful drumming and, if you enjoy this kind of things, Fiuczynski's guitar.

Not a masterpiece, at least for me (although I understand the reasons of someone considering this 5 star material), and a must for every fusion lover out there. Not recommended for the fainthearted. 4 stars for this amazing fusion piece of work.

Send comments to ProgressiveAttic (BETA) | Report this review (#269604) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 04, 2010

5 stars Her previous album, Time Control, and this one, Beyond Standard, have been made under her Jazz Rock/Fusion band, Hiromi's Sonicbloom. The only big difference this time, except for 1 song, she didn't write the music but, like the title of the album say's, it's Jazz standard, but played version Hiromi ... (read more)

Report this review (#1256815) | Posted by Fido73 | Saturday, August 23, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of HIROMI UEHARA "Beyond Standard"