VOL I & VOL II

Kontrast Vol I & Vol II album cover

Buy KONTRAST Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

Volume I
1. Suite For The Young Girl (25:24)
2. Trip (11:56)
3. Opus Dope Us (7:58)
4. Let's Fetz (2:37)

Bonus tracks (recorded from 1983-85 and mastered 1986, 2004-7 by Remigius Drechsler)

Volume II
5. Little Solitude (0:40)
6. Hip Me (2:19)
7. Order (8:07)
8. Good Wax Home (7:08)
9. Race To Heaven (10:55)

Search KONTRAST Vol I & Vol II lyrics

Search KONTRAST Vol I & Vol II tabs

Ingo Schmid-Neuhaus / alto saxophone (1,3,4,7-9), electric piano (3,4,7-9),maracas, cow bell (8)
Marika Schmid-Falk / vocals (3,8), percussion, vibraphone (3), gan gan (7), cuica (8)
Remigius Drechsler / acoustic bass (1-4,6-9), darbouka (1-4,6,9), guitar (2,6), marimba, vibraphone, recorder (2), percussion (1,2,6,8,9), psaltery, horn (9), whistling, water (with Elise) (5)
Richard Netusil / special guitar (1,4,9), hand drum (1,3,4), log drums (6)
Christian Bńck / soprano saxophone (3,4,9), alto saxophone, vocal (6)
Paul Smyth / words (1,7,9)
Moran / flute (1,4,7,8), vocal (1,8), signal horn (6), cymbals (8)

Cosmic Egg UTCE 003

Reissue of ex Out Of Focus LP project(1986), plus 29'21" unreleased bonus material.

KONTRAST MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KONTRAST Vol I & Vol II Music

Vision Und TraditionVision Und Tradition
Danse Macabre 2008
Zukunft/Ende (1982) / Vinyl single [Vinyl-Single 7'']Zukunft/Ende (1982) / Vinyl single [Vinyl-Single 7'']
Vinyl$5.99 (used)
1.51.5
CD Baby 2005
Vol. 2-X.PressifVol. 2-X.Pressif
Imports 2007

More places to buy KONTRAST music online Buy KONTRAST & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KONTRAST DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KONTRAST Vol I & Vol II ratings distribution

KONTRAST Vol I & Vol II reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars One of the most surprising (or should I say unexpected, given its birthdate well into the 80's) Krautrock albums ever, Kontrast is well in the tradition of Embryo, Xohl, Annexus Quam or Dzyann and Out of Focus. Although this last name might be a bit of a surprise (sonically different than the previous names I mentioned), Kontrast is tightly linked with OOF since three of its members are involved in this project: guitarist Drechsler (who is the main man behind this project as he recorded and designed the album as well), saxman & keyboardist Schmid-Neuhaus and singer/flutist Moran Neumeier are

And you never thought that you'd hear a 25 minutes track recorded in 83 or 85, right?? Well guess again!! Kontrast's sole historical album is filled by the sidelong Suite For The Young Girl, one long musical expansion including traffic noises, elongated solos (never indulgent, though) feeling ethnic and psych at the same time. You could easily be in Embryo's Rache with this track. The 12-mins track of the opening flipside, called Trip is a Drechsler-only track, where he plays all of the instruments, and grosso modo, we're again in the same ethnic/psych realm of Embryo, filled with acoustic guitars, vibraphones, telephone ringing and squeaky toys. Even stranger is the 8-minutes Opus Dope Us, complete with dissonance from sax and guitars, door slams etc. The short Letz Fetz is as tight a group as it gets.

And not only did Cosmic Egg unearth a rare 80's gems, but the bonus tracks they include make it that they've un-earthed a second 80's gem, called Volume II. It is clearly in the lne of their first album and the ultra-short bruitage Little Solitude followed by the sax-filled Hip Me Order is a spoken text put to music (a bit like the Beat Poets some 30 years before then) and present some great stand-up bass, courtesy of Drechsler himself, while Moran plays flute and Ingo answers on sax: fantastic stuff even though in terms of repeated listens.. Because the fight over the phone bill is funny once or twice, but more??? Good Wax Home is a dissonant improv where the vibraphone links the other instruments together. This is the most difficult track on the album. Then comes the closing 11- mins Race To Heaven returns a bit to the Order track with spoken lyrics but soon heads for faraway lands of mist and mystery with tons of instrumental space that even bouts of bruitage can't stop us from reaching the skies accompanied with distant knell and waves.

As the ultra-small Ultima ThulÚ team continues its Krautrock support job; their Cosmic Egg label (bith books and Cds) is becoming important for the German movement. Indeed after the essential Never Too Late OOF album released in 99, after the GAM project a few tears after, now comes out out-of- nowhere (it had been announced almost a decade ago, but we weren't expecting it anymore) THE major 80's Krautrock album Kontrast with so much bonus material that it makes it almost a double album. So Cosmic Egg's third release is just as essential OOF 's posthumous Never Too Late album. Run out for this and help boost Ultima ThulÚ's confidence to unleash new Krautrock wonders like it has done so far.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#208815) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 26, 2009

4 stars KONTRAST was the project of former OUT OF FOCUS guitarist Remigius Drechsier, in fact there are two other former OUT OF FOCUS members on here as well. They released one album back in 1986 which is "Volume I" on this compilation, while "Volume II" is some unreleased tracks from the same era. I really commend this band for trying to keep the spirit of Krautrock alive in the eighties, although this was such an obscure release that few even heard about it.There is a lot of spoken words and experimental passages along with improvs where they seem to play without focus (haha). This is great though, like a modern take on what OUT OF FOCUS were doing back in the day mixed with an EMBRYO vibe. Some very trippy tracks where they jam endlessly along with a lot of humour in the spoken word bits.

"Volume I" begins with the 25 1/2 minute "Suite For A Young Girl".This is trippy with flute, bass, guitar, percussion and sax. Some samples open and close this track. A female scream 13 1/2 minutes that comes and goes possibly because she can't believe the song is still going on and on. Haha. A story is told at 19 1/2 minutes and it's funny like the line "I must admit I love the very idea of myself". A killer opener. "Trip" features a beat with vibes and picked guitar. Some samples too. After 5 1/2 minutes we get to listen to a brief story then the music returns. I love this one too. "Opus Dope Us" features lazy sax lines with vibes and a beat. Sound like clapping too. Some female vocal sounds that interplay with horns. "Let's Fetz" opens with laughing and yelling before a beat with horns comes in. "Volume II" opens with "Little Solitude" which is a brief soundscape of water sounds and whistling. "Hip Me" has some catchy sax melodies with percussion.

"Order" is another spoken word story with laid back music. This is a story about a 1,000 mark phone bill. Paul who wrote the lyrics here and on tracks 1 & 9 put a lot of thought and talent into the stories which may come off as silly but they are so well done. The idea behind the 1,000 mark phone bill is how a guy could trick a young female into building up this huge phone bill by talking to him, then forcing her into prostitution to pay it off. So yes it's darker than it appears. Thanks Remigius for that info. "Good Wax Home" has some humerous female vocal melodies as sax, keys and a beat come in.The sax gets pretty dissonant. "Race To Heaven" features spoken words with music.This song sounds great when he stops speaking.The music stops 9 1/2 minutes in as the sounds of waves end it.

This is a very interesting compilation and I have nothing but praise for the band in doing this in the eighties when it wasn't the popular thing to do. Easily 4 stars and something every Krautrock fan should check out.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#211667) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 18, 2009

Post a review of KONTRAST "Vol I & Vol II"