CONCERTO MAXIMO

- Nick Barrett / vocals, guitars
- Peter Gee / bass, keys, bass pedals
- Clive Nolan / keyboards
- Scott Higham / drums, percussion

Recorded at Teatr Slaski im. Stanislawa Wyspianskiego, Katowice, Poland, October 13th 2008 as a part of Pendragon 30th Anniversary Tour

2CD Metal Mind Productions mass cd 1262 dgd (2009, Poland, Limeted Edition of 1000 copies)

Thanks to wilcey for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

PENDRAGON MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PENDRAGON Concerto Maximo Music

CONCERTO MAXIMO (LTD. EDITION)CONCERTO MAXIMO (LTD. EDITION)
METAL MIN2 2009

More places to buy PENDRAGON music online Buy PENDRAGON & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PENDRAGON DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PENDRAGON Concerto Maximo ratings distribution

PENDRAGON Concerto Maximo reviews

Review by Gatot
3 stars Pendragon is one of the major forces in progressive rock scene especially in the second generation of progrock after punk and new wave hit the music industry in late 70s until early 80s. The root of its music is on the symphonic prog but in a simplified form or typically called as neo-progressive music. The key characteristic of bands in this subgenre is the heavy use of keyboard combined with guitar solo in the vein of Steve Hackett (Genesis) or David Gilmour (Pink Floyd). I remember vividly how I listened to their debut album 'The Jewel' (1985) for the first time after I was so deep in love with Marillion's first two albums 'Script for A Jester's Tear' (1983) and 'Fugazi' (1984). Yeah, talking about neoprogressive music we cannot neglect the existence of Marillion, Pallas and IQ because these four bands were born almost at the same time in early 80s. While the other three bands focused on the song orientated music with catchy tagline melody, Pendragon focused heavily on guitar solo in its interlude combined with the keyboard solo. Guitar and keyboard are the key ingredients of Pendragon music while (in my opinion) most of Pendragon's musical composition are lacking in 'catchy' melody. That's why I have never been a great fan of Pendragon compared to the other three especially Marillion ? Fish era.

It seemed like 2008 was a an important year for Pendragon in their musical career as they celebrated their 30th Anniversary, on the 13th October they played the Slaski Theatre in Katowice, Poland. It was titled as 'Pure Tour' to promote their new album released in the same year. Unfortunately only three tracks from the new album were played in that gig due to time limit for the band to do the rehearsal.

For me personally I was quite impressed with the fact that the gig was well performed and excellently recorded into CD and DVD version. By the time I am writing this I have not seen the DVD yet. I am quite impressed with this live CD and some songs that I actually do not favor quite well, they sound good here. To be more specific, I'd rather like disc one compared to disc 2 because some songs on disc2 are quite poppy and bit boring to my ears.

Overall, this live CD is quite good for those who like neoprog with stunning guitar solo by Barrett and keyboard solo by Nolan. Keep on proggin' ?!

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#224925) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars Like the good wine....They get better with age

Normally Prog bands have a long live (If they don't split because of their own ego), but usually they reach the peak soon and live of past glories, presenting excellent concerts with several changes in the lineup because clue members leave in pursue of a solo career.

This is not the case of PENGRAGON, since their second album they had a stable lineup, in 1996 (Something unusual with Clive Nolan working in so many bands and personal projects) they reach their peak with "Masquerade Overture" and when I believed everything was downhill, they kept the quality for 18 years more. In 2006 they release the good but uneven "Believe" and the next year their iconic drummer "Fudge Smith" leaves.

Again I thought the story was over, but they surprised in 2008 with the outstanding "Pure" and in 2009 with their definitive live album "Concerto Maximo", recorded in Poland for their 30 Anniversary.

Won't talk about the DVD, because it deserves a separate review, I'm here to write about the double CD. So let's start with the quality saying it's flawless, the selection of tracks has been done with care, presenting a balanced set with no weeks moments and representing their long and fertile career.

But the most important issue on a live album is the performance, incredibly this guys sound better as the years go by, Nick's voice is as peculiar as always, (you like it or not), but his guitar is simply impeccable, he has gained strength and accuracy, the best example of this can be found at "Masters of Illusion".

Clive Nolan makes one of his usual displays of quality with incredible solos and team work, being his best moments in the frenetic solo of "A Man with Nomadic Train", in which he plays in the best style of Rick Wakeman but with a modern sound, and of course the delicate Mellotron "A la Genesis" in the sweet and delightful "The King of the Castle".

Peter Gee, is strong and accurate, his best moment is in the closer "Queen of Hearts", but more important than his personal achievements is the interplay with the surprising "Scott Higham", who doesn't sound like the new kid in a band that has played for 3 decades, the guy is precise and extremely loud, what enhances the listening experience, the rhythm section works as if they had been together for decades and not only for a couple of years.

Not much more to say aboutt he tracks, because all are well known and reviewed repeatedly on the studio albums, so will go directly with the rating that has to be not lower than 4 stars.

If PENDRAGON keeps in this level, I'm sure we will listen from them for a long time, and this are good news.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#239690) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 16, 2009

5 stars Concert dvds are a mixed bag, I have several that have barely had a listen. A few years ago I purchased "Score" by Dream Theater and it got plenty of plays until I tired of the dying in hospital drug theme, which detracts a little from the emotional highs of their music. But now a concert to su ... (read more)

Report this review (#236236) | Posted by drg55 | Tuesday, September 01, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PENDRAGON "Concerto Maximo"