WEIRD TALES

Karda Estra

Karda Estra Weird Tales album cover

Buy KARDA ESTRA Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

1. The Whitstable Host (3:48)
2. Skulls In The Stars (7:15)
3. The Eye Of Silence (4:00)
4. Green Dog Trumpet (5:19)
5. The White Rose (4:57)
6. The Atom Age Sense Of Impermanence (5:23)
7. Island Universes (3:51)
8. There Is No Finished World (8:05)

Search KARDA ESTRA Weird Tales lyrics

Search KARDA ESTRA Weird Tales tabs

- Richard Wileman / classical, electric and bass guitars, keyboards, bouzouki, percussion, rastrophone

Guest musicians:
- Ileesha Bailey / vocals (1, 2 & 6)
- Helen Dearnley / violin (1, 2, 6 & 8)
- Don Falcone / organs, synthesizers arpeggios (3)
- Caron Hansford / oboe (3, 4, 5 & 6), cor anglais (3, 4, 5 & 7)
- Amy Hedges / clarinet (1 - 8), tenor saxophone (5)
- ZoŽ Josey / flute (5, 7 & 8) , alto saxophone (5), soprano saxophone (8)
- Jemima Palfreyman / tuba (1 & 4)
- Bridget Wishart / EWI wind synthesiser (3)

Cyclops Records, CYCL 171

Thanks to avestin for the addition
and to proglucky for the last updates

KARDA ESTRA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KARDA ESTRA Weird Tales Music

Cyclops 2008
Alternate HistoryAlternate History
Weird TalesWeird Tales
Cyclops Records

More places to buy KARDA ESTRA music online Buy KARDA ESTRA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KARDA ESTRA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KARDA ESTRA Weird Tales ratings distribution

KARDA ESTRA Weird Tales reviews

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars Terrifying and strikingly so, Karda Estra weaves a harrowing tapestry of sound throughout- this journey is not for the fainthearted, and amazingly, this mood is achieved compositionally and not through onerous techniques (like growling vocals, for instance). Overall the music is adventurous and generally on the dark side, with bright respites arising from time to time. What also helps is the hearty presence of the clarinet, by far my favorite woodwind instrument. Oftentimes the music evokes the thought of gangsters during prohibition- I am not entirely sure why. The biggest drawback is the absence of any rock element; this album consists of what I could best describe as avant-symphonic music, and extremely good for that.

"The Whitstable Host" Ominous and melodic, the opening piece is almost cinematic in its effect, but eschews rock sensibilities throughout its duration.

"Skulls in the Stars" Spine-chilling disharmonies involving acoustic guitar, strings, organ, and a host of other instruments make for an unsettling listening experience. Haunting violin and vocals shift through from time to time, adding to the uneasiness.

"The Eye of Silence" This one involves a brooding piano and a dissonant accompaniment.

"Green Dog Trumpet" This piece reminds me of certain scenes from old cartoons, like Looney Tunes, during which a villainous character was plotting; one can almost hear the maniacal laughter of some sinister schemer.

"The White Rose" Mild acoustic guitar lays out a foundation for gorgeous woodwind- a stunning piece.

"The Atom Age Sense of Impermanence" The artist juxtaposes delicate choral passages with disquieting fare.

"Island Universes" Gorgeous clarinet and English horn produce a compellingly graceful piece of music.

"There Is No Finished World" The final and lengthiest piece depends heavily on strings, guitar, and piano. It is, unfortunately, my least favorite work on the album, largely due to the dull, monotonous arrangement and the screeching noises that ensure part way in.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#253189) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 27, 2009

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Hi Epignosis, I'm glad you liked this album. Strange thing in my understanding of this album is that I know that it's disharmonic & not for faint hearted, yet I find it extremely harmonic (harmony in disharmony?) and I know that I'm not big friend with certain horror genres, like Death Metal, yet I love this silent madness atmosphere of "Weird Tales", so let's say: it is Weird, isn't it ? All these silent, sinister melodies, tender, but somehow strong violin themes in horrors, these sax and accompanied synthesizers instruments creates something ethereal. I heard such "different" sound last when listening to motW 2009 release.

Expect no rocking here, also you have to be extremely concentrated and if possible then fully refreshed to survive through this, because otherwise, you may miss little elements that make it interesting. Headphones listening recommended. However, I sometimes listen this when tired, just because I can't handle anything more "rough", but during these states of mind and body, it's not so full experience. Somehow like demo of what you'll otherwise heard and experience.

4(+), maybe more, depends on your current mood. Could be quite hard to get into for some I suppose, but for me, easy as ... something easy.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#266675) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Review by TheGazzardian
4 stars Epignosis' description of this album as avant-symphonic is actually a rather good one. For sure, it strays far from the normal bounds of Symphonic Prog, and from rock in general, with acoustic guitar being the only instrument here that could be considered a rock instrument.

The two words I would pick to describe this album, however, are "hauntingly beautiful". The compositions are all instrumental with the occasional wordless vocals which play the role of just another instrument. They have dark undertones, but they are counteracted by the delicacy and fragility of the music.

Woodwinds are definitely the dominant instrument on this album, which gives it a truly unique texture in the field of Symphonic prog, which is often dominated by keyboards and guitars - so be prepared for something a little bit different. Here the music is measured (not a lot of fast sections), dynamic (it never gets loud in the way rock does, but through clever uses of instruments and contrast it can sound very loud at some points), and atmospheric.

I've listened to a couple other Karda Estra albums, and so far this is my favorite by them, mostly because the darker tones to the music give it a bit more characteristic than the other ones I have heard.

Send comments to TheGazzardian (BETA) | Report this review (#297320) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 03, 2010

Review by memowakeman
4 stars Once again, a brilliant album!

And I said once again because Karda Estra have never let me down, I like all the albums I have listened so far, all are full of beautiful elements that give me worth listening moments. Now I am eagerly waiting for their upcoming album. Meanwhile, I can write some words for Richard Wileman's last child, entitled "Weird Tales" and released a couple of years ago (2009), an album that one who already know Karda Estra's music will love.

The album features eight compositions that make a total time of 42 minutes, all those tracks were inspired by different artistic things (or artists) such as paintings, stories, books, etc., this is explained in the CD booklet. "The Whistable Host" is the one that opens the album, it is also the shortest composition here. It has a beautiful but dramatic sound that put my nerves on. Seconds later the sound is gentler, but don't judge quickly, because it changes and changes, it is awesome how a three-minute piece can offer so many things, so many elements and textures.

"Skulls in the Stars" is a wonderful composition. I really love the omniscient sound of keyboards, as well as all the string elements. What karda Estra does is gathering together a vast amount of sounds, instruments and colors that form a strong front, a pillar, an original, brilliant and complete song, and I would say that they do the same thing for each and every of their songs and albums. If you like this kind of instrumental, symphonic, ethereal music, you will definitely love this band.

"The Eye of Silence" has a beautiful (clarinet or oboe?) sound that accompanies a nice piano and drums here and then. The sound is so delicate, it could work as a film score, I imagine parts of this song making the sound to a mute movie of the 30s. "Green Dog Trumpet" actually does the same to me as the previous track, I mean I can also put some movie images on my mind. I like the beauty and the tranquility that some passages can share, one of the things I enjoy more of Karda Estra is this capacity of making me feel comfortable.

"The White Rose" features a great acoustic guitar that interplays with some wind instruments. (Let me make a parenthesis here, this band does not have the rock element on their music, so don't expect anything loud and rocky, better open your ears for neo- classical and symphonic beauties.) Returning with the song, this is one wonderful composition that can please you since the first seconds, though it is slow, it caughts you and transports you to another place.

"The Atom Age Sense of Permanence" is my favorite track here. The backing female voices are very important in Karda Estra's music, not only in this album, they produce beautiful nuances and help adds an angelical sound, which of course, perfectly works with the instruments and the music composed.

"Island Universes" is a shorter piece, but once again, beautiful. I may be repetitive, but well, when you listen to them you will understand and appreciate its charm and delicate music that make you have a wonderful time. A piece of advice, this is the kind of music that you can listen while reading, literature and sound get on very well.

And last but not least, the longest composition, entitled "There is no Finished World" which is a complex and fully elaborated piece with several changes on mood and music. You can have a trip to several places and eras here, the combination of electronic guitar with acoustic instruments provoke a dark atmosphere, which contrasts with the peaceful and beauty produced in the majority of the moments, but at the same time, complete this wonderful track.

What a great album is Weird Tales, after Eve, this is so far my favorite. Please listen to Karda Estra, you will not regret. My final grade will be four stars.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#442109) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 02, 2011

4 stars A collection of excellent, intricately composed and, as usual, well-performed and recorded songs based upon themes from Gothic literature. Composer and mastermind Richard Wileman has again ping-ponged from the more positive, upbeat moods of his previous album, The Last of the Libertine, to the darke ... (read more)

Report this review (#458547) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Thursday, June 09, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KARDA ESTRA "Weird Tales"