SHADOW BORDER

Buy THE AURORA PROJECT Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

1. Human Gateway (7:37)
2. The Trial (6:55)
3. Photonic Reunion (4:34)
4. The Confession (5:39)
5. Another Dream (5:33)
6. Within the Realms (7:47)
7. Shadow Border (16:26)

- Rob Krijgsman / bass guitar
- Joris Bol / drums
- Marcel Guyt / keyboards & samples

The Laser's edge

Thanks to progrules for the addition

THE AURORA PROJECT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE AURORA PROJECT Shadow Border Music

Shadow BorderShadow Border
Laser's Edge 2009

More places to buy THE AURORA PROJECT music online Buy THE AURORA PROJECT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE AURORA PROJECT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE AURORA PROJECT Shadow Border ratings distribution

THE AURORA PROJECT Shadow Border reviews

3 stars 3.5 stars. THE AURORA PROJECT are from The Netherlands and have been making music for about 10 years now, this is their second studio record. I must admit I was really surprised to see them listed under Prog-Metal after spending a few days with this record as I thought this was more like Heavy-Prog or Heavy-Neo. ARENA came to mind quite often. Mind you I haven't heard the debut which may be more in the Metal style. Anyway this is a good album that i'm sure will be rated fairly highly on this site. The vocals are good but not great and they have an accent, while the music contrasts the heavy and lighter passages constantly.

"Human Gateway" sounds so good to open as the sound builds until it kicks in heavily after a minute. Unfortunately it settles and vocals come in. Heavier again after 3 1/2 minutes and some blistering guitar to end it. "The Trial" opens with synths and heaviness. Vocals before a minute. It settles then kicks back in. "Photonic Reunion" opens with waves of synths as reserved vocals join in. It gets heavier a minute in but then lighter a minute later. Themes are repeated.

"The Confession" is heavy to open but settles when the vocals come in. Contrasts continue. Nice guitar after 3 1/2 minutes. "Another Dream" is mellow with synths as reserved vocals join in. It's fuller sounding before 2 minutes. These odd spoken words come and go. "Within The Reality" is heavy to open but settles quickly (I know i'm like a broken record) as reserved vocals come in. Spoken words before 4 minutes and later to end it. "Shadow Border" is the almost 16 1/2 minute closer. More of those contrasts throughout although it gets really heavy duty 11 minutes in.

I would have liked this a lot more if the lighter passages were removed with the vocals. Still a good album.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#222573) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 22, 2009

Review by progrules
4 stars Only three ratings (of which one review) and an average of 3,17. No wonder this album (and band) doesn't get the attention it deserves. I have been waiting for this successor anxiously for several years because I got intrigued after their very fine debut and an impressive gig at Symforce in 2007. Shadow Border is an excellent follow up of the near excellent debut and I wil explain why.

Unspoken Words was already great at its best moments but this album contained too many spoken passages (interludes without music) and was diminished somewhat because of those. What I already liked then and like even much more on this successor is the performances of both an excellent guitarist (Remco van den Berg) and maybe even more impressive vocalist (Dennis Binnekade) and that's a surprise coming from me because I usually don't care to much for the vocal department. But Dennis creates the sound for this high quality band and it's a shame really that so few people take the chance to check them out. In this way Shadow Border becomes a hidden gem, hail to the hidden gem but I think Aurora Project would like to see their efforts get rewarded a bit more.

I sure do because I want justice and justice is only done when this album gets 100+ ratings on this site and a (very) high average. So come on. prog metal fans: what are you waiting for ? Quit this boycott and check it out and as I always say: if you don't it's your loss. Aurora Project plays ambient and high class prog metal that in style and quality comes close to Riverside. Okay, maybe they are not quite on that huge level yet but to be compared to this great Polish band is already a big compliment I would think. 4,25 stars for Shadow Border.

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#246292) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 26, 2009

Post a review of THE AURORA PROJECT "Shadow Border"