SANITY OBSCURE

Studio Album, released in 1990

1. Sanity Obscure (6:06)
2. Wisdom's Call (3:44)
3. Nonpoint (5:14)
4. Idols of Ignorance (4:39)
5. Stop the Madness (3:56)
6. Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) (5:41)
7. Dust to Dust (5:02)
8. Like a Song (U2 Cover) (3:27)

Search BELIEVER Sanity Obscure lyrics

Search BELIEVER Sanity Obscure tabs

- Kurt Bachman / guitars, vocals
- Dave Baddorf / guitars
- Wyatt Robertson / bass
- Joey Daub / drums

Guest musicians:
- Scott Laird - orchestral composition of "Dies Irae"
- Julianne Laird Hoge - soprano on "Dies Irae"

Released in 1990 by R.E.X. Records and in 1991 by Roadrunner Records.
Some versions of the album include song "I.Y.F." (non-LP bonus track).
Re-released in 2007 (Europe) and 2008 (USA) by Metal Mind Productions in
digipack format.

Thanks to UMUR for the addition

BELIEVER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BELIEVER Sanity Obscure Music

GabrielGabriel
Metal Blade 2009
TranshumanTranshuman
Metal Blade 2011
believer extraction from mortality pestilence sepultura sadus devastation US $39.99 [0 bids]
49m 55s
MILSAP ronnie/True Believer COUNTRY FOLK new cd US $7.88 [0 bids]
56m 13s
MILSAP ronnie/true believer COUNTRY FOLK new RARE cassette tape US $3.88 [0 bids]
56m 13s
MONKEES monkeys/I'm a believer DAVY JONES teen pop rock NEW CD US $7.88 [0 bids]
56m 13s
IRON BUTTERFLY - STONE BELIEVER / BUTTERFLY BLUE SINGLE UNIQUE DUTCH PRESSING US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 15m
B.B. King MIDNIGHT BELIEVER Vinyl LP 1978 *New/Sealed* MCA Records US $15.00 [0 bids]
King,B.B. - Midnight Believer/Take It Home [CD New] US $15.07 Buy It Now 2h 9m
The Believer's Warfare US $20.68 Buy It Now 2h 40m
The Monkees - Daydream Believer (The Platinum Collection, 2005) US $8.46 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Monkees - Daydream Believer-Platinum Collection [CD New] US $8.47 Buy It Now 3h 10m
MONKEES I'M A BELIEVER PICTURE SLEEVE WITH 45 NEAR MINT/NEAR MINT US $2.04 [2 bids]
Robert Wyatt - 'I'm A Believer' 7" Vinyl [Virgin VS-114] US $1.68 [0 bids]
DAVID SANBORN - BELIEVER - U.S. PROMO 12" VINYL US $4.98 Buy It Now 5h 5m
FINK Hard Believer 2014 UK 10-trk promo CD US $8.46 [0 bids]
I'm a Believer and Other Hits by Monkees (The) (CD, Jan-1999, Flashback Records) US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 14m
THE MONKEES DAYDREAM BELIEVER GERMAN 45 WITH PICTURE COVER VINYL 7 INCH US $15.23 Buy It Now 7h 9m
AMERICAN AUTHORS "BELIEVER" U.S. PROMO CD SINGLE acetate US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 13m
EMF/REEVES & MORTIMER-I'M A BELIEVER/+2 EP PARLOPHONE R6412 UK NM/NM 45+PS US $8.98 Buy It Now 7h 16m
BILL BRANDON: Stop This Merry-go-round / I'm A Believer Now 45 Soul US $20.00 Buy It Now 8h 4m
MONKEES THE Iīm believer 7" Spain 45 PS 1967 US $20.00 Buy It Now 8h 14m
SIGNED Jim Ed Brown & Helen Cornelius - Born Believer lp RCA APL1-2399 US $19.95 [0 bids]
THE MONKEES 7'' SINGLE, 1973, FLASHBACK, FLB 72 daydream believer/steppin stone US $2.99 Buy It Now 8h 49m
(DG171) The Poems, I Am A Believer - 2007 DJ CD US $4.15 Buy It Now 8h 55m
The Monkees Goin' Down Daydream Believer Picture Sleeve 45 Record Colgems Vtg US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 3m
TOMMY OVERSTREET I'M A BELIEVER ABC 1975 US $4.99 Buy It Now 9h 27m
THE MONKEYS - DAYDREAM BELIEVER COLLECTION...VOLUME 1 - CD US $5.63 Buy It Now 10h 19m
Vengeance Rising Human Sacrifice Original CD!! FFO: Believer, Extol US $7.77 [1 bids]
The Birds the Bees & the Monkees CD Rhino remastered album Daydream Believer NEW US $5.51 Buy It Now 10h 55m
Monkees Daydream Believer-Platinum Collection CD US $13.46 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Promise,CD,Believer US $4.99 Buy It Now 12h 9m
The MONKEES GREATEST HITS LP ALB68313 DAYDREAM BELIEVER R VG/EX C EX- (LP-4792) US $5.49 Buy It Now 12h 30m
The Monkees - I'm A Believer 45 w/PS US $0.01 [0 bids]
Johnny Cash - A Believer Sings the Truth - 2 Records - LP Album US $10.00 Buy It Now 13h 9m
The Dreamer/The Believer * by Common (Vinyl, Apr-2012, T.C.M.) LP US $10.99 Buy It Now 13h 31m
THE MONKEES 7" PS JAPAN DAYDREAM BELIEVER reissue r2000 US $4.99 Buy It Now 17h 37m
Jean Shepherd : I'm A Believer : Vinyl Album : United Artists : UAS 29946 US $11.51 Buy It Now 18h 59m
True Believer by Ronnie Milsap (CD, Jul-1993, Liberty (USA) US $5.99 Buy It Now 21h 23m
2 bb king 45s / make you cry / move too soon / midnight believer / love alone US $7.95 [0 bids]
COMMON-THE DREAMER, THE BELIEVER-JAPAN CD D95 US $22.99 Buy It Now 22h 19m
The Believer, Miller, Rhett, US $2.38 Buy It Now 22h 33m
THE MONKEES Goin' Down / Daydream Believer 1967 Colgems Records 661012 Vinyl 45  US $14.99 Buy It Now 22h 35m
CD I'm a Believer and Other Hits by The Monkees (CD, 1999, Flashback Records) US $6.95 [0 bids]
Believer (christmas Edition) NEW US $16.63 Buy It Now 23h 6m
PROMO WHITE LABEL / BILLY HARPER THE BELIEVER / WITH OBI BAYSTATE US $149.99 Buy It Now 23h 25m
Monkees-I'm A Believer and other hits US $2.99 [0 bids]
John Campbell - One Believer CD 1991 Elektra blues rock US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Rhett Miller : Believer [Australian Import] CD (2006) US $3.69 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees Daydream Believer Colgems 1012 US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Fun Fun ~ Double Fun LP The Monkees I'm A Believer & Spencer Davis Group Cover US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MONKEES Daydream Believer JAPAN Only 3 Tracks CD 1996 W/Obi RARE!! US $39.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GIANT I'm A Believer w/ RARE EDIT CD single 1989 USA MINT CD17872 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NEIL DIAMOND - DO IT - BANG LP - "SOLITARY MAN, I'M A BELIEVER"... US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MONKEES Then & Now: 25-Track Best Of CD Greatest Hits I'm A Believer US $2.49 [0 bids]
JESSE EVATTE - I'M A SPIRIT FILLED BELIEVER - DS-6318 (VINYL RECORD) US $29.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MONKEES - I'm A Believer / (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone - 1966 VG++ CANADA US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Believer by Rhett Miller (CD, Feb-2006, Verve) US $5.00 [0 bids]
Daydream Believer / Goin' Down The Monkees 45 RPM Colgems 66 - 1012 US $4.99 [0 bids]
B.B. King Lp Midnight Believer 1978 MCA records US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
The Real People Believer(PS) 7" Vinyl Single US $9.73 Buy It Now 1 day
For the Vagabond Believer (UK Import) CD US $4.98 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees Daydream Believer Excellent Condition W/Picture Sleeve 45 US $6.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Milsap, Ronnie, True Believer Audio CD US $6.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Tiger Hit Clips Micro Music Advanced DISC 2003 Smash Mouth I'm a Believer w Case US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Anne Murray: Daydream Believer / Do You Think Of Me 7" 45 VG++ Canada Capitol US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
(DK518) The Poems, I Am A Believer / Stupid Tango - 2007 DJ CD US $4.15 Buy It Now 1 day
LIONEL CARTWRIGHT - My Heart Is Set On You/True Believer 7" COUNTRY VINYL MCS US $6.66 Buy It Now 1 day
GIANT I'M A Believer 7" Ps US $8.46 Buy It Now 1 day
Anne Murray 45, Daydream believer/Broken hearted me US $0.99 [0 bids]
KNICKELSHOT - HELL BENT BELIEVER US $5.40 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees Daydream Believer US $0.99 [0 bids]
Pop Promo 45 ANNE MURRAY Daydream Believer on Capitol (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Monkees Daydream Believer / Goin' Down German Import 45 With Picture Sleeve US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MONKEES DAYDREAM BELIEVER RECORD SINGLE PICT SLEEVE US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Monkees, I'm A Believer (and other hits) : Flashback Vol. 49 Audio CD US $5.79 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees I'M A BELIEVER - FLASHBACK Original Recordings CD RETRO Pop US $8.00 [0 bids]
NEIL DIAMOND 1971 "I'M A BELIEVER / CROOKED STREET" NEAR MINT US $2.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Vintage Records The Monkees Daydream Believer It's Ni US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BB King Midnight Believer Vinyl LP 1978 VG+ Muddy Waters Chicago Blues Delta US $20.00 [0 bids]
THE MONKEES: Daydream Believer / Goin' Down 45RPM US $5.50 Buy It Now 1 day
John Coltrane/The Believer/Prestige/PRST7292/VG++ US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
2011 LEAF POP CENTURY AUTO: PETER TORK #3/5 AUTOGRAPH MONKEES-DAYDREAM BELIEVER US $112.59 Buy It Now 1 day
MONKEES DAYDREAM BELIEVER JAPAN US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
I'm A Believer Robert Wyatt UK 7" vinyl single record VS.114 VIRGIN 1974 US $30.42 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MONKEES I'M A BELIEVER ORIGINAL 1966 GERMAN ALTERNATE SLEEVE PRESS 7" US $13.56 Buy It Now 1 day
John Stewart - Daydream Believer - 7" 1971 - Ex US $0.02 [0 bids]
B.B. King - Midnight Believer/Take It Home CD US $19.26 Buy It Now 1 day
LLOYD,FLOYD-BELIEVER CD NEW US $17.21 Buy It Now 1 day
VG PLAY VG TO V++ IDRIS MUHAMMAD I'M A BELIEVER DJ VOCAL FUNK VINYL 45 US $100.77 Buy It Now 1 day
Smash Mouth - I'm A Believer 4 Track CD Single US $4.65 Buy It Now 1 day
Popinjays, I'm a believer CD single US $3.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Phil Keaggy - True Believer (1995) - Used - Compact Disc US $0.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees - I'm A Believer 7" 1966 Vg RCA 1560 US $7.61 Buy It Now 1 day
LUTHER VANDROSS Make Me A Believer b/w Busy Body STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Dreamer/The Believer [PA] by Common (CD, Dec-2011) AUDIO CD ONLY US $2.00 [0 bids]
NEIL DIAMOND I'm A Believer Bellaphon 1970s German P/S 7" US $6.76 Buy It Now 1 day
Robert Wyatt(7" Vinyl)I'm A Believer-Virgin-VS 114-UK-Ex/Ex US $11.84 Buy It Now 1 day
MONKEES - I'm a Believer: The Best of the Monkees - 2 CD GREATEST HITS CD US $17.57 [0 bids]
True Believer * by Bob Carlisle CD GREATEST HITS BEST OF SEALED BUTTERFLY KISSES US $6.95 [0 bids]
MONKEES 45S-LOT OF 2-I'M A BELIEVER, STEPPIN' STONE, PLEASANT VALLEY SUN. [0341] US $7.00 [0 bids]
38 special rockin' into the night lp stone cold believer 12" A&M SP-4782 US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy BELIEVER music online Buy BELIEVER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BELIEVER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BELIEVER Sanity Obscure ratings distribution

BELIEVER Sanity Obscure reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Sanity Obscure" is the 2nd full-length studio album by US thrash metal act Believer. The album was first released through R.E.X. Records in 1990 and then again in 1991 through Roadrunner Records. Thereīs been a change in the lineup since "Extraction from Mortality (1989)" as Howe Kraft has been replaced by new bassist Wyatt Robertson.

The technical and aggressive thrash metal style from the debut album is continued here and references to bands like Coroner and Kreator are still pretty obvious. The music is generally a bit more sophisticated than on the debut album though and thereīs even a progressive tinged track on the album in "Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)". That song features orchestral string parts composed by Kurt Bachmanīs high school friend Scott Laird as well as female soprano vocals courtesy of Lairdīs sister Julianne Laird Hoge. A really innovative and quite interesting mix of thrash metal and classical music that was ahead of itīs time in 1990. The rest of the tracks on the album are in a more "regular" technical and aggressive thrash metal style with Kurt Bachmanīs raw and fiercely aggressive vocals in front, spitting out lyrics which are still written from a christian point of view. "Stop the Madness" is an anti drug song though. Believer also play a U2 cover track in "Like a Song". Itīs placed as the last song on "Sanity Obscure", which was probably a good idea as it does break the flow of the album.

The musicianship are on a high level. Believer are a very tight playing unit. Sharp, edgy, and fast precision playing. The sound production is a bit darker than on the debut which provides the music a harder edge and slightly more atmosphere too. "Sanity Obscure" is in all departments a great second album by Believer and a step up from the otherwise promising debut album "Extraction from Mortality (1989)". As mentioned above this is also the album where Believer start toying with semi-progressive ideas which was something they would explore further on subsequent releases. "Sanity Obscure" is however still first and foremost a technically well played thrash metal album. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#216418) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars First of all I was stunned and pleasantly surprised to see Believer here on the progarchives as they are certainly one of the most innovative thrash acts of the late 80s and 90s. Their Christian/Bible based lyrics put them in that huge Christian metal category of the 80s when metal was king and everyone was into it.

Believer are a definitive blend of Morbid Angel meets Kreator with Slayer-esque riffs and dominating pounding drums throughout from Daub. But unlike those bands, rather than glorify and hail Satan, Believer are the opposite, featuring themes of turning to Christ and celebrating Satan's demise as told in Revelation. Bachman's lead vocals are the traditional gravelly tones as found in Morbid Angel, Obituary and Sepultura and the guitar riffing of Bachman and Baddorf is breakneck speed all out thrash with very little lead work, though notably there are some catchy melodies in each track.

Sanity Obscure is the title track that begins with a strange musical box effect that seems broken and edited. It's a weird way to begin a thrash album. Then the brutal riff crunches in, broken and jagged, with a beat missing. Then it stops suddenly with a brief acoustic flourish - welcome to Believer! The double lead break is divine. The lyrics point to the themes and concepts of Biblical principles as is evident in the scripture references. All the lyrics are featured in the liner notes of the CD, backed by scriptures, and worthy of quoting here to get a feel for the type of themes Believer are relaying:

The birth pains have begun, These omens of sanity are obscured, Hidden from the insane minds, Though seeing they do not see, They hear but understanding can't find, This people's heart has become calloused, Their eyes they willfuly seal, Otherwise their eyes might see, And in turn become healed, Blurred visions, Sanity obscure, [Matthew 13:39; Mark 13; I Corinthians 2:7; Romans 16:25; Revelation]

Wisdom's Call has a beautiful acoustic intro that is almost customary for the 80s metal machine. Of course the distorted wall of sound soon breaks in and the band launch into a memorable riff that chugs along with a strange time signature that is unsettling to the ears. The mighty power riff is ever present and a hallmark of the band. At 3:05 the riff breaks again into an uneven complex metrical shift, with stops and starts and off beat sections before the double lead guitar squeal in.

Idols of Ignorance has a really low grumbling riff that builds in pace and then settles into a standard fare speed lick. One of the fastest you will hear, the track pummels the ears. Daub's drums are frenetic double kick throughout. At 2:25 one of the most infectious grooves locks in. So precise and technical. It reminds one of Tourniquet (surely as deserved a place on the progarchives as Believer) and Deliverance, but Believer do it with such conviction and relentless speed.

The rapid fire riffing continues on Stop The Madness that begins with a hearbeat and a voice of a subject snorting coke then the heartbeat flatlines. Message: don't do drugs. The riff spins wildly out of control at 3:15 at shattering speed where time sigs are off the scale 7/8 3/4 8/6 I can't keep up.

Their second album features perhaps Believer's best and most progressive track Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) featuring beautiful orchestral arrangements from Scott Laird, the progressive links are due moreover to his vision. This is the track that peaked my interest in particular and it is very memorable and engaging. The female operatic singing of Julianne Laird Hoge is gorgeous and sung in the foreign opera tongue:

Libera me, Domine, de morte aeterna in die illa tremenda Quendo coeli movendi sunt et terra Dum veneris judicare saeculum per ignem (Deliver me, Lord from the eternal death On that dreadful day when heavens and earth Shall move, when you come to judge the world through fire) It is moving and features amazing violin and strings. It feels like some Therion or Nightwish in its operatic style but this was way ahead of its time before this type of fusion existed! The rest of the album is virtually full blown wall to wall thrash with blistering guitar licks that blaze at 100 miles an hour. It is not for the blessed meak and only the most open minded Christian need apply, but this music goes beyond the Christian fan as it has a lot to offer for any metal head who enjoys their thrash turned up to 11 and ultra-aggressive. Some of the tracks are positively brutal such as Idols of Ignorance with great lyrics:

Dreamers, enticed to turn away, Kneeling, to gods born from clay, Praying, to images carved to stone, Bowing, though sins are not atoned, Hearing, only silence through your cries, Seeing, nothing with lifeless eyes, Worthless, are the objects idolized, Blinded, men fall to their demise, Unholy, lovers of themselves, Money, the lust of which compels, Brutal, without self control, Defying, the Redeemer of their soul, I am the first and the last, Yahweh, Creator of ages past,

It all ends on the weird U2 cover version of Like a Song that is as out of place here as the last song on the previous album. It seems that Believer do not want us to take them too seriously, but this is a great cover version with some cool melodies and guitar motifs from a mainstream band hyped to the max with Believer's own inimitable style.

Overall, this is my favourite Believer album featuring some of their best work (Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)) and I recommend it to any one into the heavier more extreme technical metal with a progressive edge.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#216508) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009

Post a review of BELIEVER "Sanity Obscure"