SANITY OBSCURE

Studio Album, released in 1990

1. Sanity Obscure (6:06)
2. Wisdom's Call (3:44)
3. Nonpoint (5:14)
4. Idols of Ignorance (4:39)
5. Stop the Madness (3:56)
6. Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) (5:41)
7. Dust to Dust (5:02)
8. Like a Song (U2 Cover) (3:27)

Search BELIEVER Sanity Obscure lyrics

Search BELIEVER Sanity Obscure tabs

- Kurt Bachman / guitars, vocals
- Dave Baddorf / guitars
- Wyatt Robertson / bass
- Joey Daub / drums

Guest musicians:
- Scott Laird - orchestral composition of "Dies Irae"
- Julianne Laird Hoge - soprano on "Dies Irae"

Released in 1990 by R.E.X. Records and in 1991 by Roadrunner Records.
Some versions of the album include song "I.Y.F." (non-LP bonus track).
Re-released in 2007 (Europe) and 2008 (USA) by Metal Mind Productions in
digipack format.

Thanks to UMUR for the addition

BELIEVER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BELIEVER Sanity Obscure Music

Metal Blade 2009
Sanity ObscureSanity Obscure
Limited Edition
Massacre Germany 2008
The Monkees I'M A BELIEVER Best Of 36 Track Collection NEW SEALED 2 CD US $7.99 [0 bids]
41m 50s
6274 Daydream Believer-Anne Murray 45 rpm 7" single 1979 Country/Pop NM w/Strips US $1.89 [0 bids]
45m 23s
The Believer by Rhett Miller (CD, Feb-2006, Verve) US $1.99 [0 bids]
51m 34s
believer extraction from mortality pestilence sepultura sadus devastation US $39.99 [0 bids]
55m 41s
COMMON The Dreamer / The Believer LP SEALED US $20.69 Buy It Now 1h 9m
DALLAS HOLM & PRAISE HEY I'M A BELIEVER Live 1977 Greentree Vinyl LP R3441 US $0.99 [0 bids]
The MONKEES I'M A BELIEVER-COLGEMS 45 ORIG. RECORD -Steppin' Stone VG+-NM US $1.00 [0 bids]
Believer by Kutless (CD, 2012, BEC Recordings) US $6.95 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Believer - CD [USG] US $4.58 Buy It Now 3h 3m
Monkees I'm A Believer Steppin Stone with picture sleeve 7" Rock US $3.99 [0 bids]
LAURA DAWN "BELIEVER" 2001 UNPLAYED RADIO STATION MUSIC LIBRARY PROMO OOP CD US $0.89 [0 bids]
Daydream Believer / Goin Down The Monkees 45 Colgems 66-1012 VG US $4.99 [0 bids]
VEIN CRANES - TRUE BELIEVER B/W PINK MOTHERFUCKER, ATTITUDE 7" EP GONER RECORDS US $4.48 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Johnny Cash~"A Believer Sings The Truth"~dbl lp vinyl record Cachet CL3-9001 US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Vintage 45 RPM Record The Monkees I'm a Believer & Not Your Steppin' Stone US $12.00 Buy It Now 4h 38m
The Monkees Daydream Believer (alt mix) Rhino promo 7" vinyl OOP US $55.98 [1 bids]
Believer - Kutless US $11.08 Buy It Now 5h 24m
The Monkees; Goin Down/Daydream Believer Colgems 45 EX PICTURE SLEEVE #66-1012 US $5.50 [1 bids]
Monkees, Daydream Believer / Randy Scouse. US $2.99 [0 bids]
the monkees i'm a believer & steppin stone US $0.25 [0 bids]
The CRUCIFIED S/T 1st CD CHRISTian Thrash/Hardcore Crashdog Believer Vengeance US $57.77 Buy It Now 6h 9m
NEIL DIAMOND-SEPTEMBER MORN-LP-NM-COLUMBIA-I'M A BELIEVER-STAGGER LEE US $2.99 [0 bids]
THE MONKEES "DAYDREAM BELIEVER COLLECTION VOLUME 1" CD [NEW/SEALED] US $13.92 Buy It Now 7h 10m
Monkees "Daydream Believer" Great Oz 7" US $9.31 Buy It Now 7h 36m
Ronnie Milsap - True Believer (1993) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 7h 54m
The MONKEES Daydream Believer & Goin Down Colgems 45rpm 66-1012 Record US $7.99 Buy It Now 8h 36m
The Dreamer/The Believer [PA] by Common (CD, Dec-2011, Warner Bros.) US $6.99 [0 bids]
The Monkees 45 I'm A Believer/(I'm Not Your) Steppin Stone - 66-1002 VG- US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE~MONKEES~DAYDREAM~BELIEVER~GOIN~DOWN~45~RPM~&~PS US $12.66 Buy It Now 9h 49m
Anne Murray - Daydream Believer / Do You Think Of Me 45 1979 VG / VG+ US $1.39 Buy It Now 10h 50m
PAUL SLADE believer and the wayfinder LP 11 track gatefold, some minor edgewear US $19.34 Buy It Now 11h 26m
THE MONKEES-DAYDREAM BELIEVER b/w GOIN' DOWN-7" SINGLE-1967 RCA OZ ISSUE-SCARCE US $17.46 Buy It Now 13h 31m
Mariam The Believer - Blood Donation - 13 Track US $6.64 Buy It Now 13h 56m
I'm A Believer,I'm Not Your Steppin Stone - The Monkees (45 1966) {Single} US $0.25 [0 bids]
Midnight Believer & Take It H * NEW * Free Priority Shipping US $16.31 Buy It Now 16h 18m
I'm a Believer: The Best of the Monkees * NEW * Free Priority Shipping US $13.70 Buy It Now 16h 22m
JIM ED BROWN & HELEN CORNELIUS SIGNED COPY LP BORN BELIEVER US $15.39 [0 bids]
ATLAS MOTH - OLD BELIEVER NEW CD US $21.90 Buy It Now 16h 58m
I'm a Believer and Other Hits by Monkees (The) (CD, Jan-1999, Flashback Records) US $5.49 Buy It Now 17h 14m
Jean Shepard - I'm A Believer - MINT SEALED LP US $10.95 Buy It Now 17h 31m
THE MONKEES 3inch CD snap pack JAPAN DAYDREAM BELIEVER US $23.00 Buy It Now 18h 13m
The Monkees I'm A Believer Flashback CD Used US $5.99 Buy It Now 18h 14m
Dreamer the Believer - Common New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $29.24 Buy It Now 18h 19m
I'M A BELIEVER / (I'M NOT YOUR) STEPPING STONE 1966 THE MONKEES RCA VICTOR 1560 US $1.65 [0 bids]
The Monkees: Goin' Down/Day Dream Believer 45 Record US $2.99 [0 bids]
Monkees 45 RPM Record-Daydream Believer US $1.00 [0 bids]
20h
Monkees 45 RPM Record-I'm A Believer US $1.50 [0 bids]
20h
B.B. KING "MIDNIGHT BELIEVER" US $19.99 Buy It Now 20h 19m
True Believer by US $6.30 Buy It Now 20h 33m
Tommy Overstreet "I'm A Believer" Record Album ABC Dot DOSD-2016 (Promo) US $5.00 [0 bids]
Ronnie Milsap , Audio CD, True Believer US $8.87 Buy It Now 21h 5m
HENRY PRIESTMAN - True Believer. UK CD +pr (The Christians, Buy 3 = Free P US $3.30 Buy It Now 21h 35m
The Monkees Arista 45 Record #9119 VG+ I'm A Believer / Pleasant Valley Sunday US $5.00 Buy It Now 21h 45m
2011 Believer Transhuman Music CD Sealed US $9.95 Buy It Now 22h 9m
believer sanity obscure 1990 r.e.x. records cassette US $10.95 Buy It Now 22h 19m
Believer Sanity Obscure USA Cassette Tape US $9.99 Buy It Now 23h 31m
7" 45 rpm - THE MONKEES - I'M A BELIEVER/(I'M NOT YOUR) STEPPIN' STONE - Colgems US $1.99 [0 bids]
Tommy Overstreet I'm A Believer / This Land Is A Big Land 7" 45 rpm Goldies NM US $3.30 Buy It Now 23h 37m
True Believer - Bob Carlisle New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $12.86 Buy It Now 23h 41m
NEIL DIAMOND - I'M A BELIEVER (IMPORT) NEW CD US $16.93 Buy It Now 23h 42m
The Monkees 45 I'm A Believer Picture Sleeve Colgems 66-1002 US $14.99 Buy It Now 23h 48m
Local Hero: Daydream Believer 12 Inch DJ Copy Ariola Records Made in USA US $8.21 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees - Daydream Believer (The Platinum Collection, 2005) New US $5.59 Buy It Now 1 day
TOMMY OVERSTREET - I'm A Believer - Ex Con LP Record US $21.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Robert wyatt i'm a believer 1974 uk virgin label vinyl 7"single vs 114 US $9.14 Buy It Now 1 day
Monkees 45 RPM Record-I'm A Believer US $3.00 [0 bids]
The Monkees Im a Believer US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Monkees Daydream Believer US $0.99 [0 bids]
PAT McGLYNN'S SCOTTIES Daydream Believer GP-1095 OBI LP AE1210 US $7.99 [0 bids]
EMF Feat Reeves & Mortimer I'm A Believer Cd Single US $6.64 Buy It Now 1 day
Weather Girls Land Of The Non Believer (PS)7" Vinyl US $9.57 Buy It Now 1 day
RHETT MILLER - The Believer - RARE 12 Track CD Advance US $5.19 Buy It Now 1 day
New Believer - Near Perfect US $3.92 Buy It Now 1 day
(EI496) Troy Cassar-Daley, True Believer, 2 CDS - 1997 CD US $10.15 Buy It Now 1 day
JAZZ/ David Sanborn - Believer (Promo) US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RONNIE MILSAP These Foolish Things / True Believer LIBERTY used 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JOHN CAMPBELL One Believer SEALED on Cassette Tape US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees 45 Daydream Believer/(I'm Not Your)Steppin Stone Arista Records US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Believer by Rhett Miller (CD, Feb-2006, Verve) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Slow Down Molasses : Im An Old Believer CD (2008) US $11.90 Buy It Now 1 day
BELIEVER - DIMENSIONS (LTD) (REISSUE) (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $22.27 Buy It Now 1 day
MONKEES--PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY--(DAYDREAM BELIEVER)--PS--PIC--SLV US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MONKEES--PICTURE SLEEVE + 45--(DAYDREAM BELIEVER)--PS--PIC--SLV US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Tommy Overstreet "I'm A Believer" US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MONKEES--PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY--(I'M A BELIEVER)-PS--PIC--SLV US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Barbara Mandrell Get to the Heart 1985 I'm a Believer Angel In Your Arms sealed US $1.99 [0 bids]
Joel Diamond - The Believer soundtrack - SEALED U.S. cd - RARE! US $24.97 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MONKEES - GOIN' DOWN / DAYDREAM BELIEVER 45 RECORD US $2.00 [0 bids]
I'm a Believer and Other Hits by The Monkees (CD, 1999, Flashback Records) US $4.00 [0 bids]
Pop Promo 45 BRIMSTONE Be a Believer on Big Tree (Promo US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
NOISEWORKS Freedom & Believer 7" 45 rpm vinyl record + juke box title strip US $3.72 Buy It Now 1 day
KATIE BRIGGS 45 Overland / The Non-Believer DERAM Soul VG++ Promo Copy #C702 US $13.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Neil Diamond - IM A Believer CD US $14.69 Buy It Now 1 day
MONKEES - i'm a believer, Germany RCA 66-1002 US $6.66 [0 bids]
WE THE GATHERED - BELIEVER (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $14.64 Buy It Now 1 day
B.B. King - Midnight Believer [CD New] US $12.63 Buy It Now 1 day
Monkees - Daydream Believer & Other Hits [CD New] US $5.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Believer Dimensions Rex label US $9.99 [0 bids]
ANNE MURRAY - Day Dream Believer / Do You Think Of Me - 45 RPM US $1.25 [0 bids]
45 RPM w/PIC SLEEVE The Monkees I'M A BELIEVER/STEPPIN' STONE Colgems NM- US $11.00 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy BELIEVER music online Buy BELIEVER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BELIEVER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BELIEVER Sanity Obscure ratings distribution

BELIEVER Sanity Obscure reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Sanity Obscure" is the 2nd full-length studio album by US thrash metal act Believer. The album was first released through R.E.X. Records in 1990 and then again in 1991 through Roadrunner Records. Thereīs been a change in the lineup since "Extraction from Mortality (1989)" as Howe Kraft has been replaced by new bassist Wyatt Robertson.

The technical and aggressive thrash metal style from the debut album is continued here and references to bands like Coroner and Kreator are still pretty obvious. The music is generally a bit more sophisticated than on the debut album though and thereīs even a progressive tinged track on the album in "Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)". That song features orchestral string parts composed by Kurt Bachmanīs high school friend Scott Laird as well as female soprano vocals courtesy of Lairdīs sister Julianne Laird Hoge. A really innovative and quite interesting mix of thrash metal and classical music that was ahead of itīs time in 1990. The rest of the tracks on the album are in a more "regular" technical and aggressive thrash metal style with Kurt Bachmanīs raw and fiercely aggressive vocals in front, spitting out lyrics which are still written from a christian point of view. "Stop the Madness" is an anti drug song though. Believer also play a U2 cover track in "Like a Song". Itīs placed as the last song on "Sanity Obscure", which was probably a good idea as it does break the flow of the album.

The musicianship are on a high level. Believer are a very tight playing unit. Sharp, edgy, and fast precision playing. The sound production is a bit darker than on the debut which provides the music a harder edge and slightly more atmosphere too. "Sanity Obscure" is in all departments a great second album by Believer and a step up from the otherwise promising debut album "Extraction from Mortality (1989)". As mentioned above this is also the album where Believer start toying with semi-progressive ideas which was something they would explore further on subsequent releases. "Sanity Obscure" is however still first and foremost a technically well played thrash metal album. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#216418) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars First of all I was stunned and pleasantly surprised to see Believer here on the progarchives as they are certainly one of the most innovative thrash acts of the late 80s and 90s. Their Christian/Bible based lyrics put them in that huge Christian metal category of the 80s when metal was king and everyone was into it.

Believer are a definitive blend of Morbid Angel meets Kreator with Slayer-esque riffs and dominating pounding drums throughout from Daub. But unlike those bands, rather than glorify and hail Satan, Believer are the opposite, featuring themes of turning to Christ and celebrating Satan's demise as told in Revelation. Bachman's lead vocals are the traditional gravelly tones as found in Morbid Angel, Obituary and Sepultura and the guitar riffing of Bachman and Baddorf is breakneck speed all out thrash with very little lead work, though notably there are some catchy melodies in each track.

Sanity Obscure is the title track that begins with a strange musical box effect that seems broken and edited. It's a weird way to begin a thrash album. Then the brutal riff crunches in, broken and jagged, with a beat missing. Then it stops suddenly with a brief acoustic flourish - welcome to Believer! The double lead break is divine. The lyrics point to the themes and concepts of Biblical principles as is evident in the scripture references. All the lyrics are featured in the liner notes of the CD, backed by scriptures, and worthy of quoting here to get a feel for the type of themes Believer are relaying:

The birth pains have begun, These omens of sanity are obscured, Hidden from the insane minds, Though seeing they do not see, They hear but understanding can't find, This people's heart has become calloused, Their eyes they willfuly seal, Otherwise their eyes might see, And in turn become healed, Blurred visions, Sanity obscure, [Matthew 13:39; Mark 13; I Corinthians 2:7; Romans 16:25; Revelation]

Wisdom's Call has a beautiful acoustic intro that is almost customary for the 80s metal machine. Of course the distorted wall of sound soon breaks in and the band launch into a memorable riff that chugs along with a strange time signature that is unsettling to the ears. The mighty power riff is ever present and a hallmark of the band. At 3:05 the riff breaks again into an uneven complex metrical shift, with stops and starts and off beat sections before the double lead guitar squeal in.

Idols of Ignorance has a really low grumbling riff that builds in pace and then settles into a standard fare speed lick. One of the fastest you will hear, the track pummels the ears. Daub's drums are frenetic double kick throughout. At 2:25 one of the most infectious grooves locks in. So precise and technical. It reminds one of Tourniquet (surely as deserved a place on the progarchives as Believer) and Deliverance, but Believer do it with such conviction and relentless speed.

The rapid fire riffing continues on Stop The Madness that begins with a hearbeat and a voice of a subject snorting coke then the heartbeat flatlines. Message: don't do drugs. The riff spins wildly out of control at 3:15 at shattering speed where time sigs are off the scale 7/8 3/4 8/6 I can't keep up.

Their second album features perhaps Believer's best and most progressive track Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) featuring beautiful orchestral arrangements from Scott Laird, the progressive links are due moreover to his vision. This is the track that peaked my interest in particular and it is very memorable and engaging. The female operatic singing of Julianne Laird Hoge is gorgeous and sung in the foreign opera tongue:

Libera me, Domine, de morte aeterna in die illa tremenda Quendo coeli movendi sunt et terra Dum veneris judicare saeculum per ignem (Deliver me, Lord from the eternal death On that dreadful day when heavens and earth Shall move, when you come to judge the world through fire) It is moving and features amazing violin and strings. It feels like some Therion or Nightwish in its operatic style but this was way ahead of its time before this type of fusion existed! The rest of the album is virtually full blown wall to wall thrash with blistering guitar licks that blaze at 100 miles an hour. It is not for the blessed meak and only the most open minded Christian need apply, but this music goes beyond the Christian fan as it has a lot to offer for any metal head who enjoys their thrash turned up to 11 and ultra-aggressive. Some of the tracks are positively brutal such as Idols of Ignorance with great lyrics:

Dreamers, enticed to turn away, Kneeling, to gods born from clay, Praying, to images carved to stone, Bowing, though sins are not atoned, Hearing, only silence through your cries, Seeing, nothing with lifeless eyes, Worthless, are the objects idolized, Blinded, men fall to their demise, Unholy, lovers of themselves, Money, the lust of which compels, Brutal, without self control, Defying, the Redeemer of their soul, I am the first and the last, Yahweh, Creator of ages past,

It all ends on the weird U2 cover version of Like a Song that is as out of place here as the last song on the previous album. It seems that Believer do not want us to take them too seriously, but this is a great cover version with some cool melodies and guitar motifs from a mainstream band hyped to the max with Believer's own inimitable style.

Overall, this is my favourite Believer album featuring some of their best work (Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)) and I recommend it to any one into the heavier more extreme technical metal with a progressive edge.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#216508) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009

Post a review of BELIEVER "Sanity Obscure"