SANITY OBSCURE

Studio Album, released in 1990

1. Sanity Obscure (6:06)
2. Wisdom's Call (3:44)
3. Nonpoint (5:14)
4. Idols of Ignorance (4:39)
5. Stop the Madness (3:56)
6. Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) (5:41)
7. Dust to Dust (5:02)
8. Like a Song (U2 Cover) (3:27)

Search BELIEVER Sanity Obscure lyrics

Search BELIEVER Sanity Obscure tabs

- Kurt Bachman / guitars, vocals
- Dave Baddorf / guitars
- Wyatt Robertson / bass
- Joey Daub / drums

Guest musicians:
- Scott Laird - orchestral composition of "Dies Irae"
- Julianne Laird Hoge - soprano on "Dies Irae"

Released in 1990 by R.E.X. Records and in 1991 by Roadrunner Records.
Some versions of the album include song "I.Y.F." (non-LP bonus track).
Re-released in 2007 (Europe) and 2008 (USA) by Metal Mind Productions in
digipack format.

Thanks to UMUR for the addition

BELIEVER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BELIEVER Sanity Obscure Music

Massacre Germany 2008
TranshumanTranshuman
Metal Blade 2011
Laura Dawn,Believer US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
THE MONKEES - 80's Sheet Music - DAYDREAM BELIEVER - By John Stewart US $13.45 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Monkees I'm A Believer / (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone German 45 WPS US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 29m
THE MONKEES 45 Flashback Record "Pleasant Valley Sunday" / "I'm a Believer" VG+ US $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 42m
THE MONKEES 45 Flashback Record "Daydream Believer" / "Steppin' Stone" VG+ US $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Greatest Hits by The Monkees CD Oct 1995 Rock and Roll Music Daydream Believer US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Monkees I'm A Believer / (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone German 45 WPS US $34.99 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Kiyoshi,Kobayashi - Daydream Believer [CD New] US $34.99 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Monkees I'm A Believer / (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone German 45 WPS US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 7m
The Dreamer/The Believer Common CD US $11.55 Buy It Now 4h 18m
REAL PEOPLE UK 1992 12" Single BELIEVER DiscMINT US $5.87 Buy It Now 4h 23m
JOHN STEWART daydream believer 7" CS EX/EX uk warner wea US $11.75 Buy It Now 4h 30m
I'm A Believer (and other hits) : Flashback Vol. 49 Monkees MUSIC CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Jean Shepard: I'm A Believer (Vinyl LP, New Sealed, United Artists) US $9.98 Buy It Now 5h 16m
MONKEES RCA 1502 I'M A BELIEVER (ITALY) VG+/M- WPC $30.00 US $30.00 Buy It Now 5h 17m
Daydream Believer / Goin' Down The Monkees 45 RPM Colgems 66 - 1012 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Kenneth Copeland -- I'm a Believer--- in Near Mint condition US $7.00 [0 bids]
The Monkees- Steppin' Stone/ I'm a Believer 45 Decca Records sleeve US $4.29 [0 bids]
THE MONKEES - I'M A BELIEVER & STEPPIN STONE - 45 RPM COLGEMS RECORD 1966 US $9.00 Buy It Now 7h 44m
NEIL DIAMOND I'M A BELIEVER/CROOKED STREET GERMAN 7"PS US $16.39 Buy It Now 8h 10m
Anne Murray Daydreamer Believer/Same(MONO Promo) 45 RPM Capitol Records US $7.00 Buy It Now 8h 53m
The Monkees I'M A BELIEVER Best Of 36 Track Collection NEW SEALED 2 CD US $7.99 [0 bids]
9h
Daydream Believer-1991-Australia Original Soundtrack CD US $93.37 Buy It Now 10h 45m
Johnny Cash, A Believer Sings The Truth US $5.00 [0 bids]
Neil Diamond 45 September Morn / I'm A Believer US $1.50 Buy It Now 11h 6m
JOHN COLTRANE: The Believer LP (Euro, 140 gram clear vinyl reissue, hand number US $25.00 Buy It Now 11h 12m
THE MONKEES,Daydream Believer /Goin'Down PICTURE SLEEVE US $12.00 Buy It Now 11h 24m
THE MONKEES,I'm A Believer/Steppin' Stone PIC. SLEEVE US $12.00 Buy It Now 11h 26m
Smash Mouth I'm A Believer Film Version Radio Edit 2:54 Shrek CD Single Promo US $3.99 Buy It Now 11h 47m
"R&B Soul" "B.B. King" "Midnight Believer" "Rare LP" US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 2m
Monkees Daydream Believer And Other Hits CD US $4.19 Buy It Now 13h 17m
Barbara Mandrell Get to the Heart 1985 I'm a Believer Angel In Your Arms sealed US $1.99 [0 bids]
OZZY OSBOURNE BELIEVER LIVE POLKA DOT PICTURE DISC 45 edition #4158 randy rhoads US $23.99 [0 bids]
The Monkees"(I'm not your)Steppin Stone" "I'm a believer" 7' vinyl record US $8.00 [0 bids]
NEW The Dreamer, The Believer(Explicit Version) - Common US $14.51 Buy It Now 14h 32m
I'M A BELIEVER / STEPPIN' STONE -- MONKEES US $7.99 Buy It Now 15h 9m
MONKEES--PICTURE SLEEVE + 45--(DAYDREAM BELIEVER)--PS--PIC--SLV US $14.99 Buy It Now 15h 41m
The Believer by Rhett Miller (CD, Feb-2006, Verve) US $8.00 Buy It Now 17h
THE MONKEES..'M A BELIEVER/STEPPIN' STONE..ORIG..RCA..GOOD COND. US $4.20 Buy It Now 17h 8m
monkees im a believer 45 rpm w/ picture sleeve US $15.00 Buy It Now 17h 25m
THE PAID ATTENDANCE ((HEAR))"BE A BELIEVER IN GIANT FEVER"&"BE A BELIEVER inst" US $12.00 [0 bids]
MO MAN believer JAPAN CD SEALED EN23 US $5.49 Buy It Now 17h 27m
Bob Carlisle - True Believer (CD, 2005, Sony Music Distribution, USA) US $4.99 Buy It Now 19h 13m
The Poems I am a believer / Stupid tango CD Promo Single US $8.39 Buy It Now 20h 21m
COMMON-THE DREAMER, THE BELIEVER-JAPAN CD D95 US $24.50 Buy It Now 21h 20m
MONKEES - DAVY JONES "DAYDREAM BELIEVER c/w GOIN' DOWN" CLASSIC LISTEN! US $16.79 Buy It Now 22h 59m
JEAN SHEPARD i'm a believer LP 10 track sleeve has shop sticker on front (uas299 US $10.82 Buy It Now 23h 13m
2 bb king 45s / make you cry / move too soon / midnight believer / love alone US $9.95 [0 bids]
Smash Mouth - I'm A Believer 2001 CD US $6.49 Buy It Now 23h 39m
Various ?- Anna Maria X - Believer 2 CD GREEK HOUSE 2004 US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JJ (J.J.) Turner "The Believer" MINT IMPORT cd US $1.17 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MONKEES DAYDREAM BELIEVER LAST TRAIN TO CLARKSVILLE 60s POP ROCK 7" OLD GOLD US $1.66 [0 bids]
The Real People(7" Vinyl P/S)Believer-Columbia---Netherlands-Ex/Ex US $11.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Believer-Dimensions CASSETTE FREE SHIPPING (Brand New-Sealed) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Ozzy osbourne - Believer Live Polka dot 7" vinyl very rare US $9.99 [0 bids]
Funk 45 RUBY ANDREWS You Made A Believer/Where Have You Gone on Zodiac US $7.99 [1 bids]
Brown, Jim Ed & Helen Cornelius - Born Believer/Born Believer (45,1977,DEMO) US $2.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MONKEES I'm A Believer 45 US $2.24 [2 bids]
Original 1975 TOMMY OVERSTREET "I'm A Believer" LP Vinyl Record ALBUM 12" US $4.72 Buy It Now 1 day
Soul 45 BROOK BENTON Poor Make Believer on Cotillion US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PAID ATTENDANCE: Be A Believer In Dodger Fever / Be A Believer (instro) US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Monkees 45 RPM Record-Daydream Believer US $1.00 [0 bids]
Monkees 45 RPM Record-Daydream Believer US $1.00 [0 bids]
RONNIE MILSAP *RED VINYL* "TRUE BELIEVER" 45 RPM US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Hard Believer - Tommy Castro (2009, CD New) US $11.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Sawyer Brown True Believer CD NEW US $15.91 Buy It Now 1 day
Believer-Dimensions CD FREE SHIPPING Original 1993 R.E.X. Records Thrash Metal US $17.49 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees Colgems 45 Record #1002 VG I'm A Believer / Steppin' Stone US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees Arista 45 Record #72 EX Daydream Believer / Steppin Stone US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Escovedo, Alejandro True Believer: Best Of CD New US $9.94 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees ROCK 45 (Colgems 1012) Daydream Believer/Goin' Down VG+ US $6.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MONKEES i'm a believer / (i'm not your) steppin' stone 7" VG+ COLGEMS 66 US $30.00 Buy It Now 1 day
COMMON The Dreamer / The Believer VINYL LP RECORD New! SEALED RSD US $22.98 Buy It Now 1 day
LILLIAN AXE True Believer 1992 USA MINT PROMO Radio DJ CD Single DPRO67081 US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MONKEES I'M A BELIEVER 45 & SLEEVE NEAR MINT US $7.99 [0 bids]
Believer, Laura Dawn, Excellent US $1.00 Buy It Now 1 day
2 M- 45 rpm & Picture The Beatles RAIN / Paperback writer Monkees I'm a believer US $49.95 [0 bids]
MICHAEL BACON Kevin Bacon's Brother LP LOVE SONG BELIEVER Monument Folk Rock 75 US $19.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SMASH MOUTH I'm A Believer CD Single US $9.29 Buy It Now 1 day
VG++ FLAMINGO ORKESTRA W/ CYNTHIA MANLEY STILL A BELIEVER IN LOVE (BOTH SIDES) US $4.98 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees - I'm a Believer The Best Of 2-CD NEW/SEALED US $6.40 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MONKEES ~ Daydream Believer/Goin Down ~ picture sleeve/psych 45 (NM) COLGEMS US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
JEAN SHEPARD 'I'M A BELIEVER' US IMPORT LP US $13.43 Buy It Now 1 day
THE REAL PEOPLE - BELIEVER 12" US $1.66 Buy It Now 1 day
AMX- BELIEVER CD GREEK ELECTRONICA 2002 NEW US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Monkees - i'm a believer / steppin stone - vg condition 45-RPM US $2.99 [0 bids]
THE MONKEES 20-Track Greatest Hits CD I'm a Believer, Daydream Believer NEW SS US $4.99 [0 bids]
True Believer * by Bob Carlisle CD GREATEST HITS BEST OF SEALED BUTTERFLY KISSES US $6.95 [0 bids]
MONKEES Daydream Believer / Goin' Down 1967 COLGEMS CLASSIC ROCK 45-1012 US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
The Monkees Goin' Down Daydream Believer Picture Sleeve 45 Record Colgems Vtg US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
? VG+ ? THE MONKEES DAYDREAM BELIEVER / I'M NOT YOUR STEPPIN STONE ROCK REISSUE US $1.99 [0 bids]
Believer Extraction from Mortality CD OOP thrash vio-lence testament cynic US $29.99 [1 bids]
THE MONKEES Daydream Believer (The Platinum Collection / Best Of CD, 2005) MINT US $7.55 Buy It Now 2 days
J.P. FIRES Believer/Happening to You RARE 80s POWERPOP SYNTH Pago 12" LISTEN US $36.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Monkees, Daydream Believer / Randy Scouse. US $2.99 [0 bids]
JEAN SHEPARD - I'M A BELIEVER US $5.04 Buy It Now 2 days
The Believer by Rhett Miller (CD, Feb-2006, Verve) US $1.50 Buy It Now 2 days
TOMMY OVERSTREET *DJ COPY* "I'M A BELIEVER" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Neil Diamond: "September Morn" & "I'm A Believer" - '79 Pop hit with EX vinyl! US $1.00 [0 bids]
The Monkees-Daydream Believer (VG+) US $5.49 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy BELIEVER music online Buy BELIEVER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BELIEVER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BELIEVER Sanity Obscure ratings distribution

BELIEVER Sanity Obscure reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Sanity Obscure" is the 2nd full-length studio album by US thrash metal act Believer. The album was first released in 1990 by R.E.X. Records and then again in 1991 by Roadrunner Records. Thereīs been a change in the lineup since "Extraction from Mortality (1989)" as Howe Kraft has been replaced by new bassist Wyatt Robertson.

The technical and aggressive thrash metal style from the debut album is continued here and references to bands like Coroner and Kreator are still obvious. The music is a bit more sophisticated than on the debut album though and thereīs even a progressive tinged track on the album in "Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)". That song features orchestral string parts composed by Kurt Bachmanīs high school friend Scott Laird as well as female soprano vocals curtesy of Lairdīs sister Julianne Laird Hoge. A really innovative and interesting mix of thrash metal and classical music that was ahead of itīs time in 1990. The rest of the tracks on the album are in a technical and aggressive thrash metal style with Kurt Bachmanīs caustic and raspy vocals spitting out lyrics which are still written from a Christian point of view. "Stop the Madness" is an anti drug song though. Believer also plays a U2 cover track in "Like a Song". I was never much of a U2 fan though and a cover of their music isnīt something Iīm able to appreciate much, but thatīs of course an aquired taste. Itīs not a bad song but Iīm glad that itīs placed as the last song on "Sanity Obscure".

The musicianship is excellent. Believer are a very tight unit. Sharp, edgy and fast playing.

The production is a bit darker than on the debut which gives the music a harder edge.

"Sanity Obscure" is a great second album by Believer. Itīs an improvement over the promising debut album "Extraction from Mortality (1989)" and semi-progressive elements begin to appear in the music. Something they would further explore on the next album. This is still first and foremost a technical thrash metal album though. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#216418) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars First of all I was stunned and pleasantly surprised to see Believer here on the progarchives as they are certainly one of the most innovative thrash acts of the late 80s and 90s. Their Christian/Bible based lyrics put them in that huge Christian metal category of the 80s when metal was king and everyone was into it.

Believer are a definitive blend of Morbid Angel meets Kreator with Slayer-esque riffs and dominating pounding drums throughout from Daub. But unlike those bands, rather than glorify and hail Satan, Believer are the opposite, featuring themes of turning to Christ and celebrating Satan's demise as told in Revelation. Bachman's lead vocals are the traditional gravelly tones as found in Morbid Angel, Obituary and Sepultura and the guitar riffing of Bachman and Baddorf is breakneck speed all out thrash with very little lead work, though notably there are some catchy melodies in each track.

Sanity Obscure is the title track that begins with a strange musical box effect that seems broken and edited. It's a weird way to begin a thrash album. Then the brutal riff crunches in, broken and jagged, with a beat missing. Then it stops suddenly with a brief acoustic flourish - welcome to Believer! The double lead break is divine. The lyrics point to the themes and concepts of Biblical principles as is evident in the scripture references. All the lyrics are featured in the liner notes of the CD, backed by scriptures, and worthy of quoting here to get a feel for the type of themes Believer are relaying:

The birth pains have begun, These omens of sanity are obscured, Hidden from the insane minds, Though seeing they do not see, They hear but understanding can't find, This people's heart has become calloused, Their eyes they willfuly seal, Otherwise their eyes might see, And in turn become healed, Blurred visions, Sanity obscure, [Matthew 13:39; Mark 13; I Corinthians 2:7; Romans 16:25; Revelation]

Wisdom's Call has a beautiful acoustic intro that is almost customary for the 80s metal machine. Of course the distorted wall of sound soon breaks in and the band launch into a memorable riff that chugs along with a strange time signature that is unsettling to the ears. The mighty power riff is ever present and a hallmark of the band. At 3:05 the riff breaks again into an uneven complex metrical shift, with stops and starts and off beat sections before the double lead guitar squeal in.

Idols of Ignorance has a really low grumbling riff that builds in pace and then settles into a standard fare speed lick. One of the fastest you will hear, the track pummels the ears. Daub's drums are frenetic double kick throughout. At 2:25 one of the most infectious grooves locks in. So precise and technical. It reminds one of Tourniquet (surely as deserved a place on the progarchives as Believer) and Deliverance, but Believer do it with such conviction and relentless speed.

The rapid fire riffing continues on Stop The Madness that begins with a hearbeat and a voice of a subject snorting coke then the heartbeat flatlines. Message: don't do drugs. The riff spins wildly out of control at 3:15 at shattering speed where time sigs are off the scale 7/8 3/4 8/6 I can't keep up.

Their second album features perhaps Believer's best and most progressive track Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) featuring beautiful orchestral arrangements from Scott Laird, the progressive links are due moreover to his vision. This is the track that peaked my interest in particular and it is very memorable and engaging. The female operatic singing of Julianne Laird Hoge is gorgeous and sung in the foreign opera tongue:

Libera me, Domine, de morte aeterna in die illa tremenda Quendo coeli movendi sunt et terra Dum veneris judicare saeculum per ignem (Deliver me, Lord from the eternal death On that dreadful day when heavens and earth Shall move, when you come to judge the world through fire) It is moving and features amazing violin and strings. It feels like some Therion or Nightwish in its operatic style but this was way ahead of its time before this type of fusion existed! The rest of the album is virtually full blown wall to wall thrash with blistering guitar licks that blaze at 100 miles an hour. It is not for the blessed meak and only the most open minded Christian need apply, but this music goes beyond the Christian fan as it has a lot to offer for any metal head who enjoys their thrash turned up to 11 and ultra-aggressive. Some of the tracks are positively brutal such as Idols of Ignorance with great lyrics:

Dreamers, enticed to turn away, Kneeling, to gods born from clay, Praying, to images carved to stone, Bowing, though sins are not atoned, Hearing, only silence through your cries, Seeing, nothing with lifeless eyes, Worthless, are the objects idolized, Blinded, men fall to their demise, Unholy, lovers of themselves, Money, the lust of which compels, Brutal, without self control, Defying, the Redeemer of their soul, I am the first and the last, Yahweh, Creator of ages past,

It all ends on the weird U2 cover version of Like a Song that is as out of place here as the last song on the previous album. It seems that Believer do not want us to take them too seriously, but this is a great cover version with some cool melodies and guitar motifs from a mainstream band hyped to the max with Believer's own inimitable style.

Overall, this is my favourite Believer album featuring some of their best work (Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)) and I recommend it to any one into the heavier more extreme technical metal with a progressive edge.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#216508) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009

Post a review of BELIEVER "Sanity Obscure"