SANITY OBSCURE

Studio Album, released in 1990

1. Sanity Obscure (6:06)
2. Wisdom's Call (3:44)
3. Nonpoint (5:14)
4. Idols of Ignorance (4:39)
5. Stop the Madness (3:56)
6. Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) (5:41)
7. Dust to Dust (5:02)
8. Like a Song (U2 Cover) (3:27)

Search BELIEVER Sanity Obscure lyrics

Search BELIEVER Sanity Obscure tabs

- Kurt Bachman / guitars, vocals
- Dave Baddorf / guitars
- Wyatt Robertson / bass
- Joey Daub / drums

Guest musicians:
- Scott Laird - orchestral composition of "Dies Irae"
- Julianne Laird Hoge - soprano on "Dies Irae"

Released in 1990 by R.E.X. Records and in 1991 by Roadrunner Records.
Some versions of the album include song "I.Y.F." (non-LP bonus track).
Re-released in 2007 (Europe) and 2008 (USA) by Metal Mind Productions in
digipack format.

Thanks to UMUR for the addition

BELIEVER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BELIEVER Sanity Obscure Music

Limited Edition · Remastered
Metal Mind 2008
TranshumanTranshuman
Metal Blade 2011
45 RECORD NEIL DIAMOND I'M A BELIEVER SEPTEMBER MORN 1-11175 US $1.48 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Believer (Kutless) - CD US $13.49 Buy It Now 4h 13m
The Monkees-I'm A Believer/Steppin' Stone.1966 RCA Oz press(Picture Sleeve) US $4.68 [1 bids]
DEMOLITION HAMMER EPIDEMIC OF VIOLENCE 1992 CENTURY MEDIA BELIEVER SILENT SCREAM US $43.99 Buy It Now 6h 17m
12" 45 DJ Energy "Believer" PROTON RECORDS prouk01-6 Rave Radio Richi Rich Remix US $9.95 Buy It Now 6h 42m
SMASHMOUTH "I'M A BELIEVER" ULTRA RARE AUSSIE CD SINGLE US $11.22 Buy It Now 6h 54m
Eric Wikman - Im A Believer - Generate US $6.64 Buy It Now 7h 54m
The Believer, Miller, Rhett, Good US $3.92 Buy It Now 8h 3m
GREAT MUTANT SKYWHEE - MAKE ME A BELIEVER (665331400129) - NEW CD US $11.89 Buy It Now 8h 19m
MONKEES 45S-LOT OF 2-I'M A BELIEVER, STEPPIN' STONE, PLEASANT VALLEY SUN. [0341] US $7.00 [0 bids]
ROOTS 7" THE ETHIOPIANS "I AM A BELIEVER" on SIR J.J. hear US $50.00 Buy It Now 9h 2m
Set of 2 RUBY ANDREWS Zodiac 1015 1020 YOU MADE A BELIEVER / GOTTA BREAK AWAY 45 US $23.99 Buy It Now 9h 18m
SIGNED Jim Ed Brown & Helen Cornelius - Born Believer lp RCA APL1-2399 US $19.95 [0 bids]
Monkees Daydream believer 7" OG9117 VG/EX UK US $11.39 Buy It Now 9h 25m
Monkees I'm a believer 7" RCA1560 VG/EX UK US $14.13 Buy It Now 9h 25m
" THE MONKEES, 3 SLEEVES, I,M A BELIEVER, WORDS, D.W WASHBURN AND 2 RECORDS,!!" US $29.95 Buy It Now 9h 28m
Monkees, Daydream Believer / Randy Scouse. US $2.99 [0 bids]
NEIL DIAMOND - I'M A BELIEVER [DELTA] - NEW CD US $9.59 Buy It Now 10h 44m
NEIL DIAMOND-SEPTEMBER MORN-LP-NM-COLUMBIA-I'M A BELIEVER-STAGGER LEE US $2.99 [0 bids]
45 RPM Picture Sleeve - THE MONKEES - DAYDREAM BELIEVER AND GOIN DOWN US $15.99 [0 bids]
45 RPM Picture Sleeve - THE MONKEES - I'M A BELIEVER US $19.99 [0 bids]
True Believer * by Bob Carlisle CD GREATEST HITS BEST OF SEALED BUTTERFLY KISSES US $6.95 [0 bids]
Airdream Believer:retrospective - John Stewart New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $21.15 Buy It Now 11h 14m
Tommy Overstreet(Vinyl LP)I'm A Believer-abc-ABCL 5112-UK-Ex/VG US $9.95 Buy It Now 11h 26m
45RPM The Monkees Steppin' Stone & I'm a Believer US $8.99 Buy It Now 11h 56m
Daydream Believer / Goin Down The Monkees 45 Colgems 66-1012 VG US $4.99 [0 bids]
The Poems - I Am A Believer Vinyl 7" Single Indie Rock US $3.30 [0 bids]
Sasha-Lee Davids - True Believer South African Idols CD *New* CDIDOLS113 US $10.00 Buy It Now 12h 34m
Darius Rucker True Believer New 05/21/2013 US $15.00 Buy It Now 13h 2m
THE MONKEES # 1012 - DAY DREAM BELIEVER 45 & PS US $2.99 [0 bids]
THE MONKEES, DAYDREAM BELIEVER ,7" VINYL US $1.64 [0 bids]
JEAN SHEPHARD - I'm A Believer - Excellent Condition LP Record MFP 50513 US $13.27 Buy It Now 13h 44m
Alejandro Escovedo - True Believer (The Best of , 2011) 2 CD NEW - FAST POST US $12.44 Buy It Now 13h 53m
Fringe-For The Vagabond Believer CD FREE SHIPPING 2000 Bulletproof Records US $5.85 Buy It Now 14h 2m
LIFESCAPES - THE BELIEVER THE HEART OF WORSHIP: TODAY'S PRAISE NEW CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 14h 23m
The Real People : Believer CD US $15.00 Buy It Now 14h 36m
1967 POP ROCK More Of The Monkees Vintage Vinyl LP I'M A BELIEVER MARY MARY US $3.99 [0 bids]
45 RECORD THE MONKEES- I'M A BELIEVER US $1.99 Buy It Now 14h 46m
MONKESS " DAYDREAM BELIEVER / GOIN' DOWN " RARE ORIGINAL GREEK POP 7" 60's NM- US $11.99 Buy It Now 14h 48m
For the Vagabond Believer (UK Import) CD US $4.97 Buy It Now 14h 56m
THE MONKEES -Monkee's Theme / I'm A Believer - UK 7" SINGLE-NM US $8.29 [0 bids]
JIM ED BROWN & HELEN CORNELIUS - Born Believer - Ex Con LP Record RCA Victor US $14.93 Buy It Now 15h 3m
1966 I'M A BELIEVER - THE MONKEES US $2.00 Buy It Now 15h 9m
Monkees Daydream Believer 1945 2012. Framed Silver Disc Record Vinyl US $83.02 Buy It Now 15h 11m
Tommy Overstreet "I'm A Believer" Record Album ABC Dot DOSD-2016 (Promo) US $5.00 [0 bids]
Monkees Daydream Believer Framed Silver Disc Record Vinyl US $83.02 Buy It Now 15h 18m
1966 - COLGEMS The MONKEES 45 Juke Box Record DAY DREAM BELIEVER / GOIN' DOWN US $13.00 Buy It Now 15h 24m
B.B King - Midnight Believer 8 Track Cartridge US $7.95 Buy It Now 15h 41m
Monkees Daydream Believer Framed Gold Disc Record Vinyl US $116.24 Buy It Now 15h 47m
The Monkees - I'm A Believer / Pleasant Valley Sunday / 7" 45 - VG US $2.00 [0 bids]
The Monkees - Daydream Believer / Steppin' Stone / 7" 45 - VG US $2.00 [0 bids]
Monkees Daydream Believer 1945 2012 Framed Gold Disc Record Vinyl US $116.24 Buy It Now 16h 17m
THE FIFTH ESTATE heigh ho / i'm a believer 1968 PSYCH MOD JUBILEE Spain PS 7'' US $9.99 [0 bids]
Great Mutant Skywheel-Make Me a Believer-Audio CD US $1.00 Buy It Now 16h 50m
THE MONKEES - (I'M NOT YOUR ) STEPPING STONE / DAYDREAM BELIEVER 45 RECORD! US $2.00 [0 bids]
Amy Morriss : Im a Believer CD (1995) US $3.91 Buy It Now 17h 34m
THE MONKESS - I'M A BELIEVER / I'M NOT YOUR STEPPIN STONE 45'S VINYL US $15.00 [0 bids]
The Monkees 45 vinyl record- I'm a believer US $0.79 [0 bids]
The Monkees Steppin' Stone / I'm A Believer Colgems 66-1002 w/ Picture Sleeve VG US $14.99 Buy It Now 17h 49m
Neil Diamond - I'm A Believer - Joy - JOYS210 - Stereo (LP) US $4.97 Buy It Now 17h 56m
MONKEES 20 Greatest Hits 1995 Original Classics Rhino CD I'm A Believer 60s Pop US $12.57 Buy It Now 18h 32m
LAURA DAWN "BELIEVER" 2001 UNPLAYED RADIO STATION MUSIC LIBRARY PROMO OOP CD US $0.89 [0 bids]
Tommy Overstreet I'm A Believer LP US $5.99 Buy It Now 18h 40m
COMMON The Dreamer / The Believer CD produced by No I.D. rap hiphop Talib Kweli US $7.50 Buy It Now 18h 41m
JOHN CAMPBELL ONE BELIEVER + HOWLIN MERCY 2CD MINI LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 18h 49m
Dennis Bell: Make Me A Believer / I'd Like Her To Be US $14.99 Buy It Now 18h 50m
THE MONKEES - DAYDREAM BELIEVER AND OTHER HITS - CD - NEW - US $11.57 Buy It Now 18h 54m
Anne Murray 45, Daydream believer/Broken hearted me US $1.99 Buy It Now 18h 57m
The Monkees Im a Believer US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Monkees Daydream Believer US $0.99 [0 bids]
Believer - Sanity Obscure CD - Retroactive - Brand New and RARE! US $9.35 [0 bids]
WE THE GATHERED - BELIEVER [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $7.97 Buy It Now 20h 53m
(EF464) Mariam The Believer, The String of Everything 2013 - DJ CD US $4.97 Buy It Now 21h 15m
THE MONKEES "GOIN' DOWN / DAYDREAM BELIEVER" RARE COLGEMS 1012 US $9.99 Buy It Now 21h 15m
THE MONKEES - DAYDREAM BELIEVER/GOIN' DOWN 45 RECORD US $40.00 Buy It Now 21h 59m
Daydream Believer: The Platinum Collection by Monkees (The) UK IMPORT CD Wea US $6.00 [0 bids]
22h
THE MONKEES Im A Believer and Steppin Stone 45 RPM Colgems 66-1002 US $15.99 [0 bids]
VINTAGE THE MONKEES I'M A BELIEVER 45LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
the monkees i'm a believer & steppin stone US $0.25 [0 bids]
believer sanity obscure rex mortification tourniquet devestation soulfly deicide US $39.99 [0 bids]
The Monkees 45 RPM (I'm Not Your) Steppin Stone & I'm A Believer COLGEMS RECORDS US $6.99 [0 bids]
The Monkees-Daydream Believer+Stepping Stone juke strip for Arista Flashback9120 US $3.00 [0 bids]
COMMON - Dreamer The Believer - CD US $24.50 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees, "I'm A Believer/(I'm Not Your Stepping Stone)" vinyl 45, PS, US $9.99 [0 bids]
I'm A Believer Popinjays UK CD single (CD5 / 5") 81TP7CD US $8.80 Buy It Now 1 day
Malea McGuinness cd True Believer US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
I'm A Believer EMF CD single (CD5 / 5") UK CDR6412 PARLOPHONE 1995 US $9.13 Buy It Now 1 day
38 SPECIAL stone cold believer 7" b/w rockin' into the night (ams7535) sticker s US $8.29 Buy It Now 1 day
38 SPECIAL stone cold believer 7" promo b/w rockin' into the night (ams7535) pic US $8.29 Buy It Now 1 day
ANNE MURRAY daydream believer 7" b/w do you think of me (cl16123) uk capitol 197 US $8.29 Buy It Now 1 day
SMASH MOUTH - SMASH MOUTH (New & Sealed) Rock CD Inc I'm A Believer US $4.14 Buy It Now 1 day
BLAMELESS town clowns 7" limited flame red vinyl b/w never believer (wok2046) pi US $8.29 Buy It Now 1 day
Ronnie Milsap - True Believer (1993) - New - Compact Disc US $4.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Daydream Believer Monkees 7" vinyl single record UK RCA-1645 RCA VICTOR 1967 US $18.19 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MONKEES Daydream Believer Collection CD (NEW 2005) Best of/ 20 Greatest Hits US $9.62 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MONKEES - DAYDREAM BELIEVER COLLECTION (New CD) Best of Hits Inc I'm A US $4.97 Buy It Now 1 day
GIANT I'm a believer/No way out/the big pitch 12" US $13.29 Buy It Now 1 day
I'm A Believer Popinjays UK 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) 81TP12 US $18.17 Buy It Now 1 day
Monkees - Daydream Believer / Goin' Down - original single Colgems 66-1012 US $2.50 [0 bids]
DANA ANGLE - TRUE BELIEVER (2013, CD, Indie) Ex-The Way - Classic CCM/Jesus Musi US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy BELIEVER music online Buy BELIEVER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BELIEVER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BELIEVER Sanity Obscure ratings distribution

BELIEVER Sanity Obscure reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Sanity Obscure" is the 2nd full-length studio album by US thrash metal act Believer. The album was first released through R.E.X. Records in 1990 and then again in 1991 through Roadrunner Records. There´s been a change in the lineup since "Extraction from Mortality (1989)" as Howe Kraft has been replaced by new bassist Wyatt Robertson.

The technical and aggressive thrash metal style from the debut album is continued here and references to bands like Coroner and Kreator are still pretty obvious. The music is generally a bit more sophisticated than on the debut album though and there´s even a progressive tinged track on the album in "Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)". That song features orchestral string parts composed by Kurt Bachman´s high school friend Scott Laird as well as female soprano vocals courtesy of Laird´s sister Julianne Laird Hoge. A really innovative and quite interesting mix of thrash metal and classical music that was ahead of it´s time in 1990. The rest of the tracks on the album are in a more "regular" technical and aggressive thrash metal style with Kurt Bachman´s raw and fiercely aggressive vocals in front, spitting out lyrics which are still written from a christian point of view. "Stop the Madness" is an anti drug song though. Believer also play a U2 cover track in "Like a Song". It´s placed as the last song on "Sanity Obscure", which was probably a good idea as it does break the flow of the album.

The musicianship are on a high level. Believer are a very tight playing unit. Sharp, edgy, and fast precision playing. The sound production is a bit darker than on the debut which provides the music a harder edge and slightly more atmosphere too. "Sanity Obscure" is in all departments a great second album by Believer and a step up from the otherwise promising debut album "Extraction from Mortality (1989)". As mentioned above this is also the album where Believer start toying with semi-progressive ideas which was something they would explore further on subsequent releases. "Sanity Obscure" is however still first and foremost a technically well played thrash metal album. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#216418) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars First of all I was stunned and pleasantly surprised to see Believer here on the progarchives as they are certainly one of the most innovative thrash acts of the late 80s and 90s. Their Christian/Bible based lyrics put them in that huge Christian metal category of the 80s when metal was king and everyone was into it.

Believer are a definitive blend of Morbid Angel meets Kreator with Slayer-esque riffs and dominating pounding drums throughout from Daub. But unlike those bands, rather than glorify and hail Satan, Believer are the opposite, featuring themes of turning to Christ and celebrating Satan's demise as told in Revelation. Bachman's lead vocals are the traditional gravelly tones as found in Morbid Angel, Obituary and Sepultura and the guitar riffing of Bachman and Baddorf is breakneck speed all out thrash with very little lead work, though notably there are some catchy melodies in each track.

Sanity Obscure is the title track that begins with a strange musical box effect that seems broken and edited. It's a weird way to begin a thrash album. Then the brutal riff crunches in, broken and jagged, with a beat missing. Then it stops suddenly with a brief acoustic flourish - welcome to Believer! The double lead break is divine. The lyrics point to the themes and concepts of Biblical principles as is evident in the scripture references. All the lyrics are featured in the liner notes of the CD, backed by scriptures, and worthy of quoting here to get a feel for the type of themes Believer are relaying:

The birth pains have begun, These omens of sanity are obscured, Hidden from the insane minds, Though seeing they do not see, They hear but understanding can't find, This people's heart has become calloused, Their eyes they willfuly seal, Otherwise their eyes might see, And in turn become healed, Blurred visions, Sanity obscure, [Matthew 13:39; Mark 13; I Corinthians 2:7; Romans 16:25; Revelation]

Wisdom's Call has a beautiful acoustic intro that is almost customary for the 80s metal machine. Of course the distorted wall of sound soon breaks in and the band launch into a memorable riff that chugs along with a strange time signature that is unsettling to the ears. The mighty power riff is ever present and a hallmark of the band. At 3:05 the riff breaks again into an uneven complex metrical shift, with stops and starts and off beat sections before the double lead guitar squeal in.

Idols of Ignorance has a really low grumbling riff that builds in pace and then settles into a standard fare speed lick. One of the fastest you will hear, the track pummels the ears. Daub's drums are frenetic double kick throughout. At 2:25 one of the most infectious grooves locks in. So precise and technical. It reminds one of Tourniquet (surely as deserved a place on the progarchives as Believer) and Deliverance, but Believer do it with such conviction and relentless speed.

The rapid fire riffing continues on Stop The Madness that begins with a hearbeat and a voice of a subject snorting coke then the heartbeat flatlines. Message: don't do drugs. The riff spins wildly out of control at 3:15 at shattering speed where time sigs are off the scale 7/8 3/4 8/6 I can't keep up.

Their second album features perhaps Believer's best and most progressive track Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) featuring beautiful orchestral arrangements from Scott Laird, the progressive links are due moreover to his vision. This is the track that peaked my interest in particular and it is very memorable and engaging. The female operatic singing of Julianne Laird Hoge is gorgeous and sung in the foreign opera tongue:

Libera me, Domine, de morte aeterna in die illa tremenda Quendo coeli movendi sunt et terra Dum veneris judicare saeculum per ignem (Deliver me, Lord from the eternal death On that dreadful day when heavens and earth Shall move, when you come to judge the world through fire) It is moving and features amazing violin and strings. It feels like some Therion or Nightwish in its operatic style but this was way ahead of its time before this type of fusion existed! The rest of the album is virtually full blown wall to wall thrash with blistering guitar licks that blaze at 100 miles an hour. It is not for the blessed meak and only the most open minded Christian need apply, but this music goes beyond the Christian fan as it has a lot to offer for any metal head who enjoys their thrash turned up to 11 and ultra-aggressive. Some of the tracks are positively brutal such as Idols of Ignorance with great lyrics:

Dreamers, enticed to turn away, Kneeling, to gods born from clay, Praying, to images carved to stone, Bowing, though sins are not atoned, Hearing, only silence through your cries, Seeing, nothing with lifeless eyes, Worthless, are the objects idolized, Blinded, men fall to their demise, Unholy, lovers of themselves, Money, the lust of which compels, Brutal, without self control, Defying, the Redeemer of their soul, I am the first and the last, Yahweh, Creator of ages past,

It all ends on the weird U2 cover version of Like a Song that is as out of place here as the last song on the previous album. It seems that Believer do not want us to take them too seriously, but this is a great cover version with some cool melodies and guitar motifs from a mainstream band hyped to the max with Believer's own inimitable style.

Overall, this is my favourite Believer album featuring some of their best work (Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)) and I recommend it to any one into the heavier more extreme technical metal with a progressive edge.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#216508) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009

Post a review of BELIEVER "Sanity Obscure"