SANITY OBSCURE

Studio Album, released in 1990

1. Sanity Obscure (6:06)
2. Wisdom's Call (3:44)
3. Nonpoint (5:14)
4. Idols of Ignorance (4:39)
5. Stop the Madness (3:56)
6. Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) (5:41)
7. Dust to Dust (5:02)
8. Like a Song (U2 Cover) (3:27)

Search BELIEVER Sanity Obscure lyrics

Search BELIEVER Sanity Obscure tabs

- Kurt Bachman / guitars, vocals
- Dave Baddorf / guitars
- Wyatt Robertson / bass
- Joey Daub / drums

Guest musicians:
- Scott Laird - orchestral composition of "Dies Irae"
- Julianne Laird Hoge - soprano on "Dies Irae"

Released in 1990 by R.E.X. Records and in 1991 by Roadrunner Records.
Some versions of the album include song "I.Y.F." (non-LP bonus track).
Re-released in 2007 (Europe) and 2008 (USA) by Metal Mind Productions in
digipack format.

Thanks to UMUR for the addition

BELIEVER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BELIEVER Sanity Obscure Music

Metal Blade 2011
Smashmouth I'm A Believer Promo Single US $81.99 [0 bids]
45m 5s
TOMMY OVERSTREET *DJ COPY* "I'M A BELIEVER" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Anacrusis Ag Silver Greatest Hits Re-mixes Re-recordings New Atheist Believer US $19.99 [0 bids]
Great NEW (Never Opened)Vintage Music LP- KENNETH COPELAND "I'm A Believer" US $3.29 Buy It Now 2h 17m
True Believer - Ronnie Milsap (CD 1993) US $11.80 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Daydream Believer and Other Hits by The Monkees (CD, 1999, Flashback Records) US $2.05 Buy It Now 2h 50m
BROOK BENTON: Movin' Day / Poor Make Believer 45 (dj) Soul US $10.00 Buy It Now 3h 6m
THE POPINJAYS - I'M A BELIEVER 12" WHITE LABEL VINYL 81TP12 US $10.59 Buy It Now 3h 17m
THE MONKEES/GOIN DOWN/DAYDREAM BELIEVER/COGEMS RECORDS 45 RPM US $5.00 [0 bids]
I'm a Believer - Splash New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $22.43 Buy It Now 3h 56m
The Monkees I'm Not Your Steppin' Stone and I'm a Believer 45rpm Picture Sleeve US $3.99 [0 bids]
SAM DEES After All 12" 4 Track B/w Edited Version,true Believer In Love And Alwa US $11.42 Buy It Now 4h 29m
COMMON The Dreamer / The Believer LP SEALED US $20.69 Buy It Now 4h 29m
MONKEES "Daydream Believer/Goin' Down" Colgems 1012, 1967 VG+/VG++ w/ps US $12.95 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Stephen Brown "Freeloading Believer" CD Album 14Track 2009 US $2.53 [0 bids]
Believer by Kutless (CD, 2012, BEC Recordings) US $6.95 Buy It Now 6h
VEIN CRANES - TRUE BELIEVER B/W PINK MOTHERFUCKER, ATTITUDE 7" EP GONER RECORDS US $5.98 Buy It Now 6h 36m
Johnny Cash~"A Believer Sings The Truth"~dbl lp vinyl record Cachet CL3-9001 US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 42m
THE MONKEES: GREATEST HITS CD [Rhino]! 20 TRACKS! I'M A BELIEVER, VALERI! VG+ US $7.99 [0 bids]
Vintage 45 RPM Record The Monkees I'm a Believer & Not Your Steppin' Stone US $12.00 Buy It Now 7h 58m
The Monkees I'm a Believer Colgems + sleeve 45rpm US $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 59m
Monkees I'm A Believer Steppin Stone with picture sleeve 7" Rock US $2.49 [0 bids]
The Monkees I'M A BELIEVER Best Of 36 Track Collection NEW SEALED 2 CD US $7.99 [0 bids]
The Monkees Daydream Believer 45 RPM Vinyl Record Single Colgems 66-1012 US $11.98 Buy It Now 8h 31m
The Monkees I'm A Believer 45 RPM Vinyl Record Single Colgems 66-1002 US $11.98 Buy It Now 8h 31m
Believer - Kutless US $11.08 Buy It Now 8h 44m
Sass Jordan Racine CD Make You a Believer Cry Baby Who Do You Think You Are ROCK US $5.95 Buy It Now 9h
Vintage Anne Murray 45 RPM Record Daydream Believer Do You Think of Me Capitol US $1.00 [0 bids]
The CRUCIFIED S/T 1st CD CHRISTian Thrash/Hardcore Crashdog Believer Vengeance US $57.77 Buy It Now 9h 29m
THE MONKEES "DAYDREAM BELIEVER COLLECTION VOLUME 1" CD [NEW/SEALED] US $13.37 Buy It Now 10h 30m
Monkees "Daydream Believer" Great Oz 7" US $8.94 Buy It Now 10h 56m
THE MONKEES I'M A BELIEVER 45 RECORD NM- DJ COLLECTION FREE SHIPPING! US $9.99 [0 bids]
The MONKEES Daydream Believer & Goin Down Colgems 45rpm 66-1012 Record US $7.99 Buy It Now 11h 56m
THE~MONKEES~DAYDREAM~BELIEVER~GOIN~DOWN~45~RPM~&~PS US $12.66 Buy It Now 13h 9m
Anne Murray - Daydream Believer / Do You Think Of Me 45 1979 VG / VG+ US $1.39 Buy It Now 14h 10m
PAUL SLADE believer and the wayfinder LP 11 track gatefold, some minor edgewear US $18.01 Buy It Now 14h 46m
Airdream Believer by US $5.53 Buy It Now 15h 6m
THE MONKEES-DAYDREAM BELIEVER b/w GOIN' DOWN-7" SINGLE-1967 RCA OZ ISSUE-SCARCE US $23.25 Buy It Now 16h 51m
Mariam The Believer - Blood Donation - 13 Track US $6.51 Buy It Now 17h 16m
Neil Diamond I'm a Believer / Crooked Street UK 1971 President Promo PT 342 US $16.29 Buy It Now 17h 54m
ROBERT WYATT- I'M A BELIEVER VINYL 7" 45RPM p US $1.61 Buy It Now 18h 29m
Midnight Believer & Take It H * NEW * Free Priority Shipping US $16.31 Buy It Now 19h 38m
I'm a Believer: The Best of the Monkees * NEW * Free Priority Shipping US $13.70 Buy It Now 19h 42m
NEIL DIAMOND: I'M A BELIEVER/ 1967 FIRST COMPILATION ALBUM/ NEAR MINT CONDITION US $16.29 Buy It Now 19h 45m
ATLAS MOTH - OLD BELIEVER NEW CD US $21.03 Buy It Now 20h 27m
IMPORTED CD Smashmouth: I'm a Believer USED US $4.00 Buy It Now 20h 31m
I'm a Believer and Other Hits by Monkees (The) (CD, Jan-1999, Flashback Records) US $5.49 Buy It Now 20h 34m
Jean Shepard - I'm A Believer - MINT SEALED LP US $10.95 Buy It Now 20h 51m
THE MONKEES 3inch CD snap pack JAPAN DAYDREAM BELIEVER US $23.00 Buy It Now 21h 33m
The Monkees I'm A Believer Flashback CD Used US $5.99 Buy It Now 21h 34m
THE MONKEES - DAYDREAM BELIEVER (JOHN STEWART) UK ORIGINAL 7" IN NEAR EX CON US $1.61 [0 bids]
J.J. Williams Make A Believer (Out Of Me Again) NM/Gonna Have A NM 1972 R US $4.99 Buy It Now 22h 40m
Believer, Songs by Wayne Moore US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE MONKEES - DAYDREAM BELIEVER / GOIN DOWN - COLGEMS 7" US $1.61 [0 bids]
B.B. KING "MIDNIGHT BELIEVER" US $19.99 Buy It Now 23h 39m
John Coltrane The Believer Berg NJ Pressing DG Mono VanGelder Plays EX US $32.00 [5 bids]
MONKEES 45S-LOT OF 2-I'M A BELIEVER, STEPPIN' STONE, PLEASANT VALLEY SUN. [0341] US $6.00 [0 bids]
Ronnie Milsap , Audio CD, True Believer US $7.09 Buy It Now 1 day
JOHN CAMPBELL-ONE BELIEVER LP 1991 VINYL RARE! EXCELLENT 1st PRESS US $81.54 [0 bids]
Set of 2 RUBY ANDREWS Zodiac 1015 1020 YOU MADE A BELIEVER / GOTTA BREAK AWAY 45 US $23.99 Buy It Now 1 day
HENRY PRIESTMAN - True Believer. UK CD +pr (The Christians, Buy 3 = Free P US $3.23 Buy It Now 1 day
JOHN COLTRANE - "THE BELIEVER", PRESTIGE, EXCELLENT US $3.13 [2 bids]
The Monkees Arista 45 Record #9119 VG+ I'm A Believer / Pleasant Valley Sunday US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MONKEES RARE PROMO 45/ "DAYDREAM BELIEVER" VERY CLEAN! US $16.50 [2 bids]
2011 Believer Transhuman Music CD Sealed US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees 3 inch CD single I'm A Believer / Sometime In The Morning / Words US $5.00 [0 bids]
The monkees japan japanese 45 daydream believer theme from import nesmith 7" US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Tommy Overstreet I'm A Believer / This Land Is A Big Land 7" 45 rpm Goldies NM US $3.48 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees 45 I'm A Believer Picture Sleeve Colgems 66-1002 US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RUBY ANDREWS-YOU MADE A BELIEVER OUT OF ME /WHERE HAVE YOU GONE-NORTHERN 45 on Z US $8.00 [1 bids]
NEIL DIAMOND - I'M A BELIEVER (IMPORT) NEW CD US $16.26 Buy It Now 1 day
The monkees japan japanese compact double 33 daydream believer star collector US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE DAMNED rare 7" punk single - Wipe Out, I'm A Believer, Let There Be Drums US $21.00 [0 bids]
6820 You Made A Believer (Out Of Me)-Ruby Andrews 45 rpm 7" single R US $1.89 [0 bids]
I'm a Believer and Other Hits by The Monkees (CD, 1999, Flashback Records) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Local Hero: Daydream Believer 12 Inch DJ Copy Ariola Records Made in USA US $8.22 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees - Daydream Believer (The Platinum Collection, 2005) New US $5.48 Buy It Now 1 day
The Essential Neil Diamond 2 CD SET 38 SONGS IM A BELIEVER RED RED WINE NEW US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TOMMY OVERSTREET - I'm A Believer - Ex Con LP Record US $21.19 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MONKEES - I'M A BELIEVER - THE BEST OF - 2 CDS - NEW!! US $13.03 [0 bids]
THE MONKEES - DAYDREAM BELIEVER - COLLECTION VOLUME 1 - FREE POST UK US $6.51 Buy It Now 1 day
JIM ED BROWN & HELEN CORNELIUS SIGNED COPY LP BORN BELIEVER US $15.39 [0 bids]
EMF Feat Reeves & Mortimer I'm A Believer Cd Single US $6.51 Buy It Now 1 day
Weather Girls Land Of The Non Believer (PS)7" Vinyl US $9.38 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees Daydream Believer Excellent Condition W/Picture Sleeve (no record) US $1.99 [0 bids]
RHETT MILLER - The Believer - RARE 12 Track CD Advance US $5.19 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees mexico mexican import 45 i'm a believer not your steppin stone tork US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MONKEES DAYDREAM BELIEVER 45 RPM SINGLE RECORD/ ORIGINAL JACKET US $9.99 [0 bids]
Jim Ed Brown & Helen Cornelius Born Believer 1977 Vinyl LP Record US $12.00 [0 bids]
(EI496) Troy Cassar-Daley, True Believer, 2 CDS - 1997 CD US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
JAZZ/ David Sanborn - Believer (Promo) US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Monkees 45 Daydream Believer/(I'm Not Your)Steppin Stone Arista Records US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Slow Down Molasses : Im An Old Believer CD (2008) US $11.90 Buy It Now 1 day
(ER560) Mariam The Believer, Above the World - 2014 DJ CD US $4.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Monkees 45 that was then this is now theme from usa daydream believer bonus US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Tommy Overstreet "I'm A Believer" US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MONKEES--PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY--(DAYDREAM BELIEVER)--PS--PIC--SLV US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MONKEES--PICTURE SLEEVE + 45--(DAYDREAM BELIEVER)--PS--PIC--SLV US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MONKEES--PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY--(I'M A BELIEVER)-PS--PIC--SLV US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Atomic Kitten - Right Now Japan Import CD Bonus Track Daydream Believer NEW US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy BELIEVER music online Buy BELIEVER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BELIEVER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BELIEVER Sanity Obscure ratings distribution

BELIEVER Sanity Obscure reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Sanity Obscure" is the 2nd full-length studio album by US thrash metal act Believer. The album was first released through R.E.X. Records in 1990 and then again in 1991 through Roadrunner Records. Thereīs been a change in the lineup since "Extraction from Mortality (1989)" as Howe Kraft has been replaced by new bassist Wyatt Robertson.

The technical and aggressive thrash metal style from the debut album is continued here and references to bands like Coroner and Kreator are still pretty obvious. The music is generally a bit more sophisticated than on the debut album though and thereīs even a progressive tinged track on the album in "Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)". That song features orchestral string parts composed by Kurt Bachmanīs high school friend Scott Laird as well as female soprano vocals courtesy of Lairdīs sister Julianne Laird Hoge. A really innovative and quite interesting mix of thrash metal and classical music that was ahead of itīs time in 1990. The rest of the tracks on the album are in a more "regular" technical and aggressive thrash metal style with Kurt Bachmanīs raw and fiercely aggressive vocals in front, spitting out lyrics which are still written from a christian point of view. "Stop the Madness" is an anti drug song though. Believer also play a U2 cover track in "Like a Song". Itīs placed as the last song on "Sanity Obscure", which was probably a good idea as it does break the flow of the album.

The musicianship are on a high level. Believer are a very tight playing unit. Sharp, edgy, and fast precision playing. The sound production is a bit darker than on the debut which provides the music a harder edge and slightly more atmosphere too. "Sanity Obscure" is in all departments a great second album by Believer and a step up from the otherwise promising debut album "Extraction from Mortality (1989)". As mentioned above this is also the album where Believer start toying with semi-progressive ideas which was something they would explore further on subsequent releases. "Sanity Obscure" is however still first and foremost a technically well played thrash metal album. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#216418) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars First of all I was stunned and pleasantly surprised to see Believer here on the progarchives as they are certainly one of the most innovative thrash acts of the late 80s and 90s. Their Christian/Bible based lyrics put them in that huge Christian metal category of the 80s when metal was king and everyone was into it.

Believer are a definitive blend of Morbid Angel meets Kreator with Slayer-esque riffs and dominating pounding drums throughout from Daub. But unlike those bands, rather than glorify and hail Satan, Believer are the opposite, featuring themes of turning to Christ and celebrating Satan's demise as told in Revelation. Bachman's lead vocals are the traditional gravelly tones as found in Morbid Angel, Obituary and Sepultura and the guitar riffing of Bachman and Baddorf is breakneck speed all out thrash with very little lead work, though notably there are some catchy melodies in each track.

Sanity Obscure is the title track that begins with a strange musical box effect that seems broken and edited. It's a weird way to begin a thrash album. Then the brutal riff crunches in, broken and jagged, with a beat missing. Then it stops suddenly with a brief acoustic flourish - welcome to Believer! The double lead break is divine. The lyrics point to the themes and concepts of Biblical principles as is evident in the scripture references. All the lyrics are featured in the liner notes of the CD, backed by scriptures, and worthy of quoting here to get a feel for the type of themes Believer are relaying:

The birth pains have begun, These omens of sanity are obscured, Hidden from the insane minds, Though seeing they do not see, They hear but understanding can't find, This people's heart has become calloused, Their eyes they willfuly seal, Otherwise their eyes might see, And in turn become healed, Blurred visions, Sanity obscure, [Matthew 13:39; Mark 13; I Corinthians 2:7; Romans 16:25; Revelation]

Wisdom's Call has a beautiful acoustic intro that is almost customary for the 80s metal machine. Of course the distorted wall of sound soon breaks in and the band launch into a memorable riff that chugs along with a strange time signature that is unsettling to the ears. The mighty power riff is ever present and a hallmark of the band. At 3:05 the riff breaks again into an uneven complex metrical shift, with stops and starts and off beat sections before the double lead guitar squeal in.

Idols of Ignorance has a really low grumbling riff that builds in pace and then settles into a standard fare speed lick. One of the fastest you will hear, the track pummels the ears. Daub's drums are frenetic double kick throughout. At 2:25 one of the most infectious grooves locks in. So precise and technical. It reminds one of Tourniquet (surely as deserved a place on the progarchives as Believer) and Deliverance, but Believer do it with such conviction and relentless speed.

The rapid fire riffing continues on Stop The Madness that begins with a hearbeat and a voice of a subject snorting coke then the heartbeat flatlines. Message: don't do drugs. The riff spins wildly out of control at 3:15 at shattering speed where time sigs are off the scale 7/8 3/4 8/6 I can't keep up.

Their second album features perhaps Believer's best and most progressive track Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) featuring beautiful orchestral arrangements from Scott Laird, the progressive links are due moreover to his vision. This is the track that peaked my interest in particular and it is very memorable and engaging. The female operatic singing of Julianne Laird Hoge is gorgeous and sung in the foreign opera tongue:

Libera me, Domine, de morte aeterna in die illa tremenda Quendo coeli movendi sunt et terra Dum veneris judicare saeculum per ignem (Deliver me, Lord from the eternal death On that dreadful day when heavens and earth Shall move, when you come to judge the world through fire) It is moving and features amazing violin and strings. It feels like some Therion or Nightwish in its operatic style but this was way ahead of its time before this type of fusion existed! The rest of the album is virtually full blown wall to wall thrash with blistering guitar licks that blaze at 100 miles an hour. It is not for the blessed meak and only the most open minded Christian need apply, but this music goes beyond the Christian fan as it has a lot to offer for any metal head who enjoys their thrash turned up to 11 and ultra-aggressive. Some of the tracks are positively brutal such as Idols of Ignorance with great lyrics:

Dreamers, enticed to turn away, Kneeling, to gods born from clay, Praying, to images carved to stone, Bowing, though sins are not atoned, Hearing, only silence through your cries, Seeing, nothing with lifeless eyes, Worthless, are the objects idolized, Blinded, men fall to their demise, Unholy, lovers of themselves, Money, the lust of which compels, Brutal, without self control, Defying, the Redeemer of their soul, I am the first and the last, Yahweh, Creator of ages past,

It all ends on the weird U2 cover version of Like a Song that is as out of place here as the last song on the previous album. It seems that Believer do not want us to take them too seriously, but this is a great cover version with some cool melodies and guitar motifs from a mainstream band hyped to the max with Believer's own inimitable style.

Overall, this is my favourite Believer album featuring some of their best work (Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)) and I recommend it to any one into the heavier more extreme technical metal with a progressive edge.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#216508) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009

Post a review of BELIEVER "Sanity Obscure"