THE DISCOVERY

Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Genesis Device (2:09)
2. Dysphoria (4:44)
3. Avalanche (5:15)
4. Everything's Mirrors (2:01)
5. Viceroy (4:44)

Search CLOUDKICKER The Discovery lyrics

Search CLOUDKICKER The Discovery tabs

- Ben Sharp / composer

Self Released

Thanks to Plankowner for the addition

CLOUDKICKER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CLOUDKICKER The Discovery Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Live With IntronautLive With Intronaut
Century Media 2014

More places to buy CLOUDKICKER music online Buy CLOUDKICKER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CLOUDKICKER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CLOUDKICKER The Discovery ratings distribution

CLOUDKICKER The Discovery reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'The Discovery' - Cloudkicker (7/10)

Beginning with an ill sense of calm, the wail of an air raid leads into the first wave of trademark djenty chaos that defines Cloudkicker. A few minutes it, you get a sense of what this album is about; taking the atonal, highly mathematical crushing rhythms that bands like Meshuggah have done before, and replacing abrasive vocals with underlying atmosphere and melody. Being that Meshuggah has always been a band I was never able to enjoy too much for it's abrasive vocals and lack of apparent melody, Cloudkicker seems like a gift from the clouds above, allowing me to enjoy math metal without any of the initial flaws to the formula that turned me off.

While you're going to need a tough ear to listen to the whole palette of madness in one listen, I find that melodies and 'mellow break' interludes are placed in just the right places; sort of like 'checkpoints' in an otherwise delightfully messy journey.

While it's going to sound like 'noise' to those not yet accustomed to the nuances and technique of this little genre, the stuff really is brilliant, if but a little samey throughout. It really takes a genius at the helm to make each instrument play in a different time, and yet still have it come together into something cohesive.

The highlight tracks are certainly 'Dysphoria' and the title track 'Discovery.' The other heavy tracks- while keeping up the same level of mathematical proficiency- end up not acheiving the marriage of melody and rhythm that those two do. The latter of the tracks mentioned works out to be around seven or eight minutes long, and has an entire portion devoted to a hypnotizing exercise in atmosphere; a crescendo that leads back into the typical heaviness, only making the heaviness sound even heavier in contrast.

The EPs this one-man project has delved out have very little, if not nothing on this. Ben Sharp has fashioned a remarkably solid debut creation here, and while a little bit of exploration outside his supposed 'comfort zone' would do wonders for the sophomore, this is a piece of music that has been quite enjoyable to listen to.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#281654) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Review by Negoba
4 stars Post Rock Djent Hybrid is Pure Pleasure

Of all the bands to spawn an entire new genre, Meshuggah is that last one I would have picked. I was not a big fan of the first examples I heard of the Djent sound ("Bleed" from obZen) though I certainly recognized there was something new and intense in the music. The hyper precise down-tuned math metal has spread and while I still dislike the version with harsh/screamed lyrics, some of the instrumental versions of Djent are the freshest things happening in music right now.

Cloudkicker is the name for the instrumental djent project of home recording artist BM Sharp. (There are actually several one man projects in the genre). Sharp leans heavily on post-rock ideas and the atmospheric quality melded with brutal riffing makes both sounds better. Cloudkicker's debut, THE DISCOVERY, is in my opinion his best work because of it is the most hybrid. While there are great riffs and furious technique on this album, it is most of all a sonic adventure. It is a scene, it is images, it is MUSIC!!! While a lot of post-rock (and virtually all post-metal) bores me to tears, the riffs add energy to the builds and drops. Conversely, unlike every other piece of metal I've ever listened to, this album virtually never makes me think as a guitar player. And the guitar playing is phenomenal. When I finish this album, I feel like I've been taken on a great journey.

This is a 4+ album that I'm just not quite ready to push into masterpiece rating. But only the Animals as Leaders album is better in the whole genre, and that includes the entire Meshuggah catalog. Nothing even from Sharp himself has matched his debut. Sometimes the freshness of the ideas gives a piece of music a special kind of life and I believe that is the case on THE DISCOVERY.

Send comments to Negoba (BETA) | Report this review (#341808) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 03, 2010

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
3 stars Cloudkicker's The Discovery is an instrumental barrage of metal. The imposing, only occasionally interrupted wall of sound sometimes grows tedious, but never horrendous. It is recommended to those who like extreme metal but cannot tolerate growling. The dredg-like intervals wisely inject a measure of emotion and sonic diversity into the album.

"Genesis Device" Emergency sirens blare, warning the innocent of the impending thrashing of guitars and drums.

"Dysphoria" What makes this an outstanding bit of metal are the subtle bends and slides from the electric guitars. Something about the second half makes it sounds like heavy metal Styx.

"Avalanche" No snow is coming down here; instead, it's a cataclysm of thunderous guitar noise interspersed with eerie quiet.

"Everything's Mirrors" Passing into quieter, more melodic music, this delay-laden piece breathes and invigorates what was heretofore a good but somewhat stuffy metal album.

"Viceroy" After the beautiful interlude from space, Cloudkicker reenters the atmosphere and plows into the earth with more heavy mayhem. A battery of drums floods the middle section.

"Segue:" As the title implies, this is an interlude. It whispers underwater-like tones and pulls the focus away from metal altogether, treating the listener to an Enya-like new age experience.

"The Discovery" A bit predictably, the lengthy title track launches right back into the hefty, coarseness after a tender respite. I appreciate the variations in the rhythm, particularly with the bass drum.

"Covington" The third of the softer, delay-inspired clean guitar intervals serves the album well, and is, I find, the most like dredg.

"Triumverate!" Here is sixty-three seconds of energized and rhythmically interesting metal.

"States" The final track maintains its heavy metal exterior, but it stands out from the others because it has a hollow center; that is to say, the middle passage of the music has much less intensity.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#768291) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 09, 2012

4 stars Haunting ambiance is the key. Thou shalt praise Ben Sharp's debut for its beauty, despite numerous imperfections. The soul of the album is, in my humble opinion, the most important part of musical creation - Ben Sharp knows that. I know that too, and I'm a slave of this rule. THE DISCOVERY is ... (read more)

Report this review (#412715) | Posted by bartosso | Tuesday, March 08, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I remember the first time I listened to this album. Starting with the air-raid sirens screaming through the intro "Genesis Device," I knew this album was going to be what I was looking for. For the longest time, I had been starved to find some new, exciting and original musical niche. Cloudkicker ... (read more)

Report this review (#271620) | Posted by msphelps | Saturday, March 13, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Right off the bat I'd like to say that though this album may not appeal to all fans of progressive rock, I find that there is a distinct Meshuggah inspired style here which everyone should at least explore, and for this reason I have awarded it four stars. What I love most about Cloudkicker is t ... (read more)

Report this review (#253897) | Posted by Fio | Tuesday, December 01, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CLOUDKICKER "The Discovery"