THE MISKOLC EXPERIENCE

9. Grand Finale (Postludium) 4:23

Total playing time 95:34

Bonus features (DVD only):
* Documentary (20 min.)
* Therion Goes Classic - Bucharest (16 min.)

Search THERION The Miskolc Experience lyrics

- Lori Lewis

Nuclear Blast Records
Release date: Europe: June 5, 2009 / North America: August 25
Recorded in International Opera Festival in Miskolc / Hungary

Thanks to progshine for the addition
and to proglucky for the last updates

THERION MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THERION The Miskolc Experience Music

Miskolc ExperienceMiskolc Experience
Nuclear Blast Americ 2009

More places to buy THERION music online Buy THERION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THERION DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THERION The Miskolc Experience ratings distribution

THERION The Miskolc Experience reviews

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars 'The Ultimate Therion Experience'? I think not.

I grabbed hold of the DVD and double CD box set eagerly and it cost me a fortune. I could have bought 3 awesome Cds but took the risk to indulge in the 'The Ultimate Therion Experience'. I watched the DVD and it was a classical orchestra playing the likes of Wagner, Mozart and Verdi, and classical composers I had never wanted to hear. 2 very accomplished opera singers, both creatures of beauty sung in various languages, and I felt like I was watching an opera which I never liked.

Where was the metal? Ah, Therion are trying something different. It was always their dream to play live with a full blown orchestra and massive choir the liner notes state. Big deal. It is boring! My wife was listening in the other room and walked in and asked me "what is this you are watching?" and I replied, "I wish I knew". I began to search for the receipt for the Cd frantically, "What time does the Cd shop shut?".

I then watched patiently as one classical piece after another was played and I began to long for 'Sirius B'. I had to skip through the classical stuff. It was painful to listen to that tenor and those screeching violins.

Finally, the second part of the set began. 'The Blood of Kingu' is belted out. The singer springs out from the wings and bangs his head trying to get audience members to do likewise. They comply like angry goats. The orchestra members look at one another in bemusement, some look like they want to escape through the nearest rabbit hole. It is quite amusing and worth a look if nothing else for that particular moment. My wife watched and said, "Those orchestra members look so worried, like a fish out of water," I think she nailed it. The whole performance is out of place. It would have been better to just have this set and nothing else. Talk about waking up your audience after all that sleepy Wagner! 'Sirius B' is next and it is incredible. Then one Therion treasure after another is given the full blown orchestra meets metal treatment. Nothing wrong with that but it's all too late. I had already been frustrated out of my mind with the first set. The other great tracks include 'Eternal Return', 'Draconian Trilogy' and 'Schwarzalbenheim (Svartalfheim)'. It is a great concert in this section and worth a curious look. However the problem is the opening section is really so geared towards lovers of classical opera that metal fans are going to be turned away. Therion are operatic metal but this is taking it too far.

Unfortunately, the CD package is only available in this expensive box set and not worth the trouble. I argued with the manager of the CD store and finally he succumbed to my rather persuasive argument, : "This Cd in essence is nothing more than a classical opera", he replied "What do you expect with Therion?", I replied "metal and opera, yes, but this is Mozart and Wagner with a touch of guitar", the argument went on and on, and I finally was able to swap it for 3 awesome Cds.

There are better Therion albums out there, this is for collectors only. If you want excellent orchestra merged with rock try Dream Theater's excellent 'Score', or 'Symphonic Yes' or 'Kiss Symphony' or 'Concerto Deep Purple'; not this Therion disaster.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#265322) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 10, 2010

2 stars I do not understand the rock musicians subservient attitude towards classic music and those who play it. Nice clothes in grandious buildings does not means good music. It is snobbery of the highest order. I do not think rock, metal or jazz is inferior to classic music or opera. The only differ ... (read more)

Report this review (#227635) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Monday, July 20, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THERION "The Miskolc Experience"