CYBION

Kalisia Cybion album cover

Buy KALISIA Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

Disc 1 - Cybion

1. Introduction / Domination (1:48)
(Part I: Revelation)
2. Aspiration Above (2:28)
3. Arken Bringer (3:24)
4. Alien Choice (2:39)
5. Awkward Decision (4:20)

(Part II: Elevation)
6. Blinded Addict (5:35)
7. Beyond Betrayal (3:34)
8. Blessed Circle (5:14)
9. Black Despair (3:28)
10. Blurred Exile (3:10)

(Part III: Regression)
11. Cast Away (5:04)
12. Crisis Bleedings (2:05)
13. Confined Contender (4:07)
14. Circuits Distortion (2:03)
15. Contact Experience (3:24)

(Part IV: Extinction)
16. Devices Awakening (2:52)
17. Down Below (3:08)
18. Distant Chronicles (3:51)
19. Digital Disclosure (5:28)
20. Deserved Eternity (3:19)

Disc 2 - Origins (Limited Edition Bonus Disc)
1. Tower of Vanities (10:00)
2. Chimera (9:20)
3. Lost Soul (7:03)
4. The Mental Frames - Part I (5:41)
5. How Could I (Cynic cover) (5:51)
6. A Fortune in Lies (Dream Theater cover) (6:02)
7. I Am the Black Wizards (Emperor cover) (6:08)
8. This Dazzling Abyss (Loudblast cover) (5:23)

Search KALISIA Cybion lyrics

- Christophe Godin / guitars
- Ludovic Loez / vocals
- Charly Sahona / guitars
- Sonm / vocals

Released through the band's website, kalisia.free.fr, either in a two disc digipak or a legal download off the site. The second disc of the digipak includes their early demo Skies and four cover songs.

Thanks to LiquidEternity for the addition
and to proglucky for the last updates

KALISIA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KALISIA Cybion Music

CybionCybion
Indie Europe/Zoom 2011

More places to buy KALISIA music online Buy KALISIA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KALISIA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KALISIA Cybion ratings distribution

KALISIA Cybion reviews

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars I suppose that there's about 50% chance that this is rushed rating, not so thorough considered and evaluated. But I also feel that right now is the proper time to decide whether this is good, or will end up well bellow, on junkyard of musical history. When I look to these ratings, then 5-star can be little bit (note this adverb) overrated, but one star try ? That's ridiculous, because what sentient being can give it so low rating ? Maybe someone who hates this kind of music (but this way of thinking leads only to eternal problem "how I should rate" and that's unsolvable one). For collectors only ? Never, that's it.

This album combines few very interesting things that wouldn't be so "tasty" if they would stand alone. Death metal vocals (I hate them, yet I love them in this combination, without them it would be very different and I dare to say, worse), heavier guitars (from time to time, you know), melodic (almost power metal-like) music in mixed with great atmosphere and also some kind of story. You don't have to read it at all, you can just feel it. It's hard for me to define how good this music is for me. So am I convinced of its advantages. One politician in our country used to say "socialism with human face". Even I don't like him, I'll alternate this into: "Death metal without death metal, but with human face." - Now that's not so bad deal, is it ?

We shall see. But I know I'm going to like it a lot. But who knows, many better albums fell later of 1-2 stars, as time went by. This is life. But not in all cases. It's like 33% of times I'll drop rating later. Or raise it (what's undoable in this case)

Really beautiful set of cover pictures. Hell, this is pure musical ecstasy, using all these tricks that makes prog metal good, also with occasional going up with woman tender vocals, acoustic guitar that can be heard through roaring of electric ones (spectacular) and also the best (I'm sure it's best, trust me) use of electronically modified voice I recently heard).

EDIT: 4(-), not so appealing this time. Probably, you have to be "in mood" to enjoy this, as it's not as good as it should have been after repeated listens.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#252503) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Review by Starhammer
5 stars Just out of this world...

I was introduced to this band through their brilliant cover of Dream Theater's A Fortune in Lies. They keep true to the original with a few twists, but most importantly they show how great 'When Day and Dream Unite' could have been with better production and vocals!

This track is found on the bonus disc of 'Cybion' which is split into two parts. The first half is the critically acclaimed 'Skies' demo released by the band in 1996, the second is a series of cover songs showcasing the band's inspirations, known as 'Origins'. Also featured along side A Fortune in Lies is How Could I (Cynic), I Am the Black Wizards (Emperor) and This Dazzling Abyss (Loudblast). From this you get an insight to what Kalisia's overall style is like, and this combination of 'Skies' and 'Origins' is so strong that is could easily be released as an album in its own right. But this is only the bonus disc!

'Cybion' itself is a concept album which follows a science fiction narrative. There is nothing worse than a great concept album with a poor concept, or one which is shoved into your face to the point that is devolves into little more than a glorified rock opera. 'Cybion' is quite the opposite. It is intricate, deep and subtle, and one of few albums which have me hooked on every word. It is performed in a mixture of English and Kal, an intensely researched fictional language devised solely for the purposes of this album, in a similar vein to Magma's Kobaļan.

Whilst there are twenty tracks on the album, 'Cybion' is designed to be listened to as a whole, one single piece from start to finish, and I can't imagine digesting it in any other way. The sound features a mixture of technical and melodic death metal, and a variety of vocal styles. As well as the bands evolved line-up, 'Cybion' also features an extensive list of guest performances including Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon, Star One) and Paul Masvidal (Cynic, Death).

The music itself was over ten years in the making, during which the band went through a number of changes in personnel. There is no doubt how much work and creativity went into making this album. However, time isn't everything, especially when it comes to music. It's worth remembering that some of the all time greatest jazz pieces were recorded in just one day. And so hours and hours of composition and innovation does not necessarily result in a proportional outcome, quite the opposite in fact as many of these extensive projects end up being over-hyped to inevitable disappointment, or go through so much chopping and changing that they lose sight of what really matters, the music.

So is it any good?

The Verdict: After extensive listening I have come to the conclusion that 'Cybion' is not only the best album of 2009, but also one of the greatest pieces of metal ever recorded. A truly phenomenal achievement.

Send comments to Starhammer (BETA) | Report this review (#562318) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 04, 2011

Review by Conor Fynes
5 stars 'Cybion' - Kalisia (9/10)

'Sci-fi metal' might be the best way to describe this labour of love from French band Kalisia. Over six long years, 'Cybion' was very slowly recorded, although when it was released in 2009, it became clear that the effort had paid off. For a band that has been around since the mid-nineties, Kalisia certainly have not been anywhere near consistently productive as a group, but this one gem of metal makes me wish they were. This is a suite of epic progressive metal that pulls out all of the tricks and assaults the listener with one of the proggiest dishes metal has served in recent years.

Although the elements of 'Cybion' that Kalisia pulls out are covered in the cliche of prog metal, it is all fueled up in such a way that it feels like the prog metal album, the one that virtually defines where the genre is at nowadays, and hopefully where it's going. 'Cybion' opens in the most 'grand' of ways, that being a symphonic overture. Immediately, a listener is pulled into the mindset that everything that Kalisia throws at them will be larger-than-life, and for the most part, this happens to be true. The entire hour-plus runs as one sprawling epic of sorts, and once it leaves the launch pad and bursts into galloping metal, it rarely comes back up for air.

There is a very modern progressive death metal sound to Kalisia, with synths and guitars being used in almost equal capacity. The growled vocals of Brett Caldas-Lima are contrasted by multiple singers in the tradition of a metal opera. Speaking of metal operas, Ayreon is a very notable influence in the music of this band, and- wouldn't you know it- Arjen Lucassen has a cameo here, along with Angela Gossow (of Archenemy) and Paul Masvidal (of Cynic), to name just a few. The point being, whoever is pulling the strings behind Kalisia has done everything conceivable in order to provide an over-the-top experience.

A slight issue I may have with 'Cybion' is precisely the fact that it stays bombastic and 'epic', and never really comes down to give the listener a break. That may seem like a silly criticism to some, but taking into account the fact that this album is an hour and fifteen minutes long, 'Cybion' can be alot to take in all at once. There is everything here from symphonic orchestrations to death metal and jazz, but it all knells under a banner of sci-fi oriented prog metal, much in the tradition of Ayreon. Kalisia have churned out a masterpiece here, and I believe the long work and meticulous efforts they put into it show in the end result. Incredible stuff.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#565986) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 10, 2011

2 stars A good friend of mine, Bill, showed two other friends and I one of the songs on this album. He told us we should buy it in lieu of it's $35 price. They're indie, proggy, talented, and I needed to start listening to metal. Where else to start but these guys? Bill has apologized to us ... (read more)

Report this review (#363147) | Posted by JohnBVail | Friday, December 24, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I really, really wish I could give this album 4.5/5. I really do. The music itself is perfect--the amazing blend of death metal, Dream Theater/Ayreon prog and countless other minor styles is nigh flawless. The only complaint, though serious, I can leverage against this album is that it is tiring. ... (read more)

Report this review (#271643) | Posted by msphelps | Saturday, March 13, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars J.R.R. Tokien of our Prog world, Kalisia is somewhat obscured but robust French Extreme/Tech Prog Metal band. Comprise of 6 instrumentalists which have well connection to many elites of prog society, the band release their highly expected album "Cybion" in 2009 with many distinctive guess musicians ... (read more)

Report this review (#236010) | Posted by Jadittir | Monday, August 31, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KALISIA "Cybion"